PDA

View Full Version : Ga State is closer to having football

PCbluehose
April 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM
This was in the AJC:

Georgia State is turning to Pro Football Hall of Famer and former Falcons coach Dan Reeves as the university decides if, when and how to launch a football program, two people familiar with the process told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday.

Reeves wouldn't comment on his new role when contacted by the AJC, saying he understood there would be a news conference Thursday morning and "you'll have to wait till then."

It's expected that Reeves will come in initially as a consultant and the chief fundraiser. Bringing Reeves aboard doesn't mean the Panthers are committed to starting a football team. It does mean that they very much want to test the interest level of the community and Atlanta-based businesses.

If Georgia State launches a program, Reeves eventually would at least have some say-so in the hiring of a coach, if not something more.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I hope Georgia St. joins the CAA football ranks.

ChooChoo
April 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Here are the 2 recent articles' links.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/04/11/0411reeves.html
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/04/10/0411gastate.html
Looks like it's gonna be Dome sweet Dome after all. From what I hear (and as I've said in the past) it's a lock. It might initially look like the emptiest facility in FCS, but it'll be the nicest. xnodx

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 05:52 PM
There is a thead about this on the D-II board in the GSC conference section. I thought that was weird.

danefan
April 11th, 2007, 06:15 PM
hmmm....how long can the CAA last??????????????

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 06:16 PM
hmmm....how long can the CAA last??????????????
you mean before a split?

danefan
April 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM
you mean before a split?

yeah.xcoffeex

PSUVikings
April 11th, 2007, 06:27 PM
The more the merrier

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Ga St. would put them at 14 (7-7)north-south would be big but can work. I hope CAA gets rid of the affiliates and the start the A-10 or AEC fb conference. I would leave room for more growth like the NEC teams that want to add schollys and the D-II schools in the NE that want to move up.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:29 PM
If GA. State starts up...look for a N/S split of the CAA...plus maybe the JMU move up that we keep hearing about.

Interesting indeed...

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Ga St. would put them at 14 (7-7)north-south would be big but can work. I hope CAA gets rid of the affiliates and the start the A-10 or AEC fb conference. I would leave room for more growth like the NEC teams that want to add schollys and the D-II schools in the NE that want to move up.

There are no more DII schools that would fit the AE profile. IF the split occurs, it will leave the AE with mostly LARGE public state schools. The Bryant's and Bentley's of the world do not fit in this profile, though they have solid academics.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I hope Georgia St. joins the CAA football ranks.
They would be a great addition and it would be great for both the caa and fcs to be right in the middle of the atlanta market

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I am still not sold that Ga. State football is viable in the Atlanta market under CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES.

Few reasons:

1. UGA- About 1.5 hours away (correct me if I am wrong).
2. Ga. Tech...backyard
3. Ga. Southern...alumni fill up Atlanta
4. Commuter school (this rarely works for football...see FIU among others).
5. The locals and media rarely give a rats tail about Ga. State Sports right now!
6. Transients- Atlanta has a HUGE transient population that isn't from the area and could care less about Ga. State.

Basically, Ga. State is fighting over entertainment dollars with many local entities that have deep ties. Yes, Ga. State has a huge student population...but how many care about football.

Hey, great for Ga. State if it happens...but I am not sold it will be viable.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I want to note...they would most likely field some great teams with all that talent in the N. Florida, Panhandle, S. Carolina, and Georgia area!!!

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 06:38 PM
There are no more DII schools that would fit the AE profile. IF the split occurs, it will leave the AE with mostly LARGE public state schools. The Bryant's and Bentley's of the world do not fit in this profile, though they have solid academics.
IUP fits the AEC profile, what about Stony Brook,Albany,C.Conn St. adding them where if the CAA stays together the AEC would not have enough.

Pageoner
April 11th, 2007, 06:39 PM
werent people talking awhile back about somehow georgia state joining the Big East? or is that just me being delusional

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM
What are you talking about? The AEC football conference IS going to be made up of SBU and Albany (along with Maine and UNH). They have been the proponents with the other two.

