PDA

View Full Version : Southland Off-Season News

Pages : [1] 2 3

lionsrking2
January 22nd, 2019, 08:18 PM
I know there's been some changes at several Southland schools this off-season, be it coaching changes, personnel additions/subtractions, facility enhancements, etc. Who's doing what? Getting better? Worse? Staying the same?

McNeese72
January 22nd, 2019, 08:30 PM
I know there's been some changes at several Southland schools this off-season, be it coaching changes, personnel additions/subtractions, facility enhancements, etc. Who's doing what? Getting better? Worse? Staying the same?

The pedigrees of our new coaches look good. Whether we will get better or not remains to be determined. There is a lot of optimism here but I am withholding judgement until I see the product on the field in the next couple of years.

Hopefully, it will be like basketball with the new coach. A lot of new faces on the team and a slow progression of getting better since the season began. I am anxious to see what kind of new players they can recruit. Basketball is starting to be fun to watch again. Hopefully, football will be the same.

Doc

Outsider1
January 22nd, 2019, 08:38 PM
We have been excited with some of our new recruits; both transfers and HS signees, but we have also had a few transfer out and now the final clarification that our DC is moving to TX St. It will make the next few months interesting for us. Do we continue improvement? Is it a brief hiccup that causes a little plateau before the improvement curve moves up again? I am not sure we know. I think I felt we were finally getting some stability but I am not as positive.

lionsrking2
January 23rd, 2019, 01:06 AM
The pedigrees of our new coaches look good. Whether we will get better or not remains to be determined. There is a lot of optimism here but I am withholding judgement until I see the product on the field in the next couple of years.

Hopefully, it will be like basketball with the new coach. A lot of new faces on the team and a slow progression of getting better since the season began. I am anxious to see what kind of new players they can recruit. Basketball is starting to be fun to watch again. Hopefully, football will be the same.

Doc

I like your new staff. Good track record and taking over a program that doesn't need much to get rolling again. I have no doubt the Cowboys will be successful. I also like what you're doing in hoops with the new facility and coaching staff. And obviously Justin Hill is doing a great job with the baseball program.

lionsrking2
January 23rd, 2019, 01:10 AM
We have been excited with some of our new recruits; both transfers and HS signees, but we have also had a few transfer out and now the final clarification that our DC is moving to TX St. It will make the next few months interesting for us. Do we continue improvement? Is it a brief hiccup that causes a little plateau before the improvement curve moves up again? I am not sure we know. I think I felt we were finally getting some stability but I am not as positive.

With the new stadium and Dorrel in place, I see continued progress on ACU's horizon. Hiccups are a part of it but the components are there to win in the SLC and the FCS over the long term.

lionsrking2
January 23rd, 2019, 01:24 AM
We took a step back in 2018 adjusting to a new coaching staff, but I'm hopeful we'll see improvement in 2019. The schedule is tough, with four opponents who made the 2018 FCS playoffs, plus Ole Miss, but we've added some pieces and made some changes on the staff which should help us. Former McNeese head coach, Lance Guidry takes over as defensive coordinator and has a good track record in that role, plus we added a defensive line coach (Raymond Monica) with eight years of FBS DC experience and 13 years experience as a D-II head coach. We can't get much worse on defense than we were in '18.

Offensively, I like the addition of Arkansas transfer QB, Cole Kelley. Frank Scelfo has a history running pro style offense and developing QBs and Kelley fits what he likes to do. We now have three guys on the roster who have started games at QB at the FBS level, two in the SEC. It'll be an interesting battle this spring with Chason Virgil and JC transfer Mason Schucker. Lorenzo Nunez has made the permanent move to WR. We'll see how it unfolds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUh4TvpMJU

Daytripper
January 23rd, 2019, 08:52 AM
Sam getting athletic facilities updates. Renovations to the field house among them.... https://www.itemonline.com/sports/sam_houston_state_university_bearkats/kats-aim-to-improve-field-house-in/article_447ab1a7-ee9e-58ed-8ae6-63a7dcaaaa95.html

lionsrking2
January 23rd, 2019, 09:10 AM
Sam getting athletic facilities updates. Renovations to the field house among them.... https://www.itemonline.com/sports/sam_houston_state_university_bearkats/kats-aim-to-improve-field-house-in/article_447ab1a7-ee9e-58ed-8ae6-63a7dcaaaa95.html

Nice!👍

Outsider1
January 23rd, 2019, 10:01 AM

Indeed, very nice!

McNeese75
January 23rd, 2019, 10:24 AM

Very nice (and it's about time xnodx )

BEAR
January 23rd, 2019, 10:32 AM
Has anyone else seen their players out practicing? I drove by the stadium yesterday and there were large groups of them out there doing every kind of drill known to football. Kind of cool to see that much effort in the early off season. Hope our starting QB Smith is healing up. Also hope our backup QB is healing up too. Both injured early in the season last year and never played another down all year. You can have a really good team but no QB and you are in trouble. xlolx I'll see if I can get some photos today if they are practicing outside.

McNeese72
January 23rd, 2019, 10:58 AM
Has anyone else seen their players out practicing? I drove by the stadium yesterday and there were large groups of them out there doing every kind of drill known to football. Kind of cool to see that much effort in the early off season. Hope our starting QB Smith is healing up. Also hope our backup QB is healing up too. Both injured early in the season last year and never played another down all year. You can have a really good team but no QB and you are in trouble. xlolx I'll see if I can get some photos today if they are practicing outside.

Try not having much of an offensive line. Doesn't matter if you have a good QB, Rb's and Wr's.

Doc

BEAR
January 23rd, 2019, 11:12 AM
Try not having much of an offensive line. Doesn't matter if you have a good QB, Rb's and Wr's.

Doc

Truth.

lionsrking2
January 23rd, 2019, 03:20 PM
Southeastern Louisiana adds four for 2019 ...

https://lionsports.net/news/2019/1/23/football-southeastern-adds-four-for-2019.aspx

2019 Southeastern Louisiana Football Midyear Additions (in school for spring semester)

Jalen Bell – OL – 6-5 – 340 – Amory, Miss. – Copiah-Lincoln CC/Amory HS
Matt DeBlaiso – TE – 6-4 – 235 – Seaford, N.Y. – Nassau CC/MacArthur HS
Cole Kelley – QB – 6-7 – 260 – Lafayette, La. – Arkansas/Teurlings Catholic HS
Anthony Spurlock – WR – 6-1 – 170 – New Orleans, La. – Western Kentucky/Edna Karr HS
Josh Smith – DE – 6-4 – 276 – New Orleans, La. – Pearl River CC/Landry-Walker HS
Mason Schucker – QB – 6-4 – 207 – Searcy, Ar. – Hutchinson CC/Searcy HS

December Early Signing Period

Darrian Achane – ATH – 5-9 – 178 – Jennings, La. – Jennings HS
Jaylin Armwood – DB – 6-2 – 184 – Baton Rouge, La. – Catholic HS
Lucien Babino – DB – 5-11 – 182 – Marrero, La. – John Ehret HS
Robert Buquoi – DB – 6-2 – 197 – Covington, La. – St. Paul's HS
Herman Christophe – LB – 5-11 – 223 – Plaquemine, La. – Plaquemine HS
Kendall Collins Jr. – RB – 5-7 – 183 – New Orleans, La. – De La Salle HS
Michael Corner Jr. – WR – 6-1 – 175 – New Orleans, La. – Edna Karr HS
Justin Douglas – DB – 5-10 – 165 – Atlanta, Ga. – Mount Vernon Presbyterian School
Hayden Hagler – TE – 6-3 – 220 – Sulphur, La. – Sulphur HS
Darrius Harry – LB – 6-2 – 218 – New Orleans, La. – East Jefferson HS
Michael Henderson – LB – 5-11 – 251 – Baton Rouge, La. – Madison Prep Academy
Alex Huszar – LB – 6-0 – 215 – Destrehan, La. – Destrehan HS
Ron Madison – LB – 6-3 – 230 – New Iberia, La. - Westgate HS
Gregory Mahtook – DB – 6-0 – 186 – Lafayette, La. – St. Thomas More HS
Carrington McClinton – DB – 5-9 – 188 – Lake Charles, La. – Washington Marion HS
Davion Nassri – LB – 5-11 – 208 – Victorville, Calif. – Denham Springs HS
J'Vonte Powers – DB – 5-9 – 160 – Plaquemine, La. – Plaquemine HS
Jaeden Ridgeway – DL – 6-2 – 254 – Pascagoula, Miss. – Pearl River CC/Pascagoula HS
Dontrell Smith – CB – 5-10 – 168 – Destrehan, La. – Destrehan HS
Eldridge Walker – DL – 6-2 – 251 – Marrero, La. – John Ehret HS
Brockhim Wicks – OL – 6-2 – 302 – Plaquemine, La. – Plaquemine HS

Committed - Expected to sign on February 6th

Ed Magee – WR – 6-1 – 180 – Kentwood, La. – Kentwood HS
Dominic Lamm – LB – 6-1 – 225 – New Orleans, La. – Holy Cross HS

Outsider1
January 23rd, 2019, 04:21 PM
Currently our signees and commits look like this.. Most of the transfers are here and enrolled already I think. I haven't had time look for any activity yet.

ACU Signees-

QB Andrew Stripling, 6'5 185, Marble Falls

RB Jessie Anderson, 6'0 225, Longview

FB TJ Tumbleson, 5'8 220 Iowa Central JUCO

WR LJ McConnell, 5'11 195 Liberty University

WR Justus Lee, 5'10 190, Fullerton College

TE Paxton Bergdoll, 6'6 245, Arizona Western

TE Brandon Hohenstein, 6'4 225, Nebraska

OL Tanner Parker, 6'5 300, Snow College

OL Zachary Terry, 6'6 305, Coffeyville

OL Zachary Branner, 6'5 321, Troy University

DT Michael Gayden, 6'2 265, Blinn JUCO

DT Lakendrick Jones, 6'2 260 Mississippi Gulf Coast JUCO

DT Bright Ihegworo, 6'1 285, Angelo St.

LB Hunter Kier, 6'0 215, Butler JUCO

ACU Commits-
WR Caleb Durham-Honer, 5'10 175, San Antonio Christian

WR Devin Davis, 6'4 185, Mesquite

OL Cody Anthony, 6'6 260, North Lamar

TE Will Morgan, 6'3 225, Waxahachie

DE Osaretin Obadeyi, 6'3 230, Mesquite

BEAR
January 24th, 2019, 09:15 AM
UCA picked up a 3 star dual threat QB yesterday. Hard commit but I imagine if he gets an offer at a decent FBS school he may decide otherwise. UCA would be a GREAT place for his career though. We'll see on signing day if he stays. Hope he does. I watched this kid play the last few years and he is calm under pressure.

Also got another 3 star Safety commit recently. 5 offers. Hope he signs too.

I believe signing day is February 6?

UCA's signed 2019 commits:

Marshun Douglas- APB- 5'9" 167- 2 star Kirby High. Memphis Tennessee (offer from Tulsa)
Donte Jones- Safety- 5'11" 171- two star Bentonville High Arkansas (offers from UT-Martin and UAPB)
Chandler Caughron- Kicker- 6' 185- two star. Evangelical Christian Cordova, Tennessee
Zion Hatley- RB- 6' 180 two star. Arkadelphia High, Arkansas (offers from South Dakota State and Ouachita Baptist)
Joshua George- OG- 6'3" 309 two star. Benton, Arkansas ( 5 offers )
MarQuez Casey, WDE- 6'2" 225 two star. Jacksonville, Arkansas (UAPB offer)
James Kitt- DT. 6'3" 255 Pensacola, Florida (South Alabama, Southern Miss. and UAB offers)
Taurean Mays- SDE. 6'2" 235 Crestview Florida

Daytripper
January 24th, 2019, 09:18 AM
UCA picked up a 3 star dual threat QB yesterday. Hard commit but I imagine if he gets an offer at a decent FBS school he may decide otherwise. UCA would be a GREAT place for his career though. We'll see on signing day if he stays. Hope he does.

I believe signing day is February 6?

After early signing period, if a decent QB hasn't gotten an offer and committed to an FBS school yet, they are likely not getting an offer. I think he's sticking with you.

BEAR
January 24th, 2019, 09:36 AM
After early signing period, if a decent QB hasn't gotten an offer and committed to an FBS school yet, they are likely not getting an offer. I think he's sticking with you.

Man that would be GREAT!

Funny thing is my son's football coach told his team that if they haven't heard from a college coach halfway through their junior year then the odds of them playing in college plummet to basically zero. My son has heard from 3 of them since the 10th grade. Funny thing. He may not play college ball. Although lately he has had a "fire" in his belly. xlolx Teenagers. One day they're sold out, the next they want to quit. I'm just an observer...xlolx

Daytripper
January 24th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Man that would be GREAT!

Funny thing is my son's football coach told his team that if they haven't heard from a college coach halfway through their junior year then the odds of them playing in college plummet to basically zero. My son has heard from 3 of them since the 10th grade. Funny thing. He may not play college ball. Although lately he has had a "fire" in his belly. xlolx Teenagers. One day they're sold out, the next they want to quit. I'm just an observer...xlolx

I'm quite sure you *never* changed your mind as a teenager.....xnodx:D

McNeese72
January 24th, 2019, 03:37 PM
We signed a few recruits, have a few commitments, and we will sign some more recruits in Feb. How good are they? I will tell you that in 4 or 5 years. ;)

Doc

SFA 93
January 24th, 2019, 04:41 PM
2019 SFA Football Coaching Staff

Colby Carthel (Head Coach) Angelo State 2000 1st Season
Matt Storm (Offensive Coordinator) East Central Univ. 2006 1st Season
Scott Power (Defensive Coordinator) IUPUI 2006 1st Season
Jared May (Quarterbacks Coach) Hardin-Simmons 2005 1st Season <Coached inside WR's at SFA in 2008-09>
Caid Faske (Defensive Line Coach) West Texas A&M 2014 1st Season
JaMarkus McFarland (Defensive Tackles Coach) Oklahoma 2012 1st Season
Nate Johnson (Safeties Coach) St. Cloud State 2010 1st Season
Kevin Bleil (Inside Wide Receivers Coach) Akron 2010 1st Season
Freddie Banks (Cornerbacks Coach) North Dakota State 2010 1st Season
Kenny Guiton (Outside Receivers Coach) Ohio State 2013 1st Season
Cameron Rogers – (Nickels/Deep Snappers Coach) Texas A&M Commerce 2017 1st Season
Hector Dominguez – (Special Teams/K&P Coach) Texas A&M Commerce 2017 1st Season
Myles Carelock – (Defensive QC) Southern Utah 2016 1st Season

Joshua Stoner (Senior Director of Sports Performance) Centenary College 1999 1st Season
Philip Vigil (Recruiting Coordinator) Colorado Mesa Univ. 2008 1st Season
Casey Watkins (Athletic Operations Coordinator) Stephen F. Austin 2016 1st Season

SFA 93
January 24th, 2019, 05:43 PM
SFA 2019 Recruiting

DT: Carl Williams 6-4; 310 Lufkin, Texas (Lufkin) *** #60 DT; #113 State; #3 ETSN.com Top 25 (Committed)
Offers from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Arkansas, Arizona, Houston, Kansas, Tulsa, Southern Miss. Ole Miss. SMU, Minnesota, UTSA

OL: Zach Ingram 6-7; 275 Independence, Mo. (Ft. Osage/Butler CC) *** #106 Nation; #16 OT; #27 State (Jr.) (Signed)
Offer from McNeese State

OL: Caiden Walker 6-4; 300 Newton, Texas (Newton) *** #22 OC; #7 OC State (Signed)
Offers from Louisiana Tech, Tulsa, Louisiana-Monroe, Tulane, UTEP, Memphis, Lamar, McNeese State, Northwestern State

DE: Marcus Mosley Jr. 6-3; 238 Duncanville, Texas (Duncanville) *** #108 WDE (247sports Top Sleeper) (Committed)
Offers from Army, Colorado State, Jackson State, Louisiana, McNeese State, New Mexico State, Rice, Texas State, UTSA, Illinois State, New Mexico, Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Arkansas

OL: Jade Ashalintubbi 6-7; 315 Elysian Fields, Texas (Elysian Fields) *** #168 OT (Committed)
Offers from Tulsa, New Mexico, Louisiana-Monroe, Lamar, Houston Baptist, Northwestern State

OL: Jaret Porterfield 6-4; 310 Pearland, Texas (Pearland) *** #130 OG (Committed)
Offers from Vanderbilt, Georgia State, Bowling Green, Air Force, Texas State, UTEP

TE: Josh Weeks 6-4; 245 Show Low, Arizona (Show Low/BYU/UTEP) *** #84 WR; #12 State (Sr.) (Committed)
Offers from Florida A&M, Northern Arizona

LB: Gerard McKnight 6-3; 210 Cypress, Texas (Cy Ranch) *** #137 OLB (Committed)
Offers from UTSA, New Mexico, Texas State, Houston Baptist, Texas Southern, Prairie View A&M

RB: Myles Heard 6-0; 190 Sugar Land, Texas (Dulles) ** (Committed)
Offers from Air Force, Illinois State, UIW, Army, Lamar

QB: Lawton Rikel 6-2; 170 Canyon, Texas (Canyon) ** #117 QB (Committed)
Offer from Air Force, West Texas A&M

DE: Hayden Brockenbush 6-5; 220 Lake Dallas, Texas (Lake Dallas) ** (Committed)
Offers from UIW, Air Force, Northwestern State, William & Mary, Missouri State, Arkansas Tech

CB: Kevin Gilliam 6-0; 181 Houston, Texas (North Shore)
Offers from UIW, Northern Iowa

DE: Chance Hill 6-5; 225 Flower Mound, Texas (Flower Mound) (Committed)

OL: Jeremiah Byers 6-6; 290 Austin, Texas (Anderson) (Committed)
Offers from Southern, Grambling State, Howard, UIW, Prairie View A&M, West Texas A&M

OL: Jawaun Singletary 6-2; 280 Houston, Texas (Westfield) (Committed) (Nephew of Mike Singletary)
Offer from McNeese State

OL: Stephen Fulenchek III 6-6; 300 Denison, Texas (Denison) (Committed)

OL: Kendall Major 6-3; 305 Beaumont, Texas (Westbrook/Kilgore College) (Committed)

DE: Jesse Heron 6-3; 220 Angelton, Texas (Angelton) (Committed)

DE: Timothy Twilley 6-4; 261 Killeen, Texas (Killeen) (Committed)
Offer from Abilene Christian

LB: Joshua Ferguson 5-11; 216 Katy, Texas (Taylor) (Committed)
Offers from New Mexico State, UIW, West Texas A&M

QB: Reece Shaw 6-5; 200 Ft. Worth, Texas (SW Christian/Henderson St./Coffeyville CC (Sr.) (Signed)
Offer from UT-Martin

QB: Trae Self 6-3; 195 Richland, Texas (Richland/Butler CC) (Signed)

WR: Josh Allison 6-3; 185 Plano, Texas (East) (Committed)
Offers from Western Illinois, Missouri State, Lamar, Arkansas Tech

Outsider1
January 24th, 2019, 08:05 PM
We are looking forward to some more recruits. I have been able to observe some of the current players on the field running their own drills, so it is nice seeing some early signs of life. In the meantime, we lost another defensive coach. Our DB assistant Ray Brown has moved on to Troy.... It will be interesting to see what Dorrel does this spring with coaches and the defense.

