PDA

View Full Version : Betting odds to win the title

Schism55
August 19th, 2019, 02:53 PM
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-preseason-betting-odds-bzbz

thebootfitter
August 19th, 2019, 06:17 PM
How do you interpret those figures? +200, +250, etc?

Schism55
August 19th, 2019, 06:22 PM
A +200 number means you need to be $100 to win $200...and so on

Bisonator
August 20th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Can someone explain all the love for JMU this season? I mean I get they return a lot of players from last year but those players lost 4 games last year. They lost to Colgate in the second round! They also lost supposedly the best coaching staff in FCS, the entire staff! Why are most so high on their chances of winning this years championship?

And before some of you chime in with the NDSU comments this is not about NDSU. I didn't even rank NDSU #1 in the preseason poll. I just think there are a few other teams that deserve more respect then JMU seems to be getting.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Can someone explain all the love for JMU this season? I mean I get they return a lot of players from last year but those players lost 4 games last year. They lost to Colgate in the second round! They also lost supposedly the best coaching staff in FCS, the entire staff! Why are most so high on their chances of winning this years championship?

And before some of you chime in with the NDSU comments this is not about NDSU. I didn't even rank NDSU #1 in the preseason poll. I just think there are a few other teams that deserve more respect then JMU seems to be getting.

I think the pool is so small for legit title contenders that JMU is there by default. They have the resources and talent pool to be in the mix no matter the staff turnover. Besides, Cignetti is arguably just as good, if not better than Houston.

MR. CHICKEN
August 20th, 2019, 07:51 AM

.....12 RETURNIN'...ALL CAA PLAYERS & DB RASHAD ROBINSON RETURNS FROM INJURY.........NEW COACH CIGNETTI.....HAD ELON RISIN' FROM DUH ASHES.........AN' UP-ENDED JMU LAST YEAR........DOOKIES SECONDARY.....ONE UH BEST..........MOST LOSSES WERE CLOSE.......WENT TA SLEEP ON NEW HAMPSHIRE......AN'.....NO SHAME IN UH D-I LOSS.......IFIN' DINUCCI'S CANNON........STOPS DUH MIS-FIRES.............HARRISBURG.....WILL BE......HAPPY TOWN............AWK!

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 07:57 AM
.....12 RETURNIN'...ALL CAA PLAYERS & DB RASHAD ROBINSON RETURNS FROM INJURY.........NEW COACH CIGNETTI.....HAD ELON RISIN' FROM DUH ASHES.........AN' UP-ENDED JMU LAST YEAR........DOOKIES SECONDARY.....ONE UH BEST..........MOST LOSSES WERE CLOSE.......WENT TA SLEEP ON NEW HAMPSHIRE......AN'.....NO SHAME IN UH D-I LOSS.......IFIN' DINUCCI'S CANNON........STOPS DUH MIS-FIRES.............HARRISBURG.....WILL BE......HAPPY TOWN............AWK!

12 returning players from a team that got beat by Colgate.

Losing Houston isn't an asset.

Cignetti went 8-4 then 6-5. He's the CAA version of Will Healy. He didn't do anything overly spectacular at Elon but Elon was such a dumpster fire beforehand the fact he did something at all looked impressive.

Like I said before, JMU is the new JSU.

Bisonator
August 20th, 2019, 08:06 AM
I think the pool is so small for legit title contenders that JMU is there by default. They have the resources and talent pool to be in the mix no matter the staff turnover. Besides, Cignetti is arguably just as good, if not better than Houston.

Fact is outside of 2016 and 2017 they haven't been in the mix. Not sure how anyone can say Cignetti is just as good as Houston when he hasn't done anything close yet.

Like I said those players lost 4 games last year. Title contenders don't sleep on New Hampshire, they pound them. Cignetti hasn't done anything really if you look closely. Had Elon rising? They went 8-4 then 6-5 last year and the win over JMU proves my point even more.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 08:25 AM
Fact is outside of 2016 and 2017 they haven't been in the mix. Not sure how anyone can say Cignetti is just as good as Houston when he hasn't done anything close yet.

JMU spent a good portion of 2015 ranked #1 and was the favorite before Vad Lee got hurt against Richmond. So that's basically 4 straight years of being in the "mix".

I followed Cignetti's Cal(PA) D2 teams. Dude can coach....

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 08:28 AM
JMU spent a good portion of 2015 ranked #1 and was the favorite before Vad Lee got hurt against Richmond. So that's basically 4 straight years of being in the "mix".

No, they didn't.

clenz
August 20th, 2019, 08:29 AM

If "in the mix" is making it to the round of 16 in the playoffs - UNI has also been in the mix over that same time period

Starts to lose a bit of luster when you phrase it like that, does't it?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 08:35 AM
If "in the mix" is making it to the round of 16 in the playoffs - UNI has also been in the mix over that same time period

Starts to lose a bit of luster when you phrase it like that, does't it?

Not really. JMU has spent more weeks at #1 and in the Top 10 than UNI, played in Frisco twice and hosted Game Day while being ranked #1. JMU's resume recently is much better than UNI's.

- - - Updated - - -

No, they didn't.

They were ranked #1 when Game Day came calling. I remember them being the dominant team before Lee's injury.

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Not really. JMU has spent more weeks at #1 and in the Top 10 then UNI, played in Frisco twice and hosted Game Day while being ranked #1. JMU's resume recently is much better than UNI's.

- - - Updated - - -

They were ranked #1 when Game Day came calling. I remember them being the dominant team before Lee's injury.

Fun fact: Resumes don't win championships.

Bisonator
August 20th, 2019, 08:36 AM

LMFAO, no just stop already. They said Bobs Titts could coach too.....actually he's done way more than Cignetti.xcoffeex

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 08:37 AM

No, they weren't.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 08:38 AM

They won the title in 2016! They lost in 2017 in a thriller. They actually have 2 titles on their resume during the last 15 years. More than anyone not named NDSU currently in the subdivision...

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 08:40 AM
No, they weren't.

You're right #4. I was actually at their Game Day that Friday. Honestly thought they were #1. My mistake.

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 08:40 AM
You're right #4. I was actually at their Game Day that Friday. Honestly thought they were #1. My mistake.

Nah, that was yours truly.

POD Knows
August 20th, 2019, 08:41 AM
2 to 1 on JMU, I am all in, #BOOKIT

JSUSoutherner
I'd bet my Avatar JMU doesn't make it past the second round.

clenz
Not really. JMU has spent more weeks at #1 and in the Top 10 than UNI, played in Frisco twice and hosted Game Day while being ranked #1. JMU's resume recently is much better than UNI's.

