View Full Version : Mercer @ Western Carolina

The Cats
August 20th, 2019, 11:30 AM
Mercer travels to Cullowhee.

When: Saturday, August 31 at 6:00 pm
Where: E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field, Cullowhee, NC
Radio: Catamount Sports Network
TV/video: Nexstar / ESPN+

Last season, the Bears won in Macon, (https://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12100&ATCLID=211776822)59-46 (https://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12100&ATCLID=211776822).

Western's QB, Tyrie Adams accounted for four touchdowns – two rushing and a pair of passing TDs – as the Catamounts piled up 710 yards of total offense, finishing one yard shy of the school record.

Mercer QB Kaelan Riley threw for three touchdowns and 294 yards passing for the Bears who finished with 572 yards of offense including 278 yards rushing and 294 yards passing in a balanced attack.

Your thoughts.......

The Cats
August 20th, 2019, 11:37 AM
I think the WCU defense will surprise folks this season after two years of poor performance. DC John Wiley now has three seasons of his recruits to work with and I think there will be a big improvement this season, as Wiley is a very good DC. Special teams improve and the OL holds up, making for a WCU win over the Bears.

Mocs123
August 20th, 2019, 11:38 AM
The scoreboard may break in this one, as both teams should bring in high octane offenses. My guess is the Bears pull off another close win but as I have said before with Tyrie Adams anything can happen.

PaladinFan
August 20th, 2019, 02:28 PM
The scoreboard may break in this one, as both teams should bring in high octane offenses. My guess is the Bears pull off another close win but as I have said before with Tyrie Adams anything can happen.

Strange things happen in Cullowhee early in the season.

FUBeAR
August 20th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Just thought readers of this thread / poll voters might be interested in this exchange / info from another thread...

I found some quick highlights from the Furman/WCU game last year, and it really emphasizes my "WCU goes as far as Adams carries them" idea.

Watch the back to back plays at :35 http://www.catamountsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=12100&id=6291335

First one, Adams escapes an Adrian Hope sack (a feat in itself), keeps the play alive, and flicks it to his back.

The second one, Adams is going to the turf and still throws on a dime for a touchdown.

You'd be hard-pressed to find many QBs in the FCS period that would even attempt that second throw, much less complete it.

Yep...also, he made those plays AFTER he had been ROCKED multiple times by FU’s D throughout the game. FUBeAR witnessed those ROCKINGS from an up-close-and-personal vantage point (‘cameos appearances’ on both of those plays you called out)...sounded like car crashes when they were hitting him...that was with an almost-all-R-Sr. O-Line. Absolutely no one should question that young man’s heart & toughness...but FUBeAR wonders how he’ll fare this year with 5 Freshmen on the OL 2-Deep & possibly True Freshmen Starting at Center & 1 OG? - 2019 POSITION-BY-POSITION OUTLOOK: OFFENSIVE LINE - Grady Thomas represents lone returning starter from last year - http://www.catamountsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12100&ATCLID=211809589

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afjxD_ywvS4

BTW - I do like a lot of the drills they are doing in their video that goes with the article I posted above...seriously...that’s some good stuff.

PaladinFan
August 20th, 2019, 06:58 PM
I picked Mercer. Adams will be the best player on the field, but Mercer will have the more complete team.

My guess is it comes down to a late turnover and the winner is going to have to score 35+.

I don't get too wrapped up in WCU replacing offensive linemen - its not like the more veteran group last year was really keeping guys off #12.

FUBeAR
August 20th, 2019, 09:13 PM
Adams will be the best player on the field
PERFECT! Last year’s Payton Award winner & current Pittsburgh Steeler QB, Devlin Hodges, was “the best player on the field” (on his Home Field) in the SoCon opener for both Teams last year...or was he?

P
A
S
S
I
N
G
|
R
U
S
H
I
N
G
|
TOT
TOT

Player
Cmp
Att.
Yds.
TD
INT
Long
Sack
|
|
Att.
Gain
Loss
Net
TD
Lg.
Avg.
|
|
Net Yds.
TD

Robert Riddle - Mercer
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Player
Cmp
Att.
Yds.
TD
Int.
Long
Sack
|
|
Att.
Gain
Loss
Net
TD
Lg.
Avg.
|
|
Net Yds.
TD

Devlin Hodges -Samford
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

MERCER -VS- #9 SAMFORD

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

Mercer

Samford

...Too bad WCU will not be ranked in the Top 10 when this year’s game is played.

WestCoastAggie
August 21st, 2019, 07:51 AM
Western Carolina will have plenty of talent this season. While they may be young, this is one team that could definitely make a surprise run in the SoCon for a playoff spot and the conference title.

The Cats
August 21st, 2019, 08:13 AM
Western Carolina will have plenty of talent this season.

This is what a lot of the pundits have chosen to ignore about the 2019 Cats. All it takes for the Cats to make a run is an improved defense, which we will see this season.

The Cats
August 21st, 2019, 08:15 AM
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lIBm3id5-A4/XVyeru42ApI/AAAAAAAAFUk/klHHyAcMKfsDoN27FZG_9ok6yW6Y5BnbQCLcBGAs/s1600/mercer%2Btale%2Bof%2Btape.JPG

WestCoastAggie
August 21st, 2019, 10:45 AM
This is what a lot of the pundits have chosen to ignore about the 2019 Cats. All it takes for the Cats to make a run is an improved defense, which we will see this season.

