PDA

View Full Version : Where could NJIT fit?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM
NJIT made some noise not all that long ago about starting up football. Currently in Division I without a conference affiliation, where could they go? Would the NEC, or maybe even the MAAC, be the best fit? I know a while ago there was speculation that they could maybe even join the Patriot League, but (according to fans) academically they're not it the right ballpark.

Thoughts? There is zero doubt that NJIT wants to go somewhere.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Doubtful because of title IX.

Any school that ends in "Tech" probably has at least twice as many guys as girls.

Fresno St. Alum
April 24th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Well, they should be in the NEC with or without football to put that conference at 12. If they can't afford schollys because of titleIX then put them in the MAAC for football, NEC for all others

rmutv
April 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Don't judge a school on its name...

If NJIT is willing to play with at least partial scholarships, then the NEC will be willing to accept them.

If not, they'll be joining the MAAC, as they do not fit in geographically with the Pioneer League.

Seawolf97
April 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
If they go into the NEC that conference would be growing. Another thread has the MAAC ending football at the end of 2007. Marist and La Salle may join the NEC after that.
We played NJIT in basketball in December really small gym in the heart of Newark NJ.

rmutv
April 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM
With Duquesne, Marist, LaSalle, and NJIT and maybe Iona, the NEC would officially be at 12 teams.

Two six team divisions, playing five in your division and three rotating out of division teams.

Possible alignment:

North Division - Iona, Albany, Sacred Heart, CCSU, Wagner, Marist
South Division - Robert Morris, Duquesne, St. Francis (PA), Monmouth, LaSalle, NJIT

Seawolf97
April 24th, 2007, 07:39 PM
looks pretty good

rokamortis
April 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Isn't it obvious? the Big South baby :)

DFW HOYA
April 24th, 2007, 07:43 PM
NJIT would best fit in the MAAC. Instant rival for St. Peter's.

As to Title IX, NJIT is 80% male but its athletic teams are roughly 53/47% (9 male sports, 8 female). Looks like another male sport wouldn't impact proportionality.

Seawolf97
April 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM
That would be two footprints north of the Delaware Memorial Bridge!

LUHawker
April 24th, 2007, 08:04 PM
NJIT made some noise not all that long ago about starting up football. Currently in Division I without a conference affiliation, where could they go? Would the NEC, or maybe even the MAAC, be the best fit? I know a while ago there was speculation that they could maybe even join the Patriot League, but (according to fans) academically they're not it the right ballpark.

I don't know where the would fit, but I do know where they would NOT fit - the Patriot League!

How come I always feel like you're trying to fit square pegs into round holes. I think most of us PL fans would like to see the league expand, but only with suitable candidates(read: academically, philosophically and athletically compatible). NJIT doesn't fit any of those. Nor does Marist or Duquense, two schools you've promoted in the past. The PL needs to sit tight for the time being, but be preparing for any shake-outs in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic over the next couple-three years.

DFW HOYA
April 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I don't know where the would fit, but I do know where they would NOT fit - the Patriot League!

I'll save this for another thread, but it seems like no one fits in the Patriot League anymore, and yet it still needs an 8th team. The Virginia schools aren't coming back, anyway.

It's become the bellwether for the status quo, and as long as Lehigh and Lafayette are the only teams that seem to matter for the league, it's not going to change.

LUHawker
April 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I'll save this for another thread, but it seems like no one fits in the Patriot League anymore, and yet it still needs an 8th team. The Virginia schools aren't coming back, anyway.

It's become the bellwether for the status quo, and as long as Lehigh and Lafayette are the only teams that seem to matter for the league, it's not going to change.

I think you're correct that the VA schools aren't coming to the PL, and Villanova is probably out as well even if they are less than enthused about the future of CAA and/or America East football. I can't tell you which schools are great candidates, but I'd rather not change than force a bad decision. See Towson and American for prime examples. Army is the best fit of all, but I think there is little, if any chance of that happening. On a totally unrealistic note, perhaps, Penn drops out of the Ivy League so they can participate in the the playoffs - not!