Now, Central, has been told to work on a few things because they are an obvious. However they are FCS now...and not DII....the post was about DII.

IUP is the only one to fit the bill and they will most likely NOT be invited because of their locale (ever see where they are located?). Who knows...but unlikely right now.

Fresno St. Alum
just because Bentley and Bryant are private doesn't mean they don't belong. If they had 63 schollys I don't see why not. there are plenty of conferences with public and private schools

Dane96
werent people talking awhile back about somehow georgia state joining the Big East? or is that just me being delusional

Never heard that...but I wouldnt be suprised if Ga. Southern bucked up the whole athletic profile and made a run at the BE.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM
just because Bentley and Bryant are private doesn't mean they don't belong. If they had 63 schollys I don't see why not. there are plenty of conferences with public and private schools

Dude...believe me when I say this...those schools are not being looked at. Leave it at that.

I live close to both...know the ADept people at both...and it ain't happenin. In fact, Bentley wanted to come to the AE and AE Hockey was a part of that. The schools kinda said no to the full-invite.

The AE, outside of Hartford (who would never be invited now) is going ALL-PUBLIC....and large schools.

It is the reason the Q has been rejected (plus their **** academics).

Hey, I have nothing against Bentley and Bryant (both great schools) but right now...as the profile CURRENTLY IS DEVELOPED, they do not fit.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Maine & UNH are in the CAA if they left and started a conference that would be a split. I hear from most people that the AEC schools won't leave unless forced out.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Never heard that...but I wouldnt be suprised if Ga. Southern bucked up the whole athletic profile and made a run at the BE.
no, that is not gonna happen

youwouldno

LOL

GSU needs to worry about competing in FCS again, or even the Sun Belt won't take them. The BE? Not in the next few hundred years.

Dane96
"Maine & UNH are in the CAA if they left and started a conference that would be a split. I hear from most people that the AEC schools won't leave unless forced out."

Good lord. Why do you have to argue everything. I HAVE AN AE PROSPECTUS...designed by UNH, Maine, Albany, and Stony Brook...trying to convince UMASS, HOFSTRA, and URI to come aboard.

Drop it.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:46 PM
LOL

GSU needs to worry about competing in FCS again, or even the Sun Belt won't take them. The BE? Not in the next few hundred years.

Hey, I agree, but I would see them (much like E. Carolina) trying to make a run.

Not saying the BE would take them....

youwouldno
April 11th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Why do you care about the BE? ECU is a decent mid-major FBS program, nothing more. GSU could possibly achieve that. Neither will ever be in a BCS conference.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I want to see the AEC get football I hope it happens I just don't know if it will

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I am still not sold that Ga. State football is viable in the Atlanta market under CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES.

Few reasons:

1. UGA- About 1.5 hours away (correct me if I am wrong).
2. Ga. Tech...backyard
3. Ga. Southern...alumni fill up Atlanta
4. Commuter school (this rarely works for football...see FIU among others).
5. The locals and media rarely give a rats tail about Ga. State Sports right now!
6. Transients- Atlanta has a HUGE transient population that isn't from the area and could care less about Ga. State.

Basically, Ga. State is fighting over entertainment dollars with many local entities that have deep ties. Yes, Ga. State has a huge student population...but how many care about football.

Hey, great for Ga. State if it happens...but I am not sold it will be viable.
2 quick things...

first of all it takes me more like an hour (no traffic) from downtown to athens but atlanta is filled with mostly uga fans even gt gets put down by how many uga fans are around...
second, you make a number of great points but... remember there are more than 4.5 million people in the area that is much more of a college sports town than a pro sports town so i think there would be enough interest to make it happen

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Youwouldknow...my tirade wasnt meant for you...it was for Fresno. It didnt include the quote.

I am a huge BE fan though and I agree with you that neither ECU or GSU are going to be there.

