PDA

View Full Version : 12 FCS vs FBS potential upsets

CenMEBlackBearFan
May 15th, 2019, 02:24 PM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/12-fcs-vs-fbs-group-five-football-matchups-upsets-2019

Nice to see Maine is picked as a potential upset winner over GSU. I see Maine having a good year but have no idea if this is a 10-3 GSU team like last year or a 2-10 team like they were in 2017. Historically we have only beat FBS teams when they have been down.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 15th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Air Force will beat Colgate by 3+ TD's. The Raiders are a fringe Top 25 team at best in 2019. Playing the Falcons in the dry heat at 7k feet is a recipe for a butt kicking.

I think Georgia Southern should beat Maine rather easily too. The Eagles seem headed back in the right direction.

WestCoastAggie
May 15th, 2019, 03:27 PM
All of these games feature G-5 FBS schools. Interesting.

Mike296
May 15th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Nicholls St over Texas State isn’t a bad shout for an upset. Nicholls has played FBS schools tough the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
May 15th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Not mentioned, but we play Colorado State this year. CSU went 3-9 last year including a 16-point loss to Illinois State.
Depending on the direction they're trending, our game with them could be competitive.

BEAR
May 15th, 2019, 05:13 PM
Interesting. Three SLC teams. I want to predict UCA over Hawaii but man I know us getting that paycheck THERE every few years does wonders for recruiting. I don't think invites come with losses. xlolx

TheValleyRaider
May 15th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Air Force will beat Colgate by 3+ TD's. The Raiders are a fringe Top 25 team at best in 2019. Playing the Falcons in the dry heat at 7k feet is a recipe for a butt kicking.

If only we could have faced them last year...

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 15th, 2019, 06:13 PM

Air Force did beat a pretty solid Stony Brook team 38-0 last year. It's just a really tough place to play for a FCS team. Especially one without redshirts and compromised depth thanks to the PL.

Colgate was dealt a thorough but not embarrassing beating in 2013 when they lost 38-13. I think something along those lines will take place this season.

Schism55
May 15th, 2019, 06:36 PM

I think Georgia Southern should beat Maine rather easily too. The Eagles seem headed back in the right direction.
This...and also Air Force is a super disciplined team that runs the **** out of the ball and does not beat themselves. Pretty much the anti recipe for an FCS upset bid.

Sycamore62
May 15th, 2019, 10:19 PM
ISUb plays Kansas. I think that has some potential. They were worried enough they stole our OC

PaladinNation
May 16th, 2019, 07:34 AM
If Furman beats Georgia State is it a big upset? GSU nipped KSU last season 24-20.
I bet half of Furman's roster played high school ball within 50 miles of Atlanta.

Furman should have a huge crowd and a bunch of players excited to be playing in front of family.

OhioHen
May 16th, 2019, 07:40 AM
East Carolina plays two FCS schools (William & Mary and Gardner-Webb) - unless Mike Houston turns them around right away the potential for an "upset" is there.

W&M has been down and G-W isn't exactly a power but ECU has been just plain bad the last several years.

DFW HOYA
May 16th, 2019, 07:43 AM

Then again, Colgate actually gets I-A schools that want to play them.

Derby City Duke
May 16th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Nicholls St over Texas State isn’t a bad shout for an upset. Nicholls has played FBS schools tough the last few years.

The fact that Everett Withers turned TxSt into a complete dumpster fire doesn't hurt the cause either.

Redbird 4th & short
May 16th, 2019, 10:55 AM
East Carolina plays two FCS schools (William & Mary and Gardner-Webb) - unless Mike Houston turns them around right away the potential for an "upset" is there.

W&M has been down and G-W isn't exactly a power but ECU has been just plain bad the last several years.
well, when NC A&T beats them by 4, they feel this puts them in discussion for #1 right along side NDSU .... as everyone knows, 7 FCS Natty's is pretty much the same as win over ECU. :D xdrunkyx

Professor
May 21st, 2019, 12:30 PM
well, when NC A&T beats them by 4, they feel this puts them in discussion for #1 right along side NDSU .... as everyone knows, 7 FCS Natty's is pretty much the same as win over ECU. :D xdrunkyx

Bwhahahaha..... Still upset i see. Hopefully you guys don't go 6-5 again for the 3rd year in a row

Redbird 4th & short
May 21st, 2019, 04:36 PM
Bwhahahaha..... Still upset i see. Hopefully you guys don't go 6-5 again for the 3rd year in a row
Ha !!! You are wrong .... dead wrong !!! We already went 6-5 for 3 years ... so we're working on a fourpeat in 2019 !!!!!

p.s. we did make playoffs in 2016 going 6-5 ... beat a good #35 Northwestern (7-5) team who also won their Bowl game. Made FCS playoff traveling to #10 UCA (9-2) and dominated them for 3 quarters on their field until Q4 debacle ... 2 special teams gaffes to open Q4 and 10 points later, opened flood gates and they won by 7. Ironically, the 2017 and 2018 as 6-5 teams were both better than 2016 team, but inconsistency (esp at QB) plagued us badly the last 2 years.

touche' sometheless !!!!

xdrunkyx

Professor
May 21st, 2019, 04:51 PM
Cheers to another 6-5 year. Come on down to Atlanta in Dec and enjoy the bowl

Redbird 4th & short
May 21st, 2019, 06:09 PM
Cheers to another 6-5 year. Come on down to Atlanta in Dec and enjoy the bowl

xscanx ... looking at our schedule, I am 99.99% certain we will not finish 6-5 this year !!!

