PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Task Force to Examine TXST FBS Move

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Major news out of San Marcos where Denise Trauth, the President of Texas State - San Marcos has announced a presidential task force will look into a move to FBS football...

Apparently, said task force has been in place since February 2007 (though covering all bases - football moving to FBS is a new task) and we do have word from the President that the June 1, 2007 date which many fans want an announcement by is too short a time frame.

-------------

Texas State Task Force to Examine Move to FBS for Football

SAN MARCOS - Texas State University-San Marcos President Denise M. Trauth said she will ask the President's Athletics Task Force to conduct a comprehensive feasibility study on moving the university's football program to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) level of competition in the future.

"There appears to be a groundswell of enthusiasm surrounding our football program right now. If we can carry that momentum forward and build on it, then the feasibility of moving the program to the FBS competition is something we need to examine," said Trauth.

The President's Athletics Task Force was appointed in February, 2007, and works with Trauth, Texas State Director of Athletics Larry Teis, Provost Perry Moore and University Advancement Vice President Becky Prince. It is charged with assisting the Texas State Department of Athletics in reviewing and revising its strategic plan and charting a course for fundraising for Athletics.

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042207aaa.html

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2007, 10:17 AM
I think this is a win-win for all involved...

Pres/AD - gets the community, students and alums off their back. Allows for them to seriously put together the facts and figures related to an FBS move -- which could show them the truth on how plausible it is to move. It also gets the $$$ coming into the athletic department as people want to show they are supporting the cause.

Student Leaders - they had been pushing for this. They'll declare it a victory and will lay off the President and AD atleast until a study comes out as the study will show them what they need.

Fans, Community, Etc - All they talk about is FBS this and FBS that. Atleast they know the school is looking into it and this will get them digging in their pockets to support Bobcat athletics, something they love to do anyway, but have been questioning the TXST athletic administration. They'll clamor that the pressure they put on was the reason this study is going to happen, so that'll make them happy.

Bearkatpresident
April 22nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
With as much crap as we get having to prove to the Board that our classroom buildings are full before we can get a new building, I certainly hope TXST-SM can prove their stadium is constantly full before the system gives them the vast increase of cash it would take to move up.

(SHSU's been the fastest growing university in Texas for several years running and we desperatly need new classrooms and buildings. We've had to jump through a massive number of hoops in order to get new classroom buildings. We're in the same system as TSUSM. Not bitter, just want everyone to have to go through the same crap eqaully)

Of course, if it was mostly alumni funded, then I'd have no complaints.

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
With as much crap as we get having to prove to the Board that our classroom buildings are full before we can get a new building, I certainly hope TXST-SM can prove their stadium is constantly full before the system gives them the vast increase of cash it would take to move up.

Their stadium has not been full. We all know that. Attendance has been up, especially during the semifinal run, but there's definitely room for improvement there. For the enrollment they have, easy commute from Austin and San Antonio, they sure don't draw as well as one would think.

A new or expanded football stadium should be third on the list of things that the administration in San Marcos needs to build for their athletic program. They have a solid baseball program (Harrington is an outstanding coach), but they do not have a baseball (or softball) facility to show it off. I think a move up to FBS starts with taking care of the programs they already have. 1) Baseball and 2) Softball, should come before any football stadium expansion plans. Some may even argue soccer needs to come before football, perhaps.

Question is, would the Board of Regents be for the San Marcos school and the Beaumont institution (Lamar) both making major financial commitments as it relates to football? If the 'Cats go FBS, would the TSUS be willing to allow LU to reinstate football? Can the system deal with both at the same time?

DFW HOYA
April 22nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
What conference would SWT...er, Texas State even play in? The Sun Belt just added Western Kentucky in football, but it's not a done deal that they add a 15th school for all sports.

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
I think the Sun Belt would rather ditch the non football schools (New Orleans, Denver, South Alabama, etc.) for football schools.

Pageoner
April 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
C-USA?

TheRiver
April 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
The word form inside is there has been talks with C-USA for 3 years now, and that is where TXST wants to be. But they are keep a tight lip on all of this. So no real news but that is where they want to be in 3 to 5 years.xcoolx

slycat
April 22nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
dang it......xsmhx

i really dont want this to happen i love the FCS and don't believe texas st is ready to move up. it sucks that my opinion is a minority at this school.

i just hope this is done right if we do move up.

slycat
April 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM

(SHSU's been the fastest growing university in Texas for several years running and we desperatly need new classrooms and buildings. We've had to jump through a massive number of hoops in order to get new classroom buildings. We're in the same system as TSUSM. Not bitter, just want everyone to have to go through the same crap eqaully)

Of course, if it was mostly alumni funded, then I'd have no complaints.

i know most of our new buildings have been funded strongly by alumni. the business building alone had a 20 million dollar donation.

slycat
April 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
the only reason i could see for a move up is if utsa was close to doing it. it wuold put a lot of stress on recruitment if we were right between to FBS schools.xtwocentsx

Fresno St. Alum
April 22nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
What conference would SWT...er, Texas State even play in? The Sun Belt just added Western Kentucky in football, but it's not a done deal that they add a 15th school for all sports.
There are only 13 in the Sun Belt 9 with football counting WKU. Texas St. only option is the Sun Belt.

