PDA

View Full Version : Best game atmospheres!

SU Jag
April 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Hey guys lets give some props to someone else. Who has the best game atmosophere that you've seen!

I gotta go with Jackson State at my #1 spot. There is nothing like a big game at JSU(expecially the SU/JSU game).
#2-Tuskegee(yes Tuskegee)-nothing like a big game down in Macon County, Alabama. Tuskegee is usually 1 or 2 in d-2 in attendence, and their game atmosphere is off the chains. Tailgating, vendors, the whole 9yards.
#3-Grambling-Nuff said!
#4-FAMU-expecially when Southern comes to town
#5-Homecomming at Alcorn-xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

Proud Griz Man
April 25th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Hey guys lets give some props to someone else. Who has the best game atmosophere that you've seen!

I gotta go with Jackson State at my #1 spot. There is nothing like a big game at JSU(expecially the SU/JSU game).
#2-Tuskegee(yes Tuskegee)-nothing like a big game down in Macon County, Alabama. Tuskegee is usually 1 or 2 in d-2 in attendence, and their game atmosphere is off the chains. Tailgating, vendors, the whole 9yards.
#3-Grambling-Nuff said!
#4-FAMU-expecially when Southern comes to town

Hasn't this topic been discussed before, maybe 4-5 times ?xoopsx

SU Jag
April 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hasn't this topic been discussed before, maybe 4-5 times ?xoopsx

Its the off-season! Hard to find topics!xnodx

GaSouthern
April 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM
beat me to it, just add a post to an old thread rather than starting new ones; cleans the forum up!

GaSouthern
April 25th, 2007, 06:32 PM
PS:

#1 MONTANA
#2 Georgia Southern / UNI / NDSU / APP ST.

phillyAPP
April 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM
PS:

#1 MONTANA
#2 Georgia Southern / UNI / NDSU / APP ST.

I like it.

Matt Dougherty had a good opinion.

Za-KEE-uS
April 25th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I'd have to say.......McNeese

UNHFan99
April 25th, 2007, 07:29 PM
1) Montana
2) Delaware
3) Georgia Southern

My top three I have played at in order. This topic does come up every 6 months though.

NDSUFREAK
April 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
NDSU should have an even better atmosphere this upcoming year so we are catching up! xthumbsupx

GaSouthern
April 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I FORGOT DEL AND MCNEESE!! mybad guys!

seantaylor
April 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM
1. GSU
2. Montana
3. Youngstown

TheBisonator
April 26th, 2007, 07:26 AM
1) Montana

2) Put GaSU, JMU, NDSU, McNeese State, Southern, Youngstown, Grambling, Delaware and App State in any order you want.

HIU 93
April 26th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Completely off the chain.

Bud2003
April 26th, 2007, 09:01 AM
1. University of Delaware
2. Georgia Southern University
3. South Carolina State University
4. Florida A&M University
5. Citadel (maybe a little biased, but ya can't knock the tradition and the scenery)
App State is nice too...

bison95
April 26th, 2007, 09:25 AM
NDSU should have an even better atmosphere this upcoming year so we are catching up! xthumbsupx
Are they taking the roof off?

I am not a fan of the Fargodome and the atmosphere is too quiet!

GeauxColonels
April 26th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I'd have to say.......McNeese
It's no contest in the SLC....it HAS to be McNeese State.

FlyYtown
April 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I got 3 to put up there.... these are from prior experiences,
1)McNeese State-These folks take tailgating seriously
2)Youngstown State: If anyone was there the day we beat JMU, you'd agree it was simply amazing how that place was rocking.
3)Delaware-Stadium could use an uplift, but the fans keep coming.

GreatAppSt
April 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM
UM

UD

Mcneese, App, Ytown

GSU is out of my top 5 maybe even top ten. Not that I like saying it, the effort of the fans is there, but the new soccor stadium IMHO just killed the atmosphere, it will never be the same.:(

Za-KEE-uS
April 26th, 2007, 09:45 PM
2)Youngstown State: If anyone was there the day we beat JMU, you'd agree it was simply amazing how that place was rocking.
xrotatehx Thats any college in Louisiana, Tailgating = way of life

GeauxColonels
April 26th, 2007, 10:08 PM
xrotatehx Thats any college in Louisiana, Tailgating = way of life
Eh...some people do...but Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana and Nicholls State (expecially) don't come CLOSE to stacking up against McNeese State.

