PDA

View Full Version : Spring Ball Over - any impressions or surprises for MVFC teams

Redbird 4th & short
April 18th, 2019, 03:37 PM
ISUr just finished their spring ball with a scrimmage last saturday. General impressions have not changed much.

Offense... we are expecting much more consistency for QB Davis now that he had a full offseason with team .. hard to jump into mix coming over in summer. With SR RB Robinson getting a pass from regular contact this spring (not a fan of this, but oh well), new back to replace Markel Smith is Jeff Proctor. Where Smith was a big grinding and punishing RB, Proctor is 5'8" and 180 lbs ... very quick and tough. He will give us an exciting new dimension on offense. He can beat you with quicks/speed and is hard to bring down. He is clear #2 and going to be a good one and will start after Robinson leaves. Our young WR group looks "promising" for first time in a while, but remain completely unproven. As QB Davis goes, so will we go ... need more accuracy from him this fall than last. We get that from him, we will be a factor .. that and stay relatively healthy,

Defense ... still very optimistic, love our big young DL, like our LB group (also big, hoping for little more speed this year), and love our DB group. We were very close 2nd in MVFC defense behind NDSU last season and lost very little. Our DL was all RS FR and SO a year ago, lost just 1 SR from our 2 deep ... high hopes in the trenches as these guys mature.

Special teams ... should be good enough everywhere, except big question at place kicker ... please keep this between us !!! xthumbsupx Our return game could be special this year .. but we'll see who gets the reps.

Would love to hear others thoughts on their MVFC teams .. or even if you are perenniel playoff team.

BisonFan02
April 19th, 2019, 10:51 PM
NDSU has numerous players at the QB position....dont know if any of them can play or manage the O.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 20th, 2019, 01:32 PM
NDSU will be fine. There will be some growing pains but if the rest of the FCS was thinking the Bison will be down are mistaken.

Trey Lance will be the QB in '19.

For NDSU it starts in the trenches and both lines will be very good.

BisonFan02
April 20th, 2019, 10:39 PM
NDSU will be fine. There will be some growing pains but if the rest of the FCS was thinking the Bison will be down are mistaken.

Trey Lance will be the QB in '19.

For NDSU it starts in the trenches and both lines will be very good.

Fine is a 3 or 4 loss team playing in the first round....which is about my guess for this squad.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 21st, 2019, 10:20 AM
Fine is a 3 or 4 loss team playing in the first round....which is about my guess for this squad.

4 losses? Doubt it.

This team will have some growing pains but no one in the Valley is loaded coming back in '19. Non-conference will go 4-0.....Delaware might keep it close for awhile at home but no other team in the OCC schedule gives me any reservations. Davis plays no defense and UND is installing a new offense....good luck in Fargo with that....xlolx Butler? 49-0 at halftime in this one.

Conference schedule is the usual. SDSU/UNI/Ill State/YSU will play us tough as they usually do. A good start and foundation of build on is that both lines will be very good.

Kemo
April 21st, 2019, 11:47 AM
The competition to replace Taryn Christion will be going into fall with the starter unnamed. It's a 3 horse race at the moment between Curt Walding (JR - transfer from AZ St), J'Bore Gibbs (RS FR), and Matt Connors (RS FR) as spring ball has concluded, with all three showing promise but none separating them self from the pack, either.

Gibbs would be who I'd put money on to win the starting job, as he was highly touted coming out of HS and is a grown-ass man out there even as a RS-Freshman. Had a nice spring game and will be pushed all off season to improve with the competition nipping at his heals.

Connors had the best spring game (IMO), but needs to put on some good weight, as he looks like a stick out there at 6'4". Throws a really catch-able ball and runs surprisingly well for a kid who struck me as more of a pocket passer than a duel threat. Will be at a slight disadvantage in this competition since he was a walk on, which makes a difference because coaches almost always give the money as much opportunity as possible to win the position battles to justify their investment. I think Connors has to show clear separation for him to named the starter out of fall camp since Gibbs just has the physical gifts that coaches want to see develop.

Walding looked solid, but didn't do anything spectacular either. Wouldn't shock me to see him win the job, but he'd be more of a safe choice rather than a game changer.

