PDA

View Full Version : Early top 25 thoughts?

Mike296
July 3rd, 2019, 07:39 PM
With pre season AGS poll being right around the corner, I thought I’d see what you guys are thinking for the upcoming season. What teams drop off? What teams rise? Do the top teams fall of or stay the same? Do we finally see an underdog story this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
July 3rd, 2019, 08:07 PM
Haven't thought much about the rest but my preseason MVFC pecking order would be:

1. NDSU
2. SDSU
3. Illinois St
4. Indiana St
5-6-7-8. UNI, WIU, YSU, and South Dakota in any order
9-10. Missouri St and SIU

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 3rd, 2019, 08:47 PM
NDSU, EWU UC Davis and JMU would be my Final 4 teams

SDSU, Montana State, Elon, Wofford, Illinois State and Nicholls State would be my contenders

Towson, Jacksonville State, Maine, Princeton*, Kennesaw State, New Hampshire, Indiana State and Eastern Kentucky would be my "ability to advance in playoffs teams"

Colgate, ETSU, Yale*, Dartmouth*, Furman, Villanova, Duquesne, Montana, Northern Iowa, North Carolina A&T, Sam Houston State and Central Arkansas as potential playoff field fillers/poll fillers.

Stony Brook, North Dakota, Delaware, Youngstown State, Western Illinois, McNeese State and Mercer fall into the "I don't have a clue" category...

From the Patriot League, Colgate is worthy of a spot in the 15-25 range imo. Their schedule will ultimately prove their merit. Georgetown could very well win 8 or 9 games and get themselves in the conversation. I do believe Holy Cross, Lehigh and Fordham all have the potential to be top 25 good if the stars align perfectly. Lehigh and Fordham are loaded with talent but need the coaching staff to get things rolling. Holy Cross has a helluva coach but still some serious questions on their two-deep to go along with a brutal schedule.

JSUSoutherner
July 3rd, 2019, 09:57 PM

SDSU, Montana State, Elon, Wofford, Illinois State and Nicholls State would be my contenders

Towson, Jacksonville State, Maine, Princeton*, Kennesaw State, New Hampshire, Indiana State and Eastern Kentucky would be my "ability to advance in playoffs teams"

Colgate, ETSU, Yale*, Dartmouth*, Furman, Villanova, Duquesne, Montana, Northern Iowa, North Carolina A&T, Sam Houston State and Central Arkansas as potential playoff field fillers/poll fillers.

Stony Brook, North Dakota, Delaware, Youngstown State, Western Illinois, McNeese State and Mercer fall into the "I don't have a clue" category...

From the Patriot League, Colgate is worthy of a spot in the 15-25 range imo. Their schedule will ultimately prove their merit. Georgetown could very well win 8 or 9 games and get themselves in the conversation. I do believe Holy Cross, Lehigh and Fordham all have the potential to be top 25 good if the stars align perfectly. Lehigh and Fordham are loaded with talent but need the coaching staff to get things rolling. Holy Cross has a helluva coach but still some serious questions on their two-deep to go along with a brutal schedule.

EKU?

Are you high?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 3rd, 2019, 10:13 PM
EKU?

Are you high?

Perhaps? :p

They were 7-4 last year and return a good amount of starters in the OVC. I would think there's some wins to be had and momentum to be gained for a team of that ilk.

JSUSoutherner
July 3rd, 2019, 10:32 PM
Perhaps? :p

They were 7-4 last year and return a good amount of starters in the OVC. I would think there's some wins to be had and momentum to be gained for a team of that ilk.Three of their seven wins were Morehead, Robert Morris, and Tennessee Tech.

The only half decent thing they did was beat SEMO.

If anyone out of the OVC other than JSU has a shot at the playoffs next year it's SEMO with Santacaterina.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

Mike296
July 3rd, 2019, 10:41 PM
The 15-25 area is going to be brutal this year. We’re bordering on having a SWAC school in there at this point (PVAM) at 25. If the Ivies would stop being so stubborn and allow at least at large bids to playoffs like MEAC and SWAC do, we’d have 3 potential top 25 Ivy schools. Then you have the potential of 3 from the Southland. You have the schools nobody knows how good they’re going to be mixed in there. I don’t think we see a Patriot League team in the T25 right away. San Diego is always a team knocking on the door. Word from the Clarksville ranks are positive with the new coach. Possibly contending a lot better in OVC this year. SEMO shocked us all last year, can they do it again? Potential 3-4 in OVC late in year. SoCon is a crapshoot and I don’t want to try and predict that. Kennesaw will be good again this year. NEC is interesting with 2 new teams. NDSU and SDSU are the obvious contenders in the MVFC. CAA is JMU’s to lose. Big Sky isn’t as obvious. UCD seems like the consensus pick early on but I’m not so sure as I’m not up to date on the conference.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 4th, 2019, 06:17 AM
Haven't thought much about the rest but my preseason MVFC pecking order would be:

1. NDSU
2. SDSU
3. Illinois St
4. Indiana St

For me, switch Ill State and SDSU.

WestCoastAggie
July 4th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Alcorn State will be this year's HBCU darling to be ranked in the Coaches and Media polls while barely getting a sniff in the AGS poll. Meanwhile, the jury is still out on Dear Ayantee.

Catatonic
July 4th, 2019, 09:42 AM
Most people who participate in preseason polls don’t have a clue about schools in conferences other than their own. They rely instead on last year and the overall playoff history to base their decisions on, or look at computer driven polls like Massey or Sagarin. I say this after looking at picks for the Southland Conference and asking people who put Nicholls and SHSU at the top or their reasoning.

That said, I’d say preseason polls do a pretty fair job of picking the top tier of teams...

The teams to beat this year are mostly familiar names—-NDSU. EWU. JMU. SDSU. UCD is back from last year but isn’t one of the traditional powers. Weber, JSU, Wofford, and Towson make up the next level. Whoever emerges from the Southland Conference pack and the cluster of teams battling it out for third in the MVFC will also join this group.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 4th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Most people who participate in preseason polls don’t have a clue about schools in conferences other than their own. They rely instead on last year and the overall playoff history to base their decisions on, or look at computer driven polls like Massey or Sagarin. I say this after looking at picks for the Southland Conference and asking people who put Nicholls and SHSU at the top or their reasoning.

That said, I’d say preseason polls do a pretty fair job of picking the top tier of teams...

The teams to beat this year are mostly familiar names—-NDSU. EWU. JMU. SDSU. UCD is back from last year but isn’t one of the traditional powers. Weber, JMU, Wofford, and Towson make up the next level. Whoever emerges from the Southland Conference pack and the cluster of teams battling it out for third in the MVFC will also join this group.