Wildcat1997
January 25th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Clemson graduate assistant Mike Briglin to become safeties coach at ACU

https://acusports.com/news/2019/1/25/new-football-assistant-coach-leaves-clemson-for-acu.aspx

Panther88
January 25th, 2019, 10:56 AM
SFA 2019 Recruiting

DT: Carl Williams 6-4; 310 Lufkin, Texas (Lufkin) *** #60 DT; #113 State; #3 ETSN.com Top 25 (Committed)
Offers from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Arkansas, Arizona, Houston, Kansas, Tulsa, Southern Miss. Ole Miss. SMU, Minnesota, UTSA

OL: Zach Ingram 6-7; 275 Independence, Mo. (Ft. Osage/Butler CC) *** #106 Nation; #16 OT; #27 State (Jr.) (Signed)
Offer from McNeese State

OL: Caiden Walker 6-4; 300 Newton, Texas (Newton) *** #22 OC; #7 OC State (Signed)
Offers from Louisiana Tech, Tulsa, Louisiana-Monroe, Tulane, UTEP, Memphis, Lamar, McNeese State, Northwestern State

DE: Marcus Mosley Jr. 6-3; 238 Duncanville, Texas (Duncanville) *** #108 WDE (247sports Top Sleeper) (Committed)
Offers from Army, Colorado State, Jackson State, Louisiana, McNeese State, New Mexico State, Rice, Texas State, UTSA, Illinois State, New Mexico, Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Arkansas

OL: Jade Ashalintubbi 6-7; 315 Elysian Fields, Texas (Elysian Fields) *** #168 OT (Committed)
Offers from Tulsa, New Mexico, Louisiana-Monroe, Lamar, Houston Baptist, Northwestern State

OL: Jaret Porterfield 6-4; 310 Pearland, Texas (Pearland) *** #130 OG (Committed)
Offers from Vanderbilt, Georgia State, Bowling Green, Air Force, Texas State, UTEP

TE: Josh Weeks 6-4; 245 Show Low, Arizona (Show Low/BYU/UTEP) *** #84 WR; #12 State (Sr.) (Committed)
Offers from Florida A&M, Northern Arizona

LB: Gerard McKnight 6-3; 210 Cypress, Texas (Cy Ranch) *** #137 OLB (Committed)
Offers from UTSA, New Mexico, Texas State, Houston Baptist, Texas Southern, Prairie View A&M

RB: Myles Heard 6-0; 190 Sugar Land, Texas (Dulles) ** (Committed)
Offers from Air Force, Illinois State, UIW, Army, Lamar

QB: Lawton Rikel 6-2; 170 Canyon, Texas (Canyon) ** #117 QB (Committed)
Offer from Air Force, West Texas A&M

DE: Hayden Brockenbush 6-5; 220 Lake Dallas, Texas (Lake Dallas) ** (Committed)
Offers from UIW, Air Force, Northwestern State, William & Mary, Missouri State, Arkansas Tech

CB: Kevin Gilliam 6-0; 181 Houston, Texas (North Shore)
Offers from UIW, Northern Iowa

DE: Chance Hill 6-5; 225 Flower Mound, Texas (Flower Mound) (Committed)

OL: Jeremiah Byers 6-6; 290 Austin, Texas (Anderson) (Committed)
Offers from Southern, Grambling State, Howard, UIW, Prairie View A&M, West Texas A&M

OL: Jawaun Singletary 6-2; 280 Houston, Texas (Westfield) (Committed) (Nephew of Mike Singletary)
Offer from McNeese State

OL: Stephen Fulenchek III 6-6; 300 Denison, Texas (Denison) (Committed)

OL: Kendall Major 6-3; 305 Beaumont, Texas (Westbrook/Kilgore College) (Committed)

DE: Jesse Heron 6-3; 220 Angelton, Texas (Angelton) (Committed)

DE: Timothy Twilley 6-4; 261 Killeen, Texas (Killeen) (Committed)

LB: Joshua Ferguson 5-11; 216 Katy, Texas (Taylor) (Committed)
Offers from New Mexico State, UIW, West Texas A&M

QB: Reece Shaw 6-5; 200 Ft. Worth, Texas (SW Christian/Henderson St./Coffeyville CC (Sr.) (Signed)
Offer from UT-Martin

QB: Trae Self 6-3; 195 Richland, Texas (Richland/Butler CC) (Signed)

WR: Josh Allison 6-3; 185 Plano, Texas (East) (Committed)
Offers from Western Illinois, Missouri State, Lamar, Arkansas Tech

Good info, sfa93. We at PV are decently concerned when an offered prdct hailing from the local Cy-ISD spurns our offer and accepts at another FCS school in tx. The $$$ spent on locker rooms, weight training facilities, et al wasn’t spent for us to be spurned.

Our quest is to BE the top FCS school destination in tx. SHSU holds that position and we are immediately following w/ our offeratory.

SFA 93
January 25th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Got another one today, second one to decommit from Arkansas and headed to SFA.

S: Myles Brooks 6-2; 190 Pflugerville, Texas (Hendrickson) *** #54 S; #82 State (Committed)
Offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado State, FIU, Louisiana Tech, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas State

Pigs in meltdown 2x over SFA

https://twitter.com/prettyboi_inked/status/1088744356339744768

BEAR
January 25th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Got another one today, second one to decommit from Arkansas and headed to SFA.

S: Myles Brooks 6-2; 190 Pflugerville, Texas (Hendrickson) *** #54 S; #82 State (Committed)
Offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado State, FIU, Louisiana Tech, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas State

Players are fleeing the pigs quick.

UCA has picked up a third 3 star player commit last night! C'mon signing day.....get here!

Panther88
January 25th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Carthel and company are making a HUGE splash in tx recruiting. He has a helluva' pedigree and his name was in the mix before we offered our last recent HC. In the end, we made the right choice for HC. Very impressive, SFA.

gobears14
January 25th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Players are fleeing the pigs quick.

UCA has picked up a third 3 star player commit last night! C'mon signing day.....get here!

Not a UAF fan but with those other offers seems there may be more to the story.

Regardless a good pickup! SFA bringing in a ton of talent, should be interesting to see how they look in a few years.

SFA 93
January 25th, 2019, 04:03 PM
https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1085607104407322624

https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1083777114627661824

So used to losing seasons, I'll have to see it to believe it.

SFA 93
January 25th, 2019, 04:08 PM
JaMarkus McFarland (Defensive Tackles Coach) Oklahoma 2012 1st Season

When Coach McFarland came on board it really started to roll on recruiting.

He is a God in Lufkin where he was a high school All-American.

Panther88
January 25th, 2019, 04:22 PM
https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1085607104407322624

https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1083777114627661824

So used to losing seasons, I'll have to see it to believe it.

Errrrrrrr..... how does Sam Houston State respond to this? :D

*phoning 936-261-XXXX to put a buzz in a coach's ear regarding scheduling for 2020* :D

katss07
January 26th, 2019, 01:38 PM
I’m not worried about SFA. As always, they’ll talk the talk. But they never seem to walk the walk. Even in their most successful season this decade (all the way back in 2014) they still got killed by Sam. SFA is all talk and so is this new coach.

SFA 93
January 26th, 2019, 07:07 PM
Can't argue with that.

Like I said I'll believe it when I see it.

BEAR
January 26th, 2019, 09:38 PM
UCA picks up a fourth 3 star recruit! Now I'm really nervous...

lionsrking2
January 26th, 2019, 10:03 PM
UCA picks up a fourth 3 star recruit! Now I'm really nervous...

I would be. It's usually a red flag when kids rated higher than 2-stars fall to an FCS. There's usually a reason.

BEAR
January 27th, 2019, 07:18 AM
I would be. It's usually a red flag when kids rated higher than 2-stars fall to an FCS. There's usually a reason.

That or they just want to go to Hawaii. Most of them are Arkansas kids so it's highly likely they were passed up by big name U because they played at a small school or just knew UCA would give them playing time unlike big U.

lionsrking2
January 27th, 2019, 10:04 AM
That or they just want to go to Hawaii. Most of them are Arkansas kids so it's highly likely they were passed up by big name U because they played at a small school or just knew UCA would give them playing time unlike big U.

Big Name U doesn't pass on players because they're from small schools.

SFA 93
January 27th, 2019, 10:06 AM
And some of these 2 star to no star players that go FCS kill it their first year and realize they are FBS worthy, go JUCO the next season to essentially reopen their recruiting to advance up.

A few examples at SFA

OL: Jimmy Price 6-5; 300 out of the Houston, Texas area, was a 2-star recruit with one offer from SFA, came into summer camp earned a spot as a starter as a true freshman, transfers to Tyler JC the next season, stock goes through the roof to a 3-star #15 OT and #4 in the state and a Top 100 player in the nation in the JUCO ranks.

Got offers from
Tulsa
UAB
FIU
Southern Miss
Arizona State
Washington State
Georgia State
Akron
Massachusetts
New Mexico
New Mexico State
Rice
Missouri State
Sam Houston State
Texas Southern
Eastern Kentucky
Illinois State
Liberty

Just committed to Washington State last night with Leach flying down to close the deal.

others
RB: Loren Easly no stars, SFA offers, stays for 2 seasons, goes to North Texas almost a 100 yards a game.
LB: Jordan Burton 2-star recruit also had 1 offer from SFA out of high school, after 2 seasons starting at SFA and leading the team in tackles goes JUCO and a 3-star #11 S and #12 State rating with Oklahoma State now offering, earned 2015 First Team All-Big 12.

SFA 93
January 27th, 2019, 10:13 AM
We currently have 9 three star recruits either signed or committed and most of them have decommitted from power 5 teams.

We'll see in a week and a half who sticks.

lionsrking2
January 27th, 2019, 10:19 AM
And some of these 2 star to no star players that go FCS kill it their first year and realize they are FBS worthy, go JUCO the next season to essentially reopen their recruiting to advance up.

A few examples at SFA

OL: Jimmy Price 6-5; 300 out of the Houston, Texas area, was a 2-star recruit with one offer from SFA, came into summer camp earned a spot as a starter as a true freshman, transfers to Tyler JC the next season, stock goes through the roof to a 3-star #15 OT and #4 in the state and a Top 100 player in the nation in the JUCO ranks.

Got offers from
Tulsa
UAB
FIU
Southern Miss
Arizona State
Washington State
Georgia State
Akron
Massachusetts
New Mexico
New Mexico State
Rice
Missouri State
Sam Houston State
Texas Southern
Eastern Kentucky
Illinois State
Liberty

Just committed to Washington State last night with Leach flying down to close the deal.

others
RB: Loren Easly no stars, SFA offers, stays for 2 seasons, goes to North Texas almost a 100 yards a game.
LB: Jordan Burton 2-star recruit also had 1 offer from SFA out of high school, after 2 seasons starting at SFA and leading the team in tackles goes JUCO and a 3-star #11 S and #12 State rating and Oklahoma State offers, earned 2015 First Team All-Big 12.

And some stick it out with their original school and go on to fulfill their dreams of getting a degree and moving on to the NFL.

lionsrking2
January 27th, 2019, 10:22 AM
We currently have 9 three star recruits either signed or committed and most of them have decommitted from power 5 teams.

We'll see in a week and a half who sticks.

You guys need to be in the SEC. At least the American.

SFA 93
January 27th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Needless to say the SFA football program has been in such a mess and has really tanked to the bottom, so IMO Carthel couldn't do much worse.

2012: 5-6-0 J.C. Harper
2013: 3-9-0 J.C. Harper
2014: 8-5-0 Clint Conque
2015: 4-7-0 Clint Conque
2016: 5-6-0 Clint Conque
2017: 4-7-0 Clint Conque
2018: 2-7-0 Jeff Byrd
2019: 0-0-0 Colby Carthel

One winning season in the last 7 years.

Now onto our 4th Head Coach and 6th OC in 8 seasons.

Mass exodus of the roster as well, losing our entire starting offensive line and others.

But with our offensive line being our weakest link for the last couple of seasons, that might not be such a bad thing lol.

Reset with this bunch for 2019 and OL Coach Nathan Young (ACU 2007) (We had OL Coach Brian Natkin on board but he was hired away by the Arizona Cardinals when Kingsbury took over.)

OL: Zach Ingram 6-7; 275 Independence, Mo. (Ft. Osage/Butler CC) *** #106 Nation; #16 OT; #27 St
Offers from SFA, Illinois State, Missouri State, Valdosta State, Texas A&M-Commerce, Miss. Valley State, Southeast Missouri
OL: Caiden Walker 6-4; 300 Newton, Texas (Newton) *** #22 OC; #7 OC State
Offers from SFA, Louisiana Tech, Lamar, Memphis, Northwestern State, McNeese State, Tulane, UTEP, Louisiana-Monroe
OL: Jaret Porterfield 6-4; 310 Pearland, Texas (Pearland) *** #130 OG
Offers from SFA, Vanderbilt, Bowling Green, Air Force, Texas State, Houston Baptist, Georgia State, UTSA
OL: Jade Ashalintubbi 6-6; 300 Elysian Fields (Elysian Fields) *** #168 OT
Offers from SFA, Tulsa, SMU, Arkansas State, Lamar, Northwestern State, Houston Baptist, Louisiana-Monroe
OL: Jeremiah Byers 6-6; 290 Austin, Texas (Anderson)
Offers from SFA, UTEP, Abilene Christian, UIW, Howard, Grambling State, Prairie View A&M, West Texas A&M, Southern Univ., Kilgore College
OL: Jawaun Singletary 6-2; 280 Houston, Texas (Westfield)
Offers from SFA, McNeese State, Southern Univ., Henderson State
OL: Stephen Fulenchek III 6-6; 300 Denison, Texas (Denison) (PWO)
Offers from New Mexico Highlands, Austin College, Texas Wesleyan, East Central, Wayland Baptist
OL: Kendall Major 6-3; 305 Beaumont, Texas (Westbrook/Kilgore College) (PWO)
Offers from SW Oklahoma State, Shaw University

BEAR
January 27th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Big Name U doesn't pass on players because they're from small schools.

They do if they are from a state that only produced about 10 division I FBS level players a year. Small school Arkansas kids go FCS. They just typically miss a measurement by an inch or some stupid thing like that. But it happens all the time in this state. Coaches begging schools just to come out and look at a kid. xlolx

lionsrking2
January 27th, 2019, 12:26 PM
They do if they are from a state that only produced about 10 division I FBS level players a year. Small school Arkansas kids go FCS. They just typically miss a measurement by an inch or some stupid thing like that. But it happens all the time in this state. Coaches begging schools just to come out and look at a kid. xlolx

That has more to do with the player not fitting a standard, has nothing to do with the size of school they come from. LSU's two best defensive players went to high schools with less than 500 kids ... both will go in the top 10 picks in the NFL draft. Alabama has a starting DB from a high school with less than 200.

BEAR
January 27th, 2019, 02:18 PM
That has more to do with the player not fitting a standard, has nothing to do with the size of school they come from. LSU's two best defensive players went to high schools with less than 500 kids ... both will go in the top 10 picks in the NFL draft. Alabama has a starting DB from a high school with less than 200.

You disagree. Shocking. It's like I haven't followed high school football in this state for 40 years. But you're right...lets just go with that. xcoffeex

Outsider1
January 27th, 2019, 05:29 PM
So far, this should be our most up to date commits. We expect maybe 1-2 more. Dorrel has been very deliberate in targeting key areas with key players. I ike multi-star recruits, but I am more interested in the kid and what he does on and off the field. The players have been continuing to work out hard and participating in voluntary drills. I can't wait for official Spring practices to start. I will be missing some of them while overseas visiting my family, but will catch as many as I can. Our new DB coach should be in the midst of moving and hopefully meeting players. We had several commits in the last few days. I am still anxious to see who will fill the Defensive Coordinator role. I think 2019 will be a VERY interesting season for the SLC.

Commits:

QB Andrew Stripling, 6'5 185, Marble Falls

RB Jessie Anderson, 6'0 225, Longview

RB TJ Tumbleson, 5'8 220, Iowa Central

WR Caleb Durham-Honer, 5'10 175, San Antonio Christian

WR Lionell McConnell, 5'11 195 Liberty University

WR Justus Lee, 5'10 190, Fullerton College

WR Devin Davis, 6'4 185, Mesquite

WR Jostein Clarke, 6'3 178, Prosper

TE Paxton Bergdoll, 6'6 245, Arizona Western

TE Will Morgan, 6'3 250, Forney

TE Branden Hohenstein, 6'4 225, Nebraska

OL Tanner Parker, 6'5 300, Snow College

OL Zach Terry, 6'6 305, Coffeyville

OL Zachary Branner, 6'5 321, Troy University

OL Cody Anthony, 6'6 260, North Lamar

OL Wyatt Tate, 6’6 305, Navarro

DT Michael Gayden, 6'2 265, Blinn JUCO

DT Lakendrick Jones, 6'2 260 Mississippi Gulf Coast JUCO

DL Bright Ihegworo, 6'1 285, Angelo State

DE Osaretin Obadeyi, 6'3 230, Mesquite

LB Hunter Kier, 5'11, 215, Butler CC

LB James Neal, 6'0 190, Paris

LB Darryl Minor Jr., 6'1 205, Corinth

CB Ryan Stapp, 5'11 178, College Station

SFA 93
January 27th, 2019, 08:20 PM
More commitments over the weekend

TE: Chad Aune 6-5; 220 Denton, Texas (Guyer)
Offer from SFA

OL: Keegan Holm 6-6; 280 San Antonio, Texas (Antonian Prep.)
Offers from SFA, UIW, Southwestern

LB: Brevin Randle 6-1; 220 Marshall, Texas (Marshall)
Offers from SFA, Texas A&M Commerce

RB: JaQuarion Turner 6-1; 205 Garland, Texas (South) *** #168 RB
Offers from SFA, Montana, McNeese State, Houston Baptist, Missouri State, Texas A&M Commerce, Angelo State, UT-Permian Basin

SFA 93
January 27th, 2019, 08:58 PM
https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/status/1089683736562728966

clenz
January 27th, 2019, 09:25 PM
After early signing period, if a decent QB hasn't gotten an offer and committed to an FBS school yet, they are likely not getting an offer. I think he's sticking with you.UNI had an offer in on him but had already signed a kid with an ACC offer in December that enrolled at semester

Bowers was an interesting look at for recrutiment reasons.

I know nothing of Arkansas football, or the competition he faced, bit given his numbers there had to be a reason the bigger schools weren't after him and it was all FCS schools.