If SDSU has competent QB play, we'll likely be a contender this year with as much as we have coming back. The running backs and receiving corp are deep with talent and experience, and the offensive line should still be good, though they lost more to graduation and likely an injury (Wes Genent, last year's starting center, might be out for the year due to injury, which is a concern).

Defense loses soon-to-be NFL draft pick Jordan Brown (CB), but brings back almost every other major contributor. This should be a good year for them barring some major injuries.

BisonFan02
April 21st, 2019, 12:14 PM
The competition to replace Taryn Christion will be going into fall with the starter unnamed. It's a 3 horse race at the moment between Curt Walding (JR - transfer from AZ St), J'Bore Gibbs (RS FR), and Matt Connors (RS FR) as spring ball has concluded, with all three showing promise but none separating them self from the pack, either.

Gibbs would be who I'd put money on to win the starting job, as he was highly touted coming out of HS and is a grown-ass man out there even as a RS-Freshman. Had a nice spring game and will be pushed all off season to improve with the competition nipping at his heals.

Connors had the best spring game (IMO), but needs to put on some good weight, as he looks like a stick out there at 6'4". Throws a really catch-able ball and runs surprisingly well for a kid who struck me as more of a pocket passer than a duel threat. Will be at a slight disadvantage in this competition since he was a walk on, which makes a difference because coaches almost always give the money as much opportunity as possible to win the position battles to justify their investment. I think Connors has to show clear separation for him to named the starter out of fall camp since Gibbs just has the physical gifts that coaches want to see develop.

Walding looked solid, but didn't do anything spectacular either. Wouldn't shock me to see him win the job, but he'd be more of a safe choice rather than a game changer.

If SDSU has competent QB play, we'll likely be a contender this year with as much as we have coming back. The running backs and receiving corp are deep with talent and experience, and the offensive line should still be good, though they lost more to graduation and likely an injury (Wes Genent, last year's starting center, might be out for the year due to injury, which is a concern).

Defense loses soon-to-be NFL draft pick Jordan Brown (CB), but brings back almost every other major contributor. This should be a good year for them barring some major injuries.

You guys are my pick to win the Valley next year.

Redbird 4th & short
April 21st, 2019, 02:39 PM

SDSU has proven they reload better than anyone this decade, except the team to their "North" ... and spoiler alert, it is not the one that hits the weight room hard. Replacing Christion is a big lift, but that has been said about several of their studs the last 6 years.

I have no doubt SDSU will be top 3 in MVFC .. not a 100% lock, but stupid to prognosticate otherwise.

Right now, my top 3 is NDSU, SDSU, and my ISUr. But we need a solid year of QB play .. got to be more consistent than a year ago.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 21st, 2019, 02:57 PM
My top 4 right now:

NDSU
Ill State
SDSU
UNI

Paladin1aa
April 21st, 2019, 06:22 PM
I’ll agree with that. NDSU are the champs until beaten. Then, in no particular order, SDSU, Ill. St. and UNI are the top 4. After that, the next 4 are tougher to pick as the talent drops off and injuries may be a factor as to how they finish.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 21st, 2019, 07:21 PM
I’ll agree with that. NDSU are the champs until beaten. Then, in no particular order, SDSU, Ill. St. and UNI are the top 4. After that, the next 4 are tougher to pick as the talent drops off and injuries may be a factor as to how they finish.

I can almost guarantee that the YSU/NDSU game in Youngstown will be a one score game either way. Seems like they all are at YSU.

Seawolf97
April 21st, 2019, 07:26 PM
Stonybrooks Spring game is this Saturday 4/27 . No real news to report. The offensive backfield will be relatively new with a either Tyquel Fields or Jack Cassidy at QB. RB is will be Isiah White a senior at this position and Ty Shon Lawton . We al;so will have new linebackers and new DBs out there. The youth movement is evident and hopefully will not hurts us that much . We have brought at least 3 FBS transfers that should help including one from Ball State and one from Maryland on the defensive line.