Seawolf97
April 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Their is thread out their that is saying the MAAC may go away as far as football is concerned. Maybe NJIT would be a good fit in the NEC -let them get up to a 30 scholarship level . There are alot good teams in the NEC for them to get their feet wet in D 1 football. Also if no St Peters rivalry Wagner is only about 10 miles from Newark. Plus in other sports their are alot of NEC schools nearby Fairleigh Dickison, St Francis ( Brooklyn) and LIU -plus Wagner.

DFW HOYA
April 24th, 2007, 08:27 PM
My nomination for PL expansion target #1:

1. An all-sports candidate.
2. A small, liberal arts based school.
3. A longstanding football tradition.
4. A strong endowment (~$300M).
5. A natural rival with the academies.

VMI.

aceinthehole
April 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I've read nothing from the NJIT administration about football. I think this is just wild speculation from some posters. They (NJIT) are more concerned about an AQ for basketbal and other sports; FB is not on their radar now or in the immediate future.

NJIT will basically have no choice but to join the NEC, if and when they extend an offer. They fit the geography perfect (Monmouth, FDU, Wagner etc), and as a new D-I program will follow in the footsteps of past NEC expansion - Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart. No other conference is taking a hoops team with a 250+ RPI and a gym that seats less than 2k. Period, end of story.

LUHawker
April 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM
My nomination for PL expansion target #1:

1. An all-sports candidate.
2. A small, liberal arts based school.
3. A longstanding football tradition.
4. A strong endowment (~$300M).
5. A natural rival with the academies.

VMI.

Not what would come first to mind for me, but I'd like to learn more. Lehigh host VMI this year.

downbythebeach
April 24th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I hope the NEC does not take them if the gym is as bad as you say so. Have you ever seen SFC NY gym. Its like five rows....and they are not even filled up. I think they have the lowest attendance in D1.

DFW HOYA
April 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I hope the NEC does not take them if the gym is as bad as you say so. Have you ever seen SFC NY gym. Its like five rows....and they are not even filled up. I think they have the lowest attendance in D1.

You're not kidding. Check the arena photo.

http://athletics.stfranciscollege.edu/Sports/general/2006/facilities.asp

danefan
April 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Ewww...that's horrible.

aceinthehole
April 24th, 2007, 10:15 PM

That's the reality of the NEC. I like the conference, it has its own quirks, but the fact is its generally small, private schools in the NYC area.

SFNY has a one building campus blocks from the Brooklyn Bridge. It is what it is. They do have a history - at one pont they were a top basketball team and reached the NIT Final Four back in the 1950's when the NIT really mattered!

They have a tiny enrollment, budget, and exposure. Its not much different than SFPA or Mt. St. Mary's. Personally, I hope to see CCSU move to the AE, and that would certainly open a spot for NJIT to get their feet wet in D-I in the NEC. Its a stepping stone (look at former members Siena, Marist, UMBC, etc.)

Fresno St. Alum
April 24th, 2007, 10:24 PM
There is already a spot for NJ Tech in the NEC they have 11. I do think that CCSU should move to the AEC I wonder why they haven't been offered a spot yet.

About the MAAC FB merging with the NEC. Is that possible since the 4 MAAC schools don't have schollys? I have also heard that the NEC wants to move up to 45 schollys soon which would make the gap bigger between them and the MAAC schools.

Fresno St. Alum
April 24th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Is VMI and Marist really on the Patriot League all sports raydar?

RabidRabbit
April 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Ewww...that's horrible.

SDSU Women's BB played their last regular season game there.

Terry Vandrovec, Sioux Falls Argus-Leader writer about SDSU athletics describes it below:

"Fleisher Athletic Center. With only one section of permanent bleachers, the building seats only 1,500 and has a treble-heavy PA system that reminds me of the screaming of a jet engine."

So, yes, it's horrible. It's in a bad part of Newark...... xnonono2x xnonono2x

downbythebeach
April 25th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Not to completely highjack the thread but Long Island U has some nice facilities. Ive been to their bball arena for a mens and womens game......I refer to that place as the Ikea Center....It is brand new and really crazy looking with many different colors, but still very nice and large enough.

Pageoner
April 25th, 2007, 01:35 AM
SDSU Women's BB played their last regular season game there.

