PDA

View Full Version : ND Senate wants new UND-NDSU trophy

Laker
February 8th, 2019, 03:25 PM
This should raise some discussion.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/4568582-resolution-urging-und-ndsu-create-new-rivalry-trophy-

POD Knows
February 8th, 2019, 03:41 PM
https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/4568582-resolution-urging-und-ndsu-create-new-rivalry-trophy-passes

nodak651
February 8th, 2019, 03:55 PM
This is dumb as hell. The Ralph has Sioux logo's all over the place, and they are required by the NCAA to sell a small allotment of Sioux logo gear every year so that they maintain the trademark rights. There is no reason they can't play for the historic Nickel trophy.

POD Knows
February 8th, 2019, 04:08 PM
This is dumb as hell. The Ralph has Sioux logo's all over the place, and they are required by the NCAA to sell a small allotment of Sioux logo gear every year so that they maintain the trademark rights. There is no reason they can't play for the historic Nickel trophy.I agree with you but if that happened and they played for the Nickel, somebodies panties would get in a bunch, there would be protests, people howling at the moon, the drummer guy would show up. Sorry for the slight poli drift but this would absolutely happen.

nodak651
February 8th, 2019, 04:20 PM
I agree with you but if that happened and they played for the Nickel, somebodies panties would get in a bunch, there would be protests, people howling at the moon, the drummer guy would show up. Sorry for the slight poli drift but this would absolutely happen.

I don't really feel like arguing (I don't think the consequences would be that bad), but assuming the Nickel isn't used, they should melt it down and use the material for the new trophy. At least it would be the same substance, and the history of the trophy would kinda still be there.

POD Knows
February 8th, 2019, 04:26 PM
I don't really feel like arguing (I don't think the consequences would be that bad), but assuming the Nickel isn't used, they should melt it down and use the material for the new trophy. At least it would be the same substance, and the history of the trophy would kinda still be there.I am not arguing with you, I just know what would happen, I agree that if they do something, they should play for Nickel but they won't, because they can't.

BisonFan02
February 8th, 2019, 04:40 PM
We already play for a rivalry trophy with a school in SD. **** UND football.....let them fester until they discontinue the program....they can focus on their mini me US juniors hockey team instead.

semobison
February 8th, 2019, 05:31 PM
In my best Blazing Saddles Mexican Outlaw voice....Trophy, we don't need no stinking trophy!

JSUSoutherner
February 8th, 2019, 05:33 PM
I don't get it, why can't you just use the nickle?

POD Knows
February 8th, 2019, 06:20 PM
I don't get it, why can't you just use the nickle?Indian head on the one side.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30041&stc=1

Laker
February 8th, 2019, 06:21 PM

One side has a Bison on it, the other has an Indian head on it. Historically this would be accurate so any reasonable person shouldn't have a problem with it. I don't want to make this political, but the PC crowd objects. With the name change to Fighting Hawks- well, it isn't the same anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_nickel

JSUSoutherner
February 8th, 2019, 06:24 PM
That's dumb.

cx500d
February 8th, 2019, 06:42 PM
That's dumb.

Never argue with a dumb fhawker

Bison56
February 8th, 2019, 07:58 PM
We already play for a rivalry trophy with a school in SD. **** UND football.....let them fester until they discontinue the program....they can focus on their mini me US juniors hockey team instead.

2nd this

NDSU1980
February 8th, 2019, 08:23 PM
I also agree with this. As far as I'm concerned, SDSU is more of a rival anyway, at least they can compete with NDSU.

F'N Hawks
February 8th, 2019, 10:09 PM

Cause making a trophy will do wonders for their program. You smart.

344Johnson
February 8th, 2019, 10:33 PM

I dont care if they play for a trophy or not, but that's not a good reason to not play for one. It should be an organic thing that the two schools decide, not the legislature. With ya there broseph.

They can. The NCAA ain't gonna be telling anyone they can't use legal US tender.

BisonFan02
February 8th, 2019, 10:56 PM
Cause making a trophy will do wonders for their program. You smart.

Anything to even give UND a hint of relevance in football should be avoided. xlolx Consider even getting to hang around with the MVFC overlords as a gift.

centennial
February 9th, 2019, 05:00 AM
Wish NDSU can stay away from UND forever. Really had to help them get into the Summit.

I have never considered them a rival anyway.

dgtw
February 9th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Seeing as how ND is no longer the Sioux and the game hasn’t been played since current players were in diapers, perhaps a new trophy isn’t a bad idea.

