PDA

View Full Version : ACU D-coordinator leaves for Texas State

Laker
January 22nd, 2019, 07:48 PM
Tremaine Jackson, who formerly coached at the University of Sioux Falls, is leaving Abilene Christian to go to Texas State

https://ktxs.com/sports/college-sports/acu-defensive-coordinator-leaving-for-job-at-texas-state

Outsider1
January 22nd, 2019, 08:02 PM
He has been wanting to be a HC for a while. He applied for the job at A&M Commerce before. I am sorry we were a pit-stop for him. He is a great coach and most of us feel he could have done a lot better than TX State. We know we can throw lots of replacement names in the pot, but what happens, only the coaches know......

What bothers me is a guy that came into ACU with a high expectation of results and dedication leaves so fast. His main teaching was, "It is what it is...and it costs what it costs!" Well, I have no clue what it was, but the cost turned out to be squat for me because he didn't give enough of his time to us to make his lesson very valuable. His players liked him and most of us try to wish him well. I have mixed feelings....

Laker
January 22nd, 2019, 08:15 PM
I have mixed feelings....

He did a really good job at USF. I met him at a playoff game there. The Cougars were really tough for MSU to play against even though we have only lost once to them. It was well known that he was in a hurry to move up.

Outsider1
January 22nd, 2019, 08:25 PM
He did a great job with our defense in two years. We weren't a top nationally ranked defense, but we had made huge strides from where we were and he was liked. I know coach changes are a massive part of college football, heck...even HS football, but I wish I could see what a guy like him could do if he actually put in the time somewhere. I kinda think he ended up not practicing what he preached as far as attitude and culture in the long run.

***My biggest hopoe is that Dorrel seems like a HC willing to put in the time and will only replace him with someone he thinks will do as good a job or better.***

McNeese75
January 22nd, 2019, 10:41 PM
Texas State is a pretty poor stepping stone if he is using that to try and get a HC position. Might backfire on him.

Daytripper
January 23rd, 2019, 09:01 AM
Texas State is a pretty poor stepping stone if he is using that to try and get a HC position. Might backfire on him.

He's putting his faith and career in the hands of Jake Spavital....

Outsider1
January 23rd, 2019, 10:08 AM
Most of us are thinking the same thing about TX St. I think another two years or so at ACU and he would have had much better opportunities. I will be interested to see what progress he can make there. Like I said, he is a good coach. I don't know enough about the rest of the staff and admin surrounding the program down there; but... I am cautious to say that the TX St. football culture has changed much. I still remember when they were FCS and we were DII and we went down there and stomped them. Their FBS days haven't been much better and I don't think it is just the players... Jackson's job just got a lot harder......

Derby City Duke
January 23rd, 2019, 10:37 AM
He's putting his faith and career in the hands of Jake Spavital....

Would be hard-pressed to do worse than Everett Withers...

3rd Coast Tiger
January 24th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Great guy! Knew him very well from his days at Texas Southern. Best of luck Coach T!!!

FormerPokeCenter
January 24th, 2019, 01:08 PM
No offense ACU fans, but you dodged a bullet.

Any body who sees Texas State as a chance at career advancement is an idiot and - thus - not smart enough to be your DC! ;)

Daytripper
January 24th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Would be hard-pressed to do worse than Everett Withers...

This is true. It is very possible that Spavital will turn that program around. The potential is there. It's a large student body, nice facilities, and situated in arguably the sweetest location in the Texas.