Terry Vandrovec, Sioux Falls Argus-Leader writer about SDSU athletics describes it below:

"Fleisher Athletic Center. With only one section of permanent bleachers, the building seats only 1,500 and has a treble-heavy PA system that reminds me of the screaming of a jet engine."

So, yes, it's horrible. It's in a bad part of Newark...... xnonono2x xnonono2x

didn't know there was a good part of Newark.

danefan
April 25th, 2007, 08:12 AM

The Sam Adams Brewery Pub in Terminal C at Newark Airport is the only nice part of Newark.xrolleyesx

Cobblestone
April 25th, 2007, 08:21 AM

CAA?

89Hen
April 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Many people already hit on the problem NJIT would have fielding scholarship football... Title IX. They already have:

Baseball
Basketball - M
Cross Country - M
Fencing - M
Ice Hockey - M
Soccer - M
Swimming - M
Tennis - M
Track & Field - M
Volleyball - M

Adding a football team would most likely spell the end of half these men's teams because the women's side is full too, not many sports they could add there...

Basketball - W
Cross Country - W
Fencing - W
Soccer - W
Swimming - W
Tennis - W
Track & Field - W
Volleyball - W

BTW, some people have mentioned them becoming DI... aren't they already DI?

LUHawker
April 25th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Is VMI and Marist really on the Patriot League all sports raydar?

I don't think so although there are a couple of posters that have promoted this idea.

MplsBison
April 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Better than Camden.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM
If the Patriot League is seriously thinking about adding all-sports members, they would have to be considering Marist and VMI (and probably NJIT, too). They are the only three out there.

What else, realistically, is there? If we wait for Johns Hopkins or Gettysburg to be interested in jumping to D-I, we could be waiting for thirty years. Asking a CAA team to jump to the Patriot League (in all sports) not only wouldn't probably be a good fit, it would never, ever, happen. The NEC teams we're talking about are either too small (SFPA, Sacred Heart, Wagner, Monmouth), state-supported (Albany, CCSU) or too far-flung (RMU). So what does that leave us?

If the MAAC is indeed breaking up, it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to get all-sports members. Of the four remaining members, LaSalle is an affiliate, and Iona and St. Peter's are tiny schools barely staying above water as non-schollies. But Marist may be willing to jump to the Patriot League in all sports. They've been quoted in the media all but saying they'd be thrilled to be in the Patriot League. Not only that, it's a clear win for the Patriot League in basketball, both men's and (now) women's. Instantly both teams would be contenders.

VMI is still a good thought for all-sports membership. But I think with Winthrop doing well in the Big South in basketball, it may be not as interesting for them to switch to the Patriot League anymore. It's still a great fit - getting 50% of the Citadel/VMI rivalry in football would be terrific for the league, not to mention VMI would play Navy and Army in all other sports.

NJIT would be a bit of a project on several levels. However, they would have no baggage in entering a new league since they're a D-I independent - the only one in the east.

All three would bring all-sports into the league, which arguably is more important than any other consideration.

BucBloc
April 25th, 2007, 09:12 AM
One thing NJIT offers on the horizon is the new Devils arena. they will play some home games there, as they will have open dates in the arena with no NBA team. They are an NEC natural. They did play football D3 back in the 70's, and like so many other schools, packed it in. NJ has lost football at Seton Hall, Jersey City St, Ramapo, NJIT, Upsala (school closed) and NY lost St Johns, Brooklyn College, and Manhattan over the last 30 or so years.

Dane96
April 25th, 2007, 09:41 AM
CAA for NJIT...is a never. If the CAA expands...it is going to go to Albany or UNH in the north.

If Ga State gets football...the possibilities are endless...but expect a football/hoop breakup and this would give some of the VA schools interesting decisions to make because of old rivalries.

Cobblestone
April 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM
CAA for NJIT...is a never. If the CAA expands...it is going to go to Albany or UNH in the north.
If Ga State gets football...the possibilities are endless...but expect a football/hoop breakup and this would give some of the VA schools interesting decisions to make because of old rivalries.

Since the CAA consists of former A-10 teams, UNH is already part of the CAA.

I agree that Albany would be a nice addition.

Dane96
April 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Not for all sports, which is what I was referring too. I am quite aware of UNH's status.

