PDA

View Full Version : #4 Fordham Preview Now Up

colgate13
August 5th, 2005, 10:07 AM
The 13 Yard Line (http://colgate13.blogspot.com)

This will most likely be the last one for about a week. Not that I'm trying to keep anyone in suspense with a surprise pick - I just don't think I'll be able to get to #3 for at least a few days. I hope to wrap up this whole thing by next weekend.

Stay tuned!

Go...gate
August 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Fordham will contend, but they (along with Dartmouth), need to ditch the black pants and socks :eek: , which look awful. How about Maroon and White or Maroon and Gold?

Fordham
August 5th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Go ... gate - your wish is our command. Our (relatively) new President is directing all teams to go back to the traditional Fordham color scheme, so you should see the ditching of the black either this year or next.

Gate13, great write-up. I'll copy and paste my response from the Fordham board over here:

As with the other teams already up on your site, well done gate13. I think you captured most Ram's fans feelings about the '04 season by reminding everyone of just how easily it could have been 7 - 4 (or better). I would also add that a full picture of our '04 season leaves one with no doubt that we played to the level of our opponents virtually the entire year. The # of games decided in the last minute (both W & L's) was unbelievable last year. That's why learning how to beat up on the teams you're better than and to find a way to win against the tougher opponents is something I'm looking for the coaching staff to instill this year. That, and to produce a more disciplined team when it comes to penalties and stepping up in key situations.

Some specific comments about your piece:

*Recruiting wise, I would argue that Louis Woodlan (LB, 6-2, 225, Silver Spring, MD/Springbrook), Fonzie Culver (LB, 6-0, 205, Akron, OH/CVCA) (who was mentioned in your piece) & Kimbrick Baker (WR, 6-0, 174, Miramar, FL/Jackson) are the players at the top of most Ram fans' list of possible impact freshmen.

*"Jesuit Jihad" - nice. Do you get credit for that "recently coined" phrase or did you get it from somewhere?

*"All in all it's a balanced schedule that seems to continue the Rams trend of scheduling better competition." - I think most fans think we're stuck in a bit of a scheduling rut and need to improve it dramatically (see several threads in here for details).

*Good call on the run d - that will likely make or break us this year, imo.

*I also think the FieldTurf installation you mentioned plays to our team strengths and the slow field of the past years may have contributed to our poor home field record, given that we are a speed based team (imo). Conversely, our road warrior start to this season will make things tough, imo, and I hope we come into Columbia strong.

*Imo, if you read the B-nell write-up and then ours, you'd conclude that B-nell is the more impressive squad (or at least write-up). Not sure if that means they truly should be 4, that maybe you actually believe they should be 4 or is just my misinterpretation. I'll tell that your piece and some others that I've recently read on B-nell has made me particularly concerned about their squad. I tend to think they have the widest range of any team, meaning that they could be incredibly good if the QB position develops and they can manage the skid ... or they could go into the gutter if the QB gets shell shocked, the D gets worn out and that road stretch kills them. Just my .02.

Again, great job (the incredible effort here definitely makes me wonder what you do for a living). We obviously knew you'd never put us ahead of your Red Rai-duhs ... but I was glad to see us a notch above Bucknell, which could have clearly been given the 4 spot.

ngineer
August 5th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Nice job 13. It will be good to see the new turf at Coffey--what a lousy surface that was. Interesting about the lack of a 'home field advantage'--maybe it has something with the 'visitors' also sitting on the 'home' side of the field--too much noise behind the Ram bench whle the visitors sit in tranquility across the way :D

DFW HOYA
August 6th, 2005, 08:45 PM
This might be the year Georgetown finally gets past Fordham.

The Hoyas have not defeated the Rams since 1983, but at least the game's at home. (Georgetown has not won in the Bronx since 1975.)

JoltinJoe
August 7th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Nice job 13. It will be good to see the new turf at Coffey--what a lousy surface that was. Interesting about the lack of a 'home field advantage'--maybe it has something with the 'visitors' also sitting on the 'home' side of the field--too much noise behind the Ram bench whle the visitors sit in tranquility across the way :D

Thanks for the idea.

I've emailed to coach, and he tells me that the visitors will now be on the sideline with the stands. ;)

ngineer
August 7th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the idea.

I've emailed to coach, and he tells me that the visitors will now be on the sideline with the stands. ;)

Good. I'm planning on being there in November for another repeat.

JoltinJoe
August 8th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Good. I'm planning on being there in November for another repeat.

The law of averages would strongly suggest a Fordham win. :) or :( (I really don't know which).