PDA

View Full Version : ETSU students say NO to football

ETSU-06
April 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
xsmhx Well looks like this was over before it got started. ETSU will not be resurecting the football program anytime soon. I'll post more on it later, I'm just really numb right now.
http://www.etsubucs.com/sports/football/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=9812

dbackjon
April 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM
That sucks. I guess they are happy in the A-Sun for all sports.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM
terrible... very sad to see... i am sorry to hear the news etsu 06

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Damn, they'll be at the top of the A-Sun for b-ball almost every year. I wonder if somehow the OVC could drop the no football rule and let them in.

JMUFortier
April 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
My apologies for the defeat...xsmhx

Cobblestone
April 11th, 2007, 07:12 PM
pansies.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
anyone giving any reasons why the students voted the way they did?

Tod
April 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
xsmhx Well looks like this was over before it got started. ETSU will not be resurecting the football program anytime soon. I'll post more on it later, I'm just really numb right now.
http://www.etsubucs.com/sports/football/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=9812

Sorry, man. :( :( :(

ETSU-06
April 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I believe cobblestone has it right. Pansy students. We have what has to be one of the most liberal and apathetic student bodies anywhere in America. I also think that if you take a cross section of the campus, you'd find a huge percentage of the students are the ones that never played sports, never went to games, or prom, or on dates, etc, etc. If this vote were for starting a dungeons and dragons team it would have probably passed easily. I hope you can see the picture I'm trying to paint, it's just a very poor example of a campus community. No pride, spirit, support, or direction from the athletic administration.

We had a lot of good people fighting hard for this, and I know they'll keep up the fight. I suppose there is a possibility we could restructure spending for other sports and try to make room, but this is probably the fate of ETSU football for the next 50+ years.

BTW, anyone know how good App's MBA program is? I'd kinda like to go somewhere people actually give a damn about sports.

Death Dealer
April 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM
That is really too bad. I was hoping to have them rejoin the SOCON. My sis and bro-in-law live up there in J City and it would have been another great road trip for football. Plus, I have a very good friend, also a Din, who teaches at ETSU. Oh well.:(

MplsBison
April 11th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Any chance that they could go around the students and just increase the fee anyway?

Perhaps appeal to the board of regents?

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Any chance that they could go around the students and just increase the fee anyway?

Perhaps appeal to the board of regents?
good questions or... just do without that money and get it from elsewhere???

downbythebeach
April 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Tennessee is being taken over by liberals...LOL

proasu89
April 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I believe cobblestone has it right. Pansy students. We have what has to be one of the most liberal and apathetic student bodies anywhere in America. I also think that if you take a cross section of the campus, you'd find a huge percentage of the students are the ones that never played sports, never went to games, or prom, or on dates, etc, etc. If this vote were for starting a dungeons and dragons team it would have probably passed easily. I hope you can see the picture I'm trying to paint, it's just a very poor example of a campus community. No pride, spirit, support, or direction from the athletic administration.

We had a lot of good people fighting hard for this, and I know they'll keep up the fight. I suppose there is a possibility we could restructure spending for other sports and try to make room, but this is probably the fate of ETSU football for the next 50+ years.

BTW, anyone know how good App's MBA program is? I'd kinda like to go somewhere people actually give a damn about sports.

I have no data to support but the reputation is good. My wife decided to get her MBA and graduated in 04. She went back after graduating w/ an accounting degree in 89. She deemed it to be a positive experience.

proasu89
April 11th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Tennessee is being taken over by liberals...LOL
From my experiences only, Johnson City does not seem like a college town. I don't know the ratio of commuter students to traditional, but I would wager it's high. The people who actually care about sports are probably color blind. They can only see orangexrolleyesx

catamount man
April 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Sucks for ETSU. I was really hoping you guys could get football back.xnonono2x

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

mistersykes
April 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM
With only 27% of the student population voting, you would think that only those with a strong opinion on the matter would be voting. What happened to that survey that showed so much interest?

claydus
April 11th, 2007, 09:26 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Such great students

Pageoner
April 11th, 2007, 09:27 PM
i know how you feel man!
i'm currently attending a D-3 school with no football
its horrible.

dbackjon
April 11th, 2007, 09:29 PM
From my experiences only, Johnson City does not seem like a college town. I don't know the ratio of commuter students to traditional, but I would wager it's high. The people who actually care about sports are probably color blind. They can only see orangexrolleyesx

You're right about that. If it had been a referundum to support UT football, it would have won!