Much of the time spent with that ranking is based on perception, and not reality, especially outside of 16 and 17 - which is what the discussion is about

09 no playoffs
10 no playoffs
11 bounced in round 2
12 no playoffs
13 no playoffs
14 bounced in round 1
15 bounced in round 1
18 bounced in round 2

Over that same time period UNI has the same number of seasons with 8 or more wins - and has more seasons of double digit or more wins - and the last decade is largely considered the worst decade in UNI football history since before the dome was built - which is over the hill at this point

I'd say the argument that outside of 16 and 17 they haven't been "in the hunt" is absolutely correct

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Much of the time spent with that ranking is based on perception, and not reality, especially outside of 16 and 17 - which is what the discussion is about

09 no playoffs
10 no playoffs
11 bounced in round 2
12 no playoffs
13 no playoffs
14 bounced in round 1
15 bounced in round 1
18 bounced in round 2

Over that same time period UNI has the same number of seasons with 8 or more wins - and has more seasons of double digit or more wins - and the last decade is largely considered the worst decade in UNI football history since before the dome was built - which is over the hill at this point

I'd say the argument that outside of 16 and 17 they haven't been "in the hunt" is absolutely correct

That's all well and good but if I had money to bet I'd certainly put in on JMU over UNI to win the title. I personally think they're a stronger program than UNI. If nothing else they've proven to have a higher ceiling (title level).

clenz
August 20th, 2019, 08:53 AM
That's all well and good but if I had money to bet I'd certainly put in on JMU over UNI to win the title. I personally think they're a stronger program than UNI. If nothing else they've proven to have a higher ceiling (title level).
Which doesn't equal "in the hunt"

If what JMU has done outside of 16 and 17 counts as in the hunt yearly then UNI is in the hunt yearly.

MR. CHICKEN
August 20th, 2019, 08:57 AM

.....FUN FACT........WHERE'S YER BLING....xconfusedxxrolleyesx...AWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Which doesn't equal "in the hunt"

If what JMU has done outside of 16 and 17 counts as in the hunt yearly then UNI is in the hunt yearly.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I simply think JMU has proven to have a higher ceiling than UNI in recent years thus the betting odds are justified.

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 09:00 AM
.....FUN FACT........WHERE'S YER BLING....xconfusedxxrolleyesx...AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
August 20th, 2019, 09:02 AM

.......HANGIN' YER GOURD GUARD.........ON.......UH CENTURY AGO...........AWK!

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 09:06 AM
.......HANGIN' YER GOURD GUARD.........ON.......UH CENTURY AGO...........AWK!

Same could be said for you. I was in 2nd grade last time Deleware won anything.

clenz
August 20th, 2019, 09:07 AM
I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I simply think JMU has proven to have a higher ceiling than UNI in recent years thus the betting odds are justified.
Not the discussion being had - at all

Quit moving the goalposts.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Not the discussion being had - at all

Quit moving the goalposts.

It's the discussion I'm having. It's about who has the better betting odds to win the title. I think JMU being near the top is warranted based on recent trends. Heck, they're literally the only program other than NDSU to win the title since 2010. To me it makes sense. To others it doesn't. Not a big deal...

IBleedYellow
August 20th, 2019, 09:20 AM
A +200 number means you need to be $100 to win $200...and so on

and -200 means you need to bet $200 to win $100.

MR. CHICKEN
August 20th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Same could be said for you. I was in 2nd grade last time Deleware won anything.

..........SO YER....LIKE.....22-23....O' SO.......xconfusedx......AWK!

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 09:23 AM
..........SO YER....LIKE.....22-23....O' SO.......xconfusedx......AWK!

I'll be 24 next Saturday.

Bisonator
August 20th, 2019, 09:27 AM
It's the discussion I'm having. It's about who has the better betting odds to win the title. I think JMU being near the top is warranted based on recent trends. Heck, they're literally the only program other than NDSU to win the title since 2010. To me it makes sense. To others it doesn't. Not a big deal...
And together with EWU and NDSU they've won the last 9 titles........xcoffeex

I think EWU, SDSU and UCD should have better odds then JMU. We'll see how it plays out.

Mocs123
August 20th, 2019, 09:50 AM
I'm not sure I would ever count JMU out after I learned the're athletic budget is twice what other top FCS's schools is, and almost three times many other FCS schools.

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure I would ever count JMU out after I learned the're athletic budget is twice what other top FCS's schools is, and almost three times many other FCS schools.

Yeah, I'm sure their students are thrilled.

ming01
August 20th, 2019, 10:02 AM
No problem with JMU being the favorite. I read 19 starters back? Defensive preseason player of the year from last year was out the whole season.

As for NDSU, we are very young with some unproven depth and have never won an FCS title starting a freshman QB. Chances are good we go to the Semis and Frisco, but dont think we win it this year.

POD Knows
August 20th, 2019, 10:10 AM
No problem with JMU being the favorite. I read 19 starters back? Defensive preseason player of the year from last year was out the whole season.

As for NDSU, we are very young with some unproven depth and have never won an FCS title starting a freshman QB. Chances are good we go to the Semis and Frisco, but dont think we win it this year.We won't lose in Frisco if we get that far.

Sycamore62
August 20th, 2019, 10:27 AM
This website is willing to put money on it. Has anyone done that here yet?

IBleedYellow
August 20th, 2019, 10:27 AM
What if I told you that Trey Lance will most likely be a better college QB vs Wentz or Stick?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
August 20th, 2019, 10:30 AM
What if I told you that Trey Lance will most likely be a better college QB vs Wentz or Stick?

Helluva claim to make before he’s even started a game. It’s not impossible, but that’s a bold claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herder
August 20th, 2019, 10:36 AM
IN FBS football, Alabama's long term dominance has elevated the status of the SEC (especially the SEC West) to point that the other schools in the SEC are elevated, and there overall conference is elevated beyond what it would seem to deserve at times. Two SEC teams have routinely made the field of 4.

