PDA

View Full Version : FCS Indoor Practice Facilities

gvilleapp
April 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Appalachian expects to open its indoor practice facility this summer. The foundation is finished and structural steel is now in place. It will have a 80 yd X 60 yd. field turf surface that will allow normal practices during snow and rain, something we really need with our climate.

Do any other other FCS schools have a facility like this?

DetroitFlyer
April 15th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Dayton is in the process of opening up one as well.

DFW HOYA
April 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM

What's a practice facility? xeyebrowx

MplsBison
April 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Dayton is in the process of opening up one as well.

Serious?

If that's true then that's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

If you have the financial commitment to get a multi million dollar facility built, then why the heck aren't you increasing scholarships?

MplsBison
April 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
What's a practice facility? xeyebrowx

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/lou/graphics/tragercentermain-350.jpg

PapaBear
April 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Maine has an air-supported bubble/dome about the same size (I think it's 65 or 70 yards long, not 80) with field turf.

No plans for a steel-supported structure, that I know of.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I think the self supporting buildings are about 10 million whereas the inflated bubbles are probably only a couple million.

Weird that Maine has fieldturf indoors but astro at the stadium.

Lionsrking
April 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Appalachian expects to open its indoor practice facility this summer. The foundation is finished and structural steel is now in place. It will have a 80 yd X 60 yd. field turf surface that will allow normal practices during snow and rain, something we really need with our climate.

Central Arkansas has one.

tarmac
April 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
what school is that in the pic ture above? What is the length and width and the field?

dbackjon
April 15th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Well, NAU has the dome, so can always practice indoors :)

(except during basketball/indoor track season) xbangx

BeauFoster
April 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
The pic is of UofLouisville's practice facility. From the website:

The indoor practice facility features a 120-yard FieldTurf field, a 100-meter four-lane sprint track, pole vault and long jump pits, as well as, batting cages for both baseball and softball. It's also equipped for the soccer, field hockey and lacrosse teams to use.

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/facilities/lou-trager-center.html

DetroitFlyer
April 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/facilities/PAC.html

Ours is a multi-purpose indoor facility. The old physical activities center, ( PAC ), was replaced by a new, $25 million center for the university. The old center is being renovated to further support UD athletics, including football. We also have a new, very nice outdoor practice field, in addition to Welcome Stadium. Once you review the above link, check out some of the other information on the site. The current opening screen advertises our spring game on Saturday, April 21, 2007.

We may not provide scholarships, but we have facilities that rival any school in FCS.

GOKATS
April 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
MSU is in the capital campaign phase for facility improvements, one of which is an indoor practice facility- the plan is to have a full 100 yard field encompassed by a 5 lane 300 meter track.

dbackjon
April 15th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Ours is a multi-purpose indoor facility. The old physical activities center, ( PAC ), was replaced by a new, $25 million center for the university. The old center is being renovated to further support UD athletics, including football. We also have a new, very nice outdoor practice field, in addition to Welcome Stadium. Once you review the above link, check out some of the other information on the site. The current opening screen advertises our spring game on Saturday, April 21, 2007.

We may not provide scholarships, but we have facilities that rival any school in FCS.

Which is PRECISELY why schools like Dayton must compete in D-I for ALL Sports. It is not fair to small D-III schools to have to play the Dayton's of the world in Football.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Which is PRECISELY why schools like Dayton must compete in D-I for ALL Sports. It is not fair to small D-III schools to have to play the Dayton's of the world in Football.

Exactly.

And now that they're here you'd think they might as well try to add some scholarships and compete.

Who knows, maybe they'd be the next Miami OH.

I suppose title IX is holding them back.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2007, 05:16 PM
MSU is in the capital campaign phase for facility improvements, one of which is an indoor practice facility- the plan is to have a full 100 yard field encompassed by a 5 lane 300 meter track.

Like Akron's?

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics19/0/HD/HDFYBBNCXQQBLMQ.20060629160134.jpg

EKU05
April 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM

You nailed it. That statement should be the end of that discussion forever (but it won't be).

