PDA

View Full Version : Possible new GSU transfer QB...

Baldy
April 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7Zw8oznF4 xwhistlex xeekx

His HS team hasn't lost a game in 3 years, and also won the high school NC his senior year. Oddly enough, the QB he replaced, Chris Griffin, is already on the GSU roster. He also beat out Tim Tebow as the MVP of the Florida/California All-Star Game. And as if this couldn't be more strange...the only time he played QB was his senior year. This kid was way under the radar, and as the video tells, he has unbelievable athletic ability.

BTW, he's 6'3" 225 and runs a 4.56 40. If he does decide to transfer, he'll be a Freshman. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
April 15th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Why is he choosing GSU? If he's as good as you say, and hasn't used up much eligibility, why not transfer to a bigger name?

Is GSU ever going to put a cap on these transfers? Is there a precendent of "transfer-U" is appearing?

April 15th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Why is he choosing GSU? If he's as good as you say, and hasn't used up much eligibility, why not transfer to a bigger name?...Such as???? Georgia Southern has a big name doesn't it? Don't start with that FBS junk because I remember a certain QB from a certain BCS champ school transferring to Furman ... after he had started as a freshman at that FBS school... sooooooooooo...

Baldy
April 15th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Why is he choosing GSU? If he's as good as you say, and hasn't used up much eligibility, why not transfer to a bigger name?
Kinda like Ingle Martin???? xrolleyesx

I didn't "say" anything about him being good. I just pointed out some facts about the kid, and that highlight film kinda speaks for itself.

McNeese75
April 15th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Impressive HS QB. Where did all his receivers end up (they looked really good, :) )

813Jag
April 15th, 2007, 07:17 AM
His HS team hasn't lost a game in 3 years, and also won the high school NC his senior year. Oddly enough, the QB he replaced, Chris Griffin, is already on the GSU roster. He also beat out Tim Tebow as the MVP of the Florida/California All-Star Game. And as if this couldn't be more strange...the only time he played QB was his senior year. This kid was way under the radar, and as the video tells, he has unbelievable athletic ability.

BTW, he's 6'3" 225 and runs a 4.56 40. If he does decide to transfer, he'll be a Freshman. xthumbsupx
What College did he go to? Lakeland stays loaded and with Running back Chris Rainey slicing defenses it makes it easier to air it out.

CSUBUCDAD
April 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Wonder what happened to the Northern Illinois commit? Anybody got the inside scoop on why he is possibly backing down from them?

appfan2008
April 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM
what is funny about this to me is that gsu is a bigger name than most fbs schools and generally (not last year) is better than most of them too.

and as pointed out... furman is the king of qb transfers and will never have room to talk on the matter after martin...

good luck with that kid gsu... would like to see you back to so when we beat you it will actually mean something!

MarkCCU
April 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Is GSU ever going to put a cap on these transfers? Is there a precendent of "transfer-U" is appearing?

Grambling...oops I mean Georgia Southern is a big name school in FCS. What are you talking about!? Ralph is right on this one...xpeacex

Come on Paladin, at GSU had a bad season in '06 but they still have a great rep. And they didn't lose to CCU soooooooooo...ouch that wasn't right. xlolx

appfan2008
April 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Grambling...oops I mean Georgia Southern is a big name school in FCS. What are you talking about!? Ralph is right on this one...xpeacex

Come on Paladin, at GSU had a bad season in '06 but they still have a great rep. And they didn't lose to CCU soooooooooo...ouch that wasn't right. xlolx
xnonox haha funny but still very close to getting this sent to smack!xnonox

thirdgendin
April 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM
and as pointed out... furman is the king of qb transfers and will never have room to talk on the matter after martin...

You really haven't been around long, have you? xsmhx In Furman's I-AA/FCS years, I believe we've only had 1 transfer QB, and he was a great one.

GSU's current QB is a transfer so we're at least equal. And anyone in the SoCon can tell you that Chattanooga and Citadel have been battling for the title of "king of qb transfers" in the SoCon for at least a decade now.

appfan2008
April 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
maybe so but they have not had one as good as martin so...

hey i dont think we have ever had one up here in boone...

but i really dont want to start nothing... so no big deal...

OL FU
April 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM
From where is he transferring?

PSUVikings
April 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM
He ain't no Rhett Bomar but he looks good.