Mr. C
April 11th, 2007, 09:33 PM
What I find interesting is that such a low number of students voted on this important subject. They are killing the chance of restarting football on the vote of ONLY 1,907 students. Anybody know what current enrollment is at ETSU?

Pretty lame move by the ones that voted this down.

Hammersmith
April 11th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Don't take this wrong way, but that was a lot of money they were asking for. $350 per student per year just for athletics, up from $150? I can see why it was voted down. Are these types of numbers commonplace or were they asking for a totally unreasonable amount? NDSU students pay about $75 per year to the athletic department as part of an activity fee with about the same number of students, so that's why the ETSU figure seems really high to me.

aswedc
April 12th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Let's get some perspective here. Football isn't important for a lot of people, such as those who chose a commuter school in the first place.

What if they were asking for an extra $200 a year to sponsor the soccer team? Not so enthusiastic anymore are we?

And let's face it, outside of FCS students and alumni, few care about this level of play. It's not like a program would provide the kind of free publicity and recognition a FBS program would.

Perhaps those who want football so badly should step up and sponsor it themselves? That way those who have no intention of watching it wouldn't have to pay. Sounds fair to me.

Fresno St. Alum
April 12th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I'm one of the few outsiders that care.

MarkCCU
April 12th, 2007, 12:49 AM
What a bunch of sissies!

Maybe they should lay off the crab soccer, grow some chest hair(recruit dudes) and be men.

Hell, SAMFORD, Mansfield and Edgar Waters have teams!

Does this improve CCU's chances of getting into the SOCON?

Fresno St. Alum
April 12th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Mansfield dropped football after the 2006 seasonxsmhx

Edward Waters still has a team

MarkCCU
April 12th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Mansfield dropped football after the 2006 seasonxsmhx

Edward Waters still has a team

Coastal beat them horribly and Ed. Waters is a fricking joke like Chowan.

April 12th, 2007, 01:12 AM
... outside of FCS students and alumni, few care about this level of play...Which one are you? Student, alum or don't care? How many students and alumni do you think there are?

BTW, I'm not an FCS student or alum and I care. And I'm not the only one.

Mr. C
April 12th, 2007, 01:12 AM
No, it probably hurts them, because the SoCon would have probably added a couple of schools when ETSU came back into the league to keep balance for sports like basketball. With an almost perfect nine schools for football and 12 for basketball, I don't see any more changes for a long while, unless another school decides to move somewhere else.

Mr. C
April 12th, 2007, 01:15 AM
It was a DUMB move by Stanton to kill the program and he is probably just as glad to see things end like this. Now he can shift blame to someone else for the reason ETSU doesn't have football. IMO that with an outdoor stadium, the Bucs would have been fine. The facility was the MAJOR reason that ETSU struggled to draw fans.

Fresno St. Alum
April 12th, 2007, 01:17 AM
catfish, I knew edward waters had a team I guess it just sounded like I was asking. my bad. Chowan does suck but they are just moving up from D-III give them time, however the SAC won't take them.

Mr. C
April 12th, 2007, 01:33 AM
catfish, I knew edward waters had a team I guess it just sounded like I was asking. my bad. Chowan does suck but they are just moving up from D-III give them time, however the SAC won't take them.
The SAC just added North Greenville (which is a bit of a stretch for that program) to replace Presbyterian. I doubt they will add anyone else, unless someone else decides to move to Division I. Chowan would really be unable to compete with other South Atlantic teams in almost anything. There is a HUGE difference between D-IIIs in this area and the D-IIs. We have a couple of excellent D-II conferences around here.

Fresno St. Alum
April 12th, 2007, 01:43 AM
They added Brevard, N.Greenville was turned down for a 3rd time unless NGU was added today. Were they?

