PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Washington may get a new fan

AZBison
April 27th, 2007, 01:12 AM
I just got word that I was accepted into Gonzaga's Law School... I'm not sure I can afford it but if I go I'll have to make it to some of the games. I'll still have to root for the Bison first (and the Sun Devils) but it can't hurt to root for EWU as well. So what's the outlook this season?

Also, any info about GU's Law School reputation would be welcome

dbackjon
April 27th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Congrats!!

No info on GU Law School thought...

April 27th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I'm your helper... xnodx
... it can't hurt to root for EWU as well. So what's the outlook this season?... The direct link to the prospectus, which includes a spring football roster breakdown, is:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ewas/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/07fbprospectus.pdf
“BECOMING A TEAM AND LEARNING TOGETHER” IS THE FOCUS FOR EAGLES AS THEY HOPE TO BLEND COLLECTION OF EXPERIENCE AND INEXPERIENCE WITH COACHING CHANGES

Introductions won’t be necessary, but togetherness is on the mind of Eastern Washington University head football coach Paul Wulff as the Eagles open spring football practice on April 9.

“I think the focus is becoming a team and learning together,” said Wulff, who is entering his eighth season at the helm. “We have to come together as coaches and players and create a stronger bond. Working together as much as we can is critical. We need to set our goals in front of us and move ahead.”

The Eagles will welcome back 47 letter winners from last year’s 3-8 squad when practices begin on April 9, culminating in the annual Red-White Game on May 5 at 2 p.m. at Woodward Field in Cheney, Wash. During that four-week stretch, Eastern will practice Mondays (except April 30), Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2:50 p.m.

Besides the Red-White game, public scrimmages will take place on Friday, April 13 (4 p.m.), Friday, April 20 (3:30 p.m.) and Saturday, April 28 (11 a.m.).

New coaches joining the Eastern program include offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Todd Sturdy and running backs coach Chris Peterson. Veteran EWU coaches with new assignments include Joe Wade (wide receivers), Jody Sears (defensive ends) and Jeff Schmedding (safeties).

“The x’s and o’s are great, but we have some new coaches on board and we have to get everybody up to speed,” said Wulff. “There are a few positions that have to adjust to some new faces and new coaches. But our core beliefs on how to win football games are not going to change.”

Eastern will use the spring to experiment a bit offensively and defensively in hopes of improving on both sides of the ball. The Eagles averaged 310.3 yards of offense a year ago (down 167.7 yards per game from the previous year) and allowed 370.5 on defense (up 7.3 yards per game).

“There are some things we’re going to try in the spring that we are going to like or not like, and either throw out or keep as we move into the fall,” Wulff explained. “We want to look at a few different things and evaluate our players. We want to see who has improved the most and start thinking about where we can put players on the field where we can have success.”

Although there are 14 starters returning -- eight on offense and six on defense -- Wulff expects lots of competition for positions.

“There is always competition and there should be,” he said. “We have to continue to play the kids who are doing the best and playing the best. The team deserves to have the best players out there as often as they can. But there are also roles to be filled.”

Fortunately for EWU, the number of players who will be held out of spring drills for injury purposes is minimal. Offensive lineman Julian Stewart will sit out the spring because of off-season knee surgery. Running back Dale Morris (foot) and safety Gregor Smith (shoulder) are expected to participate in practices but will probably be held out of contact drills.

Fresno St. Alum
April 27th, 2007, 02:01 AM
congats, and I will join you as an E.Washington fan for 4 days when I use their avatar somewhere down the road

Mr. C
April 27th, 2007, 02:01 AM
EWU was pretty awful last year after losing Payton Award winning QB Erik Meyer and stud receiver Eric Kimble among others. But after a dreadful year, they've got a lot coming back and should be a much improved team this season. I'd see the Eagles being middle of the pack in the Big Sky, winning five or six games total. EWU needs development from its QBs and better play out of its offensive line. The Eagles also need to cut down on turnovers.

GannonFan
April 27th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Cool, you can go to Eastern Washington football games, catch the occassional Washington St football game, and get to go to Gonzaga basketball in the Winter - not bad at all.

