PDA

View Full Version : Future Conference Scheduling Alliances

DFW HOYA
February 26th, 2019, 12:08 PM
"No more FCS cupcakes. No more Group of Five opponents. It’s one Power Five against another: 30 head-to-head matchups, season after season."

This is being discussed between voices in the Big 12 and Pac-12. Not many teams in this subdivision play these schools, but it could spread to other I-A conferences. The Big Ten already doesn't regularly schedule I-AA teams, would others follow?

Secondly, would any conferences in this subdivision pursue its own scheduling alliances? The Patriot-Ivy alliance has frittered away and comparably sized conferences (SoCon v. OVC) haven't pursued it.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/26/former-big-12-president-proposes-strategic-alliance-with-the-pac-12-the-conferences-should-embrace-the-future-together/

walliver
February 26th, 2019, 02:01 PM
The two conferences owning most of the recent championships are happy to schedule a FCS game and Sun Belt game every year. Most SEC and the top half of the ACC routinely play 7 home games and 5 away. They don't want to give up that revenue. TV revenue won't go up because the major broadcasters only need 5 or 6 big time matchups each week, and they're not going to get big ratings for Wake Forest vs. Vanderbilt anyway.

At the FCS level, P5 vs P5 matchups would just mean that fewer top teams make the playoffs.

FUBeAR
February 27th, 2019, 04:39 AM
The Big Ten already doesn't regularly schedule I-AA teamsNot exactly...

Big Ten TRIED not scheduling/playing FCS, beginning in 2015 - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2015/07/31/big-ten-schedule-nine-league-games-no-fcs-teams-2016/30938987/

7/31/15 - “Big Ten teams have committed to...no longer schedule Football Championship Subdivision opponents beginning in 2016, Commissioner Jim Delany said Friday.”

...but...

...Reversed that decision just 2 years later - https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/7/24/16020112/big-ten-fcs-opponents-football-scheduling

7/24/17 - “Big Ten teams are allowed to schedule FCS opponents again”

All this TALK about competition & ‘value for fans’ is BS. As my friend, Walliver, alluded, each party to these transactions, FBS Conferences, FBS Schools, & FCS Schools is going to pursue the path that makes FINANCIAL sense for them. The rest of the ‘noise’ is just posturing as the Big 10 was doing in 2015...and, let’s see, since that ‘ban’ went into effect (2016), the Big 10 has won 0 CFP (FBS) Championships, and has had 1 Team make 1 ‘playoff’ appearance, losing 31-0 to a Team that, in that same season, beat an FCS Team with a losing record by a similar score.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the ‘positive competitive aspects’ derived from eschewing the scheduling of FCS Teams, is it?

OhioHen
February 27th, 2019, 06:43 AM
"No more FCS cupcakes."

Big 12

So the Big 12 no longer wants to schedule that cupcake from Fargo. Makes sense to me.

walliver
February 27th, 2019, 08:25 AM
So the Big 12 no longer wants to schedule that cupcake from Fargo. Makes sense to me.

The Big 12 schedules their cupcake games during conference play. They should just rename the conference "the Big II and Some Other Guys".

WestCoastAggie
February 27th, 2019, 09:41 AM
"No more FCS cupcakes. No more Group of Five opponents. It’s one Power Five against another: 30 head-to-head matchups, season after season."

This is being discussed between voices in the Big 12 and Pac-12. Not many teams in this subdivision play these schools, but it could spread to other I-A conferences. The Big Ten already doesn't regularly schedule I-AA teams, would others follow?

Secondly, would any conferences in this subdivision pursue its own scheduling alliances? The Patriot-Ivy alliance has frittered away and comparably sized conferences (SoCon v. OVC) haven't pursued it.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/26/former-big-12-president-proposes-strategic-alliance-with-the-pac-12-the-conferences-should-embrace-the-future-together/

MEAC vs. SWAC could make sense.

centraljerseycat
February 27th, 2019, 09:58 AM
7/24/17 - “Big Ten teams are allowed to schedule FCS opponents again”

Hey Rutgers has to beat somebody...