Mr. C
April 12th, 2007, 01:51 AM
They were acting around the SAC as if North Greenville was coming in last season. I actually officiated some North Greenville volleyball matches last year with SAC schools and the talk was that they were in. If something changed, I didn't hear about it.

Fresno St. Alum
April 12th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Nope, just Brevard
South Atlantic Conference Awards Provisional Membership To Brevard College
ROCK HILL, SC ? The South Atlantic Conference Council of Presidents has awarded Brevard College, located in Brevard, N.C., provisional membership for the 2007-08 season, the league announced Tuesday.

?The presidents were very complimentary of Brevard and the staff there, including the leadership of Dr. Drew Van Horn,? said South Atlantic Conference Commissioner Doug Echols. ?We are looking forward to working with Brevard as they continue to transition to NCAA Division II status and full membership in the South Atlantic Conference.?

As a provisional member, Brevard will compete in all South Atlantic Conference regular schedules in all sports, but will not be eligible for conference championships or awards, nor will its contests count in the conference standings for the 2007-08 academic year.

The conference office will support Brevard by the administration of the National Letter of Intent program, Coaches Certification program and general conference office support. Brevard will also utilize South Atlantic Conference game officials.

Brevard can apply for full conference membership for the 2008-09 academic year, provided they are granted full Division II membership status from the NCAA.

?Brevard College is honored to be granted provisional membership in the South Atlantic Conference,? said Dr. Drew Van Horn, president of Brevard College. ?The South Atlantic Conference reflects the academic and athletic excellence that Brevard College has cherished as an institution. Brevard College is committed to our transition to NCAA Division II, and appreciates the vision of the South Atlantic Conference in assisting us in this endeavor.?

Brevard was founded in 1853 and is the oldest college or university in the mountains of North Carolina. It is a four-year private, liberal arts college affiliated with the Western North Carolina Conference of The United Methodist Church.

The school offers 18 majors and four pre-professional studies. Brevard had 658 full-time students enrolled for fall of 2006 with a goal to reach a full-time enrollment of 850 by 2009.

The South Atlantic Conference is one of the premier NCAA Division II conferences in the country and strives for academic success and athletic achievement. Since becoming eligible for NCAA Division II postseason play in 1993, the league has sent representatives from all of its sponsored sports to NCAA postseason play.

The South Atlantic Conference currently has nine member institutions: Carson-Newman College, Jefferson City, Tenn.; Catawba College, Salisbury, N.C.; Lenoir-Rhyne College, Hickory, N.C.; Lincoln Memorial University, Harrogate, TN; Mars Hill College, Mars Hill, N.C.; Newberry College, Newberry, S.C.; Presbyterian College, Clinton, S.C.; Tusculum College, Greeneville, Tenn.; and Wingate University, Wingate, N.C

Fresno St. Alum
April 12th, 2007, 02:09 AM
PC is going to the big South so they'll need to take them off their member list. On the D-II boards there was talk could have been started by me that hey, if no one in D-II wants us move to D-I like FGCU did.

AppMan
April 12th, 2007, 07:05 AM
What I find interesting is that such a low number of students voted on this important subject. They are killing the chance of restarting football on the vote of ONLY 1,907 students. Anybody know what current enrollment is at ETSU?

That is the first thing that struck me as well. The 2006-07 basketball media guide lists enrollment in excess of 12,000. Only 27% of the students bothering to take the time to vote tells me a lot.

AppMan
April 12th, 2007, 07:07 AM
What a bunch of sissies!

Maybe they should lay off the crab soccer, grow some chest hair(recruit dudes) and be men.

Hell, SAMFORD, Mansfield and Edgar Waters have teams!

Can't answer your question, but where did you get that video? It is hilarious!!

DetroitFlyer
April 12th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Sounds to me like the ETSU football supporters should attend Patty V's meeting in Chicago! And before you decide to hammer anyone's 2007 schedule, keep in mind that schools like Butler, Iona, Marist, St. Peters, Valparaiso, etc. have a MUCH better schedule for 2007 than ETSU!!!!!

PaladinFan
April 12th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Three things...