Fresno St. Alum
April 22nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Big question is if Texas St. leaves does Lamar announce the addition of football in time so that SLC can get Houston Baptist. Or do they still look into D-II anyway for Tarleton St. I know TT wants Delta St. but they as far as I know have no plans to move up.

slycat
April 22nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
There are only 13 in the Sun Belt 9 with football counting WKU. Texas St. only option is the Sun Belt.

i think i would throw up if we joined the sunbelt.

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
They got a clever web site...the folks behind the FBS move do...

Only if they realized they were in Div I last June 1st and still will be next June 1st...

http://www.d1june1.com/

Fresno St. Alum
April 22nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
So TT, are they gonna leave or not? What is going to happen.?

Slycat get out your vomit bag because that is the only place for them if they go.

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
So TT, are they gonna leave or not? What is going to happen.?

Are the donors there that certain folks in San Marcos claim will be there? If they are there, there is not going to be too much problems taking care of business.

They need the financial commitment to fund the upgraded facilities (baseball/softball included), additional sports and staff...

Fresno St. Alum
April 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
TT, do you want them to leave and get a new member or do you want them to stay.

TexasTerror
April 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
TT, do you want them to leave and get a new member or do you want them to stay.

I'm a big advocate of them and all the other on the ropes (namely the non-football eying football, etc) schools to make up their mind...mostly because of my own personal interest in how this realignment we keep hearing about is going to shake out and how it's going to impact SHSU, the SLC and such...

Fresno St. Alum
April 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Well you know me, I'm for the movement, I'd like to see the Belt get team 14. I'd like to see Tarleton St. in the SLC or whoever.

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2007, 07:25 AM
Article by our old Sports Network I-AA columnist about the folks in San Marcos' last attempt to move on up..

Of course, all of this sniping at the SFL and stadium talk might be worth it if anybody outside of a few well-placed administrators within the Southwest Texas hierarchy even wanted I-A football. The SWT Faculty Senate voiced its opposition to the move in February 2000, citing "the negative message it sends regarding the relative importance of academics" and calling the proposed move "but another example of the university
exalting form over substance and seeking quick and easy, yet ultimately meaningless fixes to better position us to run with the big dogs." A staff editorial from the University Star echoed the faculty's position, citing a probable tuition hike and an adverse effect on academic programs as reasons for student opposition. Worst of all, SWT clearly lacks the necessary fan base of 17,000 to support such a move. The school is averaging 12,417 tickets sold for home games this season, while the actual attendance fell at least 2,000 beneath that number for last week's McNeese State game. Anybody looking for a case study in misplaced motives for a move to I-A and the poorest execution of such a move better hop the next train for San Marcos, Texas.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/moss_archive/3rdandlong_101701.htm

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2007, 07:27 AM
From the San Marcos Daily Record...

Texas State task force to explore move to I-A

College Football
From staff reports

San Marcos — It appears that pressure from alumni and a push from students is producing at least some early results at Texas State on the issue of moving the school’s football program from Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) to Football Bowl Subdivision play.

In a press release, Texas State has announced that University President Denise Trauth will ask the President’s Athletics Task Force to “conduct a comprehensive feasibility study on moving the university’s football program” up in classification.

The issue of a move up recently came to the forefront after a short time on the back burner during the Associated Student Government’s elections on campus. There have also been a number of alumni that have voiced a desire to see Texas State plan for a move to FBS. At least one group of influential donors created a petition outlining what it would take to move up and some characteristics that make Texas State a good candidate for a move.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/local_story_111143926.html?keyword=topstory

patssle
April 23rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Article by our old Sports Network I-AA columnist about the folks in San Marcos' last attempt to move on up..

Of course, all of this sniping at the SFL and stadium talk might be worth it if anybody outside of a few well-placed administrators within the Southwest Texas hierarchy even wanted I-A football. The SWT Faculty Senate voiced its opposition to the move in February 2000, citing "the negative message it sends regarding the relative importance of academics" and calling the proposed move "but another example of the university
exalting form over substance and seeking quick and easy, yet ultimately meaningless fixes to better position us to run with the big dogs." A staff editorial from the University Star echoed the faculty's position, citing a probable tuition hike and an adverse effect on academic programs as reasons for student opposition. Worst of all, SWT clearly lacks the necessary fan base of 17,000 to support such a move. The school is averaging 12,417 tickets sold for home games this season, while the actual attendance fell at least 2,000 beneath that number for last week's McNeese State game. Anybody looking for a case study in misplaced motives for a move to I-A and the poorest execution of such a move better hop the next train for San Marcos, Texas.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/moss_archive/3rdandlong_101701.htm

xlolx xlolx xlolx

some things don't change....

Freightliner
April 23rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

some things don't change....

Youre right there.

I guess the first study they did did not teach them anything. So lets go spend some MORE money (money that could be used for a bb/sb complex) to get the same results.xoopsx xsmhx xnonono2x xnonono2x

Za-KEE-uS
April 23rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Non-football schools should have their own conferences, they make everything difficult :D

henfan
April 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
If I had a dollar for every I-A/BCS feasibility study conducted by Texas State and UMass...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Shouldn't Texas just have it's own conference? Hell, we saw the inaugural Texas vs. The Rest senior game or whatever it was called...

slycat
April 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
post from bobcatfans on info given to alumni in houston from our AD.

im glad to see the videoboards are coming this year.