CCU97
April 27th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I just got word that I was accepted into Gonzaga's Law School... I'm not sure I can afford it but if I go I'll have to make it to some of the games. I'll still have to root for the Bison first (and the Sun Devils) but it can't hurt to root for EWU as well. So what's the outlook this season?

Unlike the many who have posted...I have no clue about the football outlook for EWU...However, I work for a law school here in Atlanta and can tell you Gonzaga has a good reputation among other law schools. Congratulations. I will warn you off the bat...the first year is pure hell but it gets better after that. As for being able to afford it....even if you don't get a scholarship there are ways to pay for it....The Stafford loan can get you $20,500 per year until you reach you maximum amount of $138,500 for all degrees.....you also have the Graduate PLUS loan or an Alternative Loan that can pay the remaining cost of attendance. Make sure to stay in constant contact with the Financial Aid Office and they will walk you through things.If this is what you want it is possible....Congratulations again!

appfan2008
April 27th, 2007, 08:58 AM
that is a great little college area if you got gonzaga, wa st, and ewu in the same area...

james_lawfirm
April 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM

AZBison:
I have no info on EWU football or GU's Law School. But, I do have some advice on Law School in general. I went to Wake Forest Law School, graduating in 2005. As another poster said, the first year of law school is truly difficult beyond belief. Once you get past that, the next two are not too bad. Just hang in there, and give it your best shot. Just realize that the first year will be tough. It seemed to me that it was not so much that the law school was trying to weed out those who could not handle it (that was already done with their applications process) as to weed out those who really did not want to do all the work required. Those who will leave probably will not "fail" out, rather they probably will just quit.

Anyway, hang in there. Get to as many football games as you can (which may not be many), and good luck!

DetroitFlyer
April 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawrank_tier3_brief.php

Rated as a tier 3 according to US News and World Reports. Not sure I agree with their law school rankings as Dayton is rated as a tier 4xconfusedx .

GannonFan
April 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM
And.....it's only 205 miles to Washington Grizzlydomxthumbsupx

Which, I take it, in Western terms is practically just down the street!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Marcus Garvey
April 27th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Go Wildcats! xsmiley_wix
I'm an Arizona football season ticket holder. I do like the Sun Devils. The only time I root against them is when they play Arizona.
Incidently, what do you think of this early Dec. date for the game? I always like the Thanksgiving weekend date myself.

CCU97
April 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM
DF...I know what you mean....The rating levels US News and World Report have very little to do with the education you actually receive and more to do with name recognition and then factors that really don't matter....

Marcus Garvey
April 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM
DF...I know what you mean....The rating levels US News and World Report have very little to do with the education you actually receive and more to do with name recognition and then factors that really don't matter....

I'd say they do matter. They shouldn't, but they do. A degree from a "name brand" school gives you a foot in the door. When scanning resumes of college grads, the Princetons and Harvards will get noticed before the Wright States and Edinboros. It's after you've been out of school several years that experience counts more than where you got your undergrad degree.

Is that fair? Hell no, but it's reality. U.S. News' rankings merely reflect the reality of the situation.

andy7171
April 27th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Which, I take it, in Western terms is practically just down the street!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx
My thoughts exactly! xlolx xlolx

eagle1
April 27th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the inland northwest! I am glad to hear that you are planning on taking in some games at EWU. With Washington State Football and Gonzaga Basketball we need all the fans that we can get. EWU is consistantly improving their game day atmosphere each year and is currently fundraising to renovate their facilities. We average approximately 7,500 a game and have small but decent tailgating section.

As far as GU Law School, it is top notch but I can't stand GU in general so that was hard for me to say anything positive about them. Spokane is a awesome city with many unique places to eat as well as a decent night life. I am more of an outdoorsman and if you love to fish you will be overwhelmed by the number of lakes in the area with lots of troutxthumbsupx . It is a good place to live and work and I am sure that you will enjoy your time here. Once again, welcome to the inland northwest and to EWU football. Go Eagles!!!

CCU97
April 27th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'd say they do matter. They shouldn't, but they do. A degree from a "name brand" school gives you a foot in the door. When scanning resumes of college grads, the Princetons and Harvards will get noticed before the Wright States and Edinboros. It's after you've been out of school several years that experience counts more than where you got your undergrad degree.