I try to base my preseason poll on how I think teams will finish. Ultimately that's what matters imo....

Catatonic
July 4th, 2019, 10:17 AM
I try to base my preseason poll on how I think teams will finish. Ultimately that's what matters imo....
i
I think the underlying question is why do you think teams will finish as you predict? How knowledgeable are you about schools/conferences apart from your own? I don’t mean to pick on you specifically. Most of us simply don’t know much about schools from other regions. I dare say you know as much about Abilene Christian’s chances as I know about Lehigh’s prospects. You could be the exception but you would be a rare exception if you were.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 4th, 2019, 10:25 AM
i
I think the underlying question is why do you think teams will finish as you predict? How knowledgeable are you about schools/conferences apart from your own? I don’t mean to pick on you specifically. Most of us simply don’t know much about schools from other regions. I dare say you know as much about Abilene Christian’s chances as I know about Lehigh’s prospects. You could be the exception but you would be a rare exception if you were.

I definitely try to do a considerable amount of research. My passion for FCS football is not normal (help with "the wedge")...lol. The PL is obviously my specialty and has been for years. But I also follow the CAA and Ivy League extremely closely. Lived in Bozeman, Montana for a few years and followed Montana State and Montana (Big Sky football). Got to know the Bobcat's head coach (and his family) at the time real well.

The Southland has always intrigued me. I remember when McNeese State was a big power. The rise of Nicholls State has fascinated me. They were a program I pointed to as the leaches of FCS/D1 athletics. The turn around there has been awesome! I think they're humming along pretty good right now. Abilene Christian I'm more familiar with due to high scoring in your D2 times. Haven't yet full gotten traction in FCS. I have faith in Sam Houston State because I think Keeler is a damn good coach. I've followed his entire career dating back to his Rowan days....

katss07
July 4th, 2019, 11:25 AM
I think UC Davis should be the second in the polls to start the year. That’s where they are for me at least, above JMU, SDSU and EWU. With a majority of last year’s team returning I think they’ll be very good and could definitely beat NDSU in Week 2 or 3 (whenever it is). Obviously Maeir is good. I know they have a great receiving core and that Preece guy they have lined up at TE is one of the best I saw in the FCS last season. I don’t know much about their defense, but hopefully they improve and bit because they can score with anyone.

Sam Houston will probably fall between 20 and 25 which is fair. I hope people have Nicholls top 15, they’re real talented. For the love of god, don’t rank Lamar. And watch out for ACU...

Redbird 4th & short
July 4th, 2019, 12:31 PM
I think the depth in CAA is real, but I don't think there is a definite top 4 team there, other than JMU has a lot coming back. I think the parity in upper half combined with last years playoff performance will hurt their post season seedings this year .. at least it should.

Big Sky seems to lack that parity, so it seems like their top 4 are in very good shape, though EWU lost a fair amount as did Weber St on their defense. Maybe Mont ST moves up from 4th this year .. but UC Davis should be clear favorite based soley on last year and returners this year.

For all the crap I gave Southland, I do believe their conference is slowly emerging. But I don't yet believe there is a top 4 team, or even a top 8 team in that league. I can pictire them getting 3 teams again in playoffs, only this coming year they might actually deserve it.

Southern is is still a question mark in my eyes. Thought they were emerging a couple years ago, but they slipped I don;t thion ETSU deserved playoff bid at 7-3 ... they had some very weak wins against some very weak teams to pad their 7 wins. I thought Furman had better overal resume, even though they lost to ETSU ... it was ETSU's only quality win by a wide margin.

MVFC is seemingly a question mark given how much NDSU lost and SDSU losing QB .. but we were supposed to be down last year too and still did well come playoff time. IMO, ISUb (6-4) was clearly screwed out of bid by 4 different teams .. Lamar (6-4), IW (6-4), Elon (6-4), ETSU (7-3). I can see MVFC returning to getting 5 teams. I think top 3 will be NDSU, SDSU, my ISUr. After that, UNI, ISUb and WIU will be very competitive. Then probably YSU/USD will make some noise but slip as they work thru MVFC gauntlet ... and then SIU/MoST.

There is no ignoring fact that MVFC excl NDSU stil has the best playoff record from 2011-18 of any conference, and despite playing far more road games and far less autobid patsies than any other top conference. The FCS selection committee, STATS, and polls need to wake up to these indisputable facts. It happened again last year .. MVFC got screwed and once again had best playoff record excluding NDSU going 4-0 again.

Massey Composite of 40 polls ... 40 polls ... bears this out as well.

Mike296
July 4th, 2019, 01:20 PM
I think the depth in CAA is real, but I don't think there is a definite top 4 team there, other than JMU has a lot coming back. I think the parity in upper half combined with last years playoff performance will hurt their post season seedings this year .. at least it should.

Big Sky seems to lack that parity, so it seems like their top 4 are in very good shape, though EWU lost a fair amount as did Weber St on their defense. Maybe Mont ST moves up from 4th this year .. but UC Davis should be clear favorite based soley on last year and returners this year.

For all the crap I gave Southland, I do believe their conference is slowly emerging. But I don't yet believe there is a top 4 team, or even a top 8 team in that league. I can pictire them getting 3 teams again in playoffs, only this coming year they might actually deserve it.

Southern is is still a question mark in my eyes. Thought they were emerging a couple years ago, but they slipped I don;t thion ETSU deserved playoff bid at 7-3 ... they had some very weak wins against some very weak teams to pad their 7 wins. I thought Furman had better overal resume, even though they lost to ETSU ... it was ETSU's only quality win by a wide margin.

MVFC is seemingly a question mark given how much NDSU lost and SDSU losing QB .. but we were supposed to be down last year too and still did well come playoff time. IMO, ISUb (6-4) was clearly screwed out of bid by 4 different teams .. Lamar (6-4), IW (6-4), Elon (6-4), ETSU (7-3). I can see MVFC returning to getting 5 teams. I think top 3 will be NDSU, SDSU, my ISUr. After that, UNI, ISUb and WIU will be very competitive. Then probably YSU/USD will make some noise but slip as they work thru MVFC gauntlet ... and then SIU/MoST.

There is no ignoring fact that MVFC excl NDSU stil has the best playoff record from 2011-18 of any conference, and despite playing far more road games and far less autobid patsies than any other top conference. The FCS selection committee, STATS, and polls need to wake up to these indisputable facts. It happened again last year .. MVFC got screwed and once again had best playoff record excluding NDSU going 4-0 again.

Massey Composite of 40 polls ... 40 polls ... bears this out as well.

