PDA

View Full Version : Riley Stapleton

NEBison
April 4th, 2019, 11:15 AM
https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1113615937108881409

What have some of you JMU guys heard on this? Bad look regardless. Sorry if this has been brought up before, I didn't see it anywhere.

NEBison
April 4th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Not sure what I'm doing wrong with the link but if you highlight it you can go to the tweet.

POD Knows
April 4th, 2019, 11:32 AM

What have some of you JMU guys heard on this? Bad look regardless. Sorry if this has been brought up before, I didn't see it anywhere.

TheKingpin28
April 4th, 2019, 12:01 PM
This is bad. Time to see if JMU sets an example and let's the team know this kind of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

Anthony215
April 4th, 2019, 01:20 PM
This is bad. Time to see if JMU sets an example and let's the team know this kind of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

This happened 2 years ago so I'm not even certain they would have a right to punish him as far as suspending him from school or kicking him off the team... However I can see them reducing his aide for the upcoming season or suspending him for a game or two as it's bad publicity/press on the program.

NEBison
April 4th, 2019, 01:29 PM
This happened 2 years ago so I'm not even certain they would have a right to punish him as far as suspending him from school or kicking him off the team... However I can see them reducing his aide for the upcoming season or suspending him for a game or two as it's bad publicity/press on the program.

Idk about that. I would guess JMU was waiting for the legal process to finish and then issue a punishment.

Professor Chaos
April 4th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Obligatory "Bo Pelini is on line 1" comment.

SUPharmacist
April 4th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Idk about that. I would guess JMU was waiting for the legal process to finish and then issue a punishment.

This seems reasonable. I don't think universities or employers should have to decide what to do while the legal system is working, but if parties plead guilty (or no contest like this case) or are convicted I think they are well within their rights to toss someone. It is so much simpler when this happens in the off-season. I always feel bad for programs when they have to address criminal issues during the season before the legal system decides. If you let them play pending conclusion of the legal process you are viewed as not addressing issues, particularly if they are eventually convicted. If you suspend or kick them out and they are eventually found innocent you also look bad. Not being a lawyer I don't know what to make of his no contest plea, but if he did it I hope the victim is doing ok and I hope he straightens things out in his life (since this is from a couple years ago maybe he already did).

RootinFerDukes
April 4th, 2019, 09:02 PM

That’s exactly what they were doing and JMU has set that standard in the past. Due process rights being respected.

It is strange for the conviction to take two years almost but the DA had to recuse himself and it went to the state AG. That could explain it. The DA’s niece was the woman in the case.

dewey
April 5th, 2019, 12:09 AM
Here is an article about it.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports/jmu-wr-stapleton-pleads-no-contest-to-false-imprisonment-charge/article_15ee7b0b-12b7-57d3-987a-89780d17813a.html

Hopefully it is just a one time mistake on his part.

Dewey

bluehenbillk
April 5th, 2019, 08:11 AM
This would be a minor infraction and no real punishment in the past - maybe miss a half or one game. Welcome to the #MeToo era boys - I'd be shocked if it isn't something bad.

PAllen
April 5th, 2019, 08:51 AM
This would be a minor infraction and no real punishment in the past - maybe miss a half or one game. Welcome to the #MeToo era boys - I'd be shocked if it isn't something bad.

I don't know that I'd call that a minor infraction.

hoidOfYolen
April 5th, 2019, 10:58 AM
I don't know that I'd call that a minor infraction.

Same here... Not sure it should be thought of as minor for a student athlete. We hold our kids to high standards, we should hold our student athletes to even higher standards. They are representatives of the schools and potential icons in the future.

IBleedYellow
April 5th, 2019, 11:03 AM
From what I've heard about Cig(other syllables here) I'd bet Riley will no longer be a Duke once this all finishes.

Reign of Terrier
April 5th, 2019, 11:16 AM
I'm all for holding athletes more accountable for off the field conduct, but I honestly don't see any reason the punishment shouldn't be light.

For those of you who don't know, when you're no longer a minor and you get arrested or charged with a crime, let alone convicted, it usually stays on record for the rest of your life, which has a lot of down-the-line consequences for job applications and other things. I'm too lazy to look up Stapleton's age or the details I read yesterday, but this happened after he turned 18. Considering the punishment was pretty light and it's a misdemeanor, I don't see the need for severe punishment (more than a game or two suspension). Maybe I'm biased because I work with lawyers and hear about a lot of instances where relatively minor mistakes people make between 18 and 24 follow them for the rest of their life.

Meanwhile, playing football, so long as he doesn't make a similar mistake again, can help him prevent that outcome. Just my two pennies worth, I'm not starting a big argument about criminal justice or collateral consequences.

BDKJMU
April 5th, 2019, 12:55 PM
A little more background here. Curt Cignetti was an assistant under Saban at Alabama 2007-2010, before taking a big pay cut to take the HC job at Div II Indiana of Pennsylvania (IUP) in 2011. Curt wanted the opportunity to be a HC, and Curt’s father Frank, now in the Div II HOF, had been the HC at IUP 1986-2005. IUP slipped after Frank Sr retired, and Curt quickly returned them to being a Div II power.