LegacyDuke08
April 27th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Umm, I was there for the JMU-Y-town game and the place was NOT rocking. The stadium wasn't near full. Agreed its probably a great atmosphere when its full (i really liked your home side stands) but not rocking that day.

I would have to pick certain games for that as well as teams.

1.) JMU @ W&M - 2004 semifinal
2.) any JMU-UD game (UD has a great home atmosphere, some of the most loyal fans in the nation)
3.) Montana
4.) App State

BgJag
April 27th, 2007, 02:30 AM
1) Southern

2) Put Montana, GaSU, JMU, NDSU, McNeese State, Youngstown, Grambling, Delaware and App State in any order you want.

Fixed it for you!xthumbsupx

henfan
April 27th, 2007, 09:35 AM
The gameday experiences at the Citadel and Lehigh are way underrated, IMO.

appfan2008
April 27th, 2007, 09:40 AM
app state would have never made this list 2 years ago but today they are truly one of the best...

GannonFan
April 27th, 2007, 10:13 AM
The gameday experiences at the Citadel and Lehigh are way underrated, IMO.

Lehigh ain't bad, they just need to fill the place a little more and it would be good. Actually, I could see how it was better at the old stadium before they built Goodman.

AppGuy04
April 27th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I have been to every DI stadium in North Carolina and is App is #2 IMO, right behind NC State, ECU is a close 3rd

Appstate29
April 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I have been to every DI stadium in North Carolina and is App is #2 IMO, right behind NC State, ECU is a close 3rd

I'd take Raley Lot over just about anything anybody has to offer...

bluehenbillk
April 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Lehigh ain't bad, they just need to fill the place a little more and it would be good. Actually, I could see how it was better at the old stadium before they built Goodman.

Lehigh has to use a John Edwards phrase, too much of a high-falutin crowd to be a great game atmosphere.

henfan
April 27th, 2007, 11:03 AM

In what respect was old Taylor Stadium better than Goodman? I'll give you that it was more intimate but, then again, so is a prison cell. The place was horribly outdated in every regard.

Za-KEE-uS
April 27th, 2007, 01:20 PM
For a game atmosphere you have to put the Bayou Classic at the top. Nationally televised, battle of the bands, and in the Superdome which gets pretty loud xnodx

GannonFan
April 27th, 2007, 01:23 PM
In what respect was old Taylor Stadium better than Goodman? I'll give you that it was more intimate but, then again, so is a prison cell. The place was horribly outdated in every regard.

Just atmosphere - the problem I have with Goodman is it feels quiet up there - maybe it's the mountain air and noise doesn't travel, but it feels stale and static. Have you ever been to Frawley Stadium in Wilmigton for the Blue Rocks? It kinda feels like that does if you sit down the 3rd base side closest to the interstate - you almost feel removed from the action since the noise from the interstate blocks out most of the noise from the game. Goodman is real purty, and it's certainly new, but feel-wise it misses something.

GannonFan
April 27th, 2007, 01:26 PM
For a game atmosphere you have to put the Bayou Classic at the top. Nationally televised, battle of the bands, and in the Superdome which gets pretty loud xnodx

I've never been at a game that was nationally televised and felt like the gameday atmosphere was really that different - all the other things are certainly true and add to the atmosphere, but for me sitting in the stadium, the game being televised doesn't enhance my appreciation of the game. Heck, with the additional and longer tv timeouts, you could argue that it detracts a little bit from the atmosphere.

appfan2008
April 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
having been a duke fan all my life going to many games, and having my brother in the band currently i can honestly say that duke would be last even behind anything you can throw out their including elon and davidson

appfan2008
April 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
too bad that wont be happening next year :(

AppGuy04
April 28th, 2007, 08:37 AM

on a larger scale, maybe

appfan2008
April 28th, 2007, 08:40 AM
raley lot was special (though not to big) but will be missed... i cant believe cobb is moving us to greenwood

