PDA

View Full Version : Five Teams That Could Go From Losing Season To FCS Playoffs?

SU DOG
May 29th, 2019, 01:22 PM
Athlon article. Two of these are on the Samford schedule.xcoffeex

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/losing-season-fcs-playoffs-five-candidates-2019

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 29th, 2019, 01:32 PM
If Colgate fails to repeat then a team from the PL will do it. Georgetown, HC, Lehigh and Fordham seem to have reasonable shots imo.

wapiti
May 29th, 2019, 05:43 PM
SUU

DCWIU11
May 29th, 2019, 06:42 PM
I think WIU has a decent chance in having a winning record and making the playoffs this year.

Model Citizen
May 29th, 2019, 07:48 PM
Not named in the article is Jacksonville University, which scored 30 or more points in 5 of its 8 losses last year. They actually have some athletes on defense--no kidding--and they may have been coached up a bit this spring. Will last year's QB return to the defense to help enhance that unit?

The offense adds a QB transfer from Army, who started a game last year, and produced impressive rushing stats and a TD pass. Youtube hounds will enjoy watching the highlights.

I see JU's investment in West Point coaches paying off this season. The Dolphins may or may not impress in early season tests against Richmond and Dartmouth. However, they'll be ready for a jetlagged San Diego team on November 23rd. Check San Diego's defensive stats against option teams Davidson and Jacksonville last fall...not good.

Look for JU to make some auto bid magic in 2019.

Redbird 4th & short
May 29th, 2019, 08:40 PM
Not named in the article is Jacksonville University, which scored 30 or more points in 5 of its 8 losses last year. They actually have some athletes on defense--no kidding--and they may have been coached up a bit this spring. Will last year's QB return to the defense to help enhance that unit?

The offense adds a QB transfer from Army, who started a game last year, and produced impressive rushing stats and a TD pass. Youtube hounds will enjoy watching the highlights.

I see JU's investment in West Point coaches paying off this season. The Dolphins may or may not impress in early season tests against Richmond and Dartmouth. However, they'll be ready for a jetlagged San Diego team on November 23rd. Check San Diego's defensive stats against option teams Davidson and Jacksonville last fall...not good.

Look for JU to make some auto bid magic in 2019.
JU went 2-8 overall and 1-7 in conference finished 9th in PFL, and 1 of your 2 wins was over a 2-7 D-II team; thedefense gave up 38 ppg playing in Pioneer .... what's changed ? How will you pass up 8 other teams for the autobid in one season ?

JSUSoutherner
May 29th, 2019, 09:11 PM
I hope UTC is good next year.

Model Citizen
May 29th, 2019, 09:58 PM
... what's changed ?

Thought I covered that.

But maybe I only implied the most important part...that San Diego has changed. I do not expect them to be as good. I'll go with Army South as the 2019 Pioneer champion.

Paladin1aa
May 30th, 2019, 07:17 AM
Certainly YSU is a big question mark. But don’t kid yourself as the QB Mays is brittle, not much of a passer and is easily defended asa runner. He also will be working behind a poor OL and has concerns with a new RB. On D, they have holes to fill and Bozos overall recruiting has been spotty. With no depth, injuries kill them.

For sure, they have a very weak OOC schedule. The Sanford game is a tossup,but if they win the first 4, the MVFC schedule is brutal early. My view is losses with NDSU,SDSU, UNI, ILSr and ILSb. WIU is a tossup and YSU has a history of losing a MVFC game they should win. Playoffs doubtful.

Smitty
May 30th, 2019, 09:04 AM
WCU could be a candidate for this if they actually put a defense on the field this year.

UNHWildcat18
May 30th, 2019, 08:43 PM
UNH