That being said, I don’t see a problem using the old one. Was there any outcry about using it or did someone dream it up in order to be PC?

I also think the state legislature should butt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Bison
February 9th, 2019, 01:13 PM
We already play for a rivalry trophy with a school in SD. **** UND football.....let them fester until they discontinue the program....they can focus on their mini me US juniors hockey team instead.Perfectly stated. **** the Sioux/Whioux/F'nhawks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
February 9th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Maybe the new trophy should be of a hawk trying in vain to pick up and fly off with a bison. The hawk is straining with all it's might to take home a giant dinner...the bison isn't even aware that the hawk is there.

dewey
February 12th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Maybe the new trophy should be of a hawk trying in vain to pick up and fly off with a bison. The hawk is straining with all it's might to take home a giant dinner...the bison isn't even aware that the hawk is there.

I like it. Very close to real life.

Dewey

IBleedYellow
February 12th, 2019, 12:22 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/77c9bfe9d7ad7f14f2001edebcfbfb7c/tenor.gif?itemid=4992133

Winterborn
February 12th, 2019, 03:29 PM

This x10.

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Just more bs from the idiots to the north. The got the govt to try and force NDSU to play them now they want a trophy to play for. JFC

Elvis was a Bison
February 12th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Given the current state of the 2 programs, the perfect trophy would be a coin with the Whitehouse on the Bison side and an outhouse on the F'Hawkers side.

abc123
February 13th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Just more bs from the idiots to the north. The got the govt to try and force NDSU to play them now they want a trophy to play for. JFC

Yeah, a non-binding resolution sponsored by alums from both schools is somehow UND's fault. JFC indeed....

F'N Hawks
February 13th, 2019, 11:09 AM
This x10.

No....x100.

F'N Hawks
February 13th, 2019, 11:10 AM

Totally broski, we really want that trophy to come to fruition. Like bad, yo.

Southern Bison
February 13th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Totally broski, we really want that trophy to come to fruition. Like bad, yo.IF it ever comes to fruition, it won't reside in your sparsely-occupied trophy case. #HucktheFawks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 21st, 2019, 09:00 PM
No, IMO.

AmsterBison
February 22nd, 2019, 04:51 AM
One side has a Bison on it, the other has an Indian head on it. Historically this would be accurate so any reasonable person shouldn't have a problem with it. I don't want to make this political, but the PC crowd objects. With the name change to Fighting Hawks- well, it isn't the same anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_nickel

As far as I know, the PC crowd never complained about the Nickel Trophy. More importantly, the NCAA did not either (and they are the ones who really count in this.)

The only people who said the trophy must go were UND administrators. I believe they did this because they thought that by saying the Nickel Trophy was banned that they could gain additional support from non-UND people to keep their nickname. As a bonus, they could keep the trophy even after getting their asses kicked.

So, screw this noise. UND should join the NSIC and create a traveling trophy with the Golden Eagles of Crookston. It could be a small statue of a raptor that they paint green when UND wins and gold when Crookston wins.

F'N Hawks
February 22nd, 2019, 08:29 AM
As far as I know, the PC crowd never complained about the Nickel Trophy. More importantly, the NCAA did not either (and they are the ones who really count in this.)

The only people who said the trophy must go were UND administrators. I believe they did this because they thought that by saying the Nickel Trophy was banned that they could gain additional support from non-UND people to keep their nickname. As a bonus, they could keep the trophy even after getting their asses kicked.

So, screw this noise. UND should join the NSIC and create a traveling trophy with the Golden Eagles of Crookston. It could be a small statue of a raptor that they paint green when UND wins and gold when Crookston wins.

That certainly gives us all a lot to think about. xthumbsupx

Hammerhead
February 22nd, 2019, 01:18 PM
Our legislature has more important things to worry about. We should have a new trophy of a giant sugar beet.

Bisonoline
February 22nd, 2019, 01:41 PM

The NCAA has inferred that anything NA is inappropriate. Thats why other schools got rid of anything NA related that they would play for. I think Illinois and Northwestern used to play for a peace pipe and Ive heard of other schools that went that way also.

AmsterBison
February 22nd, 2019, 02:41 PM
The NCAA has inferred that anything NA is inappropriate. Thats why other schools got rid of anything NA related that they would play for. I think Illinois and Northwestern used to play for a peace pipe and Ive heard of other schools that went that way also.

