PDA

View Full Version : Villanova @ Colgate

Gangtackle11
June 26th, 2019, 09:52 AM
Less than 2 months away. Might as well get this party started.

AUG 24 (SAT) 12:00 P.M. CBS SPORTS NETWORK 94 WKXZ-

HAMILTON CROWN FIELD AT ANDY KERR STAD.

All-time series:
Villanova leads 3-0

Last game:
Villanova 55-28 win 2008
https://villanova.com/news/2008/11/29/Szczur_Sparks_Villanova_To_Win_Over_Colgate.aspx?p ath=football

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 26th, 2019, 10:19 AM

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/logos/Villanova.png?width=80&height=80&mode=max
AUG 24 (SAT) 12:00 P.M. CBS SPORTS NETWORK 94 WKXZ-FM

VS VILLANOVA (http://www.villanova.com/)

All-time series:
Villanova leads 3-0

Last game:
Villanova 55-28 win 2008

Love we get to watch a game a week before Labor Day with two teams that we play. So we can stream this and is there a charge for it?

The Boogie Down
June 26th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Wonder if down the road, with league title and the autobid that comes with it, this becomes the PL's hottest rivalry?

CHIP72
June 26th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Love we get to watch a game a week before Labor Day with two teams that we play. So we can stream this and is there a charge for it?

The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network (not to be confused with CBS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 26th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Wonder if down the road, with league title and the autobid that comes with it, this becomes the PL's hottest rivalry?

Villanova has OWNED the PL the last 30 years. 1987 HC, 2006 Lehigh and 2013 Fordham are Villanova's only 3 losses since the conference's inception. Lehigh's had 4-5 great chances to beat the Wildcats over the last 15 years but couldn't do it.

Colgate has a solid chance. They're going to need Breneman, Wheeler, Swaray etc to really step up until the new faces get acclimated. Fuente can't afford to get off to a slow start given the way last year finished. @ Towson then home to play Maine to begin CAA action is no joke. I still think the Wildcats can make at the playoffs. Based on history I'll be a bit surprised if they don't start 3-0 (@ Colgate, Lehigh, @ Bucknell).

Gangtackle11
June 27th, 2019, 10:05 AM
https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-preview-colgate-patriot-league-bzbz

the last indian
June 27th, 2019, 03:43 PM

AUG 24 (SAT) 12:00 P.M. CBS SPORTS NETWORK 94 WKXZ-

All-time series:
Villanova leads 3-0

Last game:
Villanova 55-28 win 2008
https://villanova.com/news/2008/11/29/Szczur_Sparks_Villanova_To_Win_Over_Colgate.aspx?p ath=football

First college game of the year, on CBSsn nationally. Should be a good game since they don't have Howie Long or Brian Westbrook.
Go 'Gate

ngineer
June 28th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Villanova has OWNED the PL the last 30 years. 1987 HC, 2006 Lehigh and 2013 Fordham are Villanova's only 3 losses since the conference's inception. Lehigh's had 4-5 great chances to beat the Wildcats over the last 15 years but couldn't do it.

Colgate has a solid chance. They're going to need Breneman, Wheeler, Swaray etc to really step up until the new faces get acclimated. Fuente can't afford to get off to a slow start given the way last year finished. @ Towson then home to play Maine to begin CAA action is no joke. I still think the Wildcats can make at the playoffs. Based on history I'll be a bit surprised if they don't start 3-0 (@ Colgate, Lehigh, @ Bucknell).

Interesting they are starting off with three PL teams...is there a message there?

van
June 28th, 2019, 06:06 PM
Interesting they are starting off with three PL teams...is there a message there?

maybe they like being 3-0?

Seawolf97
June 28th, 2019, 07:27 PM
I think the Wildcats roll with this schedule as you said 3-0 by 10/1 . We are in the same boat with Bryant, Fordham and Wagner all in September. . Utah State on 9/7 would make us 3-1 by the time we face Rhode Island .

Gangtackle11
June 29th, 2019, 07:39 AM
I think the Wildcats roll with this schedule as you said 3-0 by 10/1 . We are in the same boat with Bryant, Fordham and Wagner all in September. . Utah State on 9/7 would make us 3-1 by the time we face Rhode Island .

The Colgate game will be very telling for our Wildcats. Lots of new faces on offense including a new coordinator makes the Raiders a home favorite. It’s a must game for Nova if they want to shake the 5-6 stigma of the Ferrante era. Actually 3-0 is a must. Anything less will signal they don’t have enough to make it thru the CAA schedule. xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
June 29th, 2019, 08:09 AM
The Colgate game will be very telling for our Wildcats. Lots of new faces on offense including a new coordinator makes the Raiders a home favorite. It’s a must game for Nova if they want to shake the 5-6 stigma of the Ferrante era. Actually 3-0 is a must. Anything less will signal they don’t have enough to make it thru the CAA schedule. xpeacex

......NEED UH SIGNAL......STREET & SMIFF.....CAA # 10.........xhypedx.......BRAWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 29th, 2019, 09:45 AM

Depends on how good Colgate is. A loss to a legit Top 25 Colgate squad shouldn't hurt 'Nova too bad so long as they take care of business in the CAA. Colgate is still a slight favorite over 'Nova at home imo. Raiders went 3-0 against the CAA last year. Colgate easily would have finished among the top 2-3 in the CAA in 2018.

Gangtackle11
June 29th, 2019, 11:33 AM
......NEED UH SIGNAL......STREET & SMIFF.....CAA # 10.........xhypedx

.......BRAWK!

Magazine talk is cheap. Towson was Pre-Season #10 last season. Bigger joke is Delaware at 4.

On the field it’s 7 straight & 12 of 13......... Not much of a rivalry....BRAWK that.....xpeacex

Gangtackle11
June 29th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Depends on how good Colgate is. A loss to a legit Top 25 Colgate squad shouldn't hurt 'Nova too bad so long as they take care of business in the CAA. Colgate is still a slight favorite over 'Nova at home imo. Raiders went 3-0 against the CAA last year. Colgate easily would have finished among the top 2-3 in the CAA in 2018.

Colgate will be favored. 3-7 points should do it barring any major preseason injury. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
June 30th, 2019, 08:48 AM
On the field it’s 7 straight & 12 of 13......... Not much of a rivalry....BRAWK that.....xpeacex

well at least there are only a few dozen people in Philadelphia that know this

MR. CHICKEN
June 30th, 2019, 09:04 AM

.......xlolx...........BRAWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 30th, 2019, 11:02 AM

Sadly far more (and still not many) know the 'Cats beat the Owls last year.

When do we get to exact payback? I know Villanova has Penn State in the next few years. I have to think a Temple-Villanova deal for a few games HAS to be inked pretty soon. The breaks help imo, but I don't want this loss to have to linger more than 3-5 years.

Gangtackle11
June 30th, 2019, 02:47 PM

and most in Delaware are very aware. Lol. xpeacex

CHIP72
June 30th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Sadly far more (and still not many) know the 'Cats beat the Owls last year.

When do we get to exact payback? I know Villanova has Penn State in the next few years. I have to think a Temple-Villanova deal for a few games HAS to be inked pretty soon. The breaks help imo, but I don't want this loss to have to linger more than 3-5 years.

Temple/Villanova (IMO, very obviously) is one of the very few FBS vs FCS/DI-A vs DI-AA matchups that should be played fairly often. (IMO, Syracuse/Colgate is another, though probably not to the same degree as Temple/Villanova. Having said that, I think it would be great for upstate central New York fans if the Red Raiders made the fairly short trip to the Carrier Dome fairly often, maybe not every year but at least 30-50% of the teams’ seasons.) I’d be surprised if Temple and Villanova aren’t back on each other’s schedules by 2023 or 2024 at the latest.

Relative to the above, I’d really like to see Villanova and Penn start playing each other regularly again, especially if Villanova does move to the Patriot League for football at some point. Both schools have fallen off at least to some degree on the field since they stopped playing each other (though of course the discontinuation of the series roughly coincides with long time head coaches Andy Talley and Al Bagnoli stepping down at VU and Penn respectively).