Memphis and UCF are most likely the next candidates...Memphis being No. 1

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I want to note...they would most likely field some great teams with all that talent in the N. Florida, Panhandle, S. Carolina, and Georgia area!!!
the talent in georgia alone is through the roof and there would be plenty to go around for ga st for sure

Dane96
2 quick things...

first of all it takes me more like an hour (no traffic) from downtown to athens but atlanta is filled with mostly uga fans even gt gets put down by how many uga fans are around...
second, you make a number of great points but... remember there are more than 4.5 million people in the area that is much more of a college sports town than a pro sports town so i think there would be enough interest to make it happen

I agree with the premise of your second point. My problem with it is that Ga. State averaged barely 1000 REAL FANS (not season ticket sales) for one of the best Mid-Major sports leagues in the country for hoops the past two years.

appfan2008
Why do you care about the BE? ECU is a decent mid-major FBS program, nothing more. GSU could possibly achieve that. Neither will ever be in a BCS conference.
georgia southern has no chance to move up IMO until they win another title

youwouldno
April 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Youwouldknow...my tirade wasnt meant for you...it was for Fresno. It didnt include the quote.

I am a huge BE fan though and I agree with you that neither ECU or GSU are going to be there.

Memphis and UCF are most likely the next candidates...Memphis being No. 1

Not to get even more off topic here... isn't the BE kind of full? Unless I'm missing something I don't see how the BE could possibly expand unless there is some kind of exodus... and why would that happen? There's nowhere to go...

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM
What are you talking about? The AEC football conference IS going to be made up of SBU and Albany (along with Maine and UNH). They have been the proponents with the other two.

Now, Central, has been told to work on a few things because they are an obvious. However they are FCS now...and not DII....the post was about DII.

IUP is the only one to fit the bill and they will most likely NOT be invited because of their locale (ever see where they are located?). Who knows...but unlikely right now.
yes I know where IUP is but Stony Brook is in the Big South for FB. La Tech is in the WAC. I'm sure you know more about the funds of Bentley and Bryant but I'm saying if a private school is willing to play at full schollys, why not a private and plenty of conferences have both.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I agree with the premise of your second point. My problem with it is that Ga. State averaged barely 1000 REAL FANS (not season ticket sales) for one of the best Mid-Major sports leagues in the country for hoops the past two years.
I agree with that and the only thing that i can respond to that is saying that georgia as a state is not a basketball state... football is king in the state... uga it aint even close gt is about as excited for bball as football but look at the falcons vs. the hawks... hawks have no one show up but falcons sell out every game... so maybe it would work!

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Not to get even more off topic here... isn't the BE kind of full? Unless I'm missing something I don't see how the BE could possibly expand unless there is some kind of exodus... and why would that happen? There's nowhere to go...

Jim Boheim is leading (always has been) the exodus talk after the neg of Syracuse in hoops this year. Believe me, Syracuse holds much power.

The thought, always, will be for a split in football/hoops. Who knows if that will occur.

If it does, Memphis will be No. 1 because of the strength of hoops that would place the G-Town and Villanova's of the BE.

I spoke with Tranghese this summer at the Viking Hotel in R.I. about when they were there for the BE football summit.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM
yes I know where IUP is but Stony Brook is in the Big South for FB. La Tech is in the WAC. I'm sure you know more about the funds of Bentley and Bryant but I'm saying if a private school is willing to play at full schollys, why not a private and plenty of conferences have both.

Lord,

Stony Brook is the BS because they f'd up. They bolted and were left dangling as an independent. This is a major marriage of convienence that will not last.

Albany, thought different of such a move and stayed with the NEC. I doubt SBU will be in the Big South for long.

La Tech wont be in the WAC for long.

The bottom line....the AE wants like-minded institutions...PERIOD.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Jim Boheim is leading (always has been) the exodus talk after the neg of Syracuse in hoops this year. Believe me, Syracuse holds much power.

The thought, always, will be for a split in football/hoops. Who knows if that will occur.

If it does, Memphis will be No. 1 because of the strength of hoops that would place the G-Town and Villanova's of the BE.

