PDA

View Full Version : Still no postseason allowed for Ivy Football Teams

bonarae
August 15th, 2019, 07:10 PM
... according to the League director.

When will they ever change its stance? xsmhx

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190815123915385644904&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Bisonoline
August 15th, 2019, 07:17 PM

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190815123915385644904&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Same old tired excuse that doesnt hold water.

ccd494
August 15th, 2019, 07:39 PM
I hope never. And I hope the CAA joins them.

Laker
August 15th, 2019, 07:58 PM
This is sad. You let all of your other sports compete for championships, but not football.

And I thought those people were supposed to be smart. Wrong.

RichH2
August 15th, 2019, 07:59 PM
Multi layered reasons for a continuing no.
Parse out the gibberish. Harvard wants nothing to sully the sanctity of the Game.

Bisonoline
August 15th, 2019, 08:13 PM
This is sad. You let all of your other sports compete for championships, but not football.

Its a head shaker for sure.

Model Citizen
August 15th, 2019, 09:40 PM
Props to Mr. Haley for finishing his column with mention of the only postseason football option the Ivies will ever consider, a "bowl-type game." I guess the odd wording tells us that we shouldn't compare such an event to the Rose Bowl? Yeah, I understand.

It seems obvious which league should be willing to give up its playoff autobid to send its #1 squad against the Ivy champ in the BTG. Hint: league name starts with a "P." Second Hint: not the one that allows 60 scholarships per team.

Professor Chaos
August 15th, 2019, 09:43 PM
"It's not just one game, our teams would win some games."
Talk is cheap. Prove it.

Bisonoline
August 15th, 2019, 10:47 PM
Talk is cheap. Prove it.

Yeah its the ---coulda --shoulda--woulda .

JSUSoutherner
August 15th, 2019, 10:48 PM
Trash.

SonuvaHenx2
August 15th, 2019, 10:56 PM

This right here. Either let all your teams compete or none of them should.

bonarae
August 15th, 2019, 11:32 PM
Props to Mr. Haley for finishing his column with mention of the only postseason football option the Ivies will ever consider, a "bowl-type game." I guess the odd wording tells us that we shouldn't compare such an event to the Rose Bowl? Yeah, I understand.

It seems obvious which league should be willing to give up its playoff autobid to send its #1 squad against the Ivy champ in the BTG. Hint: league name starts with a "P." Second Hint: not the one that allows 60 scholarships per team.

But ... it's not possible at this point in time. xsmhx

The Ivies need to diversify their football scheduling first before considering playoff participation. xtwocentsx

Alternative: Loser of SWAC Championship Game will get to play the Ivy champion in a "consolation" bowl game.

Panther88
August 16th, 2019, 06:34 AM
Alternative: Loser of SWAC Championship Game will get to play the Ivy champion in a "consolation" bowl game.

There were recent talks between the SWAC & Ivies regarding some type of “bowl” game.

The trendsetter, the annual kingpin of fcs attendance, the SWAC, leads the way yet again.

DFW HOYA
August 16th, 2019, 06:51 AM
There were recent talks between the SWAC & Ivies regarding some type of “bowl” game.

Halftime would be interesting. The Grambling Band versus, well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8j2ct_6uUg

JSUSoutherner
August 16th, 2019, 06:56 AM

The trendsetter, the annual kingpin of fcs attendance, the SWAC, leads the way yet again.

Trendsetter? Of what?

The only thing the SWAC leads the way in is number of L's taken each year.

RootinFerDukes
August 16th, 2019, 07:19 AM
The Ivy League is still trying to convince itself it’s I-A football without actually being I-A football. They don’t want to deal with the embarrassment of winning a “D2” championship, or worse, prove that the big 3 FCS conferences can consistently beat their best team.

Ivytalk
August 16th, 2019, 07:44 AM

Well, Harvard plays Howard this year, so we can use that as an experiment...xnodx

Except for the attendance part.

Seriously, I’d love to see Harvard schedule a home-and-home with a SWAC opponent. New Orleans in October > Cambridge in October.

dgtw
August 16th, 2019, 07:57 AM

If all of their sports sat out the postseason, I would have more respect for them. Being just football is silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
August 16th, 2019, 08:19 AM

https://i.imgur.com/LcVJkWB.gif

Professor Chaos
August 16th, 2019, 08:35 AM
I'm sure Yale's president voted yes to this though right? Considering his men's basketball team traveled to Miami on Saturday 12/1 last year (same days as the 2nd round of the 2018 playoffs) to play Miami at American Airlines Arena. Then on Saturday 12/8 they went to Duke. Or maybe he just doesn't care about the academics of his men's basketball team compared to his football team. I mean Miami and Durham, NC are both most likely a lot further away from Yale than a 2nd round FCS playoff game would be.

Panther88
August 16th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Been there. Did that already. No biggie.

PVAMU vs Rice Univ fall 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBPpYWNjw5c&t=94s

Panther88
August 16th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Trendsetter? Of what?

The only thing the SWAC leads the way in is number of L's taken each year.

It's true, in the recent past. We didn't take our athletics (football) seriously back in the day, obviously. But today? Sign on the dotted line so JxSU can catch another "L" at the hands of another upstart HBCU. Don't schedule an HBCU that offers 34 full-rides. Schedule one of our top conference squads and lets see what's shaking.

Panther88
August 16th, 2019, 09:33 AM
Well, Harvard plays Howard this year, so we can use that as an experiment...xnodx

Seriously, I’d love to see Harvard schedule a home-and-home with a SWAC opponent. New Orleans in October > Cambridge in October.

We are looking forward to the game vs Harvard. Immensely.

Panther88
August 16th, 2019, 09:36 AM

Ivy, why don't you enlighten the fcs-playoff proponents to the truth why the Ivies refuse to participate in the fcs-playoffs. xconfusedx

Laker
August 16th, 2019, 09:38 AM

Columbia was the band that publicly ridiculed their own football team. The players should have re-enacted the Cal run through the Stanford band. I'd pay to see that carnage.

bulldog10jw
August 16th, 2019, 09:54 AM
It is embarrassing that academics is being used as an excuse and so hypocritical considering basketball and LAX and hockey have longer seasons and still participate.