This is pretty accurate, the Southland and SoCon are in weird spots atm, there’s no definitive best team in either and you could make an argument for at least 4 in either league winning the conference. Someone mentioned Alcorn St as the HBCU to be ranked but I disagree. I see Praire View A&M being that team. Reason being that they have a pretty good track record of giving the FBS teams they face a good game and they generally do pretty well in conference. They have a team that’s on the rise and they could be a team alongside Alcorn who if they don’t make the title game and have a good enough resume could make the playoffs. I know it sounds far fetched but with a lot of conferences falling off, the committee might put in an HBCU or Two.

Redbird 4th & short
July 4th, 2019, 02:13 PM
This is pretty accurate, the Southland and SoCon are in weird spots atm, there’s no definitive best team in either and you could make an argument for at least 4 in either league winning the conference. Someone mentioned Alcorn St as the HBCU to be ranked but I disagree. I see Praire View A&M being that team. Reason being that they have a pretty good track record of giving the FBS teams they face a good game and they generally do pretty well in conference. They have a team that’s on the rise and they could be a team alongside Alcorn who if they don’t make the title game and have a good enough resume could make the playoffs. I know it sounds far fetched but with a lot of conferences falling off, the committee might put in an HBCU or Two.

I don;t know ... HBCU s are 0-6 in playoffs 2011-18, most of them being blowouts. But I've heard the chatter, so maybe some teams are emerging. But with so little top 25 competition, I still don't see it. But the regional "democracy" based polls will have several teams ranked well above where they should be, there will be some undue attention all season.

And I didn't cover the one bid conferences, though to be fair OVC gets 2 once in a while. Most interesting team from 1 bid conference is obviously going to be Kennesaw St ... they lost a lot, but emegred from nowhere 2 years ago. Most potent team might be JSU .. lot of chatter about their roster being fairly loaded. So OVC might also be 2 bid conference with JSU, TN-Martin, and EKU all looking competitive and like potential top 25 teams.

JSUSoutherner
July 4th, 2019, 07:16 PM
I don;t know ... HBCU s are 0-6 in playoffs 2011-18, most of them being blowouts. But I've heard the chatter, so maybe some teams are emerging. But with so little top 25 competition, I still don't see it. But the regional "democracy" based polls will have several teams ranked well above where they should be, there will be some undue attention all season.

And I didn't cover the one bid conferences, though to be fair OVC gets 2 once in a while. Most interesting team from 1 bid conference is obviously going to be Kennesaw St ... they lost a lot, but emegred from nowhere 2 years ago. Most potent team might be JSU .. lot of chatter about their roster being fairly loaded. So OVC might also be 2 bid conference with JSU, TN-Martin, and EKU all looking competitive and like potential top 25 teams.

We are 'loaded' yearly.

That said our offense has more weapons on it than the 2015 squad.

That said we are 'loaded' yearly.

UTM won't be relevant.

JSU, SEMO, EKU, EIU are the only teams with a snowballs chance at doing anything of note.

Redbird 4th & short
July 4th, 2019, 08:01 PM
We are 'loaded' yearly.

That said our offense has more weapons on it than the 2015 squad.

That said we are 'loaded' yearly.

UTM won't be relevant.

JSU, SEMO, EKU, EIU are the only teams with a snowballs chance at doing anything of note.
good insights on OVC .. thanks. Got my wires crossed on TN Martin and SEMO .. I meant SEMO.

You think EIU has something this year ? We've destroyed them the last 2 seasons.

JSUSoutherner
July 4th, 2019, 09:38 PM
good insights on OVC .. thanks. Got my wires crossed on TN Martin and SEMO .. I meant SEMO.

You think EIU has something this year ? We've destroyed them the last 2 seasons.

Kim Dameron was shown the door. That by itself is a major improvement for EIU.

Catatonic
July 5th, 2019, 03:32 AM

I could make a case for 7 teams from the Southland Conference. The seven teams that were separated by s total of two games at the end of last season. It’s gonna be a wild ride thus year in the SLC.

PaladinFan
July 5th, 2019, 09:16 AM

My thoughts, albeit through a purple-tinted lens.

Last season the SoCon was just five years into a major transition. As I have often commented, I would encourage anyone who criticizes the SoCon's national standing to take the two best programs in your conference (who, I should add, are two of the premier FCS programs ever) and remove them in the same season. In the place of those two programs, put two brand new programs transitioning as complete startups.

There will be a transition. There has to be. I think you are starting to see the SoCon break out of that, though.

2018 was a strange year. Samford, who seemed destined to great things, had a disappointing season despite beating all three of the conference co-champs in a four game stretch.

ETSU pulled their best impersonation of Wofford's 2017 team and just found ways to win ugly. The Bucs really didn't overwhelm anyone and even looked like the weaker team in contests they won.

Furman, I think, was the best team in the league and didn't make the post season. I can explain some of that, but they just end up being excuses. The canceled home game against Colgate and some untimely injuries in key games hurt.

I will say, though, that the 2019 Paladins look more like the early-mid 2000s teams than any group we've fielded in the last 10 or 15 years. Furman is recruiting better and developing depth like we haven't seen in a long time.

The big question mark this season is QB. If one of these untested guys can handle that role, I think you'll see the Paladins poised to make a playoff run. They may not be NDSU/JMU quality, but after seeing ETSU and Wofford play Jacksonville State and KSU to near draws last year, I think Furman will hold its own against most of the top teams in the country.

Of course, we could pull a Samford and disappoint everyone.

Tribe4SF
July 5th, 2019, 11:23 AM

Keep an eye on W&M. Good defense and completely new offense. Only CAA team to beat Maine, and also beat Villanova. Games 2-4 against UVA, Colgate and East Carolina should reveal whether the team can contend.

SU DOG
July 5th, 2019, 11:42 AM
While I agree with you that the SoCon is getting tougher, and that Furman should be a tough out, I also agree that you always have very thick purple lens. Yeah, Samford did have a disappointing year, but of course Samford just disappoints, and there is NO mention of so many key defensive injuries that the team suffered. Maybe instead of pulling a Samford, you could just pull a Furman and lose to Samford for the 5th time in 6 years. LOL.

Professor
July 5th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Alcorn State will be this year's HBCU darling to be ranked in the Coaches and Media polls while barely getting a sniff in the AGS poll. Meanwhile, the jury is still out on Dear Ayantee.

