PDA

View Full Version : Hero Sports preseason Top 25

Schism55
June 4th, 2019, 11:22 AM
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-hero-sports-preseason-top-25-fcs-ajaj

JSUSoutherner
June 4th, 2019, 11:25 AM
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-hero-sports-preseason-top-25-fcs-ajaj

This and the Athalon article both point to the caliber players we have returning but neither of them mention our offensive and defensive lines are doing some serious rebuilding work. Yes our skill positions and secondary are good but our trenches could be really rough and that could derail everything.

Mocs123
June 4th, 2019, 11:34 AM
This puts us playing the #1 team in the country, the #6 team in the country, the #8 team in the country, the number #15 team in the country, and the #25 team in the country, plus a team in the next best, and a team in the "keep an eye on category".

I know the MVFC people won't agree, but I think Chattanooga has the hardest schedule in the country this year.

Professor
June 4th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Bwhahahaha. We aren't even ranked in this one. FAMU is on probation and Alcorn has a terrible schedule. A FBS, FCS and 2 D2 schools. i still believe we will be the top HBCU

Panther88
June 4th, 2019, 12:45 PM
Bwhahahaha. We aren't even ranked in this one. FAMU is on probation and Alcorn has a terrible schedule. A FBS, FCS and 2 D2 schools. i still believe we will be the top HBCU

There's a slight SCRUM w/ the SWAC E to W divisions. Alcorn St will have a horribly hard time repeating.

Grambling has reloaded. SU is loaded. PVAMU quietly loaded. JSU is returning to its former form.

I'm VERY interested in the PV games vs uofh and Nichols.

Catatonic
June 4th, 2019, 12:54 PM
This and the Athalon article both point to the caliber players we have returning but neither of them mention our offensive and defensive lines are doing some serious rebuilding work. Yes our skill positions and secondary are good but our trenches could be really rough and that could derail everything.

Both polls also have Nicholls at the top of the SLC, without mentioning that they, too, are rebuilding in both sides of the line.

JSUSoutherner
June 4th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Both polls also have Nicholls at the top of the SLC, without mentioning that they, too, are rebuilding in both sides of the line.

Do they still have Fourcade?

BEAR
June 4th, 2019, 12:57 PM
I'm impressed UNA is already mentioned! I knew they were beasts in division II and it looks like they are coming on strong in the FCS.

UCA at #16 after rebuilding. More like recovering. Talk about injury laden...xlolx

Catatonic
June 4th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Do they still have Fourcade?

Yup.

WeAreThePride
June 4th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha. No. NDSU is number one, until JMU proves they can beat us more than once.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 4th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Think it would have been better if Maine was picked out of the top 25 then they could have used last year's motto- "nobody respects you". This team has the talent to have another very good year but the new and young coaching staff will have their hands full keeping these kids on the straight and narrow.xnodx

Professor
June 4th, 2019, 01:37 PM
There's a slight SCRUM w/ the SWAC E to W divisions. Alcorn St will have a horribly hard time repeating.

Grambling has reloaded. SU is loaded. PVAMU quietly loaded. JSU is returning to its former form.

I'm VERY interested in the PV games vs uofh and Nichols.

That's what is truly important. The OOC games

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 4th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Bit surprised they didn't have Colgate ranked. Sure, the Raiders lost a lot but they still return 6-7 big time players at key positions. Based on how blah the tailend of the poll tends to be I think somewhere in the 20-25 range is justified.

I feel like UNH and Villanova are being seriously undervalued in the CAA. 'Nova has a ton of talent if their staff can get it together post-Talley.

Reign of Terrier
June 4th, 2019, 01:49 PM
My new heuristic for looking at these rankings is to invest heavily in legacy/recency over conference affiliation.

With that in mind I think Towson and Illinois State are a touch overrated (neither has won a playoff game since, I dunno, 2016?). Central Arkansas, Sam Houston State, and Kennesaw State are probably a touch underrated.

But again, it's all speculation at this point.

Gangtackle11
June 4th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Bit surprised they didn't have Colgate ranked. Sure, the Raiders lost a lot but they still return 6-7 big time players at key positions. Based on how blah the tailend of the poll tends to be I think somewhere in the 20-25 range is justified.

I feel like UNH and Villanova are being seriously undervalued in the CAA. 'Nova has a ton of talent if their staff can get it together post-Talley.