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/jeffjacobs/nhregister/article/Jeff-Jacobs-Silly-NCAA-rule-deters-Ivies-from-14308423.php?sid=5d12c75b91d15c071e5c5998&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newhavenregister_ctinsider

(https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/jeffjacobs/nhregister/article/Jeff-Jacobs-Silly-NCAA-rule-deters-Ivies-from-14308423.php?sid=5d12c75b91d15c071e5c5998&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newhavenregister_ctinsider)Robin Harris doesn’t like the NCAA bowl eligibility rule that handcuffs her august group of schools’ football scheduling against FBS teams. And the Ivy League executive director is right.

Yale coach Tony Reno says he’d love to play UConn.
And, yeah, that sounds about right now, too.

The Ivy League is the only FCS conference that doesn’t compete in the 24-team national playoff. That’s not going to change. Harris says the question inevitably arises anytime there’s an outstanding champion like Princeton in 2018. It’s no. It will remain no.

“The answer is multi-level,” Harris said. “There’s the tradition and the history surrounding Ivy League football and the fact our presidents are very comfortable the focus is on the Ivy League champion and competition. There’s also a concern on how the football championship extends into December and now into January and the impact it would have academically during serious times in the academic year.”

Redbird 4th & short
August 16th, 2019, 10:25 AM

not only spews obvious BS explanation, but then has the audacity to claim they would win mutliple games:

"It's not just one game, our teams would win some games," she continued. "The impact academically on the student-athletes is a concern. So the presidents have reaffirmed that they're very comfortable with where Ivy League football is now."

Uh ... March Madness ?????

https://i.imgflip.com/1bwx4d.jpg
(https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjyrruM2YfkAhURhOAKHU3CB40QjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fimgflip.com%2Fi%2F1bwx4d&psig=AOvVaw2nxymJ3fy8P40MhHAVdK4X&ust=1566055086331990)

Sader87
August 16th, 2019, 12:44 PM
As I've stated here in the past, I think the Ivies are more right than wrong here. College football at the D1 level lends itself much better to a bowl system than a month long , multiple game playoff system.

Redbird 4th & short
August 16th, 2019, 01:18 PM
As I've stated here in the past, I think the Ivies are more right than wrong here. College football at the D1 level lends itself much better to a bowl system than a month long , multiple game playoff system.
HS's, all college divisions except FBS, and the the Pro's all have a multiple game/week traditional tournament. Put another way, FBS is the only level that does not do this, and even they have trended toward a mini-playoff, currently 4 teams, and is likely to grow to 8 teams at some point.

So this explanation doesn't rationalize it any more logically than the one about academics.

The only acceptable explanation they have offered is "tradition". And by acceptable I mean, it could hold up as a somewhat legit argument, even if a weak one.

But under no circumstances does this administrator get to say .. paraphrasing, "we will not participate in your playoffs ever, but if we did, obviously our teams would win some games ... so that's why we won't join your playoffs".

You just don't get to do that when you're the one hiding behind the desk and pushing a pencil.

Laker
August 16th, 2019, 02:15 PM
"It's not just one game, our teams would win some games," she continued. "The impact academically on the student-athletes is a concern. So the presidents have reaffirmed that they're very comfortable with where Ivy League football is now."

Uh ... March Madness ?????

I'd like to see some numbers on how many FCS football players on teams fail because their teams were involved in playoffs. Or, how many players from non-playoff teams fail in comparison. Of course, you really can't do that because some players are going to fail either way.

Besides, aren't the Ivy schools supposed to be academically outstanding and it shouldn't bother the athletes.

Redbird 4th & short
August 16th, 2019, 03:04 PM
I'd like to see some numbers on how many FCS football players on teams fail because their teams were involved in playoffs. Or, how many players from non-playoff teams fail in comparison. Of course, you really can't do that because some players are going to fail either way.

Besides, aren't the Ivy schools supposed to be academically outstanding and it shouldn't bother the athletes.
what's further rediculous is she/they act like our playoffs affect the whole league ... it only affects the 1 team who gets the bid, arguably 2 teams in a peak year like 2018 for Ivy League. But that would be pretty rare. And most years that 1 team would be one and done, though occassionally they might win a playin game to get to round of 16. I just don't see them making it to round of 8 often at all.

So we're talking about adding 1 or 2 games to their 80 game schedule (8 teams, 10 games each) in most years ... OMG, how will all those poor disadvantaged kids ever be able to graduate with any honors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But again ... uh ... March Madness ?????? Not just multiple weeks, but multiple games per week .... if and only if you win !!!

Redbird 4th & short
August 16th, 2019, 03:29 PM
So decided to check out the schedules for the top Ivy League bball teams. In 2018, it was Yale ... congrats on a great season. Won the conference, then had a .. wait for it ..... an Ivy League playoff, followed by a ... wait for it ... 1 bid NCAA playoff and 1 bid for NIT tournament.

So lets look back to see how many decades or centuries they've been doing this Ivy League playoff. Must be a long time since they are such a "traditional" school that values the "regular" season so much. Surely they wouldn't do anything to undermine their regular season champ, unless it was for a long time tradition .. right ??? Let's see, first year of Ivy League basketball playoff dates all the way back to ..... 1917 .... wait no, I mis-read it ... 2017 .. so just completed their 3rd year of playoffs .... what a great tradition !!!!

So much for valuing tradition ... much less their regular season champion. Not to mention, they sent their 1st place tam to NCAA and their 2nd place team to NIT ... better check those boys grades.

Sader87
August 16th, 2019, 03:35 PM
FCS playoff system is too big, too long, unfairly seeded due to regionalism, poorly attended...did I say it takes too long already? :)

It's just not that appealing to some....Iviies and Patriots should have a bowl game annually at interesting sites: Yankee, Fenway, maybe Bermuda etc..

Be much better for the players and fans of those schools.

caribbeanhen
August 16th, 2019, 03:45 PM

I believe it was proposed to be called the Southren Speed vs Homeowner Deeds Bowl.....haha

bonarae
August 16th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Another suggestion: Negotiate with the NESCAC to let the Ivy champion and NESCAC champion play each other the same week as the Stagg Bowl.

Sader87
August 16th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Ivy football is at a whole other level, literally and figuratively than the NESCAC...games would be mismatches.

Redbird007
August 16th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Agree with Sade that there is basically little or nothing to gain (no positives) when factoring in FCS playoffs for the Ivies. So after the Ivy Presidents do their analysis of FCS playoffs the overall net is likely negative for the Ivy members. Sorry but an FCS championship absolutely brings no money or fame to the Ivy League or its members. They are obviously very unique

Panther88
August 16th, 2019, 07:45 PM
I believe it was proposed to be called the Southren Speed vs Homeowner Deeds Bowl.....haha

Doth I detect jealousy? It’s not a good look.