AppGuy04
April 28th, 2007, 08:45 AM
raley lot was special (though not to big) but will be missed... i cant believe cobb is moving us to greenwood

there will always be change with growth

atleast we don't have the four hour rule like State

Appstate29
April 28th, 2007, 09:33 AM
on a larger scale, maybe

Large is cool, but i'd rather have it like it was, small intimate, almost exclusively students and young alumni, lifeguard stands, the band, perfection achieved. It is a shame we have to give it up, but things change when a program grows, i'll miss it, but more ppl need to give money to athletics, and if this gets us more money, i'm down with tailgating in greenwood.

appfan2008
April 28th, 2007, 10:18 AM
greenwood will be just fine until we have to walk back to our cars after the game... having done that walk (up to app heights) everyday for two years i can tell you it seriously sucks

ngineer
April 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM

It's tough to do when a good number of the visiting schools only bring a couple hundred--at most. Not a knock either, small enrollments and few alums in the area.
However when we play a bigger school, like UD, Harvard, Penn, etc then the place gets around 80% full and it's a great scene.
Of course, when the Leopards visit it's SRO and there is no place in FCS land that compares to that atmosphere.

ngineer
April 28th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Having played in Taylor, and been to many games there and at Goodman, the only way Taylor was any 'better' was the closeness to the field and the steep pitched stadium. However the old concrete ledges were horrible to sit on. The noise was intimidating with the steel upper deck and the students stomping in rhythm to the sound of a steam engine. Plus the stadium was surrounded by other city buildings which held in the noise and riccocheted off the walls. The field , itself, was the best on the East Coast.

FlyYtown
April 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Umm, I was there for the JMU-Y-town game and the place was NOT rocking. The stadium wasn't near full. Agreed its probably a great atmosphere when its full (i really liked your home side stands) but not rocking that day.

Speak for yourself there. You were on the visitors side which was maybe 80% full with your JMU fans.

You weren't on the Home Side which was electric on every single play in the 1st - 2nd and 4th quarter.... The last time Stambaugh was like that had to be back in 99 for the Florida A&M game.

Watch this; note my audio on my camera sucks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0irIWj01FE

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Eh...some people do...but Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana and Nicholls State (expecially) don't come CLOSE to stacking up against McNeese State.
Lets be real. In Louisiana, behind LSU, Its SUperior all day long. Its not even close. 200 plus RV's every home game.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 28th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Fixed it for you!xthumbsupx
They know the truth. xlolx

appfan2008
April 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM
but then again you dont compare to lsu... they are the shiz

DFW HOYA
April 28th, 2007, 09:15 PM
It's tough to do when a good number of the visiting schools only bring a couple hundred--at most. Not a knock either, small enrollments and few alums in the area.
However when we play a bigger school, like UD, Harvard, Penn, etc then the place gets around 80% full and it's a great scene.

What's the number among visiting fans by school? I can't imagine many Georgetown fans are driving up to the Mountain by sheer distance and a lack of alumni in the area, but Lehigh should get decent numbers from Colgate, Bucknell, and Lafayette.

Outside of Lehigh and Colgate, road crowds to Washington are fairly small. A trip to DC in the fall would be a great weekend for fans, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

ngineer
April 29th, 2007, 12:02 AM
What's the number among visiting fans by school? I can't imagine many Georgetown fans are driving up to the Mountain by sheer distance and a lack of alumni in the area, but Lehigh should get decent numbers from Colgate, Bucknell, and Lafayette.

Outside of Lehigh and Colgate, road crowds to Washington are fairly small. A trip to DC in the fall would be a great weekend for fans, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Sometimes a special like 'parents weekend' will boost attendance, as in 2005 with the Hoyas when attendance was 13, 071, but typically there isn't much travelling by other schools. Colgate and Bucknell have brought a couple thousand in past years combined with local alums and those that travel--especially when they're doing well. The Lafayette Game is ALWAYS SRO. They could sell 20,000 but for some reason keep the attendance at 17,000 or so. The first couple years at Goodman they put up temporaries for the Lafayette Game, but don't do that anymore. 1989 and 1991 had crowds around 19,000. The Bucknell game in 2000 had the largest NON-Lafayette game crowd: 16,906, which was Parents' Weekend.
Lehigh has typically averaged around 10,000 a game over the years. Bad weather has hampered attendance the past couple years. With enrollment around 4,600, I think that's pretty decent.
I went to G'town last year via bus. Yes, it can be made into a great destination game for an excellent weekend with all there is to do in DC. I was surprised though that we had almost as many fans on our side of the field as were in the Hoyas' stands. Something should be done to try and stimulate student involvement. With the stadium right in the middle of the campus it's so easy for people to roll into...xconfusedx