Believe me...expansion North, if it comes at all, will come to Albany first, UNH second. SBU...never going to happen unless Hofstra has a change of heart.

UAalum72
April 25th, 2007, 12:57 PM
BTW, some people have mentioned them becoming DI... aren't they already DI?
This year was their first year playing D-I opponents, so they're still probably transitioning.

hens1
April 25th, 2007, 01:48 PM
That's the reality of the NEC. I like the conference, it has its own quirks, but the fact is its generally small, private schools in the NYC area.

SFNY has a one building campus blocks from the Brooklyn Bridge. It is what it is. They do have a history - at one pont they were a top basketball team and reached the NIT Final Four back in the 1950's when the NIT really mattered!

They have a tiny enrollment, budget, and exposure. Its not much different than SFPA or Mt. St. Mary's. Personally, I hope to see CCSU move to the AE, and that would certainly open a spot for NJIT to get their feet wet in D-I in the NEC. Its a stepping stone (look at former members Siena, Marist, UMBC, etc.)

I Believe that was SF-Pa with Maurice Stokes in the 50's.

aceinthehole
April 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I Believe that was SF-Pa with Maurice Stokes in the 50's.

Yes, St. Francis PA (and Maurice Stokes) played in the NIT in 1954, 1955, and 1958. They reached the Final Four in 1955 by beating Seton Hall, Holy Cross, and lost to Dayton in the semis, and Cincy in the 3rd place game.

But, St. Francis NY also played in the NIT in 1954, 1956, and 1963. They reached the Final Four in 1956 by beating Lafayette and Niagara; they also lost to Dayton in the semis, and then to St. Joes in the 3rd place game.

PeacockRaider
April 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I asked the sports info director @ NJIT what conferences they are looking at and if they intend to start football. He told me that the Maac didn't seem to be a fit for either side, mostly because NJIT is larger than most Maac schools, and is a public research and technoligical university,which none of the Maac schools are. Conferences that have been tossed around were the Patriot, NEC, and America East. Admittedly this covers a wide range both academically and athletically. He also stated that there isn't much of a chance of NJIT starting a fb team in the near future.xoopsx

youwouldno
April 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Better than Camden.

So is Baghdad.

Ivytalk
April 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM
It could fit in a dumpster under the south end zone of Giants Stadium!:p

Dane96
April 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Well, then they can keep dreaming of the AE and the PL. Not getting in either without football.

aceinthehole
April 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I asked the sports info director @ NJIT what conferences they are looking at and if they intend to start football. He told me that the Maac didn't seem to be a fit for either side, mostly because NJIT is larger than most Maac schools, and is a public research and technoligical university,which none of the Maac schools are. Conferences that have been tossed around were the Patriot, NEC, and America East. Admittedly this covers a wide range both academically and athletically. He also stated that there isn't much of a chance of NJIT starting a fb team in the near future.xoopsx

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. I can't really imagine that the PL or AE is interested in a start-up D-I basketball program that doesn't offer an elite liberal arts education or football. Again, seems like the Highlanders are destin for the NEC, whether they really want to or not.

Go...gate
April 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM
NJIT would best fit in the MAAC. Instant rival for St. Peter's.

As to Title IX, NJIT is 80% male but its athletic teams are roughly 53/47% (9 male sports, 8 female). Looks like another male sport wouldn't impact proportionality.

Agreed. And they have good low-cost road trips to Wagner, Monmouth, Marist, Iona, Fordham, etc.

Go...gate
April 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM

It would be cool to have NJIT play home games in the new Bears/Eagles stadium, but D-I FB is a big cash lay-out.

They may have a another D-I partner in Essex County (NJ) in the future. It is my understanding that Caldwell College, originally an all-women's school, wants to be D-I. They have already moved from NAIA to D-II.

Fresno St. Alum
April 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM
go gate, where did you get the info on the Caldwell Cougars? They were in the same conference as NJ Tech in D-II (CACC).

I don't understand why CCSU isn't in the AEC yet as a 10th member

ccd494
April 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Not for all sports, which is what I was referring too. I am quite aware of UNH's status.

Believe me...expansion North, if it comes at all, will come to Albany first, UNH second. SBU...never going to happen unless Hofstra has a change of heart.

