PDA

View Full Version : A little National Pub for The Game...

Pard94
August 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM
Check this out...am I wrong is Lafayette vs. Lehigh the only I-AA game listed? Not even Harvard/Yale! Gotta love it (unless your Harvard or Yale)!!

www.rivalrysaturday.com

GannonFan
August 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
It looks like just the games he went (or is going) to - aren't Harvard/Yale and Lehigh/Lafayette more often than not on the same day?

colgate13
August 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
You even got some picture love on the site:

https://ssl1.gmti.com/jackson/forms/rivalsaturday/images/leheigh.jpg

Pard94
August 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Jackson State at Southern University

Oh well...yeah...there is that game as well. Whoops :o

Pard94
August 1st, 2005, 01:52 PM
It looks like just the games he went (or is going) to - aren't Harvard/Yale and Lehigh/Lafayette more often than not on the same day?

Well yeah. If your going to write "an oddessey inside college football's most storied games", you'd naturally have to go to a Laf/Lehigh game. If UD/Nova were one of "college football's most storied games", they'd plan on going to one of those. Who knows...in another 100 years or so, maybe it will be.

GannonFan
August 1st, 2005, 03:04 PM
Well yeah. If your going to write "an oddessey inside college football's most storied games", you'd naturally have to go to a Laf/Lehigh game. If UD/Nova were one of "college football's most storied games", they'd plan on going to one of those. Who knows...in another 100 years or so, maybe it will be.

Getting a little testy, aren't we? I don't think I said anything about the UD/nova series, nor did I say that is was storied. All I said was that the Lehigh/Lafayette game was on there rather than the Harvard/Yale simply because he coudn't go to both as they were the same day. My post was in reference to an earlier post noting that Lehigh/Lafayette was included rather than Harvard/Yale. Shouldn't you wait for someone to boast about UD before you start talking smack in response? - I think you jumped the gun here.

Pard94
August 1st, 2005, 03:36 PM
Getting a little testy, aren't we? I don't think I said anything about the UD/nova series, nor did I say that is was storied. All I said was that the Lehigh/Lafayette game was on there rather than the Harvard/Yale simply because he coudn't go to both as they were the same day. My post was in reference to an earlier post noting that Lehigh/Lafayette was included rather than Harvard/Yale. Shouldn't you wait for someone to boast about UD before you start talking smack in response? - I think you jumped the gun here.

Perhaps I did jump the gun. It's Monday. No offense intended. Please keep in mind, until recently, I was alone on this board. I think I have developed a "come out swinging" approach. I'll try to be more amicable in the future.

You are correct that the 2 "The Game"'s are played on the same weekend generally. I must admit that I was a little surprised that we got the nod as opposed to Harvard Yale. They are certainly more well known on a national scale.

Ivytalk
August 1st, 2005, 04:51 PM
Well, they list two games for 11/20 (Lehigh-Lafayette and Michigan-OSU), so Harvard-Yale drew the short straw. USC-UCLA, among others, also missed the cut. Good picks...they don't bother me any!

blukeys
August 1st, 2005, 06:36 PM
I'm happy that they mentioned ANY I-AA games. Maybe they threw I-AA a bone. I hope not. However in I-AA there is certainly some competition for a great rvialry game. W&M and richmond comes to mind.

Nova - UD does not have the History of Lehigh-Lafayette, or Yale-Harvard or UM -MSU.
But anyone who hasn't been to a Nova - UD game cannot appreciate the intensity of emlotion or the competitiveness of the game regardless of the record of the teams.
One team could be 0-11 and the other could be 11-0 and the game still will not be decided till the 4th quarter with a last minute drive. Hats off to Lehigh - Lafayette for a continued storied rvilary. But it is not the only good game out there.

The Philly sports stations have just begun picking up on this in the last few years. Here's hoping they don't blow it in the future.

Mr. C
August 1st, 2005, 10:43 PM
Year in and year out, it seems like the Villanova-Delaware game always comes down to the last play of the game, with a lot riding on the outcome. If I could choose one place to be that weekend, that is where I'd want to go.

FightinBluHen51
August 2nd, 2005, 08:35 AM
Year in and year out, it seems like the Villanova-Delaware game always comes down to the last play of the game, with a lot riding on the outcome. If I could choose one place to be that weekend, that is where I'd want to go.
They do. If the series had been played consecutively since the inception of it, this match up would rank right up there with all of the others. Unfortunately, with only 38 games played, and counting, it isn't nearly enough to qualify as being on the "national" radar scope, IMO. Are there any other rivlaries that are this close with under 50 games played in the series? What about over 50 games played in the series?