Schism55
July 19th, 2019, 10:46 AM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1152241675596705793

Mocs123
July 19th, 2019, 10:59 AM
I wish it was for four games.

POD Knows
July 19th, 2019, 11:06 AM
It should be for the year, this is a slap on the wrist.

Daytripper
July 19th, 2019, 11:24 AM

Agree. If he was a backup and not an all-American he would be off the team.

kdinva
July 19th, 2019, 11:29 AM
Agree. If he was a backup and not an all-American he would be off the team.

+1

CenMEBlackBearFan
July 19th, 2019, 11:42 AM

I have to agree after reading what he did to the girl and how domestic violence is viewed I would call this a slap on the wrist. Maine has had some tragic domestic abuse cases over the years and now even if found not guilty in the criminal court system you can almost guarantee the Code of Conduct Committee will have you looking for another school as was the case with RB Ramon Jefferson. Almost seems like the pendulum as swung to far the other way.

clenz
July 19th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Target his knees...every single play...the personal foul penalties are worth it.

POD Knows
July 19th, 2019, 11:54 AM
I have to agree after reading what he did to the girl and how domestic violence is viewed I would call this a slap on the wrist. Maine has had some tragic domestic abuse cases over the years and now even if found not guilty in the criminal court system you can almost guarantee the Code of Conduct Committee will have you looking for another school as was the case with RB Ramon Jefferson. Almost seems like the pendulum as swung to far the other way.Yea, if he had been found not guilty, I would support his ability to play the year out without suspension. He got a year probation out of this deal, maybe they should be suspended for as long as the probation period or something.

TheKingpin28
July 19th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Agree. If he was a backup and not an all-American he would be off the team.This is on point. How can anyone see the evidence and support the decision they came to? JMU admin had an opportunity to make it clear that these acts will not be tolerated and instead, they gave him a slap on the wrist and said "dont do it again..."

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

clenz
July 19th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Just so everyone is clear I want the facts of the case - as agreed upon in every article I've seen and straight from the court - out there

The facts of the case are:

1. He locked her in a bathroom and wouldn't let her leave
2. He bent her over a sink, shoved her head in a sink, used all his force to keep her pinned against the sink
3. He tried to rape her...sorry "tried to have indecent contact with her" according to the official statement.
4. When he was unable to rape her (for whatever reason...from the sounds of it he couldn't get his little buddy to cooperate) he got pissed and then
5. He threw her in the shower and turned the water on - and I'm assuming it wasn't a nice relaxing shower temp either. - her and wouldn't let her leave the shower....Which is a very common tactic in attempted rape cases where the male couldn't get his little buddy to work. He gets pissed, takes it out on the girl and uses it as a reason for more aggression towards them.

The ****er should be in jail. Not on a ****ing football roster.

I don't wish injury on anyone - I hope he suffers the worst pain he can experience while on the field.

On top of all of this the incident happened in June 2017.

He played all of 2017 and 2018 after being arrested and charged on these things.

A 3 game suspension - WVU and 2 cupcakes - is a horrific suspension.

Reign of Terrier
July 19th, 2019, 01:06 PM
Just so everyone is clear I want the facts of the case - as agreed upon in every article I've seen and straight from the court - out there

2. He bent her over a sink, shoved her head in a sink, used all his force to keep her pinned against the sink
3. He tried to rape her...sorry "tried to have indecent contact with her" according to the official statement.
4. When he was unable to rape her (for whatever reason...from the sounds of it he couldn't get his little buddy to cooperate) he got pissed and then
5. He threw her in the shower and turned the water on - and I'm assuming it wasn't a nice relaxing shower temp either. - her and wouldn't let her leave the shower....Which is a very common tactic in attempted rape cases where the male couldn't get his little buddy to work. He gets pissed, takes it out on the girl and uses it as a reason for more aggression towards them.

I don't wish injury on anyone - I hope he suffers the worst pain he can experience while on the field.

He played all of 2017 and 2018 after being arrested and charged on these things.

Yikes, I hadn't heard #2-5

Without hearing 2-5 I thought minor punishment was sufficient, but now I don't believe that.

Daytripper
July 19th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Hammer the JMU twitter account..https://twitter.com/JMUSports

Redbird 4th & short
July 19th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Does this "false imprisonment" plea deal infer the assault did not happen as a matter his official record ??

Not letting her leave, just so he could assault her .. the assault is the serious crime here, right. If he doesn't let her leave for exact same period of time and never assaults her, this probably never becomes news, much less an arrest ... maybe campus gossip. 3 games for "not letting a girl leave bathroom for 15 minutes" seems fair - this probably happens on some level at most frat parties. But not letting the girl leave bathroom so you can assault and attempt rape ??

Prosecutors should be ashamed of this plea deal and someone needs to ook at closer to determine why. My original question ... does this infer nothing about the assault on his record ? And then is this why they only suspended him for 3 games ... since no assault is reflected.

knit35
July 19th, 2019, 02:55 PM
This is my opinion and may not be popular with other JMU supporters, but I am disappointed in the suspension. I felt as though this was an opportunity for Coach Cig and JMU Admin to send a firm message and clear message around not accepting this type of behavior. Ill be the first to admit I do not understand all of the details of what transpired nor do most people, however 3 games is simply not enough. Riley is a valuable asset and I'm glad he is apart of the team at JMU, I just have a hard time reconciling what was reported that took place and only a 3 game suspension. Half the year in my mind was the minimal, I expected and truly I thought he would be removed from the team.

I hope he learns a lesson and adjusts but I find this disappointing.

