PDA

View Full Version : CCSU and 63 scholarships?

wolfman61
March 16th, 2019, 06:19 AM
Sorta new member here. Does anybody think this will ever happen? Would love to see the Blue Demons have annual matchups with the other New England teams. What do other CCSU fans think?

aceinthehole
March 16th, 2019, 08:15 AM
Welcome!

The Blue Devils currently have about 45 scholarships and 18 grants-in-aid spread up to 85 players.

I know we probably aren’t at the max (and we skew heavily to in-state), but we are near that amount as we have been a FBS counter for a few years now.

2017 - at Syracuse
2018 - at Ball State
2019 - at Eastern Michigan
2020 - at Toledo

The difficulty in finding other New England teams to play (Maine, New Hampshire, URI) is due to the lack of non-conference openings.

Central does have Holy Cross on the schedule in the future. :)

CenMEBlackBearFan
March 16th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Welcome!

The Blue Devils currently have about 45 scholarships and 18 grants-in-aid spread up to 85 players.

I know we probably aren’t at the max (and we skew heavily to in-state), but we are near that amount as we have been a FBS counter for a few years now.

2017 - at Syracuse
2018 - at Ball State
2019 - at Eastern Michigan
2020 - at Toledo

The difficulty in finding other New England teams to play (Maine, New Hampshire, URI) is due to the lack of non-conference openings.

Central does have Holy Cross on the schedule in the future. :)

I would love to play CCSU considering my son played for you guys years ago. We have not played you since 02 when you guys were non scholarship. We have played Bryant recently and have Sacred Heart this year so would think it is plausible.

Seahawks Fan
March 16th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Northeast Conference teams are now regularly playing full scholarship FCS opponents and even some FBS opponents. It makes sense to go to the full 63 scholarships in the near future. I'm guessing it happens within the next 2-3 years.

DFW HOYA
March 17th, 2019, 03:06 PM
Northeast Conference teams are now regularly playing full scholarship FCS opponents and even some FBS opponents. It makes sense to go to the full 63 scholarships in the near future. I'm guessing it happens within the next 2-3 years.

Is that why NEC teams seem to have fallen off future Georgetown schedules, or is it that these teams don't want to play in Washington anymore?

When a Patriot League team is left filling its schedule with bad D-III teams, there's a demand problem.

aceinthehole
March 17th, 2019, 06:18 PM
Is that why NEC teams seem to have fallen off future Georgetown schedules, or is it that these teams don't want to play in Washington anymore?

I'm not sure. I'm very surprised that the Western PA teams, Wagner and SHU haven't scheduled games with the Hoyas. The Catholic connection between GU and Duq-SFU-SHU seems natural. RMU and Wagner are always having problems finding FCS teams willing to give them home games, so a home/home deal with Georgetown makes sense.

Realistically, these NEC schools don't have large travelling fans bases, so I doubt the Georgetown facilities has much, if any impact. My guess it is just the lack of available dates, or other competitive reasons.

I imagine that CCSU and Bryant just don't find it worth it to bus down to D.C. without collecting some $$$. CCSU has played at Towson, JMU, and W&M but those were all guarantee games.

Bluefish845
March 19th, 2019, 10:41 AM

I know we probably aren’t at the max (and we skew heavily to in-state), but we are near that amount as we have been a FBS counter for a few years now

ACE, Do you have the numbers for the NEC, I know SHU is nowhere near these numbers, they may have maybe 30 scholarships and 10 grant-in-aid players. Wagner and Duquesne have been qualifiers for a number of years as well. I think Bryant just scheduled their first FBS game recently.

Anthony215
March 19th, 2019, 12:51 PM

I know we probably aren’t at the max (and we skew heavily to in-state), but we are near that amount as we have been a FBS counter for a few years now

ACE, Do you have the numbers for the NEC, I know SHU is nowhere near these numbers, they may have maybe 30 scholarships and 10 grant-in-aid players. Wagner and Duquesne have been qualifiers for a number of years as well. I think Bryant just scheduled their first FBS game recently.

What is the difference between the football scholarships and the grant in aid?

aceinthehole
March 19th, 2019, 01:23 PM

No, I don't have NEC team-by-team numbers. Those have never been released by the league or any school and is usually only reported vaguely in the media.

The 45/18 combo was well reported as the maximum numbers set by NEC policy. However, the NEC does not have any minimum.

Since Sacred Heart is the only NEC program not to have scheduled a FBS game yet, I will suppose they are under the "Bowl Counter" equivalency for FCS teams, which I think is 57.

My guess is every other NEC team is near that NEC max number to be a "Bowl Counter" FCS team.

aceinthehole
March 19th, 2019, 01:36 PM
What is the difference between the football scholarships and the grant in aid?

Scholarships are given to students-athletes based on their skill, regardless of their (parents) financial ability to pay tuition. This money has been designated by the University to only be available to for a specific talent and requires the student to participate in that activity - in this case football players. It is a contract and commitment for the student-athlete.

Grants-in-aid are only given to students who qualify based on financial thresholds. This money comes from a pool of funds that is available to every student at the university that meets the financial thresholds - officially, it is not "set aside" money for athletes only. Although, this money is granted to students on an annual basis and it can be denied in subsequent seasons, once granted to a student there is technically no requirement they participate in the activity.

Bottom line, they are both considered "equivalences" in NCAA parlance, as the student-athlete is receiving financial aid to attend the school. The difference is the students eligibility to be awarded the funds from the 2 different post of money and their requirement to participate.

Seahawks Fan
March 24th, 2019, 11:31 AM

When a Patriot League team is left filling its schedule with bad D-III teams, there's a demand problem.

I don't think it has anything to do with a trip to D.C. The NEC has expanded to eight teams for 2019 (LIU) and will add Merrimack in 2020. In addition Wagner has scheduled two FBS games in 2019 (UConn and Florida Atlantic). Add to that their traditional rival Monmouth from the Big South. That doesn't leave many open dates. But I would think they would schedule Georgetown in the future if the scheduling works out.