F'N Hawks
April 22nd, 2019, 09:10 AM
Stonybrooks Spring game is this Saturday 4/27 . No real news to report. The offensive backfield will be relatively new with a either Tyquel Fields or Jack Cassidy at QB. RB is will be Isiah White a senior at this position and Ty Shon Lawton . We al;so will have new linebackers and new DBs out there. The youth movement is evident and hopefully will not hurts us that much . We have brought at least 3 FBS transfers that should help including one from Ball State and one from Maryland on the defensive line.

xconfusedx

Bisonator
April 22nd, 2019, 09:12 AM
Wasn't that your prediction a few years ago too? Who are the 3-4 losses to? Not saying it couldn't happen, at this point I have no idea what to make of this years team but they've proven to reload better then anyone. The coaching staff, especially the coordinators are the biggest question mark IMO.

Redbird 4th & short
April 22nd, 2019, 10:08 AM
Wasn't that your prediction a few years ago too? Who are the 3-4 losses to? Not saying it couldn't happen, at this point I have no idea what to make of this years team but they've proven to reload better then anyone. The coaching staff, especially the coordinators are the biggest question mark IMO.
He's sandbagging .. though I would not be surprised if Bison had 2 losses this year. Lot of similarities between 2013 and 2018 seasons, but for 1 big difference ... Carson Wentz is not waiting in the wings.

Bisonator
April 22nd, 2019, 10:18 AM
He's sandbagging .. though I would not be surprised if Bison had 2 losses this year. Lot of similarities between 2013 and 2018 seasons, but for 1 big difference ... Carson Wentz is not waiting in the wings.
Maybe not Carson Wentz but Trey Lance is gonna be good.

BisonFan02
April 22nd, 2019, 11:34 AM

Naw....I had some concerns "post 2013" but not as much as this year. You kinda knew Wentz was gonna be the guy and I had more confidence in Klieman than Entz....for now. Maybe not 4 losses, but I see at least 2 or 3 in year 1 under Entz.

Redbird 4th & short
April 22nd, 2019, 12:54 PM
xconfusedx
I opened thread up for playoff teams too .. since they are also of interest to me and presumably others. So I appreciate the post.

Still looking for keepratings.net to surface for 2019.

Redbird 4th & short
April 23rd, 2019, 03:07 PM
Maybe not Carson Wentz but Trey Lance is gonna be good.

here's hoping "gonna" refers to after game 5

achrist70
April 24th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Naw....I had some concerns "post 2013" but not as much as this year. You kinda knew Wentz was gonna be the guy and I had more confidence in Klieman than Entz....for now. Maybe not 4 losses, but I see at least 2 or 3 in year 1 under Entz.

This is a very key point, I think any UNI fan knew when Klieman left it was a huge loss and he would do great things at NDSU, I really don't think the same can be said for Entz, it'll be very interesting to where the program is at in 5 years, will NDSU still be good, yes, but I don't see Entz having much chance of maintaining what Klieman did for the Bison.

Professor Chaos
April 24th, 2019, 09:25 AM
For NDSU Trey Lance is not going to be Carson Wentz but he won't have to be for the Bison to remain as top contenders for the MVFC and national title. I think a differentiator for this team compared to the 2014 team is depth especially on the defensive side of the ball. In 2014 they played their defensive studs so much that by the time the playoffs rolled around they were a shell of the defense from earlier in the season. This year they may be a little light at LB but beyond they're rock solid on defense and most position groups have depth to boot. For me the question marks are all on the offensive side of the ball. Beyond QB they need to find a playmaking pass catcher on the outside and shore up the interior O-line after losses to graduation. They've also got a young first-time OC as well so there will probably be some growing pains offensively.

That said I'd be just as surprised to see them lose 4 games as I would be to see them go unbeaten again. I'd guess there will be one or two regular season losses and then a deep playoff run is dependent on injuries and how the team rounds into (or out of) shape throughout the latter part of the regular season.

NEBison
April 24th, 2019, 10:30 AM
This is a very key point, I think any UNI fan knew when Klieman left it was a huge loss and he would do great things at NDSU, I really don't think the same can be said for Entz, it'll be very interesting to where the program is at in 5 years, will NDSU still be good, yes, but I don't see Entz having much chance of maintaining what Klieman did for the Bison.

You might be right but it seems like you are just hoping that's what will happen without much reasoning.