Is that fair? Hell no, but it's reality. U.S. News' rankings merely reflect the reality of the situation.

Read what I typed....is part of what law school teaches....critical reading....and then factors...not and other factors that don't matter....

Name recognition is huge!

DetroitFlyer
April 27th, 2007, 12:00 PM
My sister is a proud grad of Edinboro, and is now a Vice President for her company and doing extremely well. I did not want her to go to Edinboro because I figured that she would never get a job. ( I studied Chemical Engineering at Dayton and she studied Communication at Edinboro ). Let's just say that now she is a VP and I am not.... ( LOL )! I think that graduating from a truly elite university, think Ivy, Stanford, etc. versus most other schools is an advantage, but the truth is once you have that first job, you make or break your own success. And just to keep this "football related", GO FOOTBALL FLYERS!!

AZBison
April 27th, 2007, 12:22 PM
thanks for all the info guys. As I said it's not set in stone, but it's porbable. I am going to commit but I will wait for the financial situation to clear up before I attend. I am getting a 5k scolly from GU and I'm sure I can get some grants from the fed but I won't know for sure until this summer.

Marcus Garvey
April 27th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Read what I typed....is part of what law school teaches....critical reading....and then factors...not and other factors that don't matter....

Name recognition is huge!

F#$% that! Who wants too? xsmiley_wix
My bad, I thought you meant undergrad anyway. What sane person wants to go to law school? :D

CCU97
April 27th, 2007, 01:01 PM
thanks for all the info guys. As I said it's not set in stone, but it's porbable. I am going to commit but I will wait for the financial situation to clear up before I attend. I am getting a 5k scolly from GU and I'm sure I can get some grants from the fed but I won't know for sure until this summer.

At the graduate level there are no grants from the feds....there are fellowships and scholarships available...the vast majority of scholarships are from the school or different non-proffits.

AZBison
April 27th, 2007, 03:18 PM
At the graduate level there are no grants from the feds....there are fellowships and scholarships available...the vast majority of scholarships are from the school or different non-proffits.
Well, that blows.

CCU97
April 27th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Yep I know.....but if you work with their Financial Aid office they will help you find them....Plus there are lots of employers who will pay back the loans for you if you work for them X number of years....and most states have a loan repayment program for Prosecutors and some for state DA's.

Ground&Pound
May 29th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Congrats!

NoDak 4 Ever
May 29th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Congratulations on law school

Condolences on having to live in Spokane.

gotts
May 29th, 2014, 12:43 PM
holy thread resurrection, batman

NoDak 4 Ever
May 29th, 2014, 12:44 PM
holy thread resurrection, batman

Heh! Didn't even notice. Must be the links on the bottom under the new format. A lot of old threads get referenced there.

Ground&Pound
May 29th, 2014, 12:45 PM
LOL. What's wrong with Spokane?

Nickels
May 29th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Serial old thread bumper strikes again
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?68394-Does-Eastern-Washington-Really-Need-Red-Turf&p=2111576#post2111576

NoDak 4 Ever
May 29th, 2014, 02:14 PM

It reminded me of the worlds largest Wal Mart.

centennial
May 29th, 2014, 03:43 PM
He went to EWU for law in 2007. 7 years later you remember to congratulate him? Bravo.

Ground&Pound
May 29th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Wow, you girls from North Dakakootie really get your panties ruffled fast! Thanks for the welcome.

clenz
May 29th, 2014, 04:18 PM
I smell a troll hiding in EWU clothing.

EWU is as far from ground and pound as it gets. No EWU fan would use that.

Nickels
May 29th, 2014, 04:22 PM

It's probably beagle/ruger. He would use that.

Ground&Pound
May 29th, 2014, 04:27 PM

EWU has a fantastic running QB, a Frosh from last season at RB that is playing great, and is very near signing an All American RB / DB from the Fresno area to go with the All American OL they just signed. Then there's Cooper Kupp at WR. There's no troll hiding anywhere. It's a fact they will run the ball very effectively on anyone they play. That program will be in the Championship hunt for years to come and the offense will be as close to unstoppable as it comes. Baldwin does a great job with his team.

