PDA

View Full Version : 1st game @ FBS

clawman
August 20th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Who opens their season @ an FBS school? Who is it and what are your teams chances of an upset?
Eastern Washington University opens @ #13 Washington Huskies. Looking through my red glasses I think we have a shot at winning if it is a shootout over/under 90 points.

tigonian02
August 20th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Who opens their season @ an FBS school? Who is it and what are your teams chances of an upset?
Eastern Washington University opens @ #13 Washington Huskies. Looking through my red glasses I think we have a shot at winning if it is a shootout over/under 90 points.
Good luck with that Bro!

JALMOND
August 20th, 2019, 04:14 PM

Portland State opens at Arkansas. Suey!!! Chance of an upset, maybe, if we show up in Fayetteville and every one else thinks it is in Little Rock. Otherwise, well, it is currently 0-0 so I guess, maybe....

Catbooster
August 20th, 2019, 04:27 PM
We open with Texas Tech. As much as I'd love a win, I'm not expecting one.

lucchesicourt
August 20th, 2019, 05:31 PM
EWU will lose to the Huskies. The coach is a little upset with the ways things turned out for the rematch of UCD verse EWU in the playoffs last yeat. I'd say he has a very big bone to pick with EWU.
d

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Temple will crush Bucknell. Could be one of the uglier scores next Saturday....

Daytripper
August 20th, 2019, 06:34 PM
Sam Houston opens at New Mexico. We have a puncher's chance. It will be a good measuring stick as to what this season will look like.

Thumper 76
August 20th, 2019, 07:04 PM
SDSU is at Minnesota to start the year. Should be a decent game, Minny should win but if SDSU is what their ranking says they shouldn’t get obliterated. Will be a interesting way to break in a new Freshman QB.

POD Knows
August 20th, 2019, 07:28 PM
SDSU is at Minnesota to start the year. Should be a decent game, Minny should win but if SDSU is what their ranking says they shouldn’t get obliterated. Will be a interesting way to break in a new Freshman QB.
How can any self respecting decent team lose to the Gophers. How, tell me how. If you guys lose lose to these zips I am dropping you in my poll.

Redbird 4th & short
August 20th, 2019, 09:01 PM
ISUr is at NIU ... we think we have a shot .. of course. We've won 2 straight FBS games ... beat a Northwestern team in 2016 who won their bowl game over Pitt, and easily beat a 2018 Colorado St team that was not as good as they were in 2017. NIU is a good MAC team, but lost a couple key guys off OL and DL ... so they're somewhere between those 2 teams, likely closer to CSU given their roster losses. But they are very tough defensively inside, unlike CSU.

NIU will be rightly favored, but we can play in this game if were on our game. One disadvantage is our defense will not sneak up on them .. they have all new coaches, but their new OC is the long time former SDSU OC .. honestly, that will hurt our chances more than anything .. he knows us well and will be ready for what we do defensively .. we won't catch him by surprise.

We definitely outplayed Northwestern, but I believe we caught them a little by surprise when we beat them in 2016 ... wasn't exactly a game they had circled on their calendar. It showed we were good enough to beat them, but if we played 3 times, they would have likely won the next 2 .. then we lost to EIU a week later. Such is ISUr the last 3 years.

But we're hoping this 2019 team finds the consistency .... it all rests in our QBs hands/arm, we're pretty solid everywhere else.

bonarae
August 20th, 2019, 09:06 PM
ETSU has some Q's on O but is our D that good enough for us to survive at The Rock? xchinscratchx (FYI, that's App State's home venue)

Derby City Duke
August 20th, 2019, 09:07 PM
JMU is at West By God Virginia in Morgantown. Of bigger concern is whether or not our fans will survive the cesspool that is WVU's stadium and fanbase...

This is a sexy pick for an upset in many circles. I don't run in those circles -- think we get run by the P5 school.

mvfcfan
August 20th, 2019, 09:40 PM
I picked ILST to beat NIU. NIU might have won the MAC but I was not impressed with them when I was at the Boca Raton Bowl last season.