In 2 years as a starter he had thrown for like 6000 yards with something like 50 td and 10 int.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

McNeese72
January 28th, 2019, 09:41 AM
McNeese update: We got a few more comittments. If they sign, I will let you know in 4 or 5 years if they were any good. ;)

Doc

BEAR
January 28th, 2019, 10:07 AM
https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/status/1089683736562728966

Interesting. UCA picked up a 5th 3 star recruit. Recruiting is going well for the SLC it appears. Glad to hear that!

lionsrking2
January 28th, 2019, 01:41 PM
FYI, for what it's worth: I took a look at the 2018 All Southland Conference 1st and 2nd teams. Using 247 as the system of choice (that's what Hero uses), of the 50 players on the list, there were only two who were rated three stars or better, signed by an SLC team out of high school (Grant Burguillos and Zyon McCollum) ... B.J. Blunt was a 3-star in high school but went the JC route.

There are six on the list who were rated 2 stars and signed by an SLC team out of high school (Fourcade, Chris Terrell, Cody Ennis, Nathan Stewart, Daniel Crosley, Eric Jackson).

There are three 4-star FBS transfers (Erick Fowler, Derick Roberson, Jazz Ferguson), two 3-star FBS transfers (Devonte Williams, Billy McCrary) and one 2-star FBS transfer (Bill Weber).

The remaining 33 players received no stars at any point, either out of high school or JC.

When I get a chance, I'll dig back a few more years.

Daytripper
January 28th, 2019, 03:41 PM
FYI, for what it's worth: I took a look at the 2018 All Southland Conference 1st and 2nd teams. Using 247 as the system of choice (that's what Hero uses), of the 50 players on the list, there were only two who were rated three stars or better, signed by an SLC team out of high school (Grant Burguillos and Zyon McCollum) ... B.J. Blunt was a 3-star in high school but went the JC route.

There are six on the list who were rated 2 stars and signed by an SLC team out of high school (Fourcade, Chris Terrell, Cody Ennis, Nathan Stewart, Daniel Crosley, Eric Jackson).

There are three 4-star FBS transfers (Erick Fowler, Derick Roberson, Jazz Ferguson), two 3-star FBS transfers (Devonte Williams, Billy McCrary) and one 2-star FBS transfer (Bill Weber).

The remaining 33 players received no stars at any point, either out of high school or JC.

When I get a chance, I'll dig back a few more years.

Good info. Thanks!

FWIW, that Billy McCrary scares the **** out of me.

Outsider1
January 28th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Good info. Thanks!

FWIW, that Billy McCrary scares the **** out of me.

Billy was a really nice surprise for us. I hope some of our new recruits can do similar things. I think our biggest RB newcomer will be Anderson from Longview. He is more of a powerback though. By the end of the season Billy didn't have quite the speed and maneuverability. I think he had an ankle issue. I will be watching him this Spring.

An interesting update for us today was the announcement of a new associate Director of Athletics (Deputy AD). We knew for a few days that Dave Kinard was out but nothing beyond that. We still don't know the how/why but we do have the replacement news. Our new AD, from Murray, is bringing in a familiar face....

https://acusports.com/news/2019/1/28/general-steve-harrell-joins-acu-athletics-as-deputy-ad.aspx

SFA 93
January 28th, 2019, 04:29 PM
Picked up our 7th 3-star recruit

I know, I get it, the stars don't mean nothing, we hear this every year. So Roger that!

But hey its off season and it's something to watch while we wait for the season to start.

SFA 93
January 28th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Offers from SFA, Montana, McNeese State, Houston Baptist, Missouri State, Texas A&M Commerce, Angelo State, UT-Permian Basin

IMO this is our top recruit

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AJwum

Outsider1
January 28th, 2019, 07:22 PM
Picked up our 7th 3-star recruit

I know, I get it, the stars don't mean nothing, we hear this every year. So Roger that!

But hey its off season and it's something to watch while we wait for the season to start.

Right now would settle for being able to watch some good 'ol spring practice......

lionsrking2
January 29th, 2019, 12:39 AM

IMO this is our top recruit

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AJwum

Solid

SFA 93
January 29th, 2019, 06:46 AM
4 going to the SLC

https://herosports.com/fcs/recruiting-2019-top-defensive-linemen-commitments-ajaj

McNeese72
January 30th, 2019, 07:49 AM
McNeese news: We got some more commitments this week. Are they any good? I have no clue. We aren't even on the radar of any of the recruiting websites. ;)

Doc

Outsider1
January 30th, 2019, 08:16 AM
McNeese news: We got some more commitments this week. Are they any good? I have no clue. We aren't even on the radar of any of the recruiting websites. ;)

Doc

We need to fix that radar Doc :D

lionsrking2
January 30th, 2019, 12:15 PM
We aren't even on the radar of any of the recruiting websites. ;)

Doc

History suggests it's best that way. As you know, the famous ones usually slip through for a reason. xeyebrowx

McNeese72
January 30th, 2019, 01:35 PM
History suggests it's best that way. As you know, the famous ones usually slip through for a reason. xeyebrowx

It is definitely harder to sneak sleepers through now days than it used to be. There are no Buford Jourdan's, Stephan Starrings, Leonard Smith's, etc hiding out there without being seen like there used to be.

lionsrking2
January 30th, 2019, 01:49 PM
It is definitely harder to sneak sleepers through now days than it used to be. There are no Buford Jourdan's, Stephan Starrings, Leonard Smith's, etc hiding out there without being seen like there used to be.

There aren't as many, that's for sure, but they're still out there. Sometimes hiding in plain sight. Maybe an inch or two short, a few pounds light, or the right staff with some creativity takes a chance on a position change. We have two relatively recent examples playing in the NFL (Robert Alford & Harlan Miller). Regardless, there are a lot more guys not on the recruiting site lists -- or not highly rated -- make all-conference teams than kids who were.

BEAR
January 30th, 2019, 02:47 PM

Iowa is still looking to add a few more pieces to its 2019 class. The latest prospect the Hawkeyes visited is Bishop Dunne (TX) 2019 safety Nick Nakwaasah who has committed to Central Arkansas....

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Article/Iowa-football-recruiting-Nick-Nakwaasah-hawkeyes--128481427/

Here we go...... :(

lionsrking2
January 30th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Iowa is still looking to add a few more pieces to its 2019 class. The latest prospect the Hawkeyes visited is Bishop Dunne (TX) 2019 safety Nick Nakwaasah who has committed to Central Arkansas....

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Article/Iowa-football-recruiting-Nick-Nakwaasah-hawkeyes--128481427/

Here we go...... :(

It's that time of year ... glad we finished our class (most of it) in December. Good chance we could have lost a few.

Daytripper
January 30th, 2019, 04:02 PM
There aren't as many, that's for sure, but they're still out there. Sometimes hiding in plain sight. Maybe an inch or two short, a few pounds light, or the right staff with some creativity takes a chance on a position change. We have two relatively recent examples playing in the NFL (Robert Alford & Harlan Miller). Regardless, there are a lot more guys not on the recruiting site lists -- or not highly rated -- make all-conference teams than kids who were.

Sometimes you have to think creatively and see something others don't. P.J. Hall was originally recruited to Sam as a tight end. They saw potential as a defensive lineman and converted him.....

lionsrking2
January 30th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Sometimes you have to think creatively and see something others don't. P.J. Hall was originally recruited to Sam as a tight end. They saw potential as a defensive lineman and converted him.....

Hall is an excellent example! Robert Alford played WR in high school. Harlan Miller was a QB. SFA has the Franklin kid playing in the Super Bowl, he wasn't highly recruited. George Odum from UCA wasn't either, now with the Colts.

clenz
January 30th, 2019, 04:55 PM

Here we go...... :(Grabbed an OL from us just now

katstrapper
February 1st, 2019, 08:30 AM
Current Commits.....

RB/ DB Braden Clopton (High School)
OL Jalen North (High School)
DL Jevon Leon (High School)
DB Rance McInnis (High School)
WR Tony Williams (Transfer Trinity Valley CC)
DL Trace Mascorro (Transfer from UTEP -2 year starter on Def line.)
RB Toneil Carter (Transfer Univ of Texas)
WR. Harrison Smith. (High aschool)
QB. Jack Kristofek. (High School)
WR. Derrick Rose. (High School)
WR/DB. Emmonte Davis. (High School)
DB. Drew Rawls. (High School)

More to come....

Outsider1
February 1st, 2019, 08:42 AM
Right now everything is pretty quiet in our corner, except for some teaser tweets every now and then about guys preparing for Spring..... At least we finally have a relative men's BB team again that is helping to keep fan-base excited. xsmiley_wix

Catatonic
February 1st, 2019, 09:14 AM
Right now everything is pretty quiet in our corner, except for some teaser tweets every now and then about guys preparing for Spring..... At least we finally have a relative men's BB team again that is helping to keep fan-base excited. xsmiley_wix

Im worried that our staff turnover has hurt our recruiting. Jackson recruited Houston and Brown’s area was Oklahoma.

Outsider1
February 1st, 2019, 10:51 AM
Im worried that our staff turnover has hurt our recruiting. Jackson recruited Houston and Brown’s area was Oklahoma.

I am a bit worried as well. Several of our regular posters don't seem overly concerned on the surface and this could be "par for the course" turnover without much hiccup. I don't know how they feel off our board. I am putting my trust in Dorrel that the people he chooses will have the recruiting connections and skills we continue to need. Several schools in the SLC have upped their recruiting. We have as well, but the race is definitely on. Right now I am glad we have most of our recruiting done for this year. I am kinda in watch and see mode as I can't do much else.

SFA 93
February 1st, 2019, 01:57 PM
HERO Sports SLC Recruiting

https://herosports.com/fcs/recruiting-2019-football-southland-conference-ajaj

Outsider1
February 1st, 2019, 03:25 PM

Thanks '93, gonna share this one.

McNeese72
February 2nd, 2019, 05:38 PM

"Oh, no!! We suck again!!!!"

Doc

katss07
February 2nd, 2019, 11:19 PM
Lookz like y’all can’t even talk about basketball anymore!

SFA 93
February 3rd, 2019, 06:21 PM
https://twitter.com/CoachCSFA/status/1092214848644104194

McNeese75
February 3rd, 2019, 10:08 PM

Pretty sketchyl considering all he is using are players listed offers and not including Juco transfers. Irregardless, we understand SFA and UCA have really good classes coming in.

BEAR
February 4th, 2019, 09:04 AM
One of our 3 star commits (Jan 12) that I thought Iowa may sneak in and steal (and they still could) has posted he's solidly committed on his twitter account (Feb 2). #drytheinkplz He's a perfect fit for that position and the program. Glad to have him!

https://twitter.com/NNakwaasah/status/1091757071949877249

Funny side story: The QB for his high school committed to SFA: That means Nick could intercept his H.S. QBs passes. xlolx

https://twitter.com/PeytonCulberson/status/1091909243257667591

BEAR
February 4th, 2019, 10:17 AM
I was looking at the SLC football team's schedule and noticed SHSU has Oklahoma Panhandle (NAIA) on their schedule. Lamar has Bethel Univ. (NAIA). I haven't look at everyone's schedule yet so there may be more. Do we think its more important to get wins or earn an extra paycheck? I ask that because some SLC teams have 2 FBS schools on their schedule and appear to be writing off next year's playoff chances early. xlolx

McNeese72
February 4th, 2019, 10:23 AM
I was looking at the SLC football team's schedule and noticed SHSU has Oklahoma Panhandle (NAIA) on their schedule. Lamar has Bethel Univ. (NAIA). I haven't look at everyone's schedule yet so there may be more. Do we think its more important to get wins or earn an extra paycheck? I ask that because some SLC teams have 2 FBS schools on their schedule and appear to be writing off next year's playoff chances early. xlolx

If you have a decent crowd, those extra home games are not only a win but also a paycheck.

Doc

Daytripper
February 4th, 2019, 11:40 AM

Under Fritz, Sam always played a money game versus FCS...usually a Big 12 team. Keeler doesn't seem to like those games as much. The New Mexico game this year is the leftover from a cancelled game a few years back that I believe was negotiated by Fritz. As for the NAIA game, I would much rather play a DII or other FCS...*except CSU-Pueblo*...xsmhx

lionsrking2
February 4th, 2019, 12:06 PM

The first order of importance is to balance the budget, and to make sure you have at least five home games. It's not easy to do. Some years it means multiple FBS games and some years it means playing a non D-I opponent. If things fall right, you can workout a playoff friendly schedule with home-and-homes vs solid FCS programs and an FBS you can bus to as a bonus.

lionsrking2
February 4th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Pretty sketchyl considering all he is using are players listed offers and not including Juco transfers. Irregardless, we understand SFA and UCA have really good classes coming in.

I admire any effort which gives attention to FCS recruiting -- and Hero should be commended for it -- but folks who heavily follow recruiting, know coaches in the industry, understand how 247 and other services work, and know the landscape of the Southland Conference recruiting footprint, understand there are some wild inaccuracies in these lists. Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Outsider1
February 4th, 2019, 02:56 PM

He could have been more comprehensive in his scoring measurements, but it did give at least one quick look. At least it helps me think about what coaches may be looking for in prospects if they are looking beyond star rankings or offers. I know Dorrel is wanting to fulfill specific spots with specific types of players. How successful that ends up being in the SLC, and beyond, is site unseen. I have been told some of our recruits ranked hire than some on this list but may not have had as many offers. I haven't verified anything. I am always amused at Doc's comments. I feel the day McNeese sucks is a day the SLC needs dissolved. McNeese is too good a program to suck, even if they have some more successful seasons than others.....

Outsider1
February 4th, 2019, 02:59 PM
The list gives us something to fill the off-season with anyway....

BEAR
February 4th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Hey Bearkats, did you guys have a Azuka Mgbemena a couple of years ago? We have one that we offered and he committed today. Is it the same guy? xeyebrowx

https://twitter.com/BearkatsFB/status/826813158044160002

McNeese75
February 4th, 2019, 04:55 PM
I admire any effort which gives attention to FCS recruiting -- and Hero should be commended for it -- but folks who heavily follow recruiting, know coaches in the industry, understand how 247 and other services work, and know the landscape of the Southland Conference recruiting footprint, understand there are some wild inaccuracies in these lists. Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I do agree that some news is better than no news xnodx

McNeese72
February 5th, 2019, 08:18 AM
He could have been more comprehensive in his scoring measurements, but it did give at least one quick look. At least it helps me think about what coaches may be looking for in prospects if they are looking beyond star rankings or offers. I know Dorrel is wanting to fulfill specific spots with specific types of players. How successful that ends up being in the SLC, and beyond, is site unseen. I have been told some of our recruits ranked hire than some on this list but may not have had as many offers. I haven't verified anything. I am always amused at Doc's comments. I feel the day McNeese sucks is a day the SLC needs dissolved. McNeese is too good a program to suck, even if they have some more successful seasons than others.....

But we do suck! Hardly any of our recruits are showing up on these recruiting lists. ;) ;)

Doc

McNeese72
February 5th, 2019, 08:20 AM
Of course, I will say what I say every year. The time to evaluate a recruiting class is five years from now, not now. See who is still around and who contributed to the program.

Doc

BEAR
February 5th, 2019, 08:37 AM
UCA picks up a 6th three star recruit...

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/1/197/8197001.jpg?width=70
WR
Tyler Hudson (https://247sports.com/player/tyler-hudson-46040716)
Klein Oak (Spring, TX)
6-2 / 175
NA (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol) 167 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&Position=WR) 186 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&State=TX)

Commit 1/27/2019

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/294/310/5310294.jpg?width=70
DT
Julian Hawkins (https://247sports.com/player/julian-hawkins-46041115)
Lake Cormorant (Lake Cormorant, MS)
6-3 / 280
NA (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol) 105 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&Position=DT) 47 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&State=MS)

Commit 2/4/2019

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/294/385/8385294.jpg?width=70
ATH
Derrick Wise II (https://247sports.com/player/derrick-wise-ii-46040460)
Northside (Fort Smith, AR)
5-10 / 182
NA (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol) 169 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&Position=ATH) 14 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&State=AR)

Commit 1/26/2019

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/232/341/8341232.jpg?width=70
DUAL QB
Darius Bowers (https://247sports.com/player/darius-bowers-46052146)
Fayetteville (Fayetteville, AR)
6-1 / 180
NA (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol) 56 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&Position=DUAL) 20 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&State=AR)

Commit 1/23/2019

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/764/334/5334764.jpg?width=70
ILB
Darin Davenport (https://247sports.com/player/darin-davenport-46040722)
Southside (Fort Smith, AR)
6-1 / 220
NA (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol) 103 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&Position=ILB) 23 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&State=AR)

Commit 1/24/2019

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/652/796/8796652.jpg?width=70
Safety
Nicholas Nakwaasah (https://247sports.com/player/nicholas-nakwaasah-46076608)
Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX)
6-0 / 190
NA (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol) 204 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&Position=S) 368 (https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highscho ol&State=TX)

Commit 1/12/2019

Outsider1
February 5th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Of course, I will say what I say every year. The time to evaluate a recruiting class is five years from now, not now. See who is still around and who contributed to the program.

Doc

+100

With the attrition of some of our players I really get frustrated. I understand wanting to play. I understand the price of school when you don't have a scholarship. I understand conflicts. Still, I tend to have greater respect for those kids who stick around no matter what and give everything they have over the long run. Some player's impacts will never be seen publicly or on the field. Other players have immediate impact on the field. Nonetheless, stable programs tend to be the more successful ones. Some of our players may be ready to contribute on the field, but weren't ready academically or socially. This particular Hero Sports blog would be more interesting as part of a small series comparing recruiting based on different criteria and longer term impact.

Outsider1
February 5th, 2019, 08:50 AM
I think our recruiting is done for the most part. We have gotten a couple of cool PWOs this week. We gave a PWO to this kid below, but hopefully we are offering him more than that. He can play both sides of the ball effectively, and : run, pass, catch...