I spoke with Tranghese this summer at the Viking Hotel in R.I. about when they were there for the BE football summit.
are you sayiing syracuse is trying to get out of the BE

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I agree with that and the only thing that i can respond to that is saying that georgia as a state is not a basketball state... football is king in the state... uga it aint even close gt is about as excited for bball as football but look at the falcons vs. the hawks... hawks have no one show up but falcons sell out every game... so maybe it would work!

Totally agree. Where I DO think they can make up some fans are with the Morris Brown fans (especially if the play at that stadium and stop all this Ga. Dome talk). Those students miss football.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I think SB will be gone in only a few years as well... that is not a marriage that will last

dbackjon
April 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I think SB will be gone in only a few years as well... that is not a marriage that will last

It is not a marriage that is supposed to last. Stop gap marriage of convenience for both parties.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM
are you sayiing syracuse is trying to get out of the BE

Jim Boheim said it at the post-selection conference. Basically said that he saw no need to be in a large conference if a team with a winning record (10 wins) in conference did not get an invite to the Dance. Fighting for too many bids in his opinion.

It is no secret that the football schools are not happy sharing the BCS money (though there is some sort of measured sharing...not sure of the exact numbers...based on football only lines).

appfan2008
Totally agree. Where I DO think they can make up some fans are with the Morris Brown fans (especially if the play at that stadium and stop all this Ga. Dome talk). Those students miss football.
Yeah that would be totally stupid to play in the dome... I have been in there at events like high school football games with say 10,000 fans (which would be realistic for ga st in the begining) and you feel like the place is empty... they probably want a stadium that seats about 12-15 because they could grow into it

Dane96
It is not a marriage that is supposed to last. Stop gap marriage of convenience for both parties.

Exactly Dback!!!!:D

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah that would be totally stupid to play in the dome... I have been in there at events like high school football games with say 10,000 fans (which would be realistic for ga st in the begining) and you feel like the place is empty... they probably want a stadium that seats about 12-15 because they could grow into it

And Morris Brown's stadium is perfect, recently retro-fitted!!!

dbackjon
April 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Jim Boheim said it at the post-selection conference. Basically said that he saw no need to be in a large conference if a team with a winning record (10 wins) in conference did not get an invite to the Dance. Fighting for too many bids in his opinion.

It is no secret that the football schools are not happy sharing the BCS money (though there is some sort of measured sharing...not sure of the exact numbers...based on football only lines).

And Boeheim is right. The NCAA is under way too much pressure to not take 8-11 teams from one conference. The CAA will be in the same football position in a couple of years, IMHO as well.

appfan2008

well those are certainly some valid points that he raises... i think they could split into east and west and both of those would be absolutely great bball conferences

Fresno St. Alum
dane, you're funny, you're used to people listening too you and doing what you say. with the "drop it" thing. I don't run by your sechedule. Yup I hope you're right about La Tech not being around long, but they've been in the WAC too long already. SBU will have to last 4 years, that's in their contract. IUP would also be a marriage convenience, but that happens a lot in the NCAA

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:02 PM
And Boeheim is right. The NCAA is under way too much pressure to not take 8-11 teams from one conference. The CAA will be in the same football position in a couple of years, IMHO as well.
The caa needs to break up as well... a conference should never have more than 12 and the caa may make that soon

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM
And Morris Brown's stadium is perfect, recently retro-fitted!!!
is morris brown willing???

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM
dane, you're funny, you're used to people listening too you and doing what you say. with the "drop it" thing. I don't run by your sechedule. Yup I hope you're right about La Tech not being around long, but they've been in the WAC too long already. SBU will have to last 4 years, that's in their contract. IUP would also be a marriage convenience, but that happens a lot in the NCAA

Dude, I will debate you all day and ten times on Sunday. I am not used to people listening to me (nice assumption).

What I do speak is of:

A) foresight
B) knowledge of the AE schools, presidents, and commish
c) knowledge of most college sports programs as I was a higher up at FansOnly (the CSTV predecessor)
d) FACT

So, my points aren't a "f u I am right," rather they are based on some other things and I am trying to explain them to you...but you just keep on playing devil's advocate.
xnonox

JMU2004
April 11th, 2007, 07:07 PM
if GSU moves up, I am pretty sure that this means JMU is looking to FBS......too many start-ups coming into the CAA and watering down the product

Dane96
is morris brown willing???

