PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week #1 Pick 'em

The Cats
July 31st, 2019, 09:49 PM
It's only 24 days until week #1 kicks off.

I don't think it's too early to make your SoCon picks and power rankings prior to the start of play. Enough talking, time to pick!

Saturday, Aug 24, 2019
Samford at Youngstown State

Thursday, Aug. 29
Eastern Illinois at Chattanooga

Saturday, Aug. 31
Charleston Southern at #19 Furman
#11 Towson at The Citadel
ETSU at App State
Mercer at Western Carolina
#9 Wofford at SC State
VMI at Marshall
Samford at Tenn Tech

---------------------------------

Week 1 Power Ranking
1. Wofford (#9)
2. Furman (#19)
3. ETSU
4. Mercer
5. The Citadel
6. WCU
7. Chattanooga
8. Samford
9. VMI

I think the Cats will be the surprise of the season, as the young defense holds up better than many expect.

gofurman
July 31st, 2019, 10:05 PM
Saturday, Aug 24, 2019

Thursday, Aug. 29

Saturday, Aug. 31
Charleston Southern at Furman
Towson at The Citadel
ETSU at App State
Wofford at SC State
VMI at Marshall
Samford at Tenn Tech

be interested in Mercer WCU game

Week 1 Power Ranking
1. Wofford
2. Furman
3. Mercer
4. ETSU
5. Chattanooga
6. The Citadel
7. Samford
8. WCU
9. VMI
--------------

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2019, 10:50 PM
See ya on this thread in about 3 weeks...

Training Camp injuries, no-shows, academic casualties that didn’t get the B they needed in Summer School, surprise Transfers in (I’m sure the bellhops are still scanning the waiver wires looking for men of “honor,” “duty,” and “respect”...coincidentally, with 1 year of eligibility remaining), and/or Tyrie’s last minute transfer to Nevada (I have sources)

...too much can happen between now & 8/24!

FUBeAR’s commitment to 100% projection accuracy will not allow him to prognosticate before it’s time.

MR. CHICKEN
July 31st, 2019, 11:11 PM
..........YEAH......TOO EARLY.......AWK!

bonarae
July 31st, 2019, 11:54 PM
Saturday, Aug 24, 2019

Thursday, Aug. 29

Saturday, Aug. 31
Towson at The Citadel
ETSU at App State
Wofford at SC State
VMI at Marshall
Samford at Tenn Tech

Not much to say right now...

Reign of Terrier
August 1st, 2019, 07:41 AM
Samford at Youngstown State (though I will be pulling for Samford) (Game is Birmingham)
Towson at The Citadel
ETSU at App State
Wofford at SC State
VMI at Marshall
Samford at Tenn Tech

Week 1 Power Ranking
1. Wofford
2. Furman
3. Chattanooga
4. Samford
5. The Citadel
6. WCU
7. ETSU
8. Mercer
9. VMI

SU DOG
August 1st, 2019, 09:39 AM
VERY homerish picks here of course. Power rankings - just too early, although Samford will be mush higher than most pick.

SAMFORD wins over YSU in Montgomery, then beats Tenn Tech in Cookeville.
UTC over EIU
Furman no trouble with CSU
The Citadel edges Towson at home
App State too much for Bucs
Mercer beats the Catamounts
Wofford thumps SC State
Marshall over an improved VMI

The Cats
August 1st, 2019, 02:35 PM
Saturday, Aug 24, 2019

Thursday, Aug. 29

Saturday, Aug. 31
Towson at The Citadel
ETSU at App State
Wofford at SC State
VMI at Marshall
Samford at Tenn Tech

Week 1 Power Ranking
1. Wofford
2. Furman
3. ETSU
4. Mercer
5. The Citadel
6. WCU
7. Chattanooga
8. Samford
9. VMI

gofurman
August 1st, 2019, 07:01 PM
Samford at Youngstown State (though I will be pulling for Samford) (Game is Birmingham)
Towson at The Citadel
ETSU at App State
Wofford at SC State
VMI at Marshall
Samford at Tenn Tech

Week 1 Power Ranking
1. Wofford
2. Furman
3. Chattanooga
4. Samford
5. The Citadel
6. WCU
7. ETSU
8. Mercer
9. VMI

Mercer as the 8th best team in the league in power rankings?? I don't see that. Heck, they always go 6-5 as is well documented. (I get a power poll is not the same but still)

The Cats
August 1st, 2019, 08:02 PM
Mercer as the 8th best team in the league in power rankings?? I don't see that. Heck, they always go 6-5 as is well documented. (I get a power poll is not the same but still)

For the last 3 of 4 years, they were 5-6.

FUBeAR
August 1st, 2019, 08:45 PM
For the last 3 of 4 years, they were 5-6....and 3-0 vs. WCU in the past 3 years...there’s also that.

Catamount87
August 2nd, 2019, 07:38 AM
...and 3-0 vs. WCU in the past 3 years...there’s also that.

No doubt it's been a hell of a series so far.

Mercer is definitely an enigma. The talent is there. They're always competitive and have beaten and soundly beaten "better" teams. But somehow they just aren't getting over the hump. It seems like every year is "the year" but alas it doesn't quite happen. The ball is right there at their finger tips. It looks like they may have it and yet that ball slips through their fingers. The one constant here is coaching. Lamb is a good coach but is he a great coach? Given his track record, I'd go with a good coach but ultimately not the coach that will get Mercer over the hump.

Reign of Terrier
August 2nd, 2019, 08:14 AM

They finish 6-5 a lot, but they haven't beaten a ranked opponent since 2015, and as far as I know they haven't ever beaten a ranked team on the road. They also don't retain both coordinators from last year, and they lose some wide receiver talent that was pretty dad gum stout the last few years. If anything, what evidence do we have that they'll finish better than 6-5? Finishing 6-5 in this case would still mean being 4-4 in the conference, and I don't see them at .500.

Maybe Riddle is the next Jacob Huesman or whatever, but I don't think he has the supporting cast or system around him to finish .500 in conference play. I think they're definitely worse than my top 3 and see them losing to at least 2 of the following 4.

Reign of Terrier
August 2nd, 2019, 08:19 AM
No doubt it's been a hell of a series so far.

Mercer is definitely an enigma. The talent is there. They're always competitive and have beaten and soundly beaten "better" teams. But somehow they just aren't getting over the hump. It seems like every year is "the year" but alas it doesn't quite happen. The ball is right there at their finger tips. It looks like they may have it and yet that ball slips through their fingers. The one constant here is coaching. Lamb is a good coach but is he a great coach? Given his track record, I'd go with a good coach but ultimately not the coach that will get Mercer over the hump.

As far as I'm concerned, in the last 5 years or so, both Mercer and Western Carolina, and to a lesser extent the Citadel, have had what I call "gamecock syndrome." Unlike the five teams who have made the playoffs, these teams have just been ever-so-close and the reason why is because they can't close these conference games, or they have that one team that they can't beat to get over the hump. No doubt in my mind, if Western beats Mercer in 2017, the Socon is a four bid league again.

In my personal conference rankings, I give deference to teams that have made the playoffs more than once. ETSU isn't there yet because they've only done it once. But, Mercer/Western Carolina have a serious case of "almost" and "next year" like the Gamecocks of UofSC, and that seems to be the trend more than anything.

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2019, 08:27 AM
As far as I'm concerned, in the last 5 years or so, both Mercer and Western Carolina, and to a lesser extent the Citadel, have had what I call "gamecock syndrome." Unlike the five teams who have made the playoffs, these teams have just been ever-so-close and the reason why is because they can't close these conference games, or they have that one team that they can't beat to get over the hump. No doubt in my mind, if Western beats Mercer in 2017, the Socon is a four bid league again.

In my personal conference rankings, I give deference to teams that have made the playoffs more than once. ETSU isn't there yet because they've only done it once. But, Mercer/Western Carolina have a serious case of "almost" and "next year" like the Gamecocks of UofSC, and that seems to be the trend more than anything.

To me, the difference between "good" teams and "ok" teams is the ability to "close." Either score or prevent scoring before the end of each half and finding a way to win at the final bell.

Talent is often pretty equal across the teams. The difference is coaching and execution when it matters.

Reign of Terrier
August 2nd, 2019, 08:30 AM
To me, the difference between "good" teams and "ok" teams is the ability to "close." Either score or prevent scoring before the end of each half and finding a way to win at the final bell.

Talent is often pretty equal across the teams. The difference is coaching and execution when it matters.

Exactly, that's why I'm harping on redbird (an Illinois State fan) in another thread. The losers who fail to make the playoffs try to play the transitive property game that says they're really good (the bottom 7 in the MVFC).

The fact that these teams can't close isn't just correlated with the fact that they are .500, it is causal.

So I remain a skeptic of WCU/Mercer until proven otherwise. Same with Samford in the playoffs.

FUBeAR
August 2nd, 2019, 09:27 AM
They finish 6-5 a lot, but they haven't beaten a ranked opponent since 2015, and as far as I know they haven't ever beaten a ranked team on the road. They also don't retain both coordinators from last year, and they lose some wide receiver talent that was pretty dad gum stout the last few years. If anything, what evidence do we have that they'll finish better than 6-5? Finishing 6-5 in this case would still mean being 4-4 in the conference, and I don't see them at .500.

Maybe Riddle is the next Jacob Huesman or whatever, but I don't think he has the supporting cast or system around him to finish .500 in conference play. I think they're definitely worse than my top 3 and see them losing to at least 2 of the following 4.FUBeAR’s Truth-O-Meter rating for this post...

http://www.politicspa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/mostly-false.jpg

Smitty
August 2nd, 2019, 09:55 AM
FUBeAR’s Truth-O-Meter rating for this post...

http://www.politicspa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/mostly-false.jpg

Most people reply with the correct information if somebody post is wrong.

Also it does seem a little early for a week 1 thread, so I'll hold off on predictions just yet

FUBeAR
August 2nd, 2019, 10:17 AM
Most people reply with the correct information if somebody post is wrong.

Also it does seem a little early for a week 1 thread, so I'll hold off on predictions just yet
somebody’s

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2019, 11:10 AM
Exactly, that's why I'm harping on redbird (an Illinois State fan) in another thread. The losers who fail to make the playoffs try to play the transitive property game that says they're really good (the bottom 7 in the MVFC).

The fact that these teams can't close isn't just correlated with the fact that they are .500, it is causal.

So I remain a skeptic of WCU/Mercer until proven otherwise. Same with Samford in the playoffs.

That's the way I see it.

Losing a lot of close games is not necessarily indicative of being this close to great things. Those teams are just less likely to finish out four quality quarters of football. We already know the talent is mostly the same across the board, so the great separation between good teams and less good teams has to be things like coaching and execution.

It isn't random, in my opinion.

BearDownMU
August 2nd, 2019, 11:43 AM

Maybe Riddle is the next Jacob Huesman or whatever, but I don't think he has the supporting cast or system around him to finish .500 in conference play. I think they're definitely worse than my top 3 and see them losing to at least 2 of the following 4.

I know I was unconscious for most of last season, but did the Samford game cease to exist while I was out? Because I'm pretty sure that checked both those boxes.

The Cats
August 2nd, 2019, 11:55 AM

I agree 100%.

I also agree with what was said about Lamb. Lamb and Speir are both good coaches, but not great coaches, they just can't seem to get their teams to execute when it matters.

The Cats
August 2nd, 2019, 12:05 PM
They finish 6-5 a lot....

Actually, they finish 5-6 a lot. Finished 5-6 last 3 out of 4 seasons, only finished 6-5 in one season since the re-birth of football in Macon. This is why Lamb is on the hot seat in 2019.

Mercer's record:
2018 - 5-6
2017 - 5-6
2016 - 6-5
2015 - 5-6
2014 - 6-6
2013 - 10-3

Reign of Terrier
August 2nd, 2019, 12:07 PM
I know I was unconscious for most of last season, but did the Samford game cease to exist while I was out? Because I'm pretty sure that checked both those boxes.

Fair enough, but did they beat a team on the road that was ranked that remained ranked for the year? There's a difference between exposing a team and having a coming out party.

Reign of Terrier
August 2nd, 2019, 12:10 PM
I agree 100%.

I also agree with what was said about Lamb. Lamb and Speir are both good coaches, but not great coaches, they just can't seem to get their teams to execute when it matters.

Spier is the best coach WCU has had since Waters.

The fact that some may say he "can't get it done" is sort of a testament to how he's changed expectations in Cullowhee by not sucking too bad.

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2019, 12:14 PM
I agree 100%.

I attended both Furman and Mercer, both times coinciding with Lamb's tenure at each school. I've seen him coach a lot of football games over the last 17 years.

Over the years, his teams have lost some excruciatingly close games. Games they were leading in the closing minutes. I can probably tick off 10 or more just during his time at Furman without even looking them up. At Mercer it has been much the same. For Furman fans, it really hasn't been surprising to see Mercer lose a lot of close games. At least their fans haven't had to sit through the "Miracle on the Mountain."

Just like at Furman, Lamb's teams will lose some games they should have won. They'll win some games they should have lost. I think that's a fair assessment.

Maybe this is the year he bucks that trend. After nearly two decades, though, it seems more like that's the rule and not the exception.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough, but did they beat a team on the road that was ranked that remained ranked for the year? There's a difference between exposing a team and having a coming out party.

Tell that to the Jacksonville State fella who crows about JSU's win over a terrible UTC team that was ranked in week 1 but stunk.

The Cats
August 2nd, 2019, 12:42 PM
Spier is the best coach WCU has had since Waters.

I don't think I said that Speir wasn't a good coach, or that he isn't the best coach since Bob Waters was in Cullowhee.

Every college fan base has high expectations of their team, regardless of past records or head coaches. I do think (and hope) that the Cats will pull off some very unexpected wins this season. However, regardless of Speir's record, he'll be in Cullowhee for at least 5 more years.

gofurman
August 2nd, 2019, 01:17 PM

i am NOT piling on Mercer or my friend FUBeAR.. what i am doing is supporting the above premise of PaladinFan and ReignofTerrier. I watched Furman through Lamb AND Fowler. I can attest we didn't just lose close games. We lost games we shoulda won. There is a difference. As PaladinFan has mentioned : To lose by 3 points but you were trailing by 10 w 5 minutes left and you scored a TD w one minute left and woulda had to execute the onside kick and get a FG (then win in OT) is not the same as losing when you led by a few points with one minute left and allow a TD in regulation and the other team has to go 50+ yards to get that TD in those 50 seconds. In the first example you had a 10% chance of winning w 5 minutes left. In the latter example you had an 80+ percent chance at winning and "blew it".

I saw the second type a lot with Lamb and Fowler (yes, Lamb was Hamstrung at Furman w $ etc, I agree!). But I am talking losing to Mercer (Fowler I think) where we took the lead w little time left and kicked off and Mercer had a minute left and drove and threw a 30 yard TD pass.. we have many examples of this.

As you say.. CAN YOU CLOSE? Can you play with execution for 60 minutes.. esp the last few minutes. I have seen good signs of this w Hendrix. You will lose and win.. but how do you do in the close games. I had a part of a thread that showed that Hendrix is 5-4 in close games but Hendrix is 5-2 in close games after his very first two games in 2017 which were against top 15 Wofford and Elon (brutal way to start a coaching career in FCS when players are still learning your system). SInce then he is 5-2 in close games.

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2019, 02:02 PM
i am NOT piling on Mercer or my friend FUBeAR.. what i am doing is supporting the above premise of PaladinFan and ReignofTerrier. I watched Furman through Lamb AND Fowler. I can attest we didn't just lose close games. We lost games we shoulda won. There is a difference. As PaladinFan has mentioned : To lose by 3 points but you were trailing by 10 w 5 minutes left and you scored a TD w one minute left and woulda had to execute the onside kick and get a FG (then win in OT) is not the same as losing when you led by a few points with one minute left and allow a TD in regulation and the other team has to go 50+ yards to get that TD in those 50 seconds. In the first example you had a 10% chance of winning w 5 minutes left. In the latter example you had an 80+ percent chance at winning and "blew it".

I saw the second type a lot with Lamb and Fowler (yes, Lamb was Hamstrung at Furman w $ etc, I agree!). But I am talking losing to Mercer (Fowler I think) where we took the lead w little time left and kicked off and Mercer had a minute left and drove and threw a 30 yard TD pass.. we have many examples of this.

As you say.. CAN YOU CLOSE? Can you play with execution for 60 minutes.. esp the last few minutes. I have seen good signs of this w Hendrix. You will lose and win.. but how do you do in the close games. I had a part of a thread that showed that Hendrix is 5-4 in close games but Hendrix is 5-2 in close games after his very first two games in 2017 which were against top 15 Wofford and Elon (brutal way to start a coaching career in FCS when players are still learning your system). SInce then he is 5-2 in close games.

Close games are a part of football. I think I tend to distinguish "close" games with "games we should have won" games.