1. I think it is important to remember that these students would have increased fees for something they themselves would not personally enjoy while in college. ETSU is still years away from building a stadium and refunding a football team. I can see where some students say, "wait, 300 extra bucks a year for something I'm not actually going to be here to see?" Yes, they can return and watch homecoming games and the like....but you don't get the same enthusiasm for a team (especially in FCS) if you didn't watch them play as a student, I feel.

2. The percentage of voter turnout shouldn't be a point of contention. College kids are college kids, they have other crap to do. I've seen some national elections where we were luck to have 30% at the polls.

3. East Tennessee is liberal. Strange quirk of political geography. The man who ran the reconstruction of the South was from E. Tenn. During the Civil War they were close to seceeding from the State back to the Union. Historically they vote differently than the rest of the state. I don't know why, but it's been that way for 200 years.

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 07:51 AM
That is the first thing that struck me as well. The 2006-07 basketball media guide lists enrollment in excess of 12,000. Only 27% of the students bothering to take the time to vote tells me a lot.
I find that interesting as well... I wonder if it wasnt advertised well or exactly how important it was to actually vote

eaglesrthe1
April 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Since the team wouldn't take the field until the 2010 season, most of the current students would be gone by then. It may be part of the reason for the low turnout, and negative vote. The students may have been apathetic and not have wanted to pay for something that wouldn't be there until after they have gone.

GannonFan
April 12th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Three things...

1. I think it is important to remember that these students would have increased fees for something they themselves would not personally enjoy while in college. ETSU is still years away from building a stadium and refunding a football team. I can see where some students say, "wait, 300 extra bucks a year for something I'm not actually going to be here to see?" Yes, they can return and watch homecoming games and the like....but you don't get the same enthusiasm for a team (especially in FCS) if you didn't watch them play as a student, I feel.

2. The percentage of voter turnout shouldn't be a point of contention. College kids are college kids, they have other crap to do. I've seen some national elections where we were luck to have 30% at the polls.

3. East Tennessee is liberal. Strange quirk of political geography. The man who ran the reconstruction of the South was from E. Tenn. During the Civil War they were close to seceeding from the State back to the Union. Historically they vote differently than the rest of the state. I don't know why, but it's been that way for 200 years.

I think the first point you have is a huge point - why would students, on a tight budget as it is anyway, all of a sudden want to pay $300 more a year right now for a football team that wouldn't start playing until 2010 at the earliest? That's just goofy - I'm a rabid football fan and if I was in a similar situation I'd probably say the same as well.

But then again, why would I even hold a vote - if the administration was serious about it they should just institute the new fee next year and those who don't want to pay for it can simply not attend. It's not like tuition and fees don't already climb 5%-8% every year anyway, just do another increase like that and make that increase the activity fee increase. Going about it this way just makes it look like the administration isn't fully behind bringing in football.

mistersykes
April 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Three things...

Good points. Northwestern NC (Watauga and Ashe counties) were in a similar path. If I recall correctly, most landowners didn't own slaves back when that was the popular thing to do. Also, there were many people associated with the underground railroad in the area. Whoda thunk it?:p

citdog
April 12th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Good points. Northwestern NC (Watauga and Ashe counties) were in a similar path. If I recall correctly, most landowners didn't own slaves back when that was the popular thing to do. Also, there were many people associated with the underground railroad in the area. Whoda thunk it?:p

We call them lost servants here, not runaway slaves

mcveyrl
April 12th, 2007, 10:11 AM

I have to disagree on this one. While our history does indicate several "Unionists" most of our politicians now are Conks.

David Davis just won our house seat and he's VERY Conk.

Also, most of our reps in the state house are Conk, too.

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I think the first point you have is a huge point - why would students, on a tight budget as it is anyway, all of a sudden want to pay $300 more a year right now for a football team that wouldn't start playing until 2010 at the earliest? That's just goofy - I'm a rabid football fan and if I was in a similar situation I'd probably say the same as well.