We open against Kansas. I'm curious to see how we play against them. I picked us to lose 24 to 31 but we'll see. Knowing how the B12 is, we don't even need to play good defense to win, just some defense. I expect it to be close but I'm not sure if we'll be able to pull it out or not.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 09:59 PM
ETSU has some Q's on O but is our D that good enough for us to survive at The Rock? xchinscratchx (FYI, that's App State's home venue)

App State has Top 25 potential. The Mountaineers will roll.....

gofurman
August 20th, 2019, 10:27 PM
App State has Top 25 potential. The Mountaineers will roll.....

Yeah, despite not having left FCS too long ago the vegas line is 32 ! I might take ETSU + 32 but I think App wins by 17or more

Outsider1
August 20th, 2019, 10:39 PM
We open and close with two tuff FBS schools: North Texas on 8/31 and Mississippi State on 11/23. Although I think we can beat the spread against UNT I don't hold out much for MSU.....

Bison56
August 21st, 2019, 07:46 AM

Only thing I hate more than rabbits is gophers. SINK THE BOAT!!!!!!!!!

Redbird 4th & short
August 21st, 2019, 08:00 AM
I picked ILST to beat NIU. NIU might have won the MAC but I was not impressed with them when I was at the Boca Raton Bowl last season.

We open against Kansas. I'm curious to see how we play against them. I picked us to lose 24 to 31 but we'll see. Knowing how the B12 is, we don't even need to play good defense to win, just some defense. I expect it to be close but I'm not sure if we'll be able to pull it out or not.
Not sure what happened in their bowl game, but they had a pretty good season. Their defense was very good for MAC level teams, their offense not so much. The HC departed .. maybe he was gone before bowl game, but they were tough team last year .. they could run the ball and play defense, not so much passing though. So they have a lot of new coaches this year incl the SDSU OC. They got an FBS transfer QB from Cal who was a HS stud that apparently fell out of favor in 2018 after throwing for 3,000 yards in 2017 ... but his QBR was pretty low, so we'll see how good he is.

Thumper 76
August 21st, 2019, 09:57 AM

That’s impressive. I, too, hate the goofs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestCoastAggie
August 21st, 2019, 10:48 AM
I just hope we beat the spread against Duke. A 4th straight FBS win and first P5 scalp would do wonders for us in-state especially in light of our Chancellor publicly announcing R1 Research designation goals and long-term FBS aspirations.

KPSUL
August 21st, 2019, 11:48 AM

31036 These might help!

Iridebikes
August 21st, 2019, 11:57 AM

I appreciate your optimism. I would really like to see the EAGS take the Dawgs down but its a long shot. A really long shot. That's a pretty good team in Seattle and they still have more scholarships which, from what I can tell, is often the determining factor (depth) in FBS vs FCS games.

Sader87
August 21st, 2019, 12:16 PM
HC is at Navy 8/31....amazingly the 1st meeting of these two fine institutions in football.

We are still a work in progress, so I'm just hoping for a somewhat competitive tilt......current spread is 20.5

BEAR
August 21st, 2019, 12:25 PM
UCA plays at Western Kentucky next Thursday. They had a bad year last year and have kicked off a few players in the off season. I think we take them. It may be close, but I think we take them.

BEAR
August 21st, 2019, 12:27 PM
Now in a few more weeks we travel to Hawaii. How do you take a W from a team that paid for everyone to go to Hawaii, lodging, food, and a nice paycheck? It's almost unhuman. xlolx

ST_Lawson
August 21st, 2019, 01:12 PM
Now in a few more weeks we travel to Hawaii. How do you take a W from a team that paid for everyone to go to Hawaii, lodging, food, and a nice paycheck? It's almost unhuman. xlolx

Very few do...mostly because of all the travel and time change though. Hawaii is probably great if you're on vacation, but there's a lot of extra stress on a football team making that trip.
In 2014, when UNI played out there...I'd bet if you play that game at a neutral site anywhere on the mainland...UNI wins (they lost by 3).

