PDA

View Full Version : Transfers going UP a level vs. Down

LBPop
April 30th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I attended the University of Maryland spring game on Saturday and made few observations (more later), but in looking at the spring roster I saw something that surprised me. There were at least three kids who had transferred to Maryland from lower level programs--two from FCS programs. So, my question for the Board is how often does that happen and what are the typical results? I am assuming that these kids are getting some scholarship money and if so, the coach must believe they can play at that level.

My other key observation now that I have seen three seasons of non-scholly I-AA (yeah, I know it's FCS :D ) is that there are more than just a few kids on I-A rosters that would not start for solid FCS teams. I guess that's why when I hear about a big deal transfer from a I-A program to a FCS program, I often don't hear that much about them down the road.

Your observations, please.

andy7171
April 30th, 2007, 01:28 PM
From about 1994 to about 2002 a former player/coach for Towson took a job as a coach at Maryland. He would actively recruit Towson players to the point that HC Gordy Combs had to ban him from Towson athletic facilities. Now I don't blame him for Chad Scott transferring because Towson dropped scholarships in 1995, but he was the first. Chad has had a nice little 10+ year career in the NFL. Among the handful of players that transfered from Towson to Maryland is Madieu Williams starting safety for the Bengals.

Model Citizen
April 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Not too often.

What I've noticed is more people taking advantage of the rule that allows immediate eligibility when transferring up, if they have graduated and will be attending grad school.

See Brad Smith, who will graduate from Davidson next month and kick for USC next fall...

DFW HOYA
April 30th, 2007, 08:29 PM
My other key observation now that I have seen three seasons of non-scholly I-AA (yeah, I know it's FCS :D ) is that there are more than just a few kids on I-A rosters that would not start for solid FCS teams. I guess that's why when I hear about a big deal transfer from a I-A program to a FCS program, I often don't hear that much about them down the road.
Your observations, please.

That's certainly been the case at Georgetown. Over the past five years, Georgetown usually picks up a transfer a year from BCS schools like Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech, but none have stood out as one might think. A few years ago, Georgetown signed a defensive back from New Mexico that it listed in the pre-season media guide, but the player never actually made it to the team.

April 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM
What is I-A? :p

HensRock
May 1st, 2007, 08:06 AM
LBPop,
Was one of the FCS transfers from Delaware?

McNeeserocket
May 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
Not too often.

What I've noticed is more people taking advantage of the rule that allows immediate eligibility when transferring up, if they have graduated and will be attending grad school.

See Brad Smith, who will graduate from Davidson next month and kick for USC next fall...

I thought this rule to transfer up, if going to grad school, was revoked by the NCAA this spring meeting.

YoUDeeMan
May 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM
LBPop,

HensRock, If you are referring to Jones, LBPop mentioned that he saw names on the team's roster. I do not think Jones could have been on the MD roster - at least not yet. xbawlingx

LBPop
May 1st, 2007, 11:47 AM
LBPop,

I remember one from Marist, one from Bowie State and I think there was an A-10 transfer, but I don't recall the school. None of these players did anything very notable on the field, but frankly...very few did.xrolleyesx

HensRock
May 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM
HensRock, If you are referring to Jones, LBPop mentioned that he saw names on the team's roster. I do not think Jones could have been on the MD roster - at least not yet. xbawlingx

I assumes it was the "roster" the school printed for the spring game so the fans know who's who. Yes, I was referring to Jones. He cannot be listed on the official roster if he transfered there, but he could participate in spring drills.

TheValleyRaider
May 1st, 2007, 03:14 PM
I think there was a Bucknell lineman that transfered to Pittsburgh maybe two years ago

Franks Tanks
May 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM
I thought this rule to transfer up, if going to grad school, was revoked by the NCAA this spring meeting.

You are correct that rule no longer exists

LBPop
May 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM
I assumes it was the "roster" the school printed for the spring game so the fans know who's who. Yes, I was referring to Jones. He cannot be listed on the official roster if he transfered there, but he could participate in spring drills.

Link to Maryland spring roster - no Jones listed. Frankly I am surprised that there could be any list of names that long without at least one Jones. xlolx

I took a closer look and I see 6 listed as transfers from a lower level program. Surprising to me.

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/md-m-footbl-mtt.html#Alphabetical

Henny
May 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
One that I distinctly remember is Pete Carroll's son, started at UD, and transfered to Pitt.

I also thought UD had a player when he was a freshmen, didnt surface for a couple of years and someone pointed out that it was the same guy that was in a bowl game last year. I dont remember his name.

CopperCat
May 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Not too often.

That's called "sandbagging." I don't really agree with that rule at all.