PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating recommendations for the UD/Lehigh game?

kardplayer
August 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I've roped a crew of 22 into going to the Lehigh game at the Tub and am now responsible for setting up an appropriate tailgate - complete with adult beverages and Bobbies. All of my AGS brethren are welcome to stop by - even the Delaware fans ;)

I get the impression from the athletic office (who were truly super helpful BTW) that the parking lot isn't so great there and that we could have problems getting that kind of space.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to set this up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

89Hen
August 5th, 2005, 09:15 AM
I get the impression from the athletic office (who were truly super helpful BTW) that the parking lot isn't so great there and that we could have problems getting that kind of space.
The problem is that unless you have a spot in a reserved lot, you're never quite sure where you will park. If you get there early enough, you should be able to get a spot behind the pool (grey box in the map next to the baseball diamond) which IMO is a great lot. After that lot fills up then they start parking people on a lot that's a little bit more of a hike to the stadium, but still fine for tailgating (that lot is off the top right of the map).

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/images/nelsonmap.gif

GannonFan
August 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM
The reserved lots (around the stadium) are obviously taken, but there are plenty of lots around the area you can park in - there's a church at 2 and 896 which the Boy Scouts run - advantage here is that you can get out easy (closer to interstate), it's sometimes cheaper ($5-$10, the latter they charge on sellouts and the like so they'll probably charge that) - the advantage too is that you can park anywhere when you get in - get in early enough and you can park cars together. If you park in lots controlled by the university often they park you in rows so it might be tough to string together a few cars. Not surprised the ticket office couldn't do much - they sell the passes for reserved lots, after that, it's a dog eat dog world.

bluehenbillk
August 5th, 2005, 10:11 AM
If you want everyone to park together you're going to have to arrive together. Tailgating happens everywhere though. The largest public lot is in that grey area right off 896 in front of the Bob. I would recommend that you arrive no later than 5:00pm, otherwise you risk the lots being full & closed.

henfan
August 5th, 2005, 10:45 AM
The problem isn't that the parking lots aren't great, it's that they're completly filled. There's a 5 year wait for those wanting parking passes.

As suggested, get there early enough (say, 3-ish) and you should have no problem getting into the lots in front of the Rust Ice Arena. And don't forget to call Cappriotti's well in advance to order those Bobbies!

89Hen
August 5th, 2005, 10:51 AM
:lmao: Have we really helped kard? We've advised him to park in four different lots already.

89 - park behind the pool
Gannon - park in the church lot
billk - park next to the Bob
henfan - park in front of the ice rink

I guess that is actually pretty darn accurate. Park wherever you can when you get there. :D

henfan
August 5th, 2005, 11:00 AM
You're right, 89. :) He can't say we didn't give him any ideas though.

colgate13
August 5th, 2005, 11:10 AM
The problem isn't that the parking lots aren't great, it's that they're completly filled. There's a 5 year wait for those wanting parking passes.

Problem?!?!? Excuse me while I go dry my eyes... 90% of I-AA would KILL for that problem! :p

RadMann
August 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM
While the athletics complex has grown a lot in terms of buildings, the available space for parking and tailgating has obviously fallen as a result. Back before the early 90's all of that land where the Carpenter Center and further back from the stadium was used for football parking. It was cool because you'd park on the grass which was great for throwing around a football at the tailgate (not that any of this information helps the guy from Lehigh decide where to park)...

kardplayer
August 5th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Actually, your (multiple) suggestions backed up exactly what the athletic office said. Plus, he added that when it rains, some of the parking isn't used.

A few of us are staying at the Homewood Suites across the street - we may tailgate in that parking lot :)

FightinBluHen51
August 15th, 2005, 07:37 AM
There's also the train station across the street from the Athletic Complex/Girl Scouts. Get there early enough (like 2:30, 3PM) and you should be fine.