You all had a masterful winter with recruiting, even snagging a few highly-touted recruits from A&T and other in-state schools. I personally think the in-state tuition price cap is helping your WCU athletics as an unintended consequence. That scholarship bill reduction is definitely helping go after kids that you might not have reached for in the past.

The Cats
August 21st, 2019, 11:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGcF6O9HKHk&t=189s

PaladinFan
August 21st, 2019, 12:38 PM

Not to be contrarian, but have you seen WCU play the last few years? Do you blame folks for being down on the Cats' defense?

The Cats
August 21st, 2019, 12:43 PM
Not to be contrarian, but have you seen WCU play the last few years? Do you blame folks for being down on the Cats' defense?

I've seen the Cats play the last 40+ years, so yeah, I certainly did see the last few years. I certainly don't blame anyone for being down on Western's defense, but things can and do change. I think (and hope) you'll see that change materialize this year with the defense, if not the DC needs to go. I would say the HC need to go, but uh, ...choke, clears throat.... he just got a new 5 year extension.

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2019, 07:39 AM
I've seen the Cats play the last 40+ years, so yeah, I certainly did see the last few years. I certainly don't blame anyone for being down on Western's defense, but things can and do change. I think (and hope) you'll see that change materialize this year with the defense, if not the DC needs to go. I would say the HC need to go, but uh, ...choke, clears throat.... he just got a new 5 year extension.

I don't watch every WCU game, but I've always seen it as more of a recruiting/development/fundamentals problem and less of a defensive coordinator problem.

This is sort of the idea:

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1046143688764616704?s=20

This was the play that pretty much broke WCU in the game against Furman. The Cats had the play decently defended - guys covered, FB missed a block, and the LOLB had a clear path to the QB. It's everything else on that play that seems to be WCU's problem on defense:

1. Roberts throws over the OLB's head, who has his hands down.
2. OLB shoves, does not tackle the opposing QB (I mean, you get a clean shot at the QB and you push him?)
3. Wynn catches the ball 5 yards behind the LOS and the WCU safety looks like he's never played football before. Not only does he not make the tackle, he doesn't touch Wynn and falls flat on his backside.
4. The other safety starts running perpendicular to the sideline before realizing that Wynn is outrunning him.
5. Safety attempts a diving arm tackle after taking a bad angle. You aren't bringing down Devin Wynn with an arm tackle.
6. ROLB (#25) might have the best shot of anyone of keeping Wynn out of the end zone, and he appears to be jogging the whole time.
7. CB (#17) almost makes the play, but even he doesn't appear to be running that hard when compared to Furman's Avery Armstrong #10
8. Again, you aren't bringing down Devin Wynn with an arm tackle.

That play should have been a sack or a loss. Instead, it was a 50 yard touchdown run that basically put the game out of WCU's reach.

I realize you can nitpick a single bad play from any team's season, but it also seems like this is an example of what I think plagues WCU's defense - poor fundamentals and poor tackling.

The Cats
August 25th, 2019, 12:46 PM
bump

wcugrad95
August 26th, 2019, 07:40 AM
To PaladinFan’s post above, IMO the plays that broke WCU vs FU last year were the KO return for a TD early and the Cats fumbling 2 times in the red zone (once at the one yard line right before half). I know FU led most of the game (comfortably at times), but that is 17-21 points on those 3 possessions in what was ultimately a one score outcome.

I totally agree that recruiting matters, and WCU had pretty much focused on Offensive recruiting until the last 2 classes. Another opinion, but for the past 2 or 3 seasons we have not had the players and/or the experience to do what Wiley wants to do on D. Entering his 3rd year, and with some experienced guys back and a few really good looking FR, all the Western fans are at least hopeful we see a better defensive showing in 2019. Having Nate Link decide to not play after graduating with a year of eligibility left hurts, but the D “has to be” better than 2018.

For this game, a big “if” is the WCU o-line. Assuming they play ok and/or our skill guys can mask them having only a mediocre showing (a true Fr and RS FR are listed as starters), this could certainly be another track meet. But scoring 38 against FU and 46 against Mercer in 2018 AND losing both of those games make it clear if the defense doesn’t step up we are looking at another 3-win type season. If they do, the Cats can be a tough game for anybody.

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2019, 10:40 AM
To PaladinFan’s post above, IMO the plays that broke WCU vs FU last year were the KO return for a TD early and the Cats fumbling 2 times in the red zone (once at the one yard line right before half). I know FU led most of the game (comfortably at times), but that is 17-21 points on those 3 possessions in what was ultimately a one score outcome.

I totally agree that recruiting matters, and WCU had pretty much focused on Offensive recruiting until the last 2 classes. Another opinion, but for the past 2 or 3 seasons we have not had the players and/or the experience to do what Wiley wants to do on D. Entering his 3rd year, and with some experienced guys back and a few really good looking FR, all the Western fans are at least hopeful we see a better defensive showing in 2019. Having Nate Link decide to not play after graduating with a year of eligibility left hurts, but the D “has to be” better than 2018.

