PDA

View Full Version : Five Things to Help FCS

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Cross-posted on the Lounge Board (#2000). Evey 1,000 posts or so, I come up with five suggestions to improve FCS. Here's my latest installment:

Currently I'm working on an extensive analysis of the Patriot League for College Sporting News. It's taken me more than a month - let's just say it's the "Good Vibrations" in my crazy Brian Wilson-esque writing career so far - and I'm hoping to have it ready soon.

It not only will go into the internal workings of the Patriot League, but also touch on the Ivy League's workings as well, since at its inception, the Patriot League was administered very similar fashion to the Ivy League. It's a complex subject, to put it mildly, and I'm following a lot of writers in this territory... John Feinstein... Chris Lincoln... Bil Bowen... Who knows, it may even follow my OWN book on the subject someday... I'm just waiting for Lehigh's football team to catch up with my narrative.

To close 2,000, I'll end it with five things that would help FCS immensely.

1. Find a way to put all the great rivalries into "Rivalry Week" the week before Thanksgiving. Let the FBS teams play their rivalries after Thanksgiving; stage all the FCS rivalries Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and maybe even Sunday. More than anything this would help the FCS brand - and it would probably help all of college football, too.

2. Find a way to get the SWAC and Ivy League into the playoffs. For the SWAC, putting those final classics in "Rivalry Week" would help immensely. As for the Ivies, I'd simply put immense pressure on them to join up - advertise in student newspapers, whater it takes. Get it done - it's good for FCS, but more importantly, even better for the Ivy league. (Save the Ivy League from itself!)

3. Expand the playoffs, but regionalize autobids. It sounds unfair, but have a committee determine four autobids, regardless of conference, from the east, south, midwest and west. Then determine eight national at-large bids from the remaining conferences, voted on by all the regionalization committees. I think that actually gives more chances for everyone to make the playoffs regardless of region.

4. If the America Channel is really interested in getting folks interested in FCS football, they'll give Ralph his own weekly show. TV show, that is. I picture an Al TV/Pirate radio situation... "Do not adjust that dial! Pirate FCS TV is on the air! Arrrrrr!!"

5. Finally, the best thing that you, an FCS fan, can do is consume as much FCS football as possible during the season and offseason. Nothing will speak more than ratings to the TV folks, and by all means watch the FCS championship game in Chatty. If we watch it, they will come. I firmly believe that.

Go AGS, and go FCS!

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I love suggestion number one... I have never understood why asu plays wcu not on the last week

813Jag
April 11th, 2007, 10:09 AM
xtwocentsx
2. Find a way to get the SWAC and Ivy League into the playoffs. For the SWAC, putting those final classics in "Rivalry Week" would help immensely. As for the Ivies, I'd simply put immense pressure on them to join up - advertise in student newspapers, whater it takes. Get it done - it's good for FCS, but more importantly, even better for the Ivy league. (Save the Ivy League from itself!)

Good Stuff, I'll speak on the bolded portion:
#1 The SWAC would have to do away with the SWAC Championship game to get a true representative in the playoffs. It'll be a RARE case if the second place team in either division would have a good enough record for consideration. The only time I can think that would have been possible was 2003, and even then those two teams (Southern and Grambling) couldn't go because of the Bayou Classic.
#2 The Turkey Day Classic and the Bayou Classic being moved is a sticky situation. Moving up one week wouldn't hurt but people have been conditioned to having those games around thanksgiving.
#3 The SWAC needs to STEP UP and improve the product that is placed on the field. This includes scheduling and coaching. I think the hiring of Coach Comegy (Jackson St) and Coach Broadway (Grambling) could go a long way in helping this. Coach Jones at Alabama A&M is doing a great job building the program there. I think everyone knows the scheduling situation. I would like to see scheduling return to the 1990's-early 2000's where the SWAC participated in better out of conference games. The end of the nine game mandate is key and the ADs need to start thinking out of the box.
#4 SWAC administration is poor and until the leadership gets it's act in shape there is no way this league will prosper.
Just my xtwocentsx

PapaBear
April 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM
All great suggestions, LFN. But in my opinion, the "thing" that would "help" FCS football more than anything is to beat FBS teams on a more regular basis. Until we're seen as "high-level competition," we'll continue to be treated as "second-rate, filler-game competition." And as long as we're treated that way, we'll continue to get minimal respect from the college football community at large.

I love this board and I totally respect everyone on here. But it blows my mind that so few people on here talk openly about this stark reality: We must "help" ourselves, and the best (not the only, but the BEST) way to do that is to beat FBS teams on a regular basis.