OL FU
April 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Such as???? Georgia Southern has a big name doesn't it? Don't start with that FBS junk because I remember a certain QB from a certain BCS champ school transferring to Furman ... after he had started as a freshman at that FBS school... sooooooooooo...

While Paladinfan may have sounded a little condenscending, his remarks had nothing to do with your response. Furman had Martin for two years. Martin came to Furman because he did not want to sit on the bench at UF and he did not want to sit out a year to go somewhere else in FBS. I am quite sure if Martin could have transferred without penalty he would have transferred to an FBS school. This guy may be transferring to FCS for the same reason, he does not want to sit out a year.

Now to Paladinfans other comment about GSU ending all the transfers, it is my opinion that GSU has not proven to be transfer U yet. They picked up a lot of transfers when they changed coaches and offensive schemes last year which was to be expected. I am not sure if it has continued this year but if it has that would not be surprising either. But the main point, I doubt there is a playoff capable team in FCS that would not take a great or really good QB transfer from FBS

April 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
... I doubt there is a playoff capable team in FCS that would not take a great or really good QB transfer from FBSor from anywhere! xnodx

OL FU
April 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM
or from anywhere! xnodx

Very True

phillyAPP
April 15th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Transferring is not cheating, its part of the game.

Transfers usually pick teams that win !

youwouldno
April 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
what is funny about this to me is that gsu is a bigger name than most fbs schools and generally (not last year) is better than most of them too.

good luck with that kid gsu... would like to see you back to so when we beat you it will actually mean something!

One transfer does not make Furman the "king" of QB transfers. What BS.

Btw, Martin transferred to Furman because he had already used up three years of eligibility so he had to transfer to an FCS program. Plus, he came from Florida, i.e. an elite FBS program. Northern Illinois, not so much.

KJ Eagle
April 15th, 2007, 05:19 PM
From where is he transferring?

Northern Illinois I believe. Maybe he didn't like the cold weather....:)

Kill'em
April 15th, 2007, 08:34 PM
It is Northern Illinois but before anyone gets too far ahead of themselves, it is still just a rumor. Personally, I like him. He is a big, strong kid with good mobility. His passing didn't impress me much, though. From what I have read about him he was a three-year starter at linebacker then switched to QB when the coaches saw him throw. We'll see how this turns out. Geez, if it is one position that we're loaded, it is QB. Two of them have moved to the secondary during the spring.

youwouldno
April 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I don't think quantity is what matters at QB. Quality is much more important, since usually one player (if healthy) gets almost all the playing time (unlike most positions). GSU certainly is much weaker at the position than App St, FU, El Cid, at least.

Mr. C
April 15th, 2007, 10:40 PM
maybe so but they have not had one as good as martin so...

hey i dont think we have ever had one up here in boone...

but i really dont want to start nothing... so no big deal...
Does the name Daniel Jeremiah ring a bell? Jeremiah transferred to Appalachian State from Northeast Louisiana (now Louisiana-Monroe). He and David Reeves battled back and forth for the starting job in 1998-2000 before Jeremiah's knee injury and Reeves' poor play opened the door for Joe Burchette to become the starter.

PaladinFan
April 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Hang on...forgot about this thread, let me qualify.

This guy will apparently have four years of eligibility left. Ingle Martin didn't want to sit behind Leak and would only have one year if he transferred to another FBS.

Berating me about Ingle Martin is off the topic. My question is still why would this kid, who apparently beat out Tim Tebow in something or other, transfer to GSU with three, possibly four, years of eligibility. Martin had, at most, two years. That is a completely different situation. It isn't to say that GSU isn't a good program, but I'd like to know the "why"

Baldy
April 15th, 2007, 11:42 PM

This guy will apparently have four years of eligibility left. Ingle Martin didn't want to sit behind Leak and would only have one year if he transferred to another FBS.

Berating me about Ingle Martin is off the topic. My question is still why would this kid, who apparently beat out Tim Tebow in something or other, transfer to GSU with three, possibly four, years of eligibility. Martin had, at most, two years. That is a completely different situation. It isn't to say that GSU isn't a good program, but I'd like to know the "why"
The "why" is pretty self explanatory. In fact, the "why" was explained in the first post of this thread.

seantaylor
April 15th, 2007, 11:43 PM

He would have had 2 years. He had 3 at Furman, so why would he lose 2 years going elsewhere?

appfan2008
April 15th, 2007, 11:49 PM
he only had 2 at furman didnt he?