Not sure, but that is an empty stadium. I forgot what year they dropped football. If I am correct, I believe it is used for the marching band (they are nasty), high schools, and soccer.

I remember hearing (or reading...I forget) that part of the Ga. State feasibility study indicated MBU stadium as one of the best options. I am sure they contacted MBU for cost studies.

Dane96
Oh...and Fresno...SBU can break their contract any day of the week. The buyout is minimal compared to the $$$ they are spending. That being said, unless a CAA invite comes (or an AEC conference) then they will last the length of the contract.

Wanna argue that one too?

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Not sure, but that is an empty stadium. I forgot what year they dropped football. If I am correct, I believe it is used for the marching band (they are nasty), high schools, and soccer.

I remember hearing (or reading...I forget) that part of the Ga. State feasibility study indicated MBU stadium as one of the best options. I am sure they contacted MBU for cost studies.
I am from suburban atlanta so going down that way is not the best idea in the world... that is why i was unaware of the situation

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I just bring up all the options, because things don't always go as you think, see ETSU's (no football anytime soon)

You lose credibility, when you say you could see Ga. Southern in the BE.

appfan2008
if GSU moves up, I am pretty sure that this means JMU is looking to FBS......too many start-ups coming into the CAA and watering down the product
why are jmu and gsu a packaged deal for fbs anyway... ?

Dane96
Do you mean going down as in...neighborhood? I am asking simply because it is the closest option (other than the G. Dome) for Ga. State (the other was retrofitting Panther Park...no way that works for commuting students).

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I just bring up all the option, because things don't always go as you think, see ETSU's (no football anytime soon)

we all know gsu isnt going to the BE anytime soon

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Dane, do you think the AEC will have football in 4 years? If no then I see no reason to worry about it.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I just bring up all the option, because things don't always go as you think, see ETSU's (no football anytime soon)

I SAID I CAN SEE Ga. Southern pursuing the Big East....

And...for the record, when I brought up Ga. Southern to Tranghese...he didnt say absolutely no.

BUT IF Ga. Southern went FBS, they most certainly would contact the Big East.

So how exactly did I lose credibility?

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Do you mean going down as in...neighborhood? I am asking simply because it is the closest option (other than the G. Dome) for Ga. State (the other was retrofitting Panther Park...no way that works for commuting students).
yeah... neighborhood...

the whole downtown area near ga st isnt all too bad but over near mb is... but that sounds like a great option there are very close...

JMU2004
April 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM
why are jmu and gsu a packaged deal for fbs anyway... ?

I was referring to Ga. State

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
JMU...personally, I see you guys going FCS soon, followed by App State and Ga. Southern.

I think Delaware is very happy where they are.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I SAID I CAN SEE Ga. Southern pursuing the Big East....

And...for the record, when I brought up Ga. Southern to Tranghese...he didnt say absolutely no.

BUT IF Ga. Southern went FBS, they most certainly would contact the Big East.

So how exactly did I lose credibility?
you dont lose cred and gsu pursuing the BE is not a problem getting in may be difficult... I believe it could happen but they will have to turn their program around which i believe will happen

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Again, totally agree.

Maybe you can explain that to my Fresno friend.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:16 PM
JMU...personally, I see you guys going FCS soon, followed by App State and Ga. Southern.

I think Delaware is very happy where they are.
I agree... I dont think either gsu asu or jmu will be going up in the next five years but in the next ten... watch out

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
i believe pursuing and getting in are different things... that is why no cred is lost fresno

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Trangesee was being nice by not telling you the truth (hell no, they aren't getting in). By saying you could see them in, you lose cred. I talk about the move up latter all the time. It seems to hold true SoCon to BE is too many rungs

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM
why? gsu's baseball is better than any in the BE... their football is comparable to lower teams when they are their normal self... basketball is a little iffy though... it is concievable

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
So...wait, Tranghese was being nice to me, an invited guest of his, but you have more insight on this on what conversations?

