PDA

View Full Version : Hey App fans or others, I need some help...

SuperEagle
August 1st, 2005, 04:37 PM
I'm wanting to go to the GSU/App game this year in Boone and am looking for some decent places to stay. Any suggestions? BTW, I don't have to stay right in Boone. I know that's a very popular time of year and I've already seen where most of the hotels are over $120 already.
So are there any nice towns within maybe 30-40 minutes of Boone that would be a nice area to stay in? I'm just looking forward to the game but of course the mrs. would like to go somewhere that has some fun things to do.
I've looked at hotels in Lenoir and Wilkesboro and they aren't far from Boone and the hotels are very reasonably priced. However I know nothing about those towns. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

GreatAppSt
August 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Take back the "APPY" and will be more than happy to help. ;)

SuperEagle
August 1st, 2005, 05:03 PM
Take back the "APPY" and will be more than happy to help. ;)
sorry. nothing disrespectful meant by it. i was debating between App and ASU and it can't out badly wrong. Again, nothing meant by it and my apologies.

asu70
August 1st, 2005, 05:13 PM
Both of those towns are nice with plenty of eating places and shopping for the lady of the house. I would stay in Lenoir if it were me because it would be less travel and their are several hotels right on 321 which leads to Boone 30 minutes away. Also, as you go up 321, you have several attractions in Blowing rock with sight seeing, shopping, and plenty of good eating establishments. If you like BQ, I could highly recommend eating at the Woodlands in Blowing Rock and it's on 321. Also, right beside the
Woodlands is the Outback just to name a few good spots. Be sure to stop by our tailgate and have a few with us. We're located as you enter the main stadium parking lot just up from the duck pond at rivers st. and stadium drive. We'll have 2 ten feet tall Big A flags with about 25 to 30 folks with chairs and tables set up on a concrete island. Be sure to drop by and have some good football conversation.

SuperEagle
August 1st, 2005, 05:15 PM
Both of those towns are nice with plenty of eating places and shopping for the lady of the house. I would stay in Lenoir if it were me because it would be less travel and their are several hotels right on 321 which leads to Boone 30 minutes away. Also, as you go up 321, you have several attractions in Blowing rock with sight seeing, shopping, and plenty of good eating establishments. If you like BQ, I could highly recommend eating at the Woodlands in Blowing Rock and it's on 321. Also, right beside the
Woodlands is the Outback just to name a few good spots. Be sure to stop by our tailgate and have a few with us. We're located as you enter the main stadium parking lot just up from the duck pond at rivers st. and stadium drive. We'll have 2 ten feet tall Big A flags with about 25 to 30 folks with chairs and tables set up on a concrete island. Be sure to drop by and have some good football conversation.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try and stop by.
BTW to those in the know, I've tried to change the thread title and it is not allowing me. Am I doing something wrong?

SuperEagle
August 1st, 2005, 05:37 PM
There you go!
Thank you kind sir :)

asufan87
August 1st, 2005, 06:20 PM
If you really want to relax and have an enjoyable weekend consider renting a cabin in the high country. The hotels charge an arm and a leg for a small room. Check out available cabin rentals at www.vrbo.com (http://[URL=http://www.vrbo.com)] and search listings in the high country (Boone, Blowing Rock, Valle Crucis, etc.)

SoCon48
August 1st, 2005, 08:50 PM
I'm wanting to go to the GSU/App game this year in Boone and am looking for some decent places to stay. Any suggestions? BTW, I don't have to stay right in Boone. I know that's a very popular time of year and I've already seen where most of the hotels are over $120 already.
So are there any nice towns within maybe 30-40 minutes of Boone that would be a nice area to stay in? I'm just looking forward to the game but of course the mrs. would like to go somewhere that has some fun things to do.
I've looked at hotels in Lenoir and Wilkesboro and they aren't far from Boone and the hotels are very reasonably priced. However I know nothing about those towns. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

$120 isn't that bad:

1. It's a resort area
2. It's also a large tourist area (Grandfather Mt, Blowing Rock, Tweetsie, etc)
3. GSU is a big game!
4. It's still fall leaf season in the mountains
5. Better hurry and book SOMETHING or you'll be staying in Lenoir or the Wilkesboros
6. The Hampton Inn is always good, but normally that's where the visiting team (that's you!) stays.

Good luck and see you in Boone.

SoCon48
August 1st, 2005, 08:51 PM
Or bring a nice camper!!

Mr. C
August 1st, 2005, 09:33 PM
This is one of the busiest tourist weekends of the year in the High Country, complete with the Wooly Worm Festival in nearby Banner Elk. So rooms, even in Wilkesboro, Lenoir and Hickory may be hard to find. The cabin rental is a great idea. Personally, I will be hosting one of the Georgia Southern beat writers in my home that weekend. Maybe you could find some kind hearted Appalachian fan to take you in? Boone will be a zoo on Oct. 15.

Mr. C
August 1st, 2005, 09:49 PM
Good thing I didn't say Boone would be a zoo on Sept. 17.

rokamortis
August 1st, 2005, 09:50 PM
What kind of unprofessional, damaging and partial rumor are you spreading now???? xlolx

Is this the smack board?

