PDA

View Full Version : Rumor : Texas Southern looking to move to Southland Conference

Professor
June 11th, 2019, 09:22 AM
It is being reported on Twitter that Texas Southern University is exploring leaving the SWAC for the Southland Conference. Word is the Texas Board of Regents is behind this...... Anyone heard anything

ST_Lawson
June 11th, 2019, 09:34 AM
Twitter post for reference: https://twitter.com/rapsports/status/1137756678110076928

wapiti
June 11th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Do the fans (from this forum) of teams in the Southland want Texas Southern to join?

Does TSU fit geographically? I would guess yes.
Does TSU fit competition wise? I think TSU will struggle to get many conference wins, but they may adjust over time.
Does TSU fit academically? I do not know.

IBleedYellow
June 11th, 2019, 10:26 AM
Worth checking this thread:

https://www.hbcusports.com/forums/threads/stu-looking-to-leave-swac-for-southland.137260/

clenz
June 11th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Does the Southland need a 37th team?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
June 11th, 2019, 11:50 AM

https://www.hbcusports.com/forums/threads/stu-looking-to-leave-swac-for-southland.137260/

They lost me at "The SWAC is more relevant, draw bigger crowds and gets better national coverage."

wapiti
June 11th, 2019, 12:37 PM

Oh my!! The SWAC is full of itself.
They will not want STU to leave. Because when STU gets spanked every year by the entire Southland conference that will reflect on how bad SWAC football is.

Reign of Terrier
June 11th, 2019, 12:49 PM
They lost me at "The SWAC is more relevant, draw bigger crowds and gets better national coverage."

I can see where they're coming from in the sense that many HBCU schools regularly get better attendance than the rest of the FCS (I'm too lazy to distinguish between the attendance numbers of different HBCU conferences) and they get the Celebration Bowl, which has better rating than the FCS championship.

So it makes sense. Not saying I agree with it (and to go all Obi-wan about it, it is true from a certain point of view)

Professor
June 11th, 2019, 01:37 PM
They will not want STU to leave. Because when STU gets spanked every year by the entire Southland conference that will reflect on how bad SWAC football is.

Didn't Sam Houston struggle with PVA&M last year

BEAR
June 11th, 2019, 02:09 PM

Yeah I think that was the early game when they didn't have Brock in and Mike Dare was their main QB. If I recall their fans were SCREAMING for Brock.

GAD
June 11th, 2019, 03:46 PM
The SWAC draws far bigger crowds, in fact four SLC teams had there attendance record set while hosting SWAC teams other than that no one will show for there games except for SFA vs SHSU
btw name any conf in FCS that draws bigger crowds than the SWAC

GAD
June 11th, 2019, 03:51 PM
How would reflect bad on the SWAC they get spanked every year by everyone in the SWAC except maybe UAPB and MVSU they finish at the bottom of the SWAC, they finish at the bottom of the Southland

katss07
June 11th, 2019, 06:30 PM
We did, but that was pre-Brock/Jackson. Mike Dare was running the O. And, like Bear said, Bowers was screaming for Brock. Unfortunately, we didn’t get our wish.

If Ty was in there, Kats would’ve won by three scores.

number1
June 11th, 2019, 06:39 PM
But you know they'll come with all sorts of excuses for that. lol

number1
June 11th, 2019, 06:43 PM
Please explain this. Texas Southern is not a SWAC powerhouse. I can see if you were talking about Grambling, Alcorn, or Southern.

katss07
June 11th, 2019, 07:04 PM
Without a doubt, TSU would draw better against SHSU, Lamar or HBU then they do against Mississippi Valley State. And the SWAC might get 5,000 more people in the stands for your average game, but the quality of SWAC football is...well...****.

katss07
June 11th, 2019, 07:08 PM
I can see where they're coming from in the sense that many HBCU schools regularly get better attendance than the rest of the FCS (I'm too lazy to distinguish between the attendance numbers of different HBCU conferences) and they get the Celebration Bowl, which has better rating than the FCS championship.

So it makes sense. Not saying I agree with it (and to go all Obi-wan about it, it is true from a certain point of view)
I went to a TSU/SHSU game a few years back. Thursday night game, gorgeous time in downtown Houston. 4000 people showed up reported. After their band had played (TSU has a great band) at half, there were not more than 1000 people in BBVA. So saying that SWAC games at TSU get better attendance is silly.