Bigger “if” at the position that takes the snaps. New DC & OC also. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 4th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Think it would have been better if Maine was picked out of the top 25 then they could have used last year's motto- "nobody respects you". This team has the talent to have another very good year but the new and young coaching staff will have their hands full keeping these kids on the straight and narrow.xnodx

Top 5 seems way too optimistic for Maine. I was high on the Black Bears all last year but you guys lost a very good coach. Plus, I think this year's schedule will prove to be tougher. Maine is worthy of a Top 15-20 preseason ranking imo. Just not Top 5.

JMU and NDSU are the only two programs that I'm not worried about the head coaching change. Elon has assembled an all-star staff but still needs a little more program pedigree for me to sign off on them as a legit Top 10 team.

Milktruck74
June 4th, 2019, 02:07 PM
My thoughts:

I guess this is as good as any PRE SEASON poll.

I think NDSU should be 1until someone proves them not to be...but 2 is close enough

My Mocs at 19...Yes, they have the talent to be ranked there, but the schedule is difficult and I doubt they can finish there, simply due to the number of losses they will have....lots of good teams on their roster (FBS, and 7 in the article).

Mike296
June 4th, 2019, 02:11 PM
I’m hard pressed to see Not 1 but 2 Ivy League teams in the Top 25. Cmon man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
June 4th, 2019, 02:14 PM

Honestly, I think until they quit acting like pompous d-holes they shouldn't be ranked. They obviously don't want to be affiliated with us, so let's respect their wishes and just let them be completely irrelevant.

dgtw
June 4th, 2019, 02:30 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha. No. NDSU is number one, until JMU proves they can beat us more than once.

I think people pick someone other than the Bison just to be edgy.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Honestly, I think until they quit acting like pompous d-holes they shouldn't be ranked. They obviously don't want to be affiliated with us, so let's respect their wishes and just let them be completely irrelevant.

An FCS affiliation is what is needed to qualify for an FCS ranking. They meet that requirement.

Bisonoline
June 4th, 2019, 02:34 PM

The Ivy shouldnt want to be ranked because they dont care about rankings for their football teams. They have proven this by their words and actions of not wanting to participate in the playoffs.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2019, 02:50 PM
The Ivy shouldnt want to be ranked because they dont care about rankings for their football teams. They have proven this by their words and actions of not wanting to participate in the playoffs.

You don't have to be in the playoffs to be one of the T25 teams in the country and having hurt feelings over them not participating shouldn't keep them out either.

I'd way rather they were in it but I don't get the bad feelings over this stuff too much.

Schism55
June 4th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Top 5 seems way too optimistic for Maine. I was high on the Black Bears all last year but you guys lost a very good coach. Plus, I think this year's schedule will prove to be tougher. Maine is worthy of a Top 15-20 preseason ranking imo. Just not Top 5.

JMU and NDSU are the only two programs that I'm not worried about the head coaching change. Elon has assembled an all-star staff but still needs a little more program pedigree for me to sign off on them as a legit Top 10 team.

Ummm, with the CAA's farcical scheduling bullshyte, Maine misses JMU, Delaware AND Stony Brook.

JSUSoutherner
June 4th, 2019, 03:10 PM
An FCS affiliation is what is needed to qualify for an FCS ranking. They meet that requirement.

And I think it's total BS.

But I don't make the rules.
But I will have opinions about them.

Bisonoline
June 4th, 2019, 03:22 PM
You don't have to be in the playoffs to be one of the T25 teams in the country and having hurt feelings over them not participating shouldn't keep them out either.

I'd way rather they were in it but I don't get the bad feelings over this stuff too much.

I dont have any hurt feeling over it. If the Ivies dont want to participate we should honor their wishes to be irrelevant.xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
June 4th, 2019, 03:22 PM
I'm one of like 3 people who don't have a strong opinion about the Ivy's

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2019, 03:23 PM

Yes, I mentioned that, they are known as hurt feelings. Playoffs are fun, they are a party. If someone doesn't want to come to the party why the **** would anyone get worked up over that?

