PDA

View Full Version : NCCAA VA-Lynchburg Will Play 10 Road Games

Laker
July 27th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Virginia-Lynchburg will play ten road games, seven of them against FCS schools. They are a NCCAA team and are ineligible to belong to the NCAA or the NAIA. How does a team like this get on an FCS schedule- especially seven of them?

https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/cib15l/nccaa_school_virginialynchburg_will_play_10_road/ (https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/cib15l/nccaa_school_virginialynchburg_will_play_10_road/)

taper
July 27th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Yeah, but look at which FCS schools are scheduled. They sell themselves to bigger teams for a paycheck, this is just the same thing the other direction. The comments in the article say Virginia-Lynchburg is a NCAA counter just like NAIA or D2 so it's less bad than first appearance. No different than a SWAC team playing at an SEC.

JacksFan40
July 27th, 2019, 10:19 AM
They play a club team as well, Middle Georgia State. Man that’s gonna be a huge difference for them to play a club team with guys who probably didn’t even start in high school to going up against FCS teams, even if they’re not great ones it’s still D1.

lionsrking2
July 27th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Virginia-Lynchburg will play ten road games, seven of them against FCS schools. They are a NCCAA team and are ineligible to belong to the NCAA or the NAIA. How does a team like this get on an FCS schedule- especially seven of them?

https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/cib15l/nccaa_school_virginialynchburg_will_play_10_road/ (https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/cib15l/nccaa_school_virginialynchburg_will_play_10_road/)

Why does it matter?

Laker
July 27th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Why does it matter?

It should to the FCS team's fans. I've seen mismatches like that- they go to running time for the second half. An intrasquad scrimmage would be more competitive. The only other school that has football that isn't NCAA or NAIA affiliated is Trinity Bible College in Ellendale, ND. They were the last team to give up more than a hundred points in a game in the last thirty years- 103-0 to Rockford in 2003. They also played in a double header game against Northwestern of St. Paul, who beat them 59-0 back in 2005 before Northwestern polished off Macalester 47-14. At least Northwestern is a D3 school.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=2185866

clenz
July 27th, 2019, 11:13 AM
They play a majority of their schedule against FCS teams, make them poll eligible

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
July 27th, 2019, 11:56 AM
They play a majority of their schedule against FCS teams, make them poll eligible

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nope. We never used to do it that way so we can’t change now.

lionsrking2
July 27th, 2019, 03:24 PM
It should to the FCS team's fans. I've seen mismatches like that- they go to running time for the second half. An intrasquad scrimmage would be more competitive. The only other school that has football that isn't NCAA or NAIA affiliated is Trinity Bible College in Ellendale, ND. They were the last team to give up more than a hundred points in a game in the last thirty years- 103-0 to Rockford in 2003. They also played in a double header game against Northwestern of St. Paul, who beat them 59-0 back in 2005 before Northwestern polished off Macalester 47-14. At least Northwestern is a D3 school.

With all due respect, I dont think the average fan cares who they play, especially schools that dont have playoff implications on the line. They get to tailgate, eat/drink and socialize with old and new friends, and watch the alma mater blowout an opponent.

bonarae
July 27th, 2019, 08:16 PM
Should the SWAC go Ivy and schedule only 10 games but with bye weeks? They seem to run out of opponents... xchinscratchx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Laker
July 29th, 2019, 06:49 AM
Included is a list of school opponents that the NCAA doesn't count as wins.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/CountOppDefinition.pdf

Panther88
July 29th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Should the SWAC go Ivy and schedule only 10 games but with bye weeks? They seem to run out of opponents... xchinscratchx

Not sure if you're attempting to smack or decently serious. xconfusedx

PVAMU has OOC slates vs 1 G5-FBS(univ of houston); 1 FCS conf predicted champion (Nicholls St); 1 NAIA (EWCU); and Va-L was added at the last moment for a home contest where we are decently front-end travel unfriendly.

Of our first 6 games, only 1 is @ PVAMU (Nicholls St). There are 2 in Houston and 1 in Dallas during that same stretch so those are our 2nd homes, so to speak. Immediately after the first 5, Va-L visits the home turf as our HC'ing opponent.

GAD
July 29th, 2019, 03:27 PM

In most cases we (Southern U) are looking for teams that don't expect return games, if we wanted to do home and homes we could

hktribefan
July 31st, 2019, 04:21 AM
It's a great add if you're looking for another excuse to get everyone together for another Saturday of tailgating, band, etc. Doesn't do much else, but great for just that.

PAllen
July 31st, 2019, 07:55 AM
For most of our fan bases, who we play is irrelevant. Heck, in the NE, most of our potential fan bases don't even know if there's a game on Saturday.

bjtheflamesfan
July 31st, 2019, 10:01 AM
This is my first appearance on these parts since Liberty went FBS, but as someone who spent quite a bit of time in Lynchburg, I thought Id comment.

