PDA

View Full Version : Athlon's Top 10 FCS QBs For 2019

SU DOG
May 14th, 2019, 10:16 AM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-football-top-10-quarterbacks-watch-2019#11

Smitty
May 14th, 2019, 10:24 AM
What a terrible article... Let me save you the click...

10. Noah Johnson, Alcorn State
9. Ryan Boyle, Indiana State
8. Chase Fourcade, Nicholls
7. Caylin Newton, Howard
6. Case Cookus, Northern Arizona
5. Eric Barriere, Eastern Washington
4. Zerrick Cooper, Jacksonville State
3. Tyrie Adams, Western Carolina
2. Tom Flacco, Towson
1. Jake Maier, UC Davis

hoidOfYolen
May 14th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Caylin Newton is too highly rated, IMO. Barriere should be above Cooper, whose numbers are inflated by a stellar receiving corps. I will admit that I haven't even heard of Tyrie Adams, but I look forward to keeping an eye on him. Top 2 are spot on, IMO. I look forward to seeing Davis Cheek on these lists later this year when he comes back from injury. He could give Tom Flacco a run for his money on best QB in the CAA. Last season looked so promising before he got hurt :(

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 14th, 2019, 10:45 AM
Bit surprised Colgate's Grant Breneman didn't make the list. He battled some injuries at the end of last year but when healthy he's definitely one of the Top QB's in FCS imo.

BEAR
May 14th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Nice list. I like Nicholls QB Fourcade. Thought he would be higher.

UCA's QB that suffered a broken leg in game 4 will hopefully be on that list next year.

Breylin Smith
QB
6'3" 210

4 games:
112 attempted passes
77 completions
70% completion rate
1 INT
1087 yards
Av. YPG- 262

SpreadTheWord
May 14th, 2019, 03:07 PM
Of course, I'm a little biased but if UIW's Jon Copeland can make a full recovery from his torn ACL before the season starts, I wouldn't be surprised to see him crack that top 10 list next season as well. Damn, I'm so ready for the season to start!

BEAR
May 14th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Of course, I'm a little biased but if UIW's Jon Copeland can make a full recovery from his torn ACL before the season starts, I wouldn't be surprised to see him crack that top 10 list next season as well. Damn, I'm so ready for the season to start!

Aren't we all! xbowx

Redbird 4th & short
May 14th, 2019, 06:06 PM
What a terrible article... Let me save you the click...

Seems like a so so year for FCS QBs. Top 6 make a lot of obvious sense escept I don't get Adams at 3. Cooper and Cookus sure look the part. Very curious to see if Barriiere continues to develop and Cookus bounces back from injury. Then 7 thru 10 aren't going to cause too many DCs to lose any sleep .. Newton has no business being on list (51%, 22/17 TD/Pick ratio)... weak stats in bad conference.

ISUb Boyle is tough ... reminded me of the the Chandler Burkes guy from KSU ... good game manager, good dual threat, but better runner than thrower. I would have taken Boyle over Burkes ... someone was way over-hyping Burkes big time last year. We pretty much contained Boyle when we played them .. but we still managed to lose game on road where we outgained them 480 to 280 .. this probably cost us playoff bid.

ISUr Davis could crack this top 10 easily this year, but I don't see him in top 5 or 6 at this point .. but we shall see .. he's got some proving to do.

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Seems like a so so year for FCS QBs. Top 6 make a lot of obvious sense escept I don't get Adams at 3. Cooper and Cookus sure look the part. Very curious to see if Barriiere continues to develop and Cookus bounces back from injury. Then 7 thru 10 aren't going to cause too many DCs to lose any sleep .. Newton has no business being on list (51%, 22/17 TD/Pick ratio)... weak stats in bad conference.

ISUb Boyle is tough ... reminded me of the the Chandler Burkes guy from KSU ... good game manager, good dual threat, but better runner than thrower. I would have taken Boyle over Burkes ... someone was way over-hyping Burkes big time last year. We pretty much contained Boyle when we played them .. but we still managed to lose game on road where we outgained them 480 to 280 .. this probably cost us playoff bid.

ISUr Davis could crack this top 10 easily this year, but I don't see him in top 5 or 6 at this point .. but we shall see .. he's got some proving to do.

My opinion on Adams - the dude is a freak.

Averaged 311 yards per game last year. Threw for nearly 2,500 yards and rushed for over 1,000. He led the SoCon in rushing as a daggum QB - in a league that was stocked with good running teams. The only player that outpaced Adams in terms of total offense in the SoCon was Devlin Hodges, who won the Payton Award. I'm not sure how many QBs nationally were putting up those sorts of numbers last season, but I bet it wasn't many.

Adams' biggest negative is he plays on a crappy team. WCU plays virtually zero defense (surrendering nearly 41 ppg) and his offensive line is one of the league's weaker units. He is basically a one-man show out there.

Personally, I think that if WCU could ever get that man some help and not ask him to win every game by his lonesome, he'd be a Payton Finalist. There's not a throw he can't make.