Meanwhile Riley Stapleton was at the local HS, Indiana HS, from 2011-2015 before coming to JMU. Riley's younger brother Dylan (JMU's leading TE last season) I think was a year behind Riley at Indiana HS. Dylan played at Div II Slippery Rock before transferring to JMU as a walk on, so the 2 brothers could play together for 2 seasons. Cignetti's daughter Natalie was at Indiana HS a year ahead of Riley. During Cignetti's hiring press conference at JMU he joked about how he knew Riley very well- Riley was always over at his house back in Indiana. I assume Riley and Natalie might have dated. She became a Div II All American Volleyball player at IUP, think graduated last year (quite the looker going by her IUP volleyball pic).

So the fact that Coach Cignetti has known Riley for not just a few months as JMU's HC, but for 6-8 years, and the fact that Riley was at least friends with Cignetti's daughter adds a whole nother dynamic to the situation.

BDKJMU
April 5th, 2019, 01:11 PM
Stapleton Returns

Just two days after he pleaded no contest to a charge of false imprisonment in an Indiana County (Pa.) Common Pleas Court, James Madison senior wide receiver Riley Stapleton returned to Dukes practice Thursday.
No decision regarding Stapleton’s future with the program has been decided.
“Poor choices and decisions lead to poor consequences,” Cignetti said Thursday. “That’s all I’ve got to say.”
The Indiana Gazette reported Stapleton was placed on probation for one year after he acknowledged charges that he restrained his former girlfriend at a house party in June of 2017 in Indiana, Pa.
Stapleton was sent for anger management and a drug-and-alcohol evaluation, according to the newspaper.
“We are extremely disappointed in Riley’s actions and will issue punishment in line with the court’s findings,” JMU athletics released in a statement on Wednesday through associate athletic director for communications Kevin Warner. “We will be meeting with the student athlete to communicate his punishment and then will release that accordingly.”
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/kidwell-finds-comfort-on-left-side

Reign of Terrier
April 5th, 2019, 03:23 PM
why are we posting facebook photos from random women in their early 20s?

NEBison
April 5th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Gotta agree

RootinFerDukes
April 6th, 2019, 09:33 PM

To exhibit how creepy some of us are...

BisonFan02
April 6th, 2019, 10:13 PM
To exhibit how creepy some of us are...

Sometimes the thirst is real......just be careful with ballgirls.

FUBeAR
April 7th, 2019, 05:12 AM
To exhibit how creepy some of us are...sorta the plan, yes; but target missed, methinks; even boomeranged, perhaps...misfire withdrawn.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 8th, 2019, 12:31 PM

I see this was taken care of by the original poster. Thank you to him for exercising good judgment at the time of this being pointed out. Thanks as well to several others for helping guide the discussion to a better place as well.

xthumbsupx

BisonFan02
April 10th, 2019, 03:15 PM
I see this was taken care of by the original poster. Thank you to him for exercising good judgment at the time of this being pointed out. Thanks as well to several others for helping guide the discussion to a better place as well.

xthumbsupx

Thirst for ballgirls?

POD Knows
April 10th, 2019, 03:25 PM

xthumbsupx
We can’t post random pics of girls in their 20’s. WTF. Say it ain’t so.

TheKingpin28
April 10th, 2019, 03:26 PM
We can’t post random pics of girls in their 20’s. WTF. Say it ain’t so. Damn. I thought we finally had that all elusive hall pass.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
April 11th, 2019, 12:29 PM
We can’t post random pics of girls in their 20’s. WTF. Say it ain’t so.

It was specific victim in a case, not models etc. that we normally have the pics of. I gave thanks for doing what I see as the right thing to do. I didn't say people couldn't do it but it sure seems in bad taste under the circumstances unless I misunderstand the circumstances.

POD Knows
April 11th, 2019, 12:40 PM
It was specific victim in a case, not models etc. that we normally have the pics of. I gave thanks for doing what I see as the right thing to do. I didn't say people couldn't do it but it sure seems in bad taste under the circumstances unless I misunderstand the circumstances.
Yea. I was just joking around. We can’t be pouring cold water on posting
pics of scantily 20 somethings or can we.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 11th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Yea. I was just joking around. We can’t be pouring cold water on posting
pics of scantily 20 somethings or can we.

As long as they are all for it I agree. I'm a bit uneasy on the FB pics thing and it provides a good catalyst for an argument over what is creepy for sure.

I thought you were probably joking but if I don't answer it then it seems a bit off as well so figured I would treat it a legit statement to put out a little more explanation on my side.

Also I have found out that it was not the victim it was a pic of another young lady to make a point that most of us did not get.

POD Knows
April 11th, 2019, 12:54 PM
As long as they are all for it I agree.

I thought you were probably joking but if I don't answer it then it seems a bit off as well so figured I would treat it a legit statement to put out a little more explanation on my side.

Also I have found out that it was not the victim it was a pic of another young lady to make a point that most of us did not get.
Also. My post about pouring cold water and 20 somethings had more to do with actual cold water being poured on them.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 11th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Also. My post about pouring cold water and 20 somethings had more to do with actual cold water being poured on them.

That is what I had hoped you meant. Talk at you later Flashdance.