But then again, why would I even hold a vote - if the administration was serious about it they should just institute the new fee next year and those who don't want to pay for it can simply not attend. It's not like tuition and fees don't already climb 5%-8% every year anyway, just do another increase like that and make that increase the activity fee increase. Going about it this way just makes it look like the administration isn't fully behind bringing in football.
how did they fund their football program before??? why cant they just go back to that... and if it was a student fee than just like gannon fan just implement the damn thing and everything would be taken care of

El_Cid_99
April 12th, 2007, 11:42 AM
An all-around weak showing by the ETSU students. Were they all sleeping in on the day of the vote? Suck it up, pay the fee, and come back at your 5-year reunion and tailgate like rockstars.

I fault the administration for not being creative enough to figure out another way to finance this thing. Do they have Powerball in Tennessee? That might be plan B. Start buying those tickets, Buc fans.

ETSU-06
April 12th, 2007, 11:47 AM
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Detail.php?Cat=LOCALNEWS&ID=59153

This says it all. Our joke of a president is giving up the fight. Refunds will be going back to donors soon. I think this is exactly the scenario that he wanted from the begining. He comes out to say he would spearhead the effort to restore football, hides behind a student vote with little turnout, and then says "oh well, we tried." ETSU's best hope is to get new administration that understands what a well rounded university should have, but this could take years.

27% turnout was really suprising for me though. This issue was publicized greatly all over the campus, so I expected at least 40-50% turnout.

This is just the icing to terrible athletic program and a pretty bad commuter school. FCS is probably much better off without ETSU.
Thanks for all the support and good luck to everyone this year!

mcveyrl
April 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM
This is just the icing to terrible athletic program and a pretty bad commuter school. FCS is probably much better off without ETSU.

Wow, that's pretty strong. I don't know that it's any kind of reflection on the quality of the school. Is MIT that much less of a school because it doesn't have football?

However, I am shocked and disappointed by the vote. Both the turnout and the results. But, a vote's a vote and you can't really blame Stanton for the results (although I think you're right about his wanting this result). As others have stated, if ETSU and its alums want football that bad, raise the dough yourselves. I give the school credit for giving students the choice. The students just made a bad choice, IMO.

MYTAPPY
April 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Detail.php?Cat=LOCALNEWS&ID=59153

Now don't go do anything drastic ETSU -06.

Mr. C
April 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Wow, that's pretty strong. I don't know that it's any kind of reflection on the quality of the school. Is MIT that much less of a school because it doesn't have football?

However, I am shocked and disappointed by the vote. Both the turnout and the results. But, a vote's a vote and you can't really blame Stanton for the results (although I think you're right about his wanting this result). As others have stated, if ETSU and its alums want football that bad, raise the dough yourselves. I give the school credit for giving students the choice. The students just made a bad choice, IMO.
Yes, you can blame Stanton, because he is the one who set all of this in motion from the beginning by the way in which he first undercut and then cancelled the program.

mcveyrl
April 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Yes, you can blame Stanton, because he is the one who set all of this in motion from the beginning by the way in which he first undercut and then cancelled the program.

Oh, that I agree with. As you've said, it was his stupid fault for cancelling it all to begin with.

I was more talking about the voting results. I guess you could say that his initial actions hurt the vote, but why was the initial pole so high?

downbythebeach
April 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Is MIT that much less of a school because it doesn't have football?

Not a big NEFC fan I see

Go Engineers!

mcveyrl
April 12th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Not a big NEFC fan I see

Go Engineers!

Mea Culpa!

BisBison
April 12th, 2007, 12:53 PM

I know it may be a bit cold for ya, but NDSU is putting up a new $13MM business building, (all with private funds); groundbreaking this spring s/b ready for fall '08 students. Good program, lots of opportunity in town for grads.

ETSU-06
April 12th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I think it says alot about the quality of the administration and students we have. I think chosing 1,900 anti-football students over the potential to have up to 15,000 fans and alumni on campus 5-6 times a year says that Stanton doesn't know how a university works. ETSU is a essentially a community college that offers four-year degrees.

We have some solid academic departments and some good professors, but MIT we are not. If you're a Johns Hopkins (minus lax) or an NYU, athletics are not really all that important for getting your name out, but for a mid-major university this can be the golden ticket. I've heard that there is a waiting list for incoming freshmen at ASU. That's incredible, and I doubt anyone will attribute that wait to anything other than football. App has good facilities and respected academics, but playing college football on ESPN is the best recruitment tool they have.