This doesn't even include his junior season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXFE1N4o6E

Redbird 4th & short
May 15th, 2019, 12:08 PM

Averaged 311 yards per game last year. Threw for nearly 2,500 yards and rushed for over 1,000. He led the SoCon in rushing as a daggum QB - in a league that was stocked with good running teams. The only player that outpaced Adams in terms of total offense in the SoCon was Devlin Hodges, who won the Payton Award. I'm not sure how many QBs nationally were putting up those sorts of numbers last season, but I bet it wasn't many.

Adams' biggest negative is he plays on a crappy team. WCU plays virtually zero defense (surrendering nearly 41 ppg) and his offensive line is one of the league's weaker units. He is basically a one-man show out there.

Personally, I think that if WCU could ever get that man some help and not ask him to win every game by his lonesome, he'd be a Payton Finalist. There's not a throw he can't make.

This doesn't even include his junior season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXFE1N4o6E

thanks for insights .. I'll watch him closer this year.

PaladinFan
May 16th, 2019, 04:51 AM
thanks for insights .. I'll watch him closer this year.

Looked at the total FCS stats - Tyrie Adams finished 8th nationally in total offense last season. He'll be one of the top 5 returning players in the country in that category this season.

smallcollegefbfan
May 17th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Bit surprised Colgate's Grant Breneman didn't make the list. He battled some injuries at the end of last year but when healthy he's definitely one of the Top QB's in FCS imo.

He and Cheek both were on the next 10

Luke Anthony, Abilene Christian, Jr.
Grant Breneman, Colgate, Jr.
Davis Cheek, Elon, Jr.
Chris Ferguson, Maine, Jr.
Jacob Knipp, Northern Colorado, Sr.
Jeremiah Oatsvall, Austin Peay, Jr.
Daniel Santacaterina, Southeast Missouri, Sr.
Austin Simmons, South Dakota, Sr.
Daniel Smith, Campbell, Jr.
Dalton Sneed, Montana, Sr.
Ryan Stanley, Florida A&M, Sr.
Kevin Thomson, Sacramento State, Sr.

Reign of Terrier
May 17th, 2019, 02:01 PM
my opinion is yes this is a list of 10 FCS QB's and yes they are very good, but don't ask me to evaluate the quality of this list.

FCS teams play in more diverse systems (IMO) than their FBS counterparts and play against teams of various quality (again IMO) compared to FBS teams, so rank ordering anything is hard.

My takes are getting hotter in that I think all ranking are kind of bull**** at this level, just because they prove less and less reliable outside of ranking the top 5 teams or so, and the same can be said of the QBs.

Daytripper
May 20th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Nice list. I like Nicholls QB Fourcade. Thought he would be higher.

UCA's QB that suffered a broken leg in game 4 will hopefully be on that list next year.

Breylin Smith
QB
6'3" 210

4 games:
112 attempted passes
77 completions
70% completion rate
1 INT
1087 yards
Av. YPG- 262

Smith is a stud.

BEAR
May 20th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Smith is a stud.

I like many of the QBs in the SLC this year. As much as I want to win the SLC, as most of us do, I just know there are more talented teams than in years past. QBs are really going to play a huge role this year. If QBs like Smith, Fourcade, Eppler, Virgil, Anthony, Brock etc.. are coming back...then man...it's going to be exciting to watch every game because no team will be out of it until the clock hits 00:00.

By the way congrats on the SLC Baseball title. All we had to do was beat the last place team. Yep. Lost by ONE run in 10 innings in a walk off for them. That's how it goes I guess. xlolx

katss07
May 20th, 2019, 05:39 PM
Smith is a stud.
UCA probably wins the Sam game if Smith doesn’t go done. No, they DO win that game if he doesn’t go down. And I like their chances at winning the SLC had they gotten past the Kats.

New year, we’ll see if its the same guy we saw in the first few games. Hope the injury didn’t affect him much. Leg injuries can cause reoccurring issues, especially at quarterback.

Copeland and Anthony are definitely worthy of an HM.

caribbeanhen
May 20th, 2019, 08:48 PM
Smith is a stud.

what was his injury?

BEAR
May 21st, 2019, 07:21 AM
what was his injury?

In the 4th game against SHSU toward the end of the game Breylin suffered a broken leg. His backup came in and moments later suffered a torn shoulder muscle. The season was essentially over after that. Our third string QB had a couple of good games, like SHSUs if I recall, but it was a lot to throw on a kid like that.

Sycamore62
May 21st, 2019, 08:24 AM

Him transferring in won us 4-6 games. He is a solid QB for us but every time he picks up a first down and tries to get 8 more yards I get sick to my stomach nervous.

Professor
May 21st, 2019, 12:22 PM
Caylin Newton is too highly rated, IMO. Barriere should be above Cooper, whose numbers are inflated by a stellar receiving corps. I will admit that I haven't even heard of Tyrie Adams, but I look forward to keeping an eye on him. Top 2 are spot on, IMO. I look forward to seeing Davis Cheek on these lists later this year when he comes back from injury. He could give Tom Flacco a run for his money on best QB in the CAA. Last season looked so promising before he got hurt :(

So who is your top 10?

caribbeanhen
May 21st, 2019, 03:01 PM
In the 4th game against SHSU toward the end of the game Breylin suffered a broken leg. His backup came in and moments later suffered a torn shoulder muscle. The season was essentially over after that. Our third string QB had a couple of good games, like SHSUs if I recall, but it was a lot to throw on a kid like that.

thank you Bear, I remember most of that now....