OT relative to this thread - the big question is when the (IMO) likely, future Temple/Lehigh football matchup inevitably occurs, who will GLTUOwl root for? 😊

caribbeanhen
June 30th, 2019, 04:25 PM

Not sure about that anymore GT

Why all the rumors about Villanova moving to the patriot league anyway?

Gangtackle11
June 30th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Not sure about that anymore GT

Why all the rumors about Villanova moving to the patriot league anyway?

Now that Talley is gone & we are floundering under Ferrante there are some at Nova that have thought the Patriot is the best fit for a private school not all in for football.

Competing against the large public institutions may not be the best fit. Nova aligns academically with the Patriot. A few more 2-6 CAA seasons will only brighten the light on a CAA to Patriot League move. Time will tell. xpeacex

DFW HOYA
June 30th, 2019, 06:20 PM
Competing against the large public institutions may not be the best fit. Nova aligns academically with the Patriot. A few more 2-6 CAA seasons will only brighten the light on a CAA to Patriot League move. Time will tell.

Poor results are not a good reason to move conferences. If it were, Georgetown would have left for the NEC 10 years ago.

2006: 2-9
2007: 1-10
2008: 2-8
2009: 0-11

Gangtackle11
June 30th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Poor results are not a good reason to move conferences. If it were, Georgetown would have left for the NEC 10 years ago.

The reasons are to academically align with same size private institutions. Football is the only sport that doesn’t participate in the Big East. Moving them to a private school league with an emphasis on academics makes sense to some at Villanova. A prospect of poor records adds additional incentive. xpeacex

van
June 30th, 2019, 07:51 PM
one thing for sure, Nova would be welcome in a heartbeat

RichH2
July 1st, 2019, 09:39 AM
I dont really see another round of conference shifting in the northeast any time soon. PL is bouncing on the bottom but has over the last 2 years started to rebuild the league. Colgate and Georgetown right now are the only stable programs both succeeding. All others are in various stages of rebuilding. Hard to envision Nova or anyone else looking at the PL as a desirous destination right now.
I agree with owl that ,if the stars are aligned correctly :), the PL can have 3 teams with winning records next season.Hoyas are a virtual lock. Gate ,albeit a tough OOC and losing 25 srs, will likely also have a winning record. Lehigh and Holy Cross have decent shots at winning seasons. Cross well set on the field in need only for a QB. They have a truly brutal OOC tho. Lehigh also need a QB but returns most of its starters. A healthy OL and a complete coaching staff were our biggest needs last year. Hopefully both have been resolved correctly.

MR. CHICKEN
July 1st, 2019, 11:21 AM

......AS DEMENTIA RATE.....SKY [email protected]'T REMEMBERAH.....WHO WE LOSE TO......AS PLAY-OFFS....ARE DUH GOAL.........SO....KEEP DUH STINKIN' TROPHY....IT'LL OWN-LAH TURN......IN NEXT.....REFINERY FIRE....ANY-WHO......................AWQ!

van
July 1st, 2019, 06:30 PM
Mr Chicken is off the wagon!

NY Crusader 2010
July 1st, 2019, 08:34 PM

Ironically, the NEC is now just as strong of a league as the PL, if not slightly better at the moment.

MR. CHICKEN
July 1st, 2019, 10:51 PM
NY Crusader 2010[/B];2778216]Ironically, the NEC is now just as strong of a league as the PL, if not slightly better at the moment.

......DIDN'T WANNA SHATTER........YOUSE...STUCK-UPS......FEELIN'S.............OR AH'D UH SAID IT.........MAH OWN SELF.............xwhistlex..........DOODLE-DOO!

caribbeanhen
July 2nd, 2019, 07:30 AM
Now that Talley is gone & we are floundering under Ferrante there are some at Nova that have thought the Patriot is the best fit for a private school not all in for football.

Competing against the large public institutions may not be the best fit. Nova aligns academically with the Patriot. A few more 2-6 CAA seasons will only brighten the light on a CAA to Patriot League move. Time will tell. xpeacex

Sorry to hear that GT

fire the Coach and stay in the CAA for crying out loud......

van
July 2nd, 2019, 11:22 AM
Ironically, the NEC is now just as strong of a league as the PL, if not slightly better at the moment.
NEC is close but don't think it is quite equal, top PL better that top NEC and bottom PL better than bottom NEC, but not by much

Gater
July 2nd, 2019, 11:35 AM
Would be great if 'Nova agreed to come to PL but only if redshirting and 63 rides allowed. Fordham pushed the whole league into scholarships, would be great if 'Nova could take it the rest of the way. Their odds of making the playoffs would certainly increase with so few PL teams actively competing for the autobid each year (which might be changing). Can see AI as the thing the league wouldn't bend on. Have no idea how that would apply to 'Nova.

Go Green
July 2nd, 2019, 11:57 AM
top PL better that top NEC

That part of the theory may be tested this season given the talent that Colgate graduated this past spring.

van
July 2nd, 2019, 11:59 AM
That part of the theory may be tested this season given the talent that Colgate graduated this past spring.

they did lose a lot but retain some quality guys on D and a very sound QB, unless they have key injuries I see them as being very good again this year

Gangtackle11
July 3rd, 2019, 08:36 AM
Transfer QB from Campbell will be a positive for Nova this season. It’s his job to lose IMHO for this upcoming season as the young QBs get more seasoning. I’m a bit more optimistic about Nova now for the upcoming season.

Will be a dangerous #10 seed in the CAA with a capable passing game. Don’t sleep on them if they do. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
August 1st, 2019, 01:42 PM
Won’t be long now to when the Wildcats & Red Raiders kick off the college football season. xpeacex

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 3rd, 2019, 11:01 AM
Won’t be long now to when the Wildcats & Red Raiders kick off the college football season. xpeacex

3 weeks from exactly now, can't wait. Have not been this excited for football evah, might have something to do with the potential that exists with our teamxcoffeex

Gate83
August 3rd, 2019, 03:05 PM
Here are the 'Gate quotes from the PL football media kickoff. I like how coach Hunt emphasizes that while we're replacing starters, it isn't with guys who haven't played before. That and an experienced Oline/QB combo is definitely cause for optimism. Hope they find a few receivers. In any case, also looking forward to the 24th!

https://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2019/7/31/football-patriot-league-fb-teleconference-recap.aspx

RootinFerDukes
August 3rd, 2019, 03:30 PM
This game is going to be brutal heat in our global warming oven of a planet at noon on August 24th. The better conditioned and hydrated team will win.

Gangtackle11
August 3rd, 2019, 04:57 PM
This game is going to be brutal heat in our global warming oven of a planet at noon on August 24th. The better conditioned and hydrated team will win.

Long range forecast high of 79, low of 61. Of course they can’t tell u about tomorrow’s weather accurately so take with a grain of salt.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 3rd, 2019, 05:05 PM
Maybe I attend this one?!?! Early morning round at Seven Oaks? hmmm....xchinscratchx

RootinFerDukes
August 3rd, 2019, 06:46 PM
Long range forecast high of 79, low of 61. Of course they can’t tell u about tomorrow’s weather accurately so take with a grain of salt.

A weather forecast more than a week out is a complete shot in the dark.

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 3rd, 2019, 08:29 PM
A weather forecast more than a week out is a complete shot in the dark.

I agree about the long range forecast not to accurate but on the same hand Virgina weather and New England weather are very very different.

Gate83
August 3rd, 2019, 10:34 PM
Global warming means instead of snow showers it'll be 55 & raining in Hammy towards the end of August. Owl, if you come north for golf let me know... I'll be there!

gofurman
August 3rd, 2019, 11:51 PM
Villanova should win this. I hated all that junk about how Furman would have lost to Colgate last year.. xdrunkyx

Tally: Furman 3 - Colgate ZERO

No real heckling - don't get defensive - Just that we win every time by about THIRTY. Yes, 30 ! And in our last outing in 2017 (mostly same players as last year on both teams!) we won by.. 31 ! 45-14 in 2017... wait for it.. AT COLGATE.