Mocs123
July 19th, 2019, 04:12 PM
And we had two players kicked off the team because they failed drug tests.

In 2012? our leading rusher (Keon Williams) was suspended from the team for one year due to the fact that he was arrested for pot. SEC schools might have suspended a kid for a game. That suspension cost us a playoff spot (IMO) as we couldn't run the ball without him.

BDKJMU
July 20th, 2019, 11:05 AM

Wrong. No one other than Stapleton and the woman know what the facts of the case are, and they might not even know the facts, just what they remember. These are the facts:
-The incident occurred at a late night house party.
-There were reportedly only 2 people present in the bathroom, Stapleton and the woman, no other witnesses.
-Both were at some level of intoxication.
-She claimed what she stated in the police report, he claimed he was drunk.

A he said/she said between 2 people at some level of intoxication with no physical evidence of a crime. Those are the only ‘facts’ WE know. Yet you have a bunch of armchair legal analysts on here claiming the punishment should be ‘X’ based off limited facts that have been reported in the press.

POD Knows
July 20th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Wrong. No one other than Stapleton and the woman know what the facts of the case are, and they might not even know the facts, just what they remember. These are the facts:
-There were reportedly only 2 people present in the bathroom, Stapleton and the woman, no other witnesses.

A he said/she said between 2 people at some level of intoxication with no physical evidence of a crime. Those are the only ‘facts’ WE know. Yet you have a bunch of armchair legal analysts on here claiming the punishment should be ‘X’ based off limited facts that have been reported in the press.He got a year's worth of probation, he would be off the team for a year and I get the he said/she said deal but he plead no contest to it so it doesn't really matter what might have happened, he basically copped to it, the punishment needs to be more severe.

Professor Chaos
July 20th, 2019, 11:21 AM

A he said/she said between 2 people at some level of intoxication with no physical evidence of a crime. Those are the only ‘facts’ WE know. Yet you have a bunch of armchair legal analysts on here claiming the punishment should be ‘X’ based off limited facts that have been reported in the press.

He got a year's worth of probation, he would be off the team for a year and I get the he said/she said deal but he plead no contest to it so it doesn't really matter what might have happened, he basically copped to it, the punishment needs to be more severe.
Yeah, it sounds like only a "she said" to me. All he said from what I've seen is that he blacked out so they either weren't at the same level of intoxication or he's lying and remembers more than he claims.

Was this a plea deal? It seems to me like the DA probably could've gone after him a lot harder but due to the alleged victim also being inebriated and the lack of physical evidence I wonder if it was a plea deal for false imprisonment to avoid a more serious charge.

POD Knows
July 20th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Yeah, it sounds like only a "she said" to me. All he said from what I've seen is that he blacked out so they either weren't at the same level of intoxication or he's lying and remembers more than he claims.

Was this a plea deal? It seems to me like the DA probably could've gone after him a lot harder but due to the alleged victim also being inebriated and the lack of physical evidence I wonder if it was a plea deal for false imprisonment to avoid a more serious charge.Yea, he claims he doesn't remember anything, did he actually deny what happened? This is a serious question as I don't know.

clenz
July 20th, 2019, 11:28 AM

Was this a plea deal? It seems to me like the DA probably could've gone after him a lot harder but due to the alleged victim also being inebriated and the lack of physical evidence I wonder if it was a plea deal for false imprisonment to avoid a more serious charge.I have a guess as to why this case got "resolved" the way it did.

Take a look at Riley's JMU profile photo and it will answer a lot of questions.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

SUPharmacist
July 20th, 2019, 11:35 AM
He got a year's worth of probation, he would be off the team for a year and I get the he said/she said deal but he plead no contest to it so it doesn't really matter what might have happened, he basically copped to it, the punishment needs to be more severe.

This. I realize a no contest plea can be the right legal decision for someone who is not guilty to avoid further legal fees and risks of a conviction. However, if an individual chooses that route part of the decision involves the risks to other areas of your life. If I were an employer or organization he was a member of the least I could do is suspend you for the year the legal system found appropriate, and likely would decide you aren't worth the hassle and remove you from the organization. Every business and school handles these scenarios differently, but I would be very disappointed if my employer or school took this action. Hopefully, for the sake of the victim all that happened was what Clenz labeled as point 1, but that is bad enough.

POD Knows
July 20th, 2019, 11:40 AM
I have a guess as to why this case got "resolved" the way it did.

Take a look at Riley's JMU profile photo and it will answer a lot of questions.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TapatalkOh gee, please enlighten us.

cx500d
July 20th, 2019, 01:11 PM
This is my opinion and may not be popular with other JMU supporters, but I am disappointed in the suspension. I felt as though this was an opportunity for Coach Cig and JMU Admin to send a firm message and clear message around not accepting this type of behavior. Ill be the first to admit I do not understand all of the details of what transpired nor do most people, however 3 games is simply not enough. Riley is a valuable asset and I'm glad he is apart of the team at JMU, I just have a hard time reconciling what was reported that took place and only a 3 game suspension. Half the year in my mind was the minimal, I expected and truly I thought he would be removed from the team.

I hope he learns a lesson and adjusts but I find this disappointing.

Good post knit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whoanellie
July 20th, 2019, 04:04 PM
I concur although this was not on Cignetti's watch however it does send a solid message that the status quo of the JMU program is one of an open door of potential talent over trumps a culture that I am sure Dolly Madison would NOT be thrilled. It is sad that these young men just do not get it alcohol abuse is a root cause to a lot of society ills. off my soapbox.
Good post knit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk