PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette spring game

Pard4Life
April 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Attendance was very strong - what you'd expect after another title season and a goregous day.. I'd say there were about as many folk there as for a Georgetown game.. maybe a little less...

Of course, the thing I was focusing on most was the QBs. I got there about 1120, so I missed DiPaola unfortunately... what I saw though was ok, no real fancy plays or deep ones.. although he was short to a reciever while scrambling.. I think he made a few nice throws at the end.

I got to see more of Jones and Curley.. I was very impressed with Curley.. had a very crisp touchdown pass right on the money to a streaking reciever (Dixon) at the 2. About a 35-yard pass... and I think Curley was facing pressure. Dixon also made another nice grab on a high pass, and Curley had to 'thread the needle' a few times, but made completions... might want to be careful about forcing passes.

Jones found a wide-open reciever for a TD, and he made some nice mid-field passes as well.

D'Andre Morrow is really fast.. let's just say that.. tremendous cut-speed can make a few people miss... he weaved right through the line and LBs from about the 15 for a TD... and cut-up outside the guards when the center was blocked on another play..

Unfortunately I was not very focused on the defense... although some names I heard alot.. Jerell Robinson, Nigel Bryant.. these guys will probably have big roles.. Robinson burst through a few times...

Clearly, Dixon and Adair are our receivers... Watson is trying out for that spot and did ok..

I am curious to see Raymond and Quilling take some snaps...

Frosh were in attendance, but they stood up in the crowd and could not find them easily... don't know why they didn't go down to the field or concourse for applause..

Anyhow, a very good day, and we have a very good team on the field..

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Was very, very impressed with Di Paola after watching the recap on 69 News Saturday night. Not sure if the three long bombs were all his, but they were deep and accurate to your speedy receivers.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Frosh were in attendance, but they stood up in the crowd and could not find them easily... don't know why they didn't go down to the field or concourse for applause..

xeyebrowx They don't participate in the spring game? xeyebrowx

danefan
April 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
xeyebrowx They don't participate in the spring game? xeyebrowx

I think he means incoming frosh.

andy7171
April 23rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
I think he means incoming frosh.
I didn't even think of that! xoopsx

I guess they didn't want to claim any of the praise being that they didn't actually do anything. Ya don't want to PO the upperclassmen BEFORE summer camps opens up. Being a freshman (cannon fodder) is bad enough!

Pard4Life
April 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
I didn't even think of that! xoopsx

I guess they didn't want to claim any of the praise being that they didn't actually do anything. Ya don't want to PO the upperclassmen BEFORE summer camps opens up. Being a freshman (cannon fodder) is bad enough!

I don't think so... it's a nice way to see who is there... in the past, recruits went down to the track, stood alphabetically, and waved when name announced... nice to see who is who.. we just don't ahve a track anymore..

andy7171
April 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
I don't think so... it's a nice way to see who is there... in the past, recruits went down to the track, stood alphabetically, and waved when name announced... nice to see who is who.. we just don't ahve a track anymore..
Uh oh! Yet another elitist no track stadium guy is being born! :)

Pard4Life
April 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Uh oh! Yet another elitist no track stadium guy is being born! :)

Meh, I don't think so.. track in a stadium can be good if it is done nicely... we 'kind of' have a track now around the new field... it's a jogging track and does not conform to Olympic regulations or anything... the field dictates its shape...

So did anyone else out there see the game? Pards?

cosmo here
April 23rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
P4L . . I think you have some of the QB/WR combinations mixed up on the TDs, here's the recap from Lafayette's site - http://goleopards.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042107aab.html.

Adair/Dorsey look pretty set at WR, Watson seems to be making a nice transition and should contribute. Dixon (named Unsung Hero along with Mo White at the banquet), had another nice spring game, lets hope he can translate it into his senior year - I think he can.

OL was down to two guards, although they were the good ones - Lippert and Hart-Predmore. Short on corners too with Lawson/Clecidor out, Quarterman and Bryant both played very well together.

Tavani is on the Morning Call sports program tonight on Service Electric, replayed on RCN sometime this week, check it out if you get a chance.