BTW, from what I've seen most of their fans seem to want to be involved but they also have to take a lot of crap over the manufactured hard feelings on the matter. Opinions can change. I hope sharing them back and forth can bring it around to a bit better place than the constant us vs. them thing.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2019, 03:31 PM
I dont have any hurt feeling over it. If the Ivies dont want to participate we should honor their wishes to be irrelevant.xthumbsupx

And as far as playoffs they are completely irrelevant so they get their wish. But a completely separate thing is the T25 which at it's core is to try and rank the 25 best teams in the FCS landscape. So being part of the playoffs shouldn't have anything to do with that from anything I can see. Hurt feelings might be generalizing a bit but the constant strong opinion against if a team should be ranked as one of the top teams because of their Presidents/Conference decision to stay out seems to have some roots in the hurt feelings arena.

katss07
June 4th, 2019, 03:44 PM
I'm one of like 3 people who don't have a strong opinion about the Ivy's
I think I’m in this club too. It is what it is. They can do what they want.

SCPALADIN
June 4th, 2019, 04:15 PM

I just NEVER include Ivies in my AGS Poll ballot.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2019, 04:45 PM

Some people believe in punishing teams/coaches/players playing for an FCS team due to their school or conference decisions but I just don't have it in me to do that if I believe the team to actually be a T25 team. I try to be as fair as possible about it.

RootinFerDukes
June 4th, 2019, 04:49 PM
I haven’t read a single post in this thread and I already know it’s filled with Bison butthurt.

RootinFerDukes
June 4th, 2019, 04:55 PM

You’d have to omit the MEAC and SWAC too then.

HootyHoo
June 4th, 2019, 04:58 PM
KSU at 22? That's fine, everybody can convince themselves we're not that good. But come December, the Owls will be back in the Quarterfinals for the third straight season.

McNeese72
June 4th, 2019, 05:01 PM
Good!! A rankings that we are ranked in. Makes better sense than than the Athlon rankings. :)

Doc

Professor Chaos
June 4th, 2019, 05:25 PM
KSU at 22? That's fine, everybody can convince themselves we're not that good. But come December, the Owls will be back in the Quarterfinals for the third straight season.
Just the quarterfinals??? I thought you predicted last January that Kennesaw St would soon supplant NDSU as the next great FCS dynasty?

JSUSoutherner
June 4th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Just the quarterfinals??? I thought you predicted last January that Kennesaw St would soon supplant NDSU as the next great FCS dynasty?

Then they realized the QB behind Burks sucks.

JSUSoutherner
June 4th, 2019, 06:39 PM
Yes, I mentioned that, they are known as hurt feelings. Playoffs are fun, they are a party. If someone doesn't want to come to the party why the **** would anyone get worked up over that?

BTW, from what I've seen most of their fans seem to want to be involved but they also have to take a lot of crap over the manufactured hard feelings on the matter. Opinions can change. I hope sharing them back and forth can bring it around to a bit better place than the constant us vs. them thing.xthumbsupx

It's not just the absence of the playoffs it's that they play exactly no one outside of their little circle of nobody teams. Every once in a blue moon they'll play a CAA team or two but there's never any real data to see how they actually compare to the rest of the teams. Ranking an Ivy is essentially a shot in the dark and I think a ranking with no real data to support it is a total waste.

Princeton could have been top 5, or got round house kicked by Incarnate Word. But since their only non-ivy game of worth was Monmouth (who sucked) we had no data.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 4th, 2019, 06:47 PM
It's not just the absence of the playoffs it's that they play exactly no one outside of their little circle of nobody teams. Every once in a blue moon they'll play a CAA team or two but there's never any real data to see how they actually compare to the rest of the teams. Ranking an Ivy is essentially a shot in the dark and I think a ranking with no real data to support it is a total waste.

Princeton could have been top 5, or got round house kicked by Incarnate Word. But since their only non-ivy game of worth was Monmouth (who sucked) we had no data.

Legit point but we do have some teams that step out and play and even if we do have a data point sometimes (JSU 1st game last year) it could be only part of the story as to what they really are etc. so in most cases we really have to take a look when we can and see what they look like to us comparatively.

But like I said it is valid to a point. What I see most here though is just a flat "I don't like them" type of thing because they don't participate in the playoffs. That is the part that is just dumb to me.

Milktruck74
June 4th, 2019, 07:52 PM
I think I’m in this club too. It is what it is. They can do what they want.

That makes me the third! If they have a solid record and there is some evidence of OOC play and I can determine a ranking for them....I do...otherwise I don't. Basically the same thing I do with every team....just that I have many more data points on other conferences.

Bisonator
June 4th, 2019, 09:47 PM

This is exactly why they should not be included. They don't play enough top 25 teams to even get a feel for how good they are so why should we have to guess. They don't care why should anyone else?