I disagree . Unless they beat up on MCNEESE STATE in their building , i can't see Alcorn getting any love. Especially after A&T beats Elon

ursus arctos horribilis
July 5th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Wanted to put this in here since you guys are already rolling.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?230343-2019-AGS-Poll-Schedule-pf-Events&p=2778863#post2778863

I've emailed with a couple of conference commish's and I have a form that has went out to all FCS team offices that has gotten pretty good feedback already and this will put together a database for the voters which will have access to this in the AGS Voter forum before the voting begins this season. Further updates will be done in that forum as I, and hopefully Prof Chaos put it together and finish something up that will be fairly easy to go sort through.

Springing this on you here Chaos! xlox

ursus arctos horribilis
July 5th, 2019, 01:32 PM
EKU?

Are you high?

We'll see but their "coming back" etc. looks pretty good from what I have seen already. Now does that mean they put it together? Maybe, maybe not but they ain't looking too bad to start off since we have nothing else right now.

PaladinFan
July 5th, 2019, 02:44 PM
While I agree with you that the SoCon is getting tougher, and that Furman should be a tough out, I also agree that you always have very thick purple lens. Yeah, Samford did have a disappointing year, but of course Samford just disappoints, and there is NO mention of so many key defensive injuries that the team suffered. Maybe instead of pulling a Samford, you could just pull a Furman and lose to Samford for the 5th time in 6 years. LOL.

Agree with me, make excuses, and deflect to something I wasn't talking about. Got it.

Cocky
July 5th, 2019, 04:31 PM
We'll see but their "coming back" etc. looks pretty good from what I have seen already. Now does that mean they put it together? Maybe, maybe not but they ain't looking too bad to start off since we have nothing else right now.

Hope they do have it coming together. OVC needs more competition. If JSU, EKU, SEMO, AP and EIU all had decent teams it would help come playoff time for the survivors.

SU DOG
July 5th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Agree with me, make excuses, and deflect to something I wasn't talking about. Got it.

Glad you got something. A few years ago, according to you, it was Samford who was wrong to have so many transfers. Then Samford's schedule hurt the SoCon(good luck vs the Point Skyhawks), and now you could "pull a Samford" and underachieve. Not to hard to see a pattern you have going here huh?

Catatonic
July 7th, 2019, 04:43 AM

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?230343-2019-AGS-Poll-Schedule-pf-Events&p=2778863#post2778863

I've emailed with a couple of conference commish's and I have a form that has went out to all FCS team offices that has gotten pretty good feedback already and this will put together a database for the voters which will have access to this in the AGS Voter forum before the voting begins this season. Further updates will be done in that forum as I, and hopefully Prof Chaos put it together and finish something up that will be fairly easy to go sort through.

Thanks for looking for new ways to provide us with the information we need to make more informed decisions. I’m skeptical of preseason polls precisely because so little is known about the programs we are asked to rank.

Absent the information you hope to provide us, Ive been looking at the Stats FCS Spring Practice Outlook posts for schools in the various conferences. There’s some good information there about returning starters and key players on both sides of the ball, as well as new players expected to make a contribution this fall.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for looking for new ways to provide us with the information we need to make more informed decisions. I’m skeptical of preseason polls precisely because so little is known about the programs we are asked to rank.

Absent the information you hope to provide us, Ive been looking at the Stats FCS Spring Practice Outlook posts for schools in the various conferences. There’s some good information there about returning starters and key players on both sides of the ball, as well as new players expected to make a contribution this fall.

Redbird 4th & short
July 7th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Hope they do have it coming together. OVC needs more competition. If JSU, EKU, SEMO, AP and EIU all had decent teams it would help come playoff time for the survivors.
so true ... all those years SHSU were playing at a pretty high level only to completely collapse when it got up against a truly good team. To lesser extent, same for JSU on OVC for a few years there .. though not nearly as big a collapse as SHSU.

OVC is starting to show some competitiveness in the top 4 ... similarly for Southland, but even more teams seem to be on rise ... regular season competition is so critical to preparing for playoff .. assuming the grind doesn't take a toll with getting banged up and injured come playoffs. MVFC has seen it clearly happen to some very good teams like 2017 USD, 2013 UNI and several YSU teams (2017 and some pre-Pelini teams) ... where they played like top 10 teams for good part of season, only to have the grind take a toll.

So it requires some luck and depth ... but regular season competition is the best preparation for playoffs. Players tend to rise to occassion and just get better as a result. Teams are forced to figure out what works and what doesnt. Can't get that beating up weak teams.

MR. CHICKEN
July 7th, 2019, 09:50 AM
so true ... all those years SHSU were playing at a pretty high level only to completely collapse when it got up against a truly good team. To lesser extent, same for JSU on OVC for a few years there .. though not nearly as big a collapse as SHSU.

OVC is starting to show some competitiveness in the top 4 ... similarly for Southland, but even more teams seem to be on rise ... regular season competition is so critical to preparing for playoff .. assuming the grind doesn't take a toll with getting banged up and injured come playoffs. MVFC has seen it clearly happen to some very good teams like 2017 USD, 2013 UNI and several YSU teams (2017 and some pre-Pelini teams) ... where they played like top 10 teams for good part of season, only to have the grind take a toll.

So it requires some luck and depth ... but regular season competition is the best preparation for playoffs. Players tend to rise to occassion and just get better as a result. Teams are forced to figure out what works and what doesnt. Can't get that beating up weak teams.

..............YEH-YA....BIRDIE.........'SPLAINS.....WHAA.......BIG FLUFFY/CAA/MVC........ALWAYS....IN DUH CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES.....xhugx...AWK!

Daytripper
July 7th, 2019, 01:42 PM
I think UC Davis should be the second in the polls to start the year. That’s where they are for me at least, above JMU, SDSU and EWU. With a majority of last year’s team returning I think they’ll be very good and could definitely beat NDSU in Week 2 or 3 (whenever it is). Obviously Maeir is good. I know they have a great receiving core and that Preece guy they have lined up at TE is one of the best I saw in the FCS last season. I don’t know much about their defense, but hopefully they improve and bit because they can score with anyone.

Sam Houston will probably fall between 20 and 25 which is fair. I hope people have Nicholls top 15, they’re real talented. For the love of god, don’t rank Lamar. And watch out for ACU...

We will know a lot about Sam Houston by how they perform Week 1 at New Mexico. I expect them to keep it close, and maybe pull out the win. If that happens then I think we could have a good season. If we get blown out, then the proletariat will be storming the gates of Keeler's office.

katss07
July 7th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Regarding the routine playoff burnouts, is SHSU criticized more than JSU for this because the blowouts happen later in the playoffs?

SHSU’s playoff fails should be criticized. It seems like JSU’s should be too, but JSU gets a pass with voters and “experts”.