I'll be honest, it's hard to stomach seeing all the athletic advancement that our former peer institutions are making while we regress more every year. But while App is playing in Ann Arbor and GSU is talking about moving up, we're stuck trying to act like we care about playing USC-Upstate, Florida-Gulf Coast, and Stetson. You guys are lucky!

ETSU-06
April 12th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I know it may be a bit cold for ya, but NDSU is putting up a new $13MM business building, (all with private funds); groundbreaking this spring s/b ready for fall '08 students. Good program, lots of opportunity in town for grads.

I've actually checked you guys out, and I'd be on the first flight out of town if I weren't for leaving my fiance behind. Didn't Fargo just make Forbes top 10 small metropolitan areas?

How is watching a game in the Fargo dome? The pictures look pretty incredible as far as domed stadium go.

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I think it says alot about the quality of the administration and students we have. I think chosing 1,900 anti-football students over the potential to have up to 15,000 fans and alumni on campus 5-6 times a year says that Stanton doesn't know how a university works. ETSU is a essentially a community college that offers four-year degrees.

We have some solid academic departments and some good professors, but MIT we are not. If you're a Johns Hopkins (minus lax) or an NYU, athletics are not really all that important for getting your name out, but for a mid-major university this can be the golden ticket. I've heard that there is a waiting list for incoming freshmen at ASU. That's incredible, and I doubt anyone will attribute that wait to anything other than football. App has good facilities and respected academics, but playing college football on ESPN is the best recruitment tool they have.

I'll be honest, it's hard to stomach seeing all the athletic advancement that our former peer institutions are making while we regress more every year. But while App is playing in Ann Arbor and GSU is talking about moving up, we're stuck trying to act like we care about playing USC-Upstate, Florida-Gulf Coast, and Stetson. You guys are lucky!
It really is sad that you guys are left playing that crap... I hope your fortunes change in the future... it was always nice playing you guys!

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I've actually checked you guys out, and I'd be on the first flight out of town if I weren't for leaving my fiance behind. Didn't Fargo just make Forbes top 10 small metropolitan areas?

How is watching a game in the Fargo dome? The pictures look pretty incredible as far as domed stadium go.
I know all about being stuck because you can leave that special someone behindxnodx xbawlingx xnodx

lizrdgizrd
April 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM

It's damn good! xthumbsupx

kicker
April 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM
We call them lost servants here, not runaway slaves

NOT FUNNY AT ALL.xmadx

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM
It's damn good! xthumbsupx
Thats right our entire business program is very well respected

BisBison
April 12th, 2007, 05:36 PM

The sight lines are great and you are right on top of the field. The university admin is VERY supportive of the athletic dept. One more year of probation the the playoffs. (hopefully)

GeauxColonels
April 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Wow, that's a serious blow to the university!

I have to admit, I didn't see that coming!

mistersykes
April 12th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Actually, our academics are getting pretty well-recognized, so its a combination of many different factors (not just sports success). We have an administration that seems set on making App one of the big-name state schools (although I don't know where they will put all of the new students and buildings that go along with that!). Also, we have some pretty rare majors such as Sustainable Development (my major) and well-known education and business programs, among other things.

That said, is it really a good idea to ditch your school and all of that just because of the lack of sport success (although it sounds like you have other qualms with ETSU as well)? I know that sports weren't the reason that I came to App! Just don't jump to another university without thinking it through completely. Good luck!

GeauxLions94
April 12th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Sorry to hear about no football coming back to Johnson City .... but keep up the fight and make sure a solid core of students along with former FB players are heavily involved. We (Southeastern Louisiana) dropped FB in 1985 and fought for years to bring it back before finally succeeding in 2002 for the 2003 season.

As for the current ETSU student body, how many show up to classes, events in Vol Orange?

Golden Eagle
April 12th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Well that stinks. Was looking forward to this. But I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't want to pay for a team they won't see play.