The 2017 season opener makes the point as well as any. Furman was a big underdog on the road and went for a big win. Still, Wofford led most of the game and was able to hold off a late charge and make a few more plays. It was impressive that Furman made the game that close, but it was a game Wofford should have (and did) win.

Reign of Terrier
August 2nd, 2019, 02:42 PM
Close games are a part of football. I think I tend to distinguish "close" games with "games we should have won" games.

The 2017 season opener makes the point as well as any. Furman was a big underdog on the road and went for a big win. Still, Wofford led most of the game and was able to hold off a late charge and make a few more plays. It was impressive that Furman made the game that close, but it was a game Wofford should have (and did) win.

Another dimension of this is that some games, even if they appear to be controlled by the scoring margin do hinge on only a handful, there are lots of games, not just in the Socon where one team had the other's number in the regular season (say, they won by 2-3 scores) and then they made it back to the playoffs and had a complete reversal of fortune. NDSU against anyone in the MVFC in the last 9 years or so is a good example of this.

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2019, 03:26 PM
Another dimension of this is that some games, even if they appear to be controlled by the scoring margin do hinge on only a handful, there are lots of games, not just in the Socon where one team had the other's number in the regular season (say, they won by 2-3 scores) and then they made it back to the playoffs and had a complete reversal of fortune. NDSU against anyone in the MVFC in the last 9 years or so is a good example of this.

I imagine it is hard to beat a good time twice in the same season.

I think a lot of the SoCon season in 2019 may come down to a handful of plays over the course of the season. I think a lot of games will be very close.

In my estimation, that is one of the reasons you see Furman, Wofford, and ETSU at the top of the SoCon table in some order. Of the teams in the league, those are the three that have recently demonstrated an ability to shut down games late. I do not think we are going to see a lot of the sort of thing we saw 10 years ago, where App State is just steam rolling everyone.

SU DOG
August 5th, 2019, 11:48 AM
YSU is a 1.5 point favorite to beat Samford. I really expect to see this spread increase before game time, since many fans of teams in the MVFC think it will be a one-sided Penguin win. Also, UTC has opened as a 8.5 point favorite over EIU. One other line that I found interesting is Western Illinois as a 21.5 point favorite over North Alabama @ UNA. That seems a little steep to me.

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2019, 12:07 PM
YSU is a 1.5 point favorite to beat Samford. I really expect to see this spread increase before game time, since many fans of teams in the MVFC think it will be a one-sided Penguin win. Also, UTC has opened as a 8.5 point favorite over EIU. One other line that I found interesting is Western Illinois as a 21.5 point favorite over North Alabama @ UNA. That seems a little steep to me.

This would be a big game for Samford to win. Big for the SoCon too.

Fitness may also come into play. A 3:00 kick on Aug. 24 in Montgomery is likely going to be brutally hot.

SU DOG
August 6th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Some additions to the lines:

SAMFORD vs YSU is still 1.5 Penguins.
Furman by 17.5 over CSU.
Towson 1.5 over The Citadel.
Mercer by 3.5 over Western Carolina.
Wofford favored by 19.5 over SCSU
SAMFORD by 21.5 over Tenn Tech @ TT. Tech will be much improved, so this may be a bit high.
I follow lines for entertainment purposes only.

Reign of Terrier
August 6th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Some additions to the lines:

SAMFORD vs YSU is still 1.5 Penguins.
Furman by 17.5 over CSU.
Towson 1.5 over The Citadel.
Mercer by 3.5 over Western Carolina.
Wofford favored by 19.5 over SCSU
SAMFORD by 21.5 over Tenn Tech @ TT. Tech will be much improved, so this may be a bit high.
I follow lines for entertainment purposes only.

This sounds arrogant AF but pick the over for Wofford/Furman and Samford against TT

gofurman
August 6th, 2019, 12:45 PM
This sounds arrogant AF but pick the over for Wofford/Furman and Samford against TT

Did you meant the over or cover? suspect you meant the cover. not sure about the Furman "over" (total points for both teams) - we are breaking in a 'brand-new' qb.. either a R-FR who has never played college ball for the most part or a sophomore transfer who played WR for MTSU last year. I suspect we will run a good bit to set up the pass this year. Now maybe we practice our passing game more vs CSU if we get a comfortbale lead. just a thought. on other hand CSU is switching to an air-raid offense and we don't defend that as well so they should score.

line for Furman is 17.5 and total 'over' is 44.5
line for wofford is 19.5 and total is 41.5

actually both those totals are pretty low I admit.

Vegas numbers predict a Furman win of roughly 31 - 14 over Charleston Southern and a Wofford win over SC State of 31 - 10

Reign of Terrier
August 6th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Did you meant the over or cover? suspect you meant the cover. not sure about the Furman "over" (total points for both teams) - we are breaking in a 'brand-new' qb.. either a R-FR who has never played college ball for the most part or a sophomore transfer who played WR for MTSU last year. I suspect we will run a good bit to set up the pass this year. Now maybe we practice our passing game more vs CSU if we get a comfortbale lead. just a thought. on other hand CSU is switching to an air-raid offense and we don't defend that as well so they should score.

line for Furman is 17.5 and total 'over' is 44.5
line for wofford is 19.5 and total is 41.5

actually both those totals are pretty low I admit.

Vegas numbers predict a Furman win of roughly 31 - 14 over Charleston Southern and a Wofford win over SC State of 31 - 10

I didn't know about the air raid aspect, and I obviously don't gamble, so let me be more specific with my claim:

Wofford will score 40+ on SC State. We had our best offensive performance since 2010 (ya know, when future NFL receiver Brenton Bersin and GOAT Eric Breitenstein were playing) last year, and turnovers were the only thing keeping us from scoring 50 against PC/GW. We set the school record for yardage in one week, then a couple weeks later we came very close again. We struggle against great defenses (like all option teams do), but SC State is not going to be that. They're going to be more comparable to Gardner Webb than any Socon team we've played. They aren't as bad as VMI, but they're not going to be ready. We're bringing back most everyone on offense, plus some depth at seemingly all positions and some further offensive tweaks.

Pick the over for the Wofford game and Wofford will cover too.

Furman's offense will be one to watch because I don't forsee CSU stopping it. Furman has minimal to no question marks on defense, though the air raid has been their weakness (much like Wofford), but I don't expect CSU to be firing on all cylinders for their their first game. I would expect Furman to cover, but I'm not as sure about picking the over, because Roberts-less Furman was a different machine on offense last year.

PaladinFan
August 6th, 2019, 02:57 PM
I do not believe CSU's air raid will be akin to Samford's. CSU was an option-based team transitioning to a pass heavy offense. My guess is that they will be hamstrung not only by changing systems, but not yet having personnel to run that system effectively.

I'm cautiously optimistic. The last Big South team to visit Paladin Stadium embarrassed us (KSU). This is, of course, a different team.

Fortunately, we have a game plan for the air raid. We see it every year.

gofurman
August 6th, 2019, 03:09 PM
I would take Wofford to go over 41.5 points. The only thing that keeps that in doubt is Wofford plus SC State running the ball a good bit. Esp that SC State is a conservative run-first team.. clock will keep on tickin'. But if forced to pick I would say more than 41.5 points in that game as I see Wofford hitting 30+

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2019, 08:28 AM
I went through South Carolina State's per-possession stats last year and it was very unimpressive.

On one hand, they kept teams out of the endzone 70% of the time against MEAC teams. On another, they only scored themselves at roughly the same rate. My intuition is that the MEAC is very bad, much like the Big South. You can learn quite a bit from teams that play in quality conferences based on how often they score when they have the ball and cross referencing it with all of these averages, but in the bad conferences it looks like a dumpster fire because you can't tell if defenses are that good or if they appear that good because the offenses they play are just bad. Kennesaw State was that way last year, and to their credit, I think they were good, albeit not as great as their stats implied.

Meanwhile, Wofford scored more often on better defenses last year and kept teams out of the endzone at roughly the same rate against better offenses.

Again, y'all can think I'm just being over confident, but I'll be *very* surprised if Wofford doesn't run away from this one. I will be surprised if 1 of these 3 doesn't happen: Wofford scores 40, Wofford wins by 25, SC State scores less than 17.

My intuition is that this one will be in the 45-10 to 45-24 range.

wcugrad95
August 7th, 2019, 06:39 PM
I am too lazy to go look - what is the over/under on Mercer @ WCU? Based on last year’s game, this one could hit triple digits!!! Both defenses should probably be at least a little better (think there was like 1400 yards in last year’s game), but with Adams and Riddle running the show for each team I expect a shootout may very well take place.

FUBeAR
August 7th, 2019, 07:20 PM
I am too lazy to go look - what is the over/under on Mercer @ WCU? Based on last year’s game, this one could hit triple digits!!! Both defenses should probably be at least a little better (think there was like 1400 yards in last year’s game), but with Adams and Riddle running the show for each team I expect a shootout may very well take place.Mercer favored by 3.5 w/ O/U @ 71.5

Mercer at Western Carolina - Game

08/31/2019

Mercer (https://odds.5dimes.mobi/search/Mercer/)

-3½

18:00 (EST)

Western Carolina (https://odds.5dimes.mobi/search/Western-Carolina/)

+3½

08/31/2019

O 71½

U 71½

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2019, 11:55 PM
I revise my prediction for Wofford-SC State. No way they score 20 on us, unless we gift wrap them points or if we score 50-60.

SC State offense only scored 30% of the time last year. That's was Wofford's average against FCS competition and our competition was much harder than the MEAC

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SCPALADIN
August 8th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Mercer favored by 3.5 w/ O/U @ 71.5

08/31/2019

-3½

+3½

08/31/2019

O 71½

U 71½

I'd take the Over...

The Cats
August 8th, 2019, 12:32 PM
I'd take the Over...

So you think both defenses are going to be on the light side again this season?

This will be John Wiley's third season as the defensive coordinator for the Cats, so I'm hoping to see substantial improvement in Western's defense this season. However this game does sport two high octane offenses, so this is a tough opener for the Cat's defense.

Reign of Terrier
August 8th, 2019, 12:58 PM
I think if Mercer has a good offense this year they'll have a bad defense and if they have a good defense it's because their offense is bad.

It's how they were the last 2 seasons.

SU DOG
August 8th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Mercer should have a terrific offense, and if they can find some marked improvement in their defense - Watch Out!!

Milktruck74
August 8th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Mercer should have a terrific offense, and if they can find some marked improvement in their defense - Watch Out!!

Same story, next year!

FUBeAR
August 8th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Same story, next year!
If “Watch Out!!” is not THE STORY for Mercer this year, next year WILL be different; maybe not better, but it WILL be different.

FUBeAR
August 8th, 2019, 03:28 PM
I think if Mercer has a good offense this year they'll have a bad defense and if they have a good defense it's because their offense is bad.

It's how they were the last 2 seasons.
So, we both KNOW injuries to Mercer’s starting AND back-up QB’s AND starting All SoCon RB played a highly significant role in the competitiveness, if not the outcome, of the Mercer @ Wofford game in 2018. How much either Mercer’s “bad Offense” OR “bad Defense” had to do with that game is certainly difficult to assess. Maybe it was both.

OTOH, was it a “bad Mercer Offense” or a “bad Mercer Defense” that kept Wofford looking at the Bears’ hindquarters for 56 minutes & 26 seconds of the 2017 Wofford @ Mercer game, before the YardYappers squeaked out a 1 point win over an obviously “bad” Mercer Team.

Reign of Terrier
August 9th, 2019, 07:36 AM
So, we both KNOW injuries to Mercer’s starting AND back-up QB’s AND starting All SoCon RB played a highly significant role in the competitiveness, if not the outcome, of the Mercer @ Wofford game in 2018. How much either Mercer’s “bad Offense” OR “bad Defense” had to do with that game is certainly difficult to assess. Maybe it was both.

OTOH, was it a “bad Mercer Offense” or a “bad Mercer Defense” that kept Wofford looking at the Bears’ hindquarters for 56 minutes & 26 seconds of the 2017 Wofford @ Mercer game, before the YardYappers squeaked out a 1 point win over an obviously “bad” Mercer Team.

Doesn't matter, we pounded Mercer last year and any suggestion to the contrary contradicts reality.

FUBeAR
August 9th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Doesn't matter, we pounded Mercer last year and any suggestion to the contrary contradicts reality.
It matters to me & it mattered enough to you to make the original comment. So, I’m asking you to clarify your statement of ‘fact’ regarding Mercer “the last 2 seasons,” which clearly covers their 2017 game with Wofford.

So...was it a “bad Mercer Offense” or a “bad Mercer Defense” that kept Wofford looking at the Bears’ hindquarters for 56 minutes & 26 seconds of the 2017 Wofford @ Mercer game, before the YardYappers squeaked out a 1 point win over an obviously “bad” Mercer Team?

PaladinFan
August 9th, 2019, 08:58 AM

I think Mercer will be in a boat similar to Western Carolina in that they have the talent to compete with any team, but might rely too much on a small handful of players carrying them. I think that is a bit what plagued Samford last year as well - consistency, depth, and closing out games late.

JSUSoutherner
August 9th, 2019, 09:03 AM
I think Mercer will be in a boat similar to Western Carolina in that they have the talent to compete with any team, but might rely too much on a small handful of players carrying them. I think that is a bit what plagued Samford last year as well - consistency, depth, and closing out games late.

You know, for the first two or three seasons I was on AGS, I was actually really high on Mercer.

But their ability to be a perennial dissapointment has been off-putting.

Reign of Terrier
August 9th, 2019, 09:38 AM
It matters to me & it mattered enough to you to make the original comment. So, I’m asking you to clarify your statement of ‘fact’ regarding Mercer “the last 2 seasons,” which clearly covers their 2017 game with Wofford.

So...was it a “bad Mercer Offense” or a “bad Mercer Defense” that kept Wofford looking at the Bears’ hindquarters for 56 minutes & 26 seconds of the 2017 Wofford @ Mercer game, before the YardYappers squeaked out a 1 point win over an obviously “bad” Mercer Team?

Bad Mercer offense. Our offense was kind of garbage in 2017 and Mercer benefited from having 2 good kick returns that put them in position to put 10 points on the board.

wcugrad95
August 9th, 2019, 09:50 AM

Kind of interesting that this is the first game of the season - almost like the SoCon wanted to find out which of these teams that on paper seem very similar can position themselves for a run to the top part of the league while the other will be behind the 8-ball out of the gate. Of course that has been true for other teams the past several years since the league embraced these first and second week conference tilts.

If either (or both) of these teams can find a way to sustain the offensive explosiveness they showed last year and find a way to cut the points allowed by say 10 points, either could be a very dangerous squad. I know that is far from rocket science, but I genuinely think both teams ***could*** score more this year. Of course that has seemed to be a running storyline at WCU for several seasons. Lots of skill players on both sides for the Cats, but how the lines play will ultimately determine if Western can get back towards another 7+ win season or battle through another 3-win campaign.

PaladinFan
August 9th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Kind of interesting that this is the first game of the season - almost like the SoCon wanted to find out which of these teams that on paper seem very similar can position themselves for a run to the top part of the league while the other will be behind the 8-ball out of the gate. Of course that has been true for other teams the past several years since the league embraced these first and second week conference tilts.

If either (or both) of these teams can find a way to sustain the offensive explosiveness they showed last year and find a way to cut the points allowed by say 10 points, either could be a very dangerous squad. I know that is far from rocket science, but I genuinely think both teams ***could*** score more this year. Of course that has seemed to be a running storyline at WCU for several seasons. Lots of skill players on both sides for the Cats, but how the lines play will ultimately determine if Western can get back towards another 7+ win season or battle through another 3-win campaign.

The SoCon has to fill out their non-conference (read: money game) schedule first. Sometime the only place to put a game is week 1.

My image of the WCU/Mercer game is one where both defenses bring a lot of pressure and take chances in forcing turnovers. I would wager that forcing an extra possession or two will be big in a game with a lot of scoring.

SCPALADIN
August 9th, 2019, 11:41 AM
So you think both defenses are going to be on the light side again this season?

This will be John Wiley's third season as the defensive coordinator for the Cats, so I'm hoping to see substantial improvement in Western's defense this season. However this game does sport two high octane offenses, so this is a tough opener for the Cat's defense.

More that both offenses will be difficult to stop, TBH.

gofurman
August 9th, 2019, 08:45 PM
More that both offenses will be difficult to stop, TBH.

