PDA

View Full Version : CAA notes 4-18

DTSpider
April 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM
From the Richmond paper this morning, mostly about UR, W&M and JMU. Bad news for UR fans that Sherman Logan may be out next year (it had been rumored, but you hate to see it in print). Also included an article about JMU's QB Landers that ran today as well.

CAA Notes:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350804559&path=%21sports&s=1045855934844

JMU artcile:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350804567&path=%21sports&s=1045855934844

henfan
April 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Good job by John O'Connor. The RTD even referred to the FCS with the correct nomenclature.xthumbsupx

Tough break for Sherm Logan. Kid's a solid player.

Didn't realize that Lew Johnson went to W&M. Coach Lew still runs the Delaware Wing-T and has the UD helmets from what I understand.xbowx

mcveyrl
April 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Good job by John O'Connor. The RTD even referred to the FCS with the correct nomenclature.xthumbsupx

Tough break for Sherm Logan. Kid's a solid player.

Didn't realize that Lew Johnson went to W&M. Coach Lew still runs the Delaware Wing-T and has the UD helmets from what I understand.xbowx

That's correct. Western Branch has UD unis.

mcveyrl
April 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Wow. Holloman put on 15 pounds!! Hope that was muscle!! Also hope it doesn't take away some of the breakaway speed. Little concerned that even with the 15 pounds Mickey kept him out of spring contact.

89Hen
April 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hey, didn't we have one of his players recently? Maybe Keith Burnell? Somebody I remember being from there, help me out henfan.

henfan
April 18th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Right you are, 89Hen. Keith Burnell played at Chesapeake HS under Coach Lew.

mcveyrl
April 18th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Right you are, 89Hen. Keith Burnell played at Chesapeake HS under Coach Lew.

Not to get too technical, but I think he played at Western Branch HS in Chesapeake. There's no Chesapeake HS.

89Hen
April 18th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I just remember reading a snip-it about Burnell would feel at home because of the wing-t connection (even though UD doesn't run one anymore) and the winged helmets. xthumbsupx

Attila the Hen
April 18th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Current Hen Josh Baker, possibly the most physical TE in the CAA, also played for Lew at Western Branch, as did JMU OL Brett Ainsley. There are probably several more Western Branch grads in the CAA and FCS as well as FBS.

mcveyrl
April 18th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Current Hen Josh Baker, possibly the most physical TE in the CAA, also played for Lew at Western Branch, as did JMU OL Brett Ainsley. There are probably several more Western Branch grads in the CAA and FCS as well as FBS.

Yea, Western Branch always had a quality squad. It was always fun seeing the winged helmets in the Saturday morning papers.

Incidentally, my high school also used the winged helmets and ran the Wing-T for a little while when Mike Locke (former W&M player) was the coach.

They've inverted the colors since I went to school, but here's a recent pic:

EDIT: After looking at this picture longer, they looked better the other way

henfan
April 19th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Not to get too technical, but I think he played at Western Branch HS in Chesapeake. There's no Chesapeake HS.

That's not being technical. It's being correct. That's for the correction.

89Hen
April 19th, 2007, 08:03 AM
EDIT: After looking at this picture longer, they looked better the other way
I hope so. xeekx :D

mainejeff
April 19th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Are there ever any "CAA notes" about someone other than Delaware and JMU?

xcoffeex

andy7171
April 19th, 2007, 08:28 AM

xcoffeex
xlolx Not on this site! xlolx

Mr. C
April 19th, 2007, 08:37 AM

xcoffeex
Aren't you the official bearer of news for Maine? We need some updates on the Black Bears.

You start asking for CAA notes on other schools and UMass fan will be on here, telling us how the Minutemen are going to win the national championship. xlolx xnodx xrotatehx :) :p xrolleyesx xcoolx :o xsmiley_wix xeyebrowx ;) xeekx :D

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 19th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Wow. Holloman put on 15 pounds!! Hope that was muscle!! Also hope it doesn't take away some of the breakaway speed. Little concerned that even with the 15 pounds Mickey kept him out of spring contact.