Still don't know why people think Furman wouldn't have won last year AT FURMAN when we have never lost to Colgate and every game looks the same. There is a speed difference. The Colgate announcers (I listened to their broadcast) couldn't get over the speed difference - esp at LB - after the 2017 game.

Furman 2017 - Good Furman team wins AT COLGATE 45-14. Furman was 0-3 entering that game and probably doubting itself... then we ran off several wins to make the playoffs...
Furman 2010 - OK Furman team wins in GREENVILLE 45 - 15.
Furman 2008 - OK (at best) Furman team wins 42 - 21 AT COLGATE.

There is an undeniable pattern for sure.

That said, hope it's a good game. I really respect both schools - great academics / athletics ! Like I said, no need to be defensive about my pose.. just noting our last outings vs a school I respect.

Also, I would love to get to a game at both Colgate and Villanova someday ! I bet they are nice campuses

Gangtackle11
August 4th, 2019, 05:53 AM
Villanova should win this. I hated all that junk about how Furman would have lost to Colgate last year.. xdrunkyx

No real heckling - don't get defensive - Just that we win every time by about THIRTY. Yes, 30 ! And in our last outing in 2017 (mostly same players as last year on both teams!) we won by.. 31 ! 45-14 in 2017... wait for it.. AT COLGATE.

Still don't know why people think Furman wouldn't have won last year AT FURMAN when we have never lost to Colgate and every game looks the same. There is a speed difference. The Colgate announcers (I listened to their broadcast) couldn't get over the speed difference - esp at LB - after the 2017 game.

Furman 2017 - Good Furman team wins AT COLGATE 45-14. Furman was 0-3 entering that game and probably doubting itself... then we ran off several wins to make the playoffs...

That said, hope it's a good game. I really respect both schools - great academics / athletics ! Like I said, no need to be defensive about my pose.. just noting our last outings vs a school I respect.

Also, I would love to get to a game at both Colgate and Villanova someday ! I bet they are nice campuses

Maybe now that your AD is a Nova man that may happen with us. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
August 4th, 2019, 05:55 AM
I agree about the long range forecast not to accurate but on the same hand Virgina weather and New England weather are very very different.

You can see the North Pole with a good pair of binoculars from Hamilton, NY. xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
August 4th, 2019, 07:26 AM

......CONCRETE JUNGLE.....WHIFF UH COUPLE BASKETBALLS.......LAYIN'.....'ROUND......xthumbsdo wnx......BRAWK!

......YOUSE LOST YER FIRST THREE GAMES.......LAST YEAR.......SO YER ASSUMPTION.....IS SUSPECT......xeyebrowx.....AWQ!

gofurman
August 4th, 2019, 07:57 AM
......CONCRETE JUNGLE.....WHIFF UH COUPLE BASKETBALLS.......LAYIN'.....'ROUND......xthumbsdo wnx......BRAWK!

......YOUSE LOST YER FIRST THREE GAMES.......LAST YEAR.......SO YER ASSUMPTION.....IS SUSPECT......xeyebrowx.....AWQ!

"...YOUSE LOST YER FIRST THREE GAMES.......LAST YEAR.......SO YER ASSUMPTION.....IS SUSPECT......xeyebrowx.....AWQ!"
Mr. Chicken - that actually SUPPORTS my theory... see above. We were 0-3 in 2017 and given no chance to beat Colgate. We won 45-14 in an utter BEATDOWN .. . AT COLGATE. Deja Vu all over again - except this time it woulda been in Greenville.

Oh well, I hope this is a fun game for everyone involved. xnodx

RootinFerDukes
August 4th, 2019, 09:05 AM

The state of New York is not part of New England. It begins in CT, MA and VT.

TheValleyRaider
August 4th, 2019, 01:12 PM

Weird how, given all this is supposed to be evidence for Villanova winning, I don't really see much in here about Villanova xrolleyesx

RootinFerDukes
August 4th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Massey Predictor 2018

Colgate at Furman

Raiders 74% chance of winning 21-14.

BUT 3-0 ALL TIME!

Gangtackle11
August 4th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Villanova preview via herosports:

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-preview-villanova-caa-colonial-ajaj (https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-preview-villanova-caa-colonial-ajaj)

gofurman
August 4th, 2019, 06:20 PM
Massey Predictor 2018

Colgate at Furman

BUT 3-0 ALL TIME!

Riiiight - Same ol' same ol' - when we went up there in 2017 we were 0-3 that season and we were not given much of a chance to win that game by most people on here. I bet Massey had us as an underdog then too. Furman Won by THIRTY ONE at their place. I recall a lot of people on AGS were shocked how easy we won. And you guys are very knowledgeable. Maybe we can play them in playoffs one year.

Look, I'm not claiming scores from 1980. Especially the 2017. bet Colgate was favored then too.. mostly same players on both teams.. we killed em ON THE ROAD. Why think they could beat us in Greenville?

Anyway, again, both are great schools - much respect. xdrunkyx

gofurman
August 4th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Weird how, given all this is supposed to be evidence for Villanova winning, I don't really see much in here about Villanova xrolleyesx

admit I don't know a ton about Villanova this year. Congrats on how the 'Gate has really improved !!! seriously, that's awesome.

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 4th, 2019, 07:25 PM

Thanks Rootin for educated a Mainah on the boundaries of New England, point is New York State is likely to have much better football on 8/24 than VA will. Today most of New England and NY state was in the upper 70's low 80's as is the forecast for the next 5-6 days.

FUBeAR
August 4th, 2019, 09:28 PM
Massey Predictor 2018

Colgate at Furman

BUT 3-0 ALL TIME!

Massey Predictor 2018

Elon at JMU

Dukes 87% chance of winning 30-14.

BUT...L 24-27!

Gangtackle11
August 4th, 2019, 09:48 PM
Massey predicts Delaware to beat Nova just about every year. How’s that been working out? Just sayin’ xpeacex

Schism55
August 5th, 2019, 10:42 AM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1158402129704497152

vutomcat
August 8th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Any inside information on who our starting quarterback will be opening day at Colgate?

KPSUL
August 8th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Transfer QB from Campbell will be a positive for Nova this season. It’s his job to lose IMHO for this upcoming season as the young QBs get more seasoning. I’m a bit more optimistic about Nova now for the upcoming season.

Will be a dangerous #10 seed in the CAA with a capable passing game. Don’t sleep on them if they do. xpeacex

Is that transfer from Campbell University or Campbell Soup Co.? Things can't be looking too good when a QB transfer from Campbell is seen as your best hope for a winning season.

KPSUL
August 8th, 2019, 04:13 PM

True, but the weather ain't much different in Hamilton, NY. Actually Hamilton is more like Northern NE. Harrisonburg is not very different than CT or RI, maybe you'd say, slightly different.

wapiti
August 8th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Where's the poll?

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Is that transfer from Campbell University or Campbell Soup Co.? Things can't be looking too good when a QB transfer from Campbell is seen as your best hope for a winning season.

Shhh. You said the quiet part out loud.

Gangtackle11
August 8th, 2019, 07:08 PM
Where's the poll?
Added. Vote to your heart’s desire! xpeacex

Gangtackle11
August 11th, 2019, 10:34 PM
Breaking up summer camp with a Ocean City, NJ visit.

https://twitter.com/novafootball/status/1160702142451200001?s=21

UNHWildcat18
August 12th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Yeah its called 3- D1 wins without traveling very far to save $$$$

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 12th, 2019, 09:08 AM
The Wedge's Colgate Preview

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/2019-patriot-league-preview-colgate/

I feel like this is a huge game for Colgate. A loss to 'Nova and the Raiders could be fighting to finish over .500....

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 12th, 2019, 10:40 AM
The Wedge's Colgate Preview

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/2019-patriot-league-preview-colgate/

I feel like this is a huge game for Colgate. A loss to 'Nova and the Raiders could be fighting to finish over .500....