I suspect most SoCOn games may be higher scoring - not a good thing necessarily.. just a guess:

Wofford returns all 5 OL ! Graduated best DL Miles Brown
Furman returns all 5 OL! Graduated best DL Jaylan Reid . granted we return 7+ D starters but still
Chatt returns some OL.. graduated two best DL in Mack and ? (forgot his name)
Mercer returns QBs to health.. did graduate WRs but also graduated a lot of DE and OLB
Citadel returns an offense that was clicking w new QB at end of year

ETSU may be the outlier - Nasir Player, 3 great DBs, but even they return 4 of 5 OL.
Samford may fall in with ETSU here.. graduated great DL Gooden but also lost QB and McKnight

point is I see more SoCon teams returning more on O than D when I look conference wide

SU DOG
August 10th, 2019, 10:19 AM
I'm much more concerned about our offense than our defense. Unproven QB, of course, is issue #1. While Gooden is a huge loss, we do have very good returning DEs, and our secondary should far far better. Last year, by mid-season, we were playing a pieced together group with little depth. From what I've seen of fall camp, I really like the looks of our defense.

gofurman
August 10th, 2019, 02:25 PM
I'm much more concerned about our offense than our defense. Unproven QB, of course, is issue #1. While Gooden is a huge loss, we do have very good returning DEs, and our secondary should far far better. Last year, by mid-season, we were playing a pieced together group with little depth. From what I've seen of fall camp, I really like the looks of our defense.

I agree Samford and ETSU may be the teams w more D than O. Most SoCon (at least those I listed off hand) may improve more on O than D.

maninthehighcastle
August 13th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Saturday, Aug 24, 2019

Thursday, Aug. 29

Saturday, Aug. 31
ETSU at App State
#9 Wofford at SC State
VMI at Marshall
Samford at Tenn Tech

Smitty
August 13th, 2019, 12:20 PM
I agree Samford and ETSU may be the teams w more D than O. Most SoCon (at least those I listed off hand) may improve more on O than D.

I wouldn't mind a decrease in offense if that meant the defense improved. Of course anything would be better than the stick figures that were defending last year...

Mocs123
August 13th, 2019, 01:24 PM
I suspect most SoCOn games may be higher scoring - not a good thing necessarily.. just a guess:

Wofford returns all 5 OL ! Graduated best DL Miles Brown
Furman returns all 5 OL! Graduated best DL Jaylan Reid . granted we return 7+ D starters but still
Chatt returns some OL.. graduated two best DL in Mack and ? (forgot his name)
Mercer returns QBs to health.. did graduate WRs but also graduated a lot of DE and OLB
Citadel returns an offense that was clicking w new QB at end of year

ETSU may be the outlier - Nasir Player, 3 great DBs, but even they return 4 of 5 OL.
Samford may fall in with ETSU here.. graduated great DL Gooden but also lost QB and McKnight

point is I see more SoCon teams returning more on O than D when I look conference wide

Correction - Chattanooga returns all 5 OL. The other DL that graduated was Mahaffey

Mocs123
August 13th, 2019, 01:33 PM
This would be a big game for Samford to win. Big for the SoCon too.

Fitness may also come into play. A 3:00 kick on Aug. 24 in Montgomery is likely going to be brutally hot.

It would be a HUGE win for both Samford and the SoCon. I will be pulling for Samford (barf).

Mocs123
August 13th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Saturday, Aug 24, 2019

Samford at Youngstown State - Hope I'm wrong

Thursday, Aug. 29

Saturday, Aug. 31

#11 Towson at The Citadel - Upset of the Week
ETSU at App State
#9 Wofford at SC State
VMI at Marshall
Samford at Tenn Tech

Week 1 Power Ranking

1. Wofford (#9)
2. Furman (#19)
3. ETSU
4. Chattanooga
5. Mercer
6. The Citadel
7. Samford
8. Western Carolina
9. VMI

I reserve the right to make changes if injuries, etc happen during camp.

gofurman
August 13th, 2019, 09:39 PM
Saturday, Aug 24, 2019

Thursday, Aug. 29

Saturday, Aug. 31
ETSU at App State
#9 Wofford at SC State
VMI at Marshall
Samford at Tenn Tech

Love to see SoCon do well but ETSU over App State ?? App has risen to top of Sun Belt

walliver
August 14th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Sammy and Youngstown - Will the next Samford stun QB be revealed? Maybe. If this game was later in the year, I'd pick the bulldogs, but a brand new QB may struggle and the rapists escape with a narrow win
EIU at Chatty - We'll see how the Mocs do as time goes by, but should prevail against an OVC foe
Chuck South at Furman - The Paladins have developed a habit of very slow starts, but it will take a while to turn CSU around, and horsie people win by 14
Towson at the Citadel - The Bellhops feel snubbed being picked 7th in the SoCon and pull off an opening weekend upset.
ETSU at App State - Appy has a new coach, but is still one of the better G5 teams, and ETSU doesn't have the horsepower for this. Later in the year, there would be a chance for a letdown game. but a new Appy coach looking for his first head coaching win will be prepared.
Mercer at Western Carolina - One of those conference games that should never be scheduled for opening week. Last year's game had a basketball score. This one may well go that way also. Bears win again.
Wofford at South Carolina State - this one isn't close on paper, but will be close on the field. T-Dogs pull it out in the fourth
VMI at Marshall - Second SoCon game against a G5. The Keydets play hard, but the toothless wonders pull away for a 3-4 TD win.
Samford at Tennessee Tech - Sammy should be a big favorite, but I am not going to call this one until after their first game.

SU DOG
August 15th, 2019, 11:04 AM
I realize that practice and actual game performances are two very different things, but IF Samford QB Liam Welch can duplicate his acumen in practice to actual game conditions - WHOA! In what time I have seen, he has just been spectacular with both short and long passes. And yeah, IF is a big word I know - just sayin...….

JSUSoutherner
August 15th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Correction - Chattanooga returns all 5 OL. The other DL that graduated was Mahaffey

How many of them are from the OL we traumatized in 2017?

PaladinFan
August 15th, 2019, 01:48 PM

Did we almost make it a full page of SoCon discussion without talking about Jacksonville State?

FUBeAR
August 15th, 2019, 05:54 PM
So...I have a question (or 2).

1) After Furman stomps a mud hole in ChuckSouth & in FBS GaSt, then goes up to Blacksburg & steals a win from the FBS P5 VaTech Hokies; undefeated at 3-0, with 2 back-to-back FBS wins, they would have to be ranked #1 in the country, right?

2) Then...what would Furman AND Mercer be ranked the following week...if the Bears go up to Travelers Rest & sneak back to Maconga with a 1-point win in 8 OT’s or so, assuming they are 3-0 without having tripped over WCU or APSU in earlier games...and FU is now 3-1 (still with 2 FBS wins)?

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 15th, 2019, 10:52 PM
I'll take Samford over Youngstown. I wouldn't count on QB being a weak point for a Chris Hatcher team, though there could be any number of other weak points. I'm also curious to see if Hatcher's son Ty is going to be in the running to start. QBs who are the coach's sons always play well above their innate arm and leg talent (think Jacob Huesman, Taylor Lamb, and MTSU's Brent Stockstill). Ty basically grew up with a dad who could coach QBs at the Power 5 level.

I'll take El Cid over Towson. I think the option will be a problem for the Tigers.

Also, people might say I'm nuts for this, but don't be surprised if ETSU makes it a game with App State. I mean, if Scott Satterfield were still at App I think they'd beat ETSU easily but their new coach has apparently been rapidly installing his much more pass-oriented offense rather than trying to ease the transition. The problem is (believe it or not) App's receiver talent is just not close to what it was in their last 5-7 years in the SoCon, and their only real weapon at receiver is apparently going to be suspended for the first game. Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole is a great way for a first-year head coach to turn a good team into a not-nearly-as-good team.

JSUSoutherner
August 16th, 2019, 01:05 AM
Did we almost make it a full page of SoCon discussion without talking about Jacksonville State?

You brought us up, not me.

I was asking about UTC linemen.

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2019, 01:16 AM
You brought us up, not me.

I was asking about UTC linemen.

So, I guess by the “we” in that sentence you were referring to you and a couple of other of your flautists buddies traumatizing UTC’s OLinemen when y’all happened to run into them as your party came out of Alan Golds Discotheque in 2017?

JSUSoutherner
August 16th, 2019, 01:39 AM
So, I guess by the “we” in that sentence you were referring to you and a couple of other of your flautists buddies traumatizing UTC’s OLinemen when y’all happened to run into them as your party came out of Alan Golds Discotheque in 2017?

No, we as in JSU.

Again, I was asking about the UTC linemen. I was only specifying which linemen I was asking about.

I'm sorry if that upsets you or something.

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2019, 03:44 AM
No, we as in JSU.

Again, I was asking about the UTC linemen. I was only specifying which linemen I was asking about.

I'm sorry if that upsets you or something.LOL - nothing upsets FUBeAR except Furman or Mercer not winnin’ ‘em all.

Happy to see you admit making a false statement & accusation (“You brought us up, not me.”) responding to my brother, PaladinFan’s commentary (“Did we almost make it a full page of SoCon discussion without talking about Jacksonville State?”)

JSUSoutherner
August 16th, 2019, 05:19 AM
LOL - nothing upsets FUBeAR except Furman or Mercer not winnin’ ‘em all.

Happy to see you admit making a false statement & accusation (“You brought us up, not me.”) responding to my brother, PaladinFan’s commentary (“Did we almost make it a full page of SoCon discussion without talking about Jacksonville State?”)

You must be upset a lot then.

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2019, 06:40 AM
You must be upset a lot then.

Nobody:

JSUSoutherner: Remember when we beat UTC 3 years ago?

JSUSoutherner
August 16th, 2019, 06:41 AM
Nobody:

JSUSoutherner: Remember when we beat UTC 3 years ago?

All this hooplah and still nobody has answered my question about UTC's linemen.

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2019, 07:53 AM
All this hooplah and still nobody has answered my question about UTC's linemen.
GIYF

gofurman
August 16th, 2019, 09:04 AM
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=utc+football+2017+roster&p=1 (https://lmgtfy.com/?q=utc+football+2017+roster&p=1)

for our JSU friend, try that link... xdrunkyx

just kidding w you.. but that is a hilarious passive aggressive site. also , EVERYONE killed UTC in 2017. that isn't very indicative of a good SoCon team. JSU beat UTC 27-13.. poor old Furman beat em 41-17 that same year. Western Carolina beat that UTC team 45-7. Maybe JSU isn't as good as I thought ? .. JK w ya.

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2019, 09:42 AM
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=utc+football+2017+roster&p=1 (https://lmgtfy.com/?q=utc+football+2017+roster&p=1)

for our JSU friend, try that link... xdrunkyx

just kidding w you.. but that is a hilarious passive aggressive site. also , EVERYONE killed UTC in 2017. that isn't very indicative of a good SoCon team. JSU beat UTC 27-13.. poor old Furman beat em 41-17 that same year. Western Carolina beat that UTC team 45-7. Maybe JSU isn't as good as I thought ? .. JK w ya.

Why are you “JK”??? A SoCon Team that darn near lost to both SoCon doormats, came up an inch shy from blowing JaxSt out of the playoffs in the 1st round last year before a Team that was absolutely obliterated by Yale DID blow them out in Round 2

Scrappy94
August 16th, 2019, 11:17 AM
1. Wofford
2. Furman
3. Chattanooga
4. Mercer
5. Samford
6. The Citadel
7. ETSU
8. Western Carolina
9. VMI

Saturday, Aug 24, 2019

Thursday, Aug. 29

Saturday, Aug. 31
Towson at The Citadel
ETSU at App State
Wofford at SC State
VMI at Marshall
Samford at Tenn Tech

JSUSoutherner
August 16th, 2019, 02:08 PM
Why are you “JK”??? A SoCon Team that darn near lost to both SoCon doormats, came up an inch shy from blowing JaxSt out of the playoffs in the 1st round last year before a Team that was absolutely obliterated by Yale DID blow them out in Round 2

You and I remember the ETSU vs JSU game very differently.

Also that ETSU team beat Mercer and Furman. Sooo.

gofurman
August 16th, 2019, 04:04 PM
You and I remember the ETSU vs JSU game very differently.

Also that ETSU team beat Mercer and Furman. Sooo.

look man, ETSU was not that good. they were lucky - they lost to Wofford by 13 and Samford by 11... both much easier wins than JSU over ETSU.

FACTS - I am pretty sure Furman and Wofford had a much greater win margin over the SoCon year - which is worth WAY MORE than whether someone beats a given singular ETSU team or not. Law of averages. Any one team can be a matchup problem but how did you do ALL YEAR? It's hard to recall another SoCon champ who scraped by with a NEGATIVE point total !!! - Here are the facts: ETSU won their SOCON games by 3 / 2 / 3 / 3 // 2 / and 3.. they lost the two SOCON Losses by 13 and 11. So in the SOCON they had a NEGATIVE point average... IE, add up all those close wins and they were +16. Take the two losses and you get -24. In SOCON they were a NEGATIVE TEAM ! They scored 8 points less in conference games over the entirety of the season ... and yet finished 6-2. wow, that's not something you see often. POINT IS - that was an anomaly. ***IF they win the conference or make playoffs this year then that's something... but let's not get all crazy over one year, and one which is a definite math anomaly. Though I do think they have a good coach now... but even there let's give it a few years.

Hell, Furman led TWENTY SEVEN to SIX !! and recall, to be fair, we were playing AT ETSU. you had them at JSU. As you know from Vegas that's a 7 point swing in home vs away. Guess what, we lost by TWO. Hmmm

Look, we choked and ETSU came back.. we kneeled a kickoff on the 2 yard line and got a safety etc... (that new rule etc) ... we choked, we did. That said it was the first game w our starting QB - he was hurt the prior games and watching from the sideline. First game for our QB, on the road etc.

Let's see how it goes this year when , like for JSU, ETSU has to come to Furman

Heck, Wofford RUSHED FOR 300 yards on ETSU absolutely mauling them.

No smack, but it would be interesting to see JSU play more even teams like Furman and Wofford week in and week out than always UTC throughout a full SoCon schedule.. one let up and you have a loss. Would be interesting and fun.

SUPharmacist
August 17th, 2019, 12:01 AM
YSU
Chattanooga
Furman
Citadel
App State
Mercer
Wofford
Marshall
Samford

JSUSoutherner
August 17th, 2019, 02:28 AM
look man, ETSU was not that good. they were lucky - they lost to Wofford by 13 and Samford by 11... both much easier wins than JSU over ETSU.

FACTS - I am pretty sure Furman and Wofford had a much greater win margin over the SoCon year - which is worth WAY MORE than whether someone beats a given singular ETSU team or not. Law of averages. Any one team can be a matchup problem but how did you do ALL YEAR? It's hard to recall another SoCon champ who scraped by with a NEGATIVE point total !!! - Here are the facts: ETSU won their SOCON games by 3 / 2 / 3 / 3 // 2 / and 3.. they lost the two SOCON Losses by 13 and 11. So in the SOCON they had a NEGATIVE point average... IE, add up all those close wins and they were +16. Take the two losses and you get -24. In SOCON they were a NEGATIVE TEAM ! They scored 8 points less in conference games over the entirety of the season ... and yet finished 6-2. wow, that's not something you see often. POINT IS - that was an anomaly. ***IF they win the conference or make playoffs this year then that's something... but let's not get all crazy over one year, and one which is a definite math anomaly. Though I do think they have a good coach now... but even there let's give it a few years.

Hell, Furman led TWENTY SEVEN to SIX !! and recall, to be fair, we were playing AT ETSU. you had them at JSU. As you know from Vegas that's a 7 point swing in home vs away. Guess what, we lost by TWO. Hmmm

Look, we choked and ETSU came back.. we kneeled a kickoff on the 2 yard line and got a safety etc... (that new rule etc) ... we choked, we did. That said it was the first game w our starting QB - he was hurt the prior games and watching from the sideline. First game for our QB, on the road etc.

Let's see how it goes this year when , like for JSU, ETSU has to come to Furman

Heck, Wofford RUSHED FOR 300 yards on ETSU absolutely mauling them.

No smack, but it would be interesting to see JSU play more even teams like Furman and Wofford week in and week out than always UTC throughout a full SoCon schedule.. one let up and you have a loss. Would be interesting and fun. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190817/1d8b434e3034ba0ea87ee165b1e49cf7.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2019, 06:36 AM
YSU
Chattanooga
Furman
Citadel
AppState
Mercer
Wofford
Marshall
SamfordDavidson?

SUPharmacist
August 17th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Davidson?

I am staring at my response and completely missing the Davidson question. Did I do something stupid (outside of my pics), or was this supposed to be quoting someone else?

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2019, 08:15 AM
I am staring at my response and completely missing the Davidson question. Did I do something stupid (outside of my pics), or was this supposed to be quoting someone else?
I see - picks...thought it was your SoCon power rankings & you were realigning the SoCon...again.

SUPharmacist
August 17th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Gotcha, I just did picks. No good rationale for the picks and a power ranking from me would have been even worse. Looking back I realize from the original post I should have done a Power Ranking, but my skimming brain only took the thread title and games into consideration (my bad). Mainly I just wanted my picks down so after the games I can see how crazy I was and it is a good reminder for me to look into games outside of the MVFC. Thinking I will try and stay more engaged in all of FCS this year, and if I can sustain that I may join the poll next year (I am always reluctant about whether I would put in the required effort, and do not want to waste the time of all who work on it).