Good luck w/ your team this fall.

DFW HOYA
August 16th, 2019, 08:53 PM
It's just not that appealing to some....Iviies and Patriots should have a bowl game annually at interesting sites: Yankee, Fenway, maybe Bermuda etc..

Ivy has no interest in that scenario. That might draw 3,000 and they'd never make up the travel costs.

The Boogie Down
August 16th, 2019, 09:53 PM
Ivy has no interest in that scenario. That might draw 3,000 and they'd never make up the travel costs.

According the website below the Bermuda National Sports Centre holds about 4,800 seats (8,500 according to Wikipedia) but has tons of space for extra bleachers. With the help of those temporary seats and good marketing, maybe as the year's first bowl and played every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I can't see why a Bermuda Bowl featuring IL and PL teams wouldn't draw well. Fordham-Holy Cross drew 22,000 for a regular season game at Yankee Stadium. A warm weather bowl during the holidays should easily surpass that. Especially if H/Y/P was representing the IL. All that said, yeah, it's hard to imagine the Ivies ever doing anything more than the 10 games they already put in.

Bermuda National Sports Centre: https://www.gotobermuda.com/profile/bermuda-national-sports-centre/3229

DFW HOYA
August 16th, 2019, 10:25 PM
According the website below the Bermuda National Sports Centre holds about 4,800 seats (8,500 according to Wikipedia) but has tons of space for extra bleachers. With the help of those temporary seats and good marketing, maybe as the year's first bowl and played every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I can't see why a Bermuda Bowl featuring IL and PL teams wouldn't draw well.

Colgate-Dartmouth in November...how many are giving up Thanksgiving with their families to fly to Bermuda on a week's notice? The interest isn't there.

Iridebikes
August 16th, 2019, 10:44 PM

That's your opinion. I disagree whole heartedly. The playoff system and the suspense that is involved is much better the a bowl system. You win and you continue to play. In the bowl system, win or lose your done. Everything is on the line in every playoff game.

mvfcfan
August 17th, 2019, 02:22 AM
The real reason the Ivy League doesn't want to compete in the playoffs is because they would hurt their reputation. It would be a bad look for them to get beat early in the playofffs every year. If they actually believed they could compete they'd play in it.

I also don't understand the appeal of bowl games. I went to one last season when I was on vacation in FL and it felt like an exhibition game to me.

Sader87
August 17th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Colgate-Dartmouth in November...how many are giving up Thanksgiving with their families to fly to Bermuda on a week's notice? The interest isn't there.

Could be ovah XMAS break

Son of Eli
August 17th, 2019, 08:26 AM
But ... it's not possible at this point in time. xsmhx

The Ivies need to diversify their football scheduling first before considering playoff participation. xtwocentsx

Why the loser? Should be the winner. Either one would likely lose but at least it would be more competitive that way.

Son of Eli
August 17th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Another suggestion: Negotiate with the NESCAC to let the Ivy champion and NESCAC champion play each other the same week as the Stagg Bowl.

Are you joking? Ivy League champ would win that game by at least five touchdowns.

Redbird 4th & short
August 17th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Agree with Sade that there is basically little or nothing to gain (no positives) when factoring in FCS playoffs for the Ivies. So after the Ivy Presidents do their analysis of FCS playoffs the overall net is likely negative for the Ivy members. Sorry but an FCS championship absolutely brings no money or fame to the Ivy League or its members. They are obviously very unique
Maybe so RB7 ... but I think nearly every sport and virtually every level has a post season of some kind. If you're a competitive athlete, you want to see how you stack up against rest of your league .. it's just human nature to want to compete. And again, we're talking about something might impact 1 or 2 teams for 1 or 2 games usually. I think it is simple case of false pride that they are hiding behind. It's not FBS and they would struggle most years. Hell, even Pioneer demanded an autobid and eventually won a couple games .. Ivy League needs to swallow that false pride and join the rest of the world.

Redbird007
August 17th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Maybe so RB7 ... but I think nearly every sport and virtually every level has a post season of some kind. If you're a competitive athlete, you want to see how you stack up against rest of your league .. it's just human nature to want to compete. And again, we're talking about something might impact 1 or 2 teams for 1 or 2 games usually. I think it is simple case of false pride that they are hiding behind. It's not FBS and they would struggle most years. Hell, even Pioneer demanded an autobid and eventually won a couple games .. Ivy League needs to swallow that false pride and join the rest of the world.

The Ivy league has never had trouble fielding teams with competitive athletes and the athletes get to compete to be the Ivy league champion. It would be great for the rest of FCS if the Ivy league joined the fcs playoffs but again I do not see any upside for the Ivy league members.

Redbird007
August 17th, 2019, 11:23 AM
btw saying the Ivy league needs to join the playoffs to see how they stack up against the rest of the league is an interesting statement as the FCS is a mismatch of members with some that offer athletic scholarships, others that do not and beyond that there are differing requirements for students to be admitted to the various universities. I think we all know how the Ivy League would generally stack up against the top non Ivy teams in FCS.

Bisonoline
August 17th, 2019, 03:12 PM
The Ivy league has never had trouble fielding teams with competitive athletes and the athletes get to compete to be the Ivy league champion. It would be great for the rest of FCS if the Ivy league joined the fcs playoffs but again I do not see any upside for the Ivy league members.

All depends on what you consider an upside. The fact remains sports are supposed to be about the kids. There are f-----g their students athletes but not giving them the chances they deserve.

The Boogie Down
August 17th, 2019, 03:35 PM

Could be ovah XMAS break

It doesn't matter when exactly during the bowl season the game would be played. But yeah, during the Thanksgiving weekend would make it the first bowl of the season and it would also be inline w/the first round of the FCS playoffs. But again, the exact date doesn't matter.

What would matter would be marketing the game correctly and treating it like a reward. Making all IL and PL schools know that a league championship guarantees the reward of an extra game in a warm weather setting, like for instance, Bermuda. The same way that for decades every Big 10/Pac 10 school knew that a championship also guaranteed a trip to sunny Pasadena.

