PDA

View Full Version : MAAC football demise

Salty Dog
April 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
The rumor is that the MAAC football will close down after this next season. It is a shame that so many fine schools in the MAAC dropped their football programs. It was once a strong mid-major football non-scholarship conference. Duquesne has already committed to NEC next year. I understand that LaSalle and Marist are also looking at the NEC. Iona and St. Peter's are talking to the Pioneer Football League, a non-scholarship conference. I hope these schools keep their football programs. I would like to see strong non-scholarship conferences in the east coast, the mid-west and the west coast. I think it is the only way football will survive in these small mid-major schools with the equality required in the boys and girls team scholarships. Most schools miss football after they drop it.

Seawolf97
April 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I kind of thought this would happen. I can see Marist in the NEC with La Salle. Iona and St Peters in the Pioneer really stretches that conference out geographically. New Rochelle NY to Jacksonville to San Diego with stops in between talk about footprints.

GaSouthern
April 24th, 2007, 06:57 PM
that beats the new Big South's footprint by a long shot, How do these schools manage to fund all the travel?

Seawolf97
April 24th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Thats a good question . Moving 70 people around the country 5 or 6 times in 3 months adds up quickly. I couldnt even imagine bus trips. New York to Jacksonville is a 1000 miles- same probably to out to Drake. Then 3000 to Southern Ca.

DFW HOYA
April 24th, 2007, 07:14 PM
The rumor is that the MAAC football will close down after this next season. It is a shame that so many fine schools in the MAAC dropped their football programs. It was once a strong mid-major football non-scholarship conference.

The MAAC's wounds are self-inflicted.

At one time it was the model for the cost-containment conferences, and even had a 1994 game broadcast in prime time on ESPN2 (Iona-Duquesne). Instead of embracing growth, the MAAC actively sought not to, going so far as to place two of its own schools on probation a for offering need based aid outside the league's narrow definitions.

St. John's was the first to leave, joining the NEC. The problem was, St. John's wasn't ready for the commitment, fared poorly, then limped back to the MAAC before dropping the sport. St. John's could have been today's Stony Brook but never recovered.

Fairfield didn't leave soon enough. The Stags were an up and coming program and the kind of academic-athletic mix which would have been a good fit in the Patriot League. When university finances got in the way, football fell victim, and Fairfield isn't getting any offers these days.

Siena and Canisius never evolved beyond their Division III days. They sold dropping football as the ticket to elevate their other programs, which never happened. (And, of course, it never does.)

The MAAC has a slim hope of survival if a school like NJIT (New Jersey Tech) or an aspiring D-II school (Bentley, Bryant, Assumption) makes a move to Div. I, or if George Mason ever wanted to grow beyond club status and use the MAAC as a dress rehearsal for a jump up to the CAA.

Had the MAAC been more proactive in bringing football back and serve as an incubator to schools which once played the sport (including Manhattan, Niagara, and Rider), todayt's MAAC would have been a steady conference made up of like minded schools. Instead, it'll be a long season for these schools and for the league.

Seawolf97
April 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
It is too bad . Stonybrook used to play St Johns back in the D 3 days they were pretty good. Travel expenses may end it for Iona and St Peters if they try the Pioneer route.

Model Citizen
April 24th, 2007, 07:25 PM
The rumor is that the MAAC football will close down after this next season.

Same story we've heard for the last five years, at least.

Model Citizen
April 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Travel expenses may end it for Iona and St Peters if they try the Pioneer route.

What makes you think they would be welcome in the Pioneer?

aceinthehole
April 24th, 2007, 08:24 PM
The MAAC's wounds are self-inflicted.

At one time it was the model for the cost-containment conferences, and even had a 1994 game broadcast in prime time on ESPN2 (Iona-Duquesne). Instead of embracing growth, the MAAC actively sought not to, going so far as to place two of its own schools on probation a for offering need based aid outside the league's narrow definitions.

St. John's was the first to leave, joining the NEC. The problem was, St. John's wasn't ready for the commitment, fared poorly, then limped back to the MAAC before dropping the sport. St. John's could have been today's Stony Brook but never recovered.