I know, I know ...

xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex

Don't shoot the messenger.

youwouldno
April 11th, 2007, 10:52 AM
FCS teams can never beat FBS teams at a high rate because the FCS team is always on the road. By itself that's a huge handicap. Besides it doesn't matter... even mid-major FBS are seen as inferior competition for BCS football fans.

I disagree with changing the autobids and doing it by region is particularly nonsensical. It would be helpful to get the SWAC and Ivies into the playoffs and, if that happened, I might even consider playoff expansion a viable option.

dbackjon
April 11th, 2007, 11:20 AM
3. Expand the playoffs, but regionalize autobids. It sounds unfair, but have a committee determine four autobids, regardless of conference, from the east, south, midwest and west. Then determine eight national at-large bids from the remaining conferences, voted on by all the regionalization committees. I think that actually gives more chances for everyone to make the playoffs regardless of region.

Then why even have conferences? This proposal is the weakest of the 5. You do realize that in years like last year, under your proposal, the Patriot League would have not gotten anyone in the playoffs, which to me would be a shame. And how do you define the regions? Would Maine/UNH be in the East, while W & M, Richmond, etc be in the South?

The ONLY tweak the playoffs need is expansion when and if another conference is playing at a scholarship level on par with the rest. The NEC is getting there (but need to get to at least 45 schollies), or if the IVY or SWAC decided to participate in the playoffs, or if the Big South become AQ eligible. Otherwise, the playoffs as currently formatted, are GREAT.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Then why even have conferences? This proposal is the weakest of the 5. You do realize that in years like last year, under your proposal, the Patriot League would have not gotten anyone in the playoffs, which to me would be a shame. And how do you define the regions? Would Maine/UNH be in the East, while W & M, Richmond, etc be in the South?

The ONLY tweak the playoffs need is expansion when and if another conference is playing at a scholarship level on par with the rest. The NEC is getting there (but need to get to at least 45 schollies), or if the IVY or SWAC decided to participate in the playoffs, or if the Big South become AQ eligible. Otherwise, the playoffs as currently formatted, are GREAT.

Fair points all. And I love the autobids as they stand now, too. But sooner or later, the model is going to bust apart. Something's going to happen - either a breakup of the CAA, the NEC getting to 45 schollies, the Big South or GWFC getting big enough, the Ivy/SWAC getting on board - that will cause the model to break apart.

Furthermore, if the number of eligible conferences explodes, something's going to have to change, and the removal of autobids could very well be it. There are currently 15 conferences with 8 autobids. Two choose to not participate (SWAC/Ivy). One has petitioned and been declined (NEC). Three are too small to qualify (GWFC/MAAC/BSC). And one is eligible and has not decided to pursue an autobid (PFL). Potentially, there are 15 autobids out there (granted, not likely) - and possibly a 16th if a "new Yankee conference" forms. If this were to happen (again, very unlikely), you'd have to go to 32 teams.

dbackjon
April 11th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Fair points all. And I love the autobids as they stand now, too. But sooner or later, the model is going to bust apart. Something's going to happen - either a breakup of the CAA, the NEC getting to 45 schollies, the Big South or GWFC getting big enough, the Ivy/SWAC getting on board - that will cause the model to break apart.

Furthermore, if the number of eligible conferences explodes, something's going to have to change, and the removal of autobids could very well be it. There are currently 15 conferences with 8 autobids. Two choose to not participate (SWAC/Ivy). One has petitioned and been declined (NEC). Three are too small to qualify (GWFC/MAAC/BSC). And one is eligible and has not decided to pursue an autobid (PFL). Potentially, there are 15 autobids out there (granted, not likely) - and possibly a 16th if a "new Yankee conference" forms. If this were to happen (again, very unlikely), you'd have to go to 32 teams.

We can cross that bridge when we get there - 15 auto-bids is a LONG ways away. If the CAA ever splits, the new conference (AE) would likely grab the best of the NEC, since some of the top NEC teams are AE members in other sports.

We know that as it stands now, in 2010 the Big South (or BSoC - BSC is the BIG SKY CONFERENCE) will be auto-bid eligible. The NEC is making strides, and at current rate of improvement, will be primed for a serious auto-bid consideration by then, if not in 2008/9. At that point, I think expansion is inevitable. Conferences are NOT going to give up their auto-bids.

JDC325
April 11th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Move the title game to a Saturday!!!!

Cobblestone
April 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Cross-posted on the Lounge Board (#2000). Evey 1,000 posts or so, I come up with five suggestions to improve FCS. Here's my latest installment:

Currently I'm working on an extensive analysis of the Patriot League for College Sporting News. It's taken me more than a month - let's just say it's the "Good Vibrations" in my crazy Brian Wilson-esque writing career so far - and I'm hoping to have it ready soon.

