PDA

View Full Version : So about Montana St. starting QB....

Schism55
June 7th, 2019, 10:18 AM
https://twitter.com/gregrachac/status/1136994472137564161

Catbooster
June 7th, 2019, 10:47 AM
That's not our starting QB. He isn't even on the team. ;)

I've been wondering when we'd get a definite report.

Professor Chaos
June 7th, 2019, 11:41 AM
That's not our starting QB. He isn't even on the team. ;)

I've been wondering when we'd get a definite report.
I know their plan was to move Troy Anderson back to LB. Does this throw a monkey wrench into that?

Herder
June 7th, 2019, 12:00 PM
Who needs a QB. Just line up 3 LBs in the backfield and run the damn ball. The 3 can alternative at QB, FB and RB on each play.

Catbooster
June 7th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Double post

Catbooster
June 7th, 2019, 12:05 PM
I know their plan was to move Troy Anderson back to LB. Does this throw a monkey wrench into that?
I don't think so. I think they have been approaching it assuming he won't be back, but if he's eligible it would be a bonus. It hasn't sounded like Choate was counting on him since last year. Murray only practiced with the team on Saturdays during spring ball - assuming so he could concentrate on classes - so only a couple practices. The coaches have talked about Rovig and Baumann, mainly. I'm not sure they have said anything about Murray other than when reporters ask, and then it's been that he needs to worry about classes and if he's on the team next fall he will compete for a position.

Rovig had his first college start as a redshirt freshman against SDSU last fall when Troy Andersen was injured - I think it may have been his first collegiate snap. He did not look good, but rebounded and had a very good game against Wagner the following week (obviously a huge difference in the quality of those opponents). Then Troy was healthy and started. A few games later the coaches felt Rovig was ready so he was going to start, but Rovig got injured in practice and that was the end of his season. It appears to me that Rovig has the inside track.

catbob
June 7th, 2019, 12:19 PM
The staff knew about Murray's academic issues early last spring, and practiced accordingly - gave Rovig every chance to win in and when he didn't impress that's when Choate simply asked Troy Andersen to throw some balls around for the summer to provide some depth.

Point is the staff has been prepared for this since last spring, and I think they were very leery of putting much hope into Murray returning this year. I believe he was going to have to pay his own way even if he did make the grades. They were looking at his return as a bonus if it happened, one that didn't take up a scholarship spot if it did.

I'm told the Cats will continue to look for a ready day 1 transfer QB, but if not there is going to be a battle between Rovig, Casey Bauman, and I wouldn't completely dismiss Ruben Beltran, the underdog of the group.

If ***** hits the fan and the Cats start 0-3 (@Texas Tech, SEMO, @WIU) I would almost bet money that Troy Andersen will be the starting QB for Norfolk to get him back into game shape for conference. It kills me to even think about this scenario.

- - - Updated - - -

The staff knew about Murray's academic issues early last spring, and practiced accordingly - gave Rovig every chance to win in and when he didn't impress that's when Choate simply asked Troy Andersen to throw some balls around for the summer to provide some depth.

Point is the staff has been prepared for this since last spring, and I think they were very leery of putting much hope into Murray returning this year. I believe he was going to have to pay his own way even if he did make the grades. They were looking at his return as a bonus if it happened, one that didn't take up a scholarship spot if it did.

I'm told the Cats will continue to look for a ready day 1 transfer QB, but if not there is going to be a battle between Rovig, Casey Bauman, and I wouldn't completely dismiss Ruben Beltran, the underdog of the group.

If ***** hits the fan and the Cats start 0-3 (@Texas Tech, SEMO, @WIU) I would almost bet money that Troy Andersen will be the starting QB for Norfolk to get him back into game shape for conference. It kills me to even think about this scenario.

Iridebikes
June 7th, 2019, 01:07 PM
https://twitter.com/gregrachac/status/1136994472137564161

That's too bad for MSU but from what I saw for a couple of years Murray was a liability as much as an asset. I would hope that you've been able to recruit someone by now as MSU has a really solid base. Your new coach has done a good job in building and you're on the cusp of being really good if you can get a QB.

JALMOND
June 7th, 2019, 03:46 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Beginning to hear rumors here about Danny Velasquez. He supposedly had an offer from the Bobcats before he went to Portland State last year. Velasquez also is no longer listed on the Vikings roster.

bonarae
June 7th, 2019, 11:48 PM
So... generally speaking, where would he (and other similar players) end up? D-II? NAIA? Or hang up cleats? xchinscratchx

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 8th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Geez....did the kid just not go to class or is he just not academically smart?