Fairfield didn't leave soon enough. The Stags were an up and coming program and the kind of academic-athletic mix which would have been a good fit in the Patriot League. When university finances got in the way, football fell victim, and Fairfield isn't getting any offers these days.

Siena and Canisius never evolved beyond their Division III days. They sold dropping football as the ticket to elevate their other programs, which never happened. (And, of course, it never does.)

The MAAC has a slim hope of survival if a school like NJIT (New Jersey Tech) or an aspiring D-II school (Bentley, Bryant, Assumption) makes a move to Div. I, or if George Mason ever wanted to grow beyond club status and use the MAAC as a dress rehearsal for a jump up to the CAA.

Had the MAAC been more proactive in bringing football back and serve as an incubator to schools which once played the sport (including Manhattan, Niagara, and Rider), todayt's MAAC would have been a steady conference made up of like minded schools. Instead, it'll be a long season for these schools and for the league.

Great summary!

Seems like the NEC has evolved into what the MAAC coud have been.

Seawolf97
April 24th, 2007, 08:29 PM
It was great summary now to find a home for NJIT if they take up D-1 football.

aceinthehole
April 24th, 2007, 08:32 PM
It was great summary now to find a home for NJIT if they take up D-1 football.

I think you may see NJIT in the NEC sometime in the next few years, but I really doubt they will start a football team.

Fresno St. Alum
April 24th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I thought La Salle going to the NEC was a mistake in the newspaper, the paper ment to say Duquesne. There was a whole thead about it. Collegesportsinfo still has it on his board. Do any of you guys have any links to backup any of this stuff.

Stuff: NJIT w/FB, Bentley, Bryant to D-I, LaSalle & Marist to the NEC for FB, St.Peter's, Iona to PFL?

appfan2008
April 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
so are these just rumors or is it really going down???

DetroitFlyer
April 25th, 2007, 07:30 AM
rumors! I cannot imagine the MAAC folding before Patty V's summit this summer. Campbell has yet to be invited to join the PFL, and as we have heard, a number of schools currently not playing football or playing football at different levels might be attending. As for travel expense, you have to remember that the majority of these schools are private. Dayton's list price for next year is right about $33K and we are considered to be a reasonably priced, private school.... I have been told that the expenses for a plane trip for the football team are less than the cost of two scholarships. So, put in perspective, even if you had to make 6 plane trips per year, it would be the equivalent of only 12 scholarships.... Certainly something that virtually any school could handle, even Saint Peters. The big unknown in this entire equation is what would spark schools with "interest" into "action"? I think that unless a system is worked out for a non-scholarship team to obtain an automatic bid to the playoffs, the "interest" will remain just that, "interest". Winning conference championships does not provide much incentive when that is the end goal. Playing in a 100% meaningless "bowl" game at the end of the season also does not provide any strong incentive. I have no idea what Patty V. is going to try and sell at her summit, but I seriously doubt that anyone will be buying if she is still on the misguided course of trying to force the NCAA to create a unique level of FCS football, with it's own playoff system. At best, there might be a couple of schools so desperate to play FCS football that will buy Patty's nonsense and give it a try. That might buy the MACC a few more years, but if nothing changes it is a short term solution that will ultimately fail! Losing money, poor attendance, and no playoffs, ever, is simply not a winning combination.

JMG1MON
April 25th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Dayton's list price for next year is right about $33K and we are considered to be a reasonably priced, private school.... I have been told that the expenses for a plane trip for the football team are less than the cost of two scholarships. So, put in perspective, even if you had to make 6 plane trips per year, it would be the equivalent of only 12 scholarships.... Certainly something that virtually any school could handle, even Saint Peters.

That cost doesn't sound correct. When we went to Jacksonville in 2000, it cost the school approximately $1,000/person for the 3 days we were down there. Our travelling party was about 75 or so. That is 75k per trip. Thats about 450k a year for travel expenses. I don't know what other schools travel with, but I'm sure it is in that general ballpark!

DetroitFlyer
April 25th, 2007, 08:07 AM
$33K X 2 = $66K versus $75K.... Maybe you guys stay in nicer hotels. $450K per year for travel would amount to 14 scholarships at UD. Still a BUNCH cheaper than the 30 schollies the NEC offers or the 63 that many FCS teams offer....