In fact, I will give you 1,000 to 1 odds on a $100 bet .. you want in ?

xcoffeex

RootinFerDukes
May 21st, 2019, 06:41 PM

Mike Houston isn’t losing to bottom of the barrel FCS teams. Those are two guaranteed wins.

WestCoastAggie
May 21st, 2019, 07:03 PM
Mike Houston isn’t losing to bottom of the barrel FCS teams. Those are two guaranteed wins.

Don't put it past Mike London and his Go-Go offense in beating ECU.

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2019, 05:19 AM
If Furman beats Georgia State is it a big upset? GSU nipped KSU last season 24-20.
I bet half of Furman's roster played high school ball within 50 miles of Atlanta.

Furman should have a huge crowd and a bunch of players excited to be playing in front of family.

It should be a fun game to watch. Furman doesn't play in the Atlanta metro area often, despite having a big presence there.

GSU draws around 15k a game, though you can probably expect an uptick given that it will be the home opener. I fully expect Furman to have a sizeable presence in the stadium, especially if the university starts making early efforts to drum up interest.

OhioHen
May 22nd, 2019, 06:21 AM

Mike Houston only has one recruiting class of his own at EC-Yew. Most of his team is the same players that have gone 3-9, 3-9, 3-9 against middling schedules the past 3 years. JMU would have gone to bowls all three years against the same schedule.

POD Knows
May 22nd, 2019, 06:54 AM
xscanx ... looking at our schedule, I am 99.99% certain we will not finish 6-5 this year !!!

In fact, I will give you 1,000 to 1 odds on a $100 bet .. you want in ?

xcoffeex
If I take this get and you guys go 5-6 or 7-4 do I win the bet.

Redbird 4th & short
May 22nd, 2019, 09:31 AM
If I take this get and you guys go 5-6 or 7-4 do I win the bet.
I was trying to be clever and sparring with the Professor. I prefaced my bold prediction with a hint ... "looking at our schedule".

We play 12 games this year ... sorry folkss, but it's been a really long offseason for Redbirds xboringx

Redbird 4th & short
May 22nd, 2019, 09:43 AM
Don't put it past Mike London and his Go-Go offense in beating ECU.

I think W&M may surprise some in Colonial this year. They have a new AD, who is cleaning house of a bunch of long tenured people. They just overhauled their strength staff and brought in a guy (Eric Korem) to turn that all around. I happen to know someone who said there is night and day difference in the culture around strength & conditioning ... much more contemporary approach now. Combine that with all new footbal coaching staff. It has to be invigorating as a player and team.

Daytripper
May 22nd, 2019, 10:02 AM
I think Sam has a shot against New Mexico. UNM should just drop to FCS in football. They could compete.

JacksFan40
May 22nd, 2019, 10:15 AM
SDSU plays Minnesota next year, not saying SDSU will win but we consistently play P5 teams close so it’s possible. It’ll depend on if Fleck actually has them trending in the right direction or not.

Panther88
May 22nd, 2019, 01:01 PM
I wish PV had Rice again. :( That was a sour 2 second loss last fall. xsmhx

But, we look across htown to uofh w/ their new staff in Holgorsen and company.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/Dana-Holgorsen-adds-4-assistants-to-UH-staff-13528054.php

PAllen
May 22nd, 2019, 01:13 PM
I was trying to be clever and sparring with the Professor. I prefaced my bold prediction with a hint ... "looking at our schedule".

We play 12 games this year ... sorry folkss, but it's been a really long offseason for Redbirds xboringx

And then that one game was cancelled xeekx

SCPALADIN
May 22nd, 2019, 02:24 PM
It should be a fun game to watch. Furman doesn't play in the Atlanta metro area often, despite having a big presence there.

GSU draws around 15k a game, though you can probably expect an uptick given that it will be the home opener. I fully expect Furman to have a sizeable presence in the stadium, especially if the university starts making early efforts to drum up interest.

I'll be there +4. I just wish they'd hurry up and announce the kickoff time so I can book hotel rooms.

TheKingpin28
May 22nd, 2019, 03:14 PM
SDSU plays Minnesota next year, not saying SDSU will win but we consistently play P5 teams close so it’s possible. It’ll depend on if Fleck actually has them trending in the right direction or not.