ASU33
June 11th, 2019, 08:28 PM
Without a doubt, TSU would draw better against SHSU, Lamar or HBU then they do against Mississippi Valley State. And the SWAC might get 5,000 more people in the stands for your average game, but the quality of SWAC football is...well...****.

TSU probably has the worst or 2nd worst fan base in the conference so I wouldn't equate Texas Southern attendance to typical SWAC attendance by ANY stretch. And as far as quality of play in the SWAC, no doubt that it has been bad but it has definitely improved. Didn't your squad get pushed by a PV squad 2 years in a row that never finished higher than 4th in the SWAC?xconfusedx

ASU33
June 11th, 2019, 08:33 PM

So a bottom feeder leaves and becomes a bottom feeder some place else and that reflects on how bad the conference is? Did you think prior to typing that?xeyebrowx

katss07
June 11th, 2019, 08:40 PM
TSU probably has the worst or 2nd worst fan base in the conference so I wouldn't equate Texas Southern attendance to typical SWAC attendance by ANY stretch. And as far as quality of play in the SWAC, no doubt that it has been bad but it has definitely improved. Didn't your squad get pushed by a PV squad 2 years in a row that never finished higher than 4th in the SWAC?xconfusedx
I wouldn’t say that PVAMU pushed my Kats two years ago. The result was never in question. Last years Kats team was no good prior to Week 4. Pine-Bluff would’ve pushed Sammy in Week 1. My point with that post was, in TSU’s case, a move to the SLC would benefit attendance.

Maybe play quality has improved, but unless Alcorn, A&T or FAMU are playing I really don’t bother tuning into many SWAC/MEAC games. They’re boring compared to a Big Sky or CAA game. And thats just from a pure football quality standpoint.

clenz
June 11th, 2019, 08:58 PM
Does the Southland need a 37th team?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TapatalkWho cares about swac attendance or if tsu is even good in the SLC.

Someone answer why the SLC needs a 52nd team

katss07
June 11th, 2019, 09:03 PM
Who cares about swac attendance or if tsu is even good in the SLC.

If its a team like PVAMU, I would be against adding another team. But if TSU is that 60th team, then we don’t need them and I’m not sure why admin would let them join.

uni88
June 11th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Who cares about swac attendance or if tsu is even good in the SLC.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TapatalkIt's all about keeping up with the CAA. Next thing you know they'll be signing a deal with Menstrual TV.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

number1
June 12th, 2019, 01:30 AM

Thank You

Bison56
June 12th, 2019, 07:21 AM
As usual everyone has their rulers out.

Panther88
June 12th, 2019, 09:01 AM
As usual everyone has their rulers out.

Naturally.

PVAMU will beat eventual SLC champion Nicholls St in September. I wonder what excuses will be foolishly explained. #PV-SLCFootballChamps2019

Panther88
June 12th, 2019, 09:07 AM
We did, but that was pre-Brock/Jackson. Mike Dare was running the O. And, like Bear said, Bowers was screaming for Brock. Unfortunately, we didn’t get our wish.

If Ty was in there, Kats would’ve won by three scores.

If, if, if... if my aunt had nutts she'd be my uncle. xsmhx

"If our 18 y/o true-freshman deep-snapper hadn't personally gift-wrapped SHSU 14 points, all of this 'if' talk would be moot and SHSU would be holding an L fall 2019." See how that works? xsmhx

I sat in the west side stands w/ SHSU alums and no one was calling for Brock. What folks were calling for was SHSU's defense to stop our 240+ yds rushing #1. The same #1 that gashed SHSU 2 years prior and WILL continue this fall to gash Nicholls St, in our home. :D

BEAR
June 12th, 2019, 11:29 AM
Texas Southern...Houston Baptist.....eh...makes no difference.....xcoffeex

katss07
June 12th, 2019, 11:58 AM
If, if, if... if my aunt had nutts she'd be my uncle. xsmhx

"If our 18 y/o true-freshman deep-snapper hadn't personally gift-wrapped SHSU 14 points, all of this 'if' talk would be moot and SHSU would be holding an L fall 2019." See how that works? xsmhx

I sat in the west side stands w/ SHSU alums and no one was calling for Brock. What folks were calling for was SHSU's defense to stop our 240+ yds rushing #1. The same #1 that gashed SHSU 2 years prior and WILL continue this fall to gash Nicholls St, in our home. :D
I was sitting on the west side too. There were calls for Brock. If doesn’t matter. We won.