This whole "we gotta retire the Nickel" deal was made up by UND administrators and is completely ridiculous. I think the main reason people keep going along with this farce is because they want to play the part of victims of "PC run amok."

Heck, what do folks think that the worst-case scenario is if NDSU and UND played for The Nickel Trophy? Do people think that the NCAA is going to prevent NDSU and UND from hosting FCS playoff games? Why not ask the NCAA about that?

I mean, the trophy never even involved the two universities directly - it was between the Blue Key Honor Societies at the two schools. Heck, you could remove the universities completely from the equation pretty easily. How can the NCAA dictate what two private groups with no official ties to either university do as a result of a college football game? Problem solved (except there is no real problem to begin with.)

BTW, Illinois played Northwestern for the "Sweet Sioux Tomahawk". IMO, Illinois and Northwestern got rid of their stupid trophy because they wanted to get rid of their stupid trophy because it was an embarrassment, and they used the big bad NCAA as cover with their alumni base.

I mean, NW State and Nicholls State still play for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Caddo - and that's not US currency (nor is a buffalo nickel an example of Native American imagery appropriated for athletics.)

I suggest the students submit this as their trophy idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Trophy (Give it a new base though.)

ALPHAGRIZ1
February 22nd, 2019, 02:51 PM
HiHowAreYa I have never been so offended............

Indian head on the one side.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30041&stc=1

Bisonoline
February 22nd, 2019, 02:53 PM
This whole "we gotta retire the Nickel" deal was made up by UND administrators and is completely ridiculous. I think the main reason people keep going along with this farce is because they want to play the part of victims of "PC run amok."

Heck, what do folks think that the worst-case scenario is if NDSU and UND played for The Nickel Trophy? Do people think that the NCAA is going to prevent NDSU and UND from hosting FCS playoff games? Why not ask the NCAA about that?

I mean, the trophy never even involved the two universities directly - it was between the Blue Key Honor Societies at the two schools. Heck, you could remove the universities completely from the equation pretty easily. How can the NCAA dictate what two private groups with no official ties to either university do as a result of a college football game? Problem solved (except there is no real problem to begin with.)

BTW, Illinois played Northwestern for the "Sweet Sioux Tomahawk". IMO, Illinois and Northwestern got rid of their stupid trophy because they wanted to get rid of their stupid trophy because it was an embarrassment, and they used the big bad NCAA as cover with their alumni base.

I mean, NW State and Nicholls State still play for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Caddo - and that's not US currency (nor is a buffalo nickel an example of Native American imagery appropriated for athletics.)

I suggest the students submit this as their trophy idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Trophy (Give it a new base though.)

I agree.

AmsterBison
February 22nd, 2019, 03:00 PM
HiHowAreYa I have never been so offended............

You would be the only one offended by a buffalo head nickel then. Sure, some claim that their are groups offended by buffalo head nickels, but people lie (or delude themselves) for all sorts of reasons.

Now that said, I say screw it. No new trophy. UND handled the Nickel Trophy deal in bad faith and therefore don't deserve to be dignified with a trophy.

POD Knows
February 22nd, 2019, 03:07 PM
You would be the only one offended by a buffalo head nickel then. Sure, some claim that their are groups offended by buffalo head nickels, but people lie (or delude themselves) for all sorts of reasons.Christ, if you drug that coin through Berkeley and said that two college football teams in North Dakota play for that, you would have to open safe spaces all over the place. Is it fake outrage, delusion or insanity, probably some of each.

AmsterBison
February 22nd, 2019, 03:15 PM
Christ, if you drug that coin through Berkeley and said that two college football teams in North Dakota play for that, you would have to open safe spaces all over the place. Is it fake outrage, delusion or insanity, probably some of each.

Really? Find me a source for that.

The only fake outrage, delusion, and/or insanity is you getting yourself all worked up by something that you theorize might exist. And, btw, since when do North Dakotans give a crap about what hypothetical persons in Berkeley think? Or are you suggesting that NDSU stop doing anything that you think these theoretical Berkeley bullies might object to?

POD Knows
February 22nd, 2019, 03:29 PM
Really? Find me a source for that.