Mr. C
April 15th, 2007, 11:58 PM
He would have had 2 years. He had 3 at Furman, so why would he lose 2 years going elsewhere?
Ingle Martin played at Furman in 2004 and 2005 after playing at Florida in 2003. Might want to get your facts straight before you correct someone.

Kill'em
April 16th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I don't think quantity is what matters at QB. Quality is much more important, since usually one player (if healthy) gets almost all the playing time (unlike most positions). GSU certainly is much weaker at the position than App St, FU, El Cid, at least.
I looking foward to see what we have at the spring game. From what I have read, Clark is playing really well. Having a former QB as a Head Coach should do wonders for him and the other QB's. QB might turn out to be a strength. There is no questioning Clark has the talent.

youwouldno
April 16th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Well Furman liked Clark enough to offer him. I think we would have gotten him too, until Southern Miss came in with an offer pretty late in the game. Even though GSU massively underachieved in 2006 Clark put up pretty bad numbers. Hatcher will be a help but QB remains a huge question mark. FU's Gray has some questions around him as well, but it's nice having Sorrells and Worley behind him.

OL FU
April 16th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Northern Illinois I believe. Maybe he didn't like the cold weather....:)
Who could blame himxeekx

Kill'em
April 16th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I might just be overly optimistic but I think Clark is going to have a big year.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I might just be overly optimistic but I think Clark is going to have a big year.

Has a lot of room to improve. If that Oak State running back is the deal it will take a lot of pressure off of him.

He will "improve" if all he does is shovel pass to Jayson Foster. xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Just to clear it up, Ingle Martin was redshirted as a freshman, spent his r-fr year as Rex Grossman's backup, was named starter to begin r-sophomore year, started four games before losing the job to Chris Leak, transferred to Furman as a R-JR.

Kill'em
April 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Has a lot of room to improve. If that Oak State running back is the deal it will take a lot of pressure off of him.

He will "improve" if all he does is shovel pass to Jayson Foster. xsmiley_wix
Agreed. I think this is why Clark struggled in the second half of the season. The running game stalled and it looked like Clark tried too hard to do it by himself. His confidence suffered and so did his numbers. If Hamilton and Lewis run the ball effectively, Clark will have a big year.

At least, it couldn't be worse than last year.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Agreed. I think this is why Clark struggled in the second half of the season. The running game stalled and it looked like Clark tried too hard to do it by himself. His confidence suffered and so did his numbers. If Hamilton and Lewis run the ball effectively, Clark will have a big year.

Well, second half of the season the Eagles saw tougher defenses.

citdog
April 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Oh yes it can, and don't be suprised when it is!

Kill'em
April 16th, 2007, 11:52 AM
It won't be.

pete4256
April 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Well Furman liked Clark enough to offer him. I think we would have gotten him too, until Southern Miss came in with an offer pretty late in the game. Even though GSU massively underachieved in 2006 Clark put up pretty bad numbers. Hatcher will be a help but QB remains a huge question mark. FU's Gray has some questions around him as well, but it's nice having Sorrells and Worley behind him.

Correctamundo.

Until Clark or someone else proves otherwise, QB remains the biggest question in terms of depth/talent. Other than that position, GSU is deep and athletic on offense.

But there's no telling how the team will adjust to the new scheme (though we should remember that, unlike last year, there IS a scheme--a proven one at that).

And if QB play is as bad as last year, we'll struggle again to get to the good side of .500 (which would be a huge shame considering both the athletic ability and adversity faced by guys such as Jayson Foster).

pete4256
April 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM

This from a C.S.A. apologist (not to mention an irrational Eagle-hater).

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Correctamundo.

Until Clark or someone else proves otherwise, QB remains the biggest question in terms of depth/talent. Other than that position, GSU is deep and athletic on offense.

But there's no telling how the team will adjust to the new scheme (though we should remember that, unlike last year, there IS a scheme--a proven one at that).

And if QB play is as bad as last year, we'll struggle again to get to the good side of .500 (which would be a huge shame considering both the athletic ability and adversity faced by guys such as Jayson Foster).