Nickels
May 29th, 2014, 04:31 PM
EWU has a fantastic running QB, a Frosh from last season at RB that is playing great, and is very near signing an All American RB / DB from the Fresno area to go with the All American OL they just signed. Then there's Cooper Kupp at WR. There's no troll hiding anywhere. It's a fact they will run the ball very effectively on anyone they play. That program will be in the Championship hunt for years to come and the offense will be as close to unstoppable as it comes. Baldwin does a great job with his team.
LOL ok definitely a troll. You forgot top notch D.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 29th, 2014, 11:30 PM
EWU fans put the douche in douchebag, their fan base is like a really methed out trailer park but dumber and more white trashy.

Ground&Pound
May 30th, 2014, 01:39 PM
LOL ok definitely a troll. You forgot top notch D.
I missed the part where you actually picked something to disagree with... Go ahead cough it out so I can really see what you call the facts. Adams can't run? Kupp doesn't help open up the run game? Their Frosh RB wasn't any good? They aren't about to bring in a great recruiting class of 2015 grads?

Is all this negative energy being directed at them because they are ranked #1 in the pre season polls?

Ground&Pound
May 30th, 2014, 01:49 PM
EWU fans put the douche in douchebag, their fan base is like a really methed out trailer park but dumber and more white trashy.

That's funny. I noticed the same thing when they were jumping up and down and wooting and hollering last season when they beat Oregon State!

I bet it will even be worse this season when they open up the ESPN college schedule Week 1

centennial
May 30th, 2014, 01:58 PM
That's funny. I noticed the same thing when they were jumping up and down and wooting and hollering last season when they beat Oregon State!

I bet it will even be worse this season when they open up the ESPN college schedule Week 1
Are you going to be mad when you lose to SHSU again?

Ground&Pound
May 30th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Are you going to be mad when you lose to SHSU again?

Not at all if they can handle EWU they deserve whatever credit they get. It wont be easy. They are ranked #1 for a reason.
I actually just started following EWU since they have one of about a dozen former players playing in the NCAA right now. Looking over their schedule I don't see any game on their they can't win with the roster they are putting together. In 2015, I think they can win a National Championship. Two of California's top prep athletes are in the process of signing with them and most the studs in the program will still be there. If the coaching staff stays at EWU with the talent they have they will make noise.

Nickels
May 30th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Not at all if they can handle EWU they deserve whatever credit they get. It wont be easy. They are ranked #1 for a reason.
I actually just started following EWU since they have one of about a dozen former players playing in the NCAA right now. Looking over their schedule I don't see any game on their they can't win with the roster they are putting together. In 2015, I think they can win a National Championship. Two of California's top prep athletes are in the process of signing with them and most the studs in the program will still be there. If the coaching staff stays at EWU with the talent they have they will make noise.
They've handled them the past 2 years, rushing for a ridiculous 868 yards. What has EWU done to solve this glaring issue? It's cost them a trip to NC the past two years. If they cant stop the run, they wont win a title. It's that simple.

Ground&Pound
May 30th, 2014, 03:33 PM
They've handled them the past 2 years, rushing for a ridiculous 868 yards. What has EWU done to solve this glaring issue? It's cost them a trip to NC the past two years. If they cant stop the run, they wont win a title. It's that simple.

That makes sense. As prolific as the EWU offense will be you have to play defense to win it all. Week 1 will be a great opportunity to see what is what.

344Johnson
May 30th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Does this guy really think EWU is getting top California athletes?

centennial
May 30th, 2014, 03:48 PM
If you are a fan of EWU, why are you talking about them in the 3rd person? EWU is definitely one of my picks to win the NC. They however, will need a better run defense and can't put all the pressure on Adams. Few times last year he saved EWU from losing with his feet.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 30th, 2014, 06:59 PM

18 of your fans will be watching..........Yea!

P.S. Bookmark this for future reference:

EWU isnt going to have the year you guys think they will, your lucky jump ball BS is over and IF you make it to the playoffs to get hammered by any team that hit your in the mouth like Towson did last year.

