PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Preseason Write Up Begun

colgate13
August 1st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Shamless self promotion: I've started my preseason write up on my blog, The 13 Yard Line (http://colgate13.blogspot.com/). This is a fairly big project, so I'm going one team at a time, in descending order of predicted finish.

First up, Georgetown in at #7...

Feedback is welcome! :)

Pard94
August 1st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Does your wife know you've underatken this task? I have to imagine this is going to take up the last bit of freetime you have.

Nice job...although, given how cocky the Hoya's headcoach is ("Lafayette doesn't worry me", etc.), clearly you shouldn't even be covering them for another 5 or 6 weeks! If you ask him you should proabably go ahead with our write up first and write up G'town sometime after Colgate and Lehigh in the top three of the league. Puhlease :rolleyes:

ngineer
August 1st, 2005, 10:11 PM
Gosh, 13---where do you get the time. It's 11:10 p.m. and I've got my work done, put the garbage out, balanced the checkbook, and here I am...Great job on a team I know very little about.

Andy
August 2nd, 2005, 12:55 AM
Can someone slip the Georgetown folks a note with the numbers 3-31 on it? They'll win some games eventually because they ARE getting some good recruits, but until then, please, shut up.

I took a look at the GT class, 27 kids, no bios, but here's some stuff that has me pretty impressed with the class:

OL Tom Hutton 6'4" 290 Rivals 2* 5.0 rating 370bench/25 550 squat no formal Div 1 offers, but claims lots of walk-on invites and 1AA offers not specified

WR Brent Tomlinson 6'1" 190 Rivals 2* 5.0 rating 4.6 30" vertical 11 reps. no offers listed

TB Justin Tillman 5'8"-5'9" 170-180 Rivals 2* 5.0 rating as ATH. 4.5 31" vert 13 reps 4.35 shuttle offered by Temple

QB Ben Hostetler 6'2 180 2nd team AS big schools MD 1400 yds 16 TDs pass 8 rush holds school record for interceptions--10

QB Coil Blair gave him a lot of respect in their pre-game write-up and 13 likes him

DL Manny Navarro 6'0" 250 NJ Super 100

WR Charles Totten 6'2" 180 3rd AS PA class-4A

LB Nick Umar 6'2" 215 NJ N-S all-star game

OL Brendan Gilroy 6'2" 270 HM AS PA class-4A

LB Justin Young 6'0" 210 HM AS PA class-3A

QB Brad Hartung the Bergen QB

Nice talent at the top, quality at the QB position, good receivers. nice class--bunched with other middle of the pack PL classes, can we grade it more than a B? Geographic diversity, no bios, makes it tough to find out too much about too many. Interested in LBPop's opinion and others of course

DFW HOYA
August 2nd, 2005, 06:02 AM
Nice job...although, given how cocky the Hoya's headcoach is ("Lafayette doesn't worry me", etc.), clearly you shouldn't even be covering them for another 5 or 6 weeks! If you ask him you should proabably go ahead with our write up first and write up G'town sometime after Colgate and Lehigh in the top three of the league.

Benson wasn't being cocky, he was trying to promote his team, a team which the Lehigh Valley press doesn't cover, much less study. How many Morning Call or Express-News writers even give Georgetown a chance to win one league game? Then again, how many really know that much about the Hoyas to begin with?

And yes, Georgetown should have beaten Lafayette last year. Georgetown held a 6-3 lead into the fourth quarter, and LU took the lead on a tipped ball at the two yard line after a bad decision by a QB in his first start to throw the ball out of the end zone.

JoltinJoe
August 2nd, 2005, 06:35 AM
Nice write-up, Gate13. That was far better than any other preview I've read in any college football mag. (No offense, Ralph, still waiting on yours).

I agree G-Town brought in some great talent, particularly at the skill positions, but I still gather there is some ground to close with the rest of the league.

While we've had our way with Georgetown over the last 10 years, as both a MAAC and PL team, those days are coming to an end in the next few years, I think. That's a welcome development for everyone in the league. I expect the once great Fordham-Georgetown rivalry to heat up again once that happens. Although that means the Hoyas won't be a sure "W" any longer, it is better for Fordham football in the long run that the Georgetown game will create more interest on both campuses.