Nice overview on the Gate. I knew they loss a lot to graduation and have their QB back but how times do you lose every receiver that caught a pass. Talk about an unknown receiving corpsxbowx

smilo
August 12th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Villanova still does not have a kicker, which keeps me in Option 1 territory for the poll question rather than thinking this is a one possession loss.

centraljerseycat
August 12th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Villanova still does not have a kicker, which keeps me in Option 1 territory for the poll question rather than thinking this is a one possession loss.

Best we can hope for is an average kicker. Even on Talley's best teams we never had a great kicker. It's always baffled the hell out of me. Talley had prolific offenses, decent defenses (especially against the run) but always seemed to put out a 7th grade Pop Warner team to do the placekicking....

grayghost06
August 12th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Last four seasons, JMU is 4-0 against 'Nova and 0-2 against Colgate. Maybe you Wildcats can show us how to beat those guys.

Gangtackle11
August 12th, 2019, 04:29 PM
Nice overview on the Gate. I knew they loss a lot to graduation and have their QB back but how times do you lose every receiver that caught a pass. Talk about an unknown receiving corpsxbowx

Villanova’s strength on defense is their D-backs. CAA Rookie of the Year William Benford is a major talent in the making & a shut down corner. Jaquan Amos was preseason HM All-CAA only because Nova was picked a lowly 9th in preseason poll.

Nova will need to find a way to put pressure on Colgate QB, but even if they don’t these 2 Dbs will be like fly paper to Colgate receivers most plays. New DC Ola Adams is a big plus for Nova. Expect blitzes from all angles. The CB talent affords Nova to send the house if need be to get to Colgate’s talented QB.xpeacex

KPSUL
August 12th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Last four seasons, JMU is 4-0 against 'Nova and 0-2 against Colgate. Maybe you Wildcats can show us how to beat those guys.

You may want to talk to Richmond. They beat Colgate the last two times they played; 2016 & 17.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 12th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Villanova’s strength on defense is their D-backs. CAA Rookie of the Year William Benford is a major talent in the making & a shut down corner. Jaquan Amos was preseason HM All-CAA only because Nova was picked a lowly 9th in preseason poll.

Nova will need to find a way to put pressure on Colgate QB, but even if they don’t these 2 Dbs will be like fly paper to Colgate receivers most plays. New DC Ola Adams is a big plus for Nova. Expect blitzes from all angles. The CB talent affords Nova to send the house if need be to get to Colgate’s talented QB.xpeacex

Honestly, I think blitzing Colgate wouldn't be the best route. Their OL is exceptional and Breneman is good enough to break contain and do damage with his legs. I'd honestly play rather basic defense, don't give up the big play and trust that Colgate doesn't have the weapons to methodically drive the ball down the field.

Gangtackle11
August 12th, 2019, 06:35 PM
Honestly, I think blitzing Colgate wouldn't be the best route. Their OL is exceptional and Breneman is good enough to break contain and do damage with his legs. I'd honestly play rather basic defense, don't give up the big play and trust that Colgate doesn't have the weapons to methodically drive the ball down the field.

I wrote “if need be” xpeacex

Gangtackle11
August 14th, 2019, 05:57 PM

That’s a good stat if you are a Colgate fan. Villanova is something like 37-4 vs. Patriot teams since 2000. I like that stat better. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 14th, 2019, 07:16 PM
That’s a good stat if you are a Colgate fan. Villanova is something like 37-4 vs. Patriot teams since 2000. I like that stat better. xpeacex

More like 3 losses to PL teams since its formation iirc, '87 Holy Cross, '06 Lehigh and '13 Fordham. For comparison sakes, 'Nova has 3 wins against Temple since 2003.

Gangtackle11
August 14th, 2019, 07:24 PM
More like 3 losses to PL teams since its formation iirc, '87 Holy Cross, '06 Lehigh and '13 Fordham. For comparison sakes, 'Nova has 3 wins against Temple since 2003.

Right. I counted 21-2 since 2000, but I could have missed a win or 2. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
August 17th, 2019, 07:42 AM
One week to gameday.

7 day forecast: Sunny, High of 69 Low of 49.

Perfect football weather. xpeacex

SU DOG
August 17th, 2019, 08:57 AM
The line for Colgate has dropped down to 3 points. The over/under is still 36.5 points. This is extremely low, IMO, and there is no other game, FCS or FBS, that I saw currently with this low of a point total. Is there some reason to expect such a low scoring game? Just curious.

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 17th, 2019, 10:01 AM
The line for Colgate has dropped down to 3 points. The over/under is still 36.5 points. This is extremely low, IMO, and there is no other game, FCS or FBS, that I saw currently with this low of a point total. Is there some reason to expect such a low scoring game? Just curious.

Colgate had the #1 defense in FCS last year giving up only 29 pts total to FCS teams and returning a couple of all americans guess they feel they will have another good year on defense. Then the fact that not one WR for the Gate has ever caught a pass in college probably means their scoring throwing will be limited at least early in the year. I'll let Gangtackle discuss Nova's offense but don't think they will be a high powered offense.

Gangtackle11
August 17th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Definitely not a high powered offense, but it got better from spring ball with Campbell QB transferring in. They have talent at skill positions that could surprise to more offense. That said I don’t think it’s more than a 3 TD team most Saturdays. Nova will try to win time of possession instead of a quick strike game. Lots of questions about Nova for CAA season, but this should be a competitive game. Will speak volumes if not. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 17th, 2019, 01:56 PM
I'm committed to going! Can't wait for some live football!!

TheValleyRaider
August 17th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Definitely not a high powered offense, but it got better from spring ball with Campbell QB transferring in. They have talent at skill positions that could surprise to more offense. That said I don’t think it’s more than a 3 TD team most Saturdays. Nova will try to win time of possession instead of a quick strike game. Lots of questions about Nova for CAA season, but this should be a competitive game. Will speak volumes if not. xpeacex

Like looking into a mirror, really

Colgate will attempt to do more or less the same, though it will be interesting to see how much they want to play it offensively: open it up with an experienced QB, or be conservative with all new receivers.

20-17 (which is basically what that Vegas line is setting) does feel low to me, especially in the way the modern game is played

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 17th, 2019, 02:25 PM
I'm committed to going! Can't wait for some live football!!

Go Lehigh, let me know the game experience from Colgate, everything from tailgating to game time. It is a 500 mile trip from Orono, could make the Albany trip which is only a mere 400milesxlolx

Gangtackle11
August 17th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Villanova should be solid defensively again this season. Cats run a 3-3-5 and their back 8 are very solid. Upfront they have some question marks, but they have a talented DE in Malik Fisher who has been proven to be up & down with his performances. He has a high ceiling as a pass rusher, but needs to do it week in, week out.

Colgate will have a hard time attacking the Cats corners. Both could be All-CAA level & I would think even the best receivers will have trouble getting free if Nova can make the Qb uncomfortable & not sit back and survey the field. Nova will bring a LB or 2 with a 3 man front, but if they have to bring more the very good Colgate QB may have a big day with his legs. Nova has been a very stingy team to run on the past few seasons. The lack of consistent pressure does leave the secondary exposed against good teams.

The kicking game is a box of chocolates & I surmise it will be more of the same on FGs/XP’s. The punter handles kickoffs & is very good. Would be All-CAA if not the Delaware punter. Special teams for several seasons now have well not been very special sans the punting game.

Looking forward to the game.