It not only will go into the internal workings of the Patriot League, but also touch on the Ivy League's workings as well, since at its inception, the Patriot League was administered very similar fashion to the Ivy League. It's a complex subject, to put it mildly, and I'm following a lot of writers in this territory... John Feinstein... Chris Lincoln... Bil Bowen... Who knows, it may even follow my OWN book on the subject someday... I'm just waiting for Lehigh's football team to catch up with my narrative.

To close 2,000, I'll end it with five things that would help FCS immensely.

1. Find a way to put all the great rivalries into "Rivalry Week" the week before Thanksgiving. Let the FBS teams play their rivalries after Thanksgiving; stage all the FCS rivalries Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and maybe even Sunday. More than anything this would help the FCS brand - and it would probably help all of college football, too.

4. If the America Channel is really interested in getting folks interested in FCS football, they'll give Ralph his own weekly show. TV show, that is. I picture an Al TV/Pirate radio situation... "Do not adjust that dial! Pirate FCS TV is on the air! Arrrrrr!!"

5. Finally, the best thing that you, an FCS fan, can do is consume as much FCS football as possible during the season and offseason. Nothing will speak more than ratings to the TV folks, and by all means watch the FCS championship game in Chatty. If we watch it, they will come. I firmly believe that.

Go AGS, and go FCS!

A few comments.

on # 1. I love the idea. I don't know about the Sunday part but I do like the idea of rivalry games starting Thanksgiving night and going the entire Thanksgiving weekend.

on # 2. I agree but I doubt the Ivies would budge on this.

on #3. I have stated before that ALL conference champions should get an autobid.

on #4. Fine as long as he sticks to football and opens the show with a Kraftwerk song played to some FCS highlight film footage. If he starts some political agenda then cancel him.

on #5. I agree but I think it is important to attend FCS games. More fannies in the seats could bring in camera crews.

All in all some very good suggestions. xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
April 11th, 2007, 12:15 PM

The Patriot league is as guilty as anyone about this. They always protect Lehigh-Lafayette on Week 11 but the other schools are thrown into a hat. Of course, it's also worth discussion on why the PL won't pursue a conference-wide TV or radio package either, largely to protect the home grown TV rights of these two schools.

2. Find a way to get the SWAC and Ivy League into the playoffs.

The I-AA playoffs don't mean anything to the Ivy leadership. It is like the days Notre Dame won multiple national championships without accepting bowl bids--ND didn't start accepting bids until 1970. As long as there is no incentive for the Ivies, they won't go.

Every NCAA-eligible conference should get an autobid. This might encourage more schools to add/revive football if they felt they could actually compete for a title.

4. If the America Channel is really interested in getting folks interested in FCS football, they'll give Ralph his own weekly show.

The America Channel sounds a lot like the Football Network--a good idea without any hope of getting on the air.

Want to build interest outside the two schools? Move the I-AA title game around and make it a destination even like other NCAA title games.

Mr. C
April 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM
A few comments.

on #4. Fine as long as he sticks to football and opens the show with a Kraftwerk song played to some FCS highlight film footage. If he starts some political agenda then cancel him.
xthumbsupx
Have you EVER listened to FCS Waves? If so, you would know that the only politics that Ralph evers talks about is the politics of football. Give me a break.

carney2
April 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Always enjoy your posts. It boggles the mind how truly great these things would be if you had received a decent education.

On to my point here. It involves your item number 3 (see above). I'm not sure that I see your proposal for expanding the playoffs. What I get from your post is

4 "autobids" determined by committee. I am assuming that these are the regional autobids to which you refer.

PLUS

8 national at-large bids.

PLUS

Well, here's where I begin to lose contact. Are you saying that the current 8 conference autobids would remain intact, thereby giving us a playoff scenario that involves 20 teams? If no, then what? If yes, then you obviously have some sort of a seeding system in mind that forces the lower seeded teams to play in week one (Thanksgiving weekend) while the other teams (probably 12 in total) get a week one bye.

BullsFanatic
April 11th, 2007, 12:28 PM
A lot of good suggestions on this thread. I think one not mentioned, and perhaps the most perplexing, is trying to narrow the gap between FBS and FCS. PapaBear suggested beating FBS teams more often (which certainly helps), but there has to be more than that. The BEST way is to have an equal amount of scholarships and support as that of FBS teams.