Catatonic
May 21st, 2019, 08:44 PM

if he makes a full recovery I agree. An excellent QB in a system designed to showcase his skills.

Catatonic
May 21st, 2019, 08:50 PM
UCA probably wins the Sam game if Smith doesn’t go done. No, they DO win that game if he doesn’t go down. And I like their chances at winning the SLC had they gotten past the Kats.

New year, we’ll see if its the same guy we saw in the first few games. Hope the injury didn’t affect him much. Leg injuries can cause reoccurring issues, especially at quarterback.

Copeland and Anthony are definitely worthy of an HM.

Anthony does not have the physical tools that some of the more elite QB’s possess but he has a very high football IQ. He’s perfect for the system Dorrel wants to run.

hoidOfYolen
May 22nd, 2019, 12:29 PM
So who is your top 10?

1. Jake Maier, UC Davis
2. Tom Flacco, Towson
3. Eric Barriere, EWU
4. Tyrie Adams, Western Carolina
5. Zerrick Cooper, JSU
6. Davis Cheek, Elon
7. Chase Fourcade, Nicholls
8. Case Cookus, Northern Arizona
9. Dalton Sneed, Montana
10. Caylin Newton, Howard

FUBeAR
May 22nd, 2019, 01:05 PM
1. Jake Maier, UC Davis
2. Tom Flacco, Towson
3. Eric Barriere, EWU
5. Zerrick Cooper, JSU
6. Davis Cheek, Elon
9. Dalton Sneed, Montana

I haven't even heard of Tyrie AdamsUnheard of...to #4 in FCS in only 19 posts.

Impressive?

hoidOfYolen
May 22nd, 2019, 01:15 PM
Unheard of...to #4 in FCS in only 19 posts.

Impressive?

Doesn't take much to do some research. Look at his stats, watch him play on youtube, and look at his team's dependence on him, and you've got a good idea of his skill.

Redbird 4th & short
May 23rd, 2019, 08:04 AM
1. Jake Maier, UC Davis
2. Tom Flacco, Towson
3. Eric Barriere, EWU
5. Zerrick Cooper, JSU
6. Davis Cheek, Elon
9. Dalton Sneed, Montana

pretty good list ... but I still don't get Newton being on any top 10 list .. weak stats in weak conference ... family legacy vote ?

If Cookus stays healthy, he could easily move up by end of 2019. Gpinf to watch Adams .. other poster raised good points about their offense's dependence on him, not to mention their defense can't get off the field.

Bisonator
May 23rd, 2019, 09:03 AM
Looking forward to seeing Jake Maier in person this fall.

JSUSoutherner
May 23rd, 2019, 08:36 PM
As to the Tyrie Adams debate, I saw him play last year. I honestly don't remember who western was playing but I tuned in to see what all the hype with Adams was about. He was impressive, definitely worthy of a spot in the top 10, but he wasn't exactly carrying Western. You could tell the lack of help was a major issue. Kid's good. But I'm not convinced he's as good as Barriere. I think he should be under Cookus.

WestCoastAggie
May 23rd, 2019, 08:50 PM
pretty good list ... but I still don't get Newton being on any top 10 list .. weak stats in weak conference ... family legacy vote ?

If Cookus stays healthy, he could easily move up by end of 2019. Gpinf to watch Adams .. other poster raised good points about their offense's dependence on him, not to mention their defense can't get off the field.

17 TD's, 17 Ints. Damn.

Redbird 4th & short
May 23rd, 2019, 09:36 PM
17 TD's, 17 Ints. Damn.

According to Howard site, I see 22 TDs and 17 picks, with 51% completion rate and 132% QBR. His yards per catch is pretty good, but hard to move chains with 50% completion rate. Running wise, he's solid but ordinary as dual threats go with 500 yards and 3.2 ypc.

gofurman
June 2nd, 2019, 10:54 PM

this is spot on. You don't hear about the kid because his team stinks. He almost single-handedly beat my Furman guys. We won like 45-40. He's a ridiculous athlete who might make NFL at some position. he absolutely belongs on top 10 list. without him WCU isn't in a game

SCPALADIN
June 3rd, 2019, 01:18 PM
this is spot on. You don't hear about the kid because his team stinks. He almost single-handedly beat my Furman guys. We won like 45-40. He's a ridiculous athlete who might make NFL at some position. he absolutely belongs on top 10 list. without him WCU isn't in a game

Armanti Edwards without the supporting cast.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2019, 03:59 AM
Armanti Edwards without the supporting cast.

Edwards was faster and a more physical runner, but similar arm strength and agility.

Silenoz
June 6th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Sneed would be amazing if he had anything resembling an O-line...or running game... or anything at all really.

Oh well, as long as some of the teams we play are stupid enough to fall for this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wqLVqLJbGU