And IF, IF you couldn’t beat a poor coached, sorry 2018 SHSU team? Nicholls will crush PVAMU. If

SpreadTheWord
June 12th, 2019, 12:11 PM
If Texas Southern does end up joining the SLC, you could finally split up the conference into two divisions:

West: Abilene Christian, Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, Texas Southern

East: Central Arkansas, Lamar, McNeese, Nicholls, Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana

So it makes sense if the conference wants to do something like that. From a scheduling perspective, you would play every team in your division and then rotate 4 out of the 6 teams in the other division every two years or however they'd want to do it for a total of 9 conference games.

Outsider1
June 12th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Using another team to create a two division conference would be the only thing that makes sense. If it ever happened, I would just prefer a more competitive and higher profile program like PVAM; not necessarily a knock on TSU. Everything has its trade -offs.... I think this is more rumor and schools exploring. The HBCU thread was interesting.

BEAR
June 12th, 2019, 01:11 PM
I think we need to reduce this conference. Honestly UCA is the outlier geographically. A move to another conference would make sense. xlolx

lionsrking2
June 12th, 2019, 02:07 PM
I think we need to reduce this conference. Honestly UCA is the outlier geographically. A move to another conference would make sense. xlolx

Now that you bring it up ... this is long range dreaming but what about the formation of a new league? I like the Southland -- it's been good to us -- but getting a bit Texas heavy. The following configuration is a little more spread out, but represents six states as opposed to three and has a more broad regional appeal. And the travel wouldn't be that bad compared to what most of these schools face now and I think the major sports would be competitive across the league.

UCA
Southeastern Louisiana
Nicholls
North Alabama
Jacksonville State
UT-Martin
Samford
Austin Peay
Kennesaw State
West Florida (assuming they would want to move up eventually)

dbackjon
June 12th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Now that you bring it up ... this is long range dreaming but what about the formation of a new league? I like the Southland -- it's been good to us -- but getting a bit Texas heavy. The following configuration is a little more spread out, but represents six states as opposed to three and has a more broad regional appeal. And the travel wouldn't be that bad compared to what most of these schools face now and I think the major sports would be competitive across the league.

UCA
Southeastern Louisiana
Nicholls
North Alabama
Jacksonville State
UT-Martin
Samford
Austin Peay
Kennesaw State

The problem with that is that is not going to increase revenue for any school, but would increase travel costs for a number of them.

BEAR
June 12th, 2019, 04:06 PM

UCA
Southeastern Louisiana
Nicholls
North Alabama
Jacksonville State
UT-Martin
Samford
Austin Peay
Kennesaw State

I would suggest adding a few more Arkansas teams.

Arkansas Tech
Henderson State
UCA
Nicholls
NWST
McNeese
SLU
2 Mississippi schools
Maybe 2 Oklahoma or Missouri schools

Panther88
June 12th, 2019, 04:26 PM
I was sitting on the west side too. There were calls for Brock. If doesn’t matter. We won.

And IF, IF you couldn’t beat a poor coached, sorry 2018 SHSU team? Nicholls will crush PVAMU. If

*right click and saving this tomfoolery*

Make sure you don't get abducted by UFOs after we demolish Nicholls, who will then demolish you guys.

We'll return you guys to the schedule to undo the wrong by allowing you to escape w/ victories due to our own remedial negligence. SHSU never won the last 2; we forgot we were supposed to win. xlolx

Serpentor
June 12th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Don't we already have school in the Southland Conference (UNO) that keeps teasing us with plans to field a football team but chickening out?

Serpentor
June 12th, 2019, 08:38 PM
The SWAC draws far bigger crowds, in fact four SLC teams had there attendance record set while hosting SWAC teams other than that no one will show for there games except for SFA vs SHSU
btw name any conf in FCS that draws bigger crowds than the SWAC

Have you seen a TSU game? They're lucky if they get 2,000 folks to show up.

number1
June 12th, 2019, 09:14 PM

Make sure you don't get abducted by UFOs after we demolish Nicholls, who will then demolish you guys.

We'll return you guys to the schedule to undo the wrong by allowing you to escape w/ victories due to our own remedial negligence. SHSU never won the last 2; we forgot we were supposed to win. xlolx
Make sure y'all give Nicholls tents to use as a locker room like they did PV when you played them in Thibodaux.

katss07
June 13th, 2019, 12:54 AM

No, I think Sammy won. I never disappear. Im always here. And when PVAMU beats Nicholls I’ll admit I’m wrong. But that won’t happen.