Grizalltheway
April 29th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Of course, when the Leopards visit it's SRO and there is no place in FCS land that compares to that atmosphere.

I don't know, cat-griz was pretty rockin' last year. There was barely room to breath in the student section.

Ronbo
April 29th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Montana
Sports Illustrated's #25 Best Gameday Atmosphere in all of college football.

Matt Daugherty - On his favorite venues:
"Montana is one. I almost felt like a rock star there. FCS football is such a big deal there. They recognized me when I pulled my car in. That was a shock. That's the type of place I go on two different pregame radio shows. It's so big-time. Notre Dame is probably the biggest venue I've been to and Montana is more comparable to a big-time place like that then they are to the other I-AA schools.

Don't flame me, this is the experts opinions.;)

GeauxColonels
April 29th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Lets be real. In Louisiana, behind LSU, Its SUperior all day long. Its not even close. 200 plus RV's every home game.
True. I've never been to a game at Southern...I was mostly speaking in terms of the schools in the SLC.

jmufootball2
April 30th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Ralph, what is your top 10?

appfan2008
April 30th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Montana

"Montana is one. I almost felt like a rock star there. FCS football is such a big deal there. They recognized me when I pulled my car in. That was a shock. That's the type of place I go on two different pregame radio shows. It's so big-time. Notre Dame is probably the biggest venue I've been to and Montana is more comparable to a big-time place like that then they are to the other I-AA schools.

i dont think anyone is dabating that montana is number one!

JDC325
April 30th, 2007, 11:28 AM
UM

UD

Mcneese, App, Ytown

GSU is out of my top 5 maybe even top ten. Not that I like saying it, the effort of the fans is there, but the new soccor stadium IMHO just killed the atmosphere, it will never be the same.:(

Amen brother now go on TSC and say that and our A.D. kool aid drinkers will jump all over you.

HIU 93
April 30th, 2007, 12:47 PM
1. Battle of the Bay (would be better if NSU won a game every now and then)

2. NC A&T homecoming- WOW!!!!!

appfan2008
April 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
do the gsu eagles use their football field for soccer also???

JDC325
April 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM
do the gsu eagles use their football field for soccer also???

NO, however they built a soccer and track facility that used to be parking for football. Now only boosters or people with parking passes can park at the stadium. So no more students forming great memories, future high revenue parking gone forever, and no more opposing fans getting to park close hence GreatAppStates lowering of GSU in his personal rankings. Just another great decision made by our illustrious AD.

PantherRob82
April 30th, 2007, 06:03 PM
YSU has some great pre-game festivities.

FlyYtown
April 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
YSU has some great pre-game festivities.
Thanks PR82... Tell Matt Dougherty that.
xlolx xlolx

ngineer
April 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Montana

On a regular basis I concede. But when it's Lehigh v. Lafayette, it's a different world. I ran into people in LA who every year travel around the country to the 'big' rivalry games, and they easily volunteered that the intensity between the student bodies at the Lehigh-Lafayette game exceeded many of the 'big time' programs (Michigan-Ohio St, Alabama-Auburn, Clemson-USC,..) Yes, the crowd is much 25% the size, but the intensity is unparalleled. To paraphrase Steve Kreider, former WR of the Cincinnati Bengals, after his first appearance in the Super Bowl against the 49ers back in 1986, "It's neat to play in the Super Bowl, but it doesn't compare to Lehigh-Lafayette.";)

LegacyDuke08
May 1st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Speak for yourself there. You were on the visitors side which was maybe 80% full with your JMU fans.