Bisonator
June 4th, 2019, 09:49 PM
Oh and NDSU is vastly overrated. Probably shouldn't even be ranked honestly.

JSUSoutherner
June 4th, 2019, 10:27 PM

Why don't you guys just drop down to D2? The days of Wentz carrying your sorry band of losers to Frisco is over. :D

Redbird 4th & short
June 4th, 2019, 11:14 PM
Ummm, with the CAA's farcical scheduling bullshyte, Maine misses JMU, Delaware AND Stony Brook.
again ???

Can we not play NDSU, SDSU, and UNI and just dilute our conference with 3 more weak teams for our conference ??? 6-5 is getting really old .. this would ensure an 8-3 record or better and at large bid, since SOS doesn't matter to some.

WestCoastAggie
June 5th, 2019, 08:24 AM
again ???

Can we not play NDSU, SDSU, and UNI and just dilute our conference with 3 more weak teams for our conference ??? 6-5 is getting really old .. this would ensure an 8-3 record or better and at large bid, since SOS doesn't matter to some.

You can but you gotta promise Murray State can join the MVC first.

ST_Lawson
June 5th, 2019, 08:40 AM
again ???

Well, with UND joining, Murray State maybe joining the MVC/MVFC, and...idk, UW-GB starting up a team and playing in the conference...there you go. We'll split into divisions and us IL schools will play teams like Murray State, Missouri State, and Green Bay every year.

clenz
June 5th, 2019, 09:12 AM
again ???

Can we not play NDSU, SDSU, and UNI and just dilute our conference with 3 more weak teams for our conference ??? 6-5 is getting really old .. this would ensure an 8-3 record or better and at large bid, since SOS doesn't matter to some.I'm trying to put 2 and 2 together on what it look like with UND joining but from what Patty V was saying last year and at the time of the announcement the unofficial split is going to he based on rivalry and travel. Meaning you'll be missing the Dakota 4 and maybe UNI more than you're playing that group

Having said that UNI is dropping NDSU in 22 and 23 apparently. Which goes against the initial idea of the split which lumped UNI with the Dakota 4, lumped the 5 eastern schools and floated MSU

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Well, with UND joining, Murray State maybe joining the MVC/MVFC, and...idk, UW-GB starting up a team and playing in the conference...there you go. We'll split into divisions and us IL schools will play teams like Murray State, Missouri State, and Green Bay every year.

Murray State would smack you guys all over the schoolyard. :D

Gangtackle11
June 5th, 2019, 10:27 AM

OK. I hear your argument. I’d be interested more in your solution for a 12 team conference.

11 conference games? No FBS/FCS OOC matchups? That’s unrealistic. Right?

I’d like to hear your solution. The CAA commish has a walkon son at Nova. I’d be glad to give him any constructive solutions. Thanks.xpeacex

Redbird 4th & short
June 5th, 2019, 11:52 AM
OK. I hear your argument. I’d be interested more in your solution for a 12 team conference.

11 conference games? No FBS/FCS OOC matchups? That’s unrealistic. Right?

I’d like to hear your solution. The CAA commish has a walkon son at Nova. I’d be glad to give him any constructive solutions. Thanks.xpeacex

I'm opposed to any further expansion of MVFC just for this reason. I preferred locking it down 9 teams. But I know its not realistic. But you can bet you'll see a lot more 8-3 teams from MVFC if we go to 12 teams .. especially if it splits the way many presume. And yes, then 7-4 in MVFC may not mean as much depending on which 8 we happened to play.

clenz
June 5th, 2019, 12:32 PM
I'm opposed to any further expansion of MVFC just for this reason. I preferred locking it down 9 teams. But I know its not realistic. But you can bet you'll see a lot more 8-3 teams from MVFC if we go to 12 teams .. especially if it splits the way many presume. And yes, then 7-4 in MVFC may not mean as much depending on which 8 we happened to play.

If the split happens the way most assume you're going to see a massive increase in record for the eastern schools in the MVFC.

The split would be

UNI
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
MOSO
--------
ISUR
ISUB
SIU
WIU
MUSU
YSU

In that set up YSU, ISUr and WIU all finish with no worse than 2 conference losses most years from that group - and likely 3 conference losses max

Redbird 4th & short
June 5th, 2019, 12:48 PM
If the split happens the way most assume you're going to see a massive increase in record for the eastern schools in the MVFC.