Scoreboards:

Football ready in late July or early Aug
Basketball ready in Sept
Baseball/softball ready in Oct.

Baseball stadium:

Architectural drawings are finished
Cost is up to $5-6mil from previous renderings ($2.5-3mil)
Dorothy Evans said that a major donor is being pursued for both this project and the proposed alumni center
Plan is to land major donor, then solicit from everyone else

Div.I-A (FBS):

It is now being addressed. See TxSt website on Apr 22 press release.
AD does not want to plan move up and then count on contributions.
AD wants contributions to make the move before we commit.

Other:

Locals just don't support Bobcat Athletics.
Local tax avenues can not generate much for facilities.

TexasTerror
April 23rd, 2007, 05:43 PM
Shouldn't Texas just have it's own conference? Hell, we saw the inaugural Texas vs. The Rest senior game or whatever it was called...

Nope...

SWC fell apart because it was 'too regional'. That was a fun conference! Really miss those days...

TexasTerror
April 24th, 2007, 10:32 AM
From today's University Star (Texas State - San Marcos student fishwrap)...

University initiates study to determine football’s future
By Chris Boehm
The University Star

http://star.txstate.edu/content/view/3236/

The most interesting is thoughts from one member of the faculty that was involved last go-around...

This is not the first time a task force has looked into the issue; in the late 1990s, Jon Bible, finance and economics professor, was Faculty Senate chair and a member of a task force given the same assignment. Bible spoke to the Board of Regents expressing the opinion a move to Division I-A would not be in the university’s best interest.

“Back then, I said it would be disastrous,” Bible said. “I’m not sure that’s still the case, but right now and for the foreseeable future I don’t see this move happening.”

Bible, a former NFL referee who currently officiates games for the Big 12, said he has witnessed first-hand the disparity in talent level between the Football Bowl Subdivision and the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA).

“Every year, I see mismatches; these teams just can’t compete,” Bible said. “We’d be competing against Texas, (Texas) A&M and Baylor, as well as going after the same pool of athletes.”

Bible pointed out other issues as well, including TV revenue, attendance, expanded parking and a lack of street access to the stadium.

BigApp
April 24th, 2007, 10:46 AM

I definitely see the Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas Sun Belt schools teaming up with some of the CUSA Texus schools to start their own deal within 5 years or so. Sorta like a new Southwest Conference.

TexasTerror
April 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I definitely see the Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas Sun Belt schools teaming up with some of the CUSA Texus schools to start their own deal within 5 years or so. Sorta like a new Southwestern Conference.

I would love for the Southwest Conference to return!

The thing is, I think a few of the possible additions think they are a bit bigger than their britches and have higher aspirations than a regional conference like a new SWC...

BigApp
April 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM
you're right. but I think that would be a fantastic conference if it happened. Geographically, it works well. TxState would definitely hold their own too, IMHO.

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM
A bit more on that group known as 'Div I by June 1'...

Apparently they are like Bailiff (see recent comments about Div I foes coming to San Marcos) and don't realize what kind of program they have in San Marcos...

http://d1june1.com/id9.html

Fresno St. Alum
May 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Let us know when it does or doesn't go down.

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM

It's not going to happen by June 1st. There's no possible way...

It will be interesting to see how things mount towards June 1st by those who are pushing the issue in the Bobcat community about signing on the doted line...

PantherRob82
May 4th, 2007, 06:22 PM
That would be too bad. Hope it goes ok for them if it happens.

Fresno St. Alum
May 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM
but can they announce it on June 1, yes they will and then say we will wait till 2008 to move? If they say no then that could be done by June 1.

slycat
May 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM

the President of the school already said it wont happen by june 1st. not enough time to look everything over and do it right.

all i know is its getting hard to read all the garbage its creating on bobcatfans. just about everyone supports the move and makes up crap about how all our problems will be solved if we move up.xrolleyesx

the the about us section of d1june.com it says that the people behind the website have multimillions of dollars ready to donate if the move happens and they have already had talks with the AD and President.

things will get interesting in san marcos thats for sure.

ucdtim17
May 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Do the proponents of this move want to move up with or without a conference? Are they hoping to get a Sun Belt invite if CUSA doesn't come knocking (which doesn't seem likely)? Do they prefer the Sun Belt to the SLC?

patssle
May 4th, 2007, 08:33 PM
all i know is its getting hard to read all the garbage its creating on bobcatfans.

I liked to read ya'lls messageboard because it was active and it had good info on it with a different perspective.

now I find myself going to it less and less because 9 out of 10 threads, LITERALLY, are about FBS or something relating to the move to it.

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Do the proponents of this move want to move up with or without a conference? Are they hoping to get a Sun Belt invite if CUSA doesn't come knocking (which doesn't seem likely)? Do they prefer the Sun Belt to the SLC?

The schedule which the leaders of the movement are throwing around is a C-USA schedule. I'm not sure how the Bobcats would get into C-USA, but the AD has been adamant that any move would also mean the Bobcats have found a conference willing to take them in...

IMO, the SLC is equal, if not better than the Sun Belt. I find it hard to believe that the fans of San Marcos would get more riled up about playing Florida International as they would playing Sam Houston State.