JSUSoutherner
July 7th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Regarding the routine playoff burnouts, is SHSU criticized more than JSU for this because the blowouts happen later in the playoffs?

SHSU’s playoff fails should be criticized. It seems like JSU’s should be too, but JSU gets a pass with voters and “experts”.

We also don't lose by 50+ when we do get beat.

katss07
July 7th, 2019, 07:29 PM
We also don't lose by 50+ when we do get beat.
But you guys lose earlier. 2 to 3 rounds earlier. I’m taking a team that loses to NDSU by 50 in the semis over an overrated team that loses to Maine by 30 in the second round.

SHSU is called overrated. JSU is called a powerhouse. JSU had one great year.

JacksFan40
July 7th, 2019, 07:31 PM

If anything SDSU deserves loads of criticism for constantly getting blown out by NDSU in the playoffs, and JMU in 2017. At least JSU and SHSU made it to the title game.

Professor Chaos
July 7th, 2019, 07:54 PM
But you guys lose earlier. 2 to 3 rounds earlier. I’m taking a team that loses to NDSU by 50 in the semis over an overrated team that loses to Maine by 30 in the second round.

I call JSU overrated plenty. :D

JSUSoutherner
July 7th, 2019, 08:00 PM
I call JSU overrated plenty. :D

See my profile pic.

Although I can see why SHSU fans are jealous of us. At least we can win our weak conference and actually make the playoffs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 7th, 2019, 08:28 PM

I don't think I've seen JSU called that on here...ever.

Probably a powerhouse in their weak ass conference but not nationally.

Reign of Terrier
July 8th, 2019, 08:02 AM
I don't think I've seen JSU called that on here...ever.

Probably a powerhouse in their weak ass conference but not nationally.

Powerhouse may not be the right word, but they're definitely something considering they have more playoff wins than the rest of their conference put together since they've joined and, most importantly, are probably in the top 15 in the FCS in terms of playoff wins. As I've said in other threads, it's much more predictive to judge the FCS as a collection of teams (<20 of them) because less than 10 have most of the quarterfinal and semifinal appearances in the last decade. Jacksonville State is one of them. With that said, I agree that powerhouse is too strong of a word.

tierre
July 9th, 2019, 07:58 AM
I disagree . Unless they beat up on MCNEESE STATE in their building , i can't see Alcorn getting any love. Especially after A&T beats Elon

I agree that we must beat McNeese St., but I don't see NCAT being as strong as last year

Catatonic
July 9th, 2019, 01:19 PM
I’m gonna just say it

NDSU will not repeat as FCS Champion

Bonus insight

Nicholls won’t win the Southland Conference

katss07
July 9th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Powerhouse may not be the right word, but they're definitely something considering they have more playoff wins than the rest of their conference put together since they've joined and, most importantly, are probably in the top 15 in the FCS in terms of playoff wins. As I've said in other threads, it's much more predictive to judge the FCS as a collection of teams (<20 of them) because less than 10 have most of the quarterfinal and semifinal appearances in the last decade. Jacksonville State is one of them. With that said, I agree that powerhouse is too strong of a word.
Top 15? Meh. I don’t know what the current “Playoff Wins” list is looking like but I’m not sure their 6 playoff wins are cutting it. They had a fantastic run in 2015, that team was great but they’ve been disappointing since.

lionsrking2
July 9th, 2019, 06:32 PM
I’m gonna just say it

Bonus insight

Disagree with first point. Agree on the second.

JSUSoutherner
July 9th, 2019, 08:45 PM
Top 15? Meh. I don’t know what the current “Playoff Wins” list is looking like but I’m not sure their 6 playoff wins are cutting it. They had a fantastic run in 2015, that team was great but they’ve been disappointing since. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190710/f6985d1d0442d40ad1b232606bc38b40.gif

penguinpower
July 10th, 2019, 12:16 AM

1. NDSU
2. SDSU
3. Illinois St
4. Indiana St

YSU has Carl Pelini back on defense. He is has the defensive football brains that brought us back to relevance a few years ago. this year we should be better toward the end of the year and the following year we should be a pain in the ass on defense.

penguinpower
July 10th, 2019, 12:27 AM
Three of their seven wins were Morehead, Robert Morris, and Tennessee Tech.

The only half decent thing they did was beat SEMO.

If anyone out of the OVC other than JSU has a shot at the playoffs next year it's SEMO with Santacaterina.

Damn you are a realist. I agree completely. Wish Youngstown would join that conference. They would fit better, the travel would be less than it is now, and we could have autumn games in Bama. I live in Savannah, Ga and it is a day trip to Jacksonville State for game day. I went to the playoff game a few years ago and you have first class fans. I enjoyed my time there and would like to do that again. But it would be better as an annual game. If YSU wants to go to NDSU it requires a flight or 24 hr drive. JAX is a log drive but the OVC fits better overall (not 24 hours like NDSU). I will say that I like the fact that we play the best in the MVFC but I would give that up for the playoff bias against us (I can site multiple examples of playoff bias going back to 2001).

ursus arctos horribilis
July 10th, 2019, 12:39 AM
Damn you are a realist. I agree completely. Wish Youngstown would join that conference. They would fit better, the travel would be less than it is now, and we could have autumn games in Bama. I live in Savannah, Ga and it is a day trip to Jacksonville State for game day. I went to the playoff game a few years ago and you have first class fans. I enjoyed my time there and would like to do that again. But it would be better as an annual game. If YSU wants to go to NDSU it requires a flight or 24 hr drive. JAX is a log drive but the OVC fits better overall (not 24 hours like NDSU). I will say that I like the fact that we play the best in the MVFC but I would give that up for the playoff bias against us (I can site multiple examples of playoff bias going back to 2001).

That's been tried several times before and it never really holds up...like the 7-4 playoff eligible season that only had 6 D1 wins etc. but I know how much YSU people really love to play that victim card a lot. But I guess that is not really what this thread was supposed to be about and we have so many old ones that we could dig up on it to go over again if we wanted to.

Everybody that did not get in and were on the bubble can cite playoff bias against them and they are correct...the committee has a bias against teams that don't deserve to be in and even then they usually have to allow in a team or two. but if you belonged, you'd have been in.

JSUSoutherner
July 10th, 2019, 02:29 AM

Savannah to Jacksonville and back in a day is a helluva long day trip.