The split would be

UNI
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
MOSO
--------
ISUR
ISUB
SIU
WIU
MUSU
YSU

In that set up YSU, ISUr and WIU all finish with no worse than 2 conference losses most years from that group - and likely 3 conference losses max
Makes conplete sense if and when time comes ... but I'm not an expansion fan.

ST_Lawson
June 5th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Murray State would smack you guys all over the schoolyard. :D

I think you dropped your /s (sarcasm mark).

Murray State lost to SIU by 39 points last year at home.
WIU played at SIU and won by 3.
Massey Ratings says WIU would beat Murray State 37-16 at a neutral site.

RootinFerDukes
June 5th, 2019, 06:45 PM

If we wish enough in the preseason, y’all are bound to suck enough to only win 9 games for a change.

WeAreThePride
June 5th, 2019, 07:30 PM
If we wish enough in the preseason, y’all are bound to suck enough to only win 9 games for a change.
It would require the sacrifice of the firstborn son of every AD in the MVFC. An ancient ritual, fraught with peril.

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2019, 08:08 PM
I think you dropped your /s (sarcasm mark).

Murray State lost to SIU by 39 points last year at home.
WIU played at SIU and won by 3.
Massey Ratings says WIU would beat Murray State 37-16 at a neutral site.

Fake news.

Bow down to your Racer overlords.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 5th, 2019, 09:07 PM

Hopefully UND is the last addition.

Maybe YSU will leave eventually.

Serpentor
June 5th, 2019, 09:09 PM
My new heuristic for looking at these rankings is to invest heavily in legacy/recency over conference affiliation.

With that in mind I think Towson and Illinois State are a touch overrated (neither has won a playoff game since, I dunno, 2016?). Central Arkansas, Sam Houston State, and Kennesaw State are probably a touch underrated.

But again, it's all speculation at this point.

After last season I remain cautiously optimistic at best. Glad someone still has faith in us.

ysubigred
June 6th, 2019, 08:01 AM
Hopefully UND is the last addition.

Maybe YSU will leave eventually.

YSU needs to leave. I love the MVFC but not having any rivalry's, long distance travel is hurting the school. Most casual fans only identifies with NDSU in Y-Town for obvious reasons. It would be nice to be an all sport conference even "IF" it means non scholly or D-II xpeacex

Preferred Walk-On
June 6th, 2019, 01:22 PM
YSU needs to leave. I love the MVFC but not having any rivalry's, long distance travel is hurting the school. Most casual fans only identifies with NDSU in Y-Town for obvious reasons. It would be nice to be an all sport conference even "IF" it means non scholly or D-II xpeacex

My apologies for not knowing this, but who would (or who used to) be YSU's rivalry? In fact, I would ask this question about all MVFC schools, since I am not even sure NDSU-UND should (or will) be considered a rivalry game anymore.

Redbird 4th & short
June 6th, 2019, 01:32 PM
My apologies for not knowing this, but who would (or who used to) be YSU's rivalry? In fact, I would ask this question about all MVFC schools, since I am not even sure NDSU-UND should (or will) be considered a rivalry game anymore.
Rivalry can have 2 legit meanings .. competitive rivalry referring to teams that run into each other a lot and compete for championships, etc. Then there is historical/proximity rivals .. like my ISUr vs EIU. I think NDSU and UND fall into latter category. Sor of like Bear-Packers in 1980's ... when we used to be able to kick their arses all over the field. But the last 20 years ... kind of went other way on us.

Nothin wrong with the latter .. they're fun too.

- - - Updated - - -

Rivalry can have 2 legit meanings .. competitive rivalry referring to teams that run into each other a lot and compete for championships, etc. Then there is historical/proximity rivals .. like my ISUr vs EIU. I think NDSU vs UND falls into latter category. Sort of like Bear-Packers in 1980's ... when we used to be able to kick their arses all over the field. But the last 20 years ... kind of went other way on us.

Preferred Walk-On
June 6th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Rivalry can have 2 legit meanings .. competitive rivalry referring to teams that run into each other a lot and compete for championships, etc. Then there is historical/proximity rivals .. like my ISUr vs EIU. I think NDSU and UND fall into latter category. Sor of like Bear-Packers in 1980's ... when we used to be able to kick their arses all over the field. But the last 20 years ... kind of went other way on us.

I agree with you on both accounts. I feel like YSU's "competitive rival" might no longer be in the FCS, and I am just unclear who YSU's "historical/proximity rival" would be.