LOL! I'd ask whoever told me that for a refund of my time. ;)

james_lawfirm
April 13th, 2007, 07:38 AM

ETSU-06:

ASU's MBA program is pretty darn good. I have an MBA from there ('85). In 1986 or 1987, the College of Business moved into a new building, so I was in the old building. But, I did well. In that time, they required an "oral exam", which was a group of faculty firing questions at you for a couple or three hours. This occurred in a student's last semester there. However, I heard through the grapevine that this is not required anymore. But, in hindsight, I got alot out of the program and would recommend it.

I don't know what your motivation for getting an MBA is, but mine was so I could work in the family business. There was one phrase I heard over and over that summarizes the value of getting your MBA: "Often wrong, but never in doubt." I did not necessarily use all of the statistics formulas I learned (what blasphemy!), but the overall view of how to run a business was helpful, as was the economics and accounting stuff.

Plus, the football team really is fun to watch. And, Boone is a great place to be. Best wishes. Ironically, while I went to school there (undergrad too), I bet I went to only 1 or 2 football games. All I can say is if you want your MBA, you better be ready to study alot.

PaladinFan
April 13th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Well that stinks. Was looking forward to this. But I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't want to pay for a team they won't see play.

LOL! I'd ask whoever told me that for a refund of my time. ;)

E. Tennessee exists as one of the few locales that had a tradition of voting Republican that predated the 1960's (when there was a gradual flip flop of voting habits in the North and South).

Today it isn't as prevelant as most of the Southeast goes the same way. However, there is historical precedent to suggest that that particular part of the state (and to a greater extent the southeast) does not necessairly follow the status quo.

I'm not going to debate this, however, on a football forum. Go read about it yourself.

ETSU-06
April 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM
ETSU-06:

ASU's MBA program is pretty darn good. I have an MBA from there ('85). In 1986 or 1987, the College of Business moved into a new building, so I was in the old building. But, I did well. In that time, they required an "oral exam", which was a group of faculty firing questions at you for a couple or three hours. This occurred in a student's last semester there. However, I heard through the grapevine that this is not required anymore. But, in hindsight, I got alot out of the program and would recommend it.

I don't know what your motivation for getting an MBA is, but mine was so I could work in the family business. There was one phrase I heard over and over that summarizes the value of getting your MBA: "Often wrong, but never in doubt." I did not necessarily use all of the statistics formulas I learned (what blasphemy!), but the overall view of how to run a business was helpful, as was the economics and accounting stuff.

Plus, the football team really is fun to watch. And, Boone is a great place to be. Best wishes. Ironically, while I went to school there (undergrad too), I bet I went to only 1 or 2 football games. All I can say is if you want your MBA, you better be ready to study alot.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like a really good program, and I will definetly be checking into it. I know getting an MBA really requires you to prioritize and commit, but its worth it. I'm looking at Fall 2008 to start. (I'm in health care management btw)

We're planning on making the short trip from JC to watch a game over there this fall. I'm hoping that finding tickets won't be a problem though. Watching some of those playoff games the last couple of years has really piqued my interest.

mcveyrl
April 13th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the information. It sounds like a really good program, and I will definetly be checking into it. I know getting an MBA really requires you to prioritize and commit, but its worth it. I'm looking at Fall 2008 to start. (I'm in health care management btw)

We're planning on making the short trip from JC to watch a game over there this fall. I'm hoping that finding tickets won't be a problem though. Watching some of those playoff games the last couple of years has really piqued my interest.

It's a beautiful trip from JC to ASU. You should definitely try to make it for at least one game. I was really looking forward to renewing the ETSU-ASU match-up xbawlingx xbawlingx (and I'm a JMU grad!)

appfan2008
April 13th, 2007, 09:03 AM
yeah th etsu asu matchup is such a natural rivalry and its a bummer we will not be able to renew it :(

g-webb1994
April 14th, 2007, 10:45 AM
That stinks. Am I wrong, but I was under the impression that ETSU was discussing both a new hoops facility and new football stadium and ditching their mini-dome?

As for the Atlantic Sun, I am glad G-Webb is going full-time Big South after next year. Natural rivalries with Winthrop and UNC-A make more sense for all sports. I feel for ETSU...even Belmont and Lipscomb in-state aren't exactly 'rivals'. One thing I hope G-W keeps is the good budding rivalry with Campbell.