Coach Ferrante needs to put a winner on the field this season. It all starts Saturday in Hamilton! xpeacex

TheValleyRaider
August 18th, 2019, 10:41 AM
News and notes from Hamilton

Team captains for 2019 (https://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2019/8/16/raiders-name-team-captains.aspx): QB Grant Breneman, DB Aidan Gaertner, DL Cam Rohr, OL Jovaun Woolford. Picked after an application and interview process

Interviews with Breneman and DL Nick Wheeler: https://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2019/8/15/football-colgate-raider-report-podcast-debuts.aspx

Gangtackle11
August 19th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Nova will surprise a bit to the upside unless our transfer QB is a complete bust. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
August 19th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Nova will surprise a bit to the upside unless our transfer QB is a complete bust. xpeacex

This rhinestone cowboy transfer quarterback from Galveston better be the second coming of Chris Whitney gang tackle .... I mean you sure do sound pretty excited about the Glenn Campbell kid. Haha

Gangtackle11
August 19th, 2019, 07:10 PM
This rhinestone cowboy transfer quarterback from Galveston better be the second coming of Chris Whitney gang tackle .... I mean you sure do sound pretty excited about the Glenn Campbell kid. Haha

He’s no Chris Whitney at 5’11” tops, but Nova needed a boost offensively. He’s our version of Nolan Henderson. We’ll know soon enough. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 20th, 2019, 07:34 AM
Go Lehigh, let me know the game experience from Colgate, everything from tailgating to game time. It is a 500 mile trip from Orono, could make the Albany trip which is only a mere 400milesxlolx

I've been to Colgate a bunch of times for games; almost always vs Lehigh. The last time was for their playoff game against JMU this past December. It's certainly not a rah-rah atmosphere but the stadium and game day atmosphere is still enjoyable. Plus, the town and campus are about as bucolic as it gets for CNY!

I would pick Colgate over Albany because 1. Colgate is better and 2. it's a nicer place to spend a late summer/early fall Saturday.

Gangtackle11
August 20th, 2019, 01:27 PM
I've been to Colgate a bunch of times for games; almost always vs Lehigh. The last time was for their playoff game against JMU this past December. It's certainly not a rah-rah atmosphere but the stadium and game day atmosphere is still enjoyable. Plus, the town and campus are about as bucolic as it gets for CNY!

I would pick Colgate over Albany because 1. Colgate is better and 2. it's a nicer place to spend a late summer/early fall Saturday.

My impression of Hamilton is its Bedford Falls from “Its a Wonderful Life” Dan Hunt is a descendent of Potter. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
August 20th, 2019, 04:58 PM
Colgate fans. Where does the visiting team tailgate?

Thanks.

Kidding about the Potter remark...,xpeacex

Gate83
August 20th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Colgate fans. Where does the visiting team tailgate?

Thanks.

Kidding about the Potter remark...,xpeacex

As you come into town (assuming you're coming generally north thru Binghamton) you will arrive in the metropolis of Hamilton via route 12B. The first traffic light you see will be College Street... make a left & you'll see the stadium on your left in a few hundred yards. Go past it, make a left into the grass tailgate lot, think parking is $5. Set up, have fun! It's pretty mellow, particularly with the kids no longer allowed to do what we used to do.

If you have time, wander back towards the lot on the other side of the field... nearest to the hockey rink. I tailgate there with a bunch of guys from the 70's/80's. I'm a red headed guy in a Gate shirt & not hard to spot. Happy to buy you a cocktail!

Dan is Jimmy Stewart, by the way. Couldn't be a better guy...

Gangtackle11
August 20th, 2019, 07:21 PM
As you come into town (assuming you're coming generally north thru Binghamton) you will arrive in the metropolis of Hamilton via route 12B. The first traffic light you see will be College Street... make a left & you'll see the stadium on your left in a few hundred yards. Go past it, make a left into the grass tailgate lot, think parking is $5. Set up, have fun! It's pretty mellow, particularly with the kids no longer allowed to do what we used to do.

If you have time, wander back towards the lot on the other side of the field... nearest to the hockey rink. I tailgate there with a bunch of guys from the 70's/80's. I'm a red headed guy in a Gate shirt & not hard to spot. Happy to buy you a cocktail!

Dan is Jimmy Stewart, by the way. Couldn't be a better guy...

Thanks for the info & offer......xpeacex

Gate83
August 21st, 2019, 08:15 AM
Gate game notes & 2 deep. Looks like they came through camp without any major injuries...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gocolgateraiders.com/documents/2019/8/20/2019_Colgate_Football_Game_Notes_Villanova_.pdf

Gangtackle11
August 21st, 2019, 04:54 PM
CAA Look at Nova:

Preview: https://twitter.com/caafootball/status/1164206279767646209?s=21

Offense: https://twitter.com/caafootball/status/1164224688584712192?s=21

Defense: https://twitter.com/caafootball/status/1164244068672499712?s=21

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2019, 03:32 PM
Villanova Game Notes:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/villanova.com/documents/2019/8/22/G1_Colgate.pdf

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2019, 08:38 AM
The Wedge's take....

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/patriot-league-week-1-preview-colgates-title-defense-commences/

Gangtackle11
August 23rd, 2019, 09:39 AM
The Wedge's take....

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/patriot-league-week-1-preview-colgates-title-defense-commences/

Should be a good one. Perfect weather forecast. It’s here. Cats need to make an early season statement & then not fold when CAA schedule comes into play. Go ‘Cats!! xpeacex

caribbeanhen
August 23rd, 2019, 04:41 PM
tv or online viewing options for the opener?

TribePride52
August 23rd, 2019, 05:32 PM

believe it is on CBS Sports Live

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2019, 05:41 PM

CBS Sportsnetwork!

caribbeanhen
August 23rd, 2019, 05:49 PM
Thank you gentlemen
I appreciate the response on the TV viewing for the technically retarded

ItÂ’s time to see if this Roku device is worth itÂ’s salt

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2019, 06:03 PM
I'm heading up tomorrow morning. Should arrive in Hamilton around 10:30-11. I have a t-time at Seven Oaks after! Hopefully the game doesn't go to OT with daylight dwindling. Going to be a great afternoon!

Gate83
August 23rd, 2019, 10:21 PM
I'm heading up tomorrow morning. Should arrive in Hamilton around 10:30-11. I have a t-time at Seven Oaks after! Hopefully the game doesn't go to OT with daylight dwindling. Going to be a great afternoon!

Will be in the lot closest to the hockey rink owl, stop by if convenient! Played today, greens aren't as fast as in past years but overall the course is in great shape. You will have fun!

bonarae
August 23rd, 2019, 11:22 PM
'Gate wins but it will be close; margin less than a TD.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Not sure I'm going to make kickoff. Stuck on 81 south of Binghamton.

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 11:07 AM
College Football is underway!

Villanova 0
Colgate 0
14:56 1st

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Villanova 0
Colgate 0
End 1st

As advertised, a defensive struggle. Both teams have hurt themselves with mistakes, but the defenses have been solid so far. Nova is driving, and has looked a little more explosive so far, but we'll see if they can finish the drive

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 11:49 AM
They do, Wildcats strike first on a pass to Jackson out of the backfield.

7-0 Villanova
14:20 2nd

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Breneman with a terriblepick 6. Gate not looking good...

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Pick 6, Amos took a Breneman pass to the house. Threw behind the receiver after pressure in his face.

14-0 Villanova
13:16

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Perfect day for football and golf! Nice crowd here in Hamilton. Plenty of Nova fans...

KPSUL
August 24th, 2019, 11:59 AM
To this point it looks like Colgate lost way to much to graduation last Spring.

RichH2
August 24th, 2019, 12:01 PM
So far Gate being outplayed. If they are the best of the PL this year, a daunting outlook for PL in OOC games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 12:04 PM
So far Gate being outplayed. If they are the best of the PL this year, a daunting outlook for PL in OOC games.

Offense is struggling. OL getting whipped.

The competition is stepped up this year. Need to measure up....

KPSUL
August 24th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Perfect day for football and golf! Nice crowd here in Hamilton. Plenty of Nova fans...

I wonder why they don't go to games in their own stadium?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 12:25 PM
This is a huge drive before half. Nova OL leaning on Gate D.

Huge play action for Nova! Gate better man up for the aecond half. Dont want to go from the Penfhouse to Patsie. ...