You weren't on the Home Side which was electric on every single play in the 1st - 2nd and 4th quarter.... The last time Stambaugh was like that had to be back in 99 for the Florida A&M game.

Watch this; note my audio on my camera sucks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0irIWj01FE

I am speaking for myself. Yeah it was loud but APP State is just as loud. Hell JMU was that loud at the UD game this year. If that is the turnout at a playoff game, I don't care to see what your regular season is like. You do realize they had to mic your student section because 10 students don't make enough noise for ESPN.

LegacyDuke08
May 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
On a regular basis I concede. But when it's Lehigh v. Lafayette, it's a different world. I ran into people in LA who every year travel around the country to the 'big' rivalry games, and they easily volunteered that the intensity between the student bodies at the Lehigh-Lafayette game exceeded many of the 'big time' programs (Michigan-Ohio St, Alabama-Auburn, Clemson-USC,..) Yes, the crowd is much 25% the size, but the intensity is unparalleled. To paraphrase Steve Kreider, former WR of the Cincinnati Bengals, after his first appearance in the Super Bowl against the 49ers back in 1986, "It's neat to play in the Super Bowl, but it doesn't compare to Lehigh-Lafayette.";)

I can attest to that. I am from Bethlehem and the Lehigh-Lafayette game is a BIG deal. Longest rivalry in college. You could have a bad impression though cuz when JMU beat them in the 2004 playoffs it was empty.

The funny thing about this atmosphere topic is the Easton-Pburg high school thanksgiving game is a sellout every year and the longest running high school rivalry.

CopperCat
May 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
i dont think anyone is dabating that montana is number one!

Not even you?xrotatehx

ngineer
May 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM
I can attest to that. I am from Bethlehem and the Lehigh-Lafayette game is a BIG deal. Longest rivalry in college. You could have a bad impression though cuz when JMU beat them in the 2004 playoffs it was empty.
The funny thing about this atmosphere topic is the Easton-Pburg high school thanksgiving game is a sellout every year and the longest running high school rivalry.

You are correct. The 2004 first round playoff game was great, and unfortunately only 9,000-10,000 people in a place that can hold 20,000 (with the endzone grass seating). That's the problem with that game being played on Thanksgiving weekend.

And Yes, the Easton-Pburg Game is a scene unto it's own. So many long time relationships between the two cities divided by the Delaware River. Both my kids went to Easton High,so I can attest to that intensity first hand.

LegacyDuke08
May 1st, 2007, 10:25 PM
[/B]

You are correct. The 2004 first round playoff game was great, and unfortunately only 9,000-10,000 people in a place that can hold 20,000 (with the endzone grass seating). That's the problem with that game being played on Thanksgiving weekend.

And Yes, the Easton-Pburg Game is a scene unto it's own. So many long time relationships between the two cities divided by the Delaware River. Both my kids went to Easton High,so I can attest to that intensity first hand.

What year were they? We may a lot of friends in common. I went to church in Easton so know a lot of people there.

JMUfan2008
May 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I am speaking for myself. Yeah it was loud but APP State is just as loud. Hell JMU was that loud at the UD game this year. If that is the turnout at a playoff game, I don't care to see what your regular season is like. You do realize they had to mic your student section because 10 students don't make enough noise for ESPN.

agreed...if you have that many people and it's "electric" you should be much louder than you were. There were few times when I thought you were actually as loud as you should have been. App St was much better and that wasn't even a playoff game.

65 Pard
May 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I've been to Michigan Stadium for Ohio State-Michigan and the 100,000 plus fans there didn't produce the roar that I heard at Lafayette Lehigh in the old Taylor Stadium....I have never experienced anything like it anywhere....The combination of the acoustics and crowd intensity was amazing and it revved up the fans and the players to a fever pitch....

With Taylor gone, the reverberating noise is somewhat lessened but the tradition that fuels this rivalry still makes it something you have to see at least once in your life......only thing that comes close is maybe Army Navy....

ngineer
May 5th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I've been to Michigan Stadium for Ohio State-Michigan and the 100,000 plus fans there didn't produce the roar that I heard at Lafayette Lehigh in the old Taylor Stadium....I have never experienced anything like it anywhere....The combination of the acoustics and crowd intensity was amazing and it revved up the fans and the players to a fever pitch....

