PDA

View Full Version : JuCo players???

Milktruck74
January 27th, 2019, 07:43 PM
I know there is a bunch of different philosophies regarding JuCo guys...Some coaches are dead set against it, some are dead set against it but take transfers from 4yr schools all day, some fill a good portion of their class with them every year...regardless of where you (or your team) falls, Do you think that the Last Chance U series (3 seasons) has changed opinions on JuCo recruits for Fans? Coaches? Are opinions Better? Opinions Worse? No Change? What say you?

Cocky
January 27th, 2019, 08:18 PM
Havent watched the show so I have no idea

Milktruck74
January 27th, 2019, 08:35 PM
Havent watched the show so I have no idea

It is Eye Opening.....I'll leave it at that, as not to sway your opinion, should you choose to watch.

lionsrking2
January 27th, 2019, 08:55 PM
I know there is a bunch of different philosophies regarding JuCo guys...Some coaches are dead set against it, some are dead set against it but take transfers from 4yr schools all day, some fill a good portion of their class with them every year...regardless of where you (or your team) falls, Do you think that the Last Chance U series (3 seasons) has changed opinions on JuCo recruits for Fans? Coaches? Are opinions Better? Opinions Worse? No Change? What say you?

We've had a lot of success with JC players over the last six or seven years, and IMO, if you do you're homework and have good connections, it's a good way to infuse experienced, mature talent into your program and make up for high school mistakes that don't pan out. There's some downside if you don't do you homework and miss on too many evaluations but that's on your coaching staff to do a good job. I haven't seen much of the Last Chance U series but what I have seen doesn't affect my opinion of JC kids. Like anything, it's buyer beware and you have to know where to shop and who to bring into your program. Do your homework and your problems will be minimal.

walliver
January 28th, 2019, 08:48 AM
JuCo transfers are similar to FBS transfers in some ways. They are often players whose "big time" opportunities didn't pan out. A few JuCo's will do well, primarily those parked at a JuCo by SEC schools for academic reasons. Some of those athletes will be picked up by the SEC schools and others will end up at G5 or FCS schools.

JuCo transfers are not likely to make a big difference in the SoCon. On the other hand, the private and military schools don't really take JuCo transfers, so that really skews my perception.

Baseball, on the other hand, is a very different situation. JuCo transfers can make a big difference, especially since the number of scholarships is limited. Players with decent grades may take a scholarship at a JuCo over walking on at a 4 year school and transfer later. The College of Charleston has had great success with this model.

SU DOG
January 28th, 2019, 12:47 PM
JuCo transfers are similar to FBS transfers in some ways. They are often players whose "big time" opportunities didn't pan out. A few JuCo's will do well, primarily those parked at a JuCo by SEC schools for academic reasons. Some of those athletes will be picked up by the SEC schools and others will end up at G5 or FCS schools.

JuCo transfers are not likely to make a big difference in the SoCon. On the other hand, the private and military schools don't really take JuCo transfers, so that really skews my perception.

Baseball, on the other hand, is a very different situation. JuCo transfers can make a big difference, especially since the number of scholarships is limited. Players with decent grades may take a scholarship at a JuCo over walking on at a 4 year school and transfer later. The College of Charleston has had great success with this model.

Exactly right Walliver. Samford doesn't go after the Jucos in football, but certainly in baseball Samford gets them. In this state, there are lots of community colleges with good baseball teams, but no football. Mississippi has several, and Samford could sign some of those, but I suppose, chooses not to.

Daytripper
January 28th, 2019, 12:50 PM
Exactly right Walliver. Samford doesn't go after the Jucos in football, but certainly in baseball Samford gets them. In this state, there are lots of community colleges with good baseball teams, but no football. Mississippi has several, and Samford could sign some of those, but I suppose, chooses not to.

Texas has a lot of really good JUCO baseball programs as well. Sam gets a few every year. In football, we picked up a couple last year from California. They were generally useless.

Redbird 4th & short
January 28th, 2019, 02:30 PM
No issue at all as long as they are a good fit and are the exception more than the rule.

For Juco kids with academic issues, you better have a strongly enforced study tables program (i.e. mandatory attendance with supervised team studies) with full buy on from coaches, admin, and players .. make it clear up front. ISUr makes it mandatory 1st year, and then sets a GPA and attendance standards in order to for a player to get off the mandatory study tables - they also teach them a lot about time management.

Spack took over program in 2009, we were near bottom of MVFC in the NCAA APR Scoring .. since then, we moved up every year and had top score in MVFC 3 straight years from 2014-16 .. finished a close 2nd or 3rd in 2017, but still had our 2nd highest APR score ever.

So I have no issue with Juco transfers if done right. Kids have a right to play if they are good enough. In general, your program should depend on its HS recruits, but nothing wrong with plugging holes and filling depth chart with a few Juco or FBS guys. When Spack first got here, he would have 10-14 FBS and/or Juco guys on his roster at any one time. But in last 5 years, the number has drop to 5 or 6 on roster at any given time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 28th, 2019, 02:32 PM
Fordham just brought in a JuCo DT to help bolster a much a maligned DL. I have no issue so long as they're not an issue. I actually applaud an academic minded school like Fordham for extending an olive branch to this kid.