Clark isn't a bad ballplayer. From what I saw last year he undershot a lot of receivers and didn't get much help from his running backs against the better teams. Still, the key to success for the Eagles will be getting the ball to Jayson Foster.

citdog
April 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM
This from a C.S.A. apologist (not to mention an irrational Eagle-hater).
The former I am PROUD to be, the latter I certainly am not.

flexbone
April 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Apparently, it has been confirmed by his dad, today.

bobbythekidd
April 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Apparently, it has been confirmed by his dad, today.
How do you gys alwaqys beat me to it? Things are getting interesting in the 'boro. Wish he was around for the Spring Training.

http://www.tscsports.com/tscforum/index.php/topic,560.10.html

phillyAPP
April 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Congradulations to GSU. That is a great pick-up.

Now I hope APP gets a few transfers on our D-Line that people have been rumoring about.

Is it Football season yet ?????????? HELL YA

Laserlips
April 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Thread on the NIU forum verifies Billy Lowe will transfer to GSU in May..

Except for obviously needing no assistance in whupp'in the Citadel we need all the help we can get!

JP

citdog
April 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Thread on the NIU forum verifies Billy Lowe will transfer to GSU in May..

We need all the help we can get!

JP

finally a voice of reason from south ga

Mr. C
April 16th, 2007, 05:24 PM

From what I saw of Clark, I wasn't tremendously impressed. He had a lot of technical flaws, didn't handle pass rush pressure very well and missed a lot of open receivers in the games I saw (live and on tape). Being that everyone is learning a new system, Clark really doesn't have a lot of advantages heading into next season. I would expect Hatcher to find his own guy (probably one of the younger guys) and develop him.

Mr. C
April 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Congradulations to GSU. That is a great pick-up.

Now I hope APP gets a few transfers on our D-Line that people have been rumoring about.

Is it Football season yet ?????????? HELL YA
App State doesn't need any transfers. The DLs on hand have everything, but experience. ASU always has talented DLs. Watch out for DE Tony Robertson, who had an impressive spring, and Anthony Williams at DT. And the freshmen group coming in is suppose to be special, too.

appfan2008
April 16th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I agree with you mr. c but a quick question... how long will tharrington be out... as soon as he will be back we will be all good...

and even if we arent as good as you and i think on our dl... we all know our linebackers and our 4 senior dbs will be able to handle anything

Mr. C
April 16th, 2007, 05:32 PM
How long will Tharrington be out from what?

blueballs
April 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM
From what I saw of Clark, I wasn't tremendously impressed. He had a lot of technical flaws, didn't handle pass rush pressure very well and missed a lot of open receivers in the games I saw (live and on tape).

I am a GSU fan/booster and I agree with that assessment. Somebody is still going to have to beat him out as he is the only QB on hand who has any kind of college game experience to speak of.

Hatcher and Gillespie are pretty high on the February signee, Lee Chapple out of Greater Atlanta Christian, but it is anybody's guess how he'll do going from class A in GA to the SoCon.

seantaylor
April 17th, 2007, 02:18 AM
How long will Tharrington be out from what?

Suspended for stabbing people.

PaladinFan
April 17th, 2007, 08:49 AM

come again?

seantaylor
April 17th, 2007, 11:24 AM
come again?

He stabbed someone on campus. The Appy's know about this. They are just keeping it tight-lipped.

appmountaineermaniac
April 17th, 2007, 11:37 AM
You nappy headed ho, it did not happen on campus. You dont know what your talking about please refrain from inaccurate accusations that arent true.

flexbone
April 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM
would u care to clear up the confusion?

youwouldno
April 17th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Stabbing someone is pretty bad, on campus or off. Not that I know anything of this incident.

Appstate29
April 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM
would u care to clear up the confusion?

As far as I know everything is just rumor and nothing has come out thats official.

Mr. C
April 17th, 2007, 12:03 PM
He stabbed someone on campus. The Appy's know about this. They are just keeping it tight-lipped.
And just how do you know this?

Black Saturday
April 17th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I agree with you mr. c but a quick question... how long will tharrington be out... as soon as he will be back we will be all good...

and even if we arent as good as you and i think on our dl... we all know our linebackers and our 4 senior dbs will be able to handle anything

I agree with you on APPs dbs and backers being good, but certainly what has helped their glory, and is often overlooked, is a good and experienced defensive front. And we certainly had one in '06. Plays begin at the line of scrimmage. Remember the disruption these DL caused opponents all year and especially in the playoffs, That was championship form. FCS struggled to score when things mattered. I only hope we can get our young Dline some experience so we can make it to the playoffs.xthumbsupx

Black Saturday
April 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Ok GSU, You want to compare each programs RAP sheets?