For this game, a big “if” is the WCU o-line. Assuming they play ok and/or our skill guys can mask them having only a mediocre showing (a true Fr and RS FR are listed as starters), this could certainly be another track meet. But scoring 38 against FU and 46 against Mercer in 2018 AND losing both of those games make it clear if the defense doesn’t step up we are looking at another 3-win type season. If they do, the Cats can be a tough game for anybody.

I guess my point is that it really may not be a recruiting issue. You can't let a running back catch a ball 5 yards deep, have the first man whiff, half the team jog, and attempt two arm tackles. That's not a talent question, that's an effort question.

SU DOG
August 26th, 2019, 11:28 AM
I do hope the Cats have a much improved defense, but I will have to see it to buy in. IMO, Mercer may just be the most underrated team in the SoCon this year. They have the talent and their coach probably knows he is in must win situations. I have to go with the Bears in this one. Interesting game for sure.

gofurman
August 26th, 2019, 11:34 AM
I do hope the Cats have a much improved defense, but I will have to see it to buy in. IMO, Mercer may just be the most underrated team in the SoCon this year. They have the talent and their coach probably knows he is in must win situations. I have to go with the Bears in this one. Interesting game for sure.

B L knows what to do when he has QBs. Last year Mercer was really hurt w both QBs going down. They are a v scary team to me

Mocs123
August 26th, 2019, 11:57 AM
If WCU fields a good defense in 2019 they will be a contender as their offense should be as potent as anyones. Of course, I am too skeptical the defense will be much improved, but we don't really know at this point.

I'll also add that I think this is a must win game for Mercer. Despite what some others think, I feel like Bobby Lamb's seat is warm and if he loses this game, it will go from warm to hot really quick. I get the feeling that the Mercer administration wants to win and have put forth the resources to win, and they want to see results.

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2019, 12:07 PM
If WCU fields a good defense in 2019 they will be a contender as their offense should be as potent as anyones. Of course, I am too skeptical the defense will be much improved, but we don't really know at this point.

I'll also add that I think this is a must win game for Mercer. Despite what some others think, I feel like Bobby Lamb's seat is warm and if he loses this game, it will go from warm to hot really quick. I get the feeling that the Mercer administration wants to win and have put forth the resources to win, and they want to see results.

There's enough parity in the league that you don't want to start 0-1 early in the season with the top teams still to come. Applies to both teams.

Mocs123
August 26th, 2019, 12:15 PM
There's enough parity in the league that you don't want to start 0-1 early in the season with the top teams still to come. Applies to both teams.

The only difference to me is that with WCU handing Speer a 5 year extension last season that tells me the administration is content with mediocrity. His job is safe.

gofurman
August 26th, 2019, 12:35 PM

not sure about the Western O as much as some. Adams is awesome and the WRs are good but the OL is a big Q this year w almost all new guys

Catamount87
August 26th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Suffice to say, there should be a hell of a game in Cullowhee this Saturday. I'm expecting another high scoring affair.

The Cats
August 26th, 2019, 08:22 PM
The only difference to me is that with WCU handing Speir a 5 year extension last season that tells me the administration is content with mediocrity. His job is safe.

I could not have been said better, and it's a very true statement. It's been proven, chancellor, after chancellor, after chancellor.

--------------------------
When you have over 20k (+) applications each year for admissions, for only 1,980 freshman positions, the past and current administration's just do not see the need to sink dollars into athletics for "championship athletics" to lure students to Cullowhee.

BearDownMU
August 26th, 2019, 10:00 PM
I just expect someone to roll out the orange carpet for me, FUBeAR, and Ursus when we roll into town on Saturday. ;)

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2019, 11:28 PM
Just looked at WCU’s 2-Deep for Mercer. 17 Freshmen on there. Only 3 Starters though - Center, Right OT, and Punter.

Are 17 newbies (7 on O, 6 on D, 4 on ST’s) on the 2-deep a lot?

Are 2 FR starting on the OL indicative, predictive, neither or both?

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2019, 11:43 PM

I'll also add that I think this is a must win game for Mercer. Despite what some others think, I feel like Bobby Lamb's seat is warm and if he loses this game, it will go from warm to hot really quick. I get the feeling that the Mercer administration wants to win and have put forth the resources to win, and they want to see results.It’s no secret, unless FUBeAR has really bad info - 2019 is the final year of Coach Lamb’s contract. IMO, he is extremely well-liked & respected by the Executive & Athletic Leadership of Mercer University. Mercer’s Players stay out of trouble (for the most part), they graduate (for the most part), perform exceptionally well (on the average) in the classroom, contribute to the ‘life’ of the University during their attendance, and become productive citizens upon graduation. Mercer’s Football Team competes hard on the field & has been competitive, from Day 1, in ALMOST every game they have played. They do not embarrass the school with their on-field performances. All that said, the Executive & Athletic Leadership of Mercer expect their Football Team to win SoCon Championships and/or compete in the FCS Playoffs.

Thus, every SoCon game & every OOC game for Mercer this year is a must-win game, with the exception of the final game of the season at North Carolina...and even that one could, possibly, become a must-win game.

The ‘seat’ will remain at a constant temperature throughout the season unless the Bears clinch the SoCon Championship and/or become a Playoff ‘lock’ early, at which point, it will cool dramatically.