Right.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
BTW, I meant going FBS...not FCS.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Trangesee was being nice by not telling you the truth (hell no, they aren't getting in). By saying you could see them in, you lose cred. I talk about the move up latter all the time. It seems to hold true SoCon to BE is too many rungs

AGAIN...i said I see them PURSUING...I didnt say I see them in.

LEARN TO ****ING READ!

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:22 PM
thats good for you app, I want to exract all the knowledge I can from dane, but worry that some of it might just be grandstanding, seeing fluf like GSU mentioned with the BE makes me raise the red flag. I hope that Dane has TexasTerror knowlegde. But I'm not sure yet

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I think fcs will be hurting in a few years maybe ten when teams like asu, gsu, jmu and possibly ysu, uni, or montana begin to move up... i hope it doesnt happen but we all know it is probably inevitable

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:23 PM
thats good for you app, I want to exract all the knowledge I can from dane, but worry that some of it might just be grandstanding, seeing fluf like GSU mentioned with the BE makes me raise the red flag. I hope that Dane has TexasTerror knowlegde. But I'm not sure yet
yeah i agree but all i can do is take is word and that is what i am doing

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:23 PM

My original quote for Fresno.

READING, is fundamental. Putting words in mouths of others, is not.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM
you told me trangesee said he didn't rule it out. Just like the pac 10 hasn't ruled out montana st.b

Pageoner
April 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM
the AE football confrence concept is rediculous at best.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM
And for the record, whatI have said on this board in 1055 posts, has come to pass as fact.

Hey, if you are ever in Boston...I can show you the AEC football prospectus. Maybe then you can get that bug out of your butt, Mr. Fresno State.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
BE shouldn't in the same sentence with GSU run jump hop skip any kind of way at it.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
you told me trangesee said he didn't rule it out. Just like the pac 10 hasn't ruled out montana st.b

What the **** is wrong with you. By not ruling it out...the man was non-commital. That is all.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
So...should Marshall or UCF's name be pulled as well? They have all been mentioned as part of the Big East at one point.

DFW HOYA
Mike Tranghese was once asked about Georgetown playing in the Big East someday. He basically ruled it out, so if the Hoyas aren't on the short list, GSU certainly isn't either.

Dane96
the AE football confrence concept is rediculous at best.

And you base this on what? If the CAA splits, and UMASS, URI, Maine, and UNH are jettisoned...it comes to pass.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Dane, read my other posts I WANT THE AEC FOOTBALL THING TO HAPPEN. I HOPE YOU"RE RIGHT.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Who would be in this AEC conference?

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:29 PM
And you base this on what? If the CAA splits, and UMASS, URI, Maine, and UNH are jettisoned...it comes to pass.
it would be nice to see this happen...the caa is just too big

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Mike Tranghese was once asked about Georgetown playing in the Big East someday. He basically ruled it out, so if the Hoyas aren't on the short list, GSU certainly isn't either.
IMO gsu would join before georgetown due to their commitment to the sport even if it is only joining for football

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:30 PM

And why did he say this?

Do you remember DF? I do. He said this because ALL SCHOOLS in the Big East were given automatic football membership when the BE football conference came to being.

Georgetown, like St. John's, did not support BE football, nor did they support the teams they had at a level near Villanova. Mike basically stated that he FELT GEORGETOWN would never come to that level...but was HIGHLY dissappointed with Villanova and UCONN not making the jump a the time.

Both schools were given permanent standing offers, while St. John's and Georgetown were not.

DF...you are usually spot on so I dont know why you wouldnt have offered what I just did as a qualifier to your statement.

That, is exactly how it went down.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Marshall and UCF are in the C-USA a rung below the BE not 3 like GSU

1BE then 2C-USA then 3SUN BELT then 4SoCon

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:32 PM
i have read on here before just how little georgetown cares about football so why would they join the be

dbackjon
April 11th, 2007, 07:32 PM

I'd rate the SoCon higher than the SunBelt! :)

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM

I dont know if that extra rung is necessary...