Now, remember to remind me why a resurgent Hoya program is good for us after Georgetown hangs that first "L" on us.

Pard94
August 2nd, 2005, 07:06 AM
Benson wasn't being cocky, he was trying to promote his team, a team which the Lehigh Valley press doesn't cover, much less study. How many Morning Call or Express-News writers even give Georgetown a chance to win one league game? Then again, how many really know that much about the Hoyas to begin with?

And yes, Georgetown should have beaten Lafayette last year. Georgetown held a 6-3 lead into the fourth quarter, and LU took the lead on a tipped ball at the two yard line after a bad decision by a QB in his first start to throw the ball out of the end zone.

In my mind he was taking an overconfident position in order to promote his team. One might say he was being cocky. That's all well and good. he has the right. However, those kinds of statements have a way of coming hoom to roost.

Would of, could of should of...they didn't win. Lafayette "should have beat Delaware and gone on to win the National Championship...except Delaware won.

colgate13
August 2nd, 2005, 07:44 AM
Thank you for the comments. This is the inspiration needed to complete the project!

Fordham
August 2nd, 2005, 08:03 AM
13, awesome job ... incredible actually. You're a great ambassador for the PL (seriously).

I would, however, like to offer the pre-emptive and perfunctory, "this is BS" when it comes to your Fordham write-up. or would it be better if I waited until I've read it first?

Again, well done.

colgate13
August 2nd, 2005, 08:13 AM
I would, however, like to offer the pre-emptive and perfunctory, "this is BS" when it comes to your Fordham write-up. or would it be better if I waited until I've read it first?

Hmmm... Maybe I will keep that piece in now about some unruly Fordham fans. ;)

Fordham
August 2nd, 2005, 08:32 AM
talk to Pop. Apparently that's all part of our charm.

Andy
August 2nd, 2005, 08:43 AM
With Lafayette turning the ball over 5 times, yes, Georgetown should have won. But the Hoyas only managed 130 yds. of total offense to LCs 270 and 8 first downs vs 16. Playing at home, against a team with a QB having all of 30 mins. varsity experience and one senior on defense, getting 5 turnovers--the Hoyas couldn't get it done.

colgate13
August 2nd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Next on tap: #6 Holy Cross (http://colgate13.blogspot.com).

colgate13
August 2nd, 2005, 01:43 PM
BTW, anyone else see that the PL coaches and media preseason poll (http://patriotleague.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080205aaa.html) mirrors my own!

Hmmm... wait, that could mean bad things! :D

OL FU
August 2nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Very Nice Job. Still four weeks before we start, when you do release your SoCon write-ups? :D

Once again, very nice job.

JoltinJoe
August 2nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
13, awesome job ... incredible actually. You're a great ambassador for the PL (seriously).

Again, well done.

A good point there, Fordham. Before I get too profuse in my praise, I should wait to see 13's preview of the Rams, which should be out in another six ;) days.

colgate13
August 2nd, 2005, 02:22 PM
A good point there, Fordham. Before I get too profuse in my praise, I should wait to see 13's preview of the Rams, which should be out in another six ;) days.

Keep it up and it will be tomorrow!

Fordham
August 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
wow, where'll you find the time to get all of the schools done by tomorrow?!?

you ... complete ... me.

LBPop
August 2nd, 2005, 04:21 PM
Interested in LBPop's opinion and others of course

So you're the one interested in my opinion--with two teenagers (one at home and one at Georgetown), that makes a total of one! :D

With respect to Coach Benson, I think DFW and others have it right. Benson is trying to display confidence (bordering on being cockey) to send a message--probably to his own team. I think it's a bit out of character for him, but I think he believes that the Hoyas are ready to make some noise in the League and he's willing to risk the likelihood that his quotes will find their way onto locker room walls.