BEAR
February 27th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I thought the idea for these teams wanting an FBS natty was they schedule the highest FBS teams they could beat first then the highest ranked FCS teams they could beat next. Kinda ladder down. I mean we all know some upper level FCS teams easily compare to some lower level FBS teams. Imagine if all teams had equal # schollys. Yikes. I've seen enough FBS vs FCS games to see that fatigue wears on a road FCS Team and they have no scholly player to rotate in like the FBS school does. xlolx

DFW HOYA
February 27th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Imagine if all teams had equal # schollys. Yikes. I've seen enough FBS vs FCS games to see that fatigue wears on a road FCS Team and they have no scholly player to rotate in like the FBS school does. xlolx

Imagine the fatigue of a zero-scholarship team playing a conference full of 60 scholarship teams. xeyebrowx

FUBeAR
February 27th, 2019, 10:54 AM
I thought the idea for these teams wanting an FBS natty was they schedule the highest FBS teams they could beat first then the highest ranked FCS teams they could beat next. Kinda ladder down. I mean we all know some upper level FCS teams easily compare to some lower level FBS teams. Imagine if all teams had equal # schollys. Yikes. I've seen enough FBS vs FCS games to see that fatigue wears on a road FCS Team and they have no scholly player to rotate in like the FBS school does. xlolxEXACTLY!

General Differences in ‘competitiveness’ of FBS vs. FCS

1) DEPTH (due, in large measure, to 22 more scholarships for FBS)

2) Overall Team speed
3) 1-5 (or so) ‘FREAK’ Athletes on FBS Teams and usually 0-1 of those on FCS Teams
4) A bunch of other really minor stuff that most (ignorant) fans & media like to make a big deal about

OhioHen
February 27th, 2019, 12:25 PM
The Big 12 schedules their cupcake games during conference play. They should just rename the conference "the Big II and Some Other Guys".

Like the old days when we had the "Big 2 and Little 8" - the Michigan-Ohio State game was nearly always a de facto conference championship game between unbeaten-in-the-league teams.

Professor
February 27th, 2019, 12:27 PM
I would love to see the MEAC vs the SoCon or CAA

ASU33
February 27th, 2019, 01:04 PM

I'm MEAC'd and SWAC'd out. We already have The Challenge at the start of the year and The Celebration Bowl and outside of the old SIAC schools and Southern most of us have no real rivalry or history with playing each other. I'd rather see more SWAC West vs Southland games and SWAC East vs OVC/Big South contests.

GAD
February 27th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Some are just to far apart

Panther88
February 27th, 2019, 01:50 PM
I'm MEAC'd and SWAC'd out. We already have The Challenge at the start of the year and The Celebration Bowl and outside of the old SIAC schools and Southern most of us have no real rivalry or history with playing each other. I'd rather see more SWAC West vs Southland games and SWAC East vs OVC/Big South contests.

This ^^^^.

It's inexcusable for aPVm and sTu (Grambling St/SouthernU) not to schedule HBU, ACU, Lamar, SFA, & SHSU H&H. I'll throw in McN, Nicholls, & NWSt as well, since they are regionally travel friendly.

Granted, fall 2019, aPVm hosts Nicholls and sTu hosts HBU.

PAllen
February 28th, 2019, 07:34 AM
EXACTLY!

General Differences in ‘competitiveness’ of FBS vs. FCS

1) DEPTH (due, in large measure, to 22 more scholarships for FBS)

2) Overall Team speed
3) 1-5 (or so) ‘FREAK’ Athletes on FBS Teams and usually 0-1 of those on FCS Teams
4) A bunch of other really minor stuff that most (ignorant) fans & media like to make a big deal about

You can add that the game is always (with VERY few exceptions) a home game for the FBS team.