SU DOG
August 17th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Furman Preview:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/2019-ncaa-division-i-college-football-team-previews-furman-paladins/

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Furman Preview:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/2019-ncaa-division-i-college-football-team-previews-furman-paladins/

My brain turns off when I hear Furman referred to as “an option offense.”

The Cats
August 17th, 2019, 05:14 PM

Most of the rest of the SoCon feel the same way.

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2019, 05:59 PM
I don’t know why. Opposing Defenses have the option to get beat by the run or the pass. Seems like a pretty straightforward option to me.

jayhawkdaddy
August 18th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Saturday, Aug 24, 2019

Youngstown State

Thursday, Aug. 29

UT-Chattanooga

Saturday, Aug. 31

Furman
Towson
Appalachian State
Mercer
Wofford
Marshall
Samford

Week 1 Power Ranking

1. Wofford (#9)
2. Furman (#19)
3. ETSU
4. Mercer
5. Chattanooga
6. Samford
7. The Citadel
8. Western Carolina
9. VMI

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Most of the rest of the SoCon feel the same way.

It wouldn't surprise me if WCU runs more option than Furman does.

Mocs123
August 19th, 2019, 08:14 AM

OK, I'll reply to this trolling comment. First off though, I will say that everyone traumatized our OL in 2017. Heck WCU knocked out two QB's for the season in one game! Our offense was the worst I have ever seen in D1 and the OLine was the weak part of our offense.

Short version : One

Long version:

In 2017 against JSU it looks like we started:

RT: Josh Cardiello (graduated Spring 2017)
RG: Taylor Helton (listed as backup LG in 2018)
C: Brian Marshall (listed as backup RG in 2018)
LG: Branden Parker (not on 2018 team)
LT: Malcolm White (starter at LT in 2018)

In 2018 we started

RT: Harrison Moon
RG: Chris Barnes
C: Noah Ramsey
LG: Cole Strange
LT: Malcolm White

We have a new HC and OL Coach in 2019 and there is no depth chart listed for the summer, so I can't say who will start in 2019, but all of our starting 2018 linemen return. The O-Line was much improved in 2018, but was still not the strength of the team it was under Huesman. Rusty Wright brought back Chris Malone to coach the line - he was our O-Line coach from 2013-16 and most Moc fans feel that was a key move as Wright was assembling his staff.

As much crap as you like to give Furman, they are a much improved team the past few years, and I credit that solely to coach Clay Hendrix bringing back physical football to Furman. I'm hopeful that Rusty and Malone can do the same with the Mocs, and I think most Moc and SoCon fans would agree, that particularly on the offensive side of the ball, the Mocs were soft under Arth. Arth seemed like a nice enough guy, but I feel like I need to send the Akron AD a Christmas present this year.

Mocs123
August 19th, 2019, 08:18 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if WCU runs more option than Furman does.

WCU's game plan is "give the ball to Tyrie and let him do his thing". They will always be dangerous with him under center, but they have failed to capitalize on a tremendous talent. It will be interesting to see how they look post Tyire in in 2020.

gofurman
August 19th, 2019, 09:31 AM
OK, I'll reply to this trolling comment. First off though, I will say that everyone traumatized our OL in 2017. Heck WCU knocked out two QB's for the season in one game! Our offense was the worst I have ever seen in D1 and the OLine was the weak part of our offense.

Long version:

In 2018 we started

We have a new HC and OL Coach in 2019 and there is no depth chart listed for the summer, so I can't say who will start in 2019, but all of our starting 2018 linemen return. The O-Line was much improved in 2018, but was still not the strength of the team it was under Huesman. Rusty Wright brought back Chris Malone to coach the line - he was our O-Line coach from 2013-16 and most Moc fans feel that was a key move as Wright was assembling his staff.

As much crap as you like to give Furman, they are a much improved team the past few years, and I credit that solely to coach Clay Hendrix bringing back physical football to Furman. I'm hopeful that Rusty and Malone can do the same with the Mocs, and I think most Moc and SoCon fans would agree, that particularly on the offensive side of the ball, the Mocs were soft under Arth. Arth seemed like a nice enough guy, but I feel like I need to send the Akron AD a Christmas present this year.

Funny he gives Furman crap considering since the year 2000 (!) JSU has NEVER EVER beaten Furman. NOT ONCE. Sure, we only played them twice, in 04 and 05.. but that's all the data we have.

We beat the SHIZNIT out of them in '04. FORTY NINE TO SEVEN. My Lord..
https://static.jsugamecocksports.com/custompages/Stats/Football/2004/TEAMSTAT.HTM

And then we broke their little hearts in '05 at THEIR STADIUM on the last play in '05.. 37 to 35
https://static.jsugamecocksports.com/custompages/Stats/Football/2005/TEAMSTAT.HTM

How anyone can give crap to ANY team they can't beat is beyond me.

If it were me I would stay quiet and wait until I played that team again. JSU is great - they just need to yap at ETSU and not Furman

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2019, 09:33 AM
Funny he gives Furman crap considering since the year 2000 (!) JSU has NEVER EVER beaten Furman. NOT ONCE. Sure, we only played them twice, in 04 and 05.. but that's all the data we have.

https://static.jsugamecocksports.com/custompages/Stats/Football/2004/TEAMSTAT.HTM

And then we broke their little hearts in '05 at THEIR STADIUM on the last play in '05.. 37 to 35
https://static.jsugamecocksports.com/custompages/Stats/Football/2005/TEAMSTAT.HTM

If it were me I would stay quiet and wait until I played that team again. JSU is great - they just need to yap at ETSU and not Furman

15 years ago.

Yawn.

Why don't you try beating ETSU before you yap at us big boys?

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2019, 09:37 AM

Long version:

In 2018 we started

Thank you for actually answering my question. Hopefully your new coaching staff can get it together. Arth was garbage. The difference between the 2015 UTC teams and the 2017 team was absolutely day and night. Would love to see you guys win the SoCon again. Our game should be a good litmus test for both teams.

Also I just like triggering Furman fans because they are easy. They are like a Chihuahua that thinks it's a big dog.

Mocs123
August 19th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Certainly I hope Wright can turn it around too. Arth was a mistake hire. Our AD at the time (who didn't last six months after the Arth hire) had hired a couple of young BB coaches that were quite sucssessful and I think he thought we was a master at finding diamonds in the rough and reached a little too far. Moc fans thought we would hire Chadwell from CSU, who though apparantly had some baggage, was sucessful in making CSU a top 10 team, and the Arth hire really came out of left field. He had obviously been sucssessful in D3, but didn't seam to ever be able to make the jump to FCS. We had some issues that were beyond his control in 2017 (top offensive player out, top defensive player out, etc) and along with losing a lot from the '16 team, we probably didn't have playoff level talent that year, but the product we put on the field was completly sub standard. It was if Rodney Allison was back roaming the sidelines.

Rusty Wright wasn't a flashy hire, but he is a Chattanooga guy who played here and wants to be in Chattanooga. He's never been a HC, but I thought he put together a really good staff, so I'm excited about the season. I get the feel that this is going to be a blue collar type team, and I'm not sure we'll win the SoCon this year, but I think a playoff spot is not out of the question. A lot of it will depend on the O-Line and how much they improve from last year.

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Certainly I hope Wright can turn it around too. Arth was a mistake hire. Our AD at the time (who didn't last six months after the Arth hire) had hired a couple of young BB coaches that were quite sucssessful and I think he thought we was a master at finding diamonds in the rough and reached a little too far. Moc fans thought we would hire Chadwell from CSU, who though apparantly had some baggage, was sucessful in making CSU a top 10 team, and the Arth hire really came out of left field. He had obviously been sucssessful in D3, but didn't seam to ever be able to make the jump to FCS. We had some issues that were beyond his control in 2017 (top offensive player out, top defensive player out, etc) and along with losing a lot from the '16 team, we probably didn't have playoff level talent that year, but the product we put on the field was completly sub standard. It was if Rodney Allison was back roaming the sidelines.

Rusty Wright wasn't a flashy hire, but he is a Chattanooga guy who played here and wants to be in Chattanooga. He's never been a HC, but I thought he put together a really good staff, so I'm excited about the season. I get the feel that this is going to be a blue collar type team, and I'm not sure we'll win the SoCon this year, but I think a playoff spot is not out of the question. A lot of it will depend on the O-Line and how much they improve from last year.

UTC doesn't need flashy. They aren't like APSU where they needed someone interesting to defibrillate a program. They just need someone who knows a quarterback is supposed to stay off his back and that the opposing team isn't supposed to do what's in my signature. I'm actually kind of curious about the EIU game as well. Both programs are in similar spots. They both had success with great coaches who moved on, then had garbage, and now both have new hires. Granted it's been a while since Dino Babers was at EIU but I could see the game being more interesting than some think if their new coach is any good.

Mocs123
August 19th, 2019, 10:27 AM
You may be right, but I certainly hope the EIU game isn't that interesting. We run the gauntalet this year schedule wise.

BTW: I hope we win just so you will take that thing down.

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2019, 10:50 AM
You may be right, but I certainly hope the EIU game isn't that interesting. We run the gauntalet this year schedule wise.

BTW: I hope we win just so you will take that thing down.
I hope if the EIU game is competitive it's because EIU is good and not because you guys are bad. Honestly EIU being better would help us both, provided we both win of course.

I may take it down even if you lose.

Because if the trend continues I'll get a better one.

Remember this from 2015? :D
This was a good one too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CVfqDRvVEAAVtbB.mp4

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2019, 12:16 PM

Three times, actually.

Furman beat JSU in '04 (playoffs), '05 (in Jacksonville), and '06 (in Greenville).

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Three times, actually.

Furman beat JSU in '04 (playoffs), '05 (in Jacksonville), and '06 (in Greenville).

xthumbsupx

And we have a winning record against NDSU.

Mocs123
August 19th, 2019, 12:44 PM
I hope if the EIU game is competitive it's because EIU is good and not because you guys are bad. Honestly EIU being better would help us both, provided we both win of course.

I may take it down even if you lose.

Because if the trend continues I'll get a better one.

Remember this from 2015? :D
This was a good one too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CVfqDRvVEAAVtbB.mp4

Yes, that one was even more painful. That was the playoff loss in OT, am I correct? I was at the game (I think I've been at all the UTC-JSU games since 2005) and it was a great game, but like so many of the series, the last few seconds were heartbreaking. I remember the 2006?? game in Chattanooga where we came back to tie the game with :07 left on the clock with a FG. There was a defensive (JSU) flag on the FG, and Rodney Allison took 3 points off the board to try and win it in regulation. Lopez (our QB) threw short of the end zone and the wideout was tackled on the 2 yard line as time expired.

That was around the time that UTC was considering a move to the OVC and Rodney Allison made the comment (something like) "I didn't come to Chattanooga to beat Jacksonville State" concerning the potential move (at the time App, GSU, and Furman were the SoCon powers) which became bulletin board material. Of course it didn't seem like Rodney Allison came to Chattanooga to beat anyone to me.

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2019, 12:51 PM
Yes, that one was even more painful. That was the playoff loss in OT, am I correct? I was at the game (I think I've been at all the UTC-JSU games since 2005) and it was a great game, but like so many of the series, the last few seconds were heartbreaking. I remember the 2006?? game in Chattanooga where we came back to tie the game with :07 left on the clock with a FG. There was a defensive (JSU) flag on the FG, and Rodney Allison took 3 points off the board to try and win it in regulation. Lopez (our QB) threw short of the end zone and the wideout was tackled on the 2 yard line as time expired.

That was around the time that UTC was considering a move to the OVC and Rodney Allison made the comment (something like) "I didn't come to Chattanooga to beat Jacksonville State" concerning the potential move (at the time App, GSU, and Furman were the SoCon powers) which became bulletin board material. Of course it didn't seem like Rodney Allison came to Chattanooga to beat anyone to me.

Yessir. That was the game ender in OT.

You coming down for the game this season?

Mocs123
August 19th, 2019, 12:53 PM
I'm planning on it. My daughter has a softball tournament that Saturday in Cleaveland so I'm sure neither her nor my wife will go, but I'm hoping my son and dad will come with me.

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2019, 12:59 PM
I'm planning on it. My daughter has a softball tournament that Saturday in Cleaveland so I'm sure neither her nor my wife will go, but I'm hoping my son and dad will come with me.

Well if you do make it down we can meet up during the game and say hi as long as you guys don't throw beer on me. :D

SU DOG
August 19th, 2019, 01:59 PM
The last time we played there, during the Crowe era, it wasn't the visitors that were throwing things. Ask our tiny band, frat kids, and even our President.

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2019, 02:25 PM
The last time we played there, during the Crowe era, it wasn't the visitors that were throwing things. Ask our tiny band, frat kids, and even our President.

Crowe was trash.

Can't say I've seen any incidents of things being thrown by JSU fans since I've been here. Throwing things at opposing fans is trash.

wcugrad95
August 19th, 2019, 02:43 PM
WCU's game plan is "give the ball to Tyrie and let him do his thing". They will always be dangerous with him under center, but they have failed to capitalize on a tremendous talent. It will be interesting to see how they look post Tyire in in 2020.

Troy Mitchell was a record-setting QB immediately before Tyrie. I am not trying to say that Adams isn't a tremendous talent, and that he will be near impossible to replace, or that anything short of surprising a bunch of people and winning 7+ games and somehow miraculously making the playoffs won't be a waste of Tyrie's incredible numbers. But some of the same kind of questions were there when Troy graduated 4 years ago. Neither guy has taken WCU to the playoffs (yet). As for the post-Adams era, Will Jones is a very talented backup QB who will be in his 4th year in the program as a RS Junior next year. Will is much more a pro-style QB (can run the ball, but is not going to be mistaken for Tyrie or even Troy), and there will be some talented skill guys returning, too (Cosenke, Spencer, Patten, several WRs who are going to get a bunch of playing time this year). We also signed the top-rated RB in the SoCon (Syheam McQueen as the #4 overall recruit in the league) and Malik Richardson as the longer-term heir-apparent to Troy Mitchell and Tyrie Adams (Richardson was the #24 overall recruit in the SoCon but was the top-rated QB if I am looking at the list correctly and he is a talented athlete who was an ECU decommit).

All that being said, we probably will have a pretty good offense this year if nothing else because of Tyrie, and my bet with a bunch of those guys and the scheme we will have a pretty good offense post-Tyrie. Defense has clearly been the problem (and too many negative special teams play), so that is where WCU has to get better. Or we will continue to win a bunch of stats and lose a bunch of games.

Mocs123
August 19th, 2019, 02:49 PM
I won't throw a beer, LOL.

I do remember some shinaigins where a JSU wideout's (his name escapes me) family? was sitting in the visitor section surrounded by UTC fans (students mostly in this case). Said JSU wideout came over and said some less than sportsmanlike things after the game (I was in that section higher up) which I'm sure the UTC students probably said/did some less then sportsmanlike things in return, and the JSU Wideout came into the stands.

I think that same year (2015?), JSU was complaining about the trash left in the locker room by UTC. I think the year before Grass didn't come shake hands with Huesman after the game that caused some controversy. Up until 2017, a year in which JSU was clearly the better team, the JSU/UTC series always went down to the wire in regulation or
to OT (sometimes both). I think there is a respect of each other, but the two teams/fans just don't like each other. It's a great rivalry. I wish we could create that with a SoCon school. Samford seems like the logical choice, but for whatever reason, we just haven't created that dislike of each other on either side. ETSU is another option, and I think ETSU has embraced us as a rival more then we have embraced them. Before they left the SoCon originally we had that type of rivalry with ETSU in BB, where every game would be down to the wire, with seemingly the SoCon championship on the line.

SU DOG
August 19th, 2019, 03:18 PM

I do remember some shinaigins where a JSU wideout's (his name escapes me) family? was sitting in the visitor section surrounded by UTC fans (students mostly in this case). Said JSU wideout came over and said some less than sportsmanlike things after the game (I was in that section higher up) which I'm sure the UTC students probably said/did some less then sportsmanlike things in return, and the JSU Wideout came into the stands.

I think that same year (2015?), JSU was complaining about the trash left in the locker room by UTC. I think the year before Grass didn't come shake hands with Huesman after the game that caused some controversy. Up until 2017, a year in which JSU was clearly the better team, the JSU/UTC series always went down to the wire in regulation or
to OT
(sometimes both). I think there is a respect of each other, but the two teams/fans just don't like each other. It's a great rivalry. I wish we could create that with a SoCon school. Samford seems like the logical choice, but for whatever reason, we just haven't created that dislike of each other on either side. ETSU is another option, and I think ETSU has embraced us as a rival more then we have embraced them. Before they left the SoCon originally we had that type of rivalry with ETSU in BB, where every game would be down to the wire, with seemingly the SoCon championship on the line.

Wait a minute - I really and truly dislike UTC. Mainly because it doesn't matter how good we are or who is coaching the Mocs, we can never beat them. I heard one of our fans recently in discussing the upcoming season say, "We'd have a better chance against the G B Packers." LOL!