Panther88
June 13th, 2019, 08:42 AM
No, I think Sammy won. I never disappear. Im always here. And when PVAMU beats Nicholls I’ll admit I’m wrong. But that won’t happen.

*additional right click and save!*

Keep that "I wish."

Panther88
June 13th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Make sure y'all give Nicholls tents to use as a locker room like they did PV when you played them in Thibodaux.

Right. lol We're going to show some of their student-athletes what a higher caliber division-I athletic facility and campus looks like so we're expecting 1-3 to transfer to PVAMU shortly (the La connection).

GAD
June 13th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Have you seen a TSU game? They're lucky if they get 2,000 folks to show up.
Yes, but like ASU33 said they have the worst fan base in the conf. Schools like Jackson state, Southern and Alcorn will see crowds of 30K+

Lehigh Football Nation
June 14th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Texas Southern could beat Houston Baptist and SFA for sure, so why not? At some point Sam Houston will have to become an irrelevant Sun Belt member in order for there to be room, though.

katss07
June 14th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Texas Southern could beat Houston Baptist and SFA for sure, so why not? At some point Sam Houston will have to become an irrelevant Sun Belt member in order for there to be room, though.
We don’t have the funds, fans, athletic facilities, money, or student support to ever go FBS. We get maybe 9k on a good day. Oh, and there is absolutely no push from anyone to move up. Our basketball program is also about as sorry as it gets.

I’m happy where the Bearkats are at, and it seems like thats how just about everyone feels. We couldn’t move up if we wanted to.

If you want to look for the next irrelevant Sun Belt member, please direct your attention east to Jacksonville Alabama.

Mike296
June 14th, 2019, 05:18 PM
We don’t have the funds, fans, athletic facilities, money, or student support to ever go FBS. We get maybe 9k on a good day. Oh, and there is absolutely no push from anyone to move up. Our basketball program is also about as sorry as it gets.

I’m happy where the Bearkats are at, and it seems like thats how just about everyone feels. We couldn’t move up if we wanted to.

If you want to look for the next irrelevant Sun Belt member, please direct your attention east to Jacksonville Alabama.

Actually if we’re going to talk about anybody becoming an irrelevant Sun Belt team I think next up on the chopping block is Kennesaw rather than JSU. I see Kennesaw making the move but I doubt JSU wants to fade into obscurity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd Coast Tiger
June 15th, 2019, 12:36 AM
Nah..... we're good.

ASU33
June 15th, 2019, 03:16 PM

That had a chance at HBU twice and lost both times!

katss07
June 16th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Nah..... we're good.
Yeah, I’d be scared of SFA too.

walliver
June 17th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Actually if we’re going to talk about anybody becoming an irrelevant Sun Belt team I think next up on the chopping block is Kennesaw rather than JSU. I see Kennesaw making the move but I doubt JSU wants to fade into obscurity.

Kennesaw is probably not getting into the Sun Belt as long as Georgia State is in the conference. There is a lot of competition for the coveted spot of 7th most popular team in Atlanta.

Nor Eastern
June 17th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Unless the CFP payout expands beyond $10 million per conference then I don't see the Sun Belt expanding. They're at the peak teams/$ compared to the MAC and CUSA. They have no reason to expand now that they can have their conference championship game, $10 million CFP payout, and remain at 10 teams.

CUSA is a chaser of markets. KSU might be up their alley. They can get that ATL-Charlotte rivalry going.

Catatonic
June 18th, 2019, 06:43 AM
Kennesaw is probably not getting into the Sun Belt as long as Georgia State is in the conference. There is a lot of competition for the coveted spot of 7th most popular team in Atlanta.

xnodx

ST_Lawson
June 18th, 2019, 08:35 AM
Unless the CFP payout expands beyond $10 million per conference then I don't see the Sun Belt expanding. They're at the peak teams/$ compared to the MAC and CUSA. They have no reason to expand now that they can have their conference championship game, $10 million CFP payout, and remain at 10 teams.

CUSA is a chaser of markets. KSU might be up their alley. They can get that ATL-Charlotte rivalry going.

True, the Sun Belt kicked out Idaho and NM State precisely because they got permission from the NCAA to have a championship game at only 10 teams. Adding more only splits the pot, and they've already got the Atlanta market as locked down as they're likely to ever get. Adding another ATL area team won't really get them much.
CUSA surrounds Georgia and South Carolina, but has no presence in either, so it'd make sense to go for the largest market in the region.