FUBeAR
February 28th, 2019, 10:37 AM
You can add that the game is always (with VERY few exceptions) a home game for the FBS team.Well...that actually can be an advantage. The only real disadvantage is the higher likelihood of the FBS Team getting some ‘home cooking’ from the zebras, which can be significant. On the other hand, usually, the crowds aren’t too fired up over watching the game expected easy win. So, they come in late, aren’t that loud..and not a negative factor. But, if the heavily-favored Team struggles at all, the fans berating their own players & coaches and raining down barrages of BOO’s is highly likely...which gets in the heads of the favored players & motivates the underdogs. I played in 1 of these FCS over FBS upsets & coached in 2 of them (back in the 80’s)...and I also heard it when Mercer stayed close to Auburn with the ball & a shot to take the lead halfway thru the 4th quarter. Not much sweeter than hearing those BOO’s & listening to the fans give their Team ‘what for’ when leaving/returning during halftime. For me, forcing those prima dona Players & their moronic Fans to eat crow just made me go harder than any home game cheers ever did.

whoanellie
February 28th, 2019, 11:28 AM
bring your binoculars this August 31st in GSO Elon comes to town

Model Citizen
February 28th, 2019, 02:36 PM
I wonder if anyone has the data to produce a 2019 FCS open dates list. I would especially be interested in Sept 14.

Seawolf97
February 28th, 2019, 04:46 PM
I wonder if anyone has the data to produce a 2019 FCS open dates list. I would especially be interested in Sept 14.
I would like to see some home and away games with both So Con teams and Patriot League teams . We already play alot of NEC teams which is fine . May even see more NEC teams on the schedule with LIU and Merrimack having football now.

WestCoastAggie
March 1st, 2019, 06:47 AM

I hope your fans finally make the trek to BB&T Stadium this season.

WestCoastAggie
March 1st, 2019, 06:49 AM

I don't. Most of the MEAC teams will get blasted. Even our almighty Ayantee isn't safe from losses in this pairing.

Professor
March 4th, 2019, 02:27 PM

Ehh nothing against the Phoenix but we have won the last 3. And your fans aren't coming 20 mins down the road. When i speak of the CAA, i would like to see us against W&M, JMU, Towson, or Richmond. In the SoCon , i wanna see us play E Tenn St. , Chatt or Mercer.

All these teams are in a radius of our fans and very winnable

Professor
March 4th, 2019, 02:28 PM
I don't. Most of the MEAC teams will get blasted. Even our almighty Ayantee isn't safe from losses in this pairing.

At some point we have to step up our non conference so our 2nd and 3rd team in the conference can have a shot for an at large playoff birth

katss07
March 5th, 2019, 06:14 PM
You must want the MEAC to be embarrassed as well...

Panther88
March 6th, 2019, 11:47 AM

Ouch lol.

Speaking of embarrassed, our deep snappers have enrolled in Overcoming Long Snapping Adversity 101 & Long Snapping Perfection 102. We have OOC tilts vs uofh and Nicholls St. PVAMU must win both OOC games.

Professor
March 7th, 2019, 01:57 PM

Bwhahaha , all MEAC teams aren't bad. Ask Jacksonville State what happens when you look past someone. Hell PVA&M was close against you this past season. You never know till you line up in front of them

Panther88
March 7th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Bwhahaha , all MEAC teams aren't bad. Ask Jacksonville State what happens when you look past someone. Hell PVA&M was close against you this past season. You never know till you line up in front of them

Overcoming Long Snapping Adversity 101
Long Snapping Perfection 102

Here's the game. Enjoy. First year HC, first year OC, first year DC... not a bad showing in year #1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_AVjDE7FX0

GAD
March 7th, 2019, 10:18 PM
Jacksonville State didn't look past A&T, lets not forget Bethune-Cookman (MEAC) beat Southeastern Louisiana (SLC)

katss07
March 8th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Hey, there are a handful of HBCUs that I think are pretty good. I’d love to see y’all in the playoffs. But top to bottom CAA is just better.

PVAMU should’ve beaten Sam without a doubt...they just couldn’t execute a snap to save their lives.