Cobblestone
April 25th, 2007, 08:13 AM
The rumor is that the MAAC football will close down after this next season. It is a shame that so many fine schools in the MAAC dropped their football programs. It was once a strong mid-major football non-scholarship conference. Duquesne has already committed to NEC next year. I understand that LaSalle and Marist are also looking at the NEC. Iona and St. Peter's are talking to the Pioneer Football League, a non-scholarship conference. I hope these schools keep their football programs. I would like to see strong non-scholarship conferences in the east coast, the mid-west and the west coast. I think it is the only way football will survive in these small mid-major schools with the equality required in the boys and girls team scholarships. Most schools miss football after they drop it.

I agree 100%, it's never a good day when a school drops football. :(

Cobblestone
April 25th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I thought La Salle going to the NEC was a mistake in the newspaper, the paper ment to say Duquesne. There was a whole thead about it. Collegesportsinfo still has it on his board. Do any of you guys have any links to backup any of this stuff.

Stuff: NJIT w/FB, Bentley, Bryant to D-I, LaSalle & Marist to the NEC for FB, St.Peter's, Iona to PFL?

I don't have a link but I do know a sports writer who covers Bryant football. As of now there are no immediate plans for this as they are happy and doing well in D-II. However, if they choose to make the move it won't be a problem. They have a stadium that they can easily add on to and plenty of land to do so. Also, Bryant served as the Patriots training camp home for years so the facilities are first rate. Attendance wise they are drawing better than we are (not too hard to do) and they have a college President who likes to think big. The program is roughly 10 years old so give them a few more years of success at the D-II level and we might be welcoming a new member to the FCS.

89Hen
April 25th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Campbell has yet to be invited to join the PFL
I don't think Campbell would stay non-schollie for long anyway, so I think that's a moot point. xtwocentsx When they announced they would be starting football and had a lot in common with some of the PFL teams they also said they'd like to play local schools like Coastal, Chuck Southern and Wofford.

UAalum72
April 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM
$33K X 2 = $66K versus $75K.... Maybe you guys stay in nicer hotels. $450K per year for travel would amount to 14 scholarships at UD. Still a BUNCH cheaper than the 30 schollies the NEC offers or the 63 that many FCS teams offer....
But even $350K for travel would about double the current football budget at St. Peter's, and these aren't money games they'd be travelling to.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 25th, 2007, 09:11 AM
If I were the MAAC commissioner, I'd be heavily recruiting NJIT and maybe some of the smaller NEC schools (like SFPA) to join up. NJIT would seem to be a really logical place for non-scholly football. In the fall of '06 the student body (http://studentsenate.njit.edu/Feedback/Fall06/sophmorejunior.pdf) said that 22% of them wanted a football team first and foremost.

The MAAC has suffered from a lack of will and creativity in keeping football alive. Hard to say if it's a lack of will or a concerted effort, but it's the sad reality. Unless that changes in a big way, the MAAC will perish.

JMG1MON
April 25th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I will say, it was a very nice hotel!!

danefan
April 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Maybe the MAAC can survive. See the other thread about the NEC going to 45 rides. How about Wagner, St. Francis and Sacred Heart going to the MAAC instead of upgrading to 45 rides?

Polywog
April 25th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I kind of thought this would happen. I can see Marist in the NEC with La Salle. Iona and St Peters in the Pioneer really stretches that conference out geographically. New Rochelle NY to Jacksonville to San Diego with stops in between talk about footprints.

That footprint would be much more manageable if San Diego added scholarships and joined the Great West instead.

Fresno St. Alum
April 25th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I don't have a link but I do know a sports writer who covers Bryant football. As of now there are no immediate plans for this as they are happy and doing well in D-II. However, if they choose to make the move it won't be a problem. They have a stadium that they can easily add on to and plenty of land to do so. Also, Bryant served as the Patriots training camp home for years so the facilities are first rate. Attendance wise they are drawing better than we are (not too hard to do) and they have a college President who likes to think big. The program is roughly 10 years old so give them a few more years of success at the D-II level and we might be welcoming a new member to the FCS.
Are on the D-II board too. I remember a thread about Byrant. THen in D-II fashion they said who ever started didn't know what they were talking about and it ain't happening.