BisonFan02
April 24th, 2019, 03:37 PM
For NDSU Trey Lance is not going to be Carson Wentz but he won't have to be for the Bison to remain as top contenders for the MVFC and national title. I think a differentiator for this team compared to the 2014 team is depth especially on the defensive side of the ball. In 2014 they played their defensive studs so much that by the time the playoffs rolled around they were a shell of the defense from earlier in the season. This year they may be a little light at LB but beyond they're rock solid on defense and most position groups have depth to boot. For me the question marks are all on the offensive side of the ball. Beyond QB they need to find a playmaking pass catcher on the outside and shore up the interior O-line after losses to graduation. They've also got a young first-time OC as well so there will probably be some growing pains offensively.

That said I'd be just as surprised to see them lose 4 games as I would be to see them go unbeaten again. I'd guess there will be one or two regular season losses and then a deep playoff run is dependent on injuries and how the team rounds into (or out of) shape throughout the latter part of the regular season.

Trey Lance doesn't have to be Wentz....he just cant be Mohler.

Evolution Prime
April 24th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Trey Lance doesn't have to be Wentz....he just cant be Mohler.

Fine, he can be Nick Mertens.

Redbird 4th & short
April 24th, 2019, 05:21 PM
You might be right but it seems like you are just hoping that's what will happen without much reasoning.
it's spring .. hope springs eternal ... please don't take this away from us until we play the actual games !!

Bisonoline
April 24th, 2019, 06:03 PM
Fine, he can be Nick Mertens.

I wouldnt mind Mertens at all.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2019, 06:29 PM
I wouldnt mind Mertens at all.

This here.

Mertens was a stud but the coaching staff didn't have a clue how to use him.

Bisonoline
April 24th, 2019, 06:41 PM
This here.

Mertens was a stud but the coaching staff didn't have a clue how to use him.

They knew how to use him but they had NO back ups. Mertens strength was in his legs and feet. He could make things happen. He wasnt a pocket QB.
So they actually hamstrung him because we had no body to take over if he got hurt. He was a product of bad timing. I really feel bad for him. He deserved better.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2019, 07:13 PM
They knew how to use him but they had NO back ups. Mertens strength was in his legs and feet. He could make things happen. He wasnt a pocket QB.
So they actually hamstrung him because we had no body to take over if he got hurt. He was a product of bad timing. I really feel bad for him. He deserved better.

They should have ran him. The kid was a beast running the ball. Mohler was a joke for a backup.

He lost confidence that season and who could blame him.

From what I've heard from spring ball, it is Trey's job to lose. No QB is polished coming in right away throwing the ball but his upside if huge.

PantherRob82
April 24th, 2019, 09:10 PM
I know everyone will be surprised, but the Panthers will rotate seven quarterbacks this year.

centennial
April 25th, 2019, 03:54 AM
I know everyone will be surprised, but the Panthers will rotate seven quarterbacks this year.

One quarterback every game. The best 2 rotate the rest of the season.

Bisonator
April 25th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Only 7? WTF!

ST_Lawson
April 25th, 2019, 08:05 AM
it's spring .. hope springs eternal ... please don't take this away from us until we play the actual games !!

Same....same.

I don't really have any idea how this year is going to pan out. Our QB Sampson has looked promising at times, but has very minimal playing time. Got some transfers that seem like they could be good...but nobody really knows much at this point.

Redbird 4th & short
April 25th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Only 7? WTF!

ISUr has had just 2 QBs on the entire roster all spring. We get 2 true FR added to roster this summer. We do have a QB turned RB turned Safety that could probably get ready in a pinch (Hatfield), because he really wanted to play QB .. but Spack has always envisioned him as Safety ... so this year, Hatfield is Safety. Irronically because previous QB turned Safety Broadnax ... one start at QB against SDSU at end of 2017, and was moved to Safety in 2018 .. and quit the program after season.

As good as we are at finding RBs, our track record recruiting HS QBs is abymsal in Spack regime. He recruits pretty well everywhere else, but since 2009, Spack has had just 1 HS QB play all 4/5 years at QB and play QB as a senior .. and that was Kolbe, who lost his starting poisition as a senior to transfer QB Davis. So only 1 has even played QB as a senior, and that one was demoted. In all brutal honest, it is the reason we flirt with top 10 almost every year since 2016, but always fall short ... lack of consistency in pass game to take pressure of run game.