Fordham
April 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Congrats on a nice spring game, fellas. We had a better than usual turnout as well, which I attribute partially to just a picture perfect day, weather-wise.

One big piece of news for us is that our frosh. RB, Larry Dortch, has decided to not play football any more (not transferring to play someplace else, just doesn't want to play according to coach). I expect another rocky year in Ramland this year as I believe these incoming frosh (who the staff is absolutely thrilled with) are going to be getting an awful lot of playing time. Given that we're going to be playing so many frosh, I think this year will be another learning year for us and expect us to be competitive next year. I remain hopeful but am also trying to be realistic here. The D looked pretty good, even sans Marcus Taylor, and both of our QB's looked good. The frosh are going to be given every shot to win starting spots at TB & WR, though, so our skill position guys will be talented but, again, frosh and therefore inexperienced. It would really be a collosal feat for us to be anywhere other than bottom 2 this year in the PL. That said, I'm a big Masella fan and believe we're headed in the right direction and could be dangerous next year (or could even suprise a bit this year if Skelton really develops). Long-short, though, I'm expecting one more year of 'wait till next year' in Ramland, for those of you looking to put out yer PL pre-season picks.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
Congrats on a nice spring game, fellas. We had a better than usual turnout as well, which I attribute partially to just a picture perfect day, weather-wise.

One big piece of news for us is that our frosh. RB, Larry Dortch, has decided to not play football any more (not transferring to play someplace else, just doesn't want to play according to coach). .

Ouch Fordham. Sorry to hear that - I saw Dortch last year versus Columbia and he looked like the heir apparent to Prydatko.

ngineer
April 23rd, 2007, 10:00 PM

At Lehigh we used to have the incoming frosh go out on the field at 'halftime' and get introduced. I heard from the HC that they cannot do that anymore due to some 'new' NCAA regulation!! What can that be all about?? Absolutely ridiculous. They can attend but not be introduced??xrolleyesx

From what I'm reading, it looks like the PL will be a story of the 2-L's--unless Colgate can report something of interest....

PLLB
April 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM
colgate has 9 starters back on offense including all five offensive lineman not to mention the best tailback in the league i think they will be all right.

Pard4Life
April 24th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Taking cue from Andy on our board, the kickers were showcased on a few plays. Rodriguez looks like the best one so far, he hit a 35-yarder or so, but it was wobbly... missed another one a bit longer, but it had distance.. he is going to be a freshman (enrolled in classes for winter)...

..Yankovich had some solid punts... went 40-45 yards and one rolled about 63... (i think that was him)... BUT... something had me groan was his punt from the endzone early in the contest.. awful punt that went nowhere... yeah every punter shanks one once in awhile, but Yankovich seems to have done it at least every game last year... or half the games at least... too much for comfort.. hope he would have fixed it by now..

We don't have Ziska to punt too anymore..

Andy
April 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Yeah, they don't call him "Shankovich" for nothing. He drives you crazy--you never know if he'll give you 50 yards or 19. Coach seems high on the incoming freshman k/p (Pa. Big 33), never passing up a chance to mention him. That game's usually televised and this year we've got reason to watch.

D'Urso had some nice runs, I thought, and he should get some carries this year. Maurice's style results in his taking some serious hits and I'm not convinced as to his durability. Back up RBs could be crucial.

Welcome aboard, PLLB!

carney2
April 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I missed the game due to other commitments. Did not even get a chance to see the delayed telecast on RCN. By the way, if you have access, it is being repeated on Friday the 27th @ 9:00 PM. On to other topics:

Yankovich: strong leg; a real adventure. I don't expect or hope to see much of him in the fall.

I was a little disappointed to see that the QB controversy has not become better defined. The senior-to-be, DiPaola, seems to still be in the lead which, to me, is a two-edged sword:

1. If DiPaola gets the majority of the snaps in the fall we will be back here next spring asking these same questions.

BUT

2. If neither sophomore Curley nor redshirt freshman Jones steps to the front of the pack and DiPaola is the starter, the three incoming freshmen will have a year to mature and develop before mounting an all out push for the job. If, on the other hand, Curley or Jones is "the man," these three newcomers might as well be enrolled at Hofstra because the number two man doesn't seem to get a lot of quality playing time under Frank.