Make it a new tradition for all alumni in both leagues to look forward to. ABC does a great job promoting HBCU's with the Celebration Bowl, I can't see why they wouldn't want a crack at the IL's first ever (and only) bowl tie-in. I also can't see why IL alums/fans, the same ones who've been complaining about only having a 10 game schedule for nearly 40 years now, wouldn't travel well. Especially to a place like Bermuda which is closer to Boston/NYC/DC than Miami is.

But of course, the Ivies are the Ivies. Except for "The Game," they don't really like football. The few that do and go along w/the post-season ban do so b/c they're too scared to take on the best FCS schools in the playoffs. Especially since they don't like it spelled out that they're not in the FBS to begin with. The prospects of getting blown out by a CAA team terrifies them. The prospects of not even getting past an NEC team first horrifies them even more. But, if-if-if, they were to ever play a post-season game, one against the Patsies shouldn't be too frightening.

Like minded institutions playing in a unique locale with national network coverage should be an easy sell. But of course, the Ivies are the Ivies.

Son of Eli
August 17th, 2019, 05:00 PM
The Ivy League would jump at the chance to play a bowl game against the Patriot League Champion. The only thing stopping it is the Patriot League.

bonarae
August 17th, 2019, 05:12 PM
All depends on what you consider an upside. The fact remains sports are supposed to be about the kids. There are f-----g their students athletes but not giving them the chances they deserve.

And some Ivy student-athletes, when they graduate, often end up going to cellar-dwelling FBS teams as graduate transfers. That's not ought to be... xcoffeex

Schism55
August 17th, 2019, 07:50 PM
I know it's pie in the sky considering the Ivies obstinance in this matter, but how freaking awesome would it be to see Harvard at Montana....NDSU at Yale....Princeton at JMU??

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 17th, 2019, 08:33 PM
The Ivy League would jump at the chance to play a bowl game against the Patriot League Champion. The only thing stopping it is the Patriot League.

One of the few good things the PL offices has done is to avoid the IL/PL bowl game. The PL's stance on football is nearly as draconian at the Ivies. The limitations put in place since scholarships went into effect are absurd. The basically counteract the benefits of giving free rides.

Panther88
August 17th, 2019, 09:07 PM
Why the loser? Should be the winner. Either one would likely lose but at least it would be more competitive that way.

And you know this... how? Obviously you are not in the know what’s occurred since a slight return to our legacy occurred. xconfusedx

Son of Eli
August 17th, 2019, 09:49 PM
And you know this... how? Obviously you are not in the know what’s occurred since a slight return to our legacy occurred. xconfusedx

https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=308075&oid0=5500&h=0&s1=308075&oid1=6339

Panther88
August 17th, 2019, 11:16 PM
https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=308075&oid0=5500&h=0&s1=308075&oid1=6339

Tell massey to expedite the powerball #s to you so you can become a millionaire xlolx. The game is played on the field, not through “massey.”

Redbird007
August 17th, 2019, 11:30 PM
I know it's pie in the sky considering the Ivies obstinance in this matter, but how freaking awesome would it be to see Harvard at Montana....NDSU at Yale....Princeton at JMU??

Agree 110%. FCS football playoff game fans, and regular season game fans too, would go crazy with those type of match-ups. But again that is from one side's perspective only. For the ivies perspective they only become the center stage of a freak show.

Redbird007
August 17th, 2019, 11:45 PM
The fact remains sports are supposed to be about the kids.

not trying to argue with you but since when is "sports are supposed to be about the kids"?....D1 college sports are all about the $$$$ and beyond that what are professional sports about?......answer>>>>$$$$$$$

Redbird007
August 17th, 2019, 11:58 PM

I personally know of a couple of athletes, and now graduates, that were beyond thrilled to go on and play sports at an Ivy league university as that was their ticket to admittance to a prestigious university that would not have happened without the sport. I doubt Ivy athletes generally feel like they are being "f'ed".

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 12:22 AM
I personally know of a couple of athletes, and now graduates, that were beyond thrilled to go on and play sports at an Ivy league university as that was their ticket to admittance to a prestigious university that would not have happened without the sport. I doubt Ivy athletes generally feel like they are being "f'ed".Exactly. If either of my sons were offered a scholarship to play football for NDSU and compete for championships or a full ride to an Ivy League school I would recommend they head East post haste.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 12:34 AM
I personally know of a couple of athletes, and now graduates, that were beyond thrilled to go on and play sports at an Ivy league university as that was their ticket to admittance to a prestigious university that would not have happened without the sport. I doubt Ivy athletes generally feel like they are being "f'ed".

Considering that most Ivies wouldnt even sniff the playoffs you might be right. But I bet if you ask some top notch athletes that got screwed out of not being able to compete for a championship I think the answer would be much different.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 12:37 AM
Exactly. If either of my sons were offered a scholarship to play football for NDSU and compete for championships or a full ride to an Ivy League school I would recommend they head East post haste.

How would you feel if you had to pay for that education? You pay for him to go to the Ivies or NDSU????

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 12:43 AM
How would you feel if you had to pay for that education? You pay for him to go to the Ivies or NDSU????Irrelevant. As a parent, an Ivy League education trumps competing for championships with NDSU or any other school other than Stanford, Northwestern, etc. by 1000% so they aren't exactly "cheating" anyone.

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 12:48 AM
How would you feel if you had to pay for that education? You pay for him to go to the Ivies or NDSU????Pay to go to NDSU? Hell no. I'd pay for them to go where they are now over accepting a full ride from NDSU.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 12:51 AM
Pay to go to NDSU? Hell no. I'd pay for them to go where they are now over accepting a full ride from NDSU.

That wasnt the choices. Thanks for playing.

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 12:57 AM
That wasnt the choices. Thanks for playing.It's simple. If either of my sons was offered a full ride to (a) NDSU or a similar school where they could compete for championships or (b) a strong academic school such as Georgia Tech, Purdue, Illinois, Lehigh, Colgate, Cal Poly, etc. I would steer them toward b. College is about preparing for the future and academics trump's athletics.

Redbird007
August 18th, 2019, 01:04 AM
Considering that most Ivies wouldnt even sniff the playoffs you might be right. But I bet if you ask some top notch athletes that got screwed out of not being able to compete for a championship I think the answer would be much different.
Almost universally speaking top notch students, whom also may be athletes too, go to the Ivies as opposed to top notch athletes looking to play in some championship game. BTW championship games can happen in the Ivy league too and that Ivy league championship may mean a lot more than being an FCS champion.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 01:07 AM
It's simple. If either of my sons was offered a full ride to (a) NDSU or a similar school where they could compete for championships or (b) a strong academic school such as Georgia Tech, Purdue, Illinois, Lehigh, Colgate, Cal Poly, etc. I would steer them toward b. College is about preparing for the future and academics trump's athletics.