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/high_school/high_school_football/article/Falls-City-QB-Keyshawn-Johnson-makes-name-for-13461136.php

SFA 93
February 5th, 2019, 11:06 AM
11 Three Star for SFA

S: Myles Brooks 6-2; 190 Pflugerville, Texas (Hendrickson) *** #54 S; #82 State
Offers from SFA, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Baylor, Colorado State, SMU, FIU, Louisiana Tech, Texas State

DT: Carl Williams 6-4; 310 Lufkin, Texas (Lufkin) *** #60 DT; #113 State; #3 ETSN.com Top 25
Offers from SFA, Oklahoma, TCU, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Southern Mississippi, Ole Miss, SMU, Minnesota, UTSA, Kansas, Houston, Tulsa

OL: Zach Ingram 6-7; 275 Independence, Mo. (Ft. Osage/Butler CC) *** #106 Nation; #16 OT; #27 St
Offers from SFA, Illinois State, Missouri State, Valdosta State, Texas A&M-Commerce, Miss. Valley State, Southeast Missouri

OL: Caiden Walker 6-4; 300 Newton, Texas (Newton) *** #22 OC; #7 OC State
Offers from SFA, Louisiana Tech, Lamar, Memphis, Northwestern State, McNeese State, Tulane, UTEP, Louisiana-Monroe

TE: Josh Weeks 6-4; 245 Show Low, Arizona (Show Low/BYU/UTEP) *** #84 WR; #12 State
Offers from SFA, Florida A&M, Northern Arizona

OL: Jaret Porterfield 6-4; 310 Pearland, Texas (Pearland) *** #130 OG
Offers from SFA, Vanderbilt, Bowling Green, Air Force, Texas State, Houston Baptist, Georgia State, UTSA

LB: Gerard McKnight 6-3; 210 Cypress, Texas (Cy Ranch) *** #138 OLB
Offers from SFA, Prairie View A&M, New Mexico, UTSA, Texas A&M – Commerce, Houston Baptist, Texas Southern, Texas State

DE: Marcus Mosley Jr. 6-3; 238 Duncanville, Texas (Duncanville) *** #108 WDE
Offers from SFA, Army, Sam Houston State, UTSA, Colorado State, Rice, New Mexico State, Texas State, Air Force, Jackson State, Louisiana, Bowling Green, Arkansas State, Central Arkansas, McNeese State

S: LaCoryien Washington 6-1; 205 Arlington, Texas (Mansfield Summit) *** #169 S
Offers from SFA, Alabama A&M, Lamar, New Mexico State

DE: Rason Williams II 6-4; 240 Houston, Texas (Alief Elsik) *** #127 SDE
Offers from SFA, Houston, Rice, Lamar, Houston Baptist

BEAR
February 5th, 2019, 12:09 PM
11 Three Star for SFA

Those hard commits? How many do you think will sign? Nice job SFA! xbowx

FormerPokeCenter
February 5th, 2019, 12:31 PM
"Oh, no!! We suck again!!!!"

Doc

I know, right? The LaFleur kid's hardly worth mentioning. I mean, I could understand him being ranked if he had a great bloodline or came from a family with a football history or something....but, c'mon, the kid's from SULPHUR...what the hell's he doing on that list?? ;)

SFA 93
February 5th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Yes hard commits, SFA already has their signing pics ready to tweet out tomorrow. lol

BEAR
February 5th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Yes hard commits, SFA already has their signing pics ready to tweet out tomorrow. lol

Wait. What is SFA offering these kids? T'Shirts with this on it? xlolx

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.68123793.7672/fc,550x550,white_black.u2.jpg

SFA 93
February 5th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Got these guys as well

QB: Lawton Rikel 6-2; 170 Canyon, Texas (Canyon) ** #117 QB
Offers from SFA, Air Force, West Texas A&M, Navarro College, Southern Nazarene

RB: Myles Heard 6-0; 190 Sugar Land, Texas (Dulles) **
Offers from SFA, Air Force, Army, UIW, Illinois State, Lamar

RB: Sanders Crawford IV 5-10; 185 Katy, Texas (Cinco Ranch) **
Offers from SFA, UIW, Air Force, Houston Baptist

DE: Hayden Brockenbush 6-5; 220 Lake Dallas, Texas (Lake Dallas) **
Offers from SFA, Angelo State, William & Mary, Air Force, Missouri State, UIW, Northwestern State, Arkansas Tech

CB: Willie Roberts II 5-10; 175 Arlington, Texas (Martin) **
Offers from SFA, Rice, Navy, Air Force, Bucknell, Holy Cross, UIW, Lamar

CB: Zach Nwachukwu 5-9; 184 Plano, Texas (East) **
Offers from SFA, Mississippi Valley State, Arkansas Tech, East Central, SW Oklahoma State

CB: Bruce Harmon 6-0; 175 Rockwall, Texas (Rockwall-Heath) **
Offers from SFA, Navy, Air Force, UIW, Missouri State, Lamar, Henderson State, Midwestern State, Texas A&M-Commerce

K: Dylan Brown 5-8; 180 Mesquite, Texas (Poteet)
Offers from SFA, Sam Houston State, Navarro College, PWO at Baylor

P: Harris Charalambos Pashas 5-11; 200 Houston, Texas (Eisenhower/Blinn College) #1 JUCO Punter (NKR National Rankings)
Offer from SFA

SFA 93
February 5th, 2019, 04:36 PM
There is a party :)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DymbaaQUYAAM-Lr.jpg

SpreadTheWord
February 5th, 2019, 06:02 PM

Sweet, UIW has a top 15 recruit aaaaaaaaaand he's gone...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30022&stc=1

BEAR
February 6th, 2019, 08:35 AM
So far we've got signed 13 of the 21 listed on 247sports. It's early...

McNeese72
February 6th, 2019, 08:38 AM
We signed 8 in the early signing period. So far today, we have only signed one of 10 verbals (that we know about).

Doc

BEAR
February 6th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Let me correct my statement then. We signed 8 in the early signing period. We have now signed 14 of the 21 verbals.

lionsrking2
February 6th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Southeastern Louisiana already had 27 signed during the early period. Three more expected to sign today and holding a spot or two for FBS transfers after the spring.

BEAR
February 6th, 2019, 09:06 AM
That's right! I forgot about our transfers since we haven't been taking many.

8 community college/SEC/Small school transfers
8 H.S. kids on early signing day
14 so far on national signing day.

I reviewed the twitter accounts and looked for news on the 7 we have left to sign. All but one have been solid on their intent to sign. We might lose one to Memphis.

Edit: We lost one to Memphis: Starling had previously committed to Central Arkansas. He said he couldn't pass up a chance to play at Memphis, a member of the American Athletic Conference.
He's taking a PWO with Mike Norvell at Memphis.

McNeese72
February 6th, 2019, 09:29 AM
We signed 8 in the early signing period. So far today, we have only signed one of 10 verbals (that we know about).

Doc

Make it two now. If they are any good, who knows??

Daytripper
February 6th, 2019, 09:37 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyuX748VsAYCciE.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyubJDaU0AEePUw.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dyud2q-UYAAzJUO.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyufeT0UYAAkdPx.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyuhaupVAAA3AVM.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyuiGmHU8Agd_F3.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyujK1vU8AACtVN.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dyujr00U8AIuMLC.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyulA-fV4AA3xCF.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyuoZeiVAAEkEJL.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyuqJVhU0AYviYu.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dyur8F1UUAAdCDn.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyuvhPcU0AAKJtU.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dyu3bsFVAAA5ryU.jpg

lionsrking2
February 6th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Make it two now. If they are any good, who knows??

The tape looks good especially the tight end.

lionsrking2
February 6th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Lions officially add Ed Magee, 6'1, 180, WR, Kentwood HS, Kentwood, La. He's been committed since the fall but wanted to wait to sign. Good local player ... nice to have another Kentwood Kangaroo on board!

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AgcMm

SFA 93
February 6th, 2019, 10:55 AM
26 in so far for SFA

13 of those are 3-star and 7 are 2-star

McNeese75
February 6th, 2019, 11:11 AM
26 in so far for SFA

13 of those are 3-star and 7 are 2-star

LOL, y'all are really hung up on those stars

lionsrking2
February 6th, 2019, 11:14 AM

The Don King Award resides in Nac, on lockdown. xdrunkyx

McNeese72
February 6th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Up to four signed today. A TE, 2 OL, and a WR.

Edit: Don't know if they have any stars or not. ;)

Doc

lionsrking2
February 6th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Up to four signed today. A TE, 2 OL, and a WR.

Doc

OL look good!

McNeese72
February 6th, 2019, 11:38 AM
OL look good!

And we definitely need them. That was our problem the last two seasons.

Doc

Daytripper
February 6th, 2019, 11:44 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyvQJbKUwAAQS7y.jpg

Daytripper
February 6th, 2019, 11:45 AM

Yeah. They have to focus on stars because that can't really brag about wins.

FormerPokeCenter
February 6th, 2019, 11:46 AM
I'm reminded of Doug Ireland's floridly prosaic descriptions of the Northwestern recruits about 10 years ago. NSU won the national recruiting wars like three years in a row. There were a whole galaxy of recruiting stars...

Unfortunately, that didn't translate well into the real world of the SLC.

Maybe SFA will fare better???

McNeese72
February 6th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Another OL signed.

https://twitter.com/DianeZelezinski/status/1093193702460207104

Doc

McNeese72
February 6th, 2019, 12:01 PM
We signed that RB out of Florida, Carlos Williams. Don't know how good he is but Zem liked him.

Doc

McNeese72
February 6th, 2019, 01:32 PM
For what it is worth, here is McNeese's final signee list:

Davion Curtis • WR • 6-0 • 180 • Temple, Texas • Temple HS • Tyler JC (Early Signee)
Signed with the University of Texas out of high school in 2016… played in one game as a redshirt freshman for the Longhorns in 2017… at Tyler JC, caught 50 passes for 1,000 yards and 15 TDs… at Temple HS, earned all-state and all-district honors… chosen to the 2015 Super Team and as one of 2016 Texas’ Best by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football… ranked the No. 5 recruit on the Centex 25 and picked a Top 100 prospect in Texas by the Waco Tribune… ranked No. 94 WR national and No. 83 overall in Texas by ESPN… also played basketball and competed in track and field.

Kody Fulp • LB • 6-2 • 235 • China Spring, Texas • China Spring HS • Navarro JC
(Early Signee)
Led Navarro College with 71 total tackles as a redshirt freshman in 2018, which also ranked him 10th in Region XIV… ranked second in the conference and ninth in the region with five sacks, three of those coming in the Salt City Bowl against Hutchinson CC… will have three years to play for the Cowboys.

Earenest Grayson III • DE • 6-3 • 230 • Tulsa, Oklahoma • Jenks HS
District 6AI-1 All-District… Tulsa World All-State Honorable Mention… 4-time defensive player of the game… 51 tackles, 8 sacks, 11 tackles for a loss… 33 solo tackles… offered by Texas State, Missouri State, Eastern Illinois, Pittsburgh State, Central Oklahoma, Houston Baptist… drew interest from Arkansas and Tulsa.

Anthony Johnson • ATH • 5-11 • 180 • Lake Charles, La. • LaGrange HS (Early Signee)
All-district honorable mention honors… scored 14 touchdowns his senior season.

Eli Johnson • DB • 6-0 • 190 • Baton Rouge, La. • Live Oak HS (Early Signee)
1st team 4-5A All-District and All-Parish… honorable mention all-state… 47 tackles with 2 interceptions, one sack, four tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries… as a junior, recorded 100 tackles with seven pass break-ups, 11 TFLs and an interception.

Jake LaFleur • LB • 6-3 • 210 • Sulphur, La. • Sulphur HS (Early Signee)
Earned all-district and all-academic honors… all-SWLA team… recorded 162 tackles, 103 solos, as a senior with four tackles for a loss, four quarterback hurries, forced two fumbles and recovered one.

Josh Morgan • CB • 5-10 • 175 • San Antonio, Texas • Roosevelt HS • Navarro JC
(Early Signee)
All-Southwest JC Football Conference honors as a defensive back for Navarro in 2018… ranked second on the team with 60 total tackles while leading the squad with 12 pass break-ups… recorded two tackles for a loss and picked off one pass… had a season-high 10 tackles against Blinn and four pass break-ups versus Cisco.

Mason Pierce • WR • 5-9 • 160 • Pearland, Texas • Pearland Dawson HS
District 23-6A All-Purpose Player of the Year… 1st team all-district at wide receiver and all-purpose… 54 catches for 765 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Carlos Scott • LB • 6-1 • 235 • Houston, Texas • Dulles HS • Navarro JC (Early Signee)
Ranked fourth on the team in 2018 with 50 total tackles to go along with three tackles for a loss… playing in nine of the 11 games on the season, he recorded a season-high 11 tackles, nine of those solos, in a win over Trinity Valley.

Hayden Shaw • OL • 6-3 • 285 • Glen Rose, Texas • Glen Rose HS
1st team all-district… district lineman of the year… Texas Class 4A state quarterfinalist.

Markquell Stewart • WR • 6-0 • 175 • Gonzales, La. • East Ascension HS
2nd team all-district honors… Played for former McNeese Cowboy Darnell Lee.

Damarcus Thomas • OL • 6-3 • 290 • Houston, Texas • Galena Park North Shore HS
1st team all-district… played for the Texas 6A state champion North Shore HS.

Kaleb Wenson • DT • 6-2 • 255 • Austin, Texas • Lake Travis HS
As a junior at Lake Travis, earned 1st team All-District 6A while helping lead his team to a 15-1 record and a state runner up spot… Began his HS career at Cambridge HS in Georgia and was rated the #60 player… in 2016, voted to the All-American USA Bowl representing Georgia as a middle linebacker… offered by Air Force, UTEP, Houston Baptist, and a couple of Division II schools.

Carlos Williams • RB/ATH • 5-11 • 191 • Dixie County, Fla. • Dixie County HS
1st team all-state… 1st team all-district… 1,500 rushing yards… 25 touchdowns… on defense, recorded 60 tackles with two interceptions.

Jack Zelezinski • OL • 6-5 • 300 • Houston, Texas • Summer Creek HS
1st team all-district honors… Texas Class 6A state quarterfinalist.

lionsrking2
February 6th, 2019, 01:37 PM

Davion Curtis • WR • 6-0 • 180 • Temple, Texas • Temple HS • Tyler JC (Early Signee)
Signed with the University of Texas out of high school in 2016… played in one game as a redshirt freshman for the Longhorns in 2017… at Tyler JC, caught 50 passes for 1,000 yards and 15 TDs… at Temple HS, earned all-state and all-district honors… chosen to the 2015 Super Team and as one of 2016 Texas’ Best by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football… ranked the No. 5 recruit on the Centex 25 and picked a Top 100 prospect in Texas by the Waco Tribune… ranked No. 94 WR national and No. 83 overall in Texas by ESPN… also played basketball and competed in track and field.

(Early Signee)
Led Navarro College with 71 total tackles as a redshirt freshman in 2018, which also ranked him 10th in Region XIV… ranked second in the conference and ninth in the region with five sacks, three of those coming in the Salt City Bowl against Hutchinson CC… will have three years to play for the Cowboys.

District 6AI-1 All-District… Tulsa World All-State Honorable Mention… 4-time defensive player of the game… 51 tackles, 8 sacks, 11 tackles for a loss… 33 solo tackles… offered by Texas State, Missouri State, Eastern Illinois, Pittsburgh State, Central Oklahoma, Houston Baptist… drew interest from Arkansas and Tulsa.

Anthony Johnson • ATH • 5-11 • 180 • Lake Charles, La. • LaGrange HS (Early Signee)

1st team 4-5A All-District and All-Parish… honorable mention all-state… 47 tackles with 2 interceptions, one sack, four tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries… as a junior, recorded 100 tackles with seven pass break-ups, 11 TFLs and an interception.

Earned all-district and all-academic honors… all-SWLA team… recorded 162 tackles, 103 solos, as a senior with four tackles for a loss, four quarterback hurries, forced two fumbles and recovered one.

(Early Signee)
All-Southwest JC Football Conference honors as a defensive back for Navarro in 2018… ranked second on the team with 60 total tackles while leading the squad with 12 pass break-ups… recorded two tackles for a loss and picked off one pass… had a season-high 10 tackles against Blinn and four pass break-ups versus Cisco.

District 23-6A All-Purpose Player of the Year… 1st team all-district at wide receiver and all-purpose… 54 catches for 765 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Carlos Scott • LB • 6-1 • 235 • Houston, Texas • Dulles HS • Navarro JC (Early Signee)
Ranked fourth on the team in 2018 with 50 total tackles to go along with three tackles for a loss… playing in nine of the 11 games on the season, he recorded a season-high 11 tackles, nine of those solos, in a win over Trinity Valley.

1st team all-district… district lineman of the year… Texas Class 4A state quarterfinalist.

As a junior at Lake Travis, earned 1st team All-District 6A while helping lead his team to a 15-1 record and a state runner up spot… Began his HS career at Cambridge HS in Georgia and was rated the #60 player… in 2016, voted to the All-American USA Bowl representing Georgia as a middle linebacker… offered by Air Force, UTEP, Houston Baptist, and a couple of Division II schools.

1st team all-state… 1st team all-district… 1,500 rushing yards… 25 touchdowns… on defense, recorded 60 tackles with two interceptions.

Where are the stars? We need stars. There can't be a list without stars. xeyebrowx

McNeeserocket
February 6th, 2019, 02:02 PM

(Early Signee)

(Early Signee)

What about K.J. BROWN 6’3 230 TE BRAZOSWOOD, TEXAS, QB Cade Bartlett of Waller High School (he was an early signee), and Markel Cotton (6’1 190) (early signee)

McNeese72
February 6th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Where are the stars? We need stars. There can't be a list without stars. xeyebrowx

LOL! Don't know if any of them have stars or not? All I care about, is can they play?? This is going to be a new adventure this spring and fall. Sort of like how our basketball team is right now. The basketball team's record may not be there but I am seeing a whole lot of improvement since the first of the season.

Doc

McNeese72
February 6th, 2019, 02:19 PM
What about K.J. BROWN 6’3 230 TE BRAZOSWOOD, TEXAS, QB Cade Bartlett of Waller High School (he was an early signee), and Markel Cotton (6’1 190) (early signee)

Oh, I see what happened. I accidentally cut the top off when I copied Matt's email. Here are the ones I missed.

Cade Bartlett • QB • 6-3 • 205 • Waller, Texas • Waller HS (Early Signee)
2nd team all-district… academic all-state… 4,450 passing yards and 33 touchdowns… 650 rushing yards with 12 TDs.

Kevin Brown • TE • 6-2 • 230 • Richwood, Texas • Brazoswood HS
1st team All-Southern Brazoria County… team MVP… 34 catches for 511 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Markel Cotton • WR • 6-2 • 190 • Franklinton, La. • Pine HS (Early Signee)
Two-way starter… 1st team all-district WR… 2nd team all-district DB… 40 catches for 701 yards and 5 touchdowns… picked off three passes.

Panther88
February 6th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Oh, I see what happened. I accidentally cut the top off when I copied Matt's email. Here are the ones I missed.

Cade Bartlett • QB • 6-3 • 205 • Waller, Texas • Waller HS (Early Signee)
2nd team all-district… academic all-state… 4,450 passing yards and 33 touchdowns… 650 rushing yards with 12 TDs.

Kevin Brown • TE • 6-2 • 230 • Richwood, Texas • Brazoswood HS
1st team All-Southern Brazoria County… team MVP… 34 catches for 511 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Markel Cotton • WR • 6-2 • 190 • Franklinton, La. • Pine HS (Early Signee)
Two-way starter… 1st team all-district WR… 2nd team all-district DB… 40 catches for 701 yards and 5 touchdowns… picked off three passes.

Neat on the Waller HS acquisition, considering that PVAMU is only 2-3 minutes away. While Mac was in tx recruiting, our coaches hit La so hard until we will now have an official day/week of Mardi Gras on campus xlolx. We have some super signees from La.