Redbird 4th & short
July 10th, 2019, 09:35 AM
I thought YSU got screwed at least twice if not all 3 years between 2012-14 .. definitely in 2012 (7-4 against #7 SOS) and 2013 (8-4 against #14 SOS), and possibly even 2014 (7-4 against #10 SOS). In both 2013 and 2014, they finished season with 3 straight losses to top 10 teams, as if "when" they happen to lose to top 10 teams is given all the weight. Only possible legit argument against them in 2014 was MVFC already had 5 locks for playoffs ... but YSU deserved a spot all 3 years. This caused their HC to get fired and in comes Pelini in 2015 (5-6 but 5 losses were within TD or FG), and gets them to championship in 2016. Even 2017, they had a very strong 6-5 season with very close losses to 5-7 Pitt by 7, 8-5 USD by 3, 14-1 NDSU by 3, 8-5 UNI by 5 .. only bad loss to my ISUr. Obviously wheels fell off in 2018 at 4-7.

Not sure about prior to 2010, but I would agree YSU has gotten screwed more than most MVFC in recent decade.

BisonTru
July 10th, 2019, 09:47 AM
I’m gonna just say it

Bonus insight

Iirc, you've ranked Sammy preseason #1 like 8 years running. It might be more wishful thinking than insight.

FUGameBreaker
July 10th, 2019, 10:23 AM
xcoffeex

Reign of Terrier
July 10th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Top 15? Meh. I don’t know what the current “Playoff Wins” list is looking like but I’m not sure their 6 playoff wins are cutting it. They had a fantastic run in 2015, that team was great but they’ve been disappointing since.

By my count, there are only about 11 teams (currently playing FCS football) to win at least 6 or playoff games in the last decade. NDSU, SDSU, Wofford, SHSU, JSU, Montana, EWU, Richmond, Villanova, UNH, and JMU. I may be missing one or two teams (Illinois State?), but the fact that a few teams (Richmond, Nova, Montana) on this list have been somewhat absent in the last 3-4 years (albeit not completely) solidifies the point.

The fact that NDSU hoards all the championships nowadays skews the perspective of everyone else in the FCS. JMU, SHSU, EWU, and SDSU are the second tier elite of FCS, with Wofford, JSU, UNH and Kennesaw in the third tier, with some spurious one hit wonders and perennially "good but not great" teams following

Catatonic
July 10th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Iirc, you've ranked Sammy preseason #1 like 8 years running. It might be more wishful thinking than insight.

You have an active imagination it seems. You have no idea who I’ve rated preseason number one so you make something up to discredit my observation. FWIW, I don’t recall ever rating SHSU preseason number one. Certainly not last year or this year.

I normally give the benefit of the doubt to the defending champion but with the loss of 15 starters, including the winningest QB in NDSU history, and a new coach I’m making an exception.

I’m the first to admit I might be wrong. NDSU has a history of developing young talent and plugging them into the line up as needed. And, of course, your new coach has been part of the NDSU system and culture. Still, that’s a lot to overcome.

uni88
July 10th, 2019, 01:44 PM
By my count, there are only about 11 teams (currently playing FCS football) to win at least 6 or playoff games in the last decade. NDSU, SDSU, Wofford, SHSU, JSU, Montana, EWU, Richmond, Villanova, UNH, and JMU. I may be missing one or two teams (Illinois State?), but the fact that a few teams (Richmond, Nova, Montana) on this list have been somewhat absent in the last 3-4 years (albeit not completely) solidifies the point.

The fact that NDSU hoards all the championships nowadays skews the perspective of everyone else in the FCS. JMU, SHSU, EWU, and SDSU are the second tier elite of FCS, with Wofford, JSU, UNH and Kennesaw in the third tier, with some spurious one hit wonders and perennially "good but not great" teams following

I think UNI has 6 playoff wins in the last decade:
2011 - over Wofford (Breitenstein was a beast)
2014 - over SF Austin
2015 - over Eastern Illinois & Portland State
2017 - over Monmouth
2018 - over Lamar

Reign of Terrier
July 10th, 2019, 02:00 PM
I think UNI has 6 playoff wins in the last decade:
2011 - over Wofford (Breitenstein was a beast)
2014 - over SF Austin
2015 - over Eastern Illinois & Portland State
2017 - over Monmouth
2018 - over Lamar

There ya have it

(UNI has the least accessible wiki for playoff wins)

BEAR
July 10th, 2019, 02:48 PM
You have an active imagination it seems. You have no idea who I’ve rated preseason number one so you make something up to discredit my observation. FWIW, I don’t recall ever rating SHSU preseason number one. Certainly not last year or this year.

I normally give the benefit of the doubt to the defending champion but with the loss of 15 starters, including the winningest QB in NDSU history, and a new coach I’m making an exception.

I’m the first to admit I might be wrong. NDSU has a history of developing young talent and plugging them into the line up as needed. And, of course, your new coach has been part of the NDSU system and culture. Still, that’s a lot to overcome.

You triggered him by posting that you didn't think NDSU would win it this year. xlolx Sin of all sins to him. He didn't read past your first sentence. It's what he does. xcoffeex But let me guess his next post..."I was joking..everyone relax..geez". xlolx

CappinHard
July 10th, 2019, 03:00 PM
For me, switch Ill State and SDSU.

https://media.giphy.com/media/9PMC8BD8b2AaA/giphy.gif

Unless QB play is horrendous, I would be really surprised if SDSU ends up anywhere other than the top 2 in the MVFC. The schedule couldn't have worked out any better with 7 home games including NDSU, ISUr, and UNI all at home.

uni88
July 10th, 2019, 03:25 PM
There ya have it

(UNI has the least accessible wiki for playoff wins)The wiki pages were goofy.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mvfcfan
July 11th, 2019, 01:02 PM
I don't really follow FCS football too closely outside of the MVFC and OVC, since ISUb and EIU are my favorite schools in that order. With that said I suspect that NDSU, SDSU, ISUb, ISUr, and UNI will start in the top 25 in the MVFC. In the OVC, JSU will definitely be in the top 25; while I think EKU and SEMO will either barely make or barely miss the top 25.

Anyways my MVFC preseason picks would be this as of right now.
1= NDSU
2= SDSU
3= UNI
4= ILST
5= INST
6= YSU
7= WIU
8= USD
9= MSU
10= SIU

My OVC preseason poll as of right now.
1= JSU
2= EKU
3= SEMO
4= APSU
5= Murray
6= TNST
7= EIU
8= UTM
9= TTU

Side notes on my schools:

I think my Sycamores will be pretty good this year, but more times than not we seem to underachieve when we expect to have a good season. The thing that makes me nervous is that none of our wins last year came against anyone with a winning D1 record. We could easily start out 4-0 this year, but I could also see us at 2-2 (losing to Kansas and EKU). Ideally we should start out 3-1 since 3 of our 4 non-conference games are at home this season. Unfortunately we play at ILST and UNI this year and we rarely have any success at either site. We do play SDSU at home this season, so we might be able to pull off an upset against them this year. We don't play NDSU this year (thank God). We're probably talented enough to win every game on our schedule, but I'm expecting us to finish either 8-4 or 7-5 this season.

