PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Spring Game

SuperJon
April 22nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
LU drew a record crowd of 4388 for the spring game. It was a day full of LU sports with softball and baseball being at home, and the Big South Track Championships being hosted at LU.

Liberty Wrap-up (http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm?PID=10869&newsID=1368&TeamID=9)

Lynchburg News & Advance Notebook (http://newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=LNA%2FMGArticle%2FLNA_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350887179&path=!sports[/url)

N&A Wrap-up (http://newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=LNA%2FMGArticle%2FLNA_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350887165&path=!sports[/url)

Coastal89
April 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
45-25!! What did y'all do start an Arena football team?:)

Seawolf97
April 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Luxury boxes at $29,500 per season. Cool!

SuperJon
April 22nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
45-25!! What did y'all do start an Arena football team?:)

89, we used a different scoring system:

Offense

First down - 1 point
Extra Point - 1 point
Two Point Conversion - 2 points
Field Goal - 3 points
Touchdown - 6 points

Defense

Stop on Downs - 1 point
Missed FG - 2 points
Fourth Down Stop - 2 points
Three and Out Series - 2 points
Sack - 2 points
Two Point Conversion Stop - 2 points
Takeaway - 3 points
Touchdown - 9 points

Sly Fox
April 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
SJ - Shhhhhhhhhhh!

We're just little old Liberty with our delusions of grandeur. We're to be ignored and dismissed by one and all.

SuperJon
April 23rd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Oh, my fault. Sorry.

Tribe4SF
April 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM
SJ - Shhhhhhhhhhh!

We're just little old Liberty with our delusions of grandeur. We're to be ignored and dismissed by one and all.

At least in the state of Virginia, you won't be flying under the radar. Everyone knows you've loaded up on transfers to augment an already improving team.

Nice turnout for the game. Is Jerry still padding the numbers, or did you really have 4K?

appfan2008
April 23rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
4k at a spring game at liberty is pretty darn good

andy7171
April 23rd, 2007, 09:39 AM
LU drew a record crowd of 4388 for the spring game. It was a day full of LU sports with softball and baseball being at home, and the Big South Track Championships being hosted at LU.

Liberty Wrap-up (http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm?PID=10869&newsID=1368&TeamID=9)

Lynchburg News & Advance Notebook (http://newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=LNA%2FMGArticle%2FLNA_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350887179&path=!sports[/url)

N&A Wrap-up (http://newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=LNA%2FMGArticle%2FLNA_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350887165&path=!sports[/url)
Nice crowd! And an even nicer weather weekend too! xthumbsupx

Libertine
April 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Is Jerry still padding the numbers, or did you really have 4K?

That's actually legit. The home side of the stadium was "loosely full".

SuperJon
April 23rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Since Jeff Barber came in, the attendance has been legit. We've actually been criticized for our numbers coming in lower at basketball games. There was a very good crowd there.

With the amount of people joining the Flames Club this year and the atmosphere around campus, the athletic department is expecting our first game to have the attendance of homecoming last year (15,000...3k over capacity) and then homecoming to be even bigger.

I know everyone gives us crap for the transfers, but the most impressive players of the game, to me, were Liberty recruited kids.

Two of the transfers who are from the Lynchburg Area (Stevie Ray Lloyd, LB from VT, and Eddie Pinigis, RB from UVA) were named captains for this year. Along with those two were seniors OL Stephen Sene, DE Steve Ackley, and junior QB Brock Smith.

Our Sam Gado award (most improved player over spring ball) went to QB Brock Smith and LB Derek Lisko who are both juniors.

Our four returning OL starters are an average of 6'4.5 298.5 pounds. It's scary how big they are. I've stood next to him and I felt small, and people who know me know I'm anything but small.

Tribe4SF
April 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
SuperJon,

Liberty may have sold 15,000 tickets for Homecoming last year, but there weren't anywhere near that many in the stadium. Many empty seats in the sections adjacent to the visitors section, and the bleachers in the endzone had about 20 students. The attendance that day was just as mythical as the reported 9,000 when we were there in 2004. No big deal, I just find it amusing that Liberty has a history of "fibbing" about attendance.

Looking forward to the Flames' trip to Williamsburg. It should be another good one. Did Liberty fans travel better last year?

Sly Fox
April 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
We did a little better last year for the driveable games. I have a feeling we'll do much better for the game in Williamsburg.

As for the numbers, there were open seats in the stadium but there also were thiusands of students milling around up on the councourses. Hopefully the new luxury suites for this fall will cut down on that actovity and push people into the seats.