The opposite has happened to the MVFC under NDsu's success. The MVFC shows to be complete dominant and alone when you look at Sagarin rankings. But the folks that rank FCS football seem to reduce the status of the MVFC and the other MVFC members because of NDSUs past dominance. IL State, SDSU, UNI, Youngstown seem to be downgraded in the rankings when compared to teams from other conferences that they would seem to be better than. Pollsters support these rankings due to playoff success . . . but MVFC teams are typically forced into the same brackets and knock each other off, vs getting the opportunity to stay away from each during the playoffs. (Yes, the CAA's 6 members last year also were placed against each other last year)

I can't count the number of times that SDSU has been down graded and stuck in NDSU's bracket. Case in point in getting the 5 seed below Kennesaw in 2018, and being stuck on the same side as NDSU vs having the opportunity to get to the championship in the other bracket and avoid a road game at NDSU. With NDSU at the 1 seed, I would have bet $10,000 that the selection committee would place SDSU at a 5 or 8 seed last year, when they deserved a 3, and at worst a 4 seed. Year after year, MVFC teams not named NDSU are downgraded in polls and seeding.

IBleedYellow
August 20th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Helluva claim to make before he’s even started a game. It’s not impossible, but that’s a bold claim.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI said "most likely."

Laker
August 20th, 2019, 10:40 AM

https://i.imgur.com/5noHKsb.jpg

F'N Hawks
August 20th, 2019, 10:41 AM
On the other hand, the year they put SDSU opposite NDSU and thus gave The Valley fans what they wanted - the Jack's went to JMU and lost by 70.

Schism55
August 20th, 2019, 11:07 AM
https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1163833453906931714

Bisonator
August 20th, 2019, 11:07 AM
On the other hand, the year they put SDSU opposite NDSU and thus gave The Valley fans what they wanted - the Jack's went to JMU and lost by 70.
You as well as anyone should know how easy it is for a team to **** the bed once in awhile.

POD Knows
August 20th, 2019, 11:11 AM
On the other hand, the year they put SDSU opposite NDSU and thus gave The Valley fans what they wanted - the Jack's went to JMU and lost by 70.Hey, it was only 35, it just seemed like 70, below is a link to the game, I have watched this a few times, priceless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz9QhcQw-Ac

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 11:11 AM
I still haven't heard a real reason as to why everyone is so yuge on James Madison other than speculation.

POD Knows
August 20th, 2019, 11:17 AM
You as well as anyone should know how easy it is for a team to **** the bed once in awhile.Like the two TD loss to a dog**** NAU team in the last game of the year that might have cost them a playoff spot, NAU, nothing to play for and wins by 15. **** happens.

MR. CHICKEN
August 20th, 2019, 11:53 AM
I still haven't heard a real reason as to why everyone is so yuge on James Madison other than speculation.

..........YOU WERE GIVEN REAL REASONS...EARLY IN THREAD......IFIN' DEY DON'T SATISFY YA...............AH'D HALFTA SAY..........JES' BECAUSE......xrolleyesx.....BRAWK!

....IT'S JES' SPECULATION.....DAT BIZONSSSSS ARE NUMBER ONE........IN AGS POLL......EVERTHIN' IS SPECULATION.......TIL IT REALLY HAPPENS.....xwhistlex.....AWK!

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 11:57 AM
..........YOU WERE GIVEN REAL REASONS...EARLY IN THREAD......IFIN' DEY DON'T SATISFY YA...............AH'D HALFTA SAY..........JES' BECAUSE......xrolleyesx.....BRAWK!

....IT'S JES' SPECULATION.....DAT BIZONSSSSS ARE NUMBER ONE........IN AGS POLL......EVERTHIN' IS SPECULATION.......TIL IT REALLY HAPPENS.....xwhistlex.....AWK!

Those were all you guys have? Jeez.

MR. CHICKEN
August 20th, 2019, 12:00 PM

.....YER FRETTIN' OVERAH JMU......LIKE UH FOURTH GRADE GIRL......WOOD DUH......JONAS BROTHERS...........DOODLE-DOO!

CappinHard
August 20th, 2019, 12:04 PM

Most likely, eh?

uni88
August 20th, 2019, 12:20 PM
We won't lose in Frisco if we get that far. Book it!

Yep. ;)

Prime Power
August 20th, 2019, 12:25 PM

I would say they have 7/8ths of their starters coming back. A team that went to the playoffs. They will improve, especially since they have so many returning. Just like EWU who went 7-4 in 2017 made huge improvements and made it to Frisco last year because of returning talent and getting better. A **** ton of people that are a lot more knowledgeable about football than you understand this, hence their ranking/odds.

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 12:29 PM
I would say they have 7/8ths of their starters coming back. A team that went to the playoffs. They will improve, especially since they have so many returning. Just like EWU who went 7-4 in 2017 made huge improvements and made it to Frisco last year because of returning talent and getting better. A **** ton of people that are a lot more knowledgeable about football than you understand this, hence their ranking/odds.

If they had Houston coming back, I'd be inclined to agree. But they don't.

Thumper 76
August 20th, 2019, 01:10 PM

Yep. ‘Twas one fugly game. On the flip side if JMU was light years better than SDSU that shouldn’t have been a close game even at half and they should have won by 70 when they got 10 turnovers.

Also, once any team gets past the quarters I don’t think it’s even slightly the committees job to worry about having a conference rematch even a little bit. They’re two damn good programs that are regularly going deeper into the playoffs, it’s going to happen a lot more until they start getting knocked out earlier in the playoffs.

Thumper 76
August 20th, 2019, 01:11 PM
I said "most likely."

Even most likely is a hell of a claim when he’s only done practice, but as a SDSU fan I’m more guarded in my projections of players.

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 20th, 2019, 01:30 PM
So where do I send my hundred dollar bill to win 15 of those hundred dollar bills:D Is this a betting line in Vegas????
I realize so many things have to go your way to win a NC that sometimes it doesn't even seem fathomable.
On the positive side, I don't think there has been this much optimism starting a year as there is this year for a Maine team:)

maine612
August 20th, 2019, 03:47 PM
So where do I send my hundred dollar bill to win 15 of those hundred dollar bills:D Is this a betting line in Vegas????
I realize so many things have to go your way to win a NC that sometimes it doesn't even seem fathomable.
On the positive side, I don't think there has been this much optimism starting a year as there is this year for a Maine team:)

It is pretty cool to be included on the list. Most exciting preseason with the most anticipation that I can remember. Very fired up for the season. I am hopeful for a trip to NDSU in the playoffs....besides a trip to Frisco, its the only thing that could top last year. Would be happy to be put on the NDSU side of the bracket....at least on paper this year would be the one to do it.