Here's the deal: the onus is on the coaches. They have 6 QB candidates from which to make their choice. For whatever reason, one of them will be a better choice than the others. It is their responsibility to discover and develop the right guy, and not stumble into their "choice" sometime late in the season against Bucknell or Holy Cross.

Pard4Life
April 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM
colgate has 9 starters back on offense including all five offensive lineman not to mention the best tailback in the league i think they will be all right.

Yeah I agree, don't know what went wrong in Hamilton last fall, but Colgate could threaten to take the title this year... I do not even consider them a 'dark-horse'... more like semi-favorite...

Pard4Life
April 24th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, they don't call him "Shankovich" for nothing. He drives you crazy--you never know if he'll give you 50 yards or 19. Coach seems high on the incoming freshman k/p (Pa. Big 33), never passing up a chance to mention him. That game's usually televised and this year we've got reason to watch.

D'Urso had some nice runs, I thought, and he should get some carries this year. Maurice's style results in his taking some serious hits and I'm not convinced as to his durability. Back up RBs could be crucial.

Welcome aboard, PLLB!

D'Urso is a quality back, just missed breaking some last year. I remember he and Maurice White split time in the Fordham game.. if D'Urso got the holes that White got in that game, D'Urso might be the slightly higher profile back than White right now...

LCFan21
April 24th, 2007, 03:28 PM
DiPaola will be the starter providing no injuries etc. - the leash will be a short one but let's hope it is not needed. This is just my opinion but I feel like the players and coaches admire/ respect the hard work DiPaola has put in to get himself into this position and would love to see him succeed. This in no way means that Curley or Jones or perhaps a freshman are not capable if given the same chance and that players and coaches would not rally around them as well. Basically it comes down to the many hours the senior has run the scout teams and his working closely with Brad etc. It really counts for a lot when all else is equal and gives him a major leg up in this thing. Unless a freshman comes in and just lights it up to the point that the coaches have no choice - senior will be under center for the first snap vs. Marist. I am only interested in a fourth straight title and will worry about next year...well...next year. You just can't deny the Sr. his shot IF (like I said above) all else is equal and right now that is exactly where they are at.

cosmo here
April 24th, 2007, 04:59 PM
D'Urso is a quality back, just missed breaking some last year. I remember he and Maurice White split time in the Fordham game.. if D'Urso got the holes that White got in that game, D'Urso might be the slightly higher profile back than White right now...

D'Urso is a good back, White is a great back . . I can think of at least 10 plays that White made last year that I can't see D'Urso making. The backup tailback in our offense generally does pretty well (see D'Urso vs. Columbia, 2005 . . Hurt in 2004, White in 2006) so I think he'll contribute, but White is the man.

carney2
April 24th, 2007, 06:15 PM
senior will be under center for the first snap vs. Marist.

Agreed, but the question is not who will start in week 1 vs. Marist, but rather who will start in week 6 vs. Columbia. By that time we will have been through 4 games and a bye week. Someone darn well better have a firm opinion as to who is "the man" to carry us into the 4th quarter of the Lehigh game.

LCFan21
April 25th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Agreed, but the question is not who will start in week 1 vs. Marist, but rather who will start in week 6 vs. Columbia. By that time we will have been through 4 games and a bye week. Someone darn well better have a firm opinion as to who is "the man" to carry us into the 4th quarter of the Lehigh game.

Let's hope there is no question who the man will be and he never looks back. I can totally understand your feeling like a change is inevitable based on how our offense starts the season and the short leash coming in. All three look capable so we might just have to watch this play out during regular season games. You win and play well - your on the field - you ***** the bed and lose the next guy steps in and so on and so forth. It will be interesting week to week if that scenario plays out. I guarantee one thing......it will sure give us a lot to write about!

Pard4Life
April 25th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Yes indeed... DiPaola has to be the front-runner like you said.. wasn't he scout team MVP? Brad was too... and all those 'tutor' sessions must count for something.. did not see DiPaola much in the spring game since I was late, but I did like Curley..