Don't worry about Holloman, he could use the weight. I mean, even for FCS 170 lbs was somewhat of a twig. From what I understand, yes, it is muscle. The Dukes work hard on strength and conditioning on the offseason. Without the three-headed monster we had last year (seniors Maurice Fenner and NFL prospect Alvin Banks are gone), Holloman needed some extra weight to endure a long FCS schedule that will hopefully last into December! ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing what RBs we have in the hopper should something happen to Holloman... we can never get enough good RBs and TBs at JMU!

mcveyrl
April 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Don't worry about Holloman, he could use the weight. I mean, even for FCS 170 lbs was somewhat of a twig. From what I understand, yes, it is muscle. The Dukes work hard on strength and conditioning on the offseason. Without the three-headed monster we had last year (seniors Maurice Fenner and NFL prospect Alvin Banks are gone), Holloman needed some extra weight to endure a long FCS schedule that will hopefully last into December! ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing what RBs we have in the hopper should something happen to Holloman... we can never get enough good RBs and TBs at JMU!

That still doesn't explain why Mickey kept him out of practice, has me a little concerned. Bolton's tiny, but I think he's going to be a good third down back for routes out of the backfield.

GannonFan
April 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM

xcoffeex

I don't get it - the notes you are referring to mainly talked about Richmond and William and Mary. Of course, being a Virginia-based publication, that's not entirely surprising. Where'd you see the UD stuff in that publication? xwhistlex

mcveyrl
April 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I hope so. xeekx :D

Yea, they also didn't use to have that curvey thing in them either.

Col Hogan
April 19th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Aren't you the official bearer of news for Maine? We need some updates on the Black Bears.

You start asking for CAA notes on other schools and UMass fan will be on here, telling us how the Minutemen are going to win the national championship. xlolx xnodx xrotatehx :) :p xrolleyesx xcoolx :o xsmiley_wix xeyebrowx ;) xeekx :D

Hey, hey, hey.............xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Go to the Top 25 predictions...two UMass postings...neither even put us in the Top 10...

Now, where were we.......

henfan
April 19th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Odd you should mention those two schools in particular, as they are the only two not represented on the player blogs on the official CAA football website. xlolx

BTW, the CAA's FB website looks to be poised to blow away the minimal coverage previously afforded by the A-10 on their site. Amazing what can be done when a conference takes football seriously.xthumbsupx

http://www.caasports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&KEY=&SPID=4660&SPSID=48484

Col Hogan
April 19th, 2007, 10:58 AM
BTW, the CAA's FB website looks to be poised to blow away the minimal coverage previously afforded by the A-10 on their site. Amazing what can be done when a conference takes football seriously.xthumbsupx

http://www.caasports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&KEY=&SPID=4660&SPSID=48484

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!

jmuroller
April 19th, 2007, 12:09 PM
That still doesn't explain why Mickey kept him out of practice, has me a little concerned. Bolton's tiny, but I think he's going to be a good third down back for routes out of the backfield.

Why would you practice Holloman in contact drills and risk injury? I'm pretty sure they know by know that he is a pretty good runner. There is an article in the DNR today about how he is holding T. LeZotte out of contact drills also. Smart move if you ask me.

saint0917
April 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Umass has the best QB, WR's, TE's, DL's, RB's, OL's, DB's in the CAA, and FCS, we will win the NC......now I sound like umassfan. :p :p. Umass should be a playoff team again this year, but they wont make it to the NC.

GannonFan
April 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Umass has the best QB, WR's, TE's, DL's, RB's, OL's, DB's in the CAA, and FCS, we will win the NC......now I sound like umassfan. :p :p. Umass should be a playoff team again this year, but they wont make it to the NC.

Hard to tell with UMass - they still have the easier part of the CAA South to play as compared with UNH, so that's an advantage for UMass, and unless they trip up against Colgate again (always a possibility at Colgate) then they should go 2-1 easy in OOC play. But the CAA North has a lot of question marks - obviously some teams will be good and could surprise UMass.