PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook move

Cobblestone
April 20th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm not trying to talk smack against any team or conference but having lived in both New England and the mid-Atlantic region I think Stony Brook is going to have a hard time competing in the Big South. It'll make for some nice road trips for their fans but I think little else. With that being said I think URI should look to take Stony Brook's place in the NEC. We've never competed well in the A-10 or CAA as it is now called.
================================================== ====
The following is from my local newspaper.

Stony Brook played in the Northeast Conference with Albany, Central Connecticut, Sacred Heart, Monmouth, Robert Morris, St. Francis and Wagner, and won the title in 2005. But the Seawolves dropped out to pursue a higher level of competition. Eschewing the nomadic existence of an independent, Stony Brook opted to join the Big South Conference in 2008 to play Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern, Liberty, Coastal Carolina and VMI. The six-team Big South will become eligible for an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs in 2010.

Any thoughts from Stony Brook fans or Big South members?

g-webb1994
April 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
From a geographic standpoint, it would have made more sense for the Big South to get in Savannah State, Winston-Salem State, or make a run at a MEAC school like North Carolina A&T or South Carolina State. Adding PC makes sense, but they will be on a probationary period for quite awhile with the move up from D-2.

SB's shortest road trip will be to either Liberty or VMI (I haven't done the work on mapquest yet). The only fun road trip their fans could possibly have would be to Coastal, with the nice scenery at Myrtle nearby.

Two other thoughts....(1) How long does SB stay before bolting to a more sensible geographic conference and (2) how long before say Winthrop, Radford, or High Point take the plunge and get into the football business.

Go...gate
April 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I'm not trying to talk smack against any team or conference but having lived in both New England and the mid-Atlantic region I think Stony Brook is going to have a hard time competing in the Big South. It'll make for some nice road trips for their fans but I think little else. With that being said I think URI should look to take Stony Brook's place in the NEC. We've never competed well in the A-10 or CAA as it is now called.

Stony Brook played in the Northeast Conference with Albany, Central Connecticut, Sacred Heart, Monmouth, Robert Morris, St. Francis and Wagner, and won the title in 2005. But the Seawolves dropped out to pursue a higher level of competition. Eschewing the nomadic existence of an independent, Stony Brook opted to join the Big South Conference in 2008 to play Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern, Liberty, Coastal Carolina and VMI. The six-team Big South will become eligible for an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs in 2010.

How about the Patriot League for football?

UAalum72
April 20th, 2007, 10:22 AM
So soon after Towson left? Would the PL want another public?

henfan
April 20th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Understand that the Big South is likely just a temporary arrangement for SBU.

bostonspider
April 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I am not sure I really see URI as too compatible with the other schools in the Patriot League. Now UR, Villanova and maybe W&M seem to be schools that may someday still end up in the Patriot, but we will see. They do seem pretty compatible.

MarkCCU
April 20th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I think it's stupid! They don't represent the South. It'll be hell getting tothe games for fans...ahh!

Cobblestone
April 20th, 2007, 11:08 AM

We'd be better off there as well. Anything is better than how we are doing in the A-10/CAA.

Cobblestone
April 20th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Understand that the Big South is likely just a temporary arrangement for SBU.

Please explain.
xconfusedx

Cobblestone
April 20th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I think it's stupid! They don't represent the South. It'll be hell getting tothe games for fans...ahh!

It won't be much fun either. For one thing, you'll hate the weather unless it is early September or a cool crisp day in October; foliage is nice at that time. Second, you won't believe how small time FCS football is here in the northeast.

andy7171
April 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM
It won't be much fun either. For one thing, you'll hate the weather unless it is early September or a cool crisp day in October; foliage is nice at that time. Second, you won't believe how small time FCS football is here in the northeast.
I'll be a witness to that! Sure we have Delaware as a beacon of hope xrolleyesx , but pretty much when you cross the Potomac River, it's a sad state of affairs. xnonono2x

henfan
April 20th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Please explain.
xconfusedx

SBU would be a key component of any attempt by the America East to form their own FB league. SBU's contract with the Big South is a limited to four years, beginning in 2008. SBU can buy out of its side of the contract sooner, however.

Wed, Mar. 21, 2007
Stony Brook becomes sixth team
By Ian Guerin
The Sun News

..."We really don't know what the future's going to hold except we're going to take care of ourselves," Koegel said. "The Big South is going to improve and is doing a good job taking care of us."

At least for now.

The four-year agreement will be voided after the 2011 season if the two parties do not sign an extension. Conversely, Stony Brook can buy out of its side of the deal.

However, those possibilities are years away.

On Tuesday, the unlikely pairing left the two parties' problems solved.
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/

Important to note that ODU becomes a full member of the CAA in 2011 and GSU, if they opt for FB, wouldn't be far behind. SBU's contract expires with the BSC after 2011. The 2012 timeframe should be interesting for FCS FB in the East.

jessesd
April 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Stony Brook fans do not travel at all and chances of its fans leaving Suffolk County are slim, even a road trip to Hofstra 15 miles down the LIE in Nassau County may be their only road trip for the fans. Now traveling farther south past Liberty would be anything short of a miracle. Only expect to see the team coming to a big south stadium with no fans. Remember, we are talking of Long Island, fans.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM
A lot has been said about the "why's and wherefores" of Stony Brook's move, as well as the lack of perceived fan support, etc. But in my mind, what's most important is the following:

Will Stony Brook be able to compete for the Big South championship next year?

Coastal proved that Big South champions can play with the full-scholly teams in the league and beat them often enough. The question becomes - is Stony Brook good enough to rise to the top of this conference?

My feeling is the AD feels if Stony Brook wins games, the fans will come whether it's Hofstra or Savannah State coming to town. If they win the Big South, they might even get a shot at an at-large bid to the playoffs too. But nobody knows how good they are, really. They were contenders in a massively-improved NEC last year.

CollegeSportsInfo
April 20th, 2007, 12:35 PM

As you were typing that email, I think Ingoglia just had another 20 yard rush against URI.

henfan
April 20th, 2007, 01:06 PM
As you were typing that email, I think Ingoglia just had another 20 yard rush against URI.

Oh, God. Rene still has eligibility left?!xsmhx xbawlingx

Mr. C
April 20th, 2007, 01:51 PM
From a geographic standpoint, it would have made more sense for the Big South to get in Savannah State, Winston-Salem State, or make a run at a MEAC school like North Carolina A&T or South Carolina State. Adding PC makes sense, but they will be on a probationary period for quite awhile with the move up from D-2.

SB's shortest road trip will be to either Liberty or VMI (I haven't done the work on mapquest yet). The only fun road trip their fans could possibly have would be to Coastal, with the nice scenery at Myrtle nearby.

Two other thoughts....(1) How long does SB stay before bolting to a more sensible geographic conference and (2) how long before say Winthrop, Radford, or High Point take the plunge and get into the football business.
The Big South DID talk to Winston-Salem State and has held conversations with Savannah State. WSSU wanted to join the MEAC, to remain in an HBCU conference (they previously were in the CIAA at Division II). Savannah State has so many institutional problems, not to even mention its competitive problems, that no one has wanted to touch these Tigers.

Coastal89
April 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Stony Brook fans do not travel at all and chances of its fans leaving Suffolk County are slim, even a road trip to Hofstra 15 miles down the LIE in Nassau County may be their only road trip for the fans. Now traveling farther south past Liberty would be anything short of a miracle. Only expect to see the team coming to a big south stadium with no fans. Remember, we are talking of Long Island, fans.
Remember though, probably 80% of them have their Grandparents living in Myrtle Beach.:)

Seawolf97
April 20th, 2007, 09:31 PM
First a great thread! I think Stonybrook can be competitive in the Big South as early as 2008. Our 5-6 record included losses to New Hampshire and UMass on back to back weekends. We were the only NEC team to beat eventual conference champ Monmouth on their field, we have beaten Albany in 2005 and 2006 and lost to CCSU by 3 points.
You are right about the weather. Any Big South team that plays us in late October to the end of the season can expect cold weather-that could be a factor. The fans in the Northeast are not the fans southern teams are used to at home. Homecoming will fill the stadium (8200)- a game a week later you could expect maybe 3000 people unless its raining .
Dont expect many road trips from Stonybrook fans-you may get a hardcore 100 to follow the team.
Lastly I would love to see Stonybrook in the Patriot League someday. That may encourage fans to travel especially alumni who live near Patriot schools.

youwouldno
April 20th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Stony Brook is nowhere near the team CCU was last season. Graduated QB Thigpen was dominant (and is getting some NFL attention) and Jerome Simpson is one of the better wide outs in the FCS.

Seawolf97
April 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I see us as competitve not winning the conference in 2008. Central Connecticut had a great running back in Hairston last year and we stayed with them losing 35-32. We should be alot stronger in '08 than we were in '06 also -so dont count us out .

Mr. C
April 20th, 2007, 10:04 PM
First a great thread! I think Stonybrook can be competitive in the Big South as early as 2008. Our 5-6 record included losses to New Hampshire and UMass on back to back weekends. We were the only NEC team to beat eventual conference champ Monmouth on their field, we have beaten Albany in 2005 and 2006 and lost to CCSU by 3 points.
You are right about the weather. Any Big South team that plays us in late October to the end of the season can expect cold weather-that could be a factor. The fans in the Northeast are not the fans southern teams are used to at home. Homecoming will fill the stadium (8200)- a game a week later you could expect maybe 3000 people unless its raining .
Dont expect many road trips from Stonybrook fans-you may get a hardcore 100 to follow the team.
Lastly I would love to see Stonybrook in the Patriot League someday. That may encourage fans to travel especially alumni who live near Patriot schools.
I'm somewhat familier with all of the parties involved, so I can provide some input. I saw CCU several times in person or on tape, same with Gardner-Webb. I also saw Charleston Southern and VMI on tape. The only team I missed was Liberty last season. I even had a chance to see Presbyterian once on TV. I also had a chance to see Stony Brook on TV. Stony Brook played hard (starting to sound like Coach Jerry Moore here) and did a good job defensively, but really didn't have much offensive firepower. Whereas the NEC is largely a run-oriented conference, the Big South is much more of a finesse league. CCU, GWU and CSU are all throw-first teams. Stony Brook will have to improve a lot in its secondary to be able to keep up with those three teams. The Big South games tend to be high-scoring affairs, while the NEC played a lot of tight-to-the-vest contests. My hunch is that it will take a year of adjustment for Stony Brook to seriously challenge in this league. And they need to seriously improve on offense.

Seawolf97
April 20th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I agree on adjusting to new teams and styles of play. I think thats what part of this move is about getting better by playing tougher teams. Stonybrook has gone cold offensively more than once.

rokamortis
April 20th, 2007, 10:35 PM
CCU, GWU and CSU are all throw-first teams.

Coastal may have to go back to a run first team this year.

Mr. C
April 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I know what you mean. I wasn't that impressed by your back-up QB when I saw him play the second half against Appalachian State in 2005. But you've got to find some way to get the ball to Jerome Simpson and those other good receivers. That is really your greatest strength.

Husky Alum
April 21st, 2007, 12:49 AM
Oh, God. Rene still has eligibility left?!xsmhx xbawlingx

With Don Brown Coaching at UMass, it wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to find some legal loophole to get him and Krohn back. ;-)

Sly Fox
April 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM
I think the premise of SB joining the Big South to put themselves in a position to challenge for the playoffs is somewhat flawed. Because I see the Seawolves having a tough time winning our league in the next couple of years. The league as a whole has improved considerably in just the past couple of years. The only weak team has been VMI and they are showing strong signs of life under Jim Reid.

As for the fans travelling, I don't really see it as a big deal. It doesn't sound like SB travels well anywhere so what difference does it make where they head? That's not meant as smack but a reason why its not a mitigating factor.

We have a largely national student body & alumni base and so our opponents rarely play a big factor in our home attendance. I get the feeling that SB is similar in that most fans are showing up for the home team and not the opponent (unless they were somehow able to convince an FBS to come to their crib). Winning is a bigger influence on attendance at our place than the opposition. Most Average Joe Students couldn't tell the difference between most DIII or FCS schools by name recognition. But if they hear the team is playing well and its a fun afternoon or evening event, they'll show up. And let's be honest, that accounts for a nice chunk of home attendance at most schools whether we want to admit it or not.

citdog
April 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM
just what the States of the Former Confederacy need, long island guidos and mobsters running around during football season.

Sly Fox
April 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Please, lets not remind everyone of Deep Southern stereotypes particularly coming from someone with Jeff Davis in their sig.

citdog
April 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM
Please, lets not remind everyone of Deep Southern stereotypes particularly coming from someone with Jeff Davis in their sig.

that's PRESIDENT DAVIS!

BigApp
April 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM

says someone who went to school in Virginia and lives in Texas...xcoolx

danefan
April 21st, 2007, 02:42 PM
just what the States of the Former Confederacy need, long island guidos and mobsters running around during football season.\

Easy pal. I have no affinity for Long Islanders, but I don't appreciate the "guido" comment....in gest or not.

Sly Fox
April 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM
says someone who went to school in Virginia and lives in Texas...xcoolx

You don't even want to get me started on this topic. I've infuriated more than a few on our board regarding this subject.

And I agree that Guido comments are about as funny to me as other racial digs. Very creative, Citdog. xnonox

kicker
April 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
just what the States of the Former Confederacy need, long island guidos and mobsters running around during football season.

i find the more posts i read from you the more i believe you to be an idiot, plain & simple. xeyebrowx

Seawolf97
April 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
Now what was the original question ?xrulesx xrulesx

citdog
April 21st, 2007, 05:04 PM
i find the more posts i read from you the more i believe you to be an idiot, plain & simple. xeyebrowx

i find that i have never heard of you so your opinion is like a gnat buzzing around me!

SMACK! NO MORE GNAT!

Pageoner
April 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
^that is possibly the lamest/most meatheaded come back i've heard.

citdog
April 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM
^that is possibly the lamest/most meatheaded come back i've heard.

your opinion doesn't matter until you reach at least 100 posts! Douchey!

stonywolf
April 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM
anyway... back to the subject... i think the only reason why we are moving to the Big South is for the increased possibility of a playoff birth. There was nothing better on the table at the time, and the Big South needed a team. So i guess it worked out for both sides right?

Sly Fox
April 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
We're glad you guys are coming our way. Thankfully for your benefit you won't have to deal with Appy or El Cid fans from this thread in our league.

citdog
April 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM
We're glad you guys are coming our way. Thankfully for your benefit you won't have to deal with Appy or El Cid fans from this thread in our league.

FU scalawag

BigApp
April 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM

takes a little tounge-in-cheek to 'get' citdog, kicker

Seawolf97
April 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
We are looking forward to 2008

jessesd
April 23rd, 2007, 08:14 AM

i find the more posts i read from you the more i believe you to be an idiot, plain & simple.

Sorry to break the news Citdog. (You made a big blunder here), review the student profiles and you'll see Stony Brook has more Jew students than Italian-americans.
In addition to this, the Jew Mafia sometimes referred to as the Kosher Nostra, Kosher Mafia, is quite rampant in Brooklyn and the Eastern portions of Long Island where Stony Brook are located and most of their alumni is located in those areas (the jewish mafia are largely composed by large numbers of former Israeli military and some Russian Jews).

and lastly.... by the way, the South lost, get over it!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Sorry to break the news Citdog. (You made a big blunder here), review the student profiles and you'll see Stony Brook has more Jew students than Italian-americans.
In addition to this, the Jew Mafia sometimes referred to as the Kosher Nostra, Kosher Mafia, is quite rampant in Brooklyn and the Eastern portions of Long Island where Stony Brook are located and most of their alumni is located in those areas (the jewish mafia are largely composed by large numbers of former Israeli military and some Russian Jews).

and lastly.... by the way, the South lost, get over it!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Southern Hebrews and our yankee bretheren are different people as shown by our participation for the Confederacy. I will never get over it!

Pageoner
April 23rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
so in all honesty
you still want slaves?

Jiggs
April 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Southern Hebrews and our yankee bretheren are different people as shown by our participation for the Confederacy. I will never get over it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judah_P._Benjamin

Ol Blue
April 23rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
easy boys.....football is the subject here

Sly Fox
April 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
It was the Southerner who brought race into the discussion. But ia gree, I don't want to get into this argument here.

