PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Spring Game

PapaBear
April 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Went to see the Hens go at it this afternoon. Here are a few random observations. I'd be interested in how UD fans saw things...

1. Flacco can crank the ball and throws a consistently tight spiral. Was somewhat inconsistent with his accuracy today, but that's to be expected after throwing all winter on air or against defenders wearing shorts, with no pass rush and nice, straight-ahead throwing lanes. He does remind me of those old style Drew Bledsoe-type QBs, though. Kind of ponderous. And I'd like to see him express a little more emotion out there. But he sure can sling that seed.

2. Backup QBs both looked good, too.

3. No. 88 Crosby a redshirt freshman WR had a nice day. But overall ... don't shoot me, here, UD folks ... I really didnt see a blazing fast gamebreaking receiver out there today. Lots of possession guys. But no one that'll give a secondary nightmares.

4. Cuff played sparingly, as you'd expect. Butler, the Wisconsin transfer, was pretty impressive at RB.

5. LB play very tough -- especially against the run. But man do they grab and hold receivers in pass coverage. (Especially downfield in what looked like that Tampa-2 coverage ...)

6. What struck me most was the somewhat subdued tone of the scrimmage. Coaches on the defensive side were intense, but the players on the field ... I don't know, just not a lot of fire, it seemed.

Great fun, overall. Crowd numbered probably 3,000, if I had to guess. What a stunning facility. Can't wait to go to a game there when it's packed and screaming.

Later...

SunCoastBlueHen
April 14th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Went to see the Hens go at it this afternoon. Here are a few random observations. I'd be interested in how UD fans saw things...

1. Flacco can crank the ball and throws a consistently tight spiral. Was somewhat inconsistent with his accuracy today, but that's to be expected after throwing all winter on air or against defenders wearing shorts, with no pass rush and nice, straight-ahead throwing lanes. He does remind me of those old style Drew Bledsoe-type QBs, though. Kind of ponderous. And I'd like to see him express a little more emotion out there. But he sure can sling that seed.

2. Backup QBs both looked good, too.

3. No. 88 Crosby a redshirt freshman WR had a nice day. But overall ... don't shoot me, here, UD folks ... I really didnt see a blazing fast gamebreaking receiver out there today. Lots of possession guys. But no one that'll give a secondary nightmares.

4. Cuff played sparingly, as you'd expect. Butler, the Wisconsin transfer, was pretty impressive at RB.

5. LB play very tough -- especially against the run. But man do they grab and hold receivers in pass coverage. (Especially downfield in what looked like that Tampa-2 coverage ...)

6. What struck me most was the somewhat subdued tone of the scrimmage. Coaches on the defensive side were intense, but the players on the field ... I don't know, just not a lot of fire, it seemed.

Great fun, overall. Crowd numbered probably 3,000, if I had to guess. What a stunning facility. Can't wait to go to a game there when it's packed and screaming.

Later...

Thanks for the observations, PapaBear!

I'd just like to add that the Hen's biggest gamebreaking threat at WR, Aaron Love, was held out of the spring game as the shoulder he injured last season continues to heal after surgery.