I think everyone knows who would have more pages.xrulesx

Kill'em
April 17th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Care to elaborate?

PaladinFan
April 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Seriously. Anyone care to clear this up?

blueballs
April 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM

I don't think ASU wants to go there either.

I remember a mob of ASU folks willfully and maliciously attacking and destroying GSU property in 2003 with the vandalism of the GSU team bus and the trampling of the team's food as well as bumrushing and assaulting fans who were guilty of nothing more than trying to leave the stadium with young kids in tow.xnonox

PaladinFan
April 17th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I don't think ASU wants to go there either.

I remember a mob of ASU folks willfully and maliciously attacking and destroying GSU property in 2003 with the vandalism of the GSU team bus and the trampling of the team's food as well as bumrushing fans who were guilty of nothing more than trying to leave the stadium with young kids in tow.xnonox

gah, don't start with that. This will become the longest back and forth thread of all time.

KJ Eagle
April 17th, 2007, 04:23 PM

What exactly would our RAP sheet include??? Two guys who were in somone else's car last year when marijuana were found? Did you miss the fact that neither one of them was charged with anything becuase it wasn't theirs?xnonox

GaSouthern
April 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM
and they tested clean there-after.

bobbythekidd
April 17th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Moving to the smack board in 10...9...8...

phillyAPP
April 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM

SHI? like this makes ALL of us SMELL

I congradulate GSU again for their transfer and can't wait to see him "On the Rock"

seantaylor
April 17th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Tharington stabbed someone in The Library. It's a club, not the actual library. Again, the majority of the Appy's know about this.

Mr. C
April 17th, 2007, 08:52 PM
And you actual evidence (police report, newspaper link, or something similar) of this? Or are you just perpetuating some rumors from a message baord somewhere?

PaladinFan
April 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Tharington stabbed someone in The Library. It's a club, not the actual library. Again, the majority of the Appy's know about this.

Why would this not be published by now?

rokamortis
April 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM
And you actual evidence (police report, newspaper link, or something similar) of this? Or are you just perpetuating some rumors from a message baord somewhere?

We don't need actual evidence to post rumors on AGS, right?

Mr. C
April 17th, 2007, 10:35 PM
We don't need actual evidence to post rumors on AGS, right?
If you are telling me that the stuff I post on here is "RUMOR" and that I don't have evidence to support my posts, you are barking up the wrong tree. Don't be dredging up stuff that has nothing to do with what we are talking about here. xsmhx xnonono2x xnonox xmadx

rokamortis
April 17th, 2007, 11:01 PM
If you are telling me that the stuff I post on here is "RUMOR" and that I don't have evidence to support my posts, you are barking up the wrong tree. Don't be dredging up stuff that has nothing to do with what we are talking about here. xsmhx xnonono2x xnonox xmadx

All I'm saying is that's what I've seen posted here before in response to some who question rumors posted without facts. It is relevent to your post.

Mr. C
April 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Is is facts when you have representatives of four different schools and two conferences confirming the information you have? Or is that still a rumor? In addition to that, having a student athlete confirming a story as well. To me that isn't a rumor. Your anger at me about Coastal Carolina was that I didn't reveal confidential sources on this message board.

The stuff being talked about with Appalachian State is from TWO message boards, with one getting its information from another one that is very notorious. There isn't anything that has been substantiated by ANY official sources, or confidential sources either.

rokamortis
April 17th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Is is facts when you have representatives of four different schools and two conferences confirming the information you have? Or is that still a rumor? In addition to that, having a student athlete confirming a story as well. To me that isn't a rumor. Your anger at me about Coastal Carolina was that I didn't reveal confidential sources on this message board.

The stuff being talked about with Appalachian State is from TWO message boards, with one getting its information from another one that is very notorious. There isn't anything that has been substantiated by ANY official sources, or confidential sources either.

I didn't say anything about any of what you posted above. I simply stated what i've seen before posted on AGS, that this board is for scuttlebut and speculation and facts do not need to be presented. That is all. Do you disagree with that premise?