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
so in all honesty
you still want slaves?

in all honesty are you a schmuck?

mainejeff
April 23rd, 2007, 05:14 PM

Or barefoot hayseeds with Rebel Flag t-shirts running around on Long Island........

danefan
April 23rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Or barefoot hayseeds with Rebel Flag t-shirts running around on Long Island........

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx:D:D:D:D:D:D:D: D
xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 06:08 PM

those of us who truly honor the Confederacy and the brave men who sacrificed their lives and their fortunes and their honor defending the Constitutional form of Government that had been won by their Grandfather's on the battlefield at Fort Sullivan, Cowpens, and Kings Mountain would never dishonor that sacred symbol by wearing it on a t-shirt.

Dabnus Brickey
April 23rd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Here we go again...

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Here we go again...

these damn bluebellies keep taking potshots at the South and her people but don't like it when the shoe is on the other hand.xnodx

Seawolf97
April 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
He has to kiddingxoopsx xoopsx All we plan to do is play football

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 06:34 PM

is that what stony brook does i thought it was a mountain straem

Dane96
April 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
those of us who truly honor the Confederacy and the brave men who sacrificed their lives and their fortunes and their honor defending the Constitutional form of Government that had been won by their Grandfather's on the battlefield at Fort Sullivan, Cowpens, and Kings Mountain would never dishonor that sacred symbol by wearing it on a t-shirt.

Wow...

...is all I have to say.

xnonono2x

The year is 2007.

jessesd
April 23rd, 2007, 06:44 PM

You’ll get use to his irrational rants!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx
I assumed that he was dropped when he was a kid and landed on his head! Not his fault.
Occasionally he makes sense, like every 500 post or so, (give or takexwhistlex xwhistlex ) he is due for one of these anytime. Many here just make fun of him, is rather amusing to see what he writes. xlolx xlolx xlolx
Enjoy!!!

I for one enjoyed what Stony Brook has accomplished on the field, along with Hofstra would help improve collegiate football in Long Island.

Seawolf97
April 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Hope to develop a real rivalry when we get to full scholarship strength - they are good program!

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
You’ll get use to his irrational rants!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx
I assumed that he was dropped when he was a kid and landed on his head! Not his fault.
Occasionally he makes sense, like every 500 post or so, (give or takexwhistlex xwhistlex ) he is due for one of these anytime. Many here just make fun of him, is rather amusing to see what he writes. xlolx xlolx xlolx
Enjoy!!!

I for one enjoyed what Stony Brook has accomplished on the field, along with Hofstra would help improve collegiate football in Long Island.

you have been a douche for all 210 of your posts and i enjoy your lack of clout

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Wow...

...is all I have to say.

xnonono2x

The year is 2007.

you yankees don't know about your people or your history, probably because most of your ancestors crawled out of the sewers of Europe, while those that settled the South were descended from the Cavaliers, yankees from Roundheads

Seawolf97
April 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
An FCS Archie Bunker - New Yorkers are far from sensitive-xlolx xlolx

jessesd
April 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
you yankees don't know about your people or your history, probably because most of your ancestors crawled out of the sewers of Europe, while those that settled the South were descended from the Cavaliers, yankees from Roundheads

Occasionally he makes sense, like every 500 post or so, (give or takexwhistlex xwhistlex )

not this one.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Seawolf97
April 23rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Doesnt bother me at all -he is funny

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Occasionally he makes sense, like every 500 post or so, (give or takexwhistlex xwhistlex )

not this one.xlolx xlolx xlolx

it doesn't make it any less true. Deo Vindice!

Dane96
April 23rd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Citdog,

You see now...you are just a dolt. How on earth could you dare speak to me like you know me.

First off, I know my history. I am pretty intellectual guy (despite all the head bangs from the various sports).

Second, my family descendancy comes through N'Awlins. So let's leave it at that.

Third, my family has fought for the rights of the Constitution, which you so weakly portrayed as those belonging to the Confederacy. This "service" runs so deep that after I was rejected because of an injury, I proceeded to "fake" my physical just so I could get into J.A.G., which, I might add was my last resort to do my duty for this country.

Fourth, unlike the UNH fan who asked if you were for slavery, I am intelligent enough to know that the true facts of the Civil War had little to do with slavery; In fact, Lincoln utilized this (much like FDR used Pearl Harbor) to continue the war by appealing to the morality of the Union (slavery) when in truth, it has been argued, he was against actual Emancipation.

ALL THAT BEING SAID...the War vs. North Agression, the Civil War, whatever you want to call it, IS OVER. GET OVER IT.

And please, stop generalizing about people's backgrounds. You really dont want to get into that because it tarnishes the good education The Citadel Provides.

Last I saw, you live in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. You support a team that flys the UNITED STATES FLAG.

Your tendancy to live in the past does not help your cause to promulgate and advance any of the grievances you believe still exist. For that to happen...you would have to have an opinion, an open mind, and live in the present.

It is clear that you do not.

Other than that...your ramblings about the South give me quite the chuckle...and provide much needed rancor at our Southern Family dinners that I attend once a month.

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2007, 07:13 PM

What a pussy.

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
What a pussy.

no you have me confused with capn cat, he is quite the kitty!

CCUBeachChicken
April 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Oh, God. Ok, the south is great, the north is great( though not as great as the south) heck, the entire US is great. Barely any supporters of the confederacy supported slavery, including the commander of the confederate army. The south lost, the north won.

END OF DISCUSSION.

Ok, football time.

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Citdog,

You see now...you are just a dolt. How on earth could you dare speak to me like you know me.

First off, I know my history. I am pretty intellectual guy (despite all the head bangs from the various sports).

Second, my family descendancy comes through N'Awlins. So let's leave it at that.

Third, my family has fought for the rights of the Constitution, which you so weakly portrayed as those belonging to the Confederacy. This "service" runs so deep that after I was rejected because of an injury, I proceeded to "fake" my physical just so I could get into J.A.G., which, I might add was my last resort to do my duty for this country.

Fourth, unlike the UNH fan who asked if you were for slavery, I am intelligent enough to know that the true facts of the Civil War had little to do with slavery; In fact, Lincoln utilized this (much like FDR used Pearl Harbor) to continue the war by appealing to the morality of the Union (slavery) when in truth, it has been argued, he was against actual Emancipation.

ALL THAT BEING SAID...the War vs. North Agression, the Civil War, whatever you want to call it, IS OVER. GET OVER IT.

And please, stop generalizing about people's backgrounds. You really dont want to get into that because it tarnishes the good education The Citadel Provides.

Last I saw, you live in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. You support a team that flys the UNITED STATES FLAG.

Your tendancy to live in the past does not help your cause to promulgate and advance any of the grievances you believe still exist. For that to happen...you would have to have an opinion, an open mind, and live in the present.

It is clear that you do not.

Other than that...your ramblings about the South give me quite the chuckle...and provide much needed rancor at our Southern Family dinners that I attend once a month.

You sir are the worst sort, a SCALAWAG! JAG Corps, FIGURES!

Dane96
April 23rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Apparently you dont read well: JAG=LAST RESORT

Sly Fox
April 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah, serving his country is a clear step down from being in the Charleston kiddie corp. xeyebrowx

I get that Citdog is a caricature and not a real poster. But this act is played out.

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah, serving his country is a clear step down from being in the Charleston kiddie corp. xeyebrowx

I get that Citdog is a caricature and not a real poster. But this act is played out.

i get that i was a real officer in a real unit, not a bunch of damn lawyers paying off student loans with military service. The Charleston kiddie Corps? FCK U!

Seawolf97
April 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Amen -on to football

Dane96
April 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
i get that i was a real officer in a real unit, not a bunch of damn lawyers paying off student loans with military service. The Charleston kiddie Corps? FCK U!

I just sent you a PM...but I will put it out there for all as well. I SHATTERED MY LEG AND WAS TOLD BY THE USMA (out of H.S.) that i could not attend because of the injury...and then I tried various ways, even faking my MEPS test to get in the only way I could because of two injuries (leg and shoulder devestations) I had: JAG.

Being the smart guy you are, you should know:

A) Student Loans are not paid off by the military for law school
B) Student Loans for lawyers can run (as in my case) upwards of 165k, and the salary for JAG is about 40k...try paying that off without govt. help.
C) USMC JAGS are RIFLEMAN FIRST. In fact, most of my USMC JAG friends are actually fighting...and not lawyering.

Knowing all this, this NORTHERNER still tried to get in.

NOW GO F' OFF.

Back to football...I have just become the biggest SBU supporter when you play The Citadel. If this donkey is the pride they produce...I pray for all their mothers.

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
I just sent you a PM...but I will put it out there for all as well. I SHATTERED MY LEG AND WAS TOLD BY THE USMA (out of H.S.) that i could not attend because of the injury...and then I tried various ways, even faking my MEPS test to get in the only way I could because of two injuries (leg and shoulder devestations) I had: JAG.

Being the smart guy you are, you should know:

A) Student Loans are not paid off by the military for law school
B) Student Loans for lawyers can run (as in my case) upwards of 165k, and the salary for JAG is about 40k...try paying that off without govt. help.
C) USMC JAGS are RIFLEMAN FIRST. In fact, most of my USMC JAG friends are actually fighting...and not lawyering.

Knowing all this, this NORTHERNER still tried to get in.

NOW GO F' OFF.

Back to football...I have just become the biggest SBU supporter when you play The Citadel. If this donkey is the pride they produce...I pray for all their mothers.

it is no suprise you wanted to attend that charm school for ladies on the hudson. many jag lawyers get army money to attend law school in exchange for service, you know this as well as i do. this nation no longer needs a marine corps as the Army can do everything the marines can do, it is just redundant. i am SURE that jag lawyers are fighting, paper cuts, hemmoroids, and other problems those who are "in the rear with the gear" usually fight. as far as stony brook goes, it would not be pretty if you met up with the superior breed of man that is the football playing members of The South Carolina Corps of Cadets. a 52-7 job would be the result. As far as our mothers, they are proud of us!

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by citdog

OK I believe you. But I AM curious as to the following:

1. What branch were you in? What was your MOS? if you were an officer you were an O-{please fill in the appropriate number}.

2. I'd like to know if you were a Commander of any sort, Company CDR? Battery CDR?

3. Judging from your posts I sure wouldn't have wanted to be your NBC NCO or FDC Chief.

Dane96
April 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
it is no suprise you wanted to attend that charm school for ladies on the hudson. many jag lawyers get army money to attend law school in exchange for service, you know this as well as i do. this nation no longer needs a marine corps as the Army can do everything the marines can do, it is just redundant. i am SURE that jag lawyers are fighting, paper cuts, hemmoroids, and other problems those who are "in the rear with the gear" usually fight. as far as stony brook goes, it would not be pretty if you met up with the superior breed of man that is the football playing members of The South Carolina Corps of Cadets. a 52-7 job would be the result. As far as our mothers, they are proud of us!

ACTUALLY...LAWYERS CANNOT GET MONEY TO ATTEND SCHOOL. It is a huge reason they are TRYING TO CHANGE THE RULES so they can get more JAG officers.

The GI Bill does not cover it, nor does the secondary loans often given to Officers.

Sly Fox
April 23rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Dane96 - Don't waste your time arguing with an idiot. You don't have to defend anything. Your service is greatly appreciated.

You have to love someone from a rich kid toy soldier school in the south busting on USMA. Whatever.

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Dane96 - Don't waste your time arguing with an idiot. You don't have to defend anything. Your service is greatly appreciated.

You have to love someone from a rich kid toy soldier school in the south busting on USMA. Whatever.

Fox you show your ignorance at an alarming rate. Most Cadets are from working class families. Only those lucky like me descend from illustrious old Charleston Families whose people signed the Dec of Ind, the Const. and the Ordinance of Secession. you know the "Holy Trinity". while not a jag lawyer i was an O-3 and a Co Commander.

Cobblestone
April 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Fox you show your ignorance at an alarming rate. Most Cadets are from working class families. Only those lucky like me descend from illustrious old Charleston Families whose people signed the Dec of Ind, the Const. and the Ordinance of Secession. you know the "Holy Trinity". while not a jag lawyer i was an O-3 and a Co Commander.

Infantry or MP? No you know what dude, don't even bother with an answer. The thought of you as a Company Commander is scarey enough. I started this thread, time to leave it.

Have a good evening sir.

citdog
April 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Have a good evening sir.

now you are doing it right. Good evening!

catdaddy2402
April 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
What an embarassment to our state. Typical Chucktown attitude. I wish we could take a big saw and cut everything seaward from Summerville off our state and give it to Bermuda.