EIU will probably lose their first 4 games honestly. Then 2-6 in OVC play is probably likely. Showing Dameron the door was definitely the right move. Hopefully the new coach will actually make smart play calls, especially late in the first half. EIU would have won a couple of more games last season if the coach wouldn't have been so aggressive with his play calling. The defense also needs to improve drastically.

JSUSoutherner
July 11th, 2019, 01:27 PM
I don't really follow FCS football too closely outside of the MVFC and OVC, since ISUb and EIU are my favorite schools in that order. With that said I suspect that NDSU, SDSU, ISUb, ISUr, and UNI will start in the top 25 in the MVFC. In the OVC, JSU will definitely be in the top 25; while I think EKU and SEMO will either barely make or barely miss the top 25.

1= NDSU
2= SDSU
3= UNI
4= ILST
5= INST
6= YSU
7= WIU
8= USD
9= MSU
10= SIU

1= JSU
2= EKU
3= SEMO
4= APSU
5= Murray
6= TNST
7= EIU
8= UTM
9= TTU

I think my Sycamores will be pretty good this year, but more times than not we seem to underachieve when we expect to have a good season. The thing that makes me nervous is that none of our wins last year came against anyone with a winning D1 record. We could easily start out 4-0 this year, but I could also see us at 2-2 (losing to Kansas and EKU). Ideally we should start out 3-1 since 3 of our 4 non-conference games are at home this season. Unfortunately we play at ILST and UNI this year and we rarely have any success at either site. We do play SDSU at home this season, so we might be able to pull off an upset against them this year. We don't play NDSU this year (thank God). We're probably talented enough to win every game on our schedule, but I'm expecting us to finish either 8-4 or 7-5 this season.

EIU will probably lose their first 4 games honestly. Then 2-6 in OVC play is probably likely. Showing Dameron the door was definitely the right move. Hopefully the new coach will actually make smart play calls, especially late in the first half. EIU would have won a couple of more games last season if the coach wouldn't have been so aggressive with his play calling. The defense also needs to improve drastically.

What makes you put EKU over SEMO?

What does everyone think they see in EKU?

They were garbage last year. They were garbage the year before that. They aren't improving, so why make a prediction they are going to come out of nowhere?

Bisonator
July 11th, 2019, 01:29 PM
We don't play NDSU this year (thank God).
This is the year to play us.

JSUSoutherner
July 11th, 2019, 01:30 PM
This is the year to play us.

Yeah you guys are gonna suck. :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 11th, 2019, 01:58 PM

They were garbage last year. They were garbage the year before that. They aren't improving, so why make a prediction they are going to come out of nowhere?

They were 7-4 and beat SEMO last year. I think there's definitely a glass half full view on EKU that has them being darn good. Time will tell.....

mvfcfan
July 11th, 2019, 02:10 PM

They were 7-4 (5-2 OVC) last season. Two of those losses were to FBS teams and both losses were respectable. They beat SEMO by 9 last season. EKU also has most of their starters back.

Redbird 4th & short
July 11th, 2019, 02:25 PM

1= NDSU
2= SDSU
3= UNI
4= ILST
5= INST
6= YSU
7= WIU
8= USD
9= MSU
10= SIU

1= JSU
2= EKU
3= SEMO
4= APSU
5= Murray
6= TNST
7= EIU
8= UTM
9= TTU

EIU used to be tough even when they were losing games. The last 2 years they've really gotten soft ... as rivalry games usually are, they used to put up a great fight even when we were clearly better. The last 2 years, we have completely dominated
.. lost that rivalry edge as a result. I liked this game better when we struggled.

IBleedYellow
July 11th, 2019, 02:28 PM
If anything SDSU deserves loads of criticism for constantly getting blown out by NDSU in the playoffs, and JMU in 2017. At least JSU and SHSU made it to the title game.

Woah woah woah.

SDSU doesn't get blown out by NDSU every season in the Playoffs. It's just if they played a tight game against NDSU previously in the year they are ****ed. If it was previously a blowout they play them closer. J & H.

katss07
July 11th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Indiana State vs Illinois State looks like it could be fun this year. Maybe determine a playoff spot? I know what Robinson can do but both of their qbs seem to be getting some talk! I’ll have to watch that one.

Side note, IMO the OVC looks stronger than in years past but I’d put my money on SEMO over EKU just based on how they played JSU last year.

Preferred Walk-On
July 11th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Woah woah woah.

SDSU doesn't get blown out by NDSU every season in the Playoffs. It's just if they played a tight game against NDSU previously in the year they are ****ed. If it was previously a blowout they play them closer. J & H.

SHSU has never made the title game when on NDSU's side of the bracket, and JSU has never had that opportunity.

Since 2012, SDSU has been on NDSU's side of the bracket 5 out of 7 years, and have been knocked out by NDSU in four of those. The other year on same side of bracket, they were beaten by the team that NDSU beat in the next round. I think comparing SDSU with SHSU or JSU in this respect is probably not fair to SDSU. I suspect that there could have been at least 1-2 of those years in which SDSU could have been playing NDSU in Frisco. BTW, SDSU's losses to other teams in that span are Eastern Washington (who beat JSU in the next round), Montana (who got beat by NDSU in the next round), and James Madison (who had just the week before ripped SHSU and who got beat by NDSU in the championship). So actually, SHSU or JSU have never had to play SDSU in the playoffs. Lucky I guess. :D

katss07
July 11th, 2019, 04:35 PM
SHSU has never made the title game when on NDSU's side of the bracket, and JSU has never had that opportunity.

Since 2012, SDSU has been on NDSU's side of the bracket 5 out of 7 years, and have been knocked out by NDSU in four of those. The other year on same side of bracket, they were beaten by the team that NDSU beat in the next round. I think comparing SDSU with SHSU or JSU in this respect is probably not fair to SDSU. I suspect that there could have been at least 1-2 of those years in which SDSU could have been playing NDSU in Frisco. BTW, SDSU's losses to other teams in that span are Eastern Washington (who beat JSU in the next round), Montana (who got beat by NDSU in the next round), and James Madison (who had just the week before ripped SHSU and who got beat by NDSU in the championship). So actually, SHSU or JSU have never had to play SDSU in the playoffs. Lucky I guess. :D
Like SDSU, the Kats have been on the Bison side of the bracket 5 out of 7 years. SHSU has been to Frisco twice. So...