LBPop
April 25th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'd say there were about as many folk there as for a Georgetown game.

Geez, here I decide to read a little about a league opponent's spring game and the poor Georgetown folks get nailed in the second sentence. xbawlingx

Of course Georgetown has earned a lot of crticism, but please wait until summer camp. You will have plenty of opportunities then. ;) :D xrolleyesx :( xsmhx.

Pard4Life
April 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Hey, I'm just stating the facts... xrolleyesx

carney2
April 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Geez, here I decide to read a little about a league opponent's spring game and the poor Georgetown folks get nailed in the second sentence.

xeyebrowx A day without kicking a Hoya is like a day without sunshine.xsmiley_wix

ngineer
April 25th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Interesting dilemma you guys have with the QB situation. From my observations of Tavani, I think he'll go with the senior if he shows himself to be 'the man' in August and continues to do the job in the early games. I don't think he yanks him unless he looks shakey. Guy has 'paid his dues' and has earned the shot. If Tavani hands the job to the underclassman for the sake of looking to the future, he would be jeopardizing losing his senior leadership in the present.

As I see it, and taking into account earlier accounts about Colgate, the League will likely come down the wire, again, this year. An upheaval over who should be the QB does not make for good chemistry, which can make the difference in close games.

Keeping everyone 'happy' is almost an impossible task with today's athletes.

ngineer
April 25th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Oh, I'm not discounting the Raiders offense--it's the defense that I think will be in flux. How well the D will gel will be the key. I've always believed that defense comes first in winning championships.

DFW HOYA
April 25th, 2007, 09:07 PM
xeyebrowx A day without kicking a Hoya is like a day without sunshine.xsmiley_wix

Well, someone renewed Georgetown for another three years in the league, even if it wasn't Frank Tavani.

carney2
April 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Well, someone renewed Georgetown for another three years in the league, even if it wasn't Frank Tavani.

Interesting. How does that work? I never gave it much thought, but I kind of assumed it was an open ended "til death do us part" sort of arrangement. You indicate that it is a renewable contract for a specific period. Is it the same deal with Fordham?

A second question: Are all of Georgetown's remaining sports in the Big East? If yes, that means that at least a few "minor" and/or "Olympic" sports are being contested at a fairly high level. How, in your opinion, is that working out?

PLLB
April 26th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Oh, I'm not discounting the Raiders offense--it's the defense that I think will be in flux. How well the D will gel will be the key. I've always believed that defense comes first in winning championships.

BY my count they lost three starters on D, the 2 safeties and 1 inside LB. all 6 d-lineman in the 2 deep return both corners and an ALL AMERICAN LB

DFW HOYA
April 26th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Interesting. How does that work? I never gave it much thought, but I kind of assumed it was an open ended "til death do us part" sort of arrangement. You indicate that it is a renewable contract for a specific period. Is it the same deal with Fordham?

I once read that PL associate members are on three year renewable contracts for scheduling purposes. Someone may be able to confirm or refute this.

A second question: Are all of Georgetown's remaining sports in the Big East? If yes, that means that at least a few "minor" and/or "Olympic" sports are being contested at a fairly high level. How, in your opinion, is that working out?

All Georgetown sports in which the Big East sponsors competition is in the Big East, which is a conference requirement. Schools can opt out of league play for one team if the program is not fully funded and the competitive imbalance is too great; of course, just about all of Georgetown's 27 sports are not fully funded but they can only use the exception on one, which for now is used on softball.

Sports that the Big East does not sponsor, such as men's lacrosse, men's rowing, and sailing, do not fall under this rule.

Pard4Life
April 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
..so for G'town it's competitive imbalance and lack of full funding?

I'd bet that was for St. John's too.. before they dropped around 2002.

carney2
April 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
..so for G'town it's competitive imbalance and lack of full funding?

I'd bet that was for St. John's too.. before they dropped around 2002.

Bite your tongue. You can think it, but you dare not speak it. The Patsies need the Hoyas more than vice versa.