Seawolf97
April 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
Nothing to be ashamed of - South Carolina is a great state . Visit it as much as I can. Now I have a bigger excuse to go there Stonybrook road games next year.

downbythebeach
April 24th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Seawolf your post are killing me......always the peacemaker......good to have you here.

citdog
April 24th, 2007, 08:37 AM
What an embarassment to our state. Typical Chucktown attitude. I wish we could take a big saw and cut everything seaward from Summerville off our state and give it to Bermuda.

and we wish we could cut everything off on the other side of the Ashley River and give it back to the Crown! Cat, it's not your fault that you are not a Charlestonian. We can't all be as lucky as I am. Now get back to your trailer and tend that still!xlolx

Ol Blue
April 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Now get back to your trailer and tend that still!xlolx

And bring me a jug of that stuff!xsmiley_wix

catdaddy2402
April 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM
and we wish we could cut everything off on the other side of the Ashley River and give it back to the Crown! Cat, it's not your fault that you are not a Charlestonian. We can't all be as lucky as I am. Now get back to your trailer and tend that still!xlolx
Oh man...what if we were all so lucky to live in the greater Charleston area. The meth lab capital of South Carolina.

citdog
April 25th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Oh man...what if we were all so lucky to live in the greater Charleston area. The meth lab capital of South Carolina.

the rest of this little hotheaded State has an inferiority complex about Charleston, and they should!

Go...gate
April 29th, 2007, 03:02 PM

You really mean this, Citdog? You strike me as being above this kind of comment.

ATrain
April 29th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Ok, the South was well within her rights to secede (Sly Fox needs to get over his brainwashing of that revisionist history the North tries to make everyone believe), but unfortunately lost. If Davis had only let Lee take DC when the opportunity was there...but oh well.

Back to football: I welcome Stony Brook, as it gives us a shot at an auto-bid sooner than if we had just waited for PC to become eligible and it also gives me a chance to spend some time in NYC if I ever travel up there for a game...I love that city.

citdog
April 29th, 2007, 03:52 PM
You really mean this, Citdog? You strike me as being above this kind of comment.

are the peoples who settled the South and North not different peoples altogether? the puritans, who mostly supported Cromwell and his Roundheads, selttled Mass and the NE. The people who settled the South are mostly descended from Cavaliers. Is it not true that the ancestors of many, many people who came through Ellis Island crawled out of the sewers of Europe?

UAalum72
April 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Take that aristocrat-loving crap back to England and try to re-win the civil war the Cavaliers lost there before they came over and lost a civil war here. Stop ignoring the debtors who settled Georgia, the Scotch-Irish all over the Appalachians, the Spanish in Texas, and the Cajuns and other French-speakers of the Mississippi Valley. The only thing the Cavaliers did was nearly starve to death as 'gentlemen' until some real workers came over to save them.

And of course Ellis Island wasn't used for immigration entry until well after the Civil War.

Go...gate
April 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM
are the peoples who settled the South and North not different peoples altogether? the puritans, who mostly supported Cromwell and his Roundheads, selttled Mass and the NE. The people who settled the South are mostly descended from Cavaliers. Is it not true that the ancestors of many, many people who came through Ellis Island crawled out of the sewers of Europe?

Though possibly true in small part, perhaps we had better agree to disagree on this.

Seawolf97
April 29th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Hey everyone. I have been reading this board for a while and thought I would make a post. I must admit, until the last few years I didnt follow FCS football, but having been keeping track of it since. I have followed the programs basketball team since they went DI, but recently started following all the football games. I am still learing, but feel I can start making posts now.

Yesterday was SBU's spring game. I was unable to make it but I did listen to the game on the internet. If anyone was there, please remark. Ray Alexander, the play by play guy, and Kurt Hilton, the color guy kept saying the QB Josh Dudash has improved a great deal. They were happy with his passing and accuracy and felt as if he was a different player that can now play at the level SBU is at. If you were at the game did you notice this?

The also were saying that the new transfers from I-A schools were a bg addition and played very well. Any thoughts.

How was the attendence at the game?

Did they run Brandon Mason ? I missed the game also -work got in the way

Seawolf97
April 30th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Thats what I thought. It should make for a good tandem.