GreatAppSt
August 1st, 2005, 10:35 PM

A cabin rental might be the best bet if your going to make a weekend of it. I'd chose Lenoir for a hotel stay, you can't get lost the Hotels are on Hwy 321 which runs from I 40 through Hickory, Morganton, then Lenoir before the big climb up the mountains to blowing rock then into Boone. BTW the AppMobile is just up the Row from 70 and his short :p flags. Look for the thiry foot pole with old glory on top and a white block A underneath it. Some RFGers and a few other GSU folks should be there. PS I love hosting food is on me. If it's cold enough I might mix up some renowned hot buttered rum cider to take the chill off.

winstoneagle
August 2nd, 2005, 06:13 AM
SuperEagle, I stayed in Lenior in 01' at the Jamison Inn, and it is only like $70 per night. I stayed on campus at the Broyhill Inn in 03' and am staying there again this year. It is pricey ($135 a night), but I figure the convenience is wort it. If my Mrs. is like your Mrs., she may not want to watch the whole game, and she can just go back up to the room (its a short drive across campus). Plus, the outlet malls are like 10 miles from campus and she can get there very easily.

SoCon48
August 2nd, 2005, 06:42 AM
SuperEagle, I stayed in Lenior in 01' at the Jamison Inn, and it is only like $70 per night. I stayed on campus at the Broyhill Inn in 03' and am staying there again this year. It is pricey ($135 a night), but I figure the convenience is wort it. If my Mrs. is like your Mrs., she may not want to watch the whole game, and she can just go back up to the room (its a short drive across campus). Plus, the outlet malls are like 10 miles from campus and she can get there very easily.

1. Thanks, I own Jamison stock. Nice divs. :cool:
2. We appreciate your business at the Broyhill Inn, as its university owned, you're helping employee lots of ASU students. Tip big! :cool:
3. Please remind the bus drivers to park the buses out of the way. The goalposts are now colapsible types, but who knows, the kids might find a way to jerk them up and carry them to the duck pond after the big upset in Boone.. ;) ;)

Eagle_77
August 2nd, 2005, 07:57 AM
Is there any snow on the ground this time a year say in like Blowing Rock? If there is snow on the ground I think I would love the cabin idea if not a hotel would be fine.

Cincy App
August 2nd, 2005, 07:57 AM
When we stay overnight, we often stay in Lenoir because the Boone hotel rates are always high on football weekends. I would also consider Morganton. My preferences are the Comfort Inn in Lenoir and then the Hampton Inn in Morganton. Hickory also has many options but it's about an hour away.

appst89
August 2nd, 2005, 08:17 AM
Wilkesboro would be just as good as Lenoir, in my opinion. There aren't as many rooms, but the drive into Boone is much easier than going up 321.

Lapper
August 2nd, 2005, 08:27 AM
Good thing I didn't say Boone would be a zoo on Sept. 17.

WOW, your unprofessional, damaging, and partial rumors never end. As for Boone being a zoo, that's petty much a year round thing. Go to TN if you have to.

GSUBass
August 2nd, 2005, 11:34 AM
This is one of the busiest tourist weekends of the year in the High Country, complete with the Wooly Worm Festival in nearby Banner Elk. So rooms, even in Wilkesboro, Lenoir and Hickory may be hard to find. The cabin rental is a great idea. Personally, I will be hosting one of the Georgia Southern beat writers in my home that weekend. Maybe you could find some kind hearted Appalachian fan to take you in? Boone will be a zoo on Oct. 15.

Would that beat writer be Scott Garner?
He's a good guy, he hosted the thursday night GSU trivia at one of the bars down in Statesboro, always a fun time. Won some cool stuff too.

Mr. C
August 2nd, 2005, 12:26 PM
WOW, your unprofessional, damaging, and partial rumors never end. As for Boone being a zoo, that's petty much a year round thing. Go to TN if you have to.
Do you you clowns ever quit? Have a sense of humor. Didn't you read Ralph's post? I haven't posted ANY rumors ANYWHERE. We're talking about Georgia Southern and Appalachian State here.

Mr. C
August 2nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Would that beat writer be Scott Garner?
He's a good guy, he hosted the thursday night GSU trivia at one of the bars down in Statesboro, always a fun time. Won some cool stuff too.
No it isn't Scott, though I count Scott as one of my many friends from 13 years of covering the SoCon.

GSUBass
August 2nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
No it isn't Scott, though I count Scott as one of my many friends from 13 years of covering the SoCon.

yeah he is a good guy.

is he going to do his column for I-AA.org again this year? Or would that be a question for Ralph?

Purple Knight
August 2nd, 2005, 09:24 PM
If you truly want a taste of the area, try the Meat Camp Lodge just north of Boone. From there, it is only about 5 minutes to Todd General Store and Cafe'. The cuisine is high-altitude French and there is a paved railroad bed to walk it off and releave pressure before the big game. Or after the game.

SoCon48
August 2nd, 2005, 10:16 PM

And Conway-Waccamaw is the cultural center of the universe. :spank: