PDA

View Full Version : CCSU looking for a new head coach

aceinthehole
January 22nd, 2019, 09:00 AM
Central Connecticut head coach Pete Rossamando has taken a position as Offensive Line Coach at Rutgers.

CCSU will start a search for a new coach immediately.

Professor Chaos
January 22nd, 2019, 09:08 AM
Seems like a gamble by Coach Rossomando. The reason that spot is open is because NDSU hired away their previous O-line coach AJ Blazek to coach O-line at NDSU. Coaches don't just drop from the Big Ten to the same position at an FCS school for the hell of it. The rumor was that Coach Ash (and his staff) may be on the way out without a significant turnaround next year. In his 3 years there Rutgers is 7-29 including 1-11 last year. Of course that's just hearsay and it could easily be that Blazek wasn't a good fit there but hopefully Coach Rossomando doesn't find himself having to apply for a new job again next year.

clenz
January 22nd, 2019, 09:24 AM
Blazek was encouraged to seek employment opportunities elsewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
January 22nd, 2019, 09:40 AM
Blazek was encouraged to seek employment opportunities elsewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
And I heard differently. Regardless, I think Coach Ash may be told by Rutgers to look elsewhere for employment with another 1 or 2 win season this upcoming year.

aceinthehole
January 22nd, 2019, 10:44 AM
Coach Ross wanted out of CCSU and he got a raise. It's a step up and raise for him. Also, it is probably a better fit for him as a position coach.

He was on the short list at Fordham last year after our NEC Championship season.

He is leaving New Britain without really rebuilding the program. He had a losing record in 4 out of 5 years and lost almost all of our FCS non-conference games, an was 0-2 vs. Lafayette. His first win was a huge upset of #13 Towson in 2014 and did very little after that.

Sure, we made the playoffs in 2017 by the skin of our teeth over Duquesne, but then he benched our QB for the game at UNH.

Not sure how well we fill this vacancy this late. I think we would have been in a much better position if we did this back in December.

Will be interesting to see who emerges on our shirt list this time.

The Boogie Down
January 22nd, 2019, 11:25 AM
Will be interesting to see who emerges on our shirt list this time.
Replacing Rossamando w/Blazek seems like a good trade.

aceinthehole
January 23rd, 2019, 09:02 PM
Ryan McCarthy, CCSU's offensive coordinator, has been named interim head coach for the Blue Devils 2019 season.

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20190123i9grpk

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 23rd, 2019, 09:08 PM
Ryan McCarthy, CCSU's offensive coordinator, has been named interim head coach for the Blue Devils 2019 season.

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20190123i9grpk

Did they basically figure continuity was more important than bringing in a whole new staff? I could see that especially if McCarthy is considered a true long term candidate.

This makes the Bucknell situation all the more curious. It's going to be February! Spring practice is not far away!!

aceinthehole
January 23rd, 2019, 09:32 PM
Did they basically figure continuity was more important than bringing in a whole new staff? I could see that especially if McCarthy is considered a true long term candidate.

This makes the Bucknell situation all the more curious. It's going to be February! Spring practice is not far away!!

Unfortunately, I think this might be a budgetary move. We waited for 6-months for the 2016 FY to end before we started a National search for an AD.

First, absolutely makes sense to name McCarthy interim for day-to-day operations and off-season continuity. We will certainly conduct a nation search for a coach, I'm just not sure when.

I'm not sure if we are being cheap, or if more details will come out in the coming weeks.

Seems crazy to have an interim HC for 1-year. That will probably set the program back a little more than we need.

ngineer
January 23rd, 2019, 09:41 PM

Maybe they'll just let their basketball and lacrosse coaches share the coaching duties. After all, they are two of the most successful programs at Bucky.

UNHWildcat18
January 24th, 2019, 12:14 AM
nothing is going right for CT football lol, except for Yale maybe

aceinthehole
January 24th, 2019, 03:47 PM
“In order to do a full hire at the state level, there is a long process and the football coach at CCSU is not an exception,” Barrio said. “If we were to do a full search, we wouldn’t have a coach until March and that wouldn’t be feasible for the program. There was a reason why we put Ryan in place. We have a great staff and players here. Pete was here and he did a great job, but at the same time, Pete didn’t do this on his own and these coaches are all still here and we want to keep it going. There’s not a reason to blow it up.”

http://www.bristolpress.com/BP-CCSU/343306/ccsu-football-names-offensive-coordinator-ryan-mccarthy-as-interim-head-coach