As much as I want the Goofers to lose, Fleck had them playing decent ball the last 4 games of the season and Annexstad has almost a full year under his belt. This is that rare time I want SDSU to win, but if the Goofers continue to play the way that they did to end the season, I just don't see it happening.

TribeNomad1
May 22nd, 2019, 04:15 PM
I think W&M may surprise some in Colonial this year. They have a new AD, who is cleaning house of a bunch of long tenured people. They just overhauled their strength staff and brought in a guy (Eric Korem) to turn that all around. I happen to know someone who said there is night and day difference in the culture around strength & conditioning ... much more contemporary approach now. Combine that with all new footbal coaching staff. It has to be invigorating as a player and team.

Jury is still out on the AD. "Cleaning House" perhaps an understatement. Football change looks to have provided some needed energy in that program. Other changes not as well received, will have to see how it plays out.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 24th, 2019, 09:20 AM
One game getting overlooked here is the Citadel at Georgia Tech.

El Cid really seemed to get it together late last season and Tech is going to be in for a world of hurt trying to run Geoff Collins offense with an offensive roster that's not even really a good option roster.

Outsider1
May 24th, 2019, 07:25 PM

+1, Nicholls should handle TX State. I also think SHSU has a shot in NM. I would like to say we have a shot at UNT, but would be surprised if it actually happened.

JacksFan40
May 24th, 2019, 08:03 PM
As much as I want the Goofers to lose, Fleck had them playing decent ball the last 4 games of the season and Annexstad has almost a full year under his belt. This is that rare time I want SDSU to win, but if the Goofers continue to play the way that they did to end the season, I just don't see it happening.
It’s certainly not an idle game to be breaking in a new QB.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 24th, 2019, 08:28 PM

SDSU would have beaten the goophs last year IMO.

This year? I bet it is close. Jacks have most of their defense back and their running game should be tough.

Fleck is a rah/rah yapper. Let's see if he can consistently win in the Big 10.....I'm skeptical.

TheKingpin28
May 24th, 2019, 09:46 PM

This year? I bet it is close. Jacks have most of their defense back and their running game should be tough.

Fleck is a rah/rah yapper. Let's see if he can consistently win in the Big 10.....I'm skeptical.Last year I would have given the edge to SDSU with the team they had (2nd or 3rd best in the FCS) but losing TC is yuge and to break in a new QB. I expect it to be a good game but I would not put money, with confidence, on SDSU winning.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
May 25th, 2019, 09:26 AM

Fleck is a rah/rah yapper. Let's see if he can consistently win in the Big 10.....I'm skeptical.
agreed ... he does lay it on a little thick .. I'm guessing some kids buy into it, some probably roll their eyes. he had WMU moving up, but that was mid major middling program with kids trying to prove they can hang with big boys. Being P5 HC now, it might not go over as well or translate to winning as much. But football is very unforgiving sport .. you figure out how to consistently compete or you get exposed .. players and coaches. Maybe Fleck evolves at P5 level .. a few more eye rolls (and losses) than he is used to, and maybe he figures it out.

edit: but then he does stuff like this

https://thespun.com/big-ten/minnesota/big-ten-head-coach-called-out-for-comment-about-recruiting

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 25th, 2019, 02:30 PM
Last year I would have given the edge to SDSU with the team they had (2nd or 3rd best in the FCS) but losing TC is yuge and to break in a new QB. I expect it to be a good game but I would not put money, with confidence, on SDSU winning.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

TC would have passed all over the goophs defense last year. UM gave up 224 passing yards/game in 18 and the defense was ranked 63rd. Rushing defense gave up 171/game.

SDSU will be an underdog this year but their running game should be really good out of the gate. Defense should be better with a ton coming back. I'm rooting for SDSU all the way in that game. In fact, I think they win it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 25th, 2019, 02:35 PM
agreed ... he does lay it on a little thick .. I'm guessing some kids buy into it, some probably roll their eyes. he had WMU moving up, but that was mid major middling program with kids trying to prove they can hang with big boys. Being P5 HC now, it might not go over as well or translate to winning as much. But football is very unforgiving sport .. you figure out how to consistently compete or you get exposed .. players and coaches. Maybe Fleck evolves at P5 level .. a few more eye rolls (and losses) than he is used to, and maybe he figures it out.

edit: but then he does stuff like this

https://thespun.com/big-ten/minnesota/big-ten-head-coach-called-out-for-comment-about-recruiting

I don't even listen to him and his speeches. Cannot stand his persona.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 14th, 2019, 04:30 PM

El Cid really seemed to get it together late last season and Tech is going to be in for a world of hurt trying to run Geoff Collins offense with an offensive roster that's not even really a good option roster.

xnodx :D

ElCid
September 14th, 2019, 04:32 PM

You da man xthumbsupxxthumbsupx:Dxnodxxnodxxbowxxbowx