As for competitive vs. historical/proximity rivalry between NDSU and UND, it really depends on the era/decade. I would argue this was a competitive rivalry, as both teams were not only located an hour apart, but they were typically 1-2 in their conference with the rivalry game often deciding the conference title. It may take a bit to rejuvenate that competitive rivalry, but after not playing each other for over a decade, this appears to have shifted exclusively into a historical/proximity rivalry. In opposition to many on AGS (and many of my non-AGS friends) who wish that UND never wins a football game again, I am a proponent of this being re-established as a "competitive" rivalry.

clenz
June 6th, 2019, 01:57 PM
I'm long on record if wanting YSU out, but they aren't going anywhere. They have the perfect set up from an admin stand point.

Be in an all sports conference that I'd near the bottom of the country in total spending so money and competitiveness doesn't matter for other sports.

Football has a home on a top conference and can get all the money.

The CAA won't take them. Their fbs hard on won't let them consider the OVC for all sports including football.

There isn't enough scheduling stability to go Indy.

ysubigred
June 6th, 2019, 02:18 PM

Rivalries our natural ones are Kent, Akron and Dayton. OVC days EKU was one circled on the schedule. No problem. The few of us die hard fans (the aging group) love when UNI, NDSU, SDSU, and WIU comes to town. "IF" we all were in the same conference for all sports then more fans Casual and younger who attend other sports games would know MVFC teams. Just saying.

ysubigred
June 6th, 2019, 02:20 PM
I'm long on record if wanting YSU out, but they aren't going anywhere. They have the perfect set up from an admin stand point.

Be in an all sports conference that I'd near the bottom of the country in total spending so money and competitiveness doesn't matter for other sports.

Football has a home on a top conference and can get all the money.

The CAA won't take them. Their fbs hard on won't let them consider the OVC for all sports including football.

There isn't enough scheduling stability to go Indy.

+1^ the MAC was in our sights but I won't bore anybody with that F-UP.

Paladin1aa
June 6th, 2019, 03:13 PM
YSU probably should leave the MVFC. No rivalry, long distance travel and little fan interest. However, the moron AD got them into the Horizon League for all other sports for shorter distance travel but killed off basketball in the process. Despite spending little on other sports, football suffers under this arrangement. This means football is the only real money revenue sport and must support all others.

Rjones61
June 6th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Some serious EWU disrespect. two teams we beat in playoffs are ranked above us. One of which being Maine which got absolutely dismantled by the EWU squad xshakefistx

EWU is returning one of the best offensive line in the league, one of the most electrifying QBs in the league, an extremely deep wide receiver corps, Antoine Custer III comes back from injury.

Much of the defense was starting by the end of the season due to injury, as pointed out in the article. We will reload on the defensive side of the ball.

KPSUL
June 6th, 2019, 03:23 PM
3 of the 4 CAA teams in this pre-season Top 25 all have new head coaches, and almost all new coaching staffs. Interesting?

KPSUL
June 6th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Some serious EWU disrespect. two teams we beat in playoffs are ranked above us. One of which being Maine which got absolutely dismantled by the EWU squad xshakefistx

EWU is returning one of the best offensive line in the league, one of the most electrifying QBs in the league, an extremely deep wide receiver corps, Antoine Custer III comes back from injury.

Much of the defense was starting by the end of the season due to injury, as pointed out in the article. We will reload on the defensive side of the ball.

You must not understand the highly analytical method they apply:
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30651&stc=1

- - - Updated - - -

Rjones61
June 6th, 2019, 04:04 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha!

Thumper 76
June 6th, 2019, 05:44 PM

It’s great you guys beat those teams, but that is shown in last years poll, not this upcoming one xcoffeex

Rjones61
June 6th, 2019, 06:14 PM
It’s great you guys beat those teams, but that is shown in last years poll, not this upcoming one xcoffeex

Which is why I added more evidence. xrolleyesx

- - - Updated - - -

tierre
June 7th, 2019, 01:45 AM
Looking at the HBCUs, NCAT would have been ranked if they didn't lose 16 starters. Alcorn returns 16 starters and a team that really should have beaten NCAT. I hope that we can continue this success. We also must improve our scheduling. We have 4 OOC games against USM (Alcorn old Head Coach and favorites to win C-USA), McNeese St. who is a Southland Conference powerhouse, Savannah St. who is transitioning back down to D2 from the MEAC, and Mississippi College who moved from D3 to D2 about 4 years ago. However the SWAC as a whole must start winning OOC games. My team hasn't an FCS school since 2006 against SE Louisiana. These games against D3 and NAIA schools must come off the schedule.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 7th, 2019, 08:20 AM