Tribe4SF
April 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Not to drag it out Sly, but I was on the student side concourse, and there were hundreds, not thousands, milling about.

If you guys bring a decent crowd this time, we should have a sellout. 11,700 last time, and you guys had very few of them. With this one at night, it should be full.

SuperJon
April 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
SuperJon,

Liberty may have sold 15,000 tickets for Homecoming last year, but there weren't anywhere near that many in the stadium. Many empty seats in the sections adjacent to the visitors section, and the bleachers in the endzone had about 20 students. The attendance that day was just as mythical as the reported 9,000 when we were there in 2004. No big deal, I just find it amusing that Liberty has a history of "fibbing" about attendance.

Looking forward to the Flames' trip to Williamsburg. It should be another good one. Did Liberty fans travel better last year?

The people milling around aren't on the student side. There are a whole lot of people who are in the concourse on the main side because of the kid's zone and that stuff. I agree that there were gaps in places, but in the lower sections of students, people were packed in tight. Believe me, I was on the 50 yard line and it was tight in there.

The report in 04 was definitely wrong. LU's trying to get over that reputation and Kevin Keys (marketing director and person who's over attendance) and Jeff Barber (AD) are doing all they can to get it right.

Libertine
April 23rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Our Sam Gado award (most improved player over spring ball) went to QB Brock Smith and LB Nick Hurskywho are both juniors.

Fixed that for you, Jon.

And the 14K+ number from last year's W&M game is accurate. Most of those clearly empty seats were actually in the visitors' section and the bleachers at the end were overflow for anyone who decided they'd rather watch a game sitting with a crappy angle instead of standing along the top with a good angle. Obviously, not many takers on that. Trust me, I can see literally every person in the stadium from where I sit (assuming they aren't in the can or something) and that number was legit.

SuperJon
April 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
I got Hursky and Lisko mixed up, mainly because Lisko was wearing that God-awful two color undershirt.

tribe ol
April 24th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Flames,

I was at the game and spent time on both sides of the stadium. The attendance figure was clearly inflated. The Athletic Department was advertising that 15K would be in attendance all week & they made sure that was the reported figure. I don't care one way or another but most of the people standing near me (not all Tribe fans) laughed out loud when they announced the attendance figure.

Your team is good and your level of (increasing) support is impressive.

SuperJon
April 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM
If Libertine said he saw that it was 15,000, then he saw it was 15,000. When you stand on top of the press box you have the best view and can see everything.

tribe ol
April 24th, 2007, 11:20 AM
SJ,
If there were 3,000 people on top of the press box with Libertine then I suppose that would be about right (and I certainly would not have been able to see them).

PAmedic
April 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM
if anyone cares, we had a good time at the spring game. ;)
the O-line looks much improved and I think the D will remain stout. This team just needs show they've matured enough to win the close ones, and avoid shooting themselves in the foot this fall.

citdog
April 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM
if anyone cares, we had a good time at the spring game. ;)
the O-line looks much improved and I think the D will remain stout. This team just needs show they've matured enough to win the close ones, and avoid shooting themselves in the foot this fall.

looks like coach linguini may have that idiot falwell's boys in line

Libertine
May 1st, 2007, 01:13 AM
Did the real SoCon posters run you out of their threads, Citdog? You're hanging around these Big South threads quite a bit lately. Anything we should know? Are the Lords of Discipline going to "pull a VMI", too?

And, for the record, I can't WAIT for the inevitable "little south" comeback.

citdog
May 1st, 2007, 08:55 AM
Did the real SoCon posters run you out of their threads, Citdog? You're hanging around these Big South threads quite a bit lately. Anything we should know? Are the Lords of Discipline going to "pull a VMI", too?

And, for the record, I can't WAIT for the inevitable "little south" comeback.

no, i like red-headed stepchildren. just slumming tine, just slumming

Libertine
May 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
no, i like red-headed stepchildren. just slumming tine, just slumming

Too easy.

Sly Fox
May 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Being the redheaded stepchildren of the SoCon beats similar status I the Big South, I guess. But I'm not sure El Cid could handle being behind both VMI & CSU in conference standings year in and year out.

:D

citdog
May 3rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Being the redheaded stepchildren of the SoCon beats similar status I the Big South, I guess. But I'm not sure El Cid could handle being behind both VMI & CSU in conference standings year in and year out.

:D

you must lay off the crack pipe fox. we will beat csu and vmi by 4 or 5td's each

ATrain
May 3rd, 2007, 06:53 PM
El Cid would contend for the last three spots in the conference with VMI and CSU. CCU, Gardner-Webb and Liberty would easily handle El Cid though.