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'd rate the SoCon higher than the SunBelt! :)
basically what i meant!xnodx xnodx xnodx

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:35 PM
SUN Belt does suck but they are FBS technically a rung ahead of the SoCon. in B-Ball they are not better than the socon. Sun Belt is the stomping ground for FBS newbies.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Who would be in this AEC conference?

The pitch was to URI, Hofstra, and UMASS. They all told the AE that we had to up the hoop profile. The AE has done that. UMASS and URI were contacted because of the possible jettison from the CAA. Hofstra, because there were complaints from the President about Olympic Sports.

It is still a long, long way off....however it is possible in some format...most likely in 7-10 years.

The teams would be:

Albany
Stony Brook
UNH
Maine
URI
UMASS
Hofstra

...to start.

There is so much jockeying that occur...that I dont even think much about this until we see what happens with the BE, the CAA, and eventually the A-Ten (that league may break up in hoops as it is constructed).

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:38 PM
that would certainly assure the caa becoming more of a midatlantic league and not a northeast league which i think would be good

youwouldno
April 11th, 2007, 07:41 PM
The SoCon is better than the Sun Belt in football despite fewer schollies. So it depends on how much weight you grant the FBS label. Most FBS fans consider the Sun Belt to basically be a lower level anyway.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM
The SoCon is better than the Sun Belt in football despite fewer schollies. So it depends on how much weight you grant the FBS label. Most FBS fans consider the Sun Belt to basically be a lower level anyway.
they are and some years they have trouble getting one team to 6-5 just to make their one bowl spot

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM
So true....N. Texas a few years back

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Yes App could put a whoopin on a lot of the SBC schools but if a SoCon member moves to the FBS they wont be able to stay in the socon, welcome to the Sun Belt.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM
W.KY is in a weaker conference too. but its a move up $$$. GVSU says the same thing about themselves in D-II.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM
what if the whole conference decided to move up?

that is always a possibiltiy isnt it? maybe add jmu and take out elon or something?

it might work

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM
no, furman, app st, gsu maybe chatty could, not the rest.

youwouldno
April 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM
WKU is moving up for basketball reasons, since that's the sport that matters there. They are punting football, since anyone can be OK in the Sun Belt and there's no way to have real football success in that conference. Even so WKU is interested in the MAC and so they figure its easier to move to the MAC from the SBC than FCS, since they will already give out the 85 schollies.

A long term stay in the SBC by WKU would be an unmitigated failure on their part.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Well if the MAC takes them, that would be good.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
but all these that are trying for the MAC do realize that they are full with 12 teams already

youwouldno
April 11th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I guess they hope the MAC goes supersize, BE style.

Fresno St. Alum
April 11th, 2007, 07:55 PM
they have 13 for football with temple, they need 12 full or 14 full I hate this associate member stuff

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM
that is just too big for me... i enjoy conferences that are 9 teams for bball and football like the acc was for about 12 years before their expansion... that way in fball everyone plays everyone and in bball everyone does home and home with everyone

Pageoner
April 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM
i just personally think it doesnt make sense to add teams like Albany and Stony Brook unless you two show serious improvement overall.

Dane96
April 11th, 2007, 09:43 PM
i just personally think it doesnt make sense to add teams like Albany and Stony Brook unless you two show serious improvement overall.

You man like going down to perennial powers (albeit down years) and beating them in our 7th year of DI. Like improving facilities. Like adding scholarships. I'd say that is serious imrpovement.

xcoffeex

Pageoner
April 11th, 2007, 10:49 PM
truue.
i know you guys beat delaware last year.
but stony brook lost by like 50 points to UNH and UMass
not exactly competition.ya know?

DFW HOYA
April 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Georgetown, like St. John's, did not support BE football, nor did they support the teams they had at a level near Villanova. Mike basically stated that he FELT GEORGETOWN would never come to that level...but was HIGHLY dissappointed with Villanova and UCONN not making the jump a the time.