Preferred Walk-On
July 11th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Like SDSU, the Kats have been on the Bison side of the bracket 5 out of 7 years. SHSU has been to Frisco twice. So...

How many times have they been eliminated by the Bison pre-national championship game? So...

Also, how many times has SHSU has beaten SDSU to move on in the playoffs? Asking for a friend?

Preferred Walk-On
July 11th, 2019, 06:36 PM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?212252-2018-09-15-AGS-GOTW-Week-3&p=2671272&viewfull=1#post2671272

Just want to clarify that I am not trying to knock SHSU (see post link above). I am merely trying to point out that regionality has somewhat negatively affected SDSU and how they are viewed. They have not been able to knock off the Bison when it counts, but my argument would be, "Who has?". SDSU has just had to try to do it more than anybody else. One could argue that having more opportunities to do so should benefit SDSU, and that they should have been able to take advantage of that, but then one would have to use that argument for SHSU as well.

Looking forward to SHSU having a bounce-back season.

Reign of Terrier
July 12th, 2019, 07:32 AM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?212252-2018-09-15-AGS-GOTW-Week-3&p=2671272&viewfull=1#post2671272

Just want to clarify that I am not trying to knock SHSU (see post link above). I am merely trying to point out that regionality has somewhat negatively affected SDSU and how they are viewed. They have not been able to knock off the Bison when it counts, but my argument would be, "Who has?". SDSU has just had to try to do it more than anybody else. One could argue that having more opportunities to do so should benefit SDSU, and that they should have been able to take advantage of that, but then one would have to use that argument for SHSU as well.

Can we get a running count on who has been eliminated by NDSU multiple times on their run?
On the top of my head (and not all of these teams are still FCS): Wofford, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Sam Houston State, SDSU, and???

Redbird 4th & short
July 12th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Indiana State vs Illinois State looks like it could be fun this year. Maybe determine a playoff spot? I know what Robinson can do but both of their qbs seem to be getting some talk! I’ll have to watch that one.

Side note, IMO the OVC looks stronger than in years past but I’d put my money on SEMO over EKU just based on how they played JSU last year.

I honestly think my ISUr has more upside than ISUb based on our defense alone. They beat us last year at their place 28-23 .. they outscored us 21-0 in Q2 getting 2 TDs after TOs resulting in 3 drives for just 38 and 25 yards, plus a 52 yard drive. For the game, we outgained 488 to 283, and 1st downs of 26 to 17 ... but we imploded in Q2 and never fully recovered.

I like their QB a lot .. great game manager, but below avg passing QB .. but knows what he can and can't do and is great leader. I thought he was better than the Burkes kid from KSU .. similar QB styles, but ISUb QB Boyle could throw better it seemed .. though limited against good defenses.

ISUr QB Davis has much more upside passing; he has great pocket sense, but uses it to buy time not to run. But he struggled to show his passing skills last year .. there is a lot of chatter/hope that a full offseason with team (he was a summer 2018 transfer) will help him acclimcate better this time around. The other aspect is our OC was dealing with personal issue ... his wife was got cancer for 2nd time and was getting treatments in Houston. Excuses, I know .. but the emotional and financial toll was problematic.

But agree ISUb will be a factor in MVFC and ought to have a playoff shot .. they were THE most screwed team last year ... though I'm thinking they are in 4th to 6th dogfight with UNI and WIU. I still like NDSU, SDSU, ISUr for top 3. For this year, we have a lot back and higher hopes for QB Davis ... we shall see.

mvfcfan
July 12th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Personally I thought your QB last season was terrible (maybe average at best), but I only saw that one game against us. Thanks to most of the games being on ESPN+ instead of ESPN3, I didn't get to see very many MVFC games last season. I'll probably just buy it this year; I think it's only $5 a month.

With that said we never win at ILST in football and I'm not expecting anything different this year.

POD Knows
July 12th, 2019, 08:43 AM

Looking forward to SHSU having a bounce-back season.Yea, it would be good to get them in our side of the bracket again. :D

POD Knows
July 12th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Can we get a running count on who has been eliminated by NDSU multiple times on their run?
On the top of my head (and not all of these teams are still FCS): Wofford, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Sam Houston State, SDSU, and???A Whale's Vagina (San Diego) got fed to NDSU twice. Other than that your list looks complete to me.

Redbird 4th & short
July 12th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Personally I thought your QB last season was terrible (maybe average at best), but I only saw that one game against us. Thanks to most of the games being on ESPN+ instead of ESPN3, I didn't get to see very many MVFC games last season. I'll probably just buy it this year; I think it's only $5 a month.

With that said we never win at ILST in football and I'm not expecting anything different this year.

Agree he was not good many games, but terrible is a bit strong. The offense went into collective funk 2nd half of season ... playing #1 NDSU, #2 SDSU, #3 UNI, and then #4 ISUb in consecutive weeks 7 to 10 took a toll. So he started fairly strong and slipped as opposition defenses got better .. yet he did finish 4th among MVFC starters in QBR at 142% and 5th in pass ypg, and had 19 TD with just 5 picks. But those rankings slipped to 8th in MVFC games only. He got snakebit and our offense got very conservative in our play calling as season progressed ... put another way, much more predictable. But can't ignore his pocket sense and TD-Pick ratio .... my thinking is it was a reflection of the pressure he got to not turn it over ... let the defense and run game win games ... and he just didn't handle that pressure from coaches IMO. It looked very promising early but got suffocating watching us at times later ... and we have an all american RB who is pretty high on NFL radar. OL also started strong but struggled more as season progressed ... like I said, it was a collective thing, not just QB thing.

katss07
July 12th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Yea, it would be good to get them in our side of the bracket again. :D
What, dont you like competitive playoff games?

Katfan
July 13th, 2019, 09:11 PM
What do you guys know about Nicholls?

Katfan
July 13th, 2019, 09:13 PM
By that standard isn’t JMU the only team? ???

Katfan
July 13th, 2019, 09:15 PM

Me too. Thanks! It really sucks not making the playoffs.

POD Knows
July 13th, 2019, 09:31 PM
What, dont you like competitive playoff games?Nope, we need the playoffs to unwind and cool down from the regular season.

Derby City Duke
July 14th, 2019, 09:14 PM
On the top of my head (and not all of these teams are still FCS): Wofford, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Sam Houston State, SDSU, and???

JMU in the 1st year of NDSU's run (26-14 in Fargo) and in the January 2018 game in Frisco.

katss07
July 14th, 2019, 09:48 PM
San Diego