EKU05
April 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
The pic is of UofLouisville's practice facility. From the website:

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/facilities/lou-trager-center.html

I live in Louisville. It's a terrific facility...and only about 2 or 3 years old I think. It's within spitting distance of Papa John's Cardinal Stadium itself which is about to be expanded to around 63,000 in capacity (all chairback...as far as I know it's still the only on campus college stadium in the country that can claim that). My point being that Louisville is seriously competing with the big boys in terms of facilities now.

As for EKU...

We don't have an indoor practice facility. Incliment weather usually sends the team into the side by side basketball courts of Weaver Gymnasium...which was the main basketball facility prior to 1962. It's an old building.

We do have a full size field turf practice field out near the Presnell football building now, but the Roy Kidd Stadium field is still natural grass for the time being (so obviously the team doesn't practice in the stadium itself).

JoshUCA
April 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM
http://www.ucasports.com/ucasports.asp?id=7
Above is a link to UCA's facility...the Pepsi Americas Center. It does not have all the bell's & whistles, but it gets the job done.

A few more pics can be found here:http://sandbox.ucafans.com/photostack/index.php?gallery=./Facilities/Pepsi%20Center

Mich Griz
April 15th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Serious?

If you have the financial commitment to get a multi million dollar facility built, then why the heck don't you get some winning teams firts.

Reed Rothchild
April 15th, 2007, 07:01 PM
UNI has a terrific DOME that they get access to whenever they want. Now that the basketball teams have an arena they don't have to share that anymore.

dbackjon
April 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Serious?

If you have the financial commitment to get a multi million dollar facility built, then why the heck don't you get some winning teams firts.

MSU's Football team has five straight winning seasons, including 3 Big Sky titles (all shared). Seem to be doing a good job at that...

GOKATS
April 15th, 2007, 08:23 PM
MSU's Football team has five straight winning seasons, including 3 Big Sky titles (all shared). Seem to be doing a good job at that...

.....and the Cats have beat the griz 3 out of the last 5.xnodx xlolx

BEAR
April 15th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Above is a link to UCA's facility...the Pepsi Americas Center. It does not have all the bell's & whistles, but it gets the job done.

A few more pics can be found here:http://sandbox.ucafans.com/photostack/index.php?gallery=./Facilities/Pepsi%20Center

Yeah, the $2 million Pepsi Center also has a bathroom for those much needed breaks.....

http://t2.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1133367988773&id=64b48913361c1b8db5a874296c66c367

GOKATS
April 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Like Akron's?

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics19/0/HD/HDFYBBNCXQQBLMQ.20060629160134.jpg

Must be similar, that's about the only info that's been released so far.

CatFan22
April 15th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Serious?

See: dbackjon's response.

AZGrizFan
April 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM
.....and the Cats have beat the griz 3 out of the last 5.xnodx xlolx

And 3 out of the last, what, 21? xrolleyesx :D

FlyYtown
April 16th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Youngstown State will be building one in the next 2-4 years. I personally think they are just waiting to move the current turf over to it when they build it; because in 2010 I believe we are getting new field turf at Stambaugh once again.

Our's will have a track according to documents I have read, but will not be nearly as nice as Akron's..... Could this lead to the MAC?
WE CAN ONLY HOPE!

andy7171
April 16th, 2007, 07:02 AM

If you consider this an indoor practice facility for football, then Towson uses their Towson Center facility for practice too. Although I think there is a huge difference between having a turf field to actually practice on normally and having a rubberized court to basically walk through plays and run sprints in.

Am I the only one who thinks that tracks around indoor practice fields looks ugly? :D

PapaBear
April 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Weird that Maine has fieldturf indoors but astro at the stadium.

You got that right. They're working on getting FieldTurf for the stadium, too ... hopefully before this coming season.

BeauFoster
April 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that tracks around indoor practice fields looks ugly? :D

Ask 95% of the ASU fans out there and they will not only agree with you about tracks and practice fields, they will complete the thought and include stadiums, too! xlolx

NE MT GRIZZ
April 16th, 2007, 12:16 PM

That would be an incredible enhancement for you guys.
I know the track team would love a 300m track.
You don't have to run those tight turns.

Opportunites to make money on all kinds of camps.

Batting cages would be nice too.xthumbsupx

CopperCat
April 16th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Serious?

We've had plenty of winning teams recently (at least in football).