The only benefit of the Sun Belt is more games against the elite of FBS (probably -- all on the road or at the very least, every now and then at a neutral site like the Alamodome) and a shot at the lowest rung bowl in the lot (R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl). Athletically, the Sun Belt isn't much better in the SLC in any sport with the SLC getting the nod in some sports.

UTSA, if they get football -- would have a better shot at C-USA due to market.

slycat
May 4th, 2007, 11:08 PM

people on bobcatfans say sunbelt is better because its FBS. to quote one fan "i'd rather lose there then lose in the slc". great support.xrolleyesx their theory is that by being FBS even if its the sunbelt, we will have more national recognition.

i say nothing like getting the kind of recognition that teams like FIU and others get.xrolleyesx

they say we play no name teams from LA in the slc. but im sure just as many people have heard of LA-Lafayette.

slycat
May 4th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I liked to read ya'lls messageboard because it was active and it had good info on it with a different perspective.

now I find myself going to it less and less because 9 out of 10 threads, LITERALLY, are about FBS or something relating to the move to it.

thats why i liked it. but i agree its getting tough to dig through FBS threads to get to good stuff.

katfans is good but not as active.

aswedc
May 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Go on any FBS board, you will see they respect Sun Belt teams more than FCS schools. Sorry FCS fans, but that is reality. A move to the Sun Belt would result in increased visibility and reputation.

Appstate29
May 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I know this has little to do with the final decision, but I'd really like to see schools do something in the division they are in before they move up.

BigApp
May 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM
It's not going to happen by June 1st. There's no possible way...

why not? all they're asking for is to have the paperwork signed by June 1st, not move up June 1st.

youwouldno
May 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Go on any FBS board, you will see they respect Sun Belt teams more than FCS schools. Sorry FCS fans, but that is reality. A move to the Sun Belt would result in increased visibility and reputation.

No they don't. Maybe mid-major fans, but not major conference programs. When Troy played Florida St close, I was hanging out with a bunch of Florida fans and, trust me, Troy was not granted any more respect than an FCS team would be.

TexasTerror
May 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM
why not? all they're asking for is to have the paperwork signed by June 1st, not move up June 1st.

The institution's lead folks have pretty much stated they will not move to FBS unless they have a conference. I'm not seeing a conference going out of their way to make such a decision especially when the institution in question, and the fans will agree, need to commit to upgrading facilities (starting with baseball/softball -- before even touching football)...

ucdtim17
May 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM
95% of college football fans probably can't tell you the difference between middle tennessee and eastern kentucky

rufus
May 6th, 2007, 02:45 PM
95% of college football fans probably can't tell you the difference between middle tennessee and eastern kentucky
I think 95% might be a bit high, but I could believe 50%+. How many fans could tell you the difference between Boise State and Eastern Kentucky though? How about Marshall and Eastern Kentucky? Maybe Nevada and Eastern Kentucky? Most schools that have made the move to FBS still exist in relative obscurity, but the exceptions continue to entice schools like Texas State to consider the move.

I work for a large international consulting firm, and I see a parallel between my industry and FBS. For the most part the job is crap, but there are more or less an endless stream of college grads and experienced hires lining up for the opportunity to work 80 hour weeks, travel 80% of the time, and more or less give up their social lives for pay that is only marginally better than a 45 hour a week job in industry. Why? Because roughly 1 in a 100 eventually make it to partner. And if you make it, you've basically hit the lottery.

Making partner or becoming a Boise State is probably a pipe dream, but people are never going to stop trying.

PantherRob82
May 6th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Making partner or becoming a Boise State is probably a pipe dream, but people are never going to stop trying.

Well said.

Fresno St. Alum
May 6th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know if the Sun Belt commish is even interested in Texas St. if they move to the FBS? They have a solid 9 for football but a crappy 13 for other sports.

slycat
May 6th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know if the Sun Belt commish is even interested in Texas St. if the move to the FBS? They have a solid 9 for football but a crappy 13 for other sports.

who the heck knows. according to posters on bobcatfans the sunbelt and cusa are interested in us. but once again when i ask for sources they clam up.

paytonlives
May 6th, 2007, 10:02 PM
In Texas with the likes of UT, A&M, Rice, Baylor, TCU, Houston, Ect, ect.

Texas State is not even a fly on the radar screen. I hope they move up, atleast then they will be able to play those teams.

patssle
May 6th, 2007, 11:14 PM
In Texas with the likes of UT, A&M, Rice, Baylor, TCU, Houston, Ect, ect.

Let's restate that.

In Texas with the likes of UT, A&M, and Texas Tech, everything is not even a fly on the radar screen. ;)

Fresno St. Alum
May 6th, 2007, 11:19 PM
who the heck knows. according to posters on bobcatfans the sunbelt and cusa are interested in us. but once again when i ask for sources they clam up.
The commish of the Sun Belt has an ask the commish section every month. I wonder if he'd be willing to answer that one.

CollegeSportsInfo
May 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I think this is a win-win for all involved...

Pres/AD - gets the community, students and alums off their back. Allows for them to seriously put together the facts and figures related to an FBS move -- which could show them the truth on how plausible it is to move. It also gets the $$$ coming into the athletic department as people want to show they are supporting the cause.

Student Leaders - they had been pushing for this. They'll declare it a victory and will lay off the President and AD atleast until a study comes out as the study will show them what they need.

Fans, Community, Etc - All they talk about is FBS this and FBS that. Atleast they know the school is looking into it and this will get them digging in their pockets to support Bobcat athletics, something they love to do anyway, but have been questioning the TXST athletic administration. They'll clamor that the pressure they put on was the reason this study is going to happen, so that'll make them happy.

Agreed. There have been a number of supporters of the program who have pushed for first the name change and now an upgrade, dating back into the 90's. A task force will put the numbers on the table. If an upgrade were to happen, I would think that the Sunbelt would be willing to bring TSU on board, making for a nice rivalry with North Texas. Should anything happen with CUSA, TSU could find a home their with the other Texas schools.

youwouldno
May 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I think 95% might be a bit high, but I could believe 50%+. How many fans could tell you the difference between Boise State and Eastern Kentucky though? How about Marshall and Eastern Kentucky? Maybe Nevada and Eastern Kentucky? Most schools that have made the move to FBS still exist in relative obscurity, but the exceptions continue to entice schools like Texas State to consider the move.

I work for a large international consulting firm, and I see a parallel between my industry and FBS. For the most part the job is crap, but there are more or less an endless stream of college grads and experienced hires lining up for the opportunity to work 80 hour weeks, travel 80% of the time, and more or less give up their social lives for pay that is only marginally better than a 45 hour a week job in industry. Why? Because roughly 1 in a 100 eventually make it to partner. And if you make it, you've basically hit the lottery.

Interestingly, the legal field seems to be going the other way of late, fewer people trying for partner, even though at a big firm it means infinite money. The lottery, even a 25% lottery, isn't necessarily the best path to take. With football, fans are behind it because they aren't on the line. What's the worst that can happen to them, as fans? Nothing.

And keep in mind, Boise St still gets no respect from a lot of major conference fans. I've never heard one SEC fan offer anything other than ridicule with regard to Boise. Big 12 fans think, correctly, that the game was a fluke. And that's the pinnacle of mid-major football achievement in FBS.

Texas St in particular... we're talking 1 in 10 million here. At least with App St it might be 1 in 50,000.

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Why was Boise's beating of Oklahoma a Fluke?

youwouldno
May 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Oklahoma was a better team. They blew it. Upsets happen in football.

ucdtim17
May 7th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't give one **** what SEC or Big XII fans think if I were Boise. That game was one for the ages

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Oklahoma was a better team. They blew it. Upsets happen in football.

CORRECTION: Oklahoma was a better collection of individual talent. Boise St. was the better team.

Sure, upsets happen, but I don't think it was as big of an upset as many people think. Neither team manhandled each other on the line (often cited as a big difference in levels of football), both teams showed athleticism at the skill positions - QB, RB, WR. Only heading into OT did Boise look weak, tired, and showed that they were not used to that level of play every week (a statement more about the WAC than Boise St. itself). They adapted and brought out all the tricks as an equalizer. In the end, coaching and player execution won the game for Boise.

Not a fluke. A well-coached, intense, determined team showing how 11 players playing together as one unit cannot be defeated. xbowx

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM
CORRECTION: Oklahoma was a better collection of individual talent. Boise St. was the better team.

Sure, upsets happen, but I don't think it was as big of an upset as many people think. Neither team manhandled each other on the line (often cited as a big difference in levels of football), both teams showed athleticism at the skill positions - QB, RB, WR. Only heading into OT did Boise look weak, tired, and showed that they were not used to that level of play every week (a statement more about the WAC than Boise St. itself). They adapted and brought out all the tricks as an equalizer. In the end, coaching and player execution won the game for Boise.

Not a fluke. A well-coached, intense, determined team showing how 11 players playing together as one unit cannot be defeated. xbowx
xthumbsupx

Agree 100% with that assessment.

BigApp
May 7th, 2007, 04:12 PM
The institution's lead folks have pretty much stated they will not move to FBS unless they have a conference. I'm not seeing a conference going out of their way to make such a decision especially when the institution in question, and the fans will agree, need to commit to upgrading facilities (starting with baseball/softball -- before even touching football)...

OK, I get what you mean xthumbsupx

TheBisonator
May 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Interestingly, the legal field seems to be going the other way of late, fewer people trying for partner, even though at a big firm it means infinite money. The lottery, even a 25% lottery, isn't necessarily the best path to take. With football, fans are behind it because they aren't on the line. What's the worst that can happen to them, as fans? Nothing.

And keep in mind, Boise St still gets no respect from a lot of major conference fans. I've never heard one SEC fan offer anything other than ridicule with regard to Boise. Big 12 fans think, correctly, that the game was a fluke. And that's the pinnacle of mid-major football achievement in FBS.

Texas St in particular... we're talking 1 in 10 million here. At least with App St it might be 1 in 50,000.

Somebody posted a little while back the four key things a college team needs to have to make a name for themselves in the FBS moving from the FCS. I think a couple of them were being at least one of the two biggest universities in their state, and the size of the community it's located in, I think. I wish I could pull up that thread, but it was a very good observation as to why teams like Boise State, Connecticut and Marshall have succeeded, and why UL-Monroe and Florida International/Atlantic haven't.

slycat
May 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM
here is more on the move from the people outside pushing for it.

this is the plan as told by d1june1.com

http://d1june1.com/id10.html

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Copied from the above plan...