ASU33
June 18th, 2019, 09:06 AM
True, the Sun Belt kicked out Idaho and NM State precisely because they got permission from the NCAA to have a championship game at only 10 teams. Adding more only splits the pot, and they've already got the Atlanta market as locked down as they're likely to ever get. Adding another ATL area team won't really get them much.
CUSA surrounds Georgia and South Carolina, but has no presence in either, so it'd make sense to go for the largest market in the region.

Nobody here in Atlanta pays any attention to the Sun Belt or Georgia State for that matter.

dgtw
June 18th, 2019, 01:56 PM
If C-USA takes State, then the Sun Belt will take Kennesaw.

uni88
June 18th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Nobody here in Atlanta pays any attention to the Sun Belt or Georgia State for that matter.If I understand, CUSA followed the P5 model and targeted teams based on market size (not share). They then found out that people in those big markets didn't really give a ***** about the teams they picked up and ended up with a geographically diverse conference with limited natural rivalries. The Belt either by design or the dumb luck ended up with the better combination of teams from a rivalry/interest perspective.

Nor Eastern
June 18th, 2019, 03:22 PM
If C-USA takes State, then the Sun Belt will take Kennesaw.

If the Sun Belt lost a team they'd would call USM or Marshall first. Then Missouri State.

If I understand, CUSA followed the P5 model and targeted teams based on market size (not share). They then found out that people in those big markets didn't really give a ***** about the teams they picked up and ended up with a geographically diverse conference with limited natural rivalries. The Belt either by design or the dumb luck ended up with the better combination of teams from a rivalry/interest perspective.

CUSA really screwed the pooch. A G5 conference that spans from West Virginia to the furthest point in West Texas isn't sustainable. The CUSA-West teams are ready to focus more on Louisiana and Texas and the CUSA-East wants nothing to do with everyone west of USM.

What makes it worse for the CUSA fans, they've been left behind by the MAC and Sun Belt as far as media attention and on field performance.

Reign of Terrier
June 19th, 2019, 02:01 PM
If I understand, CUSA followed the P5 model and targeted teams based on market size (not share). They then found out that people in those big markets didn't really give a ***** about the teams they picked up and ended up with a geographically diverse conference with limited natural rivalries. The Belt either by design or the dumb luck ended up with the better combination of teams from a rivalry/interest perspective.

I think it was intentional, with the additions of App/GSU and the potential rivalry that was budding between Southern and State (10 years ago Southern fans would laugh at the implication, but now their twitter is littered with #SouthernNotState)

walliver
June 19th, 2019, 02:03 PM
If the Sun Belt lost a team they'd would call USM or Marshall first. Then Missouri State.

CUSA really screwed the pooch. A G5 conference that spans from West Virginia to the furthest point in West Texas isn't sustainable. The CUSA-West teams are ready to focus more on Louisiana and Texas and the CUSA-East wants nothing to do with everyone west of USM.

What makes it worse for the CUSA fans, they've been left behind by the MAC and Sun Belt as far as media attention and on field performance.

The Sun Belt stretches from the Atlantic Coast to East Texas, so it's almost as bad.
Long term is would make sense for the Atlantic Coast teams from CUSA and the SunBelt (and maybe JMU) to form an East Coast Conference and the more western schools create another conference.

Nor Eastern
June 19th, 2019, 02:31 PM
The Sun Belt stretches from the Atlantic Coast to East Texas, so it's almost as bad.
Long term is would make sense for the Atlantic Coast teams from CUSA and the SunBelt (and maybe JMU) to form an East Coast Conference and the more western schools create another conference.

Well there's only two trips to Texas for any school in SBC. CUSA has four texas schools. UTEP might as well be New Mexico.

DFW HOYA
June 19th, 2019, 06:15 PM

Presenting...the Rust Belt Conference (football only):

Connecticut
Charlotte
Delaware
James Madison
Liberty
Marshall
Massachusetts
Old Dominion
Temple

Mike296
June 19th, 2019, 07:12 PM

Connecticut
Charlotte
Delaware
James Madison
Liberty
Marshall
Massachusetts
Old Dominion
Temple

I highly doubt Delaware would move up in its current state. 10+ years ago I could have seen it but now not so much.

katss07
June 19th, 2019, 11:11 PM
Honestly aside from JMU, there aren’t teams that you look at and jump out as likely to transfer to FBS.