WestCoastAggie
March 8th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Hey, there are a handful of HBCUs that I think are pretty good. I’d love to see y’all in the playoffs. But top to bottom CAA is just better.

PVAMU should’ve beaten Sam without a doubt...they just couldn’t execute a snap to save their lives.

A damn long snapper was PV's downfall against Rice also. Man, their special teams were horrific in 2018.

Panther88
March 8th, 2019, 01:16 PM
A damn long snapper was PV's downfall against Rice also. Man, their special teams were horrific in 2018.

18 year old true freshmen. Both succumbed to pressure at the wrong time. But, it was a learning situation so we rolled w/ it and forged ahead.

During spring practice, that is the ONLY position (DS/LS) I'm personally analyzing w/ a fine tooth comb.

Professor
March 8th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Jacksonville State didn't look past A&T, lets not forget Bethune-Cookman (MEAC) beat Southeastern Louisiana (SLC)

We shall agree to disagree on that one. The arrogance from their players and fans was something i hadn't seen in years. Even the FBS schools didn't talk that much smack

Bisonoline
March 8th, 2019, 03:58 PM
We shall agree to disagree on that one. The arrogance from their players and fans was something i hadn't seen in years. Even the FBS schools didn't talk that much smack

Yeah JSU tried to talk some (S--t)smack to Carson Wentz as he was coming out for the game. LOL LOL

POD Knows
March 8th, 2019, 03:58 PM
We shall agree to disagree on that one. The arrogance from their players and fans was something i hadn't seen in years. Even the FBS schools didn't talk that much smackYea, they were pretty mouthy at the Natty a few years back as well.

Professor
March 8th, 2019, 05:05 PM
My favorite 2 lines

1. Now understand young man , we ain't Alabama State, we actually play good football

2. The only A&T i know is AT&T. Are they apart of ya'll

I just said ok and smiled

LU808
March 10th, 2019, 03:42 PM
This ^^^^.

It's inexcusable for aPVm and sTu (Grambling St/SouthernU) not to schedule HBU, ACU, Lamar, SFA, & SHSU H&H. I'll throw in McN, Nicholls, & NWSt as well, since they are regionally travel friendly.

POTUS #45, donald j. trump - "Blacks are STUPID"
If you consider that Backs vote consistently for the same party that enslaved them for over a 100 years while keeping from locked in horrible inner city schools vs. voting in school vouchers so that single black women can send their kids to better schools outside the urban ghetto...then yes they are behaving stupidly.

Panther88
March 11th, 2019, 07:41 AM
If you consider that Backs vote consistently for the same party that enslaved them for over a 100 years while keeping from locked in horrible inner city schools vs. voting in school vouchers so that single black women can send their kids to better schools outside the urban ghetto...then yes they are behaving stupidly.

This is not the political board, LU. xsmhx

McNeese72
March 11th, 2019, 10:22 AM
This ^^^^.

We are playing Southern to start the season, plus we play Alcorn St this coming season. I'm hoping we get a home and home with you guys in the near future.

Doc

ursus arctos horribilis
March 11th, 2019, 01:00 PM

Panther88 stated it already but just so you know real well this **** don't fly on the FCSD board. Don't bring politics to the FCS board again or I will need to remove the FCS board form your view for doing so.

GAD
March 12th, 2019, 12:28 PM
This ^^^^.

Southern U tried in the 80s/90s really doesn't work for us

Panther88
March 12th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Southern U tried in the 80s/90s really doesn't work for for us

Return game @ home, attendance by visitors was weak, right? Your travel contingent did well at their place, right? xconfusedx Seems to be a slight norm of sorts.

GAD
March 13th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Return game @ home, attendance by visitors was weak, right? Your travel contingent did well at their place, right? xconfusedx Seems to be a slight norm of sorts.
You got it

Panther88
March 13th, 2019, 01:17 PM
You got it

Nail head... meet big hammer of truth.

Panther88
March 14th, 2019, 01:14 PM
PVAMU & HBU scheduled a H & H for 2021 & 2023.