UNH going to the CAA would be a huge "**** you" to UMaine. So much so that I don't see it happening at all, ever. Like it or not, those schools have to be considered tethered.

faxjusfax
April 26th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Too bad, because the students voted in favor of having a team last year.

Short sighted, if you ask me. NJIT is NOT that large (5,300 undergrads), and because they are in Newark, keeping that number up is a big challenge. There are plenty of alternatives for technology based schools in the tri-state area, so they better be careful.

A football program in NJ can always attract some talent, and going the low-cost MAAC route would be a great fit.

Really short-sighted, IMO

Go...gate
April 26th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Ironbound.

Go...gate
April 26th, 2007, 10:41 AM
go gate, where did you get the info on the Caldwell Cougars? They were in the same conference as NJ Tech in D-II (CACC).

I don't understand why CCSU isn't in the AEC yet as a 10th member

My late mother was an alum in Caldwell's Charter Class ('44). It's a great little (well, not so little any more) school. My Dad and I give them some financial support, and I seem to recall a story at one point in one of the alumni/development publications.

letsgopards04
April 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Marist isn't good enough academically to be in the Patriot League. i know some dumb kids that went there. Not a PL caliber school.

If the Patriot League is seriously thinking about adding all-sports members, they would have to be considering Marist and VMI (and probably NJIT, too). They are the only three out there.

What else, realistically, is there? If we wait for Johns Hopkins or Gettysburg to be interested in jumping to D-I, we could be waiting for thirty years. Asking a CAA team to jump to the Patriot League (in all sports) not only wouldn't probably be a good fit, it would never, ever, happen. The NEC teams we're talking about are either too small (SFPA, Sacred Heart, Wagner, Monmouth), state-supported (Albany, CCSU) or too far-flung (RMU). So what does that leave us?

If the MAAC is indeed breaking up, it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to get all-sports members. Of the four remaining members, LaSalle is an affiliate, and Iona and St. Peter's are tiny schools barely staying above water as non-schollies. But Marist may be willing to jump to the Patriot League in all sports. They've been quoted in the media all but saying they'd be thrilled to be in the Patriot League. Not only that, it's a clear win for the Patriot League in basketball, both men's and (now) women's. Instantly both teams would be contenders.

VMI is still a good thought for all-sports membership. But I think with Winthrop doing well in the Big South in basketball, it may be not as interesting for them to switch to the Patriot League anymore. It's still a great fit - getting 50% of the Citadel/VMI rivalry in football would be terrific for the league, not to mention VMI would play Navy and Army in all other sports.

NJIT would be a bit of a project on several levels. However, they would have no baggage in entering a new league since they're a D-I independent - the only one in the east.

All three would bring all-sports into the league, which arguably is more important than any other consideration.

PLLB
April 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
IMO if the patriot league wants to survive they need to get off their high horse and offer schollies. the patriot league will never be the ivy league and IMO is getting closer to the NESCAC. Sure Marist may not be as prestigious an institution as Lafayette, Lehigh etc, but we are talking about what makes the league better in football...not chemistry experiments.

Fresno St. Alum
April 26th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I don't think any all sports conference should be at 8 except the IVY. the PL needs 2 more full members BB 10 FB 9, that works

Eastside Fan
November 17th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Personally I feel that NJIT, which is the only team in the conference-rich Northeast area without an affiliation. would fit best in America East and Patriot League by virtue of its public research university status (ranked in the top-tier of National Universities by US News & World Report 2008. See http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php ).

Most schools in the America East and Patriot League belong to this class [ Tier-1 & Tier-2 levels National Universities], Tier-3 level or top liberal arts colleges class (see http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1libartco_brief.php).

Besides, AE and PL do not have any representatives in the state of New Jersey and it seems like there are no other academically-inclined
xreadx D1 colleges available in NJ.

The NEC has already rejected NJIT in favor of Bryant which offers Football.
THE MAAC seems to be for religiously-inclined schools which does not fit NJIT's profile...

It seems very unlikely that NJIT can support a D1 Football program due to experience, financial involvement and student population size... I heard recently Rutgers (huge student population) downgraded its Fencing and Tennis programs from D1 varsity level to club level.

So it would be either AE or PL accepts the academically-comparable & strategically-located NJIT which has no Football program but has great facilities (Bears/Eagles stadium, Prudential Center & an all-weather soccer field) or NJIT pays more to fly to other cities to play independent teams during regular conference season. Pre-conference period would be the same always filled with opponents from NEC, MAAC ,Patriot League, Ivy League, America East and sometimes Big-East.

Personally, I feel that strengthening of conference with a right-fit member isn't a bad thing for AE and PL since teams have been known to conference-hop. There have been talks of a Big-East re-alignment in the near future....I would not be surprised if some teams in AE and PL hop over to other conferences.... Big-East had to find other members when AAC stole away Boston-College, Virginia Tech and Miami. Syracuse almost left...

Dane96
November 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Already got the rejection from the AE and the NEC. Monmouth would get the invite before NJIT.

And why on earth are you bringing this topic up if NJIT doesnt plan on having a football team?

Eastside Fan
November 17th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry.....I just happened to search the web for NJIT's general athleic conference affiliation topic and landed here....

By the way.....where did you get the news the AE has already rejected NJIT? I did not seemed to be able to find this on the web?.....

Speaking of Monmouth U.....I thought the proposed new indoor stadium is very COOL....(see http://www.gomuhawks.com/mediaPlayer/video.dbml?ATCLID=1208426&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=62267&SPID=6808&DB_OEM_ID=14300&CLIP_ID=70125&CLIP_FILE_ID=75160&CONTENT_TYPE=ONDEMAND)

No offense...I feel that Monmouth is less research-oriented and therefore does not fit the profile of AE universities which are mostly National Universities.... NEC which is made up of small regional liberal-arts schools is the best-fit..

Dane96
November 17th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Agree...but Monmouth brings great sports...a NJ base for football...and MUCH better facilities. They would be the south of NYC Hartford.

FCS Go!
November 17th, 2007, 11:21 PM
What the hay is a NJIT? A diminutive widget? A ninja that is also an idiot?

Eastside Fan
November 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Well, we shall see how the teams perform these two seasons....the logical point would be around 2009-2010 period.... anyway NJIT would not be post-season eligible until 2009-2010 period...

Most of its current transitional teams were stuck at the bottom of the RPI list last season with the exception of its Men's and Women's volleyball teams.. However, the basketball team which is 0-3 this season with 6 rookies in the rotation after a publicity tour to the West looks promising.

My feeling is that there would be a big realignment of teams in the east.....the best-performing teams of the smaller conferences would be invited to join the big-boy conferences after Big-East fisions into Non-Football Conference and All-Sports Conference. Maybe that is what Monmouth's folks are preparing for with the new facilities investment....

ccd494
November 18th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I think the AE is done taking D-I startups.

CCSU and Monmouth would get nods first.

The only way I could see the AE adding a team that currently isn't D-I before it affiliated with another conference would be if like McGill or New Brunswick or Dalhousie magically decided to join the NCAA.

Eastside Fan
November 18th, 2007, 02:56 AM
It seems unlikely that that New Brunswick would want to downgrade from its big-boy conference , the Big-East, to AE as it is really one of the big-boys in the North-East....

NJIT is the only other state university in New Jersey (population around 8.4 million) with D1 program....... AE took in UMBC which is the second best state university in Maryland (population 5.6 million)..... AE also has 3 state universities from the SUNY system....

I feel that profile-wise, it fits in since it is a tier-2 public National University...it just has to improves its RPI across the board to justify a conference invitation... Geographically it is at the intersection of major highways and is just 10 mins away from Newark International Airport which would be good for teams flying in.

But I really doubt that NJIT could make it with Football since it has virtually no experience....the Football team would have to downgrade to D3 in order to order for matches to be exiting.....only large-size universities could really compete in Football simultaneouslywhile doing well in other sports. Smaller universities have to focus in order to strengthen the conference.

Rowan University is another regional University in New Jersey that has a Football program but chose to remain in D3 to stay competitive....It is doing very well in the NCAA especially in Football ... maybe it in tied to the fact that they have a stadium that is strategically located..see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_University .