If playing with a ‘must-win attitude’ is helpful, then the Bears will be well-served by that in 2019. If it is not, then it will be to their detriment.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2019, 06:38 AM
It’s no secret, unless FUBeAR has really bad info - 2019 is the final year of Coach Lamb’s contract. IMO, he is extremely well-liked & respected by the Executive & Athletic Leadership of Mercer University. Mercer’s Players stay out of trouble (for the most part), they graduate (for the most part), perform exceptionally well (on the average) in the classroom, contribute to the ‘life’ of the University during their attendance, and become productive citizens upon graduation. Mercer’s Football Team competes hard on the field & has been competitive, from Day 1, in ALMOST every game they have played. They do not embarrass the school with their on-field performances. All that said, the Executive & Athletic Leadership of Mercer expect their Football Team to win SoCon Championships and/or compete in the FCS Playoffs.

Thus, every SoCon game & every OOC game for Mercer this year is a must-win game, with the exception of the final game of the season at North Carolina...and even that one could, possibly, become a must-win game.

The ‘seat’ will remain at a constant temperature throughout the season unless the Bears clinch the SoCon Championship and/or become a Playoff ‘lock’ early, at which point, it will cool dramatically.

If playing with a ‘must-win attitude’ is helpful, then the Bears will be well-served by that in 2019. If it is not, then it will be to their detriment.

Just my perspective, but he's got Mercer in largely the same spot Furman was during the last four or so years of his tenure in Greenville. .500ish team with some talent, players that keep their noses clean, and a team that plays a lot of close games and both wins and loses big games.

wcugrad95
August 27th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Looking at some of the available info on the teams. Of particular note for Mercer are 8 starters returning on both sides, and obviously the return of Riddle. WCU has 13 returning starters (6 on offense and 7 on defense). Our major losses are on both lines (and one of the better punters in SoCon history - but he played hurt most of last year). From our defensive 2-deep the last 3 or 4 games of 2018, we return I believe 17 of the 22 guys). I am basing those numbers on our media guide and 2-deeps at the end of 2018.

I did take a longer look at the "awful" WCU defensive numbers from last year compared to Mercer's, and was at least a little surprised:

Team
Mercer
WCU

Pts/game

Yds/game

Interceptions

Fumbles recovered

Sacks

Tackles for Loss

The glaring number is clearly points per game. The other stats are pretty even or actually leaning a little more towards Western (more turnovers and double the sacks). Giving up big plays for scores and some "not so special" special teams plays also hurt us in 2018 and were a big part of the point differential (Mercer's matchup with Memphis obviously impacted these stats for the Bears). I know people are questioning the offensive line in Cullowhee because of the losses we endured there, but I still expect us to field a pretty solid to possibly really good offense. And in reality, that line only had 1 member of the 1st or 2nd All-SoCon teams - meaning we are replacing a ton of experience, but not necessarily all-time greats.

I think if Mercer or WCU can figure out a way to simply get solid on defense (i.e. find a way to keep other teams under 30 points), they could have a good season. Find a way to keep teams under 24 points and either squad could have a break-out year. I have seen a number of people think Mercer could do it - I have not seen many other than Catamount hopefuls saying that about Western.

Always exciting to kick the season off. One of us is going to be in good shape after Saturday, and the other is going to be behind the proverbial 8-ball. I honestly don't know what to expect right now, as there will be a lot of talent on the field and mistakes, penalties, and effort will make the difference (like they always do).

wcugrad95
August 27th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Just looked at WCU’s 2-Deep for Mercer. 17 Freshmen on there. Only 3 Starters though - Center, Right OT, and Punter.

Are 17 newbies (7 on O, 6 on D, 4 on ST’s) on the 2-deep a lot?

Are 2 FR starting on the OL indicative, predictive, neither or both?

It is actually 7 newbies - 10 of the 17 you cite are RS Freshman, and in today's game after spending a season in the program I think it is expected to see lots of RS FR and true SO showing up on 2-deeps. As for indicative or predictive, heading into the first game action it is hard to tell. I'd much rather be playing Gardner Webb or North Greenville rather than a SoCon opponent in game 1. Our 2-deep actually lists out 63 guys (including the special teams positions and a couple of "-OR-" for the 2nd-team at a few positions). So I am not sure how to interpret 7 true freshman out of 63 spots. The true starters mentioned (C as true FR, OT as RS FR, and Punter as true FR) obviously have some pressure to perform.

Mocs123
August 27th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Just as a comparative point, Chattanooga's two deep has seven freshmen total, four redshirt freshmen and three true freshmen.

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Looking at some of the available info on the teams. Of particular note for Mercer are 8 starters returning on both sides, and obviously the return of Riddle. WCU has 13 returning starters (6 on offense and 7 on defense). Our major losses are on both lines (and one of the better punters in SoCon history - but he played hurt most of last year). From our defensive 2-deep the last 3 or 4 games of 2018, we return I believe 17 of the 22 guys). I am basing those numbers on our media guide and 2-deeps at the end of 2018.