Oh I get it. For some reason you dont think NDSU has strong academics????

So you would pass on a full ride to NDSU so you could pay for there schooling to your list of schools. Correct?

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 01:09 AM
Almost universally speaking top notch students, whom also may be athletes too, go to the Ivies as opposed to top notch athletes looking to play in some championship game. BTW championship games can happen in the Ivy league too and that Ivy league championship may mean a lot more than being an FCS champion.

Yeah ok.
Universally speaking?????? Stop it youre killing me.:D

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 01:17 AM
Oh I get it. For some reason you dont think NDSU has strong academics????

So you would pass on a full ride to NDSU so you could pay for there schooling to your list of schools. Correct?First, when it comes to academics NDSU isn't anywhere near the same level as the schools I listed.

Second, my sons go to Colorado Mines and Illinois Tech and yes I would pay for them to attend those schools vs. a full academic scholarship from NDSU.

Redbird007
August 18th, 2019, 01:17 AM
How would you feel if you had to pay for that education? You pay for him to go to the Ivies or NDSU????

A little bit different but basically the same...I payed for my daughter to attend the U of Chicago (with 50% academic scholarship) vs going to various public schools including several that offered her a full basketball scholarship at the D1 level... so there is my answer. She could have done same at Penn and Dartmouth too but choose U of C. I am confident, despite her having an outstanding ACT score, that she would not have been admitted to any of the schools if it was not for her basketball abilities. I am also confident in saying that she is employed and making a significant salary that would not have been possible had she gone the "free" college route. There is no guarantee reward by going her route but it certainly has already paid big dividends for her with her job/income and due to the fact that she was admitted to Kellogg business school this past spring.

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 01:33 AM

That wasnt the choices. Thanks for playing.

Thanks for answering your own question.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 01:43 AM
A little bit different but basically the same...I payed for my daughter to attend the U of Chicago (with 50% academic scholarship) vs going to various public schools including several that offered her a full basketball scholarship at the D1 level... so there is my answer. She could have done same at Penn and Dartmouth too but choose U of C. I am confident, despite her having an outstanding ACT score, that she would not have been admitted to any of the schools if it was not for her basketball abilities. I am also confident in saying that she is employed and making a significant salary that would not have been possible had she gone the "free" college route. There is no guarantee reward by going her route but it certainly has already paid big dividends for her with her job/income and due to the fact that she was admitted to Kellogg business school this past spring.

Congrats to your daughter. But you really dont know there would have been a big difference in salary if she had gone to a school offering a free ride. But it does fit your narrative to a certain point.
I find it amusing that you think if she had gone to an Ivy that she would be making less money. Dont hear that one everyday.:D

There has been big change in the mind set of what a degree is really worth. There have also been studies that have shown the pay back from the expensive schools dont really play out.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 01:55 AM
But back to my original premise. If you dont think an athlete wants to participate for championships you are mistaken. All the scenarios you can conjure
wont change that fact.

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 02:01 AM
But back to my original premise. If you dont think an athlete wants to participate for championships you are mistaken. All the scenarios you can conjure
wont change that fact.In other words, my original theory got blown apart and I'm just going to pretend it didn't happen and go on believing that South Manitoba State University is the center of the universe.

Ivytalk
August 18th, 2019, 07:42 AM
In other words, my original theory got blown apart and I'm just going to pretend it didn't happen and go on believing that South Manitoba State University is the center of the universe.

Yup, South Manitoba State has produced more Nobels, Pulitzers, Marshalls, and Rhodeses than all the Ivies combined.

NDSUtk
August 18th, 2019, 12:30 PM
I hope never. And I hope the CAA joins them.You want the CAA to abandon the playoffs?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 18th, 2019, 12:40 PM
First, when it comes to academics NDSU isn't anywhere near the same level as the schools I listed.

Second, my sons go to Colorado Mines and Illinois Tech and yes I would pay for them to attend those schools vs. a full academic scholarship from NDSU.

Well, good for you.

My daughter got a full ride grad GA at NDSU but I should have paid for her to go to either Colorado Mines or Ill Tech because they must be better schools....

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 18th, 2019, 12:42 PM
wont change that fact.

This here!

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Well, good for you.

My daughter got a full ride grad GA at NDSU but I should have paid for her to go to either Colorado Mines or Ill Tech because they must be better schools....It's a personal choice and IMO those schools are better than NDSU for what my kids wanted to study and worth the additional cost. My kids did get significant scholarship funding so I'm not talking about full cost at one vs a full ride at NDSU.

I'm not saying NDSU isn't a good school, I'm saying it isn't as good as either of those (or the Ivies, Lehigh, Colgate, etc.). I'm sending my kids to college to get the best education for the dollar that they can to prepare them for the future. Whether they compete for championships isn't nearly as important to me as a parent as the quality of their education.

UNI isn't as good of a school as they are either do no need to get all cupcakey, butt hurt because I'm not venerating NDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 18th, 2019, 02:08 PM
It's a personal choice and IMO those schools are better than NDSU for what my kids wanted to study and worth the additional cost. My kids did get significant scholarship funding so I'm not talking about full cost at one vs a full ride at NDSU.

I'm not saying NDSU isn't a good school, I'm saying it isn't as good as either of those (or the Ivies, Lehigh, Colgate, etc.). I'm sending my kids to college to get the best education for the dollar that they can to prepare them for the future. Whether they compete for championships isn't nearly as important to me as a parent as the quality of their education.

UNI isn't as good of a school as they are either do no need to get all cupcakey, butt hurt because I'm not venerating NDSU.

xlolx....I guess I'm getting "all cupcakery" or whatever the heck that is.

PL had a good point and I agree with it. Some kids that are "athletes" want to compete for championships.

And my daughter is not "competing for a championship" but is competing with other kids for a job when she is done with grad school. Having a GA on her resume looks pretty damn good IMO. And she is getting a very good education that will prepare her for the job market.

There are an infinite number of schools to choose from for HS kids. Too many probably. Should a kid turn down an "Ivy League" education? Probably not. That feather in a cap probably would go a very long way in today's world but for most of "us" that will not happen. My NDSU degree has benefited me enormously and made my life better.