There are three serious problems with attaining this. One, getting up to 85 scholarships is no easy feat. It would probably take a meeting of the minds, trying to bring 85 and 68 together to a number of say, 75. Of course, that would take a lot of compromise and pressure on FBS schools. Two, you don't want to get caught in an arms race. This is a problem that plagues a number of FBS schools, and it would only hurt FCS teams and their universities to try and get caught in this. Three, you have to have loyalty from your teams. If you do have an equal amount of scholarships as FBS, some teams are going to say, "...well why don't we go to FBS?". It would take a lot of cohesion among FCS teams to accomplish this.

youwouldno
April 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM
The whole difference between FBS and FCS is scholarships. Without that, there are no subdivisions. That's not literally true, in the sense that big FBS programs have huge resources across the board, but in the rules sense its true, since the attendance rules are ignored.

What would be helpful is if all FCS programs were fully funded, rather than the current hodge-podge of partial funding and non-funding.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Are you saying that the current 8 conference autobids would remain intact, thereby giving us a playoff scenario that involves 20 teams? If no, then what? If yes, then you obviously have some sort of a seeding system in mind that forces the lower seeded teams to play in week one (Thanksgiving weekend) while the other teams (probably 12 in total) get a week one bye.

I'm saying have four automatic teams (not conference-specific) elected regionally based on eligibilty. No conference autobids at all (which would mean, under my system, that a 6-5 Lehigh or Lafayette wouldn't go... but neither would a 6-5 Delaware, Towson, McNeese State or UMass either if they won their conference), but the four top regional teams.

For fun, let me take the GPI at the end of the season and take a stab at the "autobids" under my system:

East:
UMass, JMU, New Hampshire, Towson (normally this would be a PL school)

South:
App State, Furman, Wofford, Coastal

Midwest:
Youngstown State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa (unusually strong Gateway this year)

West:
Montana, Portland State, Cal Poly, Montana State

Eight remaining at-large teams:
San Diego
Hampton
Tenn-Martin
Eastern Illinois
McNeese State
Monmouth
Chuck South
South Carolina State

carney2
April 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM
The Patriot league is as guilty as anyone about this. They always protect Lehigh-Lafayette on Week 11 but the other schools are thrown into a hat. Of course, it's also worth discussion on why the PL won't pursue a conference-wide TV or radio package either, largely to protect the home grown TV rights of these two schools.

Whodathunk?!! Ye and me in agreement on something.

The PL should be doing more to promote a "rivalry weekend." Bucknell-Colgate looks like a natural to me. Unfortunately, that leaves 3 schools on the outside looking in. On the other hand, they are all church related and one would think that something "obvious" would come of this.

The TV problem is not so easy to fix. At the moment Lehigh has all of their home games televised, plus "special" road games. Actually, In 2006 I believe that only one of their games, home or away, was not available on TV in some form or another (not necessarily on their regular "network," however). Lafayette televises all of its games: home, away, playoffs, whatever. I know that after, I believe, 5 years of seeing every game, I would be a very unhappy camper if my Pards were playing at, let's say, Colgate and the Patriot League TV Network was showing Holy Cross-Bucknell as my only available game. You bring up a valid and interesting point, however.

Cobblestone
April 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Have you EVER listened to FCS Waves? If so, you would know that the only politics that Ralph evers talks about is the politics of football. Give me a break.

No I haven't but since he keeps politics out of it and sticks to football I hope he stays on the air. It sounds like a great show.

Do have a link to it that you could provide?

PeacockRaider
April 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM
The PL should be doing more to promote a "rivalry weekend." Bucknell-Colgate looks like a natural to me.

Rivalry week sounds like a great idea, however, i don't see Colgate-Bucknell as much of a rivalry. Maybe other gate fans would disagree, games i would consider rivals would be Lehigh, just on the fact they have been the two top dogs for so long, and out of conference Cornell and UMass.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I'm saying have four automatic teams (not conference-specific) elected regionally based on eligibilty. No conference autobids at all (which would mean, under my system, that a 6-5 Lehigh or Lafayette wouldn't go... but neither would a 6-5 Delaware, Towson, McNeese State or UMass either if they won their conference), but the four top regional teams.

For fun, let me take the GPI at the end of the season and take a stab at the "autobids" under my system:

East:
UMass, JMU, New Hampshire, Towson (normally this would be a PL school)

South:
App State, Furman, Wofford, Coastal

Midwest:
Youngstown State, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa (unusually strong Gateway this year)

West:
Montana, Portland State, Cal Poly, Montana State

Eight remaining at-large teams:
San Diego
Hampton
Tenn-Martin
Eastern Illinois
McNeese State
Monmouth
Chuck South
South Carolina State
I dont like that system because it hurts certain schools and helps others... look at the west... there is only one and a half conferences out there... they would get more bids proportionitly

lizrdgizrd
April 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM
We can cross that bridge when we get there - 15 auto-bids is a LONG ways away. If the CAA ever splits, the new conference (AE) would likely grab the best of the NEC, since some of the top NEC teams are AE members in other sports.