Not to rub salt into ETSU's wounds...but Campbell will have football soon! In Buies Creek? And Johnson City sits silent on Saturday afternoons? That's not fair at all folks.:(

PSUVikings
April 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM
that is stupid

PaladinFan
April 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM
That stinks. Am I wrong, but I was under the impression that ETSU was discussing both a new hoops facility and new football stadium and ditching their mini-dome?

As for the Atlantic Sun, I am glad G-Webb is going full-time Big South after next year. Natural rivalries with Winthrop and UNC-A make more sense for all sports. I feel for ETSU...even Belmont and Lipscomb in-state aren't exactly 'rivals'. One thing I hope G-W keeps is the good budding rivalry with Campbell.

Not to rub salt into ETSU's wounds...but Campbell will have football soon! In Buies Creek? And Johnson City sits silent on Saturday afternoons? That's not fair at all folks.:(

I don't think I'm ready for Camel Football

appfan2008
April 14th, 2007, 01:39 PM

that is sad johnson city is a real city and buies creek aint nothing

lizrdgizrd
April 16th, 2007, 08:24 AM
that is sad johnson city is a real city and buies creek aint nothing
Buies Creek'll have football. That's definitely something. xthumbsupx

appfan2008
April 16th, 2007, 09:26 AM
we will see if they can actually get a crowd out there though... when no one lives there!

WUTNDITWAA
April 16th, 2007, 09:36 AM
we will see if they can actually get a crowd out there though... when no one lives there!

Anything has to be better than watching a blinking light.

downbythebeach
April 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Loretto, Pennsylvania?xsmhx

walliver
April 17th, 2007, 11:48 PM
If only 27% of students bothered to vote, how many would actually show up at a football game?

Mr. C
April 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Not many showed up when the Bucs had a team. But then who wanted to come and sit in that monstrosity known as the Mini Dome? ETSU needs to build a football tradition with its students. The whole idea to vote on the issue was just President Stanton's subversive way of killing football again before it got started. That seems to be a widely held opinion of people I've talked to on the other side of the mountain.

AppMan
April 18th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Someone please tell me how a group of students, the majority of which won't even be around when the program actually takes the field, is the ultimate authority to decide this matter. This should be an institutional decision, period. Exempt the existing students from the athletic fee and begin charging the next group of freshmen if you have to. But make a decision! The incoming students (or more appropriately the parents of these students) will have a complete knowledge the fee is there and if they decide not to go to ETSU because of it, then so be it. Don't get the wrong idea here. I'm not advocating they should bring back the program. IMO, the administration took the cheap way out of this and is showing a total lack of leadership on the issue.

CopperCat
April 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Not many showed up when the Bucs had a team. But then who wanted to come and sit in that monstrosity known as the Mini Dome? ETSU needs to build a football tradition with its students. The whole idea to vote on the issue was just President Stanton's subversive way of killing football again before it got started. That seems to be a widely held opinion of people I've talked to on the other side of the mountain.

That really stinks that alterior motives killed the sport. I can't imagine what it would be like to not have a football team, but to have golf and tennis. BORING is what it would be X 800 billion. Building a tradition among students is hard though. If the student body symphathizes with a looser campus environment, it can be hard to get them to do anything. But for ETSU alums and fans, I hope it can happen again someday. Bummer:(

Death Dealer
April 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM

It's true that they were pro-Union in lots of E. Tenn. In fact, they were on the verge of leaving Tennessee and forming a new state called Franklin. Thus State of Franklin Rd. in J.C. But ETSU is not liberal. I have a friend who teaches there, and he's always complaining about the conservative mindset of the students and the administration.

blukeys
April 18th, 2007, 05:32 PM
It's true that they were pro-Union in lots of E. Tenn. In fact, they were on the verge of leaving Tennessee and forming a new state called Franklin. Thus State of Franklin Rd. in J.C.

Eastern Tennessee, Eastern Kentucky, and West Virginia were all very Pro Union during the Civil War. None of those areas had any significant slave holding to speak of. There were many Union campaigns championed by A.Lincoln to "free" Eastern Tennessee.

There were also instate differences between the big landowners in Western Tennessee and the poor mountaineers in the East. Like most states Tennessee has a split personality.