I did take a longer look at the "awful" WCU defensive numbers from last year compared to Mercer's, and was at least a little surprised:

Team
Mercer
WCU

Pts/game

Yds/game

Interceptions

Fumbles recovered

Sacks

Tackles for Loss

The glaring number is clearly points per game. The other stats are pretty even or actually leaning a little more towards Western (more turnovers and double the sacks). Giving up big plays for scores and some "not so special" special teams plays also hurt us in 2018 and were a big part of the point differential (Mercer's matchup with Memphis obviously impacted these stats for the Bears). I know people are questioning the offensive line in Cullowhee because of the losses we endured there, but I still expect us to field a pretty solid to possibly really good offense. And in reality, that line only had 1 member of the 1st or 2nd All-SoCon teams - meaning we are replacing a ton of experience, but not necessarily all-time greats.

I think if Mercer or WCU can figure out a way to simply get solid on defense (i.e. find a way to keep other teams under 30 points), they could have a good season. Find a way to keep teams under 24 points and either squad could have a break-out year. I have seen a number of people think Mercer could do it - I have not seen many other than Catamount hopefuls saying that about Western.

Always exciting to kick the season off. One of us is going to be in good shape after Saturday, and the other is going to be behind the proverbial 8-ball. I honestly don't know what to expect right now, as there will be a lot of talent on the field and mistakes, penalties, and effort will make the difference (like they always do).Run those stats back & use SoCon only stats & remove the WCU @ MU game (if you like) & you’ll have pure Mackinaws to Mackinaws for 7 games. Show me dat!

wcugrad95
August 27th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Why would I remove the WCU and Mercer game? If anything, I would use that to show neither defense was very good - but WCU gave up several big plays including some special teams snafus. We gained 710 yards of offense and LOST the game - think about that!!! Memphis only had a few more yards against the Bears.

The Mercer game was pretty indicative of who WCU was last season. My point was the “all time” bad WCU defense at least statistically wasn’t vastly different than Mercer. And of course last year has nothing to do with this year - was just looking at numbers and those season statistics surprised me a little.

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Why would I remove the WCU and Mercer game? If anything, I would use that to show neither defense was very good - but WCU gave up several big plays including some special teams snafus. We gained 710 yards of offense and LOST the game - think about that!!! Memphis only had a few more yards against the Bears.

The Mercer game was pretty indicative of who WCU was last season. My point was the “all time” bad WCU defense at least statistically wasn’t vastly different than Mercer. And of course last year has nothing to do with this year - was just looking at numbers and those season statistics surprised me a little.If you want to make a completely apples-to-apples comparison, as you were alluding that you did, you remove that game because WCU’s D didn’t play against WCU’s O, but Mercer’s D did. Congruently, Mercer’s D didn’t play against Mercer’s O, but WCU’s D did. 7 common opponents of 11 games is a significant sample size & ‘fair’ to both Teams. Savvy?

wcugrad95
August 27th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Well I did it leaving the WCU vs Mercer game in. WCU's media guide doesn't have the game stats in a nice chart, so I had to look at the individual game stats and for some reason the TFLs aren't in the guide (Mercer has them on their 2019 prospectus doc).

2018 SoCon play
Mercer
WCU

Points/game

Yards/game

Total INT

Total Fumbles recovered

Sacks

Tackles for Loss
???

it was easy enough to pull the WCU vs Mercer game out, and the numbers stayed pretty consistent (Mercer gave up roughly 14 points and about 40 total yards less, had more fumble recoveries, but had fewer INTs and sacks).

So very similar, with an even more glaring discrepancy in points allowed versus the other stats that are pretty similar. This again points to WCU's 2018 defense giving up lots of big plays, some special teams scores (or big plays that resulted in scores a few plays later), but the other stats aren't dramatically different from the entire season. WCU's numbers were skewed by a woodshed beating at Samford where the whole team kind of threw in the towel with Tyrie playing sparingly after the FU game, and the ETSU game was 3 OTs where a missed 20-something yard FG not only caused us to lose the game, but we also gave up 15 points AFTER that in the following 2 OT sessions. If both teams got to pick 2 stinkers to take out, Mercer would leave Memphis and WCU off as the best offenses they played, and WCU would leave off Samford and either Mercer or UNC (based on the yards and points allowed).

Turning to this year (since again those don't really matter), I know everybody is skeptical but I honestly believe the WCU defense will be better (how can they not be???). The question is will they just be marginally better and hold opponents to a few less yards and a few less points, or will they be noticeably better and hold teams to a lot fewer yards and significantly less points? A middle of the pack kind of D in 2018 ***could have*** resulted in a very similar to maybe even better record than Mercer (5-6/4-4) instead of us stumbling to a 3-8 record.

Catamount87
August 27th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Just my perspective, but he's got Mercer in largely the same spot Furman was during the last four or so years of his tenure in Greenville. .500ish team with some talent, players that keep their noses clean, and a team that plays a lot of close games and both wins and loses big games.

Agreed, he's clearly a coach that can put together a program that's clean, competitive and moderately successful. But taking that and making them a strong winning program, I'm not so sure.

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2019, 10:29 PM
https://twitter.com/mercerfootball/status/1166466314866704384

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Lot of talk about WCU's youth. I am pretty sure I heard BL say that 28 of the 72 guys Mercer will bring to Cullowhee are traveling for the first time to a college game. I know that doesn't directly equate to who sees the field or the two-deep, but that also seems like a lot of new guys. I think many of the SoCon schools are pretty youthful (or is that youth-fool)???