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2019, 03:18 PM

to OT (sometimes both). I think there is a respect of each other, but the two teams/fans just don't like each other. It's a great rivalry. I wish we could create that with a SoCon school. Samford seems like the logical choice, but for whatever reason, we just haven't created that dislike of each other on either side. ETSU is another option, and I think ETSU has embraced us as a rival more then we have embraced them. Before they left the SoCon originally we had that type of rivalry with ETSU in BB, where every game would be down to the wire, with seemingly the SoCon championship on the line.

Nah, it was the 2015 game. Grass ran to the endzone to congratulate Bender on the game winning pick and Huesman thought it was the worst thing ever, he saw Grass near the endzone and puffed and turned around. It's on the video from the game.

You won't get a rivalry from Samford like you have from us.

Because Samford doesn't have fans.

Mocs123
August 19th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Wait a minute - I really and truly dislike UTC. Mainly because it doesn't matter how good we are or who is coaching the Mocs, we can never beat them. I heard one of our fans recently in discussing the upcoming season say, "We'd have a better chance against the G B Packers." LOL!

I hope we can get our rivalry going.

And by the way, that's how we feel about JSU. We have snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory so many times. I think until the 2017 game the previous 5-6 games were decided by a single score, a few in OT.

I think it will be interesting to see how SU is post Hodges. Samford doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love from pre-season rankings.

JSUSoutherner
August 19th, 2019, 03:40 PM
I hope we can get our rivalry going.

And by the way, that's how we feel about JSU. We have snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory so many times. I think until the 2017 game the previous 5-6 games were decided by a single score, a few in OT.

I think it will be interesting to see how SU is post Hodges. Samford doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love from pre-season rankings.

You snatched defeat from the jaws of defeat.

Mocs123
August 19th, 2019, 03:42 PM
What are The Citadel's chances against Towson? I'm not sure who Towson has coming back, but I see they are ranked #12. The triple option has been hard to defend against though they did dispatch of the the Bulldogs rather easily last year.

Milktruck74
August 19th, 2019, 04:26 PM
What are The Citadel's chances against Towson? I'm not sure who Towson has coming back, but I see they are ranked #12. The triple option has been hard to defend against though they did dispatch of the the Bulldogs rather easily last year.

Citadel may not win, but I don't think Towson will win by more than a TD...and after facing the Bullpups, they will be quite bruised up for the next one. Those boys in light blue are physical, if nothing else.

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Troy Mitchell was a record-setting QB immediately before Tyrie. I am not trying to say that Adams isn't a tremendous talent, and that he will be near impossible to replace, or that anything short of surprising a bunch of people and winning 7+ games and somehow miraculously making the playoffs won't be a waste of Tyrie's incredible numbers. But some of the same kind of questions were there when Troy graduated 4 years ago. Neither guy has taken WCU to the playoffs (yet). As for the post-Adams era, Will Jones is a very talented backup QB who will be in his 4th year in the program as a RS Junior next year. Will is much more a pro-style QB (can run the ball, but is not going to be mistaken for Tyrie or even Troy), and there will be some talented skill guys returning, too (Cosenke, Spencer, Patten, several WRs who are going to get a bunch of playing time this year). We also signed the top-rated RB in the SoCon (Syheam McQueen as the #4 overall recruit in the league) and Malik Richardson as the longer-term heir-apparent to Troy Mitchell and Tyrie Adams (Richardson was the #24 overall recruit in the SoCon but was the top-rated QB if I am looking at the list correctly and he is a talented athlete who was an ECU decommit).

All that being said, we probably will have a pretty good offense this year if nothing else because of Tyrie, and my bet with a bunch of those guys and the scheme we will have a pretty good offense post-Tyrie. Defense has clearly been the problem (and too many negative special teams play), so that is where WCU has to get better. Or we will continue to win a bunch of stats and lose a bunch of games.

I found some quick highlights from the Furman/WCU game last year, and it really emphasizes my "WCU goes as far as Adams carries them" idea.

Watch the back to back plays at :35 http://www.catamountsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=12100&id=6291335

First one, Adams escapes an Adrian Hope sack (a feat in itself), keeps the play alive, and flicks it to his back.

The second one, Adams is going to the turf and still throws on a dime for a touchdown.

You'd be hard-pressed to find many QBs in the FCS period that would even attempt that second throw, much less complete it.

SU DOG
August 19th, 2019, 08:24 PM
Citadel may not win, but I don't think Towson will win by more than a TD...and after facing the Bullpups, they will be quite bruised up for the next one. Those boys in light blue are physical, if nothing else.

That is so true about their physicality. Samford has had to play Wofford/Cit in consecutive weeks several times including last year, and that is TOUGH.

FUBeAR
August 19th, 2019, 08:51 PM
I found some quick highlights from the Furman/WCU game last year, and it really emphasizes my "WCU goes as far as Adams carries them" idea.

Watch the back to back plays at :35 http://www.catamountsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=12100&id=6291335

First one, Adams escapes an Adrian Hope sack (a feat in itself), keeps the play alive, and flicks it to his back.

The second one, Adams is going to the turf and still throws on a dime for a touchdown.

You'd be hard-pressed to find many QBs in the FCS period that would even attempt that second throw, much less complete it.Yep...also, he made those plays AFTER he had been ROCKED multiple times by FU’s D throughout the game. FUBeAR witnessed those ROCKINGS from an up-close-and-personal vantage point (‘cameos appearances’ on both of those plays you called out)...sounded like car crashes when they were hitting him...that was with an almost-all-R-Sr. O-Line. Absolutely no one should question that young man’s heart & toughness...but FUBeAR wonders how he’ll fare this year with 5 Freshmen on the OL 2-Deep & possibly True Freshmen Starting at Center & 1 OG? - 2019 POSITION-BY-POSITION OUTLOOK: OFFENSIVE LINE - Grady Thomas represents lone returning starter from last year - http://www.catamountsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12100&ATCLID=211809589

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afjxD_ywvS4

BTW - I do like a lot of the drills they are doing in their video that goes with the article I posted above...seriously...that’s some good stuff.

gofurman
August 19th, 2019, 11:49 PM
15 years ago.

Yawn.

Why don't you try beating ETSU before you yap at us big boys?

Fair enough.. we are 4-1 against them last 5 years?? something like that.. maybe 3-1 last 4 years. Let's see how it goes this year. we can leave it at that.

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 12:04 AM
Fair enough.. we are 4-1 against them last 5 years?? something like that.. maybe 3-1 last 4 years. Let's see how it goes this year. we can leave it at that.

And we have won every SoCon game since Jack Crowe went and graced us with his lack of presence.

Let's see how it goes this year.

We can leave it at that.

gofurman
August 20th, 2019, 12:30 AM
And we have won every SoCon game since Jack Crowe went and graced us with his lack of presence.

Let's see how it goes this year.

We can leave it at that.

Cool, now quit heckling Furman. xdrunkyx. I do wish we would play sometime again. maybe it will happen in playoffs someday

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 12:43 AM
Cool, now quit heckling Furman. xdrunkyx. I do wish we would play sometime again. maybe it will happen in playoffs someday

Hey man, I asked a question about UTC and a Furman fan got triggered by my presence. Check your fans before you come at me.

The Cats
August 20th, 2019, 11:58 AM
BTW - I do like a lot of the drills they are doing in their video that goes with the article I posted above...seriously...that’s some good stuff.

Some nice words from fubear about ANYTHING connected with WCU or WCU football, that's a first - WOW.

Seriously, John Holt is a good OL line coach, even if he is from App State. I think he'll get the most from his guys and have them ready come game time. I'm not completely sold on the co-OC thing yet with him and Carlton. I hope they prove me wrong.

The Cats
August 22nd, 2019, 01:56 PM
bump

Milktruck74
August 22nd, 2019, 02:14 PM
Saturday, Aug 24, 2019
Samford - the 3pm heat melts the penguins

Thursday, Aug. 29

Chattanooga- Rusty shows what he is trying to do.

Saturday, Aug. 31
Furman
Towson
App State
Western Carolina
Wofford
Marshall
Samford

Week 1 Power Ranking
1. Wofford (#9)
2a. Furman (#19)
2b. ETSU
2c. Chattanooga
2d. The Citadel
2e. Samford
2f. WCU
2g. Mercer
9. VMI

ETSUfan1
August 23rd, 2019, 09:51 AM
Thank GOD it’s football season.

ETSUfan1
August 23rd, 2019, 09:52 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190817/1d8b434e3034ba0ea87ee165b1e49cf7.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 23rd, 2019, 03:46 PM
For the start of the season, I will group the teams in most likely to make the playoffs, sleepers and least likely to make the playoffs.
MOST LIKELY TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS
Wofford - Year 2 of Conklin era looks to be the same.
ETSU - Look for significant improvement this year.
Furman - Paladins appear to have a complete team.

SLEEPERS (one team could make the playoffs if they play their cards right)
Western Carolina - They have their beast QB in Tyrie Adams back.
Samford - Schedule seems favorable in the beginning.
The Citadel - Can they be a possible contender?

LEAST LIKELY TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS
Mercer - Is the fire still there?
Chattanooga - Does not strike me as a scary team.
VMI - Bottom of the pile until they prove otherwise.

For tomorrow's game:
Samford vs. Youngstown State - Bulldogs eat up the Penguins and spit them out.
Week 1 Games:
Eastern Illinois @ Chattanooga - Mocs hit the Panthers as hard as the morning express train.
Towson @ The Citadel - Tigers uppercut the Bulldogs.
ETSU @ App State - Mountaineers start the Drinkwitz era with a convincing win against their former conference rivals.
Mercer @ Western Carolina (Game of the Week) - Catamounts roar to victory.
VMI @ Marshall (Beatdown of the Week) - Herd thunder through their former conference rivals like nothing.
Samford @ Tennessee Tech - Bulldogs clip the Eagles' wings.

FUBeAR
August 23rd, 2019, 06:49 PM
MOST LIKELY TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS
ETSU

LEAST LIKELY TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS
Mercer - Is the fire still there?

WOW! - seems like you are ascribing an awful big gap of differentiation between ETSU & Mercer after a 3-point ETSU OT win at Home when 62% of ETSU’s points were scored after Mercer’s best Defensive Player & Team Captain was taken off the field on a BS Targeting call that was later overturned by the SoCon League Office and a 3-point ETSU win with Mercer playing a 3rd Team walk-on QB, who didn’t even start in HS & without their 1st Team All SoCon RB.

Doesn’t it?

EDIT: Point of order. I didn’t mean to say “1st Team All SoCon RB” above. What I meant to say was “Starting All SoCon RB.” Tee Mitchell was Mercer’s Starting RB in 2018 before being injured the week prior to the Mercer vs. ETSU game, but I don’t think he had previously been named 1st Team All SoCon. I believe he had been named only as a 2nd Team All SoCon RB. My apologies for any confusion.

Mocs123
August 23rd, 2019, 09:48 PM
WOW! - seems like you are ascribing an awful big gap of differentiation between ETSU & Mercer after a 3-point ETSU OT win at Home when 62% of ETSU’s points were scored after Mercer’s best Defensive Player & Team Captain was taken off the field on a BS Targeting call that was later overturned by the SoCon League Office and a 3-point ETSU win with Mercer playing a 3rd Team walk-on QB, who didn’t even start in HS & without their 1st Team All SoCon RB.

Doesn’t it?

It's OK I think Mr. BlackNGold still thinks he's chearing for App State. Do you honestly think that ETSU is going to "significantly improve" on a 8-4 season, a SoCon Championship, and a playoff appearance this year? I'd bet that they don't. Not taking anything away from ETSU last year as you are what your record says you are, and they won a lot of games, but they got all the bounces last year and didn't look dominant in any game. I think losing Henrick(sp) will hurt more than they realize. They were a lifeless football team on offense without him. They might have another really good year, but I'd bet they take a step back this year, even if it's a slight step back. If they did somehow manage to improve on last year, Sanders would be gone after the season headed to a G5 and $$$.

And as you can tell, he doesn't like Chattanooga or think much of our football team having us ranked right above VMI. They did beat Chattanooga last year, by 3, and we had a chance to win and Arth and our OC Roscotti ran the two minute offense like a middle school coach. They also lost to a bad 2017 Mocs team playing their 3rd sting QB.

I will say Billy Taylor's defense was legit though. I was extremely surprised since his defense couldn't stop anything when he was here at Chattanooga in the mid/late 00's. Super nice guy though. I really liked Billy when he was in Chattanooga and I'm happy to see him have success (just not against the Mocs)

JSUSoutherner
August 23rd, 2019, 10:01 PM
It's OK I think Mr. BlackNGold still thinks he's chearing for App State. Do you honestly think that ETSU is going to "significantly improve" on a 8-4 season, a SoCon Championship, and a playoff appearance this year? I'd bet that they don't. Not taking anything away from ETSU last year as you are what your record says you are, and they won a lot of games, but they got all the bounces last year and didn't look dominant in any game. I think losing Henrick(sp) will hurt more than they realize. They were a lifeless football team on offense without him. They might have another really good year, but I'd bet they take a step back this year, even if it's a slight step back. If they did somehow manage to improve on last year, Sanders would be gone after the season headed to a G5 and $$$.

And as you can tell, he doesn't like Chattanooga or think much of our football team having us ranked right above VMI. They did beat Chattanooga last year, by 3, and we had a chance to win and Arth and our OC Roscotti ran the two minute offense like a middle school coach. They also lost to a bad 2017 Mocs team playing their 3rd sting QB.

I will say Billy Taylor's defense was legit though. I was extremely surprised since his defense couldn't stop anything when he was here at Chattanooga in the mid/late 00's. Super nice guy though. I really liked Billy when he was in Chattanooga and I'm happy to see him have success (just not against the Mocs)

I remember a lot of people saying similar things about Kennesaw State once upon a time.

Mocs123
August 23rd, 2019, 10:15 PM
I remember a lot of people saying similar things about Kennesaw State once upon a time.

About them getting all the bounces? KSU is a good football team, and they may be over-rated somewhat as they have no competition in the Big South so when they start with a high ranking they keep it even though they don't play anybody. Have you seen their OOC this year? Of course they beat JSU twice in a row (which honestly shocked me both times) so what do I know.

Or if it's about their coach leaving - Option coaches have very limited options at the next level.

ETSU may well dominate the SoCon for the next few years, but I seriously doubt it. Hendrix has Furman back to playing like Furman, Wofford didn't take the nose dive I expected after Ayers retired, and Chattanooga isn't going to be happy not being a conference leader. Add into that Mercer, who hasn't done a ton yet, but was desperately to be good and have the resources to be a factor. Samford will remain a solid but a Jekyl and Hyde team as long as Hatcher is there, The Citadel will keep up the cyclical performance we've seen over the last twenty years. Western has Tyrie, but I'm not sure the administration is committed to trying to be a top SoCon team, and I know the administration at VMI isn't committed to football.

That being said, I'd say that the SoCon is quite strong top to bottom and any team (other than VMI) feels like they have a legitimate shot at being top 2-3 SoCon right now and rightfully so. There are no days off in the SoCon.

JSUSoutherner
August 23rd, 2019, 10:18 PM
About them getting all the bounces? KSU is a good football team, and they may be over-rated somewhat as they have no competition in the Big South so when they start with a high ranking they keep it even though they don't play anybody. Have you seen their OOC this year? Of course they beat JSU twice in a row (which honestly shocked me both times) so what do I know.

Or if it's about their coach leaving - Option coaches have very limited options at the next level.

ETSU may well dominate the SoCon for the next few years, but I seriously doubt it. Hendrix has Furman back to playing like Furman, Wofford didn't take the nose dive I expected after Ayers retired, and Chattanooga isn't going to be happy not being a conference leader. Add into that Mercer, who hasn't done a ton yet, but was desperately to be good and have the resources to be a factor. Samford will remain a solid but a Jekyl and Hyde team as long as Hatcher is there, The Citadel will keep up the cyclical performance we've seen over the last twenty years. Western has Tyrie, but I'm not sure the administration is committed to trying to be a top SoCon team, and I know the administration at VMI isn't committed to football.

That being said, I'd say that the SoCon is quite strong top to bottom and any team (other than VMI) feels like they have a legitimate shot at being top 2-3 SoCon right now and rightfully so. There are no days off in the SoCon.

No, the "you actually think they are going to improve?" Thing.

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2019, 12:34 AM
No, the "you actually think they are going to improve?" Thing.Huh? Only someone that doesn’t follow (or understand the slightest thing about) FCS Football would have been stupid enough to have said that...except before THIS season.

KSU...
2014 - Practice Year - Recruit a HUGE class of Scholarship FR & Redshirt EVERYONE

2015 - 6-5 / 2-4 - huge class of R-FR ... OOC wins over 1st yr (awful) ETSU, Edward Waters, Shorter, and Point

2016 - 8-3 / 3-2 - huge class of R-SO ... OOC wins over Point, Duquesne, Furman (bad; fired HC), Missouri S&T

2017 - 12-2 / 5-0 - huge class of R-JR ... OOC wins over (bad) TTU, Alabama St, N GVL, TX SO

2018 - 11-2 / 5-0 - huge class of R-SR ... OOC wins over (bad) TTU, Alabama ST, ClarkATL, (reeling from injuries on D) Samford

With a consistently weak as saturated 1-ply toilet paper and fortunate OOC schedule, a cratering Big South Conference, and a maturing class of more & more experienced Players with depth building behind them, what moron would have expected the L’ilHooters to take a step back in the past 3 seasons?