Mr. C
April 17th, 2007, 11:38 PM
On subjects like alleging that someone has commited a crime, yes I do think we should be more careful. There is a big difference between saying that someone is going to transfer to your school and saying that a player has been suspended for stabbing someone.

rokamortis
April 18th, 2007, 12:14 AM
On subjects like alleging that someone has commited a crime, yes I do think we should be more careful. There is a big difference between saying that someone is going to transfer to your school and saying that a player has been suspended for stabbing someone.

Perhaps you are right, but as of right now there does not appear to be any written rules to cover those exceptions.

thirdgendin
April 18th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I guess the most telling thing here is the lack of ASU fans who have come to deny these allegations. That seems to speak volumes.

seantaylor
April 19th, 2007, 03:18 AM

Not my fault you have an absolute thug in your family. I know you know the story. Just admit it.

phillyAPP
April 19th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Being from Furman, you should know when something is so stupid that it is not worth talking about.Don't you think it would be in the newspaper or don't you think he would be kicked off the team by now.

Eaglegus2
April 19th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Let me get this thread back on topic.

Several have expressed that they want to know why Billy Lowe is transferring to Georgia Southern. When Coach Hatcher was at Valdosta State Billy Lowe was heavily recruited to come to VSU. Coach Hatcher had built up a repore with Billy's father. Once, it had become clear that Billy wasn't happy with the offensive scheme at Northern Illinois. Billy began to look for schools to transfer. Billy's father had seen where Coach Hatcher had gotten the coaching job at Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern was looked into and the choice was made. Billy Lowe will become an Eagle in May when he transfers from Northern Illinois. Besides, Lakeland, Fl isn't that far from Georgia Southern and the family will be able to see Billy play football.

thirdgendin
April 19th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Being from Furman, you should know when something is so stupid that it is not worth talking about.Don't you think it would be in the newspaper or don't you think he would be kicked off the team by now.

I don't know the story at all, and I'm not sure what's beyond the pale here as it seems widely accepted that there was some incident/fight involving ASU football players at a local bar. I know that many fans would normally not let an allegation like this go unchallenged, and I was surprised by it. xcoffeex

Kill'em
April 19th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Several have expressed that they want to know why Billy Lowe is transferring to Georgia Southern. When Coach Hatcher was at Valdosta State Billy Lowe was heavily recruited to come to VSU. Coach Hatcher had built up a repore with Billy's father. Once, it had become clear that Billy wasn't happy with the offensive scheme at Northern Illinois. Billy began to look for schools to transfer. Billy's father had seen where Coach Hatcher had gotten the coaching job at Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern was looked into and the choice was made. Billy Lowe will become an Eagle in May when he transfers from Northern Illinois. Besides, Lakeland, Fl isn't that far from Georgia Southern and the family will be able to see Billy play football.
Billy's dad is going to be at the Blue-White Game, Saturday.

phillyAPP
April 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM
All the football news in April great for ALL the Socon teams.
GSU is going to have alot of quarterback competition.

Mr. C
April 19th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Northern Illinois has a new offensive coordinator, Roy Wittke, who had been in the middle of the QB mess at Arizona State last year. He left that ASU after one year to come to NIU. He had been Houston Nutt's OC for three years at Arkansas before that. He's a pretty standard fare OC/QB coach.

Former Western Carolina head coach Bill Bliel had been at NIU for awhile, but he has now moved on somewhere else.

pete4256
April 19th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Northern Illinois has a new offensive coordinator, Roy Wittke, who had been in the middle of the QB mess at Arizona State last year. He left that ASU after one year to come to NIU. He had been Houston Nutt's OC for three years at Arkansas before that. He's a pretty standard fare OC/QB coach.

Former Western Carolina head coach Bill Bliel had been at NIU for awhile, but he has now moved on somewhere else.

Roy Wittke--didn't he make his mark coaching Tony Romo at Eastern Illinois?

I believe he turned down the GSU OC job before last season.

Mr. C
April 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Not my fault you have an absolute thug in your family. I know you know the story. Just admit it.
First of all, it's not my family anymore than Georgia Southern is Don Heath's, Mike Brown's or Alex Pellegrino's family. Secondly, there have been some fly-by-night message boards that have mentioned that there may have been a fight with some players at a local establsihment (the range of possible rumors of what happened have been quite wild, but there hasn't been ANY newspaper story, or police report that has been released). I don't know anything more about it, other than hearing the same poorly-sourced rumors you have.