See Athlon top 25 poll, it will make you feel betterxthumbsupx

This preseason polls are junk, Maine was not even mentioned anywhere preseason last year and turned it pretty well for usxdrunkyx

ST_Lawson
June 7th, 2019, 08:23 AM

WIU used to have a good rivalry with EIU back in the '70s and '80s in football and basketball (our singe-game BBall attendance record was set when we were hosting EIU back in the '80s), but that's pretty much gone since they left the conferences that we were in. Now, I'd say the biggest ones for most of our fans are probably ILSU, SIU, and UNI. We've been playing those teams in football for a long time, and many of our students throughout that time had family/friends who went to the other schools (especially ISU and SIU). They're games that our fans seem to get a bit more excited for, although I don't know that any of our matchups would be considered a true "rivalry" like you see with a lot of schools.

POD Knows
June 7th, 2019, 08:27 AM
I agree with you on both accounts. I feel like YSU's "competitive rival" might no longer be in the FCS, and I am just unclear who YSU's "historical/proximity rival" would be.

As for competitive vs. historical/proximity rivalry between NDSU and UND, it really depends on the era/decade. I would argue this was a competitive rivalry, as both teams were not only located an hour apart, but they were typically 1-2 in their conference with the rivalry game often deciding the conference title. It may take a bit to rejuvenate that competitive rivalry, but after not playing each other for over a decade, this appears to have shifted exclusively into a historical/proximity rivalry. In opposition to many on AGS (and many of my non-AGS friends) who wish that UND never wins a football game again, I am a proponent of this being re-established as a "competitive" rivalry.Why the **** would you want them to win another football game or be competitive in the conference or in state. Their program needs to be ground into the dust so they are competing for D3 prospects for football.

Do you want the games to be competitive so it is easier to scalp your Bison tickets, I see no other reason for wanting the games to be competitive.

clenz
June 7th, 2019, 09:04 AM
WIU used to have a good rivalry with EIU back in the '70s and '80s in football and basketball (our singe-game BBall attendance record was set when we were hosting EIU back in the '80s), but that's pretty much gone since they left the conferences that we were in. Now, I'd say the biggest ones for most of our fans are probably ILSU, SIU, and UNI. We've been playing those teams in football for a long time, and many of our students throughout that time had family/friends who went to the other schools (especially ISU and SIU). They're games that our fans seem to get a bit more excited for, although I don't know that any of our matchups would be considered a true "rivalry" like you see with a lot of schools.I don't know a single UNI fan that would call WIU a rival.

Nothing has ever happened between the two to become a rival. The only sport we play in is football. There isnt any heat in those games for whatever reason. Even though the schools are like 3.5 hours apart there is virtually no battles over recruits

It's actually a bit odd how "well" the two bases get along given decades of playing every year and being a stones throw apart.

uni88
June 7th, 2019, 09:22 AM
I don't know a single UNI fan that would call WIU a rival.

Nothing has ever happened between the two to become a rival. The only sport we play in is football. There isnt any heat in those games for whatever reason. Even though the schools are like 3.5 hours apart there is virtually no battles over recruits

It's actually a bit odd how "well" the two bases get along given decades of playing every year and being a stones throw apart.

Well now you know one. I grew up in Southeastern Iowa. We could go to WIU for in state tuition and more people from my high school went there then UNI (WIU, Truman State and Iowa were probably the top 3).

There was a little bit of a pregame dust-up before the game in 1987. If I remember correctly, WIU was 6-0, highly ranked and had front loaded their schedule with conference games so a win would give them the Gateway title. UNI was 3-3 (losses to Iowa State, Minnesota and ???). A WIU writer started flaming UNI and the conference had the trophy ready to present after the game. UNI absolutely destroyed them 52-7. It was a glorious day.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Professor
June 7th, 2019, 09:37 AM
Looking at the HBCUs, NCAT would have been ranked if they didn't lose 16 starters. Alcorn returns 16 starters and a team that really should have beaten NCAT. I hope that we can continue this success. We also must improve our scheduling. We have 4 OOC games against USM (Alcorn old Head Coach and favorites to win C-USA), McNeese St. who is a Southland Conference powerhouse, Savannah St. who is transitioning back down to D2 from the MEAC, and Mississippi College who moved from D3 to D2 about 4 years ago. However the SWAC as a whole must start winning OOC games. My team hasn't an FCS school since 2006 against SE Louisiana. These games against D3 and NAIA schools must come off the schedule.