Now...if someone says they expect the BarnRatEaters to fall off a tad this year, with the loss of 20+ VERY experienced players...even though their OOC schedule remains even weaker than totally saturated 1-ply...and the Big South might have (finally) reached their nadir last year, but still may be weaker than the PFL...then that might make sense & we’ll see after they cop an undeserved seed & have as cake-ish a 2nd round home game as possible. If the FowlLindaBlairs get blown out in the Quarterfinals (or earlier), as the pretenders they will be there, then, those saying, BEFORE THIS SEASON, “You actually think they are going to improve?” will have been correct; unlike the people who you’ve imagined said that in prior years.

#BewareReinhardt

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2019, 02:07 AM
PICKS

Saturday, Aug 24, 2019

Samford at Youngstown State - Heat & HomewoodHounds hit hard on the IcePigeons. Pelini signs 5 new recruits / transfers from Limestone CF in Madison, AL on his way home & returns to DepressionTown with a 27-17 loss to brood upon while diabolically stroking his pet pussy.

Thursday, Aug. 29

Eastern Illinois at Chattanooga - Coach Wright gets things started off on the Wright foot as the SnakeBirds strike & swallow these OVC pussycats 28-10.

Saturday, Aug. 31

Charleston Southern at #19 Furman - The last time I saw this band of bungling buccaneers in action vs. the bellhops, they reminded me of the 1st 75-pound / 9 YO Team I coached, but not as disciplined, nor aggressive. Paladins trample the seagoingsmugglers 56-3; stomping a mud hole into them on dry land.

#11 Towson at The Citadel - HEAT, HUMIDITY, and Sand-gnats hamstring another set of northern pussycats, (northern...even though their litter box lies south of the M-D line). Bellhops secede in stealing another SoCon OOC win from the 23-Teams-in-the-Playoffs-CAA, 21-20.

ETSU at App State - Nothing FUBeAR would like more than to see the MountainPirates find one of their many 2018 lucky pennies & use it to plug up yosef’s musket...but with the loss of 20+ Sr’s, each with horseshoes in their back pockets, I just don’t see this misnomered mascot ETSU Team being able to overcome these wannabe’s...this year. Appys win 35-7.

Mercer at Western Carolina - Bears run their winning streak over the cantamounts to 4 in a row as the overmatched and still really bad WCU Defense has no answers for Riddle, Devezin, Ellington, and Durden. Tyrie Adams, the undisputed best 1-man-band in college football, spends a good part of the day fleeing for his life as his just-got-home-from-the-Sr-Prom OL can’t slow down Mercer’s talented & experienced Front 6 (Bears are 4-2-5 now) + blitzers. He still works his magic though & finds some (ridiculous) ways to put points on the board. Following a 49-28 loss, remaining pussycat fans leave Whitmire Stadium shredding their game programs, demonstrating what they’d like to do to with the Lifetime Contract for Coach Speir, announced just after 90% of the cantamount fans leave the stadium following WCU’s halftime band performance. Having lost 9 in a row, WCU is now officially placed on “VMI Watch” by the SoCon League Office (whatever that means).

#9 Wofford at SC State - Despite the damage it might do to the SoCon, FUBeAR would love to see the Bulldogs eat the littledogs in this one. Not gonna happen. The porchyappers simply don’t schedule FCS OOC games where they have any chance of a loss. SparkleCity yardbarkers win this one in the Burg That is Orange, 31-14.

VMI at Marshall - Please Lord, let the kangaroos enjoy a miracle & beat this scourge of humanity program located in that Hell on earth, Huntington, WV. Unfortunately, this game plays out like the plot of AMC’s “Preacher” - God is missing. BlunderingTurd rolls over the pouchedprivates, 63-10.

Samford at Tenn Tech - I already picked the Samford game! Oh...I see....Coach Hatcher gets the bullpups to quick 2-0, in a rout, 42-17, as his progeny plays QB the entire 2nd half, and things begin to get “veeeerrry in-te-rest-ink, but stupid” (Arte Johnson Laugh-In Nazi soldier character in the bushes voice) in Homewood for the next several years.

POWER RANKINGS

1. Chattanooga
1. ETSU
1. Furman
1. Mercer
1. Samford
1. The Citadel
1. Wofford
8. WCU
9. VMI

That’s it. “Read it & wipe it. The money am on the dresser.” - for you old school UFFP’ers out there. Man, I miss that guy!

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2019, 11:02 AM
I hate the terms "statement game" and "must win" game, but Furman's tilt with CSU feels like both.

It's an out of conference home game against a team that may not be at the height it was a few years ago, but is still a respectable opponent. Furman has two FBS game, a tough SoCon schedule to come, and a history of slow starts, so they really need to get a "W" in week 1.

After reading Furman's review on the defensive backfield, though, I'm encouraged against our chances against a team that is going to spread the ball out and throw it. The Paladins will have one of the nation's best pass rushes and deep at CB. I'm anxious to see whether Furman starts using a lot more "sub packages" against a spread passing game and putting more DBs on the field.

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2019, 11:50 AM
I hate the terms "statement game" and "must win" game, but Furman's tilt with CSU feels like both.

It's an out of conference home game against a team that may not be at the height it was a few years ago, but is still a respectable opponent.

They may be improved with a new Coaching Staff, but the team I watched wallow around with the bellhops last Turkey Week would not have been a “respectable opponent” for a GISA HS Team in GA.

Milktruck74
August 24th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I can't speculate too much about the outcome of Thursday evening's game between the Mocs and EIU, there are so many unknowns with New Staffs and new schemes for both teams....What I can assure you of is the Staff on Chattanooga the sideline will show plenty of emotion, something that has lacked the last two seasons....Rusty is a Passionate guy, he may even throw a visor or clipboard (but not his headset, because we don't have the money to replace those), he is going to be the first guy to High Five a kid on a big tackle or a great run....and he is going to be over at the bench keeping the Big Heavy's morale up. I don't like to lose, but I absolutely hate to see anybody on any level be totally apathetic about losing. I may be the one guy that thought Arth could make the transition from D3....but I just couldn't deal with the stoic sideline....c'mon man, it's Football!!!!! IF you can't get up for that, you may not have a pulse!!!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 24th, 2019, 03:52 PM

Doesn’t it?

EDIT: Point of order. I didn’t mean to say “1st Team All SoCon RB” above. What I meant to say was “Starting All SoCon RB.” Tee Mitchell was Mercer’s Starting RB in 2018 before being injured the week prior to the Mercer vs. ETSU game, but I don’t think he had previously been named 1st Team All SoCon. I believe he had been named only as a 2nd Team All SoCon RB. My apologies for any confusion.

I was going back and forth as where everybody fits in the picture. The last time I looked, ETSU still has Randy Sanders and Mercer has not quite set the conference on fire. Since Mercer left the PFL for the greener pastures of the SoCon, they have finished either above or below 500. Not only that, Mercer is on the wrong end of a two-game against said ETSU. Mercer has never made the playoffs while ETSU pulled that trick last year. I don't know about you but if I was a Mercer fan right now, I would be pissed and rightfully so. Which is kinda where I was at the end of Torbush's last year at ETSU and then Torbush retired. The rest is history.

Mocs123
August 24th, 2019, 03:55 PM
I just took a break from painting and flipped the Samford - Youngstown game and it looks like Samford is getting spanked.

rtzlunar
August 24th, 2019, 04:04 PM
I just took a break from painting and flipped the Samford - Youngstown game and it looks like Samford is getting spanked.

Samford’s D has a lot of work to do. Too many TO’s on offense as well.

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Samdots defense is giving all they got in spite of poor tackling.

I’m not sure this Bulldog team is going to be able to overcome the loss of Hodges and McKnight this season. Hatchers calling card is offense, and they look rough.

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2019, 04:26 PM
I was going back and forth as where everybody fits in the picture. The last time I looked, ETSU still has Randy Sanders and Mercer has not quite set the conference on fire. Since Mercer left the PFL for the greener pastures of the SoCon, they have finished either above or below 500. Not only that, Mercer is on the wrong end of a two-game against said ETSU. Mercer has never made the playoffs while ETSU pulled that trick last year. I don't know about you but if I was a Mercer fan right now, I would be pissed and rightfully so. Which is kinda where I was at the end of Torbush's last year at ETSU and then Torbush retired. The rest is history.
So there IS an absolute chasm between ETSU & Mercer, then? OK

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2019, 04:38 PM
So there IS an absolute chasm between ETSU & Mercer, then? OK

There isn't. ETSU was not clearly the better team in any game they played last season.

longtimemocfan
August 24th, 2019, 04:45 PM
Samford has missed more tackles then they've made in this game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Samford has missed more tackles then they've made in this game.

The tackling is a problem. There are a number of teams in the SoCon that are going to be able to run the ball at Samford like YSU is.

On the bright side, the defense is playing their butts off. They are missing tackles, but guys are still running to the ball.

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2019, 05:01 PM
The tackling is a problem. There are a number of teams in the SoCon that are going to be able to run the ball at Samford like YSU is.

On the bright side, the defense is playing their butts off. They are missing tackles, but guys are still running to the ball.unlike at least 1 other D in the SoCon, Samford’s D has always played hard. They haven’t been very good or very tough in some years, but that’s because they practice against an Offense that facilitates lack of toughness from a D.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 24th, 2019, 05:20 PM
IMO Hatcher just needs to go and break in Oladokun right now. You've got Tennessee Tech and a bye before you have to play Wofford (which might be a loss anyways). And if you don't do it now you'll probably end up doing it mid season anyways.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 24th, 2019, 05:44 PM

Here's the thing though, I went to both schools and I am proud of being associated with them. As far as ASU is concerned, Satterfield came having a very tough act to follow and found a hot mess, which he was able to clean up and made ASU the class of the Sun Belt by the time he left to tackle an even worse situation at Louisville. Back to ETSU, Sanders had a hot mess as well (thank you Carl Torbush) but through his leadership, ETSU had their best season since 1996 except ETSU won their first SoCon title. I said it in a previous thread and I will say it here, ETSU will only get better because Sanders will bring in players he wants and the Torbush er(ror) players will either graduate/transfer out. Put it to you this way, Sanders is going to be to ETSU football what Steve Forbes has done with our men's basketball team except Sanders has a higher ceiling because of his resume/pedigree.

I will agree that ETSU will be improved defensively because we have some certified studs coming back (Nasir Player, Tyree "Tony Dinozzo" Robinson et al). Randy "Jethro Gibbs" Sanders completely trusts Billy Taylor in having a more than competent defense taking the field. I will also agree that ETSU looked different with Marchi at the controls and made me think "no wonder why Sanders got canned in Knoxville." Then Herink had a coming out party against the Fighting Fumanchus and the rest is history.

As far as ETSU's last two games vs. Chattanooga were concerned, Chattanooga never led last year's game while the 2017 game was the infamous WTF Bowl in which Carl Torbush was the head coach. The reason I do not think highly of Chattanooga because it looks like you have a possible rebuild on your hands. That and your DC just came from the Louisville team that had the worst defense in the ACC last year (ask Scott Satterfield).

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 24th, 2019, 05:48 PM
There isn't. ETSU was the luckiest team in any game they played last season (outside of Big Brother, Wofford and Samford).

FIFY

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 24th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Youngstown State 45, Samford 22 Final. Samford got woodshedded.

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2019, 06:20 PM
ASU the class of the Sun BeltShapeliest amoeba in the septic tank

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2019, 09:19 PM
Just looked at the Samford/YSU box score:

The TOP was 41:27 to 18:33. That's bananas.

Samford, frankly, is fortunate the game was as close as it was.

wcugrad95
August 24th, 2019, 10:06 PM

It's an out of conference home game against a team that may not be at the height it was a few years ago, but is still a respectable opponent. Furman has two FBS game, a tough SoCon schedule to come, and a history of slow starts, so they really need to get a "W" in week 1.

After reading Furman's review on the defensive backfield, though, I'm encouraged against our chances against a team that is going to spread the ball out and throw it. The Paladins will have one of the nation's best pass rushes and deep at CB. I'm anxious to see whether Furman starts using a lot more "sub packages" against a spread passing game and putting more DBs on the field.

What???

If this is a must win game for FU, the SoCon is in trouble (especially after Samford’s showing). Furman is supposed to be at the top of the league. If they don’t win this game convincingly it will be very disappointing.

gofurman
August 24th, 2019, 10:15 PM
What???

If this is a must win game for FU, the SoCon is in trouble (especially after Samford’s showing). Furman is supposed to be at the top of the league. If they don’t win this game convincingly it will be very disappointing.

that's why PaladinFan is saying it's a 'must-win' type thing. FU should be expected to win.. **0 of course, Samford was 3 point underdog to YSU. YSU won by what, 23 ? Shows what pre-season polls are worth. 20 points off from Vegas betting. Villanova was a 3 point UNDERDOG and won by 20 !

So you can see why those pre-season thoughts are worth something but not a ton sometimes.

So FU needs to come out and get a W to establish the SoCon some. plus you have to realize despite FU making the playoffs in2017 and winning the SoCon in 2018 we started both years 0-3 !!! that's partly where we are coming from. obviously in those 0-3 starts were teams like Clemson so it's a little misleading but still

alsooo after this Charleston Southern opener - we get TWO FBS games CONSECUTIVE.. Georgia State (not great but still 20+ scholarships more than FCS that's huge for depth in early HOT games) and then V Tech !! thus the necessity of winning this CSU game

wcugrad95
August 24th, 2019, 10:25 PM
WCU plays N.C. State and a little school from Tuscaloosa at the end, plus we start with a huge conference game in Mercer. Probably makes our 3rd game against North Greenville a “must win” following your logic. Furman’s game against Chuck South is a “you better” win game, or we could see another year of no more than 2 SoCon teams in the playoffs (even leaving out a tri-champ like last year). Good teams are supposed to win games they are favored in, especially at home. So I guess this is a must win because losing would be semi-disastrous.

Don’t get me wrong - I expect FU to win by double-digits (and hope it is 20+).

PaladinFan
August 25th, 2019, 06:43 AM
WCU plays N.C. State and a little school from Tuscaloosa at the end, plus we start with a huge conference game in Mercer. Probably makes our 3rd game against North Greenville a “must win” following your logic. Furman’s game against Chuck South is a “you better” win game, or we could see another year of no more than 2 SoCon teams in the playoffs (even leaving out a tri-champ like last year). Good teams are supposed to win games they are favored in, especially at home. So I guess this is a must win because losing would be semi-disastrous.

Don’t get me wrong - I expect FU to win by double-digits (and hope it is 20+).

I mean, that's the point isn't it?

Furman is the favorite. They are playing at home. If Furman is serious about being a nationally relevant program again, these are the types of games they must win.

gofurman
August 25th, 2019, 11:30 AM
right. we are all saying the same thing.. semantics - WCU better beat NGU and Furman must beat CSU

Mocs123
August 25th, 2019, 02:12 PM
And Chattanooga has to beat EIU if we have playoff aspirations.

JSUSoutherner
August 25th, 2019, 06:16 PM
And Chattanooga has to beat EIU if we have playoff aspirations.
I'm realllllly curious to see EIU. They have some good players but Dameron was a garbage coach. It'll be a good litmus test for both teams I think.

UTC should win, but if you don't I wouldn't write the season off as a lost cause until we know what EIU actually is.

kdinva
August 25th, 2019, 07:22 PM
Thursday, Aug. 29
Eastern Illinois 21 at Chattanooga 31

Saturday, Aug. 31
Charleston Southern 20 at #19 Furman 37
#11 Towson 34 at The Citadel 28
ETSU 20 at App State 42
Mercer 38 at Western Carolina 42
#9 Wofford 44 at SC State 17
VMI 27 at Marshall 49
Samford 24 at Tenn Tech 21

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Furman announces Darren Grainger as QB1 for Charleston Southern.

Grainger may be the biggest X-Factor in the entire conference this season.

PaladinNation
August 26th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Furman announces Darren Grainger as QB1 for Charleston Southern.

Grainger may be the biggest X-Factor in the entire conference this season.

^^ I watched intently Chris Olandokun (6-2 195) when he came in for Welch during Samford/YSU game.
Olandokun was illusive and it seemed he gave YSU's defense a matchup problem.

Grainger is 6-4 195 has a big arm and is elusive for a big QB. Grainger has big upside if he can concut down turnovers - and manage Furman's multiple offense. Grainger gives Furman a player that's rare for the program. A tall, athletic dual threat QB who has a gun arm.

I've been impressed with Grainger in preseason practice - he appears more confident running the option aspect and he's throwing darts.