SU DOG
August 28th, 2019, 02:14 PM
Doesn't EVERY coach at every school claim "we are young this year?" Seems they do(including our HC), but most of the time, IMO, they have lots of players who have played significant time, just not starters. Also, there is often no distinction between Fr, and RSFr. I actually get tired of hearing this from HCs as just they seem to want to have an early excuse. Just my perspective, and I'm wrong a lots, so my short rant is over.

ElCid
August 28th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Doesn't EVERY coach at every school claim "we are young this year?" Seems they do(including our HC), but most of the time, IMO, they have lots of players who have played significant time, just not starters. Also, there is often no distinction between Fr, and RSFr. I actually get tired of hearing this from HCs as just they seem to want to have an early excuse. Just my perspective, and I'm wrong a lots, so my short rant is over.

Not every coach.xnodx

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-preview-i-backed-my-team-up-and-i-like/article_566554ee-c69a-11e9-b4d4-0756a5152eea.html

Coach Thompson--“To be honest, we knew we had a rebuild to go through after that 2016 season. There’s no easy way to rebuild from The Citadel except from the ground up, and I finally feel that’s where the roster is at right now. We’ve got enough older guys on the roster, and I love the leadership on this roster. I think we’re back to where we can at least compete like we did back in 2016.”

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2019, 10:43 PM
Not every coach.xnodx

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-preview-i-backed-my-team-up-and-i-like/article_566554ee-c69a-11e9-b4d4-0756a5152eea.html
CIT has only (comparatively, “only”) 12 FR on the 2-deep & only 1, a R-FR starting (OG).

On the other hand...of those 12...7 are True Freshman

2 OL - 1 C, 1 OG
1 QB (uh-oh...Option QB’s tend to get dinged a bit, don’t they?)

1 DL, a DT
2 LB’s
1 DB, a FS

If the ‘injury bug’ bites in Charleston this year like the sand gnats do, CIT could become a VERY young Team, double-time.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2019, 06:17 AM

I buy the argument when a new coaching staff has come on.

When you've been the head coach for 4 or 5 seasons, if the team is still young and inexperienced, hard not to look to your own staff and recruiting for that problem.

ElCid
August 29th, 2019, 06:56 AM
CIT has only (comparatively, “only”) 12 FR on the 2-deep & only 1, a R-FR starting (OG).

On the other hand...of those 12...7 are True Freshman

2 OL - 1 C, 1 OG
1 QB (uh-oh...Option QB’s tend to get dinged a bit, don’t they?)

1 DL, a DT
2 LB’s
1 DB, a FS

If the ‘injury bug’ bites in Charleston this year like the sand gnats do, CIT could become a VERY young Team, double-time.

You need to go back and recheck that QB.xconfusedx Also one of those R-FR is actually a three deep. Still, I like where we are depth'wise. Yes a little thin on the D side, but he ain't whining about it.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2019, 08:15 AM
When did everyone become so obsessed with freshmen on the depth chart?

Mocs123
August 29th, 2019, 08:31 AM
When we're all ready and anxiously awaiting kickoff and have nothing else to discuss.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2019, 08:35 AM
When we're all ready and anxiously awaiting kickoff and have nothing else to discuss.

I mean, Alabama is likely starting true freshmen at both ILB positions Saturday.

wcugrad95
August 29th, 2019, 09:47 AM
I attribute my posts directly to somebody jumping on the WCU 2-deep and pointing out the numbers. But I have also made several posts about the best guy needs to play regardless of what year he is. My guess is if you really look hard at the majority of depth charts, you are going to see lots of teams with a fair amount of FR and RS FR guys listed or who will be looked at to play this season. Honestly, if your recruiting is good then it is nice to see some younger players who come in and are able to contribute.

But I also agree with Mocs123 - everybody is itching for football, and without games under our belts or stats from this season we have to default back to last year's stats, recently released media guides, and this week's game notes/2-deep.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2019, 10:59 AM
You need to go back and recheck that QB.xconfusedx Also one of those R-FR is actually a three deep. Still, I like where we are depth'wise. Yes a little thin on the D side, but he ain't whining about it.

Just going by what I saw in the ChuckTown (com)Post & (truth)Barrier

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2019, 02:38 PM
DEPTH CHART (VS. WCU)

OFFENSE

LT 67 AUSTIN SANDERS 6-3 287 R-Jr.
73 John Thomas 6-3 291 Fr.

LG 76 JAKE FLATH 6-5 297 Sr.
72 Tyrese Cohen 6-2 333 R-Fr.

C 60 CONNER KRIEGER 6-1 287 R-Jr.
63 Aidan Higgins 5-11 256 Fr.

RG 55 ANDREW ROBINSON 6-3 319 Jr.
70 Brian Forrestal 6-3 291 R-Jr.

RT 56 COLLIN FOSTER 6-3 260 So.
68 Billy Parker 6-5 276 R-Fr.

QB 10 ROBERT RIDDLE 6-3 207 R-So.
1 Kaelan Riley 6-3 231 R-Jr.

TE 88 CHRIS ELLINGTON 6-4 247 R-Sr.
89 Chase Westfall 6-3 255 R-Sr.