TheValleyRaider
Deep ball to Hodge behind the defense, and Nova scores again. PAT off the bar, though

20-0 Villanova
2:07 2nd

Sader87
This one is probably ovah.....Colgate has to score here before H 20-0 (missed XP) 2:07

KPSUL
August 24th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Colgate "NFL Prospect" Corner beaten bad on the last TD

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 12:32 PM
This one is probably ovah.....Colgate has to score here before H 20-0 (missed XP) 2:07

Hunt needs to rally the troops. Gate getting beat up front. With Air Force next week Gate has no where to hide. Got to better and win...

Sader87
August 24th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Villanova is clearly the bettah team....methinks the PL is going to be WIDE OPEN this season

CHIP72
August 24th, 2019, 12:34 PM
I can't say I'm surprised by how this game is going. Under Mark Ferrante, Villanova has started their seasons well before falling apart (and then beating Delaware in the season finale). Meanwhile, the Patriot League is so weak, so I thought Colgate might be a paper tiger.

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Smith finds Perez for another score, Nova drove right down the field

27-0 Villanova
0:12

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Smith finds Perez for another score, Nova drove right down the field

27-0 Villanova
0:12

This is ugly! Wow!

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Colgate kneels out the clock

Villanova 27
Colgate 0
Halftime

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Colgate definity preyed on a cupcake schedule last year. They struggled in the OOC in 16 and 17. As the flag bearer of the PL heading into the season this is embarrassing...

TheValleyRaider
That got out of hand quickly. Colgate clearly feeling the losses from graduation. Offense looks a bit out of sorts, though some of that is the Villanova defense. Those two turnovers, the fumble and interception, that both led to scores were killer. Raider defense looking out of gas. They need the offense to sustain their drives and get some points.

Wildcats get the ball in the second half

RichH2
Oh my. Gate getting stomped.
No disrespect for Raiders but I have to hope they just arent nearly as good this year. We play Nova in a couple of weeks.

UNHWildcat18
August 24th, 2019, 12:44 PM
Villanova is clearly the bettah team....methinks the PL is going to be WIDE OPEN this season

I think you guys have a strong chance to take it!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 12:47 PM
I think you guys have a strong chance to take it!

If it's gate or hc good chance theyll have a .500 or worse record.

BTW, Nova just clowns the PL..

caribbeanhen
August 24th, 2019, 12:48 PM

That Plenty of nova fans comment is just piling on....really?

jmu007
August 24th, 2019, 12:49 PM
I picked Nova in the CAA pick em for that reason alone. Seems like they always beat PL teams early in the year. Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but that was my logic.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 12:52 PM
This is a good science experiment season for the schollie era. Gate maxed out last year where other PL teams have been before. They returned some really good pieces but took big hits as well. They'll likely get the tough OOC they cherished. Now they got to meet the challenge and not fold like a cheap tent.

Sader87
August 24th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Colgate (as all teams are) is a different team this year. How many guys did they lose on D? Brenneman (sp?) really doesn't seem to have the weapons he had last year.

They were no joke last year, maybe an easy OOC, but they played a very good Army team tough, won some playoff games etc.

Different year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Gate with a complete brain fart 15 yard penalty to start the half on a touchback.

POD Knows
August 24th, 2019, 01:13 PM
I had Villanova by more than 7 in this game, yet I had Colgate at 14 in my poll. That is genius for you.

Go Green
August 24th, 2019, 01:15 PM
This could be the year Georgetown wins the PL?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Gate needs a TD on this drive...

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 01:19 PM
TD Gate...not dead yet...

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Breneman finds Draught, he's in for the score, Colgate on the board!

27-7 Villanova
6:27 3rd

Laker
August 24th, 2019, 01:22 PM
They said that Colgate only gave up 25 points int he second quarter all last season, and today they gave up 27. At least they just broke up the shutout.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Gate inside the Novs 10 to start the 4th. Raiders Much better in the 2nd half...

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Colgate driving after a big run by Twyman into Nova territory, Breneman finds Diaco to set up first and goal...

Villanova 27
Colgate 7
End 3rd

uofmman1122
August 24th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Ruh Roh

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Breneman keeps it himself on 4th down, TOUCHDOWN! This one's not quite over yet...

27-14 Villanova
13:26 4th

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 01:48 PM
TD Gate! Game on!

KPSUL
August 24th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Colgate showing some character here. 27-14 early in the 4th, I'd like to see them continue the comeback!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Nova loving the go routes today. Surprised how much theyre passing...

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 01:58 PM
TD Nova. Theyre OC got smart and put the drive in the OL's hands. They got way too pass happy...

Schism55
August 24th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Nova's QB is a helluva player xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Smith with a big run to cap off a solid Nova drive. 2-pt attempt is good, but called back for a penalty. Nova kicks, and converts

34-14 Villanova
8:41 4th

uofmman1122
August 24th, 2019, 02:02 PM
That should do it.

CHIP72
August 24th, 2019, 02:10 PM

What would really be funny is if Georgetown had a great year (finish the season undefeated) and merited consideration for a seed in the playoffs. What would the NCAA do?

TheKingpin28
August 24th, 2019, 02:21 PM
What would really be funny is if Georgetown had a great year (finish the season undefeated) and merited consideration for a seed in the playoffs. What would the NCAA do?

Honest question, who on that schedule, (believing they go 11-0) warrants consideration for a seed?

Davidson
Marist
Catholic University
Columbia
Cornell
Fordham
Lafayette
Lehigh
Colgate
Bucknell
Holy Cross

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 02:25 PM
Villanova 34
Colgate 14
Final

Bisonator
August 24th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Definitely surprised by the score. Congrats to the Cats on the first FCS win this season!

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2019, 02:43 PM
This one got away from them in the 2nd quarter. Bad mistakes really cost them, some due to new guys, some on the Nova defense. Response was good in the 2nd half, but the hole was too deep. There were some bright spots at times, but certainly not enough.

Losses were clearly too great to simply repeat last season, but that's no surprise. Too early to write off the season (Villanova certainly should feel optimistic coming out of that one), but it doesn't get any easier at Air Force.

Also, good luck to Nova the rest of the way. Make this one look less bad down the line, would ya?

DFW HOYA
August 24th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Colgate could go winless in September and still win the league. That's the kind of PL the presidents have created.

Sader87
August 24th, 2019, 03:11 PM
The preseason Top 2 in PL Preseason Poll, HC and Colgate, could very easily start 0-4 and 0-5 respectively.

Thing is though, both Colgate and HC have historically liked to "schedule up" so the fans won't panic...much :)

Tough on the players...but it will hopefully pay dividends down the road.

Gangtackle11
August 24th, 2019, 03:48 PM
This one got away from them in the 2nd quarter. Bad mistakes really cost them, some due to new guys, some on the Nova defense. Response was good in the 2nd half, but the hole was too deep. There were some bright spots at times, but certainly not enough.

Losses were clearly too great to simply repeat last season, but that's no surprise. Too early to write off the season (Villanova certainly should feel optimistic coming out of that one), but it doesn't get any easier at Air Force.

Also, good luck to Nova the rest of the way. Make this one look less bad down the line, would ya?

Good luck to Gate the rest of the way. Not surprised Nova won, but didn’t think the margin would be this large.

Hope Colgate puts a streak together to make this win pass the smell test. I think it was a must win, but w/o a 4-4 CAA at a minimum it means little. xpeacex

Leopard Loyalist
August 24th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Did anyone notice that CBS put up the Patriot League pre-season poll....except it was for last year!

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Honest question, who on that schedule, (believing they go 11-0) warrants consideration for a seed?

Davidson
Marist
Catholic University
Columbia
Cornell
Fordham
Lafayette
Lehigh
Colgate
Bucknell
Holy Cross

What a powerhouse schedule that is....xlolx

TheKingpin28
August 24th, 2019, 04:02 PM
What a powerhouse schedule that is....xlolx

But that is what I have come to expect from the elitist schools. Bubble themselves in and refuse to play teams west of the Mississippi that are not on par "academically".

Gangtackle11
August 24th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Nova loving the go routes today. Surprised how much theyre passing...