Excited for Saturday.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2019, 07:38 PM
Ruh....roh...

https://www.goupstate.com/sports/20190826/two-wofford-defensive-linemen-wont-play-in-opener

Two Wofford defensive linemen won't play in opener
Wofford will begin its football season without two of the three projected starters on the defensive line.

Preseason All-Southern Conference junior nose tackle Mikel Horton is out indefinitely with an injury and junior defensive end Austin Lufkin will also miss Saturday's 6 p.m. game at South Carolina State for violation of team rules.

gofurman
August 26th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Ruh....roh...

https://www.goupstate.com/sports/20190826/two-wofford-defensive-linemen-wont-play-in-opener

Wofford will begin its football season without two of the three projected starters on the defensive line.

Preseason All-Southern Conference junior nose tackle Mikel Horton is out indefinitely with an injury and junior defensive end Austin Lufkin will also miss Saturday's 6 p.m. game at South Carolina State for violation of team rules.

hmmm. right now all SoCon are pulling for each other for conference strength purposes.

Mocs123
August 27th, 2019, 07:41 AM
Hopefully they still whip up on South Carolina State. We need them to win their OOC games.

For Terrier fans, losing a NT is always tough, how is the Wofford depth on DLine?

Milktruck74
August 27th, 2019, 07:45 AM
Ruh....roh...

SC State....Does it really matter? Wofford will hold the ball for 38+ minutes and score at will... Without the two DLs, they may give up an extra TD....so Wofford 41-14, instead of 41-7.

gofurman
August 27th, 2019, 07:51 AM
yep.. and one is out one week and then Woff has a .. bye week and then the bad .. Samford team we just saw and then they have Gardner Webb and.. man, they don't play anyone (other than maybe Samford but Samford looks not to be able to stop the run) until October. Granted, Samford being bad was just luck. that could have been a tough game. but that schedule is almost perfect. beat sc state.. study mistakes on off week. play samford who can't stop run.. play Gardner webb and VMI.. they should be hitting on all cylinders by time they play ETSU in Octobr !

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2019, 08:07 AM
SC State....Does it really matter? Wofford will hold the ball for 38+ minutes and score at will... Without the two DLs, they may give up an extra TD....so Wofford 41-14, instead of 41-7.

Probably not this week. I think missing two DLs against a few of the SoCon teams would be a huge issue for the Terriers.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2019, 08:08 AM
yep.. and one is out one week and then Woff has a .. bye week and then the bad .. Samford team we just saw and then they have Gardner Webb and.. man, they don't play anyone (other than maybe Samford but Samford looks not to be able to stop the run) until October. Granted, Samford being bad was just luck. that could have been a tough game. but that schedule is almost perfect. beat sc state.. study mistakes on off week. play samford who can't stop run.. play Gardner webb and VMI.. they should be hitting on all cylinders by time they play ETSU in Octobr !

By no means should anyone take Saturday's result as Samford being "bad."

Week 0 games are tough, and usually there are a lot of adjustments between the first two games. Samford has plenty of talent, they just got outmuscled Saturday. Cut down on turnovers and they would have been in that contest.

SU DOG
August 27th, 2019, 10:03 AM
By no means should anyone take Saturday's result as Samford being "bad."

Week 0 games are tough, and usually there are a lot of adjustments between the first two games. Samford has plenty of talent, they just got outmuscled Saturday. Cut down on turnovers and they would have been in that contest.

+1 Turnovers are part of it, but without all those, at least the score would have been less embarrassing.

gofurman
August 27th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Probably not this week. I think missing two DLs against a few of the SoCon teams would be a huge issue for the Terriers.

Agree. Horton (all conference) is a concern for them. The other guy is just a one week suspension for now.

ElCid
August 27th, 2019, 07:17 PM
Thursday
Eastern Illinois at Chattanooga - 34-21

Saturday
CSU at Furman – 38-13
Towson at The Citadel – 34-32
ETSU at App State – 48-10
Wofford at SC State – 34-14
Mercer at Western Carolina - 35-28
VMI at Marshall – 42-13
Samford at Tenn Tech – 44-20

Power Ranking
1. Wofford
2. Furman
3. The Citadel
4. Chattanooga
5. Mercer
6. Samford
7. ETSU
8. WCU
9. VMI

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Thursday
Eastern Illinois at Chattanooga - 34-21

Saturday
CSU at Furman – 38-13
Towson at The Citadel – 34-32
ETSU at App State – 48-10
Wofford at SC State – 34-14
Mercer at Western Carolina - 35-28
VMI at Marshall – 42-13
Samford at Tenn Tech – 44-20

Power Ranking
1. Wofford
2. Furman
3. The Citadel
4. Chattanooga
5. Mercer
6. Samford
7. ETSU
8. WCU
9. VMIwho’s the new guy?

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2019, 04:47 AM
Furman released its depth chart for week 1. A couple of interesting finds in there.

Adrian Hope, who is on the Buck Buchanan list, is listed as the backup (as he was last year). First, it's odd to have a guy considered one of the nation's best defensive players not be a starter. Second, though, is that it may also indicate that Furman intends to use Hope much like they did last season - not as an every down linebacker, but a rotational player used to create havoc in the backfield on passing downs.

PaladinNation
August 28th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Furman released its depth chart for week 1. A couple of interesting finds in there.

Adrian Hope, who is on the Buck Buchanan list, is listed as the backup (as he was last year). First, it's odd to have a guy considered one of the nation's best defensive players not be a starter. Second, though, is that it may also indicate that Furman intends to use Hope much like they did last season - not as an every down linebacker, but a rotational player used to create havoc in the backfield on passing downs.

plus - Furman is still young - seventeen freshmen on the two deep. Eight seniors on the two deep, only two on the offense two deep. Two freshmen will start, Grainger at quarterback and Devin Abrams at running back (Furman's hybrid TB/FB). Evan Jumper is listed as OR at center. It's been a long time since a true freshman center has started at Furman, but I hear he's that good to possible beat out a veteran.

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2019, 07:22 AM
plus - Furman is still young - seventeen freshmen on the two deep. Eight seniors on the two deep, only two on the offense two deep. Two freshmen will start, Grainger at quarterback and Devin Abrams at running back (Furman's hybrid TB/FB). Evan Jumper is listed as OR at center. It's been a long time since a true freshman center has started at Furman, but I hear he's that good to possible beat out a veteran.

That's not an excuse anymore. Furman's roster is mostly juniors. If they opt to play freshman, that's one thing, but they are not in a position where they really have to.

I do believe it is good for long term viability that the program continues to bring in younger players.

Mocs123
August 28th, 2019, 07:44 AM
I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen, but at the FCS level, top teams tend to win with starters who are Jr's and Sr's (and often ones that redshirted). Obviously there are players like Hope who burst on to the scene as a Freshman and dominate, but he is the exception and not the rule. Players that can dominate as Freshmen generally go to P5 schools. Hope only fell to this level because he's a small 'tweener that doesn't fit the mold of what FBS schools look for in a OLB, Edge, or DE.

I'm not sure that having 17 freshmen in your two deep like WCU has, is indicitive of sucess today at the FCS level. Now if those players all develop, it might indicate they could be a factor in a couple of years.

FUGameBreaker
August 28th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Is it gameday yet?

Mocs123
August 28th, 2019, 08:49 AM
1 day 9 hours 11 min

FUGameBreaker
August 28th, 2019, 08:55 AM
1 day 9 hours 11 min

xthumbsupx Good Luck!

gofurman
August 28th, 2019, 09:56 AM
I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen, but at the FCS level, top teams tend to win with starters who are Jr's and Sr's (and often ones that redshirted). Obviously there are players like Hope who burst on to the scene as a Freshman and dominate, but he is the exception and not the rule. Players that can dominate as Freshmen generally go to P5 schools. Hope only fell to this level because he's a small 'tweener that doesn't fit the mold of what FBS schools look for in a OLB, Edge, or DE.

I'm not sure that having 17 freshmen in your two deep like WCU has, is indicitive of sucess today at the FCS level. Now if those players all develop, it might indicate they could be a factor in a couple of years.

Actually Hope - highest ranked freshman defensive player on Rice voting .. didn't play as a Fr. We held him until Redshirt Fr. Which surprised me a little ... so we Redshirt Adrian Hope but play these other guys as true Fr ?

gofurman
August 28th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Actually Hope - highest ranked freshman defensive player on Rice voting .. didn't play as a Fr. We held him until Redshirt Fr. Which surprised me a little ... so we Redshirt Adrian Hope but play these other guys as true Fr ?

In any case Furmans Fr are backups for the most part. Only two or so may start. QB Grainger Or Sisson are both R-Fr. Center is a possible true Fr. That’s really it - oddity as though two positions are the ones where experience is most necessary. But we don’t have any older QBs on roster per prior regime. Center is a battle of last year’s starter who is Junior and a true Fr !

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2019, 11:54 AM

Where is FUBeAR on the 17 freshman on the two-deep comment? He seemed to be itching to point that out when the WCU two-deep was released. And if you expand to count the specialists listed, Furman actually beats Western with 18 listed.

That is said (mostly) in jest. In today's game, young guys even at FCS are more ready to play than they used to be. I have seen numerous comments by some of the FU faithful about Hendrix getting in the kind of guys he wants, so it makes sense that FR, RS FR, and SO that he brought in will be on the two-deep. At the same time, every team has to play the guys who are the best they have. If that is a SR or a FR it really doesn't matter. Obviously the historic trend has been for guys to get in, learn the system, get bigger/stronger, and be more productive as JRs and SRs. But it seems like now teams that have longer-term success will be the ones that have guys who are contributing as early as possible and for multiple years.

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2019, 12:08 PM

I don't disagree with that.

To me, Furman's only real depth concern is at safety. They do have some quality starters that have played a lot of football back there, though.

Most of Furman's true freshmen on the two-deep fit that mold, though. Evan Jumper had 20 something offers (including many FBS), participated in spring practice, and has gained 20 pounds. He's ready.

Josh Agbenou's another guy to watch. Like Jumper, he had a bunch of offers. He's a mountain of an inside linebacker at 6'2 231 (many FCS teams have DEs smaller than he is). The easy comp for Furman fans is William Freeman, who was a monster for the Paladin defense for a long time.

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2019, 12:10 PM
Where is FUBeAR on the 17 freshman on the two-deep comment? He seemed to be itching to point that out when the WCU two-deep was released. And if you expand to count the specialists listed, Furman actually beats Western with 18 listed.

That is said (mostly) in jest. In today's game, young guys even at FCS are more ready to play than they used to be. I have seen numerous comments by some of the FU faithful about Hendrix getting in the kind of guys he wants, so it makes sense that FR, RS FR, and SO that he brought in will be on the two-deep. At the same time, every team has to play the guys who are the best they have. If that is a SR or a FR it really doesn't matter. Obviously the historic trend has been for guys to get in, learn the system, get bigger/stronger, and be more productive as JRs and SRs. But it seems like now teams that have longer-term success will be the ones that have guys who are contributing as early as possible and for multiple years.

I had a conversation just yesterday with a coach on a state championship high school baseball team. He noted that today, guys are just bigger, faster, and more ready to play ball at a much younger age than they used to be. They specialize early. I imagine it is the same for football.

A lot of these guys show up on campus physically ready to play and compete. You don't have to wait around a few years for them to get it together.

gofurman
August 28th, 2019, 12:57 PM
I don't disagree with that.

To me, Furman's only real depth concern is at safety. They do have some quality starters that have played a lot of football back there, though.

Most of Furman's true freshmen on the two-deep fit that mold, though. Evan Jumper had 20 something offers (including many FBS), participated in spring practice, and has gained 20 pounds. He's ready.

Josh Agbenou's another guy to watch. Like Jumper, he had a bunch of offers. He's a mountain of an inside linebacker at 6'2 231 (many FCS teams have DEs smaller than he is). The easy comp for Furman fans is William Freeman, who was a monster for the Paladin defense for a long time.

it did occur to me that 2 years ago we loved having the Center Schmidt (senior) hike to a senior QB and many felt that was why we did WAY better than expected in 2017 (in addition to CH coaching). You had a Senior hiking to a Senior - the two guys who touched ball the most ! and that can mask other things. So I just find it odd that now it's 'ok' to have a possible FR hiking to a FR. look, i TRUST coach CH. he has done a wonderful job !!! wonderful . just saying I see minor inconsistencies in postings from time to time - not PaladinFan necessarily. just some peeps - but hey, I am sure I do the same

I do agree that you can have a team that is BOTH 'a year away from 100% depth' and is a contender this year !

PaladinNation
August 28th, 2019, 01:22 PM
it did occur to me that 2 years ago we loved having the Center Schmidt (senior) hike to a senior QB and many felt that was why we did WAY better than expected in 2017 (in addition to CH coaching). You had a Senior hiking to a Senior - the two guys who touched ball the most ! and that can mask other things. So I just find it odd that now it's 'ok' to have a possible FR hiking to a FR. look, i TRUST coach CH. he has done a wonderful job !!! wonderful . just saying I see minor inconsistencies in postings from time to time - not PaladinFan necessarily. just some peeps - but hey, I am sure I do the same

I do agree that you can have a team that is BOTH 'a year away from 100% depth' and is a contender this year !

GF - I know if you had your way and I'm sure every coach in the country feels the same way - they'd redshirt every incoming recruit.

But the reality is unpredictable. Furman has no choice but to play a redshirt freshman QB. Jumper enrolled early - no doubt - because he felt he could play now, and it seems the coaches thought so too. It's come true. He's turned this into a game-day decision. It's not an inconsistency, it's a fact.

CCH has now brought in three classes, he's raised the bar each year. 2020 as of right now looks to the best so far.

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2019, 01:23 PM

This is the way I look at it.

Our roster is our roster. We have, in my (biased) opinion, the leagues' top coaching staff. That staff took a dumpster fire and turned it into a conference champion and playoff contender. They have earned my trust regarding this football team.

If I trust the football staff and their decisions, then I trust that they are going to play guys when they have demonstrated they are ready to play. They are not infallible, but no one (literally no one) has more at stake in these decision than those coaches.

Just look at last season. The coaching staff knew Harris Roberts was graduating. They knew that the two backups were freshmen. Did they take a QB in the 2019 class? No. Did they really even look in the direction of a QB in recruiting? No. Did they ask the only other non-freshman QB to move positions? Yes.

What does that tell you? The coaching staff (who, again, we should trust) really likes Darren Grainger. Do they care that he's a redshirt freshman? They don't seem like they do.

Did anyone care that Armanti Edwards was a freshman in 2006 when he torched the SoCon? Nope (by the way, App didn't win titles during Edwards junior or senior year, but did when he was a freshman and sophomore).

In a perfect world a football team would be a bunch of redshirt senior terminators. That isn't reality, though. Trust your coaches. Trust your player development. Trust your process. When a guy is ready, turn him loose.

wcugrad95
August 28th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Good post PaladinFan. There can be some guys who just take your squad by storm (your Edwards example, Hope for FU last year, Adams at WCU is a 4-year starter, Newsome for WCU had 3-straight 1000 yard seasons after playing a lot as a FR, etc.). At the end of the day, every coaching staff better be playing the guys that they truthfully feel give them the best chance to win. There are some guys a program might try to protect and only play a few games to keep the redshirt in play for the future, but if the best guy at a position on your roster was playing high school ball last year you would be crazy not to have him in the game this season.

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Good post PaladinFan. There can be some guys who just take your squad by storm (your Edwards example, Hope for FU last year, Adams at WCU is a 4-year starter, Newsome for WCU had 3-straight 1000 yard seasons after playing a lot as a FR, etc.). At the end of the day, every coaching staff better be playing the guys that they truthfully feel give them the best chance to win. There are some guys a program might try to protect and only play a few games to keep the redshirt in play for the future, but if the best guy at a position on your roster was playing high school ball last year you would be crazy not to have him in the game this season.

With Furman, they return most of the two deep from last year.

So, if a player cracks the two deep as a freshman, he is likely supplanting a guy who was on the two deep on a SoCon title team. It's not like Furman has a roster currently with a bunch of holes that need to be plugged by freshmen. They have guys that played last year who are now backing up the freshmen.

gofurman
August 28th, 2019, 01:47 PM
This is the way I look at it.

Our roster is our roster. We have, in my (biased) opinion, the leagues' top coaching staff. That staff took a dumpster fire and turned it into a conference champion and playoff contender. They have earned my trust regarding this football team.

If I trust the football staff and their decisions, then I trust that they are going to play guys when they have demonstrated they are ready to play. They are not infallible, but no one (literally no one) has more at stake in these decision than those coaches.

Just look at last season. The coaching staff knew Harris Roberts was graduating. They knew that the two backups were freshmen. Did they take a QB in the 2019 class? No. Did they really even look in the direction of a QB in recruiting? No. Did they ask the only other non-freshman QB to move positions? Yes.

What does that tell you? The coaching staff (who, again, we should trust) really likes Darren Grainger. Do they care that he's a redshirt freshman? They don't seem like they do.