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 04:00 PM
Would be happy to be put on the NDSU side of the bracket....at least on paper this year would be the one to do it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190820/ddcc3903c954cea90b6573f3ec2bf43d.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

gofurman
August 20th, 2019, 04:13 PM
How do you interpret those figures? +200, +250, etc?

as in you bet 100... and if it's plus 200.. IF your team wins you get your 100 back and the 200 also for 300 total. So if you bet on ten teams at $100 that paid over +1000 and ANY of those ten teams won you would profit. IE, if you put $1000 down, 100 on every team from Jacksonville State to KSU - you would win money if any of them won as JSU pays +1200. IF JSU won you would lose $900 on the 9 teams that didn't win and win 1200 on JSU (plus get 100 back on JSU) - profit of 300

maine612
August 20th, 2019, 04:29 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190820/ddcc3903c954cea90b6573f3ec2bf43d.jpg

Nah. Being able to drive somewhere to see Maine in a big time playoff game is a no-lose situation. Plus, my wife went to NDSU so a game between our two schools would be tremendous.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 20th, 2019, 04:54 PM
With the amount of starters coming back, JMU is definitely a title contender.

IMO the top 4 contenders right now are:

JMU
NDSU
SDSU
EWU

POD Knows
August 20th, 2019, 07:21 PM

JMU
NDSU
SDSU
EWU
I got UC Davis in front of SDSU, I didn't want to appear as a MVFC homer plus I freaking hate SDSU and their tired fans and their ****ty half full stadium and their ****ty Brookings bars and eateries and their crappy tailgating and pissers, and their crappy hotels and road construction and all that.

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 07:27 PM

JMU
NDSU
SDSU
EWU

JMU isn't even in my top 5

TheKingpin28
August 20th, 2019, 07:31 PM

JMU
NDSU
SDSU
EWU

JMU did not crack my Top 4.

Derby City Duke
August 20th, 2019, 09:04 PM
I got UC Davis in front of SDSU, I didn't want to appear as a MVFC homer plus I freaking hate SDSU and their tired fans and their ****ty half full stadium and their ****ty Brookings bars and eateries and their crappy tailgating and pissers, and their crappy hotels and road construction and all that.

But other than that, Brookings is a nice place, then?

Redbird 4th & short
August 20th, 2019, 09:12 PM
let's see if JMU is still a dominant programs post-Houston, and then how long it lasts .. clenz documented their lackluster playoffs outside of 2016-17. I've documented how much better the MVFC "Wings" have done compared to Colonial .. meaning, our teams have better playoff records than Colonial teams.

Planets aligned for JMU under Houston ... he had them playing at a very high level, but they haven't dominated since ... or yet. They have a lot back this year, and should be good .. time will tell if this years team is very good, and whether they can maintain this level of play. But 2 years does not make a resume, espcially since that coach is gone.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 09:19 PM
let's see if JMU is still a dominant programs post-Houston, and then how long it lasts .. clenz documented their lackluster playoffs outside of 2016-17. I've documented how much better the MVFC "Wings" have done compared to Colonial .. meaning, our teams have better playoff records than Colonial teams.

Planets aligned for JMU under Houston ... he had them playing at a very high level, but they haven't dominated since ... or yet. They have a lot back this year, and should be good .. time will tell if this years team is very good, and whether they can maintain this level of play. But 2 years does not make a resume, espcially since that coach is gone.

But based on resumes who else but NDSU is worthy of having money placed on them? IMO, JMU is one that I could see simply because they're the only team other than NDSU to win the title the last 8 years. As a result, recent history literally says if not NDSU than JMU. Plus, I do like Cignetti. I consider EWU an elite program too but they've had a couple ups and downs in recent years. Even so, I would have them on the very short list of legit contenders.

NDSU has created such separation from the rest of FCS that everything has gotten skewed imo. It's just impossible for other programs to measure up.

Redbird 4th & short
August 20th, 2019, 09:29 PM
But based on resumes who else but NDSU is worthy of having money placed on them? IMO, JMU is one that I could see simply because they're the only team other than NDSU to win the title the last 8 years. As a result, recent history literally says if not NDSU than JMU. Plus, I do like Cignetti. I consider EWU an elite program too but they've had a couple ups and downs in recent years. Even so, I would have them on the very short list of legit contenders.

NDSU has created such separation from the rest of FCS that everything has gotten skewed imo. It's just impossible for other programs to measure up.

Again the obligatory, let's remove NDSU from equation, and assume noone else from MVFC would ever have emerged.

Well based on 2011-18 history .. if not for NDSU, you can take you pick from these teams who might have been able to win or compete for a Natty ... SDSU, ISUr, UNI, or YSU ... SDSU alone has lost 4 times in playoffs to NDSU, while ISUr and UNI each lost once to NDSU. I can say with confidence we would have won Natty in 2014 if not for NDSU. I am pretty sure SDSU would have made more final 4s and possibly been in a Natty or 2 if not for NDSU. Our playoff record excl NDSU is better than all other conferences with their best team. That should speak volumes.

JMU had a real impressive 2 year run, that's it .. and that coach is gone, so jury is currently out. But I do have them in my top 4 as of today.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Again the obligatory, let's remove NDSU from equation, and assume noone else from MVFC would ever have energed.

Well based on 2011-18 history .. if not for NDSU, you can take you pick from these teams who might have been able to win or compete for a Natty ... SDSU, ISUr, UNI, or YSU ... SDSU alone has lost 4 times in playoffs to NDSU, while ISUr and UNI each lost once to NDSU. I can say with confidence we would have won Natty in 2014 if not for NDSU. I am pretty sure SDSU would have made more final 4s and possibly been in a Natty or 2 if not for NDSU.

JMU had a real impressive 2 year run, that's it .. and that coach is gone, so jury is currently out. But I do have them in my top 4 as of today.

But who else can even match JMU's two year run of back-2-back trips to Frisco and 1 title? (Although I consider JMU's return of national relevance, i.e.consistently ranked in Top 10/15, really from 2015 on). From a betting/law of averages perspective I just don't see how JMU can't be one of the favorites. Especially when lines are often set to increase betting. Having NDSU, JMU, EWU aka "the usual suspects" at the top likely entices more money being wagered.

All teams you listed failed to win the title. Something JMU did. It's who can win the title. That's the bet.

clenz
August 21st, 2019, 06:30 AM
But who else can even match JMU's two year run of back-2-back trips to Frisco and 1 title? (Although I consider JMU's return of national relevance, i.e.consistently ranked in Top 10/15, really from 2015 on). From a betting/law of averages perspective I just don't see how JMU can't be one of the favorites. Especially when lines are often set to increase betting. Having NDSU, JMU, EWU aka "the usual suspects" at the top likely entices more money being wagered.