New OC. New QB. xpeacex

TheKingpin28
August 24th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Only Lehigh and Harvard play west and both are @UCD and @San Diego

UCD has some of the best programs in the west for Professional and STEM programs.

San Diego is ranked, overall, in the Top 100 (or on the bubble) in the US.

DFW HOYA
August 24th, 2019, 04:27 PM

Turn them down?

CHIP72
August 24th, 2019, 04:28 PM

Davidson
Marist
Catholic University
Columbia
Cornell
Fordham
Lafayette
Lehigh
Colgate
Bucknell
Holy Cross

My comment was focused on the absurdity of Georgetown hosting a playoff game at the partially deconstructed Multi-Sport/Cooper Field.

DFW HOYA
August 24th, 2019, 04:30 PM
My comment was focused on the absurdity of Georgetown hosting a playoff game at the partially deconstructed Multi-Sport/Cooper Field.

However sad it sounds, that's still a step up from where they used to play.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?191525-Georgetown-New-Football-Facility-In-2018&p=2462443&viewfull=1#post2462443

Go Green
August 24th, 2019, 04:39 PM
However sad it sounds, that's still a step up from where they used to play.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?191525-Georgetown-New-Football-Facility-In-2018&p=2462443&viewfull=1#post2462443

It looked a lot nicer in "The Exorcist."

:)

Seawolf97
August 24th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Congrats to the Wildcats ! The CAA is going to be tough as ever this year .

kdinva
August 24th, 2019, 05:38 PM

+1

BDKJMU
August 24th, 2019, 06:12 PM
I turned the channel seconds after when VU scored the last TD, thinking VU had gone up 41-14. I saw 34-14 final so I guess that last VU TD was nullified by a penalty.
I can't believe JMU beat VU 37-0 last yr, yet lost to Colgate in the playoffs (I was at both games). What a difference a year makes.
Colgate being ranked pre season #13 or whatever shows how much of a joke the pre season polls are.

VU's scheduling didn't do themselves any favors. With no I-A game game & a Div II, will likely have to go 9-3/5-3 CAA to make the playoffs. For the playoffs, 8-4 would = 7-4, which won't cut it with 4 I-AA losses, even with their tougher CAA schedule (Of the 9 CAA teams outside the preseason top 3, VU, Elon & W&M are the only 3 that don't miss any of the top 3 (JMU, Maine, TU)).

CHIP72
August 24th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Long Island (formerly LIU-Post) is Division I-AA this season, and is playing in the NEC. (The same is true with Merrimack.)

gofurman
August 24th, 2019, 06:40 PM
FIrst, I want to say it is just ONE game between two random opponents who we won't know a lot about for a few weeks. That said, CONGRATS to Villanova ! I think we know a little more
about Colgate than Villanova. I tihnk we know Colgate is not too good.. Villanova must be decent and maybe they are world beaters.. we just can't say that yet. It's the old 'is Colgate that bad or is Viallnova that good?'

I've seen teams look horrible and get in the playoffs and others look great and fade.... still a great start for Villanova. (I will say the coach / stats type pollsters will probably bump Villanova too much this week as we may find that Colgate struggles all year but Villanova benefits from playing Colgate when they were ranked top 15 - AGS guys who actually saw the game will probably not bump V as much) - not a slap at Colgate - we have all seen this happen. It's a slap at pre-season polls. Vil deserves to be bumped up some, I just don't think they just beat a top 20 team that's all. The two takeaways I have are I don't think Colgate is top 25 and -

Either way CONGRATS TO Vil !

BDKJMU
August 24th, 2019, 06:49 PM
Long Island (formerly LIU-Post) is Division I-AA this season, and is playing in the NEC. (The same is true with Merrimack.)

Damn. I thought they were Div II.

gofurman
August 24th, 2019, 06:57 PM

trends are trends for a reason.. aren't they? LOL. just a heckle. couldn't resist. In fairness I think this year's COlgate team is NOT last year's Colgate team

good job to Villanova today.

Gangtackle11
August 24th, 2019, 06:59 PM
I just finished up dinner at the Colgate Inn with the Mrs. I must say Colgate fans couldn’t have been more gracious in defeat. Classy. Good luck the rest of the way. xpeacex

aceinthehole
August 24th, 2019, 07:28 PM

For the record:

LIU is a full NEC member this season and they are playoff eligible.

Merrimack is reclassifying and is not eligible for the FCS playoffs until 2023.

CHIP72
August 24th, 2019, 07:46 PM
For the record:

LIU is a full NEC member this season and they are playoff eligible.

Merrimack is reclassifying and is not eligible for the FCS playoffs until 2023.

Right - I think Long Island is eligible because some of the program’s teams (specifically those playing at LIU-Brooklyn) were already at the Division I level.

gofurman
August 24th, 2019, 08:22 PM
I just finished up dinner at the Colgate Inn with the Mrs. I must say Colgate fans couldn’t have been more gracious in defeat. Classy. Good luck the rest of the way. xpeacex

now THAT is something I resemble.. i mean respect. I really do respect that ! good job Colgate fans

nickp
August 24th, 2019, 09:12 PM
Is the Patriot League more open than we thought it would be?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 09:18 PM
Colgate definitely needs to step up their game if they're going to have any sort of success in the OOC. I was really surprised by how bad they were beat in the trenches. Their OL had no answer for the 'Nova front. Air Force at 7k will be quite the challenge! Don't want to be a paycheck pinata. At least they get a bye week before heading to Williamsburg to face the Tribe. The great thing about Colgate's schedule is it will leave no doubt how they measure up. Hunt needs to bring his staff "A" game. Raiders have been a bit up and down in his tenure. 2016 was a pretty big disappointment...

Seven Oaks was in great shape! Truly one of the great collegiate courses in the country. Pulled out my lightweight walking bag and hoofed the back 9...

Tried to upload a few pics but the the "pic insert" feature won't work....

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 09:26 PM
Is the Patriot League more open than we thought it would be?

I think most PL people knew it would be far more open. Colgate was darn good last year while everyone else was terrible (6 other teams sub .500). The Raiders were destined to take a step back. I figured fringe Top 25 to start the year was worthy. They'll struggle to finish over .500 if they don't right the ship in a hurry.

I really think Georgetown has a shot. They get Colgate in DC. The Hoyas have the type of schedule to build momentum like 'Gate did last year. I think Holy Cross is destined for a world of hurt before league play starts.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 09:47 PM
Can't get the pics to work by uploading them from my computer. Went the old copy and paste route. BTW, this is 2 Colgate games since my last Lehigh game....

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69512462_2704213662944381_5218431366818955264_n.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQkzPrH1lIXmbwDNyWE7sdZZFQKPhIWs5yqypd_Ttik cQaDx31P7ZhvbYk3YCP4IgEdji5Mv1a1dNhfyVzjYcbzO&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=84a0ae3540c7aed0a656e5790f7b1be9&oe=5E0E9B49
https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/68959163_2704213722944375_1652492227663888384_n.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQkKZCpQuat759lOqBZe9554jM6_LagXwqBtSEEtdl9 Q0cmDy3vtGSXWe_827ZoLXUrUjZT90nmS6zqRz92-FnoJ&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=2616fef9ab5dd9dcec1d955d60f43fae&oe=5E06E56E
https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69252285_2704213776277703_7705401607990542336_n.jp g?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQlk5OgivUYen1pW-nAe5ipxzQZ1PxHgZ6StIG7Jl2-aiI6ZUNpT6gL125MSSt03u8E2l-ccFTH6JC63nUN2T8B2&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=b574e57bae32c39127969e5b03addb91&oe=5E0C3C43
https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69071214_2704213819611032_249822029811810304_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQnLToIvoymXXtoGUcGx823fpuP_rwSQHZ-RtKuYNJGhbN_22oCG0DIk71cHW0Y17BHRR5jwhnTcuXFeVdZec Is4&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=b105cebb8983be546328c564d71e0a10&oe=5E0C198B
https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69277863_2704213852944362_8299903872931987456_n.jp g?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQl7a3UC23-YilST4v-tzXmcc_DxGa6W6tGGsPfqO9wRkavn30WL5-LWXUshJf1CTLh2yy-cLXS680vN2w1tqaHv&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=3636a5c8466a3f9703ebd6691e9ac7c7&oe=5DD81447
https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69285153_2704213892944358_5462542202523615232_n.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQlsxH4fr-WoSTYMwDF92YbGeaBsXvBFq5NYH5Rlk0yoUe8Xeh57Q2JHyf45 LsG_MlwJK1w1B6GnMmTjtnY_FWic&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=eb9b50efa111d513ce30fdc657206ac0&oe=5DD51EFE

Gangtackle11
August 24th, 2019, 10:09 PM
That Plenty of nova fans comment is just piling on....really?