You said it all. Man Alcorn should be having some home and home game with some regional FCS schools. It's time and if they don't make the championship, playoffs could be a possibility

- - - Updated - - -

You said it all. Man Alcorn should be having some home and home game with some regional FCS schools. It's time and if they don't make the championship, playoffs could be a possibility

Panther88
June 7th, 2019, 10:49 AM
the SWAC as a whole must start winning OOC games.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

PVAMU has uofh at their place and we host SLC favored Nichols St at our place the following week. I won't speak on the other OOC games vs sub-D1 squads. xsmhx

- - - Updated - - -

the SWAC as a whole must start winning OOC games.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

PVAMU has uofh at their place and we host SLC favored Nichols St at our place the following week. I won't speak on the other OOC games vs sub-D1 squads. xsmhx

BEAR
June 7th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Man what is it with all the double posting on these boards?! xlolx

If it tells you "this is a duplicate of a post you posted less than 5 minutes ago" (or something like that) then just click to the thread at the top don't click to post it again! I noticed doing that makes a big difference. Ursus I'm sure is on this !

Herder
June 7th, 2019, 11:22 AM

If the Ivy pulls out of the playoffs for basketball, baseball, lacrosse, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc . . . then I'll not have an opinion on it.

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 01:17 PM

If it tells you "this is a duplicate of a post you posted less than 5 minutes ago" (or something like that) then just click to the thread at the top don't click to post it again! I noticed doing that makes a big difference. Ursus I'm sure is on this !

There's a glitch in the matrix.

Rjones61
June 7th, 2019, 02:09 PM

I've been getting a lot of double posts. It's been an issue for me for six months now, but it seems that the disease has spread.

Worst part is that I can't edit it out!

Preferred Walk-On
June 7th, 2019, 02:57 PM
I've been getting a lot of double posts. It's been an issue for me for six months now, but it seems that the disease has spread.

Worst part is that I can't edit it out!

I have been replying today, and my first one did the duplicate thing, but it appears to no longer be doing that now. I haven't tried the edit, but when duplicate posts were occurring earlier, yes, you could not edit it out. Thought it might be my browser at the time.

McNeese72
June 10th, 2019, 08:57 AM

- - - Updated - - -

They are playing McNeese this season in the second half of a home and home. First game was in 2017 at Alcorn.

We are also playing Southern in the first half of a home and home this season.

Doc

Thumper 76
June 10th, 2019, 12:45 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, no doubt you’ll have a good offense. Reloading on defense hasn’t really been a calling card for EWU though. Just because you said it doesn’t mean everyone has to believe it. You’re still ranked top 10, in the preseason, not really something to get worked up over IMO.

Professor
June 10th, 2019, 01:32 PM
They are playing McNeese this season in the second half of a home and home. First game was in 2017 at Alcorn.

We are also playing Southern in the first half of a home and home this season.

Doc

Could be 0-2 for you. Alcorn and Southern will be the 2 of the top teams this year in the SWAC

Bison56
June 11th, 2019, 07:10 AM

FYI you don't have to read both posts.xthumbsupx

McNeese72
June 11th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Could be 0-2 for you. Alcorn and Southern will be the 2 of the top teams this year in the SWAC

That's a possibility. McNeese fans don't know what we will have this season with a complete reboot of our coaching staff. Could be real good or we could struggle at first.

Doc

Rjones61
June 11th, 2019, 11:53 PM
Eh, no doubt you’ll have a good offense. Reloading on defense hasn’t really been a calling card for EWU though. Just because you said it doesn’t mean everyone has to believe it. You’re still ranked top 10, in the preseason, not really something to get worked up over IMO.

Not getting worked up over anything, but this is the off season and discussion is bare.

Our previous coaching staff had defensive difficulties. Best has made it a point to not make offense the soul of our team.

And again, most of the players on the defensive side of the ball during playoffs were the same players filling the gaps for injuries. We graduated many defensive "starters" who were injured by seasons end (or suspension *cough*)

Linebacker Chris Ojoh is an absolute machine and will be an all American by seasons end.

This team will be special and I fully expect us to be knocking on the championship door again.