All teams you listed failed to win the title. Something JMU did. It's who can win the title. That's the bet.

.I mean Illinois State 14 15 went 23-5 and we're less than a minute from beating NDSU in Frisco

And since you want to blame Vad Lee's injury I'll counter with Tre Roberson injury otherwise there is no reason to think ISU isn't in the title game in 15 again

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2019, 07:12 AM
I mean Illinois State 14 15 went 23-5 and we're less than a minute from beating NDSU in Frisco

And since you want to blame Vad Lee's injury I'll counter with Tre Roberson injury otherwise there is no reason to think ISU isn't in the title game in 15 again

JMU was in cusp of a back-2-back titles. It's all relative.

I certainly don't think JMU's downfall in 2015 was completely due to Lee's injury. Withers indifference to defense didn't help as the season went on....

clenz
August 21st, 2019, 08:03 AM

I certainly don't think JMU's downfall in 2015 was completely due to Lee's injury. Withers indifference to defense didn't help as the season went on....
Interesting

Seems to me you have only previously talked about Vad getting injured being the downfall....

ST_Lawson
August 21st, 2019, 08:12 AM
But other than that, Brookings is a nice place, then?

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln...how did you like the play?

POD Knows
August 21st, 2019, 08:21 AM
But other than that, Brookings is a nice place, then?:D Actually, Brookings is a decent town, I just needed to get my preseason anti all things Jack rant out of the way. It felt good.

Derby City Duke
August 21st, 2019, 09:32 AM
This is the top 5 from my pre-season poll:

1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Eastern Washington Eagles
3: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
4: James Madison Dukes
5: UC Davis Aggies

I believe the Dukes are fully capable of making it back to Frisco, but there is one unknown that worries me: will Coach Cignetti get the same level of buy-in that Coach Houston and his staff got in 2016? Houston took over a team with a very divided locker room because the defense sucked and the offense was tired of having to be perfect every week. He and the staff pulled off a pretty amazing feat to get everybody on the same sheet. Even then it took until the 2nd half of game 8 (Richmond) until the light bulb went fully on with the defense.

The talent is there to get back to Frisco (not a given by any means) -- the QB play must be better in order for them to have a chance -- we'll see how well the players have adapted to the new staff.

I still think they start off the year 0-1 after the trip to Morgantown.

Thumper 76
August 21st, 2019, 10:10 AM
:D Actually, Brookings is a decent town, I just needed to get my preseason anti all things Jack rant out of the way. It felt good.

You feeling ok? Things good at home? This post concerns me.

JSUSoutherner
August 21st, 2019, 10:12 AM

His public anti-jacking calms him down. Let the man do what he wants.

POD Knows
August 21st, 2019, 10:18 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSaul Goodman, felt a lot better after my tirade on Brookings. xnodx

Thumper 76
August 21st, 2019, 12:35 PM
Saul Goodman, felt a lot better after my tirade on Brookings. xnodx

You get me worried when you say something nice about Brookings

POD Knows
August 21st, 2019, 12:38 PM
You get me worried when you say something nice about Brookings

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAny place that has Nick Burgers can't be all bad.

http://www.nickshamburgers.com/

Thumper 76
August 21st, 2019, 02:41 PM
Any place that has Nick Burgers can't be all bad.

http://www.nickshamburgers.com/

This is very true. Anyone who doesn’t enjoy Nicks can’t be trusted.

POD Knows
August 21st, 2019, 04:05 PM
This is very true. Anyone who doesn’t enjoy Nicks can’t be trusted.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThey should be shot on sight.

ST_Lawson
August 21st, 2019, 08:51 PM
They should be shot on sight.

How good we talking here? I'm going to be heading across SD on I-90 next summer. Is it worth the hour or so out of my way for it?

Redbird 4th & short
August 21st, 2019, 09:44 PM

everyone has acknowledged JMU's dominance for 2 years. many of us like JMU in top 4 this year. But outside of those 2 very good years, they, several other teams possibly from MVFC could have easily emerged if not for NDSU winning 7 of 8 title. JMU was not knocking on the the Natty door in any other year .. ISUr did, YSU did, SDSU likely would have if not for NDSU, and maybe UNI in 2015 ... they were the only team to compete with NDSU n those playoffs .. NDSU beat Montant by 31, then UNI by 10, then Richmond by 26, then JSU by 27 .. in that sense, UNI was the 2nd most worthy playoff team in 2015.

And here's a interesting daisy chain on other side of 2015 playoff bracket (the one not with all 5 MVFC teams) ... NDSU beat JSU by 27 in Natty, same JSU who beat SHSU by 52 in semi's, same SHSU who beat Colgate by 27 in quarters, same Colgate who beat JMU by 6 on road, and prior to that beat UNH on road by 7. Try adding the implied margin on that daisy chain. Again, that was the year the FCS selection committee made unprecedented decision to put all 5 MVFC teams on same side of bracket ... never happened to any other conference who got 4 or 5 or 6 teams .. ever .. thereby ensuring there would not be another all MVFC final like 2014 ... and they later publicly acknowldedged it should not have happened.

Laker
August 21st, 2019, 09:45 PM
How good we talking here? I'm going to be heading across SD on I-90 next summer. Is it worth the hour or so out of my way for it?

I went to Nick's before a Jacks basketball game last winter. It was like a step back into the past. Families and SDSU students were there. Pretty low key. You will get an actual hamburger, not a McDonalds job, so expect to pay the difference. Glad that I stopped there.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2019, 11:10 PM
everyone has acknowledged JMU's dominance for 2 years. many of us like JMU in top 4 this year. But outside of those 2 very good years, they, several other teams possibly from MVFC could have easily emerged if not for NDSU winning 7 of 8 title. JMU was not knocking on the the Natty door in any other year .. ISUr did, YSU did, SDSU likely would have if not for NDSU, and maybe UNI in 2015 ... they were the only team to compete with NDSU n those playoffs .. NDSU beat Montant by 31, then UNI by 10, then Richmond by 26, then JSU by 27 .. in that sense, UNI was the 2nd most worthy playoff team in 2015.