"By reclassifying the football program as a member of the Football Bowl Subdivision we will gain access to the opportunity to compete for coveted bowl money and one day the national championship."

Since when did FBS have a national championship? You guys were closer to the national championship in 2005 than you ever will be if you play in FBS, where they lack a national champion.

laxVik
May 19th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Oklahoma was a better team. They blew it. Upsets happen in football.How so? They lost. Better teams win, not lose.

slycat
May 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Copied from the above plan...

"By reclassifying the football program as a member of the Football Bowl Subdivision we will gain access to the opportunity to compete for coveted bowl money and one day the national championship."

Since when did FBS have a national championship? You guys were closer to the national championship in 2005 than you ever will be if you play in FBS, where they lack a national champion.

this is how people outside the FCS following think of football though and the reason for the move up.

the other error in the report is that it states our attendence for last year was 13500. in reality, according to our athletics website, it was 12800 or so.

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Another error...

"We know of no schools that failed in their attempt to move from Football Championship Subdivision to Football Bowl Subdivision."

Florida A&M announced a move to FBS and were really close to getting it done, but failed and now are still in the MEAC...

slycat
May 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM
i will give them credit for coming up with a plan and laying it out for the school and regents. a lot of effort was put into this plan. it will be interesting to see the reaction from the school and regents.

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM
i will give them credit for coming up with a plan and laying it out for the school and regents. a lot of effort was put into this plan. it will be interesting to see the reaction from the school and regents.

Regents already met this past week (see your recently approved scoreboards and Rec Center addition). Apparently, Angelo State's departure took up a fair share of the meetings as the Board of Regents rejected anything with Angelo State's name on it -- freezing up projects and everything for them. Not sure you'll get their blessing on this move in time...

I still question what the impact of a TXST move to FBS or a Lamar return to football would have on the other institution...if any. It may not, but the TSUS is a very strange place to do business nowadays...

slycat
May 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Regents already met this past week (see your recently approved scoreboards and Rec Center addition). Apparently, Angelo State's departure took up a fair share of the meetings as the Board of Regents rejected anything with Angelo State's name on it -- freezing up projects and everything for them. Not sure you'll get their blessing on this move in time...

I still question what the impact of a TXST move to FBS or a Lamar return to football would have on the other institution...if any. It may not, but the TSUS is a very strange place to do business nowadays...

thats right so i guess they didnt have much to say about the matter. im interested to see what the school will say if anything when the June 1st deadline is reached.

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Article from the San Marcos Daily Record on this subject matter...

DI by JI states its case to regents

Group wants Texas State to move up to Football Bowl Subdivision
By Bart Isley
Daily Record Sports

The recently created Division I by June I (DI by JI) movement took another step towards getting their message heard when representatives of the committee stepped in front of the Texas State University System Board of Regents on Friday.

Robert Doerr, a former Texas State Associated Student Government president who was a leader in the movement to change Southwest Texas State’s name to Texas State, represented the group in front of the Board of Regents.

Outgoing ASG president Kyle Morris introduced Doerr and expressed his support for the movement. Doerr then gave a short presentation on the movement’s comprehensive plan for a move up.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/local_story_139200507.html

PantherRob82
May 21st, 2007, 06:22 PM
Nothing will really be done by June 1st, will it?

Fresno St. Alum
May 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM
The group is only talking C-USA. How disappointed are they gonna be when they only get a Sun Belt invite? Texas St. better pray for a conference split

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Nothing will really be done by June 1st, will it?

Not at all. Regents showed no true interest at the meetings last week. The committee that has a major say in this on campus meets this week, but I think it's not realistic to make this move now. They could announce it in the next few months that they'll make the move by the June 1, 2008 deadline which is more reasonable. There is a lot more work than a 40 page proposal done by the student government 'old age home' as I call it.

Funny enough...at a meeting when Angelo State was working their way out of the Texas State University System (thanks to the Legislature), the group bringing forth the proposal was represented by another individual that slighted the system -- Robert Doerr, the leader of the Southwest Texas name change -- who ignored the wishes of both the system and the school to get the name change. That probably didn't sit well with the system, but then again, Doerr has no regard for anyone, but himself.

Fresno St. Alum
May 21st, 2007, 08:37 PM
TT, Is this just a matter of when they move? It's just gonna be announced in 2008 instead of 2007 or is there still a Big If involved?

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM
TT, Is this just a matter of when they move? It's just gonna be announced in 2008 instead of 2007 or is there still a Big If involved?

I think they will eventually make the move. Whether it is the wrong move or not, is beyond me. I think a few things need to occur for them to make the move and it really does begin with that baseball/softball complex.