Model Citizen
January 28th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Can't paint all JC players with the same brush. Some with good-to-excellent academic credentials went the juco route purely to get more exposure. Former Drake QB Kraemer (Tufts to a SoCal JC to Drake) is one example. San Diego gets JC transfers every year. Previously undiscovered gems.

Daytripper
January 28th, 2019, 03:39 PM
A couple of JUCO guys:

Cam Newton
Aaron Rodgers
Warren Moon.... and others: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/23/17510874/juco-college-football-players-best

Like others have said... Just like any other recruit you have to do your homework.

Outsider1
January 28th, 2019, 07:28 PM
A couple of JUCO guys:

Cam Newton
Aaron Rodgers
Warren Moon.... and others: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/23/17510874/juco-college-football-players-best

Like others have said... Just like any other recruit you have to do your homework.

+1

We have had a few that worked out well and others that don't. The same can be said of our HS recruits and other transfers. Sometimes the JUCO guy wasn't bad, but he just ended up getting beat out by better players. You do your homework and keep training well. Put them in the competition mix and and see what happens.

Laker
January 28th, 2019, 08:20 PM
Can't paint all JC players with the same brush. Some with good-to-excellent academic credentials went the juco route purely to get more exposure. Former Drake QB Kraemer (Tufts to a SoCal JC to Drake) is one example. San Diego gets JC transfers every year. Previously undiscovered gems.

Spot on. Some schools go after outlaws. Not the way to build a program. But that doesn't mean that all JC players are like that- most of them aren't. I have no problem at all with getting juco players.

Milktruck74
January 28th, 2019, 09:37 PM
To the original question....has Last Chance U helped or hurt the stereotypical view of juco kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
January 28th, 2019, 09:50 PM
To the original question....has Last Chance U helped or hurt the stereotypical view of juco kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurt.

BEAR
January 29th, 2019, 08:39 AM
UCA has taken some JUCO players, even some that have been on that show Last Chance U. But coach Brown's first class this past year has been probably 98% high school grads which is WAAAAY different than either coach Campbell or coach Conque ever did. They loved filling in the JR/SR ranks with transfers. We've seen the immediate impact of good JUCO players on our season but also seen roster spots taken by players who do just that...take up roster spots. xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
January 29th, 2019, 09:09 AM
agreed and didn't mean to infer ... but Juco is a nice option for FBS non-qualifiers, so those players need to get their sh-t together and use those 2 years wisely. Like most kids ... the key is usually time management and priorities, moreso than brains.

POD Knows
January 29th, 2019, 12:54 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHurt, big time

Anthony215
January 29th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Hurt, big time

Unfortunately the documentary always seemed to focus way more on the problematic kids rather than the ones who took advantage of their 2nd opportunity. Look at a kid like Dakota Allen who was convicted of a serious crime, kicked out of Texas Tech but learned his lesson and was a valuable student/football player and mentor to his younger teammates in his one year at Eastern Mississippi which earned him another shot back at Texas Tech where he immediately was voted team captain and put up great numbers and may be a Day 2/Day 3 draft pick in May. Or DeAndre Johnson who is now at FAU who was a good kid as well as John Franklin III who parlayed that tv appearance into a Auburn offer even though he wasn't a FBS caliber QB and now he's on the Bears as a DB. Hell even Ronald Ollie has turned his life around and had a good come back year this past season down at Nicholls State. So while there are knuckleheads like Malik Henry, Isaiah Wright and Bobby Bruce who can't seem to get right there are lots of others who used the platform to succeed and further their playing careers....

POD Knows
January 29th, 2019, 02:46 PM
Unfortunately the documentary always seemed to focus way more on the problematic kids rather than the ones who took advantage of their 2nd opportunity. Look at a kid like Dakota Allen who was convicted of a serious crime, kicked out of Texas Tech but learned his lesson and was a valuable student/football player and mentor to his younger teammates in his one year at Eastern Mississippi which earned him another shot back at Texas Tech where he immediately was voted team captain and put up great numbers and may be a Day 2/Day 3 draft pick in May. Or DeAndre Johnson who is now at FAU who was a good kid as well as John Franklin III who parlayed that tv appearance into a Auburn offer even though he wasn't a FBS caliber QB and now he's on the Bears as a DB. Hell even Ronald Ollie has turned his life around and had a good come back year this past season down at Nicholls State. So while there are knuckleheads like Malik Henry, Isaiah Wright and Bobby Bruce who can't seem to get right there are lots of others who used the platform to succeed and further their playing careers....
Yea, it is sort of mix but I thought the mini-series put these places in a bad light, particularly on the education side.

Anthony215
January 29th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Yea, it is sort of mix but I thought the mini-series put these places in a bad light, particularly on the education side.

Can't argue with you there the academic side they need to shed more insight and better light onto because some of those kids never went to class, had no motivation in the classroom so it pretty much said they were given C's and B's to graduate and move onto a 4 year institution.