And here's a interesting daisy chain on other side of 2015 playoff bracket (the one not with all 5 MVFC teams) ... NDSU beat JSU by 27 in Natty, same JSU who beat SHSU by 52 in semi's, same SHSU who beat Colgate by 27 in quarters, same Colgate who beat JMU by 6 on road, and prior to that beat UNH on road by 7. Try adding the implied margin on that daisy chain. Again, that was the year the FCS selection committee made unprecedented decision to put all 5 MVFC teams on same side of bracket ... never happened to any other conference who got 4 or 5 or 6 teams .. ever .. thereby ensuring there would not be another all MVFC final like 2014 ... and they later publicly acknowldedged it should not have happened.

I think you're missing the point that these are betting odds set by odds makers. These are not the rankings of who is most likely to win the title as deemed by FCS experts. The odds are designed to not only reflect who is most likely to win the title but to entice betters to bet and make money for the house. For that reason there's definitely a psychological aspect to these and all sports odds.

- NDSU, JMU and EWU are the three most recent finalists and champs. That's kind of an amazing stat. That carries weight when setting the odds. Hence why it's easy to make them the top 3 most likely.
- NDSU and JMU have been the two most visible FCS programs to the general college football public the last 3-4 years. That makes them more likely to have money placed on them by the average joe sports gambler.
- By having NDSU #1 people are more likely to tune out/not bet given their perception that NDSU will in fact win yet again. By having JMU atop the odds those who set them help create doubt but using what is likely to be perceived as NDSU's biggest threat by those who don't follow FCS at OUR level.
- Since JMU has a good amount of FCS name recognition those that do bet would be more likely to gravitate towards them if the odds are lower. The books know that and can't afford to lose their butts should JMU actually win again.

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2019, 08:28 AM
How good we talking here? I'm going to be heading across SD on I-90 next summer. Is it worth the hour or so out of my way for it?It is kind of a cool old joint, throwback kind of deal. I eat there quite a bit as I stay in that town on business pretty often. Is it worth two extra hours to go there, yea, I think so. It is just this small town joint that has been around forever, they basically deep fry their hamburger patties in some type of oil. They are small burgers so you need to order about 4 or 5 to get it down and they don't use plates, they just throw them out to you on a piece of wax paper. And make sure you get relish with them, their relish is really good for some reason.

Thumper or Cappin can probably speak to the place better than I can, I have eaten there about 10 times and really like it.

CappinHard
August 22nd, 2019, 09:49 AM
It is kind of a cool old joint, throwback kind of deal. I eat there quite a bit as I stay in that town on business pretty often. Is it worth two extra hours to go there, yea, I think so. It is just this small town joint that has been around forever, they basically deep fry their hamburger patties in some type of oil. They are small burgers so you need to order about 4 or 5 to get it down and they don't use plates, they just throw them out to you on a piece of wax paper. And make sure you get relish with them, their relish is really good for some reason.

Thumper or Cappin can probably speak to the place better than I can, I have eaten there about 10 times and really like it.

Worth the jaunt from I90? I don't think so... wait until you're going by on I29 or in Brookings for some reason. They're good burgers, but... I'll probably get mobbed by Nick's lovers for this... I would rather go to Five Guys.

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 09:59 AM
Worth the jaunt from I90? I don't think so... wait until you're going by on I29 or in Brookings for some reason. They're good burgers, but... I'll probably get mobbed by Nick's lovers for this... I would rather go to Five Guys.

Five Guys is bad.

But I'm also Burger spoiled because of Kirby G's

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2019, 10:17 AM
Worth the jaunt from I90? I don't think so... wait until you're going by on I29 or in Brookings for some reason. They're good burgers, but... I'll probably get mobbed by Nick's lovers for this... I would rather go to Five Guys.Why, because 5 Guys has french fries? Are the burgers at Nick's "fall out of your chair" good, no, but those freaking chain burger joints are all the same. I would agree that it is probably a stretch to go two hours out of your way for them but maybe the could get a tour of the football stadium and IPF so they could see what a college football teams facilities should look like. xnodx

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2019, 10:18 AM
Five Guys is bad.

But I'm also Burger spoiled because of Kirby G'sI don't like 5 guy either, their oil for their french fries is not hot enough, their fries are always under cooked.

ST_Lawson
August 22nd, 2019, 01:30 PM
Why, because 5 Guys has french fries? Are the burgers at Nick's "fall out of your chair" good, no, but those freaking chain burger joints are all the same. I would agree that it is probably a stretch to go two hours out of your way for them but maybe the could get a tour of the football stadium and IPF so they could see what a college football teams facilities should look like. xnodx

I'll be coming back from a long vacation with my family. We'll probably just skip it then and I'll try to make the journey up sometime when we're playing football up around there.

uni88
August 22nd, 2019, 02:19 PM
Five Guys is bad.

But I'm also Burger spoiled because of Kirby G's

Five Guys burgers are like Jimmy Buffet's mustache ... pencil thin.

IBleedYellow
August 22nd, 2019, 02:48 PM
Food.

AGS threads always end up talking about food.

So - now should we start talking about who has the best BBQ?

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2019, 02:51 PM
Food.

AGS threads always end up talking about food.

So - now should we start talking about who has the best BBQ?

Texas. Specifically central Texas.

The other inferior types can piss off

clenz
August 22nd, 2019, 02:53 PM
Speaking of Texas

It's hot in Texas - and the south - put all your money on a Texas, Louisiana, Alabama or Georgia team to win the title.

xcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeex:D

IBleedYellow
August 22nd, 2019, 02:55 PM
Texas. Specifically central Texas.

The other inferior types can piss off

https://tenor.com/view/chosen-wisely-you-have-chosen-gif-12567658https://tenor.com/view/chosen-wisely-you-have-chosen-gif-12567658

https://media1.tenor.com/images/bc4cfa89baa89bfe95d5ca872854a890/tenor.gif

IBleedYellow
August 22nd, 2019, 02:56 PM
Speaking of Texas

It's hot in Texas - and the south - put all your money on a Texas, Louisiana, Alabama or Georgia team to win the title.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/6f85aabf1066ee7d5fe6d38bf1eab66d/tenor.gif

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 02:59 PM
Speaking of Texas

xcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeex:D https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190822/8814dd90135c6d473717b8e928243f42.gif

ST_Lawson
August 22nd, 2019, 03:35 PM
Speaking of Texas

#southernspeed

Thumper 76
August 22nd, 2019, 03:43 PM

Wow. I don’t even know you anymore.

To be fair they prolly aren’t 2 hrs of driving good, but they’re better than Five Guys, and I like Five Guys.