FYI, Spack inherited Matt Brown in 2009. Roberson was a 2014 transfer, and now so is Davis. Note, Davis did get a medical redshirt for an injured seasin at Memphis. .. so he was a "demoted" a class a few weeks ago and will be a JR this fall. Give our QB depth situation, that was huge relief for Redbird Nation. Now we have to keep him healthy.

The carousel of HS QBs that have have come thru Redbird Nation is a virtual Who's Who of "Who was that guy .. a walk on ? ".

But 7 QBs on the roster ?????

Bisonator
April 25th, 2019, 12:59 PM
ISUr has had just 2 QBs on the entire roster all spring. We get 2 true FR added to roster this summer. We do have a QB turned RB turned Safety that could probably get ready in a pinch (Hatfield), because he really wanted to play QB .. but Spack has always envisioned him as Safety ... so this year, Hatfield is Safety. Irronically because previous QB turned Safety Broadnax ... one start at QB against SDSU at end of 2017, and was moved to Safety in 2018 .. and quit the program after season.

As good as we are at finding RBs, our track record recruiting HS QBs is abymsal in Spack regime. He recruits pretty well everywhere else, but since 2009, Spack has had just 1 HS QB play all 4/5 years at QB and play QB as a senior .. and that was Kolbe, who lost his starting poisition as a senior to transfer QB Davis. So only 1 has even played QB as a senior, and that one was demoted. In all brutal honest, it is the reason we flirt with top 10 almost every year since 2016, but always fall short ... lack of consistency in pass game to take pressure of run game.

FYI, Spack inherited Matt Brown in 2009. Roberson was a 2014 transfer, and now so is Davis. Note, Davis did get a medical redshirt for an injured seasin at Memphis. .. so he was a "demoted" a class a few weeks ago and will be a JR this fall. Give our QB depth situation, that was huge relief for Redbird Nation. Now we have to keep him healthy.

The carousel of HS QBs that have have come thru Redbird Nation is a virtual Who's Who of "Who was that guy .. a walk on ? ".

But 7 QBs on the roster ?????
We are talking Farley here, he see's a RB or WR he might put them at QB just because......

Redbird 4th & short
April 25th, 2019, 02:09 PM
We are talking Farley here, he see's a RB or WR he might put them at QB just because......

Good comparison as it relates to QB position ... except with Spack, he just doesnt know how to recruit or develop his own guy. He did well with Brown and Roberson. And were hoping Davis settled down this year.

I get the impression Farley is QB position and player killer .. almost single handedly sabotages it hinself no matter how good the player may be.

achrist70
April 25th, 2019, 07:23 PM

Only time will tell, here is my thinking though, with Coach Klieman you had that person that could walk into any room or any recruits house and instantly captivate his audience. When I was a senior in high school I would listen to any college coach who came just to get out of class, I met with probably with 20 division 2 and 3 coaches, knowing full well that I was going to UNI as I wanted to be a teacher. The day I met with Coach Klieman who was at the time the head coach at Loras, he about had me convinced to go to the tiny school in Dubuque, that year he was able to recruit a class that had the best year at Loras in 30 odd years. Any UNI fan will tell you that he had the best mind on the 07 staff that also included Scott Frost, Chris Klieman will do great things at Kansas State.

Matt Entz on the other hand always came off as an arrogant prick who thought he knew it all, I know of at least 2 recruits that UNI should of easily had that were turned off by him that they ended up going somewhere else and having extremely successful college careers. Finally I think when you look at how he did as UNIs DC and the mess he made of it is my biggest concern. Yes he had success as a DC in Fargo but how much of that was Klieman?

Houndawg
April 26th, 2019, 08:54 AM
SIU isn't going anywhere but down unless we get some money from legal weed pronto. Wouldn't be surprised to see us in D2 eventually. We will have a stud RB who reminded me of David Johnson from UNI in the spring game. 6'2" 240 lb Javon Williamson was a HS QB with a cannon arm and he is fast. The problem is that he looked like a man among boys in the spring game, and I mean he laid waste to some DBs, but it could be that our defense is as ****ty as usual. Or both. If our o line is ok he's going to be a load.