I completely appreciate 13's effort and his opinions. I have said before that if I were on the outside looking in, I would see nothing to make me optimistic about Georgetown's chances. Last year there were a lot of "wouldas and couldas" and after a while, that stuff gets old. However, after watching the PL for a season and after watching spring ball, I can tell you these guys have many of the "tangibles". Now, if only they can capture the "intangibles".

I'll be at a couple of the preseason scrimmages. If you see me crying "poormouth" after that, you'll know what I really think... ;)

LBPop
August 2nd, 2005, 04:50 PM
talk to Pop. Apparently that's all part of our charm.

Charm?? Hey, I liked my visit to Fordham, but I will have to go back and check my posts for the word "charm". Don't believe I used that word. In fact, I don't know that I have ever seen the word "charm" and the words "New York" in the same sentence. :D ;) :rolleyes:

ngineer
August 2nd, 2005, 10:37 PM

Point of information. Lafayette is a college. Whenever I see "LU" I interpret Lehigh--around here, the LC v. LU distinction is huge-and not to be confused! ;) :read: :nono: :D

justballn21
August 3rd, 2005, 01:11 AM
great article about the cross colgate i think you missed a key freshmen though.... chris smith is probably one of our biggest prospects.

One of 50 players honored as a National Player of the Year by Old Spice Red Zone ... A two-time All-Western New York selection ... Received the Trench Trophy during his junior and senior years ... Won the Jim Burt Award as the best defensive lineman in western New York, and the Vaughan Parker Award as the best offensive lineman in western New York ... Became the first lineman in history to win both of those awards ...

other then that great write-up shows you really did your homework.

colgate13
August 3rd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks justballin21 -

About Smith, I guess he didn't get on my radar screen because he wasn't really an all state selection. Not that the distinction matters much if there are 10 kids going to USC in front of him, but he just didn't stand out as much.

If I remember correctly, you're on the defensive side of the ball. Any honest opinions on who is going to step it up this year?

colgate13
August 3rd, 2005, 07:37 AM
Update on Georgetown: Kim Sarin, their leading rusher last year, appears to have had back surgery in the off season and there is some doubt about how much playing time he'll receive...

Ouch! Looks like the Hoyas will be going to sophomore Davis a lot more than perhaps they planned.

LBPop
August 3rd, 2005, 09:01 AM
Ouch! Looks like the Hoyas will be going to sophomore Davis a lot more than perhaps they planned.

You are wired in, 13. Yes, Kim Sarin is not at full speed as we move into summer camp, but Davis is a real player. Before learning about Sarin's condition, I already suspected that his role would have been somewhat different this year--more like a Brian Westbrook type of back. Also, don't forget Slayton who as a sophomore two years ago was a real contributor. If the line can get these guys some room, they will do just fine. There's that word again...IF.

Andy
August 3rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks justballin21 -

About Smith, I guess he didn't get on my radar screen because he wasn't really an all state selection. Not that the distinction matters much if there are 10 kids going to USC in front of him, but he just didn't stand out as much.

If I remember correctly, you're on the defensive side of the ball. Any honest opinions on who is going to step it up this year?
Smith is second team all-state large schools, easy to miss cause they left it out of his bio.

Andy
August 3rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=LBPop]So you're the one interested in my opinion--with two teenagers (one at home and one at Georgetown), that makes a total of one! :D

I've got a couple of teenagers, too. I wish they'd be as respectful and courteous to me as they are to, oh, complete strangers.

Pop, as the father of a player and, therefore, a veritable insider, I was seeking your opinion on the GT recruiting class.

Ken_Z
August 3rd, 2005, 12:28 PM
hey Colgate13, where do you get all the energy? i know the pre-season write-ups take some time, but i am really referring to your "debates" with Rambacker on the Fordham board.

seriously, enjoying your previews and look forward to reading your take on the Bison. somewhere, you had asked about the night game with G'town. Bucknell has played early season (basically read September) night games for several years now, although i only recall 7 PM game times so a 6 PM kickoff is a bit of a surprise.

kind of interesting that the strength is supposed to be the D this year. that was usually the case during the Gadd years, but that quickly changed when he had to leave.

colgate13
August 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
hey Colgate13, where do you get all the energy? i know the pre-season write-ups take some time, but i am really referring to your "debates" with Rambacker on the Fordham board.

I'm glad to see it's not just for posterity!

I hope to get at least through #3 this week, and the final two by the end of this week. I've got some down time now, so I'm trying to pump these out!!!

LBPop
August 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
Pop, as the father of a player and, therefore, a veritable insider, I was seeking your opinion on the GT recruiting class.

I really have no information other than what has been posted by others. I have not even seen an official list yet. I know that the staff was very pleased and did land a couple of kids that were sought by other PL schools. The incumbent players are always skeptical--they've seen the heavily hyped kids who ultimately can't play at the Division I level and they've also seen the pleasant surprises.

I plan to attend at least one of the pre-season scrimmages and when I'm not scrutinizing a certain sophomore, I will be anxiously checking out the freshmen. I will be happy to offer my observations and I will try not to be wearing those rose colored glasses. ;)

justballn21
August 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
well I'm not at liberty to say much about the defense itself, but from an athletes prospective I'd look for both Chris Nielson and MAtt Dugan to come up big this year. Nielson is a strong lad and has 4.7 quickness, while dugan is more of a speed lb who is faster then Nielson. if anything these two should anchor a Holy Cross defense that has been introduced to a new scheme. It's really hard to say who will step up otherwise, but I'd say our secondary will be one of our strong points, with two-time patriot league player of the week Ken Flanders at SS and top 2004 prospect Obi Green at free safety, who got offers from some noatable I-A schools, including BYU. Other then that its really ahrd to tell until the season starts. I myself am an outside backer but will probably miss most of this season as well. I'm hoping to make the field soon, but only time and the way my body responds to recovery will tell.

Andy
August 3rd, 2005, 04:32 PM
Fair enough. Thanks.

I haven't seen an official list, but there are 27 freshmen on your updated 05 roster.

I'm envious of the coverage on the Hoyasaxa.com site. They're currently running the first of their weekly pre-season reports--this one on the RBs and QBs.

colgate13
August 3rd, 2005, 05:57 PM
look for #5 sometime Thursday morning... I got delayed...

DFW HOYA
August 3rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Georgetown recruit list:
http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/fb-2005recruits.htm

MU Alum
August 4th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Do any Patriot League guys see Sacred Heart having any chance over Holy Cross?

colgate13
August 4th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Do any Patriot League guys see Sacred Heart having any chance over Holy Cross?

Two years ago, yes. Now? No. But if they do win, my opinion of HC goes down a few notches. I think they're really doing something right there and that will cause some head scratching.

colgate13
August 4th, 2005, 09:51 AM
FYI -

#5 Bucknell is now posted to the 13 Yard Line (http://colgate13.blogspot.com)

Fordham
August 4th, 2005, 09:54 AM
phew! Better to be on deck than at bat.

And, MU, I don't know enough about SH specifically to give any odds, but I know that given how tough our games v. Duquesne have been, I wouldn't be shocked by the occassional upset of a PL by a mid-major. Disappointed - yes, shocked - no.

ngineer
August 4th, 2005, 11:38 AM
phew! Better to be on deck than at bat.

And, MU, I don't know enough about SH specifically to give any odds, but I know that given how tough our games v. Duquesne have been, I wouldn't be shocked by the occassional upset of a PL by a mid-major. Disappointed - yes, shocked - no.

I agree. Having witnessed Albany and Stony Brook play us last year, it was clear that we had more depth and overall the better team, but they do bring some players and never quit. SB kept our game relatively close throughout that caused some nervousness, not that we were in danger, but that we were having as much difficulty as we did. Too many people were expecting a major blowout. No question that the upper echelon of the mid-majors can knock off a PL if the PL team is not focused--AGS!

ngineer
August 4th, 2005, 12:19 PM
You do a mah-valous job highlighting the teams rosters and upcoming year. I agree with your placement of Bucknell at #5 and dropped my $.02 (whatever happened to the 'cent' symbol with keyboards?? :( ). Still awaiting my AGS magazine--saw it on my charge card, so I hope it's coming soon--will be interesting to compare notes.