I could give 2 sh**s about your opinion of NDSU, Oline had a good point and you 2 dismissing it is laughable.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 03:09 PM
It's a personal choice and IMO those schools are better than NDSU for what my kids wanted to study and worth the additional cost. My kids did get significant scholarship funding so I'm not talking about full cost at one vs a full ride at NDSU.

You are talking from a parents view point. Not a players. The players is what Ive been talking about.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 18th, 2019, 06:34 PM
You are talking from a parents view point. Not a players. The players is what Ive been talking about.

Over the last few years, there have been many NDSU football recruits that had FBS offers and they turned them down to come to NDSU to win a title. Kids want to win. Or go to some G5 or lower P5 school and sit on the bench and maybe go to the Ring around the Collar bowl....

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 06:55 PM

You're talking in absolutes. Are there kids that want to keep playing and compete for championships? Yes. But there are also kids who are ready to get on with their lives and make choices for academic and other reasons. Some kids are lucky and get to leverage their athletic ability to get a good education. There are quite a few kids that would choose and Ivy or similar school rather than going to an FCS school that participates in the playoffs. There is nothing wrong with those kids and the choices they make.

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 07:16 PM
xlolx....I guess I'm getting "all cupcakery" or whatever the heck that is.

PL had a good point and I agree with it. Some kids that are "athletes" want to compete for championships.

And my daughter is not "competing for a championship" but is competing with other kids for a job when she is done with grad school. Having a GA on her resume looks pretty damn good IMO. And she is getting a very good education that will prepare her for the job market.

There are an infinite number of schools to choose from for HS kids. Too many probably. Should a kid turn down an "Ivy League" education? Probably not. That feather in a cap probably would go a very long way in today's world but for most of "us" that will not happen. My NDSU degree has benefited me enormously and made my life better.

I could give 2 sh**s about your opinion of NDSU, Oline had a good point and you 2 dismissing it is laughable.

Oline expressed his perfectly valid opinion. My issue was that he expressed it like it was the truth and then when he was presented with anecdotal evidence to the contrary he ignored it and declared that he was right.

But back to my original premise. If you don’t think an athlete wants to participate for championships you are mistaken. All the scenarios you can conjure wont change that FACT.

You should be proud of NDSU. I'm proud of UNI and my degree from there. If I could go back in time and change things I would still go to UNI. I would guess that you feel the same about NDSU. But I do recognize the while I love UNI and it's a great school that it isn't at the same level academically overall as the Ivies, Lehigh, Colgate, etc. NDSU isn’t at the same academic level either.

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 07:28 PM
I am also confident in saying that she is employed and making a significant salary that would not have been possible had she gone the "free" college route.

I find it amusing that you think if she had gone to an Ivy that she would be making less money. Dont hear that one everyday.:D

Oline, I think you misunderstood what RB7 was saying. I'm pretty sure that he is confident that his daughter is making more money as a result of her U of Chicago education than she would have if she'd gone to ISUr, NDSU, UNI, etc. with a full ride academic or athletic scholarship. The University of Chicago is a D3 school that was a founding member of the B1G0 but they dropped to maintain their focus on academics. Academically, they're equal to the Ivies, Stanford, etc. and probably the best academic institution in the midwest. A UofC education is extremely valuable.

Is 50 Lakes just north of Brainerd & Garrison? If I make it back that way next summer, maybe I can buy you a beer in Crosby if you're game.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 07:29 PM
Oline expressed his perfectly valid opinion. My issue was that he expressed it like it was the truth and then when he was presented with anecdotal evidence to the contrary he ignored it and declared that he was right.

You should be proud of NDSU. I'm proud of UNI and my degree from there. If I could go back in time and change things I would still go to UNI. I would guess that you feel the same about NDSU. But I do recognize the while I love UNI and it's a great school that it isn't at the same level academically overall as the Ivies, Lehigh, Colgate, etc. NDSU isn’t at the same academic level either.

You are correct that the Ivies have a storied history and Im not saying that they arent great universities.

But lets be honest. What do the Ivies do that its supposedly better than UNI???? May be the Ivies have some really advanced classes in quantum mechanics or medical research that UNI doesnt. But do the Ivies really teach physical education better than UNI or NDSU???

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 07:36 PM
Oline, I think you misunderstood what RB7 was saying. I'm pretty sure that he is confident that his daughter is making more money as a result of her U of Chicago education than she would have if she'd gone to ISUr, NDSU, UNI, etc. with a full ride academic or athletic scholarship. The University of Chicago is a D3 school that was a founding member of the B1G0 but they dropped to maintain their focus on academics. Academically, they're equal to the Ivies, Stanford, etc. and probably the best academic institution in the midwest. A UofC education is extremely valuable.

Is 50 Lakes just north of Brainerd & Garrison? If I make it back that way next summer, maybe I can buy you a beer in Crosby if you're game.

Yes Im familiar with the school being a member of the Big Ten. They also have some juice with their alumni -- 7 billion in endowments.
Wasnt the U of Chicago involved in the Manhattan Project?

Fifty Lakes is 35 miles north of Brainerd. Garrison about 40 miles. I was in Crosby just the other day at the medical center. Its like 20 miles. Would love to meet you. Just holler.

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 07:50 PM
You are correct that the Ivies have a storied history and Im not saying that they arent great universities.

But lets be honest. What do the Ivies do that its supposedly better than UNI???? May be the Ivies have some really advanced classes in quantum mechanics or medical research that UNI doesnt. But do the Ivies really teach physical education better than UNI or NDSU???

Physical education? No. In fact I would guess that UNI's education major programs are right up there with the Ivy's. UNI also has an excellent business school but they're not Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Penn, etc. The Ivies have a number of things going for them besides renowned professors: reputation, intellectual level of students in general, the network of friends that you develop is most likely going to be more successful. There are no guarantees but an Ivy education can provide opportunities that an NDSU/UNI education likely won't.

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 07:55 PM
Yes Im familiar with the school being a member of the Big Ten. They also have some juice with their alumni -- 7 billion in endowments.

Fifty Lakes is 35 miles north of Brainerd. Garrison about 40 miles. I was in Crosby just the other day at the medical center. Its like 20 miles. Would love to meet you. Just holler.

Yes to the Manhattan Project.

Hopefully I'll be at Bay Lake the last week of June next year. If I am I'll likely head up to Crosby for a beer at Cuyuna Brewing and will let you know.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 08:00 PM
Yes to the Manhattan Project.