WR 13 DAVID DURDEN 6-2 197 So.
83 Brandon Mays 5-11 176 R-Fr.

WR 82 CAMIEL GRANT 5-10 172 R-Sr.
19 Steven Peterson 6-2 185 R-Fr.

WR 80 TUCKER CANNON 6-0 192 R-Jr.
81 Landon Miller 5-9 168 R-Fr.

RB 34 TYRAY DEVEZIN 5-8 233 Jr.
27 Deondre Johnson 5-7 166 R-Fr.

DEFENSE

DE 57 JACK RAINES 6-3 263 R-Sr.
96 Destin Guillen 6-5 297 R-Sr.

DT 99 DJ McDANIEL 6-0 276 So.
94 Xavier Perkins 6-2 266 R-Fr.

DT 57 DORIAN KITHCART 6-0 288 R-Sr.
90 Behr Cooper 6-0 287 R-Jr.

OLB 50 LOGAN CRAIGHEAD 6-1 227 R-Jr.
48 Solomon Zubairu 6-1 240 Fr.

ILB 9 SIDNEY OTIWU 5-11 230 R-Jr.
33 Michael Freeman 6-1 230 Jr.

ILB 23 WILL CONEWAY 5-11 217 R-Sr.
24 Danijah Gammage 6-1 209 R-So.

OLB 5 MALIQUE FLEMING 5-11 208 R-Jr.
45 Andrew Pettit 6-2 194 R-Jr.

CB 11 BJ BOHLER 5-7 183 Jr.
26 Michael Campbell 5-11 169 So.

SS 7 ERIC JACKSON 5-8 172 R-Sr.
3 Lance Wise 5-8 179 Fr.

FS 6 JAMAR HALL 6-1 194 Jr.
31 Luke Ward 6-1 201 R-So.

CB 12 HARRISON POOLE 5-11 196 R-Jr.
20 Richie Coffey 5-10 167 Fr.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K 92 CALEB DOWDEN 6-1 184 So.
97 Grant Goupil 6-2 188 Sr.

KO 97 GRANT GOUPIL 6-2 188 Sr.
92 Caleb Dowden 6-1 184 So.

P 97 GRANT GOUPIL 5-11 209 Gr.
92 Caleb Dowden 6-1 184 So.

SN 62 ZACH LASSITER 5-11 221 R-Jr.
64 Mason Lawing 5-11 209 R-So.

LSN 62 ZACH LASSITER 5-11 221 R-Jr.
64 Mason Lawing 5-11 209 R-So.

H 18 HARRISON FROST 6-1 195 R-Fr.
97 Grant Goupil 6-1 184 So.

KOR 13 DAVID DURDEN 6-2 197 So.
27 Deondre Johnson 5-9 161 Sr.

PR 80 TUCKER CANNON 6-3 216 Sr.
13 DAVID DURDEN 6-2 197 So.

The Cats
August 29th, 2019, 03:07 PM
I didn't realize that Mercer had so many freshmen on their 2-deep roster, I count 13. No starters other than the holder on special teams.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2019, 03:13 PM
Looking at the running back position, it looks like Mercer's backup RB is 60+ pounds lighter than the starter. That's at least a little unique.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Just for comparison's sake, this is Mercer's depth chart their last game of 2018 against Furman: https://mercerbears.com/documents/2018/11/13//2018_11_18_Mercer_Football_Notebook.pdf?id=9285

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2019, 04:59 PM
I didn't realize that Mercer had so many freshmen on their 2-deep roster, I count 13. No starters other than the holder on special teams.

Mercer’s SID moved to a PAC10 job 2 weeks ago. MANY errors on here. I edited & corrected the 3 different sized / classed ‘David Durden’s’ on here.

That Holder is a R-SO. He was a R-FR last year when he QB’d the Bears to a victory over Chattanooga.

So...0 FR/R-FR starters for the Bears. Watch ‘em tho - I predict 5-7 True FR will play important roles for the Bears this year. Not sure how many R-FR will, but 6-10 would be my estimate.

wcugrad95
August 31st, 2019, 05:20 PM
WCU's special teams once again look anything but special - a big KO return to open the game setup Mercer's first TD, then a quick 3-and-out by WCU is followed up with a big punt return that give Mercer great field position and an easy score. WCU better have a good offense (didn't look good in their opening drive) or this thing will be over in the first quarter.

Smitty
August 31st, 2019, 06:15 PM
Bad everything and Western Carolina can you name a more iconic duo...

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2019, 10:27 AM
Mark Speir may be the greatest human on the planet & I know he & Coach Lamb are good friends...BUT...I watched his weekly show yesterday & he did not give one iota of credit to the Team or even to any single Player from Mercer for the Bears’ convincing win over WCU Saturday. The only thing close to crediting Mercer that he said was that Mercer’s Special Teams Coaches had their Players prepared. That’s it. He spent most of the time talking about his Players made mental mistakes on only 4 plays on Defense. He also mentioned mental mistakes & not doing a very good job Coaching on kick/punt coverage. Other than 4 plays & 2 returns, I guess he saw WCU winning in a romp.

OK - he can say what he wants, but I saw a lot of really good, well-coached Football Players Saturday night wearing White & Orange & FLYING all over the Football Field.