McNeese75
February 6th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Neat on the Waller HS acquisition, considering that PVAMU is only 2-3 minutes away. While Mac was in tx recruiting, our coaches hit La so hard until we will now have an official day/week of Mardi Gras on campus xlolx. We have some super signees from La.

List em!!!

McNeese72
February 6th, 2019, 02:58 PM

That reminds me of what a guy who owned a fishing camp on Toledo Bend Lake told me once. He said that they would get in their boat and travel 30 minutes up the Lake to fish by someone else's boat dock, while the guy with that dock was traveling 30 minutes down the Lake to go fish by their dock.

Doc

Panther88
February 6th, 2019, 04:06 PM
That reminds me of what a guy who owned a fishing camp on Toledo Bend Lake told me once. He said that they would get in their boat and travel 30 minutes up the Lake to fish by someone else's boat dock, while the guy with that dock was traveling 30 minutes down the Lake to go fish by their dock.

Doc

The same was at play today lol.

Panther88
February 6th, 2019, 04:14 PM
List em!!!

Waiting on someone to start the SWAC NLI-signee thread. I won't deter from the SLC NLI-signee thread, other than noting a few odds, like the Cy-LBer that SFA snagged from our grasp. But, we had other coveted LBers who will contribute in his stead. :)

Daytripper
February 6th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Here is our guys with some details....

Also, here is Keeler discussing the class (Need and ESPN+ account) http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=babdad12-2a4d-4b7f-937a-ca236fd2ed25
Toneil Carter • RB • 6-0 • 215 • Houston, Texas • Langham Creek HS • Texas
TEXAS
2018 SEASON
Did not see any action … took a redshirt.
2017 SEASON
Played in nine games and made two starts (at Iowa State, Oklahoma State) … finished the season fifth on the team with 252 rushing yards and tied for third on the team with three rushing TDs in 2017 … also added six receptions for 31 yards and a touchdown … made his career debut in a 56-0 win over San Jose State … rushed for 56 yards (9.3 ypc) and a touchdown on six carries … had a long rush of 38 yards … made his first career start at Iowa State … rushed four times for 14 yards and had two catches for 23 yards … caught a 22-yard touchdown pass, his first career receiving TD … had six carries for 32 yards in UT’s double-overtime victory against Kansas State … rushed five times for six yards against Oklahoma … had just one rush and one catch against No. 10/11 Oklahoma State … led the team in rushing as he totaled 15 attempts for 70 yards and a score in a 38-7 win at Baylor … also had one catch for seven yards … rushed three times for 34 yards and had one reception for nine yards in a 42-27 victory over Kansas … had a 23-yard rushing touchdown against the Jayhawks … had 10 rushes for 27 yards in UT’s 28-14 win at No. 24/25 West Virginia … rushed three times for 10 yards against Texas Tech.
LANGHAM CREEK HIGH SCHOOL
Coached by Todd Thompson at Langham Creek … an All-American and three-time All-District running back … played in the 2017 Under Armour All-America Game … was a unanimous first team All-District 17-6A selection at running back following his senior season … named second team All-USA Texas at running back … also named to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football 2016 Super Team … rushed for 3,712 yards in his career and 55 touchdowns … No. 24 player in Texas and the No. 181 (No. 11 RB) player nationally according to Rivals … No. 158 (No. 9 RB) nationally and No. 25 player in Texas by 247Sports … ESPN ranks him No. 71 (No. 7 RB) nationally as well as the No. 15 player in Texas … rated No. 120 (No. 12 RB) nationally by Scout and as the No. 3 RB in Texas … ranked as the No. 5 prospect on the Houston Chronicle’s Top 100 … also listed at No. 20 on the Austin American-Statesman’s Fab 55 … No. 7 in the Houston Chronicle’s Top 100 … a Waco Tribune Top 100 player … named Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Tops in Texas at running back … rushed for 1,114 yard and 18 touchdowns as a senior … began the season with a 29-28 victory over Klein Oak in which he rushed for 90 yards and had 24 receiving … also returned three kicks for 88 yards … found the end zone three times in a week two win over Cypress Creek … rushed for 43 yards and two touchdowns, had three receptions for 34 yards and a TD … totaled 64 rushing yards in a win over Cypress Falls as Langham Creek moved to 3-0 … rushed for 150 yards and two touchdowns on 16 attempts in a victory over Cypress Woods … had just nine rush attempts the following week in a win over Cypress Lakes, but rushed for 154 yards and four touchdowns … also had one reception for 14 yards … defeated by Cypress Ranch the following week, but rushed 18 times for 125 yards and two touchdowns, his third straight 100-yard game … had his best game of the season in a win over Cypress Springs, rushing 32 times for 283 yards and five touchdowns … came back from injury for the beginning of the playoffs … rushed 12 times for 61 yards and score, while also adding a 62-yard TD reception in the Lobos’ 50-13 win over Houston Heights in the first round of the 6A Division II playoffs … had a rushing touchdown and totaled 92 all-purpose yards in a season-ending 29-21 loss to Cinco Ranch … named to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football preseason Super Team … was first team All-District 17-6A in 2015 … totaled 1,216 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns as a junior … earned first team All-District 17-6A in 2014 as a sophomore … totaled 1,382 rushing yards and 19 touchdowns as Langham Creek became the district’s first undefeated champion in four years at 9-0.
Ylijahh Hall • OL • 6-5 • 295 • Bryan, Texas • Bryan HS • Baylor
BAYLOR
Did not play in 2018.
BRYAN HIGH SCHOOL
Had 28 pancake blocks and did not allow a sack in his senior season at Bryan HS … Graded out at 89 percent as a senior at BHS … All-District 18-5A honorable mention as a junior … Rated three stars by 247Sports.com … Rated as No. 155 prospect in Texas … Three-star recruit according to Rivals.com … Three-star recruit according to ESPN … Ranked by ESPN as the No. 88 prospect in Texas … Helped team to second round of state playoffs in 2016 … Named to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football third team Super Team … Also ranked in the DCTF Texas Top 300.
Trace Mascorro • DL • 6-1 • 270 • Refugio, Texas • Refugio HS • UTEP
UTEP
2018 SEASON
Played in all 12 games in 2018 on the defensive line … Had 29 total tackles, 4.0 TFL, two quarterback hurries and a fumble recovery … Had a season-high five tackles against Western Kentucky … had a TFL at Middle Tennessee … also had a TFL each in games at Army and vs WKU … Recovered a fumble at New Mexico State.
2017 SEASON
Named to 2017 All-Conference USA Freshman team … Made 11 starts in 12 games played at the nose guard as a true freshman … scored a 26-yard touchdown on a fumble recovery … recorded 29 tackles (11 solo) with 4.0 tackles for loss and a pair of quarterback hurries … went 26 yards on a scoop-and-score and added a tackle at rival New Mexico State … recorded season-high five tackles with a tackle for loss against Western Kentucky … credited with four stops and tackle for loss at Army … notched four stops against Louisiana Tech … recorded a hurry and tackle for loss at Middle Tennessee … registered half a tackle for loss and hurry at North Texas … opened collegiate career with a start at No. 7 Oklahoma, tallying two tackles … notched a pair of tackles against Rice and three versus Arizona … recorded two tackles and half a tackle for loss against UTSA.

REFUGIO HIGH SCHOOL
Played all four years on the varsity squad on both sides of the ball at Refugio High School … tallied 165 tackles (59 solo), 28 tackles for loss, 20 quarterback hurries, 4.0 sacks and two fumble recoveries with a return for a touchdown … no sacks allowed while playing on the offensive line … efforts helped lead the Bobcats to a 15-1 record, while winning the 2016 Class 2A Division I State Championship … registered five tackles, 2.0 tackles for loss and a quarterback hurry in the championship game … one of three Refugio players to be named 2016 Victoria Advocate All-Area football team MVP following efforts in 2016 … named District 15-2A Division I All-District football first team on offense and defense (G/DT) in 2015 … named first team on both sides of the ball (DE/OT) in 2014 … named to District 16-2A Division II All-District football first team offense in 2013.
Dwayne Williams • CB • 5-10 • 175 • Killeen, Texas • Shoemaker HS • Oregon State
OREGON STATECAREER
Played in 30 games, with 22 starts … Had 74 tackles, including 4.5 for a loss, with five pass deflections and three quarterback hurries. Also had one sack and one forced fumble.

2018 SEASON
Played in and started 11 games … Made 32 tackles - 26 solo - with one forced fumble and two pass deflections … Forced the fumble against USC … Credited with a season-best eight tackles in the season opener at Ohio State, with seven solo … Added six tackles versus Southern Utah the following week … Registered pass breakups at Nevada and at Colorado.
2017 SEASON
Played in the first three games of the season before missing the final nine due to injury … Started all three games he played in … Made five tackles and finished with one quarterback hurry … Posted two tackles against both Colorado State and Portland State.

2016 SEASON
Played in five games, starting all five … Limited to five games due to a pair of injuries, missed Boise State and Colorado due to a knee injury, then missed Utah, Washington, Washington State, Stanford and UCLA later in the season again due to injury … Registered a career-high six tackles against Idaho State … Made the first sack of his career against Arizona … Recorded five tackles and a pass breakup against Oregon … Entered fall camp as a first-string cornerback but was limited by a nagging injury throughout camp … Enjoyed an outstanding spring practice session tallying several interceptions … Scored on a 56-yard pick-6 in the Spring Game.

2015 SEASON
Played in 11 games starting three … Finished the season with 17 tackles including 2.5 tackles-for-loss … Received first career start at Washington State registering a career-high four tackles and matched his output the next week against Colorado … Recorded four tackles including a half tackle-for-loss in the 2015 Spring Game.

2014 SEASON
Took a redshirt … Was on the ‘ready to play’ list and practiced with the defense throughout the season … Practiced as a punt and kick returner during the season.
Ife Adeyi • WR • 5-9 • 160 • Mansfield, Texas • Legacy HS
Three-star recruit by 247Sports and ESPN … No. 76 athlete by ESPN … No. 128 receiver by 247Sports … No. 128 player in the state of Texas by ESPN … pulled in 28 receptions for 615 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior … had 20 receptions for 450 yards and seven touchdowns as a junior … was also the placekicker on his varsity squad … also a member of Mansfield Legacy's Track & Field program, running for its 4x100 and 4x200-meter relay teams that claimed 2018 Texas Class 5A state titles with current Houston Track & Field freshman Jais Smith … coached by Chris Melson.
Kameryn Alexander • DB • 5-11 • 160 • Manvel, Texas • Manvel HS
Was defensive back and kick returner at Manvel HS … Unanimous all-district selection … Regional qualifier in long jump … Clocked at a 4.39 40-yard dash.
Gunner Capps • QB • 6-1 • 190 • Carthage, Texas • Carthage HS
Completed 221 of 343 passes for 3,856 yards, 49 touchdowns and seven interceptions in leading CHS to the 2017 Class 4A Division I state championship in 2017 … guided an offense that averaged 46.5 yards per game and scored at least 35 points in all 16 contests … threw at least two touchdown passes in 14 of 16 games and had at least one TD toss in all 16 contests, throwing seven TD passes in a 64-36 third-round playoff win over Silsbee and tossing four TDs in four other games … in six playoff games in 2017, threw for 19 touchdowns … went 16 for 21 for 365 yards and three touchdowns in Bulldogs’ 49-21 win over Kennedale in 2017 state championship game … … won pair of Class 4A state championships as starter at quarterback … in 2018 threw for 1,812 yards, 23 TD, 2 INT and completed 61 percent of passes in leading CHS to the Class 4A Division I state semifinals … named 2018 District 10-4A MVP … 2017 all-District 9-4A first team.
Braiden Clopton • DB • 5-10 • 160 • Gunter, Texas • Gunter HS
Led team to 2016 Class 3A Division 2 state championship … Finished 2016 season with 57 tackles, eight INT, 17 pass breakups and three TD returns … Also had 41 carries for 332 yards and three TD on offense … 2016 District 6-3A Division 2 Defensive Newcomer of the Year … 2016 AP all-state first team selection … 2016 Class 2A-3A All-Texomaland Newcomer of the Year by Sherman Herald-Democrat … Led team to 2018 Class 3A Division 2 semifinals … Led team to 2017 Class 3A Division 2 finals … 2017 All-District 6-3A Division 2 first team wide receiver … 2017 All-District 6-3A Division 2 first team outside linebacker … 2017 Academic All-District … 2017 Class 3A honorable mention all-state wide receiver … 2017 Class 3A honorable mention all-state linebacker … Two-time team captain … Lettered three years in football, twice in track, once in baseball, basketball and golf.
Emmonte Davis • DB • 6-3 • 175 • Anna, Texas • Anna HS
2018 stats: 37 rec, 526 yds, 6 TD; 32 rush, 253 yds, 1 TD; 41 tackles, 6 PBU, 2 FF, 1 FR … Career stats: 173 tackles, seven INT; 67 rec, 972 yds; 302 rush yds, 15 total TD … 2018 All-District 7-4A second team wide receiver … 2017 All-District 7-4A honorable mention safety … 2018 academic all-state … Team captain in 2018.
Darrel Hawkins Jr. • S • 5-10 • 185 • Beaumont, Texas • West Brook HS
Led prep team to Class 6A Division II state finals in 2018 … Two-time team captain … Lettered twice in football, twice in track … 2018 all-district first team … 2017 all-district second team … 2018 Willie Ray Smith Award Finalist … 274 career tackles … also had two sacks, two interceptions and scored one defensive touchdown.
Jack Kristofek • QB • 6-4 • 190 • Dallas, Texas • First Baptist Academy
Threw for 6,530 yards in prep career with 84 touchdowns and only 18 interceptions … Also rushed for 338 yards and six scores … Team captain as junior and senior … 2018 first team all-state and all-district … Named 2018 district offensive MVP … 2018 stats: 2,762 pass yds, 60 percent completion rate, 41 pass TD, 8 INT; 250 rush yds, 4 TD … Fourth leading passer in DFW area in 2018 … Led team to back-to-back district titles in 2017 and 2018, and regional championship in 2018 … 2017 second team all-district selection … Third leading passer in DFW area in 2017 … 2017 stats: 3,768 pass yds, 59 percent completion rate, 43 pass TD, 10 INT; 88 rush yds, 2 TD … Set school record with seven touchdowns in single game.
Jevon Leon • DL • 6-3 • 250 • Houston, Texas • Alief Hastings HS
Two-star recruit by Rivals.com … Finished with 200 tackles, 17.5 sacks, 34 hurries and four forced fumbles in career … In 2018 led team in tackles, TFLs, sacks, hurries, punt blocks and forced fumbles … Unanimous choice for 2018 District 23-6A Defensive Player of the Year … Unanimous choice for 2018 all-District 23-6A first team … In 2017 had 72 tackles, 19.5 TFL, 7.5 Sacks … In 2016 had 43 tackles, 15.5 TFL, 3.5 Sacks … Unanimous choice for 2017 District 23-6A Defensive MVP … 2017 TSWA Honorable Mention all-state … 2017 VYPE second team all-Greater Houston team … Houston Chronicle first team all-Greater Houston … 2016 All-District 23-6A second team … Three-year team captain … Nike Regional Combine invitee.
Rance McInnis • S • 6-0 • 180 • Cypress, Texas • Cy Ranch HS
Three-star recruit by 247Sports.com … Two-star recruit by Rivals.com … Career stats: 257 tackles, 12 INT, 10 PBU, 3 TFL, 3 FF … Had 4 INT in 2018 … 2017 stats: 5 INT, 3.5 TFL, 2 FF … 2016: 79 tackles, 3 INT, 0.5 TFL, 5 PBU … Team captain in 2018 … Led team to pair of district titles … Three-time first team all-district choice … 2018 team defensive MVP.
Jalen North • OL • 6-4 • 295 • Dallas, Texas • Parish Episcopal HS
Ranked as a top 200 prospect in Texas by 247Sports.com … Ranked as a three-star prospect by 247Sports.com … 2017 and 2018 first team all-district choice … Two-time team captain … Two-time second team all-state selection … Two-time offensive lineman of the year.
Keontae Richardson | TE | 6-4 | 200 | Rosenberg, Texas | Terry HS
Made switch from WR to TE as a senior … played in Wing T offense at Terry HS … 2017 stats: 12 rec, 122 yds, 1 TD … 2016 stats 7 rec, 98 yds.
Derrick Rose • WR • 6-3 • 185 • Sachse, Texas • Sachse HS
2018 stats: 39/68 passing, 760 yds, 8 TD; 68 rush, 520 yds, 11 TD; 12 ret, 209 yds, 2 TD … Team captain … Named first team all-District 10-6A wide receiver as wide receiver as junior in 2017 … Made switch to QB as senior in 2018, earning second team all-District 10-6A honors … Three-star prospect by 247Sports.com.
Noah Smith • WR • 5-10 • 170 • Houston, Texas • Cy Ridge HS
2017 stats: 145 rush, 793 yds, 6 TD; 38 rec, 467 yds, 3 TD … 2016 stats: 21 rush, 117 yds, 1 TD; 34 rec, 350 yds, 1 TD … 2018 All-District 17-6A second team quarterback … Over 3,000 all-purpose yards in prep career … Three-star recruit by 247Sports.com … Team captain … 2016 second team all-district selection at WR as sophomore … 2017 first team all-district selection as WR as a junior … Younger brother of Arizona State RB Trelon Smith.

Panther88
February 6th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Derrick Rose • WR • 6-3 • 185 • Sachse, Texas • Sachse HS

Very................. small world, indeed. Nice catch. Hope he works out well for SHSU and completes his academic/athletic potentiality as well.

BEAR
February 7th, 2019, 08:35 AM
Had a chance to review our class.

Signed everyone I listed yesterday. Two of our 3 star players I listed are gray shirting and becoming eligible next January so they don't count toward this signing class. Another kid went the route of community college. So three that won't contribute this season at gametime. But some of our transfers have 3 years of eligibility left so that's good news. Will any of them pan out? Who knows. UCA has never had this many 3 stars sign. The ones we have had sign tended to make all conference but again we've typically only signed one or two a year tops and some years none.

What I liked about his class:

The players we recruited have a "proactive" mentality to football. In film and in person I have seen some of our defensive recruits think ahead on plays which caused them to do things like cut off routes and fill gaps in the line tackling a running back. Some with such aggression. We've had pretty good luck with individual defensive players some going to the NFL. But I think this class will play better as a team where the stats just won't stick out but the will be evenly distributed.

The offensive players on the other hand are individual talents. WRs running clean routes and linemen dominating their assignment.

We won't likely see the firstfruits of this class next year because they are freshman but we are building it up again. Hopefully next year we won't lose two QBs for the rest of the season in one game early in the season! xlolx

UCABEARS75
February 7th, 2019, 10:24 AM
We signed a good class and we should because, after all, we are the “Crown Jewel” of Faulkner County.