UAalum72
August 21st, 2019, 04:05 PM
Albany at Central Michigan. Almost nobody's picking Albany, but both teams were pretty bad last year, so who knows?

tierre
August 22nd, 2019, 01:52 AM
Alcorn at Southern Miss. We are playing against our former head coach Jay Hopson. Heard their defense will be good but their offense will be suspect. They also stole our OC and made him their OL coach. If our offense can move the ball against their defense I have high confidence that this game will be close and just might be able to pull off the upset.

- - - Updated - - -

Alcorn at Southern Miss. We are playing against our former head coach Jay Hopson. Heard their defense will be good but their offense will be suspect. They also stole our OC and made him their OL coach. If our offense can move the ball against their defense I have high confidence that this game will be close and just might be able to pull off the upset.

Iridebikes
August 22nd, 2019, 07:47 AM
EWU will lose to the Huskies. The coach is a little upset with the ways things turned out for the rematch of UCD verse EWU in the playoffs last yeat. I'd say he has a very big bone to pick with EWU.
d

What coach? Please explain who and what you're referring too!!

KPSUL
August 22nd, 2019, 09:23 AM
Albany at Central Michigan. Almost nobody's picking Albany, but both teams were pretty bad last year, so who knows?

Albany always seems to have at least one big upset win every season, so "who knows?" would also be my prediction!

CappinHard
August 22nd, 2019, 10:51 AM

Hmm... that gave me a t shirt idea. Would be fun to wear to the game. If we lose, it won't be fun to wear anymore, but if we win, it will be sweet to have...

https://cdnd.lystit.com/200/250/tr/photos/ae/1f1dcfd9/tailgate-red-Mens-Minnesota-Row-The-Boat-T-shirt.jpeg https://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac299/benpierson/jackst1_zps5wbyk954.png

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2019, 11:24 AM
Ones I see FCS having a "reasonable" chance
Central Arkansas at WKU
Northern Colorado at San Jose State
Sam Houston State at New Mexico
Illinois State at Northern Illinois

If the stars align perfectly P5 scalps?
James Madison at West Virginia
Nicholls State at Kansas State
Indiana State at Kansas

Redbird 4th & short
August 23rd, 2019, 09:54 AM
Hmm... that gave me a t shirt idea. Would be fun to wear to the game. If we lose, it won't be fun to wear anymore, but if we win, it will be sweet to have...

https://cdnd.lystit.com/200/250/tr/photos/ae/1f1dcfd9/tailgate-red-Mens-Minnesota-Row-The-Boat-T-shirt.jpeg https://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac299/benpierson/jackst1_zps5wbyk954.png

Classic, it's FCS vs FBS .. in 4 weeks, nobody will care if you wind up losing .. unless you don't compete at all .. would be fun for fanbase to do it. Fleck likes to put himself way out front with this stuff .. that makes it fair game to make fun of. As long as players and coaches show proper respect for opponents, who cares what fans do.

CappinHard
August 23rd, 2019, 10:01 AM
Classic, it's FCS vs FBS .. in 4 weeks, nobody will care if you wind up losing .. unless you don't compete at all .. would be fun for fanbase to do it. Fleck likes to put himself way out front with this stuff .. that makes it fair game to make fun of. As long as players and coaches show proper respect for opponents, who cares what fans do.

Very true. It would definitely be fun if a lot of people did it, but this is a 1 of 1 edition. Maybe when the Jacks are up late, they'll put me on national TV. xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
August 23rd, 2019, 11:12 AM
Very true. It would definitely be fun if a lot of people did it, but this is a 1 of 1 edition. Maybe when the Jacks are up late, they'll put me on national TV. xdrunkyx

Hell if we’re up at all and they spot you I bet you become a regular during the game

CappinHard
August 23rd, 2019, 01:25 PM
Hell if we’re up at all and they spot you I bet you become a regular during the game

That would be fun... Until I drink all the shooters I smuggle into the game and before you know it I'm doing the truffle shuffle on national TV.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Q56SF4czEtSZG/giphy.gif

ColgateTD
August 23rd, 2019, 02:08 PM

COLGATE OPENS VS. VILLANOVA THIS SATURDAY IN HAMILTON. SHOULD BE A GOOD ONE. WILL BE ON CBS SPORTS TV.