Did anyone care that Armanti Edwards was a freshman in 2006 when he torched the SoCon? Nope (by the way, App didn't win titles during Edwards junior or senior year, but did when he was a freshman and sophomore).

In a perfect world a football team would be a bunch of redshirt senior terminators. That isn't reality, though. Trust your coaches. Trust your player development. Trust your process. When a guy is ready, turn him loose.

we agree for the most part. really we do!

per the bold I just remember when I was told - "GF. TRUST THESE COACHES, ease up - they are more invested than you!" ... I was told that with the PRIOR two sets of coaches on recruiting. NOW people admit it was a dumpster fire of recruiting but no one would say so at the time and I got chided when I just hinted at that fact...

that's all - I was burned twice by coaches that LOVED Furman and were super great guys - the prior coaches were class acts all the way that I wanted to succeed ! - but I don't know jack and I could tell we were missing some pieces. one bitten, twice shy.. LOL - I was Twice bitten :D

that's all - I am all for Furman and I have been convinced this set of coaches KNOWS what they are doing. now one thing we have not seen yet and has not been discussed much is the loss of our DC and new DB coaches. I LOVE what we have in CH and Quarles.. hope to see the same of Vaughn !!!

2017 - playoffs xnodx
2018 - SoCon champs xnodx
2019 ?

GoFurman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2019, 12:22 PM
Furman jumps up early on Charleston Southern.

Paladins look pretty crisp. Gray uniforms actually look pretty good too.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2019, 12:35 PM
So, I've seen enough to feel a lot better about Furman's QB situation. Grainger looks completely fine.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2019, 12:44 PM
Furman scores. CSU answers with a long run on a third and short with a nifty move by the RB.

14-6

FUGameBreaker
August 31st, 2019, 01:39 PM
Paladins rolling!

ElCid
August 31st, 2019, 07:10 PM
Looks like Wofford has to resort to changing their offense in the middle of their game. Wow.

UpstateBison
August 31st, 2019, 07:17 PM
Looks like Wofford has to resort to changing their offense in the middle of their game. Wow.

What is up with Wofford at SCSU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
August 31st, 2019, 07:22 PM
What is up with Wofford at SCSU?

I guess they figured they would try their newfangled spread offense at a low threat SCSt. It bit them. Trying to recover now.

UpstateBison
August 31st, 2019, 07:25 PM
I guess they figured they would try their newfangled spread offense at a low threat SCSt. It bit them. Trying to recover now.

Thanks. Having dinner after watching the NDSU game and was very shocked at the score.

longtimemocfan
August 31st, 2019, 07:38 PM
Wow !! Wofford getting taken to the woodshed now 28-6. Don't even think SCSt. was even supposed to be the best team in the MEAC.

blueGOldMOCS
August 31st, 2019, 07:43 PM
I must have woken up into some alternate reality. First JSU, and now Wofford. My head hurts right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2019, 07:50 PM
I mentioned a number of times this summer that I expected Wofford to take a step back this season.

JSUSoutherner
August 31st, 2019, 07:54 PM
I mentioned a number of times this summer that I expected Wofford to take a step back this season.

"A step"

ElCid
August 31st, 2019, 08:18 PM
I must have woken up into some alternate reality. First JSU, and now Wofford. My head hurts right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a long list of upsets this week. Just a tide of new teams making a run and teams people thought were good riding some historical perception.

wcugrad95
August 31st, 2019, 08:41 PM
Mercer and WCU game mercifully ends. I am not sure if Mercer is that good, or if WCU is that bad. WCU defense (as hard as this is to understand) actually looked better than last year, but still gave up a ton of big plays. WCU's offense struggled mightily through the first 5 or 6 drives and then finally played a little better after it was too late. Unless the Bears are world-beaters, WCU will need to do some soul searching to even match last year's 3 wins.

Just based on scores it would seem like Furman and Mercer are the only SoCon schools real happy, Chatty got a W and will find out a lot about where they are this coming week, and the rest of the league - a big I dunno.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2019, 08:53 PM
Mercer and WCU game mercifully ends. I am not sure if Mercer is that good, or if WCU is that bad. WCU defense (as hard as this is to understand) actually looked better than last year, but still gave up a ton of big plays. WCU's offense struggled mightily through the first 5 or 6 drives and then finally played a little better after it was too late. Unless the Bears are world-beaters, WCU will need to do some soul searching to even match last year's 3 wins.

Just based on scores it would seem like Furman and Mercer are the only SoCon schools real happy, Chatty got a W and will find out a lot about where they are this coming week, and the rest of the league - a big I dunno.

As a Furman fan, there was a lot to be happy with.

ElCid
August 31st, 2019, 08:59 PM

I'm not too upset. We could have won, should have. I like what I saw. The Towson QB is one of the best in FCS. Our pass D needs some work and our O needs to hold the ball a little tighter. But they really couldn't stop our run for the most part. We will see next week at E-loan.

ElCid
August 31st, 2019, 09:14 PM
And Samford has yet another epic 4th qtr melt down. Going to OT after giving up 22 4th qtr points... to Tenn Tech no less.

kdinva
August 31st, 2019, 09:29 PM
Marshall 63; VMI 17. Marshall is just as physical as they are fast. all their RBs run hard, thick thighs, hard to bring down, and they had a fine Def. game plan to frustrate Udinski.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2019, 09:29 PM
And Samford has yet another epic 4th qtr melt down. Going to OT after giving up 22 4th qtr points... to Tenn Tech no less.

Samford blows a big lead and loses to Tenn. Tech.

The Bulldogs are a horrific tackling team.

ETSUfan1
August 31st, 2019, 09:30 PM
My Lord, Samford.

SU DOG
August 31st, 2019, 09:31 PM
Sickening, and our defense couldn't stop a D3 team.

ElCid
August 31st, 2019, 09:36 PM
Samford blows a big lead and loses to Tenn. Tech.

The Bulldogs are a horrific tackling team.

They were leading 41-22 with 13 minutes left in the game and they lose. How do you do that? Something is rotten in Birmingham. It's not the first time.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2019, 09:37 PM
Sickening, and our defense couldn't stop a D3 team.

I think Samford has to fundamentally change the way they play. The unofficial stats show that TTU has 17 more minutes of possession and ran almost 40 more plays than Samford. It is the second straight week Samford has just left their defense out there too long and watched them fade down the stretch. They look gassed by the end of the game.

My opinion - but if Hatcher doesn't slow his offense down some the Bulldogs are looking at a 4 win season. They aren't deep enough defensively to play the way they are playing.

PaladinNation
August 31st, 2019, 10:02 PM
I think Samford has to fundamentally change the way they play. The unofficial stats show that TTU has 17 more minutes of possession and ran almost 40 more plays than Samford. It is the second straight week Samford has just left their defense out there too long and watched them fade down the stretch. They look gassed by the end of the game.

My opinion - but if Hatcher doesn't slow his offense down some the Bulldogs are looking at a 4 win season. They aren't deep enough defensively to play the way they are playing.

Speaking of slowing down the offense. CSU went fast most of the game - no huddle against Furman. In the later part of the 3rd thru 4th quarters Furman carved them up with the running game. It looked to me that the BUCS got gassed.

I was very impressed with the DINS running game. Watkins should play next week at GaSt - really curious how CCH and Quarles will use Wynn/Watkins and true freshman Anderson at tailback. I bet we see more sets with Wynn/Anderson and Wynn/Watkins. Furman did show some one-back looks with Devin Abrams.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2019, 10:10 PM
Speaking of slowing down the offense. CSU went fast most of the game - no huddle against Furman. In the later part of the 3rd thru 4th quarters Furman carved them up with the running game. It looked to me that the BUCS got gassed.

I was very impressed with the DINS running game. Watkins should play next week at GaSt - really curious how CCH and Quarles will use Wynn/Watkins and true freshman Anderson at tailback. I bet we see more sets with Wynn/Anderson and Wynn/Watkins. Furman did show some one-back looks with Devin Abrams.

I'm all for rotating guys. CSU had no answer for Devin Wynn.

rtzlunar
August 31st, 2019, 10:13 PM
Ugly 1st week for the SoCon. Not going to be helpful for playoff bids/seeding/respect.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2019, 10:37 PM
Ugly 1st week for the SoCon. Not going to be helpful for playoff bids/seeding/respect.

There's a lot of football left to be played. Week 1 always has some strange results.

In my opinion, only two teams really produced head scratching results - Samford and Wofford.

Samford was a middle-of-the-pack team last year and graduated a bunch of their best players. While there were some questions this offseason, it certainly looks like it is going to be a rebuilding year for them.

Wofford lost to a South Carolina State team that has more than a few SoCon scalps over the years. The Bulldogs are often in the playoffs and not exactly a doormat. They didn't play well, but they can rebound from that.

Other than those two, nothing was terribly surprising. Furman pummeled their OOC opponent. The Citadel gave a good effort against a CAA team. A few of the other teams played FBS programs. The margin in the Mercer/WCU game was probably wider than expected, but the Bears were favored to win.

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2019, 11:21 PM
Mercer at Western Carolina - Bears run their winning streak over the cantamounts to 4 in a row as the overmatched and still really bad WCU Defense has no answers for Riddle, Devezin, Ellington, and Durden. Tyrie Adams, the undisputed best 1-man-band in college football, spends a good part of the day fleeing for his life as his just-got-home-from-the-Sr-Prom OL can’t slow down Mercer’s talented & experienced Front 6 (Bears are 4-2-5 now) + blitzers. He still works his magic though & finds some (ridiculous) ways to put points on the board. Following a 49-28 loss, remaining pussycat fans leave Whitmire Stadium shredding their game programs, demonstrating what they’d like to do to with the Lifetime Contract for Coach Speir, announced just after 90% of the cantamount fans leave the stadium following WCU’s halftime band performance. Having lost 9 in a row, WCU is now officially placed on “VMI Watch” by the SoCon League Office (whatever that means).

Coach Speir HATES FUBeAR. Why he gotta go for 2?

wcugrad95
August 31st, 2019, 11:21 PM
I'd say still not good for the league, given the recent past and SoCon teams getting (or I guess really not getting) bids. This is not us picking up bad or meaningless wins like the past few years - it is the league actually losing games that hurt the perception (Wofford), or not being able to pull out a win that would give a boost (Citadel). Samford has also been a recognizable name, and while those who follow the SoCon fully expected a drop-off given what they lost to graduation, the majority will just see a big loss in week 0 and a blown lead and ugly loss in week 1.

Again, Furman held up their end of the bargain, but I expect they will be the only team getting top-25 love after this week (Mercer may get noticed, but again - it was just Western).

The Cats
September 1st, 2019, 07:43 AM
Coach Speir HATES FUBeAR. Why he gotta go for 2?

I'll admit it Fubear, you made a hellva' prediction on the game. Seriously, can you pick me some lottery numbers?

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2019, 07:54 AM
Wofford not running the Option.... I need to check in on the Soco a bit more.... that was an ugly looking Woffy

ElCid
September 1st, 2019, 08:48 AM
Wofford not running the Option.... I need to check in on the Soco a bit more.... that was an ugly looking Woffy

It was a crazy week. Interesting article on overall crazy FCS week. I knew Samford was going to drop this year, but not that bad. I knew we would be better. Mercer surprised me a little. Wofford is just batshyt crazy.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-week-one-recap-towson-montana-ajaj

gofurman
September 1st, 2019, 10:04 AM
It was a crazy week. Interesting article on overall crazy FCS week. I knew Samford was going to drop this year, but not that bad. I knew we would be better. Mercer surprised me a little. Wofford is just batshyt crazy.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-week-one-recap-towson-montana-ajaj

i keep saying Mercer SCARES me. As PaladinFan said Bobby L can coach when he has a QB. And he has two ... HATE Furman schedule now because it appears we now play Georgia State who was supposed to be poor FBS and beat TENNESSEE! Then VTECH. THEN MERCER. we could be legit top 20 ( think we are ) and 1-3. It’s looking (per Mercer, Wofford and Samford) like our best/toughest games are all in a row. Next 3. Dang. Though I guess I don’t know much about ETSU and Citadel did a good job. Also, Wofford could change drastically. Maybe they go back to More option. What’s scary for Woff is they have FOURTEEN senior starters this year. Next year they are much younger

Sir William
September 1st, 2019, 11:48 AM
HATE Furman schedule now because it appears we now play Georgia State who was supposed to be poor FBS and beat TENNESSEE! Then VTECH. THEN MERCER. we could be legit top 20 ( think we are ) and 1-3.

Chill.

SU DOG
September 1st, 2019, 01:38 PM
i keep saying Mercer SCARES me. As PaladinFan said Bobby L can coach when he has a QB. And he has two ... HATE Furman schedule now because it appears we now play Georgia State who was supposed to be poor FBS and beat TENNESSEE! Then VTECH. THEN MERCER. we could be legit top 20 ( think we are ) and 1-3. It’s looking (per Mercer, Wofford and Samford) like our best/toughest games are all in a row. Next 3. Dang. Though I guess I don’t know much about ETSU and Citadel did a good job. Also, Wofford could change drastically. Maybe they go back to More option. What’s scary for Woff is they have FOURTEEN senior starters this year. Next year they are much younger

Samford included in that top 3? Unless our D makes an incredible turnaround, you could actually be more concerned with VMI.

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2019, 01:57 PM
Chill.

https://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/eeyores.jpg

Paladins beat GaSt soundly, steal one in Blacksburg, and, then ranked #1 in FCS; meet the Undefeated & Top 15 ranked Mercer Bears in an epic early season SoCon showdown on 9/21 at the foot of Paris Mountain!

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2019, 02:25 PM

I'm with Sir William on this. There's no point in overreacting after a Week 1 game.

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2019, 02:42 PM
Especially after week 1 where the Paladins looked like the best the SoCon has to offer right now. Regardless of outcome, the FBS games don’t really hurt you. You’ll be 1-0 in FCS competition with a decent win heading into the Mercer game no matter what.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2019, 03:24 PM
Especially after week 1 where the Paladins looked like the best the SoCon has to offer right now. Regardless of outcome, the FBS games don’t really hurt you. You’ll be 1-0 in FCS competition with a decent win heading into the Mercer game no matter what.

I saw everything I was looking to see out of Furman yesterday.

The Cats
September 1st, 2019, 03:32 PM
Any speculation on how much Wofford drops in the polls? They were in the top 10, so I expect they will remain somewhere in the high teens.....

gofurman
September 1st, 2019, 03:43 PM

The FBS actually do hurt you if you play TWO and thus leave yourself only 10 games - of which one is NAIA. thus we have 9 games v FCS. Say we win 8 games - 7 FCS and the NAIA. which is great. That’s 8-4 but only 7 D1 wins. Just sayin it’s possible. If we beat GSU or Mercer I’ll feel a LoT better !

blueGOldMOCS
September 1st, 2019, 03:53 PM
How do you think Furman will do against Georgia St?

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2019, 04:04 PM
How do you think Furman will do against Georgia St?

I think it will be a good scrap.

I watched some of the GSU/UT highlights. GSU looks like a good FCS team (perhaps a really good FCS team). Of course, I think Furman is a good FCS team too. I do not get the impression that GSU is going to physically push Furman around.

I think GSU's OC was a WCU last sason and their defensive staff has a lot of Wofford ties. So, I expect we will be familiar with what they will throw at us.

While GSU and their fans may look past Furman, I don't think the coaching staff, which has a lot of guys with SoCon ties, will.

BearDownMU
September 1st, 2019, 04:12 PM
I saw everything I was looking to see out of Furman yesterday.

In my case, I didn't see everything I wanted to see out of Mercer yesterday, and we still won big. So now I'm even more excited once we clean some things up.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2019, 04:16 PM
In my case, I didn't see everything I wanted to see out of Mercer yesterday, and we still won big. So now I'm even more excited once we clean some things up.

It's an odd score line. Riddle didn't have an overwhelming game (47% completion with a pick). Looking at the box score, it appears the Bears managed to score on quick plays - their longest scoring drive was, I think, 4 plays, until the last score (9 plays).

It's a bit odd to see 49 points with 14 first downs. Not sure if the quick scores says more about Mercer or more about WCU.

BearDownMU
September 1st, 2019, 04:38 PM
It's an odd score line. Riddle didn't have an overwhelming game (47% completion with a pick). Looking at the box score, it appears the Bears managed to score on quick plays - their longest scoring drive was, I think, 4 plays, until the last score (9 plays).

It's a bit odd to see 49 points with 14 first downs. Not sure if the quick scores says more about Mercer or more about WCU.

Lots of incompletions from throwing the ball away under duress and two bad drops. I just watched the replay. And we ran it really well.

But it was a weird day. We were either 3 and out or a bomb big score. Like I said, there are some things to clean up on offense, which I'm confident we will do (Riddle is just too good for that kind of day consistently). And, if so, I'm bullish on this season offensively.

Did the Furman game stream? I'd like to watch it

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2019, 07:13 PM
It was on ESPN+