You should know by now that I have never shyed away from good stories, or bad in covering App State over the years. I wrote one story in 1995, for example, about the arrest on assault charges of an ASU starting FB the week that the Mountaineers were playing for an undefeated regular season and the Southern Conference championship. The kid was a friend of mine (who was later acquitted, the arrest was the case of faulty police work and mistaken identity), but I wrote the story anyway. I have NO information from any source I would trust on the current issue.

That being said and getting back on topic, I think Georgia Southern has apparently picked up a good QB prospect. Chris Hatcher has a reputation for developing QBs, so it is no surprise he would attract a player of that caliber.

phillyAPP
April 19th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Thank you Mr. C

I hate the "off the field" crap, being from philly I know it just ruins the football atmosphere, and in the end the bad people get weeded out.

Laserlips
April 19th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Additionally:

When the fall and winter rolls around Billy won't be playing in NORTHERN ILLINOIS!

I'm thinking a young man from Lakeland, Fl. will be a bit happier with the weather and consequent field conditions back "heah".. xthumbsupx

And we are darn lucky to have snagged him.. I think ALL of our quarterbacks will flourish under the tuteledge of Coach Hatcher..

Our previous head coach didn't know how to spell "offense", or "quarterback", much less coach those areas..

That's why his present job description as a coach with the Atlanta Falcons starts out "Asst. Defensive".......

Thank you BVG for leaving... Thank you Coach Hatcher for coming... And welcome to the GSU family to Billy Lowe and his folks..

J. Pomeroy

PaladinFan
April 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Again, reserve judgement. Eagle fans also thought Clark, Mortensen, and Stanford were going to save their quarterback situation. From accounts this guy played one year at QB and played for a bad team.

Do we even know if he was a scholarship player at NIU, or a walkon?

soweagle
April 19th, 2007, 10:54 AM
First of all, it's not my family anymore than Georgia Southern is Don Heath's, Mike Brown's or Alex Pellegrino's (before she left Statesboro) family.

Mr C.
Did I read that correct, Alex has left Statesboro?

Eagle_77
April 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM

The funniest thing about this whole mess that I think has been over looked is that this was brought up by a App fan not a rival school. Its kinda hard for other schools fans not to have questions in a situation like this.

Laserlips
April 19th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Again, reserve judgement. Eagle fans also thought Clark, Mortensen, and Stanford were going to save their quarterback situation. From accounts this guy played one year at QB and played for a bad team.

Do we even know if he was a scholarship player at NIU, or a walkon?

FWIW:

Billy Lowe played one year at qb for Lakeland, Fl., and I believe they won the Fl. State Championship that year.. Previous to his qb year he was a liinebacker I think.

Billy was a "2 star" recruit, and he was recruited as qb, and on scholarship at NIU.

I don't think if each of those qb's you mentioned played above expectations it could have salvaged the terrible season from the incompetent head coaches decisions. BVG was determined to pound the square peg of his vision into the round hole that he inherited.. (If you remember we were 8-3 the previous season). I believe most GSU fans were under the impression, wrong, that BVG being a defensive specialist would come to town, shore up the defense, hire a 3/0 offensive coach to take care of that side of the program and we would be good to go..

BVG came to town, Mr. Big Shot, and never made any effort whatsoever to become a member of the GSU "family".. He thought he was hot stuff, and we bought into it, for a while. Then under actual game conditions BVG simply was over his head as the head coach.

BVG bailed at the first opportunity, and threw the program, incld. recruiting, and HIS asst. coaches under the bus. Other than for making excuses as to why it wasn't his fault that we had the worse season in modern GSU football he had little to say.

You are indeed correct in that there are no guarantees in life in anything, and how a young man succeeds or fails in a specific area is all a part of that.

All Coach Hatcher can do is the best he can.. I actually think I'd almost (almost being the key word here) rather lose under Coach Hatcher than win under the faux Head Coach BVG..

You know we had a terrible season last year. We lost Erk, Teddy, and our kickers, bless their little pea-pickin' hearts couldn't hit squat. BVG was inflexible in his decisions, on and off the field.. BVG left Jayson Foster, who is undisputably one of the absolute best atletes in the SOCON on the bench for much of the season.