And...if you didn’t know & somebody asked you to pick out the Payton Award Candidate on the field Sat. night, you would have said, “Clearly, #13 for Mercer [David Durden] must be the one.”

Guess not...he’s just been the beneficiary of WCU mental mistakes the past 2 years - 367 yds & 3 TD’s (recv+rtn).

Hey, I wouldn’t expect him to ‘gush,’ but it’s kinda SOP or courtesy for a losing Coach to say SOMETHING good about the Players & Team that just WHIPPED him, isn’t it? Sorta helps to think your Team wasn’t just beaten by a bunch of no-count Players & Coaches, doesn’t it?

wcugrad95
September 3rd, 2019, 10:44 AM
I think it is a defensive mechanism at this point. Speir is trying to "talk his guys up" (and maybe his coaches/his own coaching ability "up") to make it seem like everything is correctable??? More of the same, using we are young, we just weren't ready, just need consistency, take away these "x" number of mistakes, etc. The Catamount faithful were already restless, but now they are blowing gaskets with how Western performed and in how the coaching staff is reacting (in the game and since). All of those things are correctable, and honestly I think WCU has players with a ton of potential, but these things almost universally seem to be attributable to our preparation (or lack of) and ability (or inability) to play assignments, make adjustments, etc.

Still pulling hard for Western, but it feels like I have seen this movie before (like last year).

The Cats
September 3rd, 2019, 01:20 PM
Some interesting stats from the WCU/Mercer game.

First downs
WCU 22 Mercer 14

rushing yards
WCU 127 Mercer 212

passing yards
WCU 318 Mercer 207

total offense
WCU 445 Mercer 419

3d down conversions
WCU 9/19 Mercer 5/12

time of possessions
WCU 38:58 Mercer 21:02

The Cats gave up at least 4 big plays for long runs or pass that resulted in touchdowns that made the difference in the outcome. Bottom line, the Cats still lost, regardless of what the stats show.

BearDownMU
September 3rd, 2019, 02:24 PM
It was a weird day offensively. It felt like it was either a home run or a 3 and out. That's why most of my praise went toward the defense. Numbers aside, they were on the field a LONG time. I was praying for some kind of sustained drives just to give them a breather. Not that I minded scoring fast, but the D played a ton of snaps.

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2019, 04:12 PM
Some interesting stats from the WCU/Mercer game.

First downs
WCU 22 Mercer 14

rushing yards
WCU 127 Mercer 212

passing yards
WCU 318 Mercer 207

total offense
WCU 445 Mercer 419

3d down conversions
WCU 9/19 Mercer 5/12

time of possessions
WCU 38:58 Mercer 21:02

The Cats gave up at least 4 big plays for long runs or pass that resulted in touchdowns that made the difference in the outcome. Bottom line, the Cats still lost, regardless of what the stats show.

I saw a few of those, I had to check the color settings on the TV....xcoffeex

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2019, 05:56 PM
I saw a few of those, I had to check the color settings on the TV....xcoffeexI intended not to weigh in on this, but it seems to be of interest to others...so FUBeAR will opine...

* The EFFORT of WCU’s D was markedly improved from 2018. They played hard at all levels of the D on every play for the opening kickoff until the final whistle. That, alone, if they can sustain it, would have won a game or 2 more for them last year, and may this year as well.
* That said, WCU was 100% committed to stopping the run. Nothing wrong with that, but when you are a bit young (which they still are) and a bit shy on Total Talent upfront, you have to put your DB’s into tough situations, i.e., a lot of blitzes and man coverage or more ‘spaced’ zone coverages. WCU did that early.
* Mercer has a very talented QB, several very talented WR/TE’s, and an experienced (adequate & improving) OL. Young DB’s put in tough situations against Mercer’s Offense are going to have problems. They did. Early.
* Mercer’s D, very much unlike last year, played lights out...until they didn’t have to...and then, they didn’t...which they need to clean up. All gas / no brakes!
* Also, if you look the Play-by-Play, not a single Defensive Starter for Mercer made a tackle in the 4th Quarter. The last 15 minutes was WCU’s 1’s on O vs. Mercer’s 2’s & 3’s on D. That accounted for 133 yards, 14 plays, 6 1st downs, & almost 9 minutes of possession.
* With the way Mercer’s Starting D was playing, the game was, essentially, over when Riddle hit Durden for 63 yards & Devezin bulled in for the last 1/2 yards to put Mercer up 35-14 with 1:25 to play in the 2nd quarter. It was definitely over after the pick-almost-6 that led to Riddle-to-Ellington for a 1 yd with 1:05 left in the half.

wcugrad95
September 4th, 2019, 08:09 AM
Western has won a lot of games on the stat sheet the last couple of years, but lost them on the scoreboard (which obviously is much more important). Heck - the last 3 Mercer games have gone that way. The stats might help explain a game was closer than the score shows, and like BearDownMU surmised Mercer was a little feast or famine on offense (lots of 3 and outs offset by some electrifying big plays). But in the end the big plays count - and WCU has to quit using the excuse about those 4 or 5 plays and find a way to stop them.

Mercer had 2 big kick returns and 4 huge offensive plays. Most teams don’t need more than that to win, and kudos to Mercer for pulling those off and for playing really solid D especially in the first half to build such a lead.