PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Coastal Carolina University to the SoCon

SoCon48
August 1st, 2005, 08:41 PM
If the vote were held "tomorrow." How would you want your SoCon school to vote regarding Conway's Coastal Carolina University:

A. Yes. Admit Coastal Carolina to the SoCon
B. No. Not admit Coastal Carolina to the SoCon.
C. Hell yes!
D. Hell no!

State the name of your school, please; the vote, and any opinion/justification you might like to express.

Remember, this isn't the Smack folder.

rokamortis
August 1st, 2005, 08:43 PM
LOl - good one. Yes, No, and hell no - and this doesn't belong in the smack forum?

SoCon48
August 1st, 2005, 09:25 PM
LOl - good one. Yes, No, and hell no - and this doesn't belong in the smack forum?

I edited it. See if that's any better.
As to the smack, I was trying to head off any flames in the "opinions" part of posts.

rokamortis
August 1st, 2005, 09:30 PM
It is going to happen regardless - but all in good fun I suppose.

As far as CCU getting an invite - I'm not as sold as I once was. I know it is easy to say that now that all of these super secret insider tips have been posted here. I'd rather just hold on and see what happens.

SoCon48
August 1st, 2005, 09:39 PM
It is going to happen regardless - but all in good fun I suppose.

As far as CCU getting an invite - I'm not as sold as I once was. I know it is easy to say that now that all of these super secret insider tips have been posted here. I'd rather just hold on and see what happens.

Holding out for the SEC, Rok? :)

rokamortis
August 1st, 2005, 09:42 PM
ACC actually ;)

nah - I guess it is just one of those things. We are a founding member of the Big South and I'd like to see us help it grow and be successful.

rokamortis
August 1st, 2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah ralph - weird :shakingma

Lapper
August 2nd, 2005, 08:11 AM
No ... not "HELL FREAKING ARE YOU KINDING NO"....just no ;) .

OL FU
August 2nd, 2005, 08:38 AM
So the I-AA 2005, Rok and Lapper have at least one others input, I really don't have a clue but my guess would be Furman would not be supportive, but honestly it is just a guess. I would think Citadel and College of Charleston would have bigger concerns due to proximity.

Personally, I don't have the concerns of some others. Carolina Conference, small fan base, etc. I am more concerned that the next member play football.
When you consider other potential candidates (JSU , EKU or Virginia schools(former members or not), it seems less than likely that they would join. At least Coastal Carolina seems committed to a successful football program.

Also, as with other conferences, schools will come and go. I have not done the research, but I would guess the Southern has been one of the more stable over the last 25 years. With that said, I think the conference should stay ahead of the curve and CCU seems like a practical and worthwhile consideration for membership.

Eagle_77
August 2nd, 2005, 08:44 AM
If I were voting right now then I would say no. This school seems to be pushing this program but lets see what they make of themselves. There are some other schools that I would like to see what they do first. In a few years my vote may be different though.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2005, 09:14 AM
If I were voting right now then I would say no. This school seems to be pushing this program but lets see what they make of themselves. There are some other schools that I would like to see what they do first. In a few years my vote may be different though.

No doubt these issues should be considered carefully. But the other schools I have heard mentioned don't really seem very likely. Maybe there are rising stars that I don't know about.

The one thing for certain is things will change. ASU to I-A, I believe sooner or later it will happen. GSU to I-A, you probably know better than me, but I think at some point it is possible. Chattanooga to the OVC, maybe. I don't think the SoCon has to move right now, but when we get a new commish, it is a subject that has to be looked at and CCU might as well be one of the places considered. Either way, it is not going to happen tomorrow. :)

Eagle_77
August 2nd, 2005, 09:54 AM
Oh I agree. They should be considered. And you touched on some of the things I was talking about waiting on. Chatty and App St being two big ones. Our fans are ready for the move but according to recent reports money is holding us back. I still believe that it will be in the 5-10 year range before we move. It all depends on how much our fans and alum want to come off of and give the money. So I think we will be around long enough to truely be involved in what happens.

Saint3333
August 2nd, 2005, 12:09 PM
ASU is at least 5 if not 10 years away from moving to 1A if they ever do.

My vote would be for JSU to broaden the "footprint". I'd actually like to add JSU, UNCW, and bring back ETSU (even if they don't bring back football). That would help eliminate D2 games for basketball.

GSUAlumniEagle
August 2nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Yes. Not hell yes, but yes.

While they may not be a playoff contender currently, they're making strides in the right direction. It's another short trip for the GSU faithful, as well as adding something that GSU fans desperately want in a new member: a public school.

And compared to some of the other schools I've heard floating around, CCU is a pretty good bargain.

SoCon48
August 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=OL FU]So the I-AA 2005, Rok and Lapper have at least one others input, I really don't have a clue but my guess would be Furman would not be supportive, but honestly it is just a guess. I would think Citadel and College of Charleston would have bigger concerns due to proximity.

I was basically afte the fans' perspective, of course, rather than we trying to predict the conference members' presidents wishes, etc.

MarkCCU
August 3rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
I say lets hold out for the ACC, just like Rok says.