With Taylor gone, the reverberating noise is somewhat lessened but the tradition that fuels this rivalry still makes it something you have to see at least once in your life......only thing that comes close is maybe Army Navy....

Yes, as I said elsewhere, the one thing I miss about Taylor is the closeness to the field combined with the noise element. The way the stadium was configured at the bottom of the mountain, surrounded by buildings and everything concrete the noise bounced around pretty good.
Regardless, the intensity between not only the players but the entire student bodies is something unique--and probably challenged only by Army-Navy because of the nature of the academy mentality of having 'mortal enemies'...xthumbsupx

ngineer
May 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM
What year were they? We may a lot of friends in common. I went to church in Easton so know a lot of people there.

My daughter graduated in 1998 and my son in 2004. Daughter was in the orchestra--concert mistress 1997 and 1998 with the violin and was also on the tennis team. Son was in the Red Rover Marching Band (drum major in 2003-04) and Jazz Band as well as played lacrosse. We attend Palmer Moravian Church.

AppGuy04
May 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM
agreed...if you have that many people and it's "electric" you should be much louder than you were. There were few times when I thought you were actually as loud as you should have been. App St was much better and that wasn't even a playoff game.

alot of that was b/c #5 was a cocky ahole and the students got on him

Mr. C
May 5th, 2007, 09:35 AM
My favorites (of places I've been in person) in no particular order:

Montana, McNeese State, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State. I haven't been to a game at Delaware, but I was impressed by what they did on the road at the 2003 championship game. Same goes for the road warriors from James Madison. UNI fans were pretty impressive at the 2005 championship game, too.

Henny
May 5th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I attended one game at old Taylor in the 80s and enjoyed every minute as a fan of the history of the game. Great atmosphere, tailgaiting, leaves changing. Just a great setting for a college game. The one very odd thing about the stadium was the away stands stopped at the 35 yard line. I always wondered why.

Any Lehigh fans know the reason why?

crunifan
May 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
My favorites (of places I've been in person) in no particular order:

Montana, McNeese State, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State. I haven't been to a game at Delaware, but I was impressed by what they did on the road at the 2003 championship game. Same goes for the road warriors from James Madison. UNI fans were pretty impressive at the 2005 championship game, too.

You should see what we can do when you add another 6-7,000 fans and a metal roof. xnodx

LegacyDuke08
May 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM
My daughter graduated in 1998 and my son in 2004. Daughter was in the orchestra--concert mistress 1997 and 1998 with the violin and was also on the tennis team. Son was in the Red Rover Marching Band (drum major in 2003-04) and Jazz Band as well as played lacrosse. We attend Palmer Moravian Church.

Some of my really good friends graduated with your son. Joe Varela, Luke Carlson, Justin Matulewicz, Allison Briggs just to name a few. I went to Lehigh Valley Christian on the east end of Allentown. Small world huh?

SeattleGriz
May 6th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Here is game highlights of Montana vs UMass. Shows what the atmosphere is like. By the way, notice how the ESPN mics "fritz" out due to the crowd noise right before the end of the first half when Montana scores.

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2006_2007/Football/Multimedia/vs_Massachus/um-mass-2006.wmv

That was an awesome game.

CopperCat
May 6th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I've been going to MSU games since I was about 8 or 9, and the one thing that we have always lacked was a good game announcer. We had a recent attempt to put a guy in there that would get the crowd into it more, but I guess he didn't make the cut. Instead, we went back to a guy that is almost flat, no motivation, no crowd stimulation AT ALL. UM, you guys are really lucky because they guy you have over there is what makes the buzz in the stadium happen. If MSU could do one simple thing like adding a good announcer (or any program for that matter), it would make a world of difference for home games.

ngineer
May 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I attended one game at old Taylor in the 80s and enjoyed every minute as a fan of the history of the game. Great atmosphere, tailgaiting, leaves changing. Just a great setting for a college game. The one very odd thing about the stadium was the away stands stopped at the 35 yard line. I always wondered why.

Any Lehigh fans know the reason why?