Hopefully I'll be at Bay Lake the last week of June next year. If I am I'll likely head up to Crosby for a beer at Cuyuna Brewing and will let you know.

Ruttgers Resort?

cx500d
August 18th, 2019, 08:10 PM
FCS playoff system is too big, too long, unfairly seeded due to regionalism, poorly attended...did I say it takes too long already? :)

They didn’t play when it was 16 team field either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cx500d
August 18th, 2019, 08:19 PM

Agree with this prediction

cx500d
August 18th, 2019, 08:21 PM
First, when it comes to academics NDSU isn't anywhere near the same level as the schools I listed.

I’ve had some fine graduates of Colorado Mines work for me.

cx500d
August 18th, 2019, 08:26 PM

Hell, Iowa state was involved in the Manhattan project.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 08:50 PM
Hell, Iowa state was involved in the Manhattan project.

Is that where the Russians came from?

cx500d
August 18th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Is that where the Russians came from?

Read about Frank Spedding...we need his expertise now to get out from under the chicoms

uni88
August 18th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Ruttgers Resort?

Woodland Beach on the other side of the lake.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Read about Frank Spedding...we need his expertise now to get out from under the chicoms

That guy played on a different level.

Sader87
August 18th, 2019, 09:22 PM
Back to the topic of the playoffs itself, it's just not that big of a deal to some...winning a division that is basically the "Island of Misfit Toys" is just not that big of a deal.

I like the FCS level but it's really only good for the regular season imo

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 09:30 PM
Back to the topic of the playoffs itself, it's just not that big of a deal to some...winning a division that is basically the "Island of Misfit Toys" is just not that big of a deal.

If your school feels that way then thats all you will ever be. But as Ive said before---if you arent in the playoffs its easy to say they dont matter. But I bet your players would love to be good enough to participate in them.

Sader87
August 18th, 2019, 09:34 PM
Mehhh...rather play Navy, Syracuse and the Ives in the regular season and call it a day(season )....

DFW HOYA
August 18th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Mehhh...rather play Navy, Syracuse and the Ives in the regular season and call it a day(season )....

You'd still rather call it a day with a sold out Fitton Field against BC than 20,000 empty seats versus Georgetown.

Bisonoline
August 18th, 2019, 09:51 PM

Thats the point---YOU aint playing.

cx500d
August 18th, 2019, 10:38 PM
Mehhh...rather get asswhupped by Navy, Syracuse and the Ives in the regular season and call it a day(season )....and then enjoy basketball season watching my favorite team, the Washington Generals

FYP

SonuvaHenx2
August 18th, 2019, 10:53 PM
Hey, that 0.0176 win percentage is bound to get better - law of averages and all that xrotatehx

caribbeanhen
August 19th, 2019, 05:03 AM
Doth I detect jealousy? It’s not a good look.

Good luck w/ your team this fall.

Pinky, you might be interested to know I just got the results of my DNA test, proud to announce that you and I could very well be related....... haha

best of luck to the Panthers this season ....

Redbird 4th & short
August 19th, 2019, 08:03 AM
If your school feels that way then thats all you will ever be. But as Ive said before---if you arent in the playoffs its easy to say they dont matter. But I bet your players would love to be good enough to participate in them.
This x 100 .. if Holy Cross had a very good team year in year out, the attitudes and explanations would change. And I would bet 90% (or more) of the players and coaches would rather they be allowed to prove themselves and compete in playoffs.'

Much to my disappointment, Pioneer was give an autobid in 2012 when we went to 24 teams. At the time, we had too many undeserving autobids getting playoff bids .. so I was opposed to adding an autobid. But at least they fought to be included, despite being non-scholly.

In 2012, South Dakota went 0-8 in MVFC but beat 6-0 Colgate by 10. Colgate got autobid and lost to Wagner .. neither team deserved a playoff bid, plus a couple others. In recent years, I'm less bothered because most autobids are either legit playoff teams or at least questionable bubble teams compared to 4+ years ago. I think Ivy League would consistently have at least a "bubble" level teams if not a legit playoff team.

So their inclusion has probably helped raise the bar on these leagues. Which by itself is a good thing, so again it bothers me less over time. I'm a believer and supporter of "all shops rising" being a good thing.

But it's been said twice now, so I have to respond .... the notion that FCS playoffs needs Ivy League more than Ivy League needs FCS playoffs wreaks of misguided arrogance and really wishful thinking.

p.s. And I would bet a years salary the Ivy basketball players just love that 4 team Ivy playoff as one last chance to prove themselves befero NCAAs and NIT tournament ... please acknowledge the hypocrisy of this at some point !!!!!

Mocs123
August 19th, 2019, 10:22 AM
….Ivy league championship may mean a lot more than being an FCS champion.

That's odd to me. I certainly can't blame a player for going Ivy for the academics and the prestige that goes with that diploma, but I don't agree that an Ivy league champion is bigger than an FCS championship.

If my son got the opportunity through sports to go to an Ivy or an NDSU (etc), I would suggest the Ivy but my guess is even though my son is the QB of his school team and makes straight A's, neither an Ivy or NDSU are going to come calling.

Go Green
August 19th, 2019, 10:29 AM
I'm sure Yale's president voted yes to this though right? Considering his men's basketball team traveled to Miami on Saturday 12/1 last year (same days as the 2nd round of the 2018 playoffs) to play Miami at American Airlines Arena. Then on Saturday 12/8 they went to Duke. Or maybe he just doesn't care about the academics of his men's basketball team compared to his football team. I mean Miami and Durham, NC are both most likely a lot further away from Yale than a 2nd round FCS playoff game would be.

The only Ivy president who has been expressly pro-playoffs was Dartmouth's Jim Kim. While he is no longer at Dartmouth, I'd imagine that current Dartmouth President Hanlon would be fine with playoffs.

All other Ivy presidents are either anti-football (Bowen, Giamatti, Levin), misinformed about football (Pollack), or apathetic about football. I suspect most fall into #3.

Herder
August 19th, 2019, 10:53 AM

Yes, I think that there should not be playoffs at any level of college football, because you know, it will never be as good as the NFL. College football is pretty meaningless. I think Alabama should be content in competing for SEC championships, then just calling it a day. As long as they get a game against Auburn and Georgia, that's all that really matters, not whether or not they are successful.