We actually had 250+ fans there. That’s a lot for Nova.xpeacex

- - - Updated - - -

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2019, 10:15 PM
We actually had 250+ fans there. That’s a lot for Nova.xpeacex

- - - Updated - - -

Really solid turnout by the 'Nova faithful! I'm not sure that many showed up to Goodman in 2017 when both they and Lehigh were ranked in the Top 20. If nothing else, the weather was better today! Awesome, awesome day!!

I think my favorite part of the game was 'Nova's kicking adventures showing up in epic fashion. Not only did 'Nova miss an XP their kicker shanked one so bad on the sideline it missed the net and ended up on the field while Colgate was about to run a play. It should have been a delay of game penalty on 'Nova.

I've been to 100s of football games and never recall that happening.

tigonian02
August 24th, 2019, 10:33 PM
That a nice trademark infraction that Colgate is sporting. Hope the Georgia Regents doesn’t notice it.

BDKJMU
August 25th, 2019, 01:31 AM
One odd thing I noticed. What was the Colgate coach doing wearing a jacket in the August? Seemed most everyone else out there was in short sleeves..

Gangtackle11
August 25th, 2019, 06:21 AM
Really solid turnout by the 'Nova faithful! I'm not sure that many showed up to Goodman in 2017 when both they and Lehigh were ranked in the Top 20. If nothing else, the weather was better today! Awesome, awesome day!!

I think my favorite part of the game was 'Nova's kicking adventures showing up in epic fashion. Not only did 'Nova miss an XP their kicker shanked one so bad on the sideline it missed the net and ended up on the field while Colgate was about to run a play. It should have been a delay of game penalty on 'Nova.

I've been to 100s of football games and never recall that happening.

That was the punter (who is very solid), but a missed XP foreshadows that the kicking game will continue to be a box of chocolates this season. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 25th, 2019, 06:22 AM
One odd thing I noticed. What was the Colgate coach doing wearing a jacket in the August? Seemed most everyone else out there was in short sleeves..

It was in the upper 60s, low 70s yesterday in Hamilton. Jacket not too crazy despite it being late August...

POD Knows
August 25th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Can't get the pics to work by uploading them from my computer. Went the old copy and paste route. BTW, this is 2 Colgate games since my last Lehigh game....

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69512462_2704213662944381_5218431366818955264_n.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQkzPrH1lIXmbwDNyWE7sdZZFQKPhIWs5yqypd_Ttik cQaDx31P7ZhvbYk3YCP4IgEdji5Mv1a1dNhfyVzjYcbzO&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=84a0ae3540c7aed0a656e5790f7b1be9&oe=5E0E9B49
https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/68959163_2704213722944375_1652492227663888384_n.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQkKZCpQuat759lOqBZe9554jM6_LagXwqBtSEEtdl9 Q0cmDy3vtGSXWe_827ZoLXUrUjZT90nmS6zqRz92-FnoJ&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=2616fef9ab5dd9dcec1d955d60f43fae&oe=5E06E56E
https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69252285_2704213776277703_7705401607990542336_n.jp g?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQlk5OgivUYen1pW-nAe5ipxzQZ1PxHgZ6StIG7Jl2-aiI6ZUNpT6gL125MSSt03u8E2l-ccFTH6JC63nUN2T8B2&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=b574e57bae32c39127969e5b03addb91&oe=5E0C3C43
https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69071214_2704213819611032_249822029811810304_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQnLToIvoymXXtoGUcGx823fpuP_rwSQHZ-RtKuYNJGhbN_22oCG0DIk71cHW0Y17BHRR5jwhnTcuXFeVdZec Is4&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=b105cebb8983be546328c564d71e0a10&oe=5E0C198B
https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69277863_2704213852944362_8299903872931987456_n.jp g?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQl7a3UC23-YilST4v-tzXmcc_DxGa6W6tGGsPfqO9wRkavn30WL5-LWXUshJf1CTLh2yy-cLXS680vN2w1tqaHv&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=3636a5c8466a3f9703ebd6691e9ac7c7&oe=5DD81447
https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69285153_2704213892944358_5462542202523615232_n.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQlsxH4fr-WoSTYMwDF92YbGeaBsXvBFq5NYH5Rlk0yoUe8Xeh57Q2JHyf45 LsG_MlwJK1w1B6GnMmTjtnY_FWic&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=eb9b50efa111d513ce30fdc657206ac0&oe=5DD51EFEHe has about 195 left, about an 8 iron, tears in his eyes I guess.

Gate83
August 25th, 2019, 10:06 AM
He has about 195 left, about an 8 iron, tears in his eyes I guess.

16th hole, drive is in perfect position. Nicely done!

Fordham
August 25th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Gate was roaring back in that 2nd half and had all the momentum at 27-14. Gate D gets it to 3rd and 4 (I think) and #39 is drawn offsides. Boom - first down killer. What happens next play? Same thing - #39 drawn off. Horrible. Well done by Nova to keep grinding but I felt Gate had a chance at that point and it's the exact moment the game went up in smoke.

I'm not sure what to expect from Fordham next Saturday but both teams to me looked good - obviously Nova in particular as they're just on a different level from PL teams imo. Wonder if that means Nova will be in the hunt this year or if it just means the gap between top conference FCS schools and PL ones continues to increase?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 25th, 2019, 10:39 AM
16th hole, drive is in perfect position. Nicely done!

16 was playing back into the breeze. Hit a pretty good drive and still had 185-190 in! Hopefully I can get up there one more time before the end of the year. My birthday is Oct 5th (same day as the Lehigh game) so i might try and pull something off that weekend.

centraljerseycat
August 25th, 2019, 11:16 AM
The kicking adventures are one of the joys of being a Villanova football fan. Going on 20 years at least..kickers come and go, holders come and go, special teams coordinators change and the results are the same....every place kick is an adventure..

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 25th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Gate was roaring back in that 2nd half and had all the momentum at 27-14. Gate D gets it to 3rd and 4 (I think) and #39 is drawn offsides. Boom - first down killer. What happens next play? Same thing - #39 drawn off. Horrible. Well done by Nova to keep grinding but I felt Gate had a chance at that point and it's the exact moment the game went up in smoke.

I'm not sure what to expect from Fordham next Saturday but both teams to me looked good - obviously Nova in particular as they're just on a different level from PL teams imo. Wonder if that means Nova will be in the hunt this year or if it just means the gap between top conference FCS schools and PL ones continues to increase?

Villanova played yesterday like they did against Temple last season. They were on point with everything they tried to accomplish. I was especially impressed with how well their lines played. They did the same thing to a legitimately solid FBS Temple trench crew. Ferrante obviously has this early season thing down. Now he has to figure out conference play.

Gangtackle11
August 25th, 2019, 02:20 PM
Villanova played yesterday like they did against Temple last season. They were on point with everything they tried to accomplish. I was especially impressed with how well their lines played. They did the same thing to a legitimately solid FBS Temple trench crew. Ferrante obviously has this easily season thing down. Now he has to figure out conference play.

Yep. Good win, but not getting excited until I see how Cats do in the CAA. Play @Towson, Maine, @W&M, @JMU to start league play. All this excitement could be washed away by then. xpeacex