Actually the visitor's stands extended out of the western endzone and reached to just about the 50--maybe a little shy. Originally, Taylor Stadium was also home to the baseball team, with the diamond at the eastern end. By the 1980's the baseball accourtrements, except the dugouts and the high screen on the old right field fence were removed. A new baseball stadium was constructed over on the developing Goodman Campus.
The farthest reach of the visitor's stands was basically dead center for the old baseball park. Any further extension would have placed the old concrete seats well into right centerfield. The unusual dimensions created some anomalies. The leftfield line was about 500 feet, whereas the right field fence that ran along Packer Avenue was about 270--hence they built a big screen that went up about 40 feet. Deep rightcenter, where the wall met the back of the 'center field seats' was about 440 and then cut back along those visitor stands to dead center that was probably about 380'.
I have a calendar with a lot of old shots of Taylor as a commemorative item that was issued years ago. I also have an 'official brick' together with care instructions sitting on the credenza in my office.;) xreadx

elkmcc
May 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Here is game highlights of Montana vs UMass. Shows what the atmosphere is like. By the way, notice how the ESPN mics "fritz" out due to the crowd noise right before the end of the first half when Montana scores.

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2006_2007/Football/Multimedia/vs_Massachus/um-mass-2006.wmv

That was an awesome game.

A tremendous game, one of the best ever in WaGriz IMO. The ESPN telecast was even better in HD. I had recorded it with my DVR but it was only later when (I purchased a HDTV this past weekendxnodx ) that I could see the broadcast in HD. I wasn't even sure if my DVR would record in HD but it was a pleasant surprise to see that it did. If any of you Griz fans or UMASS fans have not had a chance to see the HD broadcast it really is a must. Unfrigginbelievable!

GeauxColonels
May 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM
A tremendous game, one of the best ever in WaGriz IMO. The ESPN telecast was even better in HD. I had recorded it with my DVR but it was only later when (I purchased a HDTV this past weekendxnodx ) that I could see the broadcast in HD. I wasn't even sure if my DVR would record in HD but it was a pleasant surprise to see that it did. If any of you Griz fans or UMASS fans have not had a chance to see the HD broadcast it really is a must. Unfrigginbelievable!
DEFINITELY! I was able to enjoy all of the ESPN broadcasts on my HDTV. Add on top of that that it was a GREAT game. Good to see FCS getting that exposure.

TheBisonator
May 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I will say though that NDSU has one of the top-5 game atmospheres in the entire Upper Midwest (which includes the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin).

I'd rank the top-10 like this:

1) Wisconsin
2) Iowa
3) Iowa State
4) Minnesota
5) North Dakota State
6) Northern Iowa
7) South Dakota State
8) St. John's (MN)
9) South Dakota
10) North Dakota

ngineer
May 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Actually the visitor's stands extended out of the western endzone and reached to just about the 50--maybe a little shy. Originally, Taylor Stadium was also home to the baseball team, with the diamond at the eastern end. By the 1980's the baseball accourtrements, except the dugouts and the high screen on the old right field fence were removed. A new baseball stadium was constructed over on the developing Goodman Campus.
The farthest reach of the visitor's stands was basically dead center for the old baseball park. Any further extension would have placed the old concrete seats well into right centerfield. The unusual dimensions created some anomalies. The leftfield line was about 500 feet, whereas the right field fence that ran along Packer Avenue was about 270--hence they built a big screen that went up about 40 feet. Deep rightcenter, where the wall met the back of the 'center field seats' was about 440 and then cut back along those visitor stands to dead center that was probably about 380'.
I have a calendar with a lot of old shots of Taylor as a commemorative item that was issued years ago. I also have an 'official brick' together with care instructions sitting on the credenza in my office.;) xreadx

I researched my old pics of Taylor Stadium and, indeed, the visitor stands did reach beyond the 50 to the eastern side 45 yard line.;) The photo also shows the 'preferred parking lot' occupying what had been the infield and right field areas of the old baseball part of the stadium. The old baseball grandstrand was still part of the structure-and actually people sat all the way down there for the Lafayette game. Back then, with additional temporary seats erected in around the perimeter of the field capacity was around 20,000. (I suspect this is more than you ever wanted to know..:D )