Their AD said it would take five years to get it done. Do they really need to use a football move to FBS as a vehicle to get it done? Or do they have a committed fan base and administration to really get that job done now? That just seems like such a vital piece to their FBS puzzle. The rest of their facilities could probably get by for C-USA (outside of football) if they would just deal with baseball/softball. Those teams could be competitive, but a nice baseball/softball complex would put them over the hump...

bobcatalum05
May 21st, 2007, 09:44 PM
Not at all. Regents showed no true interest at the meetings last week. The committee that has a major say in this on campus meets this week, but I think it's not realistic to make this move now. They could announce it in the next few months that they'll make the move by the June 1, 2008 deadline which is more reasonable. There is a lot more work than a 40 page proposal done by the student government 'old age home' as I call it.

Funny enough...at a meeting when Angelo State was working their way out of the Texas State University System (thanks to the Legislature), the group bringing forth the proposal was represented by another individual that slighted the system -- Robert Doerr, the leader of the Southwest Texas name change -- who ignored the wishes of both the system and the school to get the name change. That probably didn't sit well with the system, but then again, Doerr has no regard for anyone, but himself.

Your constant attacks of Texas State's current and former ASG Presidents is getting a little old. Robert Doerr did what was best for TXST in the long run, if that effected SHSU I am not sure. But he did what was best for TXST, his alma mater, as I am sure you would do for your's.

SHSU will be keeping their name and TXST got what it needed to take the University to the next level. Why are you so upset about TXST changing their name? Robert did what he had to do to get things done, thats life. Is it because it elevated the perception of TXST? Are you against TXST living up to its potential?

I already know your answer, " Robert Doerr, Chris Jones, and Kyle Morris only care about whats best for themselves. " Texas Terror, that doesnt hold water. Maybe they have done whats best for TXST, but it definetly was not for self promotion.

I respect your opinion on almost every matter, but not this one.

This might be my first strike, but its worth it. If Texas Terror is going to run around message boards trashing every TXST ASG president for the last five years I might as well be able to defend them.

Appstate29
May 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM
Another error...

"We know of no schools that failed in their attempt to move from Football Championship Subdivision to Football Bowl Subdivision."

Florida A&M announced a move to FBS and were really close to getting it done, but failed and now are still in the MEAC...

depends on what your definition of failure is...

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Like all dynasties, they must eventually come to an end. The group that supported and was the last few student leaders, who had no respect for anyone, whether it the University President or the Board of Regents, had their little streak come to an end with this past election -- perhaps growing a bit too big for their britches (which some may say is exactly like those who push for TXST's desires of going FBS).

The MAP (that's the political action committee featuring all the folks from the student government who are very involved in the happenings of everything TXST) got old pretty quickly and it seems like the new representatives don't have the marionette strings tied to their back that the last few have had. They may have campaigned on the FBS move, but I do not think they'll really jump the gun, going around the back of all (similar to actions in 2003) to get it done.

I'll give credit where credit is due. Those meshugana actually did bring about a fair share of change -- some positive, some negative, some just out of this world -- though whether they did so in proper manner, is something that will forever be in question (i.e Doerr/Fischer being buddy-buddy with the NCAA violator/name change backer extraordinare, Manny Mataskis).

Then again, if TxSt had this great perception, they would have been flagship of our system and on the 'same level' with A&M and Tech as Mr Doerr claimed in the fishwrap, the San Marcos Daily Record.

Unfortunately, SHSU, even with this 'perception' in place, is even more selective than their counterparts in San Marcos and even Kyle Morris will tell you that SHSU is ahead as far as the all important research and graduate program categories go. Throw in three consecutive Commish Cup and athletically, the institution down the road in Huntsville seems to be doing just alright! xreadx

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2007, 10:05 PM
depends on what your definition of failure is...

Florida A&M began the transition and couldn't get the job done. They were as good as gone from the MEAC and crawled back into the friendly confines of the FCS conference...

813Jag
May 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
Florida A&M began the transition and couldn't get the job done. They were as good as gone from the MEAC and crawled back into the friendly confines of the FCS conference...
It was more administration issues and non compliance that did them in.

slycat
May 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Like all dynasties, they must eventually come to an end. The group that supported and was the last few student leaders, who had no respect for anyone, whether it the University President or the Board of Regents, had their little streak come to an end with this past election -- perhaps growing a bit too big for their britches (which some may say is exactly like those who push for TXST's desires of going FBS).

The MAP (that's the political action committee featuring all the folks from the student government who are very involved in the happenings of everything TXST) got old pretty quickly and it seems like the new representatives don't have the marionette strings tied to their back that the last few have had. They may have campaigned on the FBS move, but I do not think they'll really jump the gun, going around the back of all (similar to actions in 2003) to get it done.

I'll give credit where credit is due. Those meshugana actually did bring about a fair share of change -- some positive, some negative, some just out of this world -- though whether they did so in proper manner, is something that will forever be in question (i.e Doerr/Fischer being buddy-buddy with the NCAA violator/name change backer extraordinare, Manny Mataskis).

Then again, if TxSt had this great perception, they would have been flagship of our system and on the 'same level' with A&M and Tech as Mr Doerr claimed in the fishwrap, the San Marcos Daily Record.