Redbird 4th & short
April 26th, 2019, 09:02 AM
SIU isn't going anywhere but down unless we get some money from legal weed pronto. Wouldn't be surprised to see us in D2 eventually. We will have a stud RB who reminded me of David Johnson from UNI in the spring game. 6'2" 240 lb Javon Williamson was a HS QB with a cannon arm and he is fast. The problem is that he looked like a man among boys in the spring game, and I mean he laid waste to some DBs, but it could be that our defense is as ****ty as usual. Or both. If our o line is ok he's going to be a load.

how much do you think he will he split reps with Davis .... % split ?

Also curious who's going to start at QB ?

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 28th, 2019, 11:26 AM

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing SIU's football stadium this year. Get to cross off this Valley stadium this year.

Sycamore62
April 29th, 2019, 11:25 AM
I have only heard good things this spring with ISUb. I think we will have a strong team and win between 3 and 11 games

clenz
April 29th, 2019, 11:32 AM
Has anyone ever heard anything bad about spring ball and felt like they wouldn't be improved?

UNI had 17 starters/significant players from last year out of spring ball. No idea what anything regarding spring ball means other than players getting reps

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sycamore62
April 29th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Has anyone ever heard anything bad about spring ball and felt like they wouldn't be improved?

UNI had 17 starters/significant players from last year out of spring ball. No idea what anything regarding spring ball means other than players getting reps

Yes, regularly

IBleedYellow
April 29th, 2019, 12:42 PM

NDSU lost our most likely RB1 this Spring.

BisonFan02
April 29th, 2019, 02:53 PM
NDSU doesn't have a sure fire starting QB....not even close.

TheKingpin28
April 29th, 2019, 07:54 PM

Jose Mohler to the rescue? xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 29th, 2019, 08:02 PM

Lance will be the starter.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 29th, 2019, 08:05 PM

Cofield , Clark, William's and Brooks will be a very 4some in the running game IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Jose Mohler to the rescue? xlolx

I almost barfed ready this....lol

TheKingpin28
April 29th, 2019, 08:57 PM
Cofield , Clark, William's and Brooks will be a very 4some in the running game IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I almost barfed ready this....lol

It's from Saturday at the Turf. That's why I posted that.

ysubigred
May 1st, 2019, 07:25 AM
Damn there was spring ball?! Non event where we live xsmhx

JSUSoutherner
May 1st, 2019, 04:21 PM

You guys are ****ed. Won't even make it to the quarterfinals. xrolleyesx

POD Knows
May 2nd, 2019, 06:16 AM
You guys are ****ed. Won't even make it to the quarterfinals. xrolleyesxIt is the weakest Bison team since the 2014 National Championship team. :D

Bison56
May 3rd, 2019, 07:01 AM
It is the weakest Bison team since the 2014 National Championship team. :D

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/60490872.jpg (https://memegenerator.net/instance/60490872/eddie-murphy-you-da-man-i-see-what-you-did-there)

frozennorth
May 4th, 2019, 07:29 PM
My impression is that NDSU is going to have 5 players drafted the next 2 years (Tuzka, Radunz, Volson, Johnson, Cox), is still loaded to the rafters and the only real question is whether any of their early opponents are good enough (looking at you ISU, who was woefully uncompetitive in 2018) to knock them off before they really get rolling

25% chance NDSU rolls into Eugene winners of 37 straight

Redbird 4th & short
May 5th, 2019, 09:57 AM
My impression is that NDSU is going to have 5 players drafted the next 2 years (Tuzka, Radunz, Volson, Johnson, Cox), is still loaded to the rafters and the only real question is whether any of their early opponents are good enough (looking at you ISU, who was woefully uncompetitive in 2018) to knock them off before they really get rolling

25% chance NDSU rolls into Eugene winners of 37 straight

substitute "inconsistent". and you would be 100% correct .. and not just last year, but the last 3 seasons. IMO, we are the Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde of MVFC .. some weeks we are clearly a top 10 team, other weeks, we don't even look top 30. I realize every team has good weeeks and bad weeks. For us, it all comes down to our pass game ... this has been our achilles heel and we get a lot more predictable on offense if our pass game is not at least keeping good defenses honest .. not a major revelation there, but it is where we fall short in terms of consistency every year since 2016. Our run game and defense usually does enough to compete in MVFC and FCS.

Full offseason for transfer QB Davis with OC Beathard has a us feeling better this year ... but we shall see. If he is closer to 60% than 50% completion rate, we will be a factor. If not, we will be Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde again this fall.