Both schools were given permanent standing offers, while St. John's and Georgetown were not.

DF...you are usually spot on so I dont know why you wouldnt have offered what I just did as a qualifier to your statement.

That, is exactly how it went down.

The four I-AA schools at the time (UConn, Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's) had a fixed time limit (I believe it was 2 years) to take the offer of joining the Big East without requiring a 75% vote of the then-existing membership, but still had to meet minimum requirements. Connecticut took the offer, of course, but Villanova does not have an permanent standing offer.

Just my opinion, but Tranghese has had issues in the past with Georgetown over its Big East spending (which is lower than most BE schools) and his public response on football (instead of simply declining comment) suggests he's not in their corner when it comes to matters like this.

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 07:54 AM
truue.
i know you guys beat delaware last year.
but stony brook lost by like 50 points to UNH and UMass
not exactly competition.ya know?
no that is not competition and that is why their move to the big south just doesnt even make sense

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 07:55 AM
The four I-AA schools at the time (UConn, Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's) had a fixed time limit (I believe it was 2 years) to take the offer of joining the Big East without requiring a 75% vote of the then-existing membership, but still had to meet minimum requirements. Connecticut took the offer, of course, but Villanova does not have an permanent standing offer.

Just my opinion, but Tranghese has had issues in the past with Georgetown over its Big East spending (which is lower than most BE schools) and his public response on football (instead of simply declining comment) suggests he's not in their corner when it comes to matters like this.
I dont see vill george or st j moving up anytime soon... if ever actually

henfan
April 12th, 2007, 08:38 AM
So just how far away from the topic are we going to get? Jeezo-pete!

GA State, if they decide to add football, will be guaranteed a spot in the CAA. There are a lot of issues that GSU must rectify before any of this happens. It does not appear to be a lock. The fact that they are considering the Dome over the Morris Brown facility gives me cause for concern. It could potentially be great news for the CAA.

As for all of the other prospective conference configurations, it's a little hard to take any of it seriously at this early stage. In any case, the CAA is in no hurry to "jettison" any of its football affiliates, regardless of how many core members adopt FB start ups. That point has been reiterated time and again by Tom Yeager, CAA commish. If affiliates do leave, it will be on their own accord.

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I think they will want to leave on their own within 5 years

ChooChoo
April 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Two new articles for consumption.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/04/12/0413gsufootball.html
http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=860535
Dan Reeves lays it out there, he wouldn't be involved if he didn't think he could help make it work and he hasn't ruled out coaching.
I feel like a 6 year old on Christmas Eve!

henfan
April 12th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I think they will want to leave on their own within 5 years

Perhaps, but only if there is a solid alternative by which teams won't sacrifice competitiveness, rivalries, scheduling security and an auto-bid. None of the alternative conference configurations floated by fans on message boards can deliever any of those four elements right now.

Whether or not situations change in 5 years or not, no one can possibly know. Clearly though, there's no urgent need to make any moves right now.

MarkCCU
April 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM
They're closer than ETSU

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Perhaps, but only if there is a solid alternative by which teams won't sacrifice competitiveness, rivalries, scheduling security and an auto-bid. None of the alternative conference configurations floated by fans on message boards can deliever any of those four elements right now.

Whether or not situations change in 5 years or not, no one can possibly know. Clearly though, there's no urgent need to make any moves right now.
no but whether it is jmu moving up or a lower team opting out or some of the northern teams creating their own conference with the promise of an auto... I do see something shaking things up there in the CAA

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 03:43 PM
They're closer than ETSU
I think anyone with out a football team is closer than etsu right now

henfan
April 12th, 2007, 10:15 PM
no but whether it is jmu moving up or a lower team opting out or some of the northern teams creating their own conference with the promise of an auto... I do see something shaking things up there in the CAA

I absolutely agree that things will change... eventually. They always do. The nature and timing of the changes are what's in doubt. There are so many variables that speculating seems almost pointless to me. In the short term, I really wouldn't expect much of anything to happen with CAA membership.