If you haven't been paying attention, the last few years have been plagued by weather when spring drills start. They get put off, sometimes for up to a week or more, and the team doesn't get as much practice time. The practice fields are at the east end of the valley where the weather gets rather nasty (I've watched it for 17 years, I should know) so an indoor facility makes alot of sense. While UM had just finished up spring drills, MSU had barely started because the weather was still bad.

citdog
April 16th, 2007, 05:06 PM
REAL MEN PRACTICE AND PLAY OUTDOORS!

dbackjon
April 16th, 2007, 05:08 PM
REAL MEN PRACTICE AND PLAY OUTDOORS!

Tell ya what - take your butt up to Bozeman, or Fargo and practice in below freezing temps, with snow falling, and then get back to us :D

CopperCat
April 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Tell ya what - take your butt up to Bozeman, or Fargo and practice in below freezing temps, with snow falling, and then get back to us :D

I had a buddy who went to the Citadel citdog, and I know that your weather down there doesn't even come close to what we've got going on up here. dback is spot on! ITS FLIPPIN' COLD HERE IN THE SPRINGTIME WHEN THE SNOW IS FLYING AND THE WIND IS BLOWING!!!

appfan2008
April 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM

wow that is one nice facility you guys have... very impressive

JoshUCA
April 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
wow that is one nice facility you guys have... very impressive

Thanks...we are proud of it!

citdog
April 16th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I had a buddy who went to the Citadel citdog, and I know that your weather down there doesn't even come close to what we've got going on up here. dback is spot on! ITS FLIPPIN' COLD HERE IN THE SPRINGTIME WHEN THE SNOW IS FLYING AND THE WIND IS BLOWING!!!

you do have roads and airplanes that will take you away from all of that nonsense don't you?

dbackjon
April 16th, 2007, 05:30 PM
you do have roads and airplanes that will take you away from all of that nonsense don't you?

so they should move spring practice to Arizona? xrolleyesx

citdog
April 16th, 2007, 05:32 PM
so they should move spring practice to Arizona? xrolleyesx

maybe, but people shouldn't live in climates not conducive to human life

dbackjon
April 16th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Like Charleston? :D :hateshumidity:

GOKATS
April 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM

We'll put up with a little cold and snow to avoid certain sub-species.xnodx We don't need gills to breath the air. :D

citdog
April 16th, 2007, 07:58 PM
We'll put up with a little cold and snow to avoid certain sub-species.xnodx We don't need gills to breath the air. :D

And what species would that be?

CopperCat
April 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM

Unless you know of an airplane big enough that can move an entire college and its fanbase to somewhere more temperate, I'd say that we are going nowhere.

igo4uni
April 16th, 2007, 09:12 PM

I actually enjoy the 4 seasons.

GOKATS
April 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM
And what species would that be?

You had your ticket pulled on another train........

I'll leave it at that.

appfan2008
April 16th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I actually enjoy the 4 seasons.
as do i and that 3 inches of snow last night in boone was wonderful

Appstate29
April 17th, 2007, 11:49 AM
as do i and that 3 inches of snow last night in boone was wonderful

:pumpuke:

citdog
April 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM
You had your ticket pulled on another train........

I'll leave it at that.

i have no idea what you are talking about

Hammerhead
March 22nd, 2021, 02:23 PM
Since this is one reason why the Montana schools aren't playing this spring, how many teams have indoor practice facilities outside of the MVFC? Northern Arizona and Idaho have indoor stadiums and may not have separate indoor practice fields. NDSU is almost ready to start work on a dedicated facility for football although the Fargodome has been available most of the spring and we have a bubble that is mostly used by the women's soccer team.

melloware13
March 22nd, 2021, 02:43 PM
UD converted their field house from an indoor track (used to host basketball way back) to indoor facility at some point this decade, I'd like to say around 2015.

Sader87
March 22nd, 2021, 05:09 PM
Holy Cross does...this video is a couple years old....I think the indoor football field is 80yds in length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs9nxbZJJ_g

Schism55
March 22nd, 2021, 09:06 PM
Holy 14 year old thread necro Batman!

JALMOND
March 23rd, 2021, 12:03 PM
Portland State needs to first work on getting an on-campus stadium, then we can worry about an indoor practice facility.

btw...whatever happened to the indoor practice facility the Montana State fans were boasting about 14 years ago (early on in this thread)?