We know that as it stands now, in 2010 the Big South (or BSoC - BSC is the BIG SKY CONFERENCE) will be auto-bid eligible. The NEC is making strides, and at current rate of improvement, will be primed for a serious auto-bid consideration by then, if not in 2008/9. At that point, I think expansion is inevitable. Conferences are NOT going to give up their auto-bids.
I think it would be good for the FCS to force conferences to accept the fact that their autobids are not safe. Better scheduling, better competition.

g-webb1994
April 11th, 2007, 03:12 PM
The Big South has been an absolute joke, IMO, trying to expand to get to the team number requirement for an auto bid. Stony Brook? Not exactly getting over enthusiastic over that, nothing against Stony Brook, but they probably are wondering what the heck they are doing in the Big South as well.

The Blue Hose are a good addition. If ETSU brings back football and doesn't get back into the SOCON, adding them would make sense. Wingate would be a good add on too, I would figure Wingate to be looking D-1 in the near future, or at least FCS in football, Wingate does have some $$$ to play with.

VMI leaving concerns me, and Coastal not getting in the SOCON frankly stunned me. I figured the SOCON alone would want the Myrtle Beach market just for yearly meetings and golf, much less and up and coming football program.

carney2
April 11th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Rivalry week sounds like a great idea, however, i don't see Colgate-Bucknell as much of a rivalry. Maybe other gate fans would disagree, games i would consider rivals would be Lehigh, just on the fact they have been the two top dogs for so long, and out of conference Cornell and UMass.

We are talking about "rivalry weekend" here - the last Saturday before Thanksgiving; the final game on the schedule. You can play one - and only one - opponent on that day, and Lehigh's dance card is filled. The next best IN-LEAGUE option for Colgate is Bucknell. Need I (again) detail the reasons?

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 08:13 PM
The Big South has been an absolute joke, IMO, trying to expand to get to the team number requirement for an auto bid. Stony Brook? Not exactly getting over enthusiastic over that, nothing against Stony Brook, but they probably are wondering what the heck they are doing in the Big South as well.

The Blue Hose are a good addition. If ETSU brings back football and doesn't get back into the SOCON, adding them would make sense. Wingate would be a good add on too, I would figure Wingate to be looking D-1 in the near future, or at least FCS in football, Wingate does have some $$$ to play with.

VMI leaving concerns me, and Coastal not getting in the SOCON frankly stunned me. I figured the SOCON alone would want the Myrtle Beach market just for yearly meetings and golf, much less and up and coming football program.
I am also surprised about ccu but even more surprised about stony brook... that move just doesnt even make sense...

Proud Griz Man
April 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
five things that would help FCS immensely.

#1 is highly overrated. The Grizzly-Bobcat game was played in October for several years and held just as much importance as it does now. The gamedate is insignificant.

#3 is wrong. I don't see need for expanding the playoffs as 16 is enough and four weeks is a burden/five weeks would be an unreasonable burden.

Just my opinion. xwhistlex

Seawolf97
April 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I was surprised at the move to the Big South for Stonybrook. I thought they might stay an independent until the rumored beginning of AE football began. They would be at full scholarship level by then or worst case enter the CAA. None the less they will be competitve in the Big South.

PeacockRaider
April 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM
We are talking about "rivalry weekend" here - the last Saturday before Thanksgiving; the final game on the schedule. You can play one - and only one - opponent on that day, and Lehigh's dance card is filled. The next best IN-LEAGUE option for Colgate is Bucknell. Need I (again) detail the reasons?

I understand, however i'm saying that the three games most gate fans would consider rivals are the three i mentioned, none of which could be played on that weekend. Currently gate is playing HC on the last weekend just as much of a rivalry as Bucknell. The only true rivalry in the patriot league for that saturday would be Lafayette-Lehigh.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I understand, however i'm saying that the three games most gate fans would consider rivals are the three i mentioned, none of which could be played on that weekend. Currently gate is playing HC on the last weekend just as much of a rivalry as Bucknell. The only true rivalry in the patriot league for that saturday would be Lafayette-Lehigh.

A fair point. You know what would be best, for a Patriot League rivalry weekend? Move some of those regional rivalries to the third week in November. That would spice things up:

Lehigh/Lafayette
G-Town/Bucknell
Fordham/Columbia
Colgate/Cornell
Holy Cross/Boston College

Just kidding about that last one (I think).

Of course, an eighth member would