Now back to your double wide, Busch Light and chicken fried steak

Red & Black
May 30th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Holy ressurected thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red & Black
May 30th, 2014, 07:10 PM

Depends on how you quantify "top"...If you define it as top for the FCS, then that's not far from the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AshevilleApp2
May 31st, 2014, 03:51 AM

EWU isnt going to have the year you guys think they will, your lucky jump ball BS is over and IF you make it to the playoffs to get hammered by any team that hit your in the mouth like Towson did last year.

Now back to your double wide, Busch Light and chicken fried steak

I love me some chicken fried steak!

Ground&Pound
June 5th, 2014, 02:28 PM

That's a fact. Does that guy not think so?
You might want to find out who that TOP group is and then keep an eye on the EWU recruiting class of 2015.

Ground&Pound
June 5th, 2014, 02:31 PM
If you are a fan of EWU, why are you talking about them in the 3rd person? EWU is definitely one of my picks to win the NC. They however, will need a better run defense and can't put all the pressure on Adams. Few times last year he saved EWU from losing with his feet.

They are in the process of signing one of the top OL, RB's and DB's in California class of 2015. The players are listed at the top of every noted prep rankings group. They already have the OL booked with the RB / DB coming soon. It should be settled by end of summer.

Ground&Pound
June 5th, 2014, 02:35 PM

They are in the process of signing one of the top OL, RB's and DB's in California class of 2015. The players are listed at the top of every noted prep rankings group. They already have the OL booked with the RB / DB coming soon. It should be settled by end of summer. I suspect the news will get the info soon. The only reason I know now is I know the players involved and their parents. They have some great talent coming in and the kids are passing on offers from bigger schools to attend EWU.

I'm sure they see the need to improve the Defense, I think they will get it done.

here's a link to one of the kids I posted on site:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?154950-Eastern-Washington-EWU-lands-one-of-the-top-OL-in-the-nation-(2015)-with-early-offer

I expect the RB from the Bakersfield area to sign next.

Nickels
June 5th, 2014, 02:40 PM
They are in the process of signing one of the top OL, RB's and DB's in California class of 2015. The players are listed at the top of every noted prep rankings group. They already have the OL booked with the RB / DB coming soon. It should be settled by end of summer. I suspect the news will get the info soon. The only reason I know now is I know the players involved and their parents. They have some great talent coming in and the kids are passing on offers from bigger schools to attend EWU.

I'm sure they see the need to improve the Defense, I think they will get it done.

here's a link to one of the kids I posted on site:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?154950-Eastern-Washington-EWU-lands-one-of-the-top-OL-in-the-nation-(2015)-with-early-offer

I expect the RB from the Bakersfield area to sign next.

D is still ****. That turtle look a like head coach cant stop the run.

Ground&Pound
September 3rd, 2014, 02:42 PM

Now back to your double wide, Busch Light and chicken fried steakLOL.

Stick to making fries my friend. 2-0 in convincing fashion.

Grizalltheway
September 3rd, 2014, 03:18 PM
This thread...

http://d28mt5n9lkji5m.cloudfront.net/i/Xzfh10Tt-N.jpg

centennial
September 3rd, 2014, 03:25 PM
This thread...

http://d28mt5n9lkji5m.cloudfront.net/i/Xzfh10Tt-N.jpg
LMAO
I raise you
http://nimga.com/m/h0xnO.gif

youwouldno
September 3rd, 2014, 03:35 PM
Do not go to law school.

The only conceivable exception would be if you went at night while your employer paid.

centennial
September 3rd, 2014, 04:02 PM
Do not go to law school.

The only conceivable exception would be if you went at night while your employer paid.
So do realize that this thread is 7 years old?

Grizalltheway
September 3rd, 2014, 04:25 PM
So do realize that this thread is 7 years old?

No kidding. Poor sap is probably making 45K as a public defender trying to pay off 100 large in loans by now. xsmhx

X-Factor
September 3rd, 2014, 06:59 PM
So....now that this 7 yr old thread is no longer dormant, what I wanna know is:

Did AZBISON follow through with GU anf get his law degree?!!

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 4th, 2014, 10:20 AM
So there are now 18 fans or was he one of the original 17?