Basically last season we were being led by a blind man with an attitude, and under Coach Chris Hatcher we will be led by a proved winner at head coaching, who is happy to be at GSU and has already become a member of the GSU and Statesboro community.

World of difference..

I'm not saying we'll kick everybodys butts this season upcoming, but I honestly feel our GSU Eagles will bring back respect to the GSU football program than we didn't have or deserve last season.

And when that difference appears on the field you can trace that change directly to the new head coach...

Just my old fart opinion, and dissenting opinions welcomed. Even those who think BVG was more than just EGO..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

phillyAPP
April 19th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Man, You are right on the money.

THe whole program will back on course,soon. This year I believe.

The SoCon is getting better and better. Its what makes it so much fun.

I went to GSU this year and really enjoyed the football atmosphere. I had to deal with a few loud-mouths but it was a great game and most people were great.

I also won a brag dollar from a coworker that played for GSU !!!

soweagle
April 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
FWIW:

Billy Lowe played one year at qb for Lakeland, Fl., and I believe they won the Fl. State Championship that year.. Previous to his qb year he was a liinebacker I think.

Billy was a "2 star" recruit, and he was recruited as qb, and on scholarship at NIU.

I don't think if each of those qb's you mentioned played above expectations it could have salvaged the terrible season from the incompetent head coaches decisions. BVG was determined to pound the square peg of his vision into the round hole that he inherited.. (If you remember we were 8-3 the previous season). I believe most GSU fans were under the impression, wrong, that BVG being a defensive specialist would come to town, shore up the defense, hire a 3/0 offensive coach to take care of that side of the program and we would be good to go..

BVG came to town, Mr. Big Shot, and never made any effort whatsoever to become a member of the GSU "family".. He thought he was hot stuff, and we bought into it, for a while. Then under actual game conditions BVG simply was over his head as the head coach.

BVG bailed at the first opportunity, and threw the program, incld. recruiting, and HIS asst. coaches under the bus. Other than for making excuses as to why it wasn't his fault that we had the worse season in modern GSU football he had little to say.

You are indeed correct in that there are no guarantees in life in anything, and how a young man succeeds or fails in a specific area is all a part of that.

All Coach Hatcher can do is the best he can.. I actually think I'd almost (almost being the key word here) rather lose under Coach Hatcher than win under the faux Head Coach BVG..

You know we had a terrible season last year. We lost Erk, Teddy, and our kickers, bless their little pea-pickin' hearts couldn't hit squat. BVG was inflexible in his decisions, on and off the field.. BVG left Jayson Foster, who is undisputably one of the absolute best atletes in the SOCON on the bench for much of the season.

Basically last season we were being led by a blind man with an attitude, and under Coach Chris Hatcher we will be led by a proved winner at head coaching, who is happy to be at GSU and has already become a member of the GSU and Statesboro community.

World of difference..

I'm not saying we'll kick everybodys butts this season upcoming, but I honestly feel our GSU Eagles will bring back respect to the GSU football program than we didn't have or deserve last season.

And when that difference appears on the field you can trace that change directly to the new head coach...

Just my old fart opinion, and dissenting opinions welcomed. Even those who think BVG was more than just EGO..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

All of this is true and this was all started by Baker. Mr. C, I owe you an apology. I disagreed with your article at the time and now I know you were pretty much right on the money.

bobbythekidd
April 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Mr C.
Did I read that correct, Alex has left Statesboro?
She was there on Monday.

Mr. C
April 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
She was there on Monday.
She told me at the SoCon tourney she was leaving for another job. Maybe she had a change of heart.

Mr. C
April 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
All of this is true and this was all started by Baker. Mr. C, I owe you an apology. I disagreed with your article at the time and now I know you were pretty much right on the money.
It takes a big man to apologize about something sometimes. I appreciate your words and readily accept your apology. Just was trying to do my job.

seantaylor
April 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Alex is still in Statesboro, and is not leaving for another job.

Mr. C
April 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Thank you Mr. C

I hate the "off the field" crap, being from philly I know it just ruins the football atmosphere, and in the end the bad people get weeded out.
We should have taken this discussion to a different thread long ago (my apologies to our GSU friends that this is being discussed and has been hijacking your much more interesting thread). I have an update on the ASU thing which I will continue on another thread.

Best of luck to Billy Lowe. I look forward to seeing this youngster play for the Blue and White.