Unfortunately, SHSU, even with this 'perception' in place, is even more selective than their counterparts in San Marcos and even Kyle Morris will tell you that SHSU is ahead as far as the all important research and graduate program categories go. Throw in three consecutive Commish Cup and athletically, the institution down the road in Huntsville seems to be doing just alright! xreadx

no your not. we have higher admission standards then yall do.
http://www.shsu.edu/~adm_www/requirements/freshman.html
http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/_undergrad/Rqrments_freshman.htm

as far as research is concered who knows. i would have to say it depends on the field. yall have a strong criminal justice program and we have a strong geography department. all i know is i had a professor who had the third biggest discovery of 2005 according to Science magazine, he was doing some great research and brought more in.
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/310/5756/1880a

Mountaineer
May 21st, 2007, 11:33 PM
yall have a strong criminal justice program and we have a strong geography department.

Hey slycat - were you in the Tex State Geo department? If so - how was Dr. Suckling doing as chair? xthumbsupx :D

Fresno St. Alum
May 22nd, 2007, 12:04 AM
It was more administration issues and non compliance that did them in.

FAMU had 120 rules violations xeekx xeekx

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 12:19 AM
FAMU had 120 rules violations xeekx xeekx

geez, that's rediculous.

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 12:19 AM
I'd like to see Texas State stay. Would be nice for a SLC team to establish some sort of run in the playoffs.

TXST_CAT
May 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM
no your not. we have higher admission standards then yall do.
http://www.shsu.edu/~adm_www/requirements/freshman.html
http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/_undergrad/Rqrments_freshman.htm

as far as research is concered who knows. i would have to say it depends on the field. yall have a strong criminal justice program and we have a strong geography department. all i know is i had a professor who had the third biggest discovery of 2005 according to Science magazine, he was doing some great research and brought more in.
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/310/5756/1880a

Don't forget these links as well
http://talbot.mrp.txstate.edu/currents/fullstory.jsp?sid=820

Texas State continues rise in U.S. News college rankings

Posted by: Jayme Blaschke
Date: 2006-08-18

Texas State University-San Marcos is continuing its rise in the rankings of America's Best Colleges, according to a report released today by U.S. News & World Report.

For the second consecutive year, Texas State was ranked in the top tier of master's universities in the 15-state Western Region of the U.S. News ranking system.
And
http://talbot.mrp.txstate.edu/currents/fullstory.jsp?sid=707

Texas State named among America's Best Value Colleges

Posted by: Jayme Blaschke
Date: 2006-03-28

Texas State University-San Marcos has been named by the Princeton Review as one of America's Best Value Colleges for 2007.

The list ranks the top 150 public and private institutions nation-wide, placing Texas State in elite company. Texas State joins just three other Texas universities on the list: Rice University in Houston, Texas A&M University in College Station and the University of Texas in Austin.xpeacex

TXST_CAT
May 22nd, 2007, 01:38 AM
Making the Grade
Texas State leads CoSIDA District VI with five all-academic selections

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110906aac.html

Nov. 9, 2006

SAN MARCOS - Headed by repeat first-team selection Walter Musgrove, Texas State University had five student-athletes named to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District VI University Division Football Team. Joining Musgrove on the all-academic squad released Thursday were teammates Chase Wasson, Blake Burton, Buck Koalenz and Nate Langford.

The Academic All-District VI University Division Team is made up of 24 student-athletes representing NCAA Division I institutions in the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. The team was selected by the district membership of the College Sports Information Directors of America.

All eight district teams were released on Thursday and Texas State leads the nation with five district selections. Harvard University placed four student-athletes on the District I University Division Team while Ohio State University was represented by four student-athletes on the District IV University Division First-Team.

ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District VI University Team
P Daniel Sepulveda, Baylor
QB Paul Smith, Tulsa
WR Chase Wasson, Texas State
WR Todd Walker, Texas Tech
WR Grant Walker, Texas Tech
TE Nick Cleaver, New Mexico State
RB Blake Burton, Texas State
OL Mike Mengers, Tulsa
OL Vince Natali, New Mexico
OL Cody Wallace, Texas A&M
OL Buck Koalenz, Texas State
OL Stephen Daigle, Southern Miss
PK Chris Manfredini, TCU
DB Biobele Bilaye-Benibo, Rice
DB Walter Musgrove, Texas State
DB Trumaine McBride, Mississippi
DB Brant Linde, McNeese State
LB Wade Koehl, Houston
LB Cody Kase, New Mexico
LB Brock Stratton, Texas Tech
DL Darnell Smith, Oklahoma State
DL Carl Pendleton, Oklahoma
DL Aaron Ivey, Sam Houston State
DL Nate Langford, Texas State

TXST_CAT
May 22nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
Oak Farms Dairy, Texas State Honor 179 Student-Athletes
http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/genrel/042607aac.html
Griffin, Musgrove receive post-graduate scholarships

April 26, 2007

SAN MARCOS - Texas State senior volleyball standout Karry Griffin was awarded the Jean Smith Outstanding Female Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship and also shared the university's inaugural Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year honor during the 13th Annual Oak Farms Dairy Academic Awards ceremony held Thursday.

Walter Musgrove, who was recognized earlier this year as the Southland Conference Student-Athlete of the Year, was the recipient of the first Bill Miller Outstanding Male Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship.

Griffin carries a 3.78 grade point average and will graduate with a degree in marketing. She was named Honorable Mention All-Southland Conference after helping the Bobcats to a 15-17 record, including a 10-6 mark in Southland Conference play. She played in 31 of Texas State's 32 matches, seeing action in 112 games during the season.