SFA 93
February 7th, 2019, 10:27 AM
SFA closes with 32 signees and 4 walk ons

BEAR
February 7th, 2019, 10:39 AM
We signed a good class and we should because, after all, we are the “Crown Jewel” of Faulkner County.

xlolxxlolx McNeese is the "gold standard" of the conference. UCA is the "crown jewel" of faulkner county. Isn't SFA something I've heard on here before? xconfusedx Love the nicknames. xlolx

Daytripper
February 7th, 2019, 12:05 PM
SFA closes with 32 signees and 4 walk ons

Carthel must have blown out the place. That is a LOT of new players. Any insight into what's going on with the new regime?

Panther88
February 7th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Carthel must have blown out the place. That is a LOT of new players. Any insight into what's going on with the new regime?

+1. Hopefully compliance is on top of their job. This is D-1, not D-II w/ their rules.

Also, I'm hoping SFA will want another "purple-bowl" w/ us sometime soon. #SHSU-PV2020 #SFA-PV2020 #ACU-PV2020

clenz
February 7th, 2019, 02:08 PM
+1. Hopefully compliance is on top of their job. This is D-1, not D-II w/ their rules.

Also, I'm hoping SFA will want another "purple-bowl" w/ us sometime soon. #SHSU-PV2020 #SFA-PV2020 #ACU-PV2020
Meh.

UNI is at 33
NDSU is at 38

It happens

SFA 93
February 7th, 2019, 03:50 PM
https://i2.wp.com/theathleticherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Carthel_Homer_Bryce_Stadium.jpg?resize=768%2C445&ssl=1

https://sfajacks.com/index.aspx?path=football

Pretty much a gut job to the SFA football program which it needed.

It all started with Ryan Ivy coming in as the new AD and bringing in Coach Carthel.

The entire coaching staff was let go as well as quite a few players who decided to transfer out leaving lots of holes in the roster.

Watch the video and Carthel talks about the process in the building the program.

Outsider1
February 7th, 2019, 03:57 PM
It's entertaining anyway...

https://youtu.be/trEdwMybKlQ

BEAR
February 9th, 2019, 02:37 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30045&stc=1

Katfan
February 9th, 2019, 08:47 PM
Yeah I think they’ve had the best recruiting class for 5 or 6 years now!

Wildcat1997
February 12th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Our new DC will reportedly be from a top 10 FCS program. It hasn't been confirmed but my gut is telling me it's South Dakota State DC Clint Brown. His name has been tossed around before and he's also following several ACU coaches on Twitter.

Evolution Prime
February 12th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Our new DC will reportedly be from a top 10 FCS program. It hasn't been confirmed but my gut is telling me it's South Dakota State DC Clint Brown. His name has been tossed around before and he's also following several ACU coaches on Twitter.

Well, he is not listed on our coaching staff roster anymore.

Outsider1
February 12th, 2019, 10:59 AM
Well, he is not listed on our coaching staff roster anymore.

Supposedly an announcement coming this afternoon.

Wildcat1997
February 12th, 2019, 11:18 AM
It's official now: https://ktxs.com/sports/college-sports/acu-football-hires-new-defensive-coordinator

CappinHard
February 12th, 2019, 11:32 AM
It's official now: https://ktxs.com/sports/college-sports/acu-football-hires-new-defensive-coordinator

From DC at a top 10 FCS team in the MVFC to DC at a mid level FCS team in the Southland?

https://media.giphy.com/media/h2OLfcSKKthRK/giphy.gif

BEAR
February 12th, 2019, 11:39 AM
From DC at a top 10 FCS team in the MVFC to DC at a mid level FCS team in the Southland?

https://media.giphy.com/media/h2OLfcSKKthRK/giphy.gif

You can only keep what you pay for....it's all about the...

https://media.giphy.com/media/13ln9K5TWkNTLa/giphy.gif

Outsider1
February 12th, 2019, 11:45 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/13ln9K5TWkNTLa/giphy.gif

Nah, it's all about the BBQ..... xdrunkyx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30050&stc=1

CappinHard
February 12th, 2019, 11:54 AM

It will be interesting to see what type of defense he implements down there. There's been an ongoing debate about whether Stig handcuffed Brown and made him run a vanilla "bend but don't break" style of defense, or if that's what Brown prefers.

BEAR
February 12th, 2019, 12:15 PM
It will be interesting to see what type of defense he implements down there. There's been an ongoing debate about whether Stig handcuffed Brown and made him run a vanilla "bend but don't break" style of defense, or if that's what Brown prefers.

Well they've averaged like 4 wins a season since 2014 so I don't think the pressure will be on him too much. xlolx They've got the facilities and it appears the money so recruiting shouldn't be an issue. They're getting over the initial hump of coming into the FCS so they have a bunch of potential. Plus the bbq is pretty good. xpeacex

I'm jealous of this...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/acu.sidearmsports.com/images/2015/10/16/Stadium_Day_680x510.jpg

Daytripper
February 12th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Well they've averaged like 4 wins a season since 2014 so I don't think the pressure will be on him too much. xlolx They've got the facilities and it appears the money so recruiting shouldn't be an issue. They're getting over the initial hump of coming into the FCS so they have a bunch of potential. Plus the bbq is pretty good. xpeacex

I'm jealous of this...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/acu.sidearmsports.com/images/2015/10/16/Stadium_Day_680x510.jpg

Me. Jealous. Too.

Wildcat1997
February 12th, 2019, 01:17 PM
https://acusports.com/news/2019/2/12/football-acu-plucks-defensive-coordinator-from-south-dakota-state.aspx. He says he's leaving because he wants a new challenge and also wants more experience under a different HC because he himself wants to be a HC one day.

McNeese75
February 12th, 2019, 04:12 PM

I'm jealous of this...

It is very nice (and a big improvement over Shotwell) but it is a little small. (for now anyway)

BEAR
February 12th, 2019, 04:30 PM
It is very nice (and a big improvement over Shotwell) but it is a little small. (for now anyway)

Yeah but they can build it's reputation of being a tough place to play. UCA's Estes stadium only hold 9000 and not too many teams have had success there. Plus it really needs updating rug and all. ACU has it nice. I hope they grow attendance quickly. I mean they were over 9k several times last year with a 6-5 record. Sounds like a GREAT start!

Panther88
February 12th, 2019, 04:35 PM

I'm jealous of this...

That venue looks eerily familiar... hmmmmm... (cue up the overhead pic of PV’s venue)

Outsider1
February 12th, 2019, 04:51 PM
We don't have everything in place yet...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30052&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30053&stc=1

BEAR
February 14th, 2019, 12:12 PM
Found out some *news* today. Our game with Ole Miss in 2012 that we led at halftime and eventually lost has now been vacated by the NCAA for ineligible players by Ole Miss. Not much meaning really because it's in the past, but a first for us. So boo we lost...but yay we didn't lose...so to speak...xlolx

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/2/11/18221225/ole-miss-vacated-wins-ncaa

Part of Ole Miss’ punishment in the big NCAA thing (https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/29/11540310/ole-miss-football-ncaa-hugh-freeze-laremy-tunsil-robert-nkemdiche) from a few years back: vacating wins. We knew that’d take a while to sort out, and now — more than a year after the NCAA’s main sanctions announcement — the Rebels and the NCAA have figured out which Ole Miss wins involved ineligible players. Rebel Grove reports (https://olemiss.rivals.com/news/ole-miss-vacates-more-than-30-wins-over-a-span-of-six-seasons) Ole Miss now [wink wink] no longer won the following games, which Ole Miss won:
2010: Tulane, Fresno State, Kentucky, ULL
2011: Southern Illinois, Fresno State
2012: Central Arkansas, UTEP, Auburn, Tulane, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Pittsburgh
2013: Vanderbilt, Southeast Missouri, LSU, Texas, Idaho, Arkansas, Troy
2014: Boise State, Vanderbilt, ULL, Memphis, Alabama, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Tennessee
2016: Wofford, Georgia, Memphis, Georgia Southern, Texas A&M

Katfan
February 14th, 2019, 03:35 PM
What does everyone think about next year? I think we’ll be better at least to start. Well have our o-line healthy at least to start. Our running game should be much improved. Our Defense should continue to improve. Brock will be getting reps and should be much improved. I think we picked up a few players that will make an impact immediately. But we’ll see.

Outsider1
February 14th, 2019, 04:16 PM
We should have better depth at most positions. We lost a couple of key linemen, but Dorrel had really rotated players well last year. There won't be a big gap to fill with returning ones and the new players coming in. So, even with our losses to graduation or attrition, we should have more players on the lines. We also should have better size depending on how the Spring and Summer training continue. If our trench work continues in the same direction that it did last year, then we should be better at stopping and moving the ball. We brought in some needed help at WR and built on our running backs. Luke will be in his 3rd season. If the OL improves like it should, and he has more weapons to choose from, I expect much more productive numbers. With a lot of returning defensive players, plus some good recruits, and a new DC with loads of talent I am really hoping that our defensive improvements from last year multiply. We also brought in a new Safeties coach from Clemson and looking for a CBs coach. Our secondary had made many improvements last year, but we saw a lot of room to grow. I think we will.

SFA 93
February 14th, 2019, 04:48 PM
If we win 3 games, we improved :)

McNeese72
February 18th, 2019, 08:44 AM
What does everyone think about next year? I think we’ll be better at least to start. Well have our o-line healthy at least to start. Our running game should be much improved. Our Defense should continue to improve. Brock will be getting reps and should be much improved. I think we picked up a few players that will make an impact immediately. But we’ll see.

Since we essentially rebooted our football program, we, at McNeese, have no clue what next season will be like.

We rebooted our basketball program before this season and we are definitely feeling the growing pains right now.

Doc

BEAR
February 18th, 2019, 09:27 AM
UCA- I think we will have a MUCH better year than last year. Since we lost both our starting QB and our backup QB in game 4 early in the season last year, we've had a chance to give our young players a chance to get some experience and that includes at QB. Plus we signed a pretty good QB out of Fayetteville so we should be fine at that position. Got some good transfers and had one of our best signing classes. If we don't contend for the title then it will likely be the usual runner up for us. As for the playoffs, unless we are able to win at either Hawaii or W. Kentucky, I don't see us sneaking in there. But we'll see. Lots of new players on defense added with this signing class.

FormerPokeCenter
February 18th, 2019, 09:36 AM
I would consider 6-5 a success next year under a first year head coach, with a new staff and a new system.

A marginal success, but a success...

Outsider1
February 18th, 2019, 10:36 AM
I would consider 6-5 a success next year under a first year head coach, with a new staff and a new system.

A marginal success, but a success...

6-5 was a great success for us last year. Our hope is to build on that. We know the rest of the SLC won't make that easy. It was a little hard for us to see the huge jump UIW made last year. Still, we want steady growth and improvement that will last beyond our current coaches to where we won't experience much drop off with coach turn-over and coaches can be brought up through the system. It will take a while to build such a system based program. Last year it was nice to even be mentioned in some play-off talk, even if marginally. Next year, we want to actually be in the run, if not make it...

Outsider1
February 18th, 2019, 10:50 AM
This isn't immediate for next season and is mostly indirectly related to football, but it will make the football game day experience better: eventual restaurants and a hotel right across the street for visitors coming in from long distance for games, etc... ACU is building a residential/commercial development across the street from Wildcat Stadium. Phase one is still getting final approvals, but hopefully construction can start soon.

https://acuoptimist.com/2018/02/board-approves-next-step-allen-ridge-development-plan/
https://ktxs.com/news/local/new-mixed-use-development-allen-ridge-may-come-to-abilene-across-from-acu

Daytripper
February 18th, 2019, 11:26 AM

Next year should be very interesting. I think the expectations are tempered based on the mediocre season we just had. I would like to see overall improvement on both sides of the ball. The key will be to avoid major injuries. The O-Line was just devastated last year. Brock seemed to hit a wall after his first few games as far as development. I'm not sure if was his fault, or that of the offensive coordinator, or if it was just a product of poor offensive live play.... probably a combination. His sophomore season, with a full offseason as "the guy" will tell us a lot. While there are a lot of questions, I believe the ceiling is very high. A handful of the injured o-linemen were veterans who now come back for another year. This may be the most depth we have ever had at that position. We are bringing in a transfer RB that is big and fast (Carter). Hopefully the OC will use him correctly and he should make a great contrast to Kyran Jackson, who was exceptional last year. The defense was better last year and hopefully will improve.

Prediction: We could finish anywhere from 6-6 again to 12-0.

BEAR
February 18th, 2019, 11:34 AM
Anyone want to dare to predict their schedule's W's and L's? 12 games...You gotta 50/50 chance. xlolx Yeah it's too early...but it might also be fun. xthumbsupx

Outsider1
February 18th, 2019, 12:39 PM
Anyone want to dare to predict their schedule's W's and L's? 12 games...You gotta 50/50 chance. xlolx Yeah it's too early...but it might also be fun. xthumbsupx

This will be hard without an actual 2019 schedule released yet. One of our great regulars (and moderators) on Catchat pieced the below together from his snooping. Right now we don't actually have a 12th game and we are wondering what will happen. Most of us would like to see another FCS OOC game but with our Southern Utah games cancelled we aren't sure if it is possible in the near future... As our schedule looks now, maybe another 6-5 record. Depending on a 12th game, maybe 8-4 or 7-5?? Honestly, I think that is being optimistic.

Aug 31 @unt
Sep 07 bye
Sep 14 @uca
Sep 21 McNeese
Sep 28 @ UIW
Oct 05 @ Lamar
Oct 12 HBU
Oct 19 SFA
Oct 26 bye
Nov 02 @ Nicholls
Nov 09 SHSU
Nov 16 SELA
Nov 23 @miss State

BEAR
February 18th, 2019, 02:02 PM
This will be hard without an actual 2019 schedule released yet.

xeyebrowx Your official schedule isn't released yet? You mean it isn't on your schools website? This is Division I football. Most schedules are made years in advance and the only things that can be really left off are reschedules and game times. I mean flip your away games with home games from last year and you should already know what FBS/other FCS/DII/NAIA games you have planned. Why hasn't your school released it? Is there going to be an major schedule rewrite or something? xlolx

Outsider1
February 18th, 2019, 03:06 PM
xeyebrowx Your official schedule isn't released yet? You mean it isn't on your schools website? This is Division I football. Most schedules are made years in advance and the only things that can be really left off are reschedules and game times. I mean flip your away games with home games from last year and you should already know what FBS/other FCS/DII/NAIA games you have planned. Why hasn't your school released it? Is there going to be an major schedule rewrite or something? xlolx

ACU has never been very good at releasing these things very quickly. Most of us are used to it, but it still stinks.... Geeze, the above one was put together by looking at all the other school's schedules... xembarrassedxxholyxxbangx

BEAR
February 18th, 2019, 03:14 PM
ACU has never been very good at releasing these things very quickly. Most of us are used to it, but it still stinks.... Geeze, the above one was put together by looking at all the other school's schedules... xembarrassedxxholyxxbangx

Send an email to your school's assistant AD or SID. Tell 'em:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-voPRpe8abTY/UzHSzt1zvoI/AAAAAAAAAjE/gNoRW114vyg/s1600/choo+choo.gif

SFA 93
February 18th, 2019, 05:13 PM
SFA 2019

Saturday
Aug. 31
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/baylor.png (https://fbschedules.com/baylor-football-schedule/)
at Baylor Bears (https://fbschedules.com/baylor-football-schedule/)McLane Stadium, Waco, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

(https://www.ticketmonster.com/buy-Baylor-Bears-vs-Stephen-F-Austin-Lumberjacks-tickets-at-McLane-Stadium--Waco-Texas-08-31-2019/1565246?aid=14849)

Saturday
Sep. 7
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/tarleton-state.png (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2019/team/tarleton-state)
Tarleton State Texans (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2019/team/tarleton-state)Homer Bryce Stadium, Nacogdoches, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 14
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/southern-utah.png (https://fbschedules.com/southern-utah-football-schedule/)
at Southern Utah Thunderbirds (https://fbschedules.com/southern-utah-football-schedule/)Eccles Coliseum, Cedar City, UT
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 28
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/lamar.png (https://fbschedules.com/lamar-football-schedule/)
at Lamar Cardinals (https://fbschedules.com/lamar-football-schedule/)Provost Umphrey Stadium, Beaumont, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 5
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/sam-houston-st.png (https://fbschedules.com/sam-houston-state-football-schedule/)
vs Sam Houston State Bearkats (https://fbschedules.com/sam-houston-state-football-schedule/)NRG Stadium, Houston, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 26
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/mcneese-st.png (https://fbschedules.com/mcneese-football-schedule/)
McNeese Cowboys (https://fbschedules.com/mcneese-football-schedule/)Homer Bryce Stadium, Nacogdoches, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 2
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/southeastern-louisiana.png (https://fbschedules.com/southeastern-louisiana-football-schedule/)
at Southeastern La. Lions (https://fbschedules.com/southeastern-louisiana-football-schedule/)Strawberry Stadium, Hammond, LA
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 9
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/incarnate-word.png (https://fbschedules.com/incarnate-word-football-schedule/)
Incarnate Word Cardinals (https://fbschedules.com/incarnate-word-football-schedule/)Homer Bryce Stadium, Nacogdoches, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 16
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/central-arkansas.png (https://fbschedules.com/central-arkansas-football-schedule/)
at Central Arkansas Bears (https://fbschedules.com/central-arkansas-football-schedule/)Estes Stadium, Conway, AR
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Thursday
Nov. 21
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/northwestern-st.png (https://fbschedules.com/northwestern-state-football-schedule/)
at Northwestern State Demons (https://fbschedules.com/northwestern-state-football-schedule/)Harry Turpin Stadium, Natchitoches, LA
7:00pm ETTV TBA

SFA 93
February 18th, 2019, 05:15 PM
2019 ACU

Saturday
Apr. 6
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/abilene-christian.png
Purple-White Spring GameWildcat Stadium, Abilene, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Aug. 31
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/north-texas-helmet.png (https://fbschedules.com/north-texas-football-schedule/)
at North Texas Mean Green (https://fbschedules.com/north-texas-football-schedule/)Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA
Buy Tickets (https://www.ticketmonster.com/buy-North-Texas-Mean-Green-vs-Abilene-Christian-Wildcats-tickets-at-Apogee-Stadium-Denton-Texas-08-31-2019/1630910?aid=14849)

Saturday
Sep. 14
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/central-arkansas.png (https://fbschedules.com/central-arkansas-football-schedule/)
at Central Arkansas Bears (https://fbschedules.com/central-arkansas-football-schedule/)Estes Stadium, Conway, AR
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 21
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/mcneese-st.png (https://fbschedules.com/mcneese-football-schedule/)
McNeese Cowboys (https://fbschedules.com/mcneese-football-schedule/)Wildcat Stadium, Abilene, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 28
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/incarnate-word.png (https://fbschedules.com/incarnate-word-football-schedule/)
at Incarnate Word Cardinals (https://fbschedules.com/incarnate-word-football-schedule/)Gayle and Tom Benson Stadium, San Antonio, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 5
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/lamar.png (https://fbschedules.com/lamar-football-schedule/)
at Lamar Cardinals (https://fbschedules.com/lamar-football-schedule/)Provost Umphrey Stadium, Beaumont, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 12
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/houston-baptist.png (https://fbschedules.com/houston-baptist-football-schedule/)
Houston Baptist Huskies (https://fbschedules.com/houston-baptist-football-schedule/)Wildcat Stadium, Abilene, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 9
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/sam-houston-st.png (https://fbschedules.com/sam-houston-state-football-schedule/)
Sam Houston State Bearkats (https://fbschedules.com/sam-houston-state-football-schedule/)Wildcat Stadium, Abilene, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 16
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/southeastern-louisiana.png (https://fbschedules.com/southeastern-louisiana-football-schedule/)
Southeastern La. Lions (https://fbschedules.com/southeastern-louisiana-football-schedule/)Wildcat Stadium, Abilene, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 23
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/mississippi-st.png (https://fbschedules.com/mississippi-state-football-schedule/)
at Mississippi State Bulldogs (https://fbschedules.com/mississippi-state-football-schedule/)Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS
Time TBA ETTV TBA