Professor
March 14th, 2019, 01:55 PM

Same thing with us and Elon. We fill their stadium. When they come to A&T , it's less than 100 fans in the stands. I'm all for filling your own bleachers but geez.... We are literally 19 miles away from each other

Panther88
March 14th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Same thing with us and Elon. We fill their stadium. When they come to A&T , it's less than 100 fans in the stands. I'm all for filling your own bleachers but geez.... We are literally 19 miles away from each other

Wow. Sad. Sad. Sad. xsmhx

uni88
March 15th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Same thing with us and Elon. We fill their stadium. When they come to A&T , it's less than 100 fans in the stands. I'm all for filling your own bleachers but geez.... We are literally 19 miles away from each otherThat sucks. I would think it would be a fun road trip.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

fc97
March 29th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Wow. Sad. Sad. Sad. xsmhx

Lol. That's what these guys always say. We bring 1000 to their place usually. Sometimes buses of students. I mean gosh, when both were garbage neither traveled like they would. One time we played in Greensboro there were sections of Elon fans. 100 is funny, last game there were more than 100 parents there.

I hate the "they don't travel' garbage. We don't travel like an HBCU. But you think ETSU, UTC, W&M or Richmond will travel better the go for it, I'll laugh when it's the same. Like packing an away game is what makes a good match up

Professor
March 29th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Lol. That's what these guys always say. We bring 1000 to their place usually. Sometimes buses of students. I mean gosh, when both were garbage neither traveled like they would. One time we played in Greensboro there were sections of Elon fans. 100 is funny, last game there were more than 100 parents there.

I hate the "they don't travel' garbage. We don't travel like an HBCU. But you think ETSU, UTC, W&M or Richmond will travel better the go for it, I'll laugh when it's the same. Like packing an away game is what makes a good match up

I hear you , but we are the 10th highest attended game in your stadium. You guys are no where close

North Carolina A&T
September 27, 2003

Mr.Loco
April 3rd, 2019, 10:00 AM
This ^^^^.

Why schedule schools who do not travel well.

Panther88
April 3rd, 2019, 01:27 PM
Why schedule schools who do not travel well.
A majority of FCS doesn’t travel well. There are only a select few who do.

ST_Lawson
April 4th, 2019, 08:53 AM
A majority of FCS doesn’t travel well. There are only a select few who do.

Some of us don't even "home" well.

Catatonic
April 13th, 2019, 02:14 PM
This ^^^^.

xnodx

RootinFerDukes
April 13th, 2019, 02:41 PM
The P5 schools that are really opposed to this idea are the entire bottom half of P5 football schools. They'll lose even more games then they already do. It'll impact fan and donor perception and the stands will be empty when Rutgers and Minnesota, Kansas and Iowa State, Boston College, etc. start regularly winning maybe 1 to 3 game a season.

RootinFerDukes
April 13th, 2019, 02:47 PM
At the FCS level, P5 vs P5 matchups would just mean that fewer top teams make the playoffs.

Well other than the $$ that the athletic departments would be missing out on, which is the real reason they're scheduled to begin with. Lets be honest.

You're right though. If fewer FCS play P5 or FBS, their losses won't be "excused" like they currently are, and will actually impact their playoff resume.

aceinthehole
April 19th, 2019, 11:03 AM
It looks like the NEC is building an 'unofficial' FBS scheduling alliance with the Mid American Conference (MAC).
NEC vs. FBS Opponents (2017-2023)

Bryant

Central Michigan

CCSU

Syracuse

Ball State

Eastern Michigan

Toledo

Duquesne

UMass & Hawaii

Charlotte

Hawaii

West Virginia

LIU

Miami (OH)

Robert Morris

Buffalo

Bowling Green

Saint Francis

Buffalo

Eastern Michigan

Akron

Wagner

Western Michigan

Syracuse

UConn & FAU

Buffalo

I would also note that the NEC's first ever FBS game was CCSU at Western Michigan (2009); and Duquesne played at Buffalo (2014) for their first FBS opponent.