The only fake outrage, delusion, and/or insanity is you getting yourself all worked up by something that you theorize might exist. And, btw, since when do North Dakotans give a crap about what hypothetical persons in Berkeley think? Or are you suggesting that NDSU stop doing anything that you think these theoretical Berkeley bullies might object to?Nope, you said that AG would be the only one offended (BTW, I doubt he is offended) and I don't care what some college idiots would say about the Nickel but you are in denial if you don't think that these PC assholes wouldn't have a cow over that coin. I don't think you understand how ****ed up these people are.

AmsterBison
February 25th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Nope, you said that AG would be the only one offended (BTW, I doubt he is offended) and I don't care what some college idiots would say about the Nickel but you are in denial if you don't think that these PC assholes wouldn't have a cow over that coin. I don't think you understand how ****ed up these people are.

You (and others) are creating a straw man argument. Yes, there is an Indian portrayed on one side of the Buffalo nickel, but nobody credible (and certainly no group of people) has ever complained about it - and likely never will. In the history of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname controversy, the trophy was never brought up as an issue with anybody, including the NCAA. It's a piece of currency - complaining about that would be like complaining about ND road signs or the Great Seal of North Dakota (which has both a bison and a Plains Indian on it.)

Sure, I could be wrong, but your only argument is that I am somewhat naive about how stupid everybody else is. However, I remember when the "french" in "french fries" became so intolerable to a large group of politically correct idiots that they tried to change the name to "freedom fries" and some people even poured good French wine into the gutters of NYC. From that alone, I have a pretty good idea of how stupid people get when they are ruled solely by their prejudices and emotions.

POD Knows
February 25th, 2019, 09:20 AM
You (and others) are creating a straw man argument. Yes, there is an Indian portrayed on one side of the Buffalo nickel, but nobody credible (and certainly no group of people) has ever complained about it - and likely never will. In the history of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname controversy, the trophy was never brought up as an issue with anybody, including the NCAA. It's a piece of currency - complaining about that would be like complaining about ND road signs or the Great Seal of North Dakota (which has both a bison and a Plains Indian on it.)

Sure, I could be wrong, but your only argument is that I am somewhat naive about how stupid everybody else is. However, I remember when the "french" in "french fries" became so intolerable to a large group of politically correct idiots that they tried to change the name to "freedom fries" and some people even poured good French wine into the gutters of NYC. From that alone, I have a pretty good idea of how stupid people get when they are ruled solely by their prejudices and emotions.
I never said the people that would be opposed to the Nickel were credible and there are also people complaining about NA imagery on highway signage as well. The French deserved the protests at the time and maybe you ought to do some research as to why but I agree, throwing out decent wine is dumb. If NDSU/UND played for the Nickel and if, there were 6 protesters out there, the NCAA would stick their noses in there for PC purposes. I am pretty confident they would respond to the issue but who knows. I don't want to play for the freaking thing anyway.

WeAreThePride
February 25th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Actually they're replacing the Indian highway signs. The new ones have an outline of the state on them. I'm sure someone complained. Probably a Minnesotan.

POD Knows
February 25th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Actually they're replacing the Indian highway signs. The new ones have an outline of the state on them. I'm sure someone complained. Probably a Minnesotan.Maybe the NCAA

AmsterBison
February 25th, 2019, 09:46 AM
Here's some background on the ND highway sign switch:

https://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/NDDOT-removing-Native-American-imagery-from-highway-signs-387855012.html

Laker
February 25th, 2019, 09:52 AM
Actually they're replacing the Indian highway signs. The new ones have an outline of the state on them. I'm sure someone complained. Probably a Minnesotan.

It probably was. This state has too many people who would take it upon themselves to be offended.

POD Knows
February 25th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Here's some background on the ND highway sign switch:

https://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/NDDOT-removing-Native-American-imagery-from-highway-signs-387855012.htmlThere people complaining about the signs and that was acknowledged in another article back around that time. I don't believe for second that politics weren't involved in this, hell, it could have been payback for the UND thing, who knows. Somebody may have thought, well, the Fighting Sioux logo has to go, here it is ****o's, bye bye road signage.

Bisonator
February 25th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Just forget about it, no trophy is needed. Hopefully we will leave those fawkers behind again sooner then later.

AmsterBison
February 26th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Just forget about it, no trophy is needed. Hopefully we will leave those fawkers behind again sooner then later.

Agreed - no trophy. There was a trophy, and first they debased it by refusing to play for it, then they retired it because they got scared by their own straw man argument.

I'd say that NDSU left UND behind 15 years ago.

BisonFan02
February 27th, 2019, 01:40 PM
The correct answers are in posts 7 and 18. /thread