(https://www.ticketmonster.com/buy-Mississippi-State-Bulldogs-vs-Abilene-Christian-Wildcats-tickets-at-Davis-Wade-Stadium-at-Scott-Field-Starkville-Mississippi-11-23-2019/1532871?aid=14849)

Catatonic
February 18th, 2019, 05:59 PM
2019 ACU

Saturday
Apr. 6
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Aug. 31
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/north-texas-helmet.png (https://fbschedules.com/north-texas-football-schedule/)
at North Texas Mean Green (https://fbschedules.com/north-texas-football-schedule/)Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA
Buy Tickets (https://www.ticketmonster.com/buy-North-Texas-Mean-Green-vs-Abilene-Christian-Wildcats-tickets-at-Apogee-Stadium-Denton-Texas-08-31-2019/1630910?aid=14849)

Saturday
Sep. 14
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 21
McNeese Cowboys (https://fbschedules.com/mcneese-football-schedule/)Wildcat Stadium, Abilene, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 28
at Incarnate Word Cardinals (https://fbschedules.com/incarnate-word-football-schedule/)Gayle and Tom Benson Stadium, San Antonio, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 5
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 12
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/houston-baptist.png (https://fbschedules.com/houston-baptist-football-schedule/)
Houston Baptist Huskies (https://fbschedules.com/houston-baptist-football-schedule/)Wildcat Stadium, Abilene, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 9
Sam Houston State Bearkats (https://fbschedules.com/sam-houston-state-football-schedule/)Wildcat Stadium, Abilene, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 16
Southeastern La. Lions (https://fbschedules.com/southeastern-louisiana-football-schedule/)Wildcat Stadium, Abilene, TX
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 23
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/mississippi-st.png (https://fbschedules.com/mississippi-state-football-schedule/)
at Mississippi State Bulldogs (https://fbschedules.com/mississippi-state-football-schedule/)Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS
Time TBA ETTV TBA

(https://www.ticketmonster.com/buy-Mississippi-State-Bulldogs-vs-Abilene-Christian-Wildcats-tickets-at-Davis-Wade-Stadium-at-Scott-Field-Starkville-Mississippi-11-23-2019/1532871?aid=14849)

These are partial schedules. Neither SFA nor ACU have complete schedules. I know ACU is still trying to schedule a 12th game.

Catatonic
February 18th, 2019, 06:04 PM
This will be hard without an actual 2019 schedule released yet. One of our great regulars (and moderators) on Catchat pieced the below together from his snooping. Right now we don't actually have a 12th game and we are wondering what will happen. Most of us would like to see another FCS OOC game but with our Southern Utah games cancelled we aren't sure if it is possible in the near future... As our schedule looks now, maybe another 6-5 record. Depending on a 12th game, maybe 8-4 or 7-5?? Honestly, I think that is being optimistic.

Aug 31 @unt
Sep 07 bye
Sep 14 @uca
Sep 21 McNeese
Sep 28 @ UIW
Oct 05 @ Lamar
Oct 12 HBU
Oct 19 SFA
Oct 26 bye
Nov 02 @ Nicholls
Nov 09 SHSU
Nov 16 SELA
Nov 23 @miss State

The Southern Utah games are cancelled? When did this happen and why don’t I know about it? FBSchedules still has a home-away series v Southern Utah fro 2020-21.

Outsider1
February 18th, 2019, 07:05 PM
The Southern Utah games are cancelled? When did this happen and why don’t I know about it? FBSchedules still has a home-away series v Southern Utah fro 2020-21.

Sorry, flipped so they could play Dixie State. I kept thinking one was cancelled in my head.

Outsider1
February 18th, 2019, 07:11 PM
2019 ACU

Saturday
Apr. 6
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Aug. 31
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 14
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 21
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Sep. 28
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 5
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Oct. 12
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 9
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 16
Time TBA ETTV TBA

Saturday
Nov. 23
Time TBA ETTV TBA

'93, where did you get these schedules?

**Nevermind, got it...** xembarrassedx

Catatonic
February 18th, 2019, 07:14 PM
Sorry, flipped so they could play Dixie State. I kept thinking one was cancelled in my head.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/abilene-christian/

Outsider1
February 18th, 2019, 07:18 PM
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/abilene-christian/

I had looked at this a while back but not since the ACU Sports article that talked about the A&M game being moved. I think I must have read something wrong.

Outsider1
February 18th, 2019, 07:34 PM
These are partial schedules. Neither SFA nor ACU have complete schedules. I know ACU is still trying to schedule a 12th game.

I am wondering where the SFA and Nicholls games came from?? Is that all I am missing from my original pasting?

Catatonic
February 19th, 2019, 04:34 AM
I am wondering where the SFA and Nicholls games came from?? Is that all I am missing from my original pasting?

Logic.

1. Northwestern State has announced their 12 game schedule. We aren’t on it. Ergo, the Demons have rotated off our schedule for 19.

2. We know the names and dates for 7 of the 9 conference games, leaving SFA and Nichols to go on our schedule at some point. Comparing our open dates with the open dates for these two schools shows they each have one Saturday open on our open dates. Ergo, we can pencil them in on those dates.

BEAR
February 19th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Someone mentioned that you can tell if you have a good signing class by looking at how their career turns out 4 years later. Think it was a Cowboy fan.

UCA's 2014 class: All played on the SLC 2017 Championship team. (except Tachie)

2014: Class signed. Below are a few of the ones that contributed with recognition. OL guys rarely get recognition. xlolx
2015: 7-4 (7-2 SLC)
2016: 10-3 (8-1 SLC)
2017: 10-2 (9-0 SLC)
2018: 6-5 (Early season ending injuries to starting and backup QBs left the Bears struggling)

DB Jacob Sisk: Went on to become an assistant coach at UCA.
OL John Cook: One All SLC preseason and regular season first team.
DL Eric Jackson: One All SLC preseason and regular season team.
DL Cardell Best: One All SLC preseason and regular season second team.
OL David Tachie: Went onto play for FBS Texas State after transferring from UCA.
DB Tremon Smith: Two time All SLC first team and pre-season team. Plays in the NFL for KC Chiefs.
DB Chris Chambers: Solid defensive player for the Dline.
DL Dalvin Simmons: Another solid defensive player.

There were other players of course that contributed in ways unmeasured by awards and stats. It was a class I'd give a letter grade of A because of their accomplishments.

Catatonic
February 20th, 2019, 05:41 AM

We aren’t alone. SFA and Nichols haven’t released their 2019 schedules either. And since SLC schools rotate one conference school off their schedule periodically it makes it hard to just reverse home and away conference games.

No major rewrite for us though. Judging by the schedules they have released we drop Northwestern State and pick up Lamar in conference.

The hold up is that we are still in search of a 12th game. We’d like to find another FCS school but that’s proving difficult.

Panther88
February 20th, 2019, 01:44 PM
We don't have everything in place yet...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30052&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30053&stc=1

They waited to erect the fieldhouse? xconfusedx

I thought someone would've posted our diggs so we can see what is common betwixt the two... The layout appears to be the norm for a newer type stadium (no track, attached fieldhouse, et al).

http://forwardtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PVAMU-FOOTBALL.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kLOXFIVC2u0/hqdefault.jpg

https://cdn.abcotvs.com/dip/images/1499185_090516ktrktsupvlaborday02img.jpg

T&F stadium in the background below. Soccer stadium sits adjacent the football stadium.

http://www.wjhw.com/slides/cats/e3b54574-c745-4985-ad2b-95d4b1ed883d/7990c539-7e01-46ee-ad3b-22cff365c124/06e83e78-e3c1-4630-985d-016b481d5485/20160904_181701-web.jpg
https://www.google.com/search?q=prairie+view+a%26m+university+football+st adium&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS819US819&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=oB_Oc-J96dlkyM%253A%252C6MCmEjUmwYm7fM%252C%252Fg%252F11 c53n9gk2&usg=AI4_-kRSZfR4gK11yXN3aGST_7ls7RjqwA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjSv_SuhsvgAhVP-qwKHawMBr0Q_B0wAXoECAkQCw#imgdii=wRzMRxKwEAUO7M:&imgrc=jc0erB4YiDcETM:
https://www.google.com/search?q=prairie+view+a%26m+university+football+st adium&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS819US819&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=oB_Oc-J96dlkyM%253A%252C6MCmEjUmwYm7fM%252C%252Fg%252F11 c53n9gk2&usg=AI4_-kRSZfR4gK11yXN3aGST_7ls7RjqwA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjSv_SuhsvgAhVP-qwKHawMBr0Q_B0wAXoECAkQCw#imgdii=wRzMRxKwEAUO7M:&imgrc=jc0erB4YiDcETM:

Outsider1
February 20th, 2019, 01:59 PM

I thought someone would've posted our diggs so we can see what is common betwixt the two... The layout appears to be the norm for a newer type stadium (no track, attached fieldhouse, et al).

T&F stadium in the background below. Soccer stadium sits adjacent the football stadium.

I absolutely love ya'lls stadium and do think the design is a fairly common one like ours nowadays. I like it though. It is functional and provides good views. I wish ours had two levels on the visitor's side as well. The south endzone complex was always a secondary addition for us. We already have athletic offices not far and all the locker rooms were built underneath the home side stands. The weight room is just next to the stadium, so they had what they needed once the stadium was built. Also, they want the field-house construction funded before starting. If I won the lottery, one of the first things I would do is sit down with the AD and hammer out a hefty donation for it and some nice LED banner lighting around the stadium....

***I'd add that I would love to play you guys in an OOC game. Would love a H&H schedule between us.***

BEAR
February 20th, 2019, 02:00 PM
https://www.facebook.com/PGNConway/videos/300145277328360/

Daytripper
February 20th, 2019, 02:03 PM

https://cdn.abcotvs.com/dip/images/1499185_090516ktrktsupvlaborday02img.jpg

http://www.wjhw.com/slides/cats/e3b54574-c745-4985-ad2b-95d4b1ed883d/7990c539-7e01-46ee-ad3b-22cff365c124/06e83e78-e3c1-4630-985d-016b481d5485/20160904_181701-web.jpg

I wish PVAMU would join the Southland. Location and facilities make it a perfect fit.

Outsider1
February 20th, 2019, 02:07 PM
https://www.facebook.com/PGNConway/videos/300145277328360/Nice!!!

Sent from my BLU_S1 using Tapatalk

BEAR
February 20th, 2019, 02:14 PM
Nice!!!

I imagine all the SLC teams are doing similar things. Anyone else got a video?! I wanna see them! xbowx

Panther88
February 20th, 2019, 02:28 PM
I wish PVAMU would join the Southland. Location and facilities make it a perfect fit.

From a logistics and traveling standpoint ($$/time), it certainly makes more "cents" but from a competitivity standpoint? Nope. PVAMU is o'fer vs SLC schools recently in football (5yrs).

No one can deny that the premiere FCS schools (football) in Tx are in the SLC conference (HBU, ACU, SHSU, SFA, Lamar). I discount the recent-type victory by PVAMU over SFA based purely on the last 5 years of football competition.

We have Nicholls St @ our place this fall. So, we'll see what's what at that time.

Panther88
February 20th, 2019, 02:34 PM
I absolutely love ya'lls stadium and do think the design is a fairly common one like ours nowadays. I like it though. It is functional and provides good views. I wish ours had two levels on the visitor's side as well. The south endzone complex was always a secondary addition for us. We already have athletic offices not far and all the locker rooms were built underneath the home side stands. The weight room is just next to the stadium, so they had what they needed once the stadium was built. Also, they want the field-house construction funded before starting. If I won the lottery, one of the first things I would do is sit down with the AD and hammer out a hefty donation for it and some nice LED banner lighting around the stadium....

***I'd add that I would love to play you guys in an OOC game. Would love a H&H schedule between us.***

We have a H&H w/ ACU starting fall 2020 and ending in 2021. And... from what a lil' birdie told me... we're trying to do another H&H w/ SHSU starting fall 2020/2022(?). xreadx.

The stadium is functional and appears to be the right size for what we need, right now. It seats 15K. It's expandable to 30-33K w/ the bowl closure and advanced 2nd deck over the East side stands.

McNeese72
February 20th, 2019, 02:40 PM
One thing I remember from our trip to Abilene in 2017, there wasn't very much distance between the back corners of the endzones and the wall. Something us photographers would notice.

Doc

Outsider1
February 20th, 2019, 03:16 PM
One thing I remember from our trip to Abilene in 2017, there wasn't very much distance between the back corners of the endzones and the wall. Something us photographers would notice.

Doc

Nope, they squeezed every inch of space when they did the stadium and field. I remember looking at the drawings and thinking that the receivers, especially, better have good brakes.....

Outsider1
February 20th, 2019, 03:21 PM
I imagine all the SLC teams are doing similar things. Anyone else got a video?! I wanna see them! xbowx

I wish we did, but they haven't started any official practices yet, so no vids... I will definitely post when we do. I hate that I will miss the Spring game this year

BEAR
February 20th, 2019, 04:24 PM
I wish we did, but they haven't started any official practices yet, so no vids... I will definitely post when we do. I hate that I will miss the Spring game this year

That's great news! UCA hasn't started any of its practices yet either. Not until the 28th of Feb. Those are preseason workouts. No football plays. Just old fashioned "get your @ss up and MOVE" and get into shape! xlolx

Outsider1
February 20th, 2019, 07:35 PM
That's great news! UCA hasn't started any of its practices yet either. Not until the 28th of Feb. Those are preseason workouts. No football plays. Just old fashioned "get your @ss up and MOVE" and get into shape! xlolx

Had to share that one with the guys for motivation xbowx xcoachxxcoachx

SFA 93
February 22nd, 2019, 06:51 AM
New Director of Sports Performance at SFA Josh Stoner getting the troops going.

https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1098783169321553921

BEAR
February 22nd, 2019, 08:04 AM
It's already here....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy-W9xdUcAEZPs_.jpg:large

BEAR
February 22nd, 2019, 08:23 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolx Recruiting has already started for 2020.... xlolx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzaVv2PUwAAaSEs.jpg

Outsider1
February 22nd, 2019, 02:23 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx Recruiting has already started for 2020.... xlolx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzaVv2PUwAAaSEs.jpg

Yep, we have multiple offers out already for 2020 kids. I like that we are actively going and seeking them out. How many we get from this far out will be interesting to watch. For now I am just ready to watch some actual Spring practice!!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30145&stc=1

Outsider1
February 22nd, 2019, 02:33 PM
When I ask coach Dorrel how much longer till Fall gets here xdrunkyxxthumbsupx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30146&stc=1

BEAR
February 22nd, 2019, 04:02 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AcBUSVxs82w/SQX2olhdjAI/AAAAAAAALM8/LCoS8K5Eq5Q/s400/funny_bear.jpg

Outsider1
February 22nd, 2019, 04:50 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AcBUSVxs82w/SQX2olhdjAI/AAAAAAAALM8/LCoS8K5Eq5Q/s400/funny_bear.jpg

LOL.......

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30148&stc=1

BEAR
February 25th, 2019, 11:50 AM
https://twitter.com/PGNConway/status/1099038047688118272

Catatonic
February 26th, 2019, 07:16 AM
Athlon Sports has Nichols as the SLC favorite for 2019.

Southland

Nicholls probably wasn’t happy to share the title with Incarnate Word last season. The Colonels will be favored to win an outright title in 2019.

DISCUSS

Wildcat1997
February 26th, 2019, 08:25 AM

DISCUSSThat's a safe bet but they did lose quite a bit of talent. I think the standings will be:
1. Nicholls
2. UCA
3. Lamar
4. ACU
5. UIW
6. Sam
7. McNeese
8. SELA
9. SFA
10. NWST
11. HBU

BEAR
February 26th, 2019, 09:34 AM

DISCUSS

Link? I'll try to find it...

Catatonic
February 26th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Link? I'll try to find it...
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190225101812805886504&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

BEAR
February 26th, 2019, 09:51 AM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190225101812805886504&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

Thanks!

Outsider1
February 26th, 2019, 09:52 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30174&stc=1

Daytripper
February 26th, 2019, 11:01 AM
That's a safe bet but they did lose quite a bit of talent. I think the standings will be:
1. Nicholls
2. UCA
3. Lamar
4. ACU
5. UIW
6. Sam
7. McNeese
8. SELA
9. SFA
10. NSU
11. HBU

1) Nicholls
2) UIW
3) SHSU
4) UCA
5) McNeese
6) Lamar
7) ACU
8) SFA
9) SELA
10) NWST
11) HBU

Outsider1
February 26th, 2019, 12:34 PM
1) Nicholls
2) UIW
3) SHSU
4) UCA
5) McNeese
6) Lamar
7) ACU
8) SFA
9) SELA
10) NWST
11) HBU

Well heck, will throw my one cent in the pot... I think the middle pack will be a mixed coin toss.

1) Nicholls
2) UIW
3) UCA
4) SHSU
5) ACU
6) McNeese
7) Lamar
8) SFA
9) SELA
10) NWST
11) HBU

lionsrking2
February 26th, 2019, 01:16 PM
I like our chances to get back in the top half in 2019. Non-conference schedule is tough but we bring a lot back, will get some guys back healthy and have added some pieces, including defensive coaching staff. The QB competition this spring should be intense.

Outsider1
February 26th, 2019, 01:40 PM
I like our chances to get back in the top half in 2019. Non-conference schedule is tough but we bring a lot back, will get some guys back healthy and have added some pieces, including defensive coaching staff. The QB competition this spring should be intense.

I think you guys have a good shot at jumping a couple of spots.

I think our greatest asset will be our experience and resilience next year. Pretty much every player I have heard from, that had any amount of play time this past year, was talking about taking their game to the next level. If they do that, then the mix of talent we are bringing in at key positions should help us improve. I just don't know how much with stiff SLC competition. I think we finally have enough depth where we can build upon year to year; not just replace.

BEAR
February 26th, 2019, 05:53 PM
I think next year will be a good year for my Bears but here's the issue. Two FBS games usually means two losses. So by my calculations a couple of losses in conference and the Bears are done for the year. I don't see us going undefeated in conference so I think the best we will likely do is second or third in conference. Sixteen returning starters on both sides of the ball, our best recruiting class on paper, really good FBS transfers, our starting QB will be healthy, and the atmosphere in training is focused. That's all great but there is little room for error. We will all know EARLY in the season where we stand.