ST_Lawson
August 22nd, 2019, 04:02 PM

To be fair they prolly aren’t 2 hrs of driving good, but they’re better than Five Guys, and I like Five Guys.

I need to try 5 Guys sometime too (that'd be 2 hours of driving each way for me...but from Macomb).

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2019, 04:05 PM

To be fair they prolly aren’t 2 hrs of driving good, but they’re better than Five Guys, and I like Five Guys.You can get pie now at Nick's, I wonder how that is

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2019, 04:07 PM
I need to try 5 Guys sometime too (that'd be 2 hours of driving each way for me...but from Macomb).Well, if you like thin sawdust burgers and undercooked fresh cut fries, that is your place. Actually, it isn't that bad, it will push a turd.

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 04:19 PM
Well, if you like thin sawdust burgers and undercooked fresh cut fries, that is your place. Actually, it isn't that bad, it will push a turd.

It's overpriced as hell.

I'd take Cookout over Five Guys and it's not even close.

Redbird 4th & short
August 22nd, 2019, 04:22 PM
Well, if you like thin sawdust burgers and undercooked fresh cut fries, that is your place. Actually, it isn't that bad, it will push a turd.

Your post gets one "this" and one "so NOT this".

- THIS .... fresh cut fries being undercooked ... guilty as charged, and you may add a charge of soggy and way over-rated. Why go to all that trouble to show off how fresh cut they are and when it comes to cooking them .... it's like they don't even try.

- SO NOT THIS .... the burgers being sawdust ... so not guilty, though the buns could use a little upgrade

clenz
August 22nd, 2019, 04:27 PM
Had a 5 guys open about 5-10 minutes from my house about 2 years ago.

Had it once and was extremely unimpressed
Tried it again about 7 months later and same story

No interest in going back

Culvers is about 23098403592834 times better

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 04:29 PM

Culvers is about 23098403592834 times better

It is. But the closest one to me in Jacksonville is an hour and a half away.

cx500d
August 22nd, 2019, 05:02 PM
It is. But the closest one to me in Jacksonville is an hour and a half away.

Oh puhleaze, In Jacksonville you are lucky to get chicken fried possum shanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
August 22nd, 2019, 05:12 PM
5 Guys?? No. Not impressed. Over cooked hockey pucks. Plus stay away from their hotdogs.

Smashburger is much better.

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 05:17 PM
Oh puhleaze, In Jacksonville you are lucky to get chicken fried possum shanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you kidding? That's a specialty here.

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2019, 06:49 PM

Culvers is about 23098403592834 times betterCulvers is the "Manny's" of burgers compared to 5 Guys. For fast food, it isn't even close. If you can't make a french fry, you can't make a burger.

POD Knows
August 22nd, 2019, 06:51 PM
5 Guys?? No. Not impressed. Over cooked hockey pucks. Plus stay away from their hotdogs.

Smashburger is much better.This, Smashburger is way better than 5 guys. I actually got crispy fries there the last time I ate there.

ST_Lawson
August 22nd, 2019, 06:59 PM
Maybe I'll just stick to making my own burgers then. I've never even heard of half the places you guys are talking about (I do know Culver's though, that's in our area, although we don't have one yet).

IBleedYellow
August 22nd, 2019, 07:11 PM
Culver's Burgers >>>>>

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 07:13 PM
Culver's Burgers >>>>>

Truth be told, the burgers at Culver's are average.

But the curds....

Oh the curds...

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2019, 08:08 PM
Speaking of Texas

Well, we all know a team from Iowa isn’t winning it....

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2019, 08:09 PM

5 guys is ****.

clenz
August 22nd, 2019, 08:21 PM
Well, we all know a team from Iowa isn’t winning it....Nope never hot here

Or cold

We are basically Hawaii

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 08:24 PM
Well, we all know a team from Iowa isn’t winning it.... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190823/97502224e2c3a276bc8b41eec3fde922.gif

gofurman
August 22nd, 2019, 08:35 PM
#southernspeed

Clemson or Bama - YEP. or Georgia maybe

IBleedYellow
August 22nd, 2019, 08:41 PM
The even better part about Southern speed jokes now....

NDSU recruits the state of Florida really well for payers.

uni88
August 22nd, 2019, 09:22 PM

But the curds....

Oh the curds...Culver's curds are good but if you want great curds you need to go to the right bar/restaurant in Wisconsin.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 09:27 PM
Culver's curds are good but if you want great curds you need to go to the right bar/restaurant in Wisconsin.

I'm not in Wisconsin.

uni88
August 22nd, 2019, 09:28 PM
I'm not in Wisconsin.I know that. I'm just giving you the 411 on quality curds.

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 09:29 PM
I know that. I'm just giving you the 411 on quality curds.

How about you ship me 411 quality curds?

Bisonoline
August 22nd, 2019, 09:36 PM
Culver's curds are good but if you want great curds you need to go to the right bar/restaurant in Wisconsin.

Truth

A home made fresh light tumpura or beer batter!!!!!!

The Coulee Golf Bowl in Onalaska and Rockys Supper Club in Stoddard Wi. Rockys is also at Riversfest in La Crosse.

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 09:42 PM
Truth

The Coulee Golf Bowl in Onalaska and Rockys Supper Club in Stoddard Wi. Rockys is also at Riversfest in La Crosse.

Got a recipe for me?

Bisonoline
August 22nd, 2019, 09:43 PM
Got a recipe for me?

Ive tried but I just cant make them like they can.

JSUSoutherner
August 22nd, 2019, 09:44 PM
Ive tried but I just cant make them like they can.

Dang

IBleedYellow
August 22nd, 2019, 09:57 PM
DangIt's impossible. They're so good there.

uni88
August 22nd, 2019, 10:49 PM

I'm in Oregon so no can do.

Truth

Exactly. Culver's curds taste heavy in comparison. The Waterfront in Delavan has excellent curds. Randy's Funhunter in Whitewater used to have great curds but they're now 841 Brewhouse and I don't know if they still have them. You can find great curds throughout the state but not every restaurant has them.

SUPharmacist
August 22nd, 2019, 11:09 PM

But the curds....

Oh the curds...

Nah, get the onion rings. Its the only fast food place I know that does a decent onion ring.

Smash burger is good, but I have had cruddy service every time I have tried it.

Thumper 76
August 23rd, 2019, 07:47 AM

Ding ding ding!!!!! We have a winner!