Georgia Southern, App St, Georgia St, Coastal, Liberty always seemed like they would move up eventually. I don’t see that in any school nowadays (besides maybe JMU and long term Kennesaw).

IMHO, there won’t be much movement up within the next 15 years.

ST_Lawson
June 20th, 2019, 08:11 AM

Connecticut
Charlotte
Delaware
James Madison
Liberty
Marshall
Massachusetts
Old Dominion
Temple

Most of those are a bit too far east to be in the "Rust Belt", I'd say.
Rust Belt - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt
"The Rust Belt begins in central New York (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_(state)) and traverses west through Pennsylvania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania), West Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia), Ohio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio), Indiana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana), and the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan), ending in northern Illinois (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois), eastern Iowa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa), and southeastern Wisconsin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin)."
So...essentially...the MAC.

Nor Eastern
June 20th, 2019, 08:24 AM
Honestly aside from JMU, there aren’t teams that you look at and jump out as likely to transfer to FBS.

Georgia Southern, App St, Georgia St, Coastal, Liberty always seemed like they would move up eventually. I don’t see that in any school nowadays (besides maybe JMU and long term Kennesaw).

IMHO, there won’t be much movement up within the next 15 years.

There's like 4 options in the east and two of them want to, the other two...? EKU and Jax State would jump tomorrow if given the chance. Missouri State might. JMU's interest in the last decade has declined significantly now that their preferred conference (CUSA) looks like hot garbage.

clenz
June 20th, 2019, 10:17 AM
"The Rust Belt begins in central New York (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_(state)) and traverses west through Pennsylvania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania), West Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia), Ohio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio), Indiana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana), and the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan), ending in northern Illinois (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois), eastern Iowa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa), and southeastern Wisconsin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin)."
So...essentially...the MAC.Says a team in the MISSOURI VALLEY Football Conference... In Illinois. Along with 10 other schools not in the Missouri River Valley.

ST_Lawson
June 20th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Says a team in the MISSOURI VALLEY Football Conference... In Illinois. Along with 10 other schools not in the Missouri River Valley.

I never said ours made sense either. Just like the Summit League (where only one team is actually close enough to mountains to even see a "summit"). I was just saying that if I was naming a new conference made up of nearly all east-coast teams, I'm not sure I'd go with "Rust Belt".

Catatonic
June 21st, 2019, 05:52 AM
"The Rust Belt begins in central New York (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_(state)) and traverses west through Pennsylvania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania), West Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia), Ohio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio), Indiana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana), and the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan), ending in northern Illinois (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois), eastuern Iowa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa), and southeastern Wisconsin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin)."
So...essentially...the MAC.

If the Big 12 can have 10 members and the Big 10 fourteen or the Southeastern Conference can include teams from Texas and Missouri, the Rust Belt can define itself any way it chooses. xlolx

number1
June 25th, 2019, 12:44 AM
If the Big 12 can have 10 members and the Big 10 fourteen or the Southeastern Conference can include teams from Texas and Missouri, the Rust Belt can define itself any way it chooses. xlolx
And put Missouri in the East Division. lol

JMUNJ08
June 26th, 2019, 02:21 PM
There's like 4 options in the east and two of them want to, the other two...? EKU and Jax State would jump tomorrow if given the chance. Missouri State might. JMU's interest in the last decade has declined significantly now that their preferred conference (CUSA) looks like hot garbage.

Being WAY too kind to CUSA. There is still some intrigue but its not a good economical model at all. Its too big and spread out to really be a good fit besides saying ODU/ Marshall would be good local rivals... Honestly would take SunBelt over them at this time (which we already said no to and nothing has changed with their membership/ pecking order for that to be different today).

Nor Eastern
June 26th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Being WAY too kind to CUSA. There is still some intrigue but its not a good economical model at all. Its too big and spread out to really be a good fit besides saying ODU/ Marshall would be good local rivals... Honestly would take SunBelt over them at this time (which we already said no to and nothing has changed with their membership/ pecking order for that to be different today).

Even in CUSA's current state of "yuck" it still probably would be the best for JMU. Marshall, ODU, UNCC, WKU all within driving distance. Sun Belt doesn't have markets but they have schools that have a passionate fan base. Which JMU would fit right in with.