Do you realize how idiotic you sound? It might be foreign to you, but there are college FB teams and fans at all levels that actually care about winning and championships, not just getting fresh air on Saturday.

Redbird007
August 19th, 2019, 12:32 PM
That's odd to me. I certainly can't blame a player for going Ivy for the academics and the prestige that goes with that diploma, but I don't agree that an Ivy league champion is bigger than an FCS championship.

If my son got the opportunity through sports to go to an Ivy or an NDSU (etc), I would suggest the Ivy but my guess is even though my son is the QB of his school team and makes straight A's, neither an Ivy or NDSU are going to come calling.

My comment you referenced was suggesting that due to the nature of the Ivy League (no athletic scholarships, high admittance requirements, academics/network almost certainly were the reason the "student"/athlete selected an ivy league university) it may mean more for Yale players /coaches to beat harvard/princeton, penn..etc and win the IVy league then it would for for the Yale players to defeat Eastern Washington/montana/NDSU/Ill State..etc for an FCS title. Really hard to know where the players reside. As far as administration and alumni I would guess the FCS title does not mean much otherwise they would already be in the FCS playoffs.

btw remember my comment was made in response to the comment that Ivy League players do not get to play for a championship and I was suggesting that being the Ivy League champ may be meaningful

Model Citizen
August 19th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Players want to play. Coaches want to coach.

But this isn't club football. The playoff issue is dead, dead, dead.

uni88
August 19th, 2019, 01:47 PM
My comment you referenced was suggesting that due to the nature of the Ivy League (no athletic scholarships, high admittance requirements, academics/network almost certainly were the reason the "student"/athlete selected an ivy league university) it may mean more for Yale players /coaches to beat harvard/princeton, penn..etc and win the IVy league then it would for for the Yale players to defeat Eastern Washington/montana/NDSU/Ill State..etc for an FCS title. Really hard to know where the players reside. As far as administration and alumni I would guess the FCS title does not mean much otherwise they would already be in the FCS playoffs.

btw remember my comment was made in response to the comment that Ivy League players do not get to play for a championship and I was suggesting that being the Ivy League champ may be meaningful

That's way too well thought out of a post. Please put your knuckles back on the ground, grunt and scratch yourself. :D

Ivytalk
August 19th, 2019, 02:01 PM
The only Ivy president who has been expressly pro-playoffs was Dartmouth's Jim Kim. While he is no longer at Dartmouth, I'd imagine that current Dartmouth President Hanlon would be fine with playoffs.

All other Ivy presidents are either anti-football (Bowen, Giamatti, Levin), misinformed about football (Pollack), or apathetic about football. I suspect most fall into #3.
The MIT guy who is the current Harvard president is almost certainly #3. The last one was probably a 1.5, so we may have stepped up.

Sader87
August 19th, 2019, 11:16 PM
The FCS playoffs seem to be more important to schools that haven't been D1 that long....just sayin'

Bisonoline
August 19th, 2019, 11:54 PM
The FCS playoffs seem to be more important to schools that haven't been D1 that long....just sayin'

Did you play college football ? If so did you receive a scholarship to play football or a intercollegiate sport??

Redbird 4th & short
August 20th, 2019, 01:47 PM

let's flip that statement around a bit and see if it still works ...... the Ivy League regular season "seem" to be more important to schools that have been in the Ivy League too long ... um, yep, it works still ... even better if you ask me.

xnodx xdrunkyx

Redbird 4th & short
August 20th, 2019, 01:54 PM

so why did these same ADs and Presidents, etc agree to start an Ivy League basketball playoff for top 4 Ivy teams after their coveted conference season already determined a champion ? And in advance of accepting 1 bid for NCAAs and 1 for NIT. And they just started this Ivy playoff in 2017 ... so much for their alleged "tradition/regualr season importance" argument for opting out of FCS football playoffs.

Sader ... please acknowledge or credibly dispute the obvious inconsistency at some point !!!!!!!!!

p.s. And isn't accepting an NIT bid for basketball about the same as accepting an FCS bid in football ? Let's see ... top 68 teams get NCAA bids, and about 80 teams get FBS Bowl bids. I would argue most of our top 24 FCS playoff teams (at large bids anyways) would be ranked at or just below this top 80 level, with a handful being ranked well inside the top 80 FBS. So in my mind FCS for football equals NIT for basketball.

Sader87
August 20th, 2019, 04:08 PM
As I've said, football (really at any level save for the NFL) doesn't lend it itself well to a playoff system as other sports do for a variety of reasons...mostly time to heal and lack of calendar time (weeks available to play out a 20+ playoff field).

Massachusetts HS football has gone to a playoff system and its ripped apart the tradition of the season (not playing all league members, ruining the Thanksgiving game etc) It has not been well liked by most here.

The Ivies are smart to avoid the FCS playoffs imo....they would be better served to upgrade their OOC regular season schedules and/or add a bowl game...most likely against the Patriot League.

Panther88
August 20th, 2019, 04:37 PM
upgrade their OOC regular season schedules and/or add a bowl game...

Trendsetter.

Sounds so... familiar. Hmmmmmmm.... xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
August 20th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Like the proverbial bad penny, this thread keeps coming back every year. I favor Ivy FB playoff participation, but I’m resigned to the continuation of the status quo. Sader’s idea of better OOC scheduling is excellent, and some Ivy schools are doing that, but I don’t think a Patriot “bowl game” adds much. An Ivy-SWAC game in N’Awlins is intriguing. Anyway, that’s all I have to say about that. — Forrest Ivytalk

bonarae
August 20th, 2019, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately, until a pro-football Ivy President majority is the case, this kind of thread will keep on coming back each year.

We better realign the scheduling and the quality of the OOC...

Ivytalk
August 21st, 2019, 05:42 PM
I would still prefer an 11th game and starting the season the first Saturday after Labor Day with bye.

That would open up OOC possibilities
Fair point. I’m fine with that as well.

dgtw
August 21st, 2019, 06:23 PM
I guess we are lucky they just don’t play a seven game season so they don’t have to rub elbows with the hoi polloi.

Ivytalk
August 22nd, 2019, 08:53 AM
I guess we are lucky they just don’t play a seven game season so they don’t have to rub elbows with the hoi polloi.

Back in my day, the Ivies played a 9-game schedule. Every year, two lucky OOC opponents were elevated to a higher athletic, intellectual, and spiritual plane!xnodx