While I am surprised to see them playing 10 road games this year, I hope that they are being justly compensated for what will be a whole lot of mega routs over these 10 games

OhioHen
July 31st, 2019, 10:44 AM
For most of our fan bases, who we play is irrelevant. Heck, in the NE, most of our potential fan bases don't even know if there's a game on Saturday.

Can you really call it a "fan" base if they don't know whether there's a game or not?

PAllen
July 31st, 2019, 12:33 PM
Can you really call it a "fan" base if they don't know whether there's a game or not?

thus the "potential"

Panther88
July 31st, 2019, 04:03 PM

They are our sacrificial homecoming opponent. Our campus is jam-packed HC'ing week and the stadium is > ~95+% at capacity, if the drunks in the 3,000 RVs can locate the stadium lol.

We did 14.2K for HC'ing fall 2018. Our stadium seats 15K.

hebmskebm
July 31st, 2019, 06:17 PM
Merrimack, a school in Massachusetts, is playing both NCCAA Virginia-Lynchburg and and NAIA Mayville State of North Dakota at home in the month of September.

It's always been funny to me how those transition years before a school is fully a member of a new division or conference can lead to the wildest, most offbeat scheduling.

Teams that would likely never play each other in a million years under regular circumstances get thrown together out of necessity xlolx

Laker
July 31st, 2019, 06:26 PM
Merrimack, a school in Massachusetts, is playing both NCCAA Virginia-Lynchburg and and NAIA Mayville State of North Dakota at home in the month of September.

It's always been funny to me how those transition years before a school is fully a member of a new division or conference can lead to the wildest, most offbeat scheduling.

Teams that would likely never play each other in a million years under regular circumstances get thrown together out of necessity xlolx

2009- University of Sioux Falls beats North Dakota (FCS) 28-13. Cougars go on to win the NAIA national title. They joined the D2 NSIC in 2012.

Missingnumber7
August 9th, 2019, 09:35 PM

I played for the coach of the Northwestern team.

The interesting part about the clock in college is that both coaches have to agree to shorten the game. There is no running clock in college fb.

Laker
August 9th, 2019, 09:56 PM
I played for the coach of the Northwestern team.

The interesting part about the clock in college is that both coaches have to agree to shorten the game. There is no running clock in college fb.

Kirk Talley? I worked a basketball camp in Dupree, SD with him years ago.

2005 at Mankato.

SEP 1 (THU) OKLAHOMA PANHANDLE STATE W,63-7

SEP 6 (THU) VS PERU STATE W, 70-0

2007 at Mankato. I was at both games. They announced that they would go running time for the fourth quarter.

DeltaDevil662
August 13th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Not sure if you're attempting to smack or decently serious. xconfusedx

PVAMU has OOC slates vs 1 G5-FBS(univ of houston); 1 FCS conf predicted champion (Nicholls St); 1 NAIA (EWCU); and Va-L was added at the last moment for a home contest where we are decently front-end travel unfriendly.

Of our first 6 games, only 1 is @ PVAMU (Nicholls St). There are 2 in Houston and 1 in Dallas during that same stretch so those are our 2nd homes, so to speak. Immediately after the first 5, Va-L visits the home turf as our HC'ing opponent.

Looking at our first 4 games (AT Tennessee State, AT Lamar, Bethune (annual MEAC favorite), AT Alcorn), a team like VUL is needed

PV and Valley should easily handle VUL but as shown last year when VUL handled D2 FVSU 31-14 for their HC, they are not just coming for a check.

JSUSoutherner
August 14th, 2019, 08:54 AM
Looking at our first 4 games (AT Tennessee State, AT Lamar, Bethune (annual MEAC favorite), AT Alcorn), a team like VUL is needed

PV and Valley should easily handle VUL but as shown last year when VUL handled D2 FVSU 31-14 for their HC, they are not just coming for a check.

Honestly, I'm not sure MVSU could handle 11 folding chairs.

clenz
August 14th, 2019, 11:43 AM
The depth difference got to MVSU at UND last year...but I'm telling you as someone that watched that whole game MVSU was the better team against UND for at least a quarter if not quarter and a half.

I'm not sure which team that says more about, TBH, but it's the truth.

DeltaDevil662
August 20th, 2019, 06:42 AM

Too bad no one on the HBCU side gives a damn what you think

I'm glad this is a new year so we don't have to worry about you clowns whining and crying about losing to A&T and how this wasn't your best team despite sucking off SEC schools for transfers but not one national title to show for it

JSUSoutherner
August 20th, 2019, 07:43 AM
Too bad no one on the HBCU side gives a damn what you think

I'm glad this is a new year so we don't have to worry about you clowns whining and crying about losing to A&T and how this wasn't your best team despite sucking off SEC schools for transfers but not one national title to show for it

Lol. You talk a big game for a fan of a team that we beat 71-0.

When's the last time you guys won three games?

clenz
August 20th, 2019, 08:16 AM

bitch