Wildcat1997
February 26th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Spring practice update: https://youtu.be/fpRB4I-YdvA

Daytripper
February 26th, 2019, 07:45 PM
I think next year will be a good year for my Bears but here's the issue. Two FBS games usually means two losses. So by my calculations a couple of losses in conference and the Bears are done for the year. I don't see us going undefeated in conference so I think the best we will likely do is second or third in conference. Sixteen returning starters on both sides of the ball, our best recruiting class on paper, really good FBS transfers, our starting QB will be healthy, and the atmosphere in training is focused. That's all great but there is little room for error. We will all know EARLY in the season where we stand.

Our hope next season lies in 9 returning starters on each side of the ball, a very experienced (and hopefully healthy) offensive line, continued improvement on defense and (maybe most importantly) a big improvement and comfort level of our sophomore QB Ty Brock.

Outsider1
February 26th, 2019, 08:58 PM
Our hope next season lies in 9 returning starters on each side of the ball, a very experienced (and hopefully healthy) offensive line, continued improvement on defense and (maybe most importantly) a big improvement and comfort level of our sophomore QB Ty Brock.

I am assuming Sammy will make some good improvements to the skills I saw when I went down there for our game. SHSU was down a bit last year, but I definitely saw a lot to work with. I think another year for you guys to put some things together could be interesting.

BEAR
February 26th, 2019, 09:04 PM

I predict UCA and Sammy will be two of the top teams in conference next year...if we can keep our QBs healthy...xlolxNicholls will def. be there too.

Catatonic
February 27th, 2019, 05:06 AM
I think the SLC is wide open. The parity the elite of the conference longed for has arrived. It may not be the blessing you longed for.

Nicholls could win. So could UCA or Sam Houston. Then again, Lamar was arguably the best team in the conference at the end of the season and returns a lot of talent. UIW loses a lot but returns an excellent QB and a coach who has proven he knows how to win. SFA may have a coach who actually knows how to make use of the talent that seems to find its way to Nachadoches. SLU Should not be overlooked.

Then there’s ACU. My early thought. The Cats return 24 players who started at least two games last year, including arguably the best running back and linebacker units in the conference, an experienced QB and leading WR. Dorrel has been patiently building depth. It looks like he’s done what he set out to do. ACU builds on a 6 win season. This team wins 8 games, maybe 9 and is playoff bound.

Daytripper
February 27th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I think the SLC is wide open. The parity the elite of the conference longed for has arrived. It may not be the blessing you longed for.

Nicholls could win. So could UCA or Sam Houston. Then again, Lamar was arguably the best team in the conference at the end of the season and returns a lot of talent. UIW loses a lot but returns an excellent QB and a coach who has proven he knows how to win. SFA may have a coach who actually knows how to make use of the talent that seems to find its way to Nachadoches. SLU Should not be overlooked.

Then there’s ACU. My early thought. The Cats return 24 players who started at least two games last year, including arguably the best running back and linebacker units in the conference, an experienced QB and leading WR. Dorrel has been patiently building depth. It looks like he’s done what he set out to do. ACU builds on a 6 win season. This team wins 8 games, maybe 9 and is playoff bound.

While SHSU has enjoyed its time at the top of the SLC, it is much better for us and for the conference as a whole that we have real competition at the top of the conference. The more elite teams we have makes everybody better.

BEAR
February 27th, 2019, 09:49 AM

You're right about the parity this conference needs. We also need to look at our OOC and get victories there. No point in beating up on each other and collapsing at the feet of OOC foes. Does nothing for getting more teams into the playoffs.

2018 Rushing teams:

RUSHING OFFENSE
G
Att
Yards
Avg.
TD
Yards/G

Nicholls

Lamar

Abilene Christian

Overall YPG Rushing has ACU in third and behind by 80 YPG to Lamar and Nicholls.

Looking at RBS coming back (just by looking at stat leaders class designation):

RUSHING
Cl
G
Att.
Yards
Avg.
TD
Long
Avg/G

GRADUATED
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

Taylor, Dontrel-NICH
JR

Wanza, Myles-LU
SO

Jackson, Kyran-SHSU
SO

McCrary, B.-ACU
JR

Blackman, Carlo-UCA
JR

James, T.-ACU
JR

West, Jared-NSU
JR

Hoy, Jordan-LU
JR

Crossley, Kierr-UCA
SO

I wouldn't say ACU has the best RB unit in the conference....but man they are freakin' good! Unless some of those listed above have left their teams. I would prefer to look at how their Olines did in opening holes for their runs OR how their Olines were hindered by injuries that didn't allow solid run games to develop. For example, UCA lost its starting QB and its backup QB which changed the dynamics of how the Oline blocked for the QB. Different personalities at QB with different styles changes schemes on the fly. A pocket QB like our third string QB needed more blocking than our starting QB who could take off in an instant for yardage. Plus his inexperience required Olinemen to hold blocks longer. Sure it worked against lesser teams but when teams like Lamar and IUW showed up last year, it didn't work. Let's also take into account what new RBs teams have coming in. Transfers and sophomores who have talent that haven't played yet. ACU may well prove to have two of the most solid players at RB in the league in the end, and I'd be more than happy to have them on UCA's squad, but I can't call it this early for them yet. But man they are talented!

As for LB Units with Dbs included. Looking at the total tackles from last year's top 50 at the end of the year: (returning players)

ACU holds positions: 3, 14, 37 and 48. (No Dbs hold a top 50 ranking)
HBU holds positions: 1, 5, 22, 26, (35 & 39 DBs), and 46

ACU is doing REALLY well at that position but I'd give the nod to HBU's returning LBs. Their DBs as shown above aren't too shabby either. xlolx I included DBs because if they are doing their job it forces the run game to come into play. Either the dline gets theirs at that point or if it goes second level then the LBs get theirs.

But ACU has come a long way in developing the program and its causing all the other teams to step up their game. No doubt.

Thoughts?

Outsider1
February 27th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Good post Bear!

Catatonic
February 28th, 2019, 04:31 AM
Dang, Bear, when I said I thought we had “arguably” the best running back and linebacker units in the conference I didn’t imagine you’d take the arguably part so seriously. xdrunkyx

I appreciate your thoughtful analysis though. It’s worthy of a thoughtful response.

Without stating it directly you make a point that I very much agree with. That is, it’s a team game. It’s tough to talk about running backs (or QB’s) without looking at the line they are operating behind. On the other side of the ball, linebackers work in synch with DB’s. I’d add they also work in synch with the D line and the number of tackles by linebackers alone may tell you more about the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of other position groups than about the quality of linebackers.

I’d also agree with your point that whatever is true now may not be true in the fall as fresh faces shown up on campus.

That said, one way of looking at a team is position group by position group. And we can only look at where teams are at this moment in time.

I mentioned two position groups, rb and lb. I’ll focus on RB and leave LB for another day. You cite rushing stats to show that while ACU’s two running backs are very good, taken together they aren’t as good as either Nicholls or Lamar.

I’d argue that rushing yards alone are misleading. In a balanced offense running backs are expected to catch the ball as well as run. As such, All purpose yards may be a more pertinent metric than rushing alone.

Three players from ACU, and Nicholls were among the stat leaders in all purpose yards. No player from Lamar was included.

Dontrell Taylor from Nicholls was 8th. James was 9th and McCrary 10th.

James and McCrary combined for 1928 total yards. Taylor accounted for 1190 total yards. I mentioned strength of the position group so I will add in ACU freshman Tyrese White’s 176 yards and ACU running backs accounted for over 2000 yards in a balanced offense.

One additional point. ACU led the conference in fewest sacks allowed. Most of the credit goes to an improved offensive line, but running backs as blockers are also a vital part of protection and ours do a good job of blocking.

You may well be right. Nicholls and Lamar may have better running back groups but I would not trade our backs for anyone else’s backs. And I think the stats I cited back up my confidence in them.

BEAR
February 28th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Dang, Bear, when I said I thought we had “arguably” the best running back and linebacker units in the conference I didn’t imagine you’d take the arguably part so seriously. xdrunkyx

I appreciate your thoughtful analysis though. It’s worthy of a thoughtful response.

Without stating it directly you make a point that I very much agree with. That is, it’s a team game. It’s tough to talk about running backs (or QB’s) without looking at the line they are operating behind. On the other side of the ball, linebackers work in synch with DB’s. I’d add they also work in synch with the D line and the number of tackles by linebackers alone may tell you more about the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of other position groups than about the quality of linebackers.

I’d also agree with your point that whatever is true now may not be true in the fall as fresh faces shown up on campus.

That said, one way of looking at a team is position group by position group. And we can only look at where teams are at this moment in time.

I mentioned two position groups, rb and lb. I’ll focus on RB and leave LB for another day. You cite rushing stats to show that while ACU’s two running backs are very good, taken together they aren’t as good as either Nicholls or Lamar.

I’d argue that rushing yards alone are misleading. In a balanced offense running backs are expected to catch the ball as well as run. As such, All purpose yards may be a more pertinent metric than rushing alone.

Three players from ACU, and Nicholls were among the stat leaders in all purpose yards. No player from Lamar was included.

Dontrell Taylor from Nicholls was 8th. James was 9th and McCrary 10th.

James and McCrary combined for 1928 total yards. Taylor accounted for 1190 total yards. I mentioned strength of the position group so I will add in ACU freshman Tyrese White’s 176 yards and ACU running backs accounted for over 2000 yards in a balanced offense.

One additional point. ACU led the conference in fewest sacks allowed. Most of the credit goes to an improved offensive line, but running backs as blockers are also a vital part of protection and ours do a good job of blocking.

You may well be right. Nicholls and Lamar may have better running back groups but I would not trade our backs for anyone else’s backs. And I think the stats I cited back up my confidence in them.

xlolx I only posted it to start discussions. I was only basing it off total yards at the end of the year for the RB groups from each school. Nothing more. I didn't look at how many yards each caught passing. I did bring up the point about Oline play because when the QB changes it forces the Oline to change it's plans too..and that includes RBs. When we lost our two starting QBs in game 4 against SHSU there was no way we could expect our third string QB to do what our starters could do the rest of the year. Proof: Our third down conversion rate last year was 30%. We even had two games where we went 0 for 10 on third down! That means 70% of the time UCA had two downs to get a first down. Just too tough to ask an oline or RBs to bail you out every game with 7 games left in the season. Fans knew it. But still we lost to SAM by 3 in OT and McNeese by 2 and were actually in the game with UIW until mid 4th qtr. So overall not bad for what we had left that year.

ACU should be proud of how far they've come. New facilities and better recruiting. When UCA fans look at ACU games they say it's gonna be a fight and that the Cats have gotten so much better. No more bottom dwelling. The final record will show that in time. Just don't play Ave Maria anymore. xlolx

BEAR
February 28th, 2019, 10:33 AM
BIG news for UCA football:

BROOKINGS, S.D. – Feb. 28, 2019 – Daktronics (http://www.daktronics.com/) (NASDAQ-DAKT) of Brookings, South Dakota, has been asked by University of Central Arkansas to design, manufacture and install a new LED video display at Estes Stadium in Conway, Arkansas. The 1,944-square-foot video scoreboard will inform and entertain Bears fans at football games in 2019.

The new LED technology will measure 36 feet high by 54 feet wide and will feature a 15HD pixel layout to show crisp, clear imagery to every seat in the stadium. The display will feature industry-leading environmental protection from the outdoor elements and superior brightness to cut through direct sunlight on game days.

https://www.daktronics.com/news/Pages/Daktronics-To-Install-New-LED-Video-Display-at-First-Security-Field-at-Estes-Stadium-for-University-of-Central-Arkansas.aspx

https://www.daktronics.com/SiteCollectionImages/News%20Release%20Images/CentralArkansasSt2019.jpg

Daytripper
March 1st, 2019, 07:13 AM
BIG news for UCA football:

BROOKINGS, S.D. – Feb. 28, 2019 – Daktronics (http://www.daktronics.com/) (NASDAQ-DAKT) of Brookings, South Dakota, has been asked by University of Central Arkansas to design, manufacture and install a new LED video display at Estes Stadium in Conway, Arkansas. The 1,944-square-foot video scoreboard will inform and entertain Bears fans at football games in 2019.

The new LED technology will measure 36 feet high by 54 feet wide and will feature a 15HD pixel layout to show crisp, clear imagery to every seat in the stadium. The display will feature industry-leading environmental protection from the outdoor elements and superior brightness to cut through direct sunlight on game days.

https://www.daktronics.com/news/Pages/Daktronics-To-Install-New-LED-Video-Display-at-First-Security-Field-at-Estes-Stadium-for-University-of-Central-Arkansas.aspx

https://www.daktronics.com/SiteCollectionImages/News%20Release%20Images/CentralArkansasSt2019.jpg

That is awesome!

Serpentor
March 1st, 2019, 07:28 AM

Wildcard: UNO gets a football team and smokes all of us!

BEAR
March 1st, 2019, 08:03 AM
That is awesome!

Doesnt compare to SFA or ACUs monsters but its an improvement. I think its funny they show us playing ACU or SFA, wearing our now old Adidas unis, and the scoreboard says we're beating UNH. xlolx What I do like about it is the fact it's edge to edge video. No more fixed ads on the side. Full screen always gives you the option to add those and change those throughout the game.

Outsider1
March 1st, 2019, 08:39 AM
Doesnt compare to SFA or ACUs monsters but its an improvement. I think its funny they show us playing ACU or SFA, wearing our now old Adidas unis, and the scoreboard says we're beating UNH. xlolx What I do like about it is the fact it's edge to edge video. No more fixed ads on the side. Full screen always gives you the option to add those and change those throughout the game.

That is funny. I wonder who these companies get to do the promo graphics?? Congrats on the video board though. It looks cool.

***I had to go back to the 2015 roster to find #32 on offense for us. IF correct, that would be Byron Proctor, a FR WR for us back then.***

Daytripper
March 1st, 2019, 09:45 AM

I'm guessing the one who designed this graphic is an alum of Delaware or JMU...:D

Outsider1
March 1st, 2019, 10:34 AM
I'm guessing the one who designed this graphic is an alum of Delaware or JMU...:D

xhighfivex

BEAR
March 1st, 2019, 11:57 AM

Even stranger... BROOKINGS, S.D. – Feb. 28, 2019 – Daktronics (http://www.daktronics.com/) (NASDAQ-DAKT) of Brookings, South Dakota, has been asked by University of Central Arkansas

katss07
March 2nd, 2019, 05:30 PM
Wow, the board looks great. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the rest of the conference. Funny it says they’re beating UNH...ouch.

NDSUtk
March 3rd, 2019, 10:30 AM
Even stranger... BROOKINGS, S.D. – Feb. 28, 2019 – Daktronics (http://www.daktronics.com/) (NASDAQ-DAKT) of Brookings, South Dakota, has been asked by University of Central Arkansas Daktronics is the leader in scoreboards and digital displays. It is pretty impressive for a company in little ol' Brookings but they are damn good at this. They have been ranked number 1 every year for almost 20 years. Mercedes Benz stadium where the super bowl was has Daktronics in it.

POD Knows
March 3rd, 2019, 11:21 AM
Daktronics is the leader in scoreboards and digital displays. It is pretty impressive for a company in little ol' Brookings but they are damn good at this. They have been ranked number 1 every year for almost 20 years. Mercedes Benz stadium where the super bowl was has Daktronics in it.The Fargo Dome got their video boards from there, they do quality work.

Daytripper
March 4th, 2019, 04:57 PM
I think they did our board also.... I don't imagine there is a whole lot of competition in this field.

BEAR
March 6th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Gonna go get a little off-season inspiration from football great Lou Holtz this week at UCA. The man can talk. I've had the opportunity to speak with him a few other times. He's a regular around here as he's invited to so many things. He's never forgotten my name even after years of not saying hello. Just awesome with how many people he meets.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1099767186359488517https://twitter.com/ucareynolds/status/1099767186359488517

Outsider1
March 6th, 2019, 03:08 PM
Daktronics did our new board.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30216&stc=1

Outsider1
March 8th, 2019, 08:32 AM
How are Spring practices going for everyone else in the SLC? So far it seems that many of us who have had a chance to watch the Wildcats practice like what we see. We are seeing room for improvement, but we are also seeing better depth at most positions and wider potential than last year at this point. This early it is always hard to make projections, but I think we will be doing our part to improve the Southland anyway. I have been able to make several of the practices . I like what I see so far out of our new defensive coach Brown. I can't say much about what he did at SDSU, but it looks to me like he is teaching some more aggressive techniques and skills with our defense. It will be interesting to watch it play out. We lost several receivers from last year; Fuller to graduation and couple of others to attrition. Still, the others have stepped up and new ones are fitting in well. McConnell came in from Liberty and I think he will fit right in where Fuller was just fine. I would like to see them progress more, but we will have enough targets. Our running backs are looking really good. McCrary is looking really healthy and strong. By the end of last season he still had some speed, but had lost a little of his agility and bursting ability due to some injury. Tracy James and Tyrese White are both doing great things as well. You will see a continued mixing of their different skill sets. Our new incoming freshman back will be J. Anderson from Longview. We are thinking he will fill a FB/HB role that will give the offense more punch. How many games he actually plays in his first year will be interesting. We wanted his receiver partner in crime, Perry, but he decided on UIW. I know he will do good things there. We continue to see a lot of rotation on the OL like we started doing last year. I think this kept us healthier by the end of the season and should do the same in 2019. So far we are seeing a steady progression in the OL anyway. I am still trying to gauge the TE play before having much opinion. We lost one of our best in Cody Ennis to graduation. Today is our first scrimmage of the Spring. Hopefully I can go watch a little of it.

BEAR
March 8th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Dang.....xlolx

https://twitter.com/TKaleGober/status/1103825735599443968

McNeese72
March 8th, 2019, 12:43 PM
How are Spring practices going for everyone else in the SLC?

Not Spring yet here. ;)

Doc

Outsider1
March 8th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Not Spring yet here. ;)

DocWell it depends on the day here 😉 Many of the trees and plants here thought it was until a couple of days ago. But right back to the shorts today....

lionsrking2
March 9th, 2019, 07:34 AM
Starts Tuesday for us

SFA 93
March 12th, 2019, 05:47 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1ZSWEJWwAAziDE.jpg
SFA gets another OL man

OL: Jack York 6-6; 300 Dallas, Texas (1st Baptist Academy/Minnesota) (R/Fr.) *** #98 OT
Offers from Minnesota, San Diego State, Texas State, Abilene Christian, Arkansas State, Army, Boise State, Bowling Green, Brown, Columbia, Duke, Harvard, UIW, McNeese State, Liberty, UMass, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico State, North Texas, Northern Colorado, Oregon, UPenn, Princeton, Sam Houston State, Texas Tech, Southern Miss, Tulane, UCLA, Tulsa, Yale