Nope never hot here

Or cold

We are basically Hawaii

Your Iowa weather tantrums never cease to amaze me. You would have people think Iowa is basically like having to live in hell where it’s as hot as TX and as cold as ND xlolx

ST_Lawson
August 23rd, 2019, 08:12 AM

They'd lose the squeak. You gotta have your curds squeaky.

JSUSoutherner
August 23rd, 2019, 08:24 AM
Ding ding ding!!!!! We have a winner!

Your Iowa weather tantrums never cease to amaze me. You would have people think Iowa is basically like having to live in hell where it’s as hot as TX and as cold as ND xlolx

It is, obviously.

POD Knows
August 23rd, 2019, 10:54 AM
Got a recipe for me?Buy some cheese curds, there are places in Wisconsin that will ship them to you. Go to the store, buy some beer batter or tempura, maybe put some seasoning in the batter and fry them out. Watch them close because you do not want the cheese to escape the batter.

Here is a link to Ellsworth Cheese, there is a ton of these joints in Wisconsin but I drive through Ellsworth once and a while and pick them up. What is really good is getting fresh ones and then throwing them on the dash of your vehicle with the heat on to warm them up, oh baby.

https://www.ellsworthcheese.com/

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 23rd, 2019, 04:35 PM
On the topic at hand, I see ETSU listed at +5000. If I was a betting man, I would take that bet. I would STILL not bet against Randy Sanders for he is the only current FCS head coach (to my knowledge) to win an FBS national title as an assistant.

JSUSoutherner
August 23rd, 2019, 05:32 PM
On the topic at hand, I see ETSU listed at +5000. If I was a betting man, I would take that bet. I would STILL not bet against Randy Sanders for he is the only current FCS head coach (to my knowledge) to win an FBS national title as an assistant.

If ETSU makes the Semis I'll change my Avatar to whatever you want for a year.

UpstateBison
August 23rd, 2019, 06:02 PM
Holy Thread Drift! In keeping with the spirit of the conversation, I had the best burger ever last night. Called the Belly Dancer, pork belly slice, wasabi slaw with aioli sauce. It won the Cribbs burger cook-off this past spring. When in Spartanburg, this is worth the trip.

I may need to think about cooking a few of these at the Delaware game.

Redbird 4th & short
August 23rd, 2019, 08:40 PM
Clearly a lot of you live by 5 Guys that don't know how to make a burger. I have no idea who finances the Harris Poll, but 5 guys was voted best burger chain in American. As long as they don't overcook it and dry it out .. like any burger ... it is actually quite good.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5b045a471ae66232008b4adc-750-563.jpg

https://theharrispoll.com/this-is-americas-favorite-burger-brand/

"Harris surveyed a total of 77,031 people to determine the “brand equity” of 17 different burger chains — Jack in the Box, Hardee’s, White Castle, Carl’s Jr., Checkers/Rally’s, DQ Grill & Chill, Burger King, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, SONIC America’s Drive-In, Five Guys, In-N-Out Burger, Culver’s, Steak ‘n Shake, Whataburger, Shake Shack, Smashburger."

What I don't like about the buns is some places wrap the burger way too tight and then stuff it in a bag (if to go) and the bun gets all smashed. I just wish they were more gentle with my buns !!!!!!!

JSUSoutherner
August 23rd, 2019, 09:28 PM
Clearly a lot of you live by 5 Guys that don't know how to make a burger. I have no idea who finances the Harris Poll, but 5 guys was voted best burger chain in American. As long as they don't overcook it and dry it out .. like any burger ... it is actually quite good.

"Harris surveyed a total of 77,031 people to determine the “brand equity” of 17 different burger chains — Jack in the Box, Hardee’s, White Castle, Carl’s Jr., Checkers/Rally’s, DQ Grill & Chill, Burger King, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, SONIC America’s Drive-In, Five Guys, In-N-Out Burger, Culver’s, Steak ‘n Shake, Whataburger, Shake Shack, Smashburger."

What I don't like about the buns is some places wrap the burger way too tight and then stuff it in a bag (if to go) and the bun gets all smashed. I just wish they were more gentle with my buns !!!!!!!

The burger joint I go to is a regular at the World Food Championships.

I can say with confidence that Five Guys is trash.

Bisonoline
August 23rd, 2019, 09:34 PM

Heres the problem with that. They have a sign up that says they will be cooking your burger WELL DONE.

grayghost06
August 24th, 2019, 01:10 AM
Clemson or Bama - YEP. or Georgia maybe

Not Georgia...then they'd have to relinquish their title as most underachieving team over the last 35 years. Lotta teams w/ far less touted recruits have won titles. The talent they bring in yearly is off the charts. They have great recruiters. If they could only get someone to coach those players and mold a cohesive team.

JSUSoutherner
August 24th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Not Georgia...then they'd have to relinquish their title as most underachieving team over the last 35 years. Lotta teams w/ far less touted recruits have won titles. The talent they bring in yearly is off the charts. They have great recruiters. If they could only get someone to coach those players and mold a cohesive team.

Pretty sure Michigan is more overhyped than Georgia. At least Georgia has MADE the playoffs.

grayghost06
August 24th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Pretty sure Michigan is more overhyped than Georgia. At least Georgia has MADE the playoffs.

Overhyped....possibly. But Michigan doesn't consistently get the top 5 talent like Georgia does.

JSUSoutherner
August 24th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Overhyped....possibly. But Michigan doesn't consistently get the top 5 talent like Georgia does.

Bullllllllllllllllll****ttttttttttttttttttt

gofurman
August 25th, 2019, 11:40 AM

I will say - and i don't care AT ALL about UGA - making the playoffs is worth something (a lot!.. it's not just titles. Consistent high-level play is worth a lot. if we just look at titles you get skewed data like a team that wins ONE title and doesn't show up most years while another team makes the CFP every other year. that latter team is certainly in the conversation for being a better team

example - if VMI won the FCS title this year and then disappeared back to irrelevance are they a better Program and team than Wofford or JSU? NO. thus why the very phrase exists "flash in the pan". MLB Marlins I think or some other like that.

CappinHard
August 26th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Heres the problem with that. They have a sign up that says they will be cooking your burger WELL DONE.

I hate well done burgers, or any meat, and I like five guys... maybe the Sioux Falls shops are doing something different? I've never thought they were overcooked, or even small for that matter. I was really surprised to see so many negative takes.

clenz
August 26th, 2019, 03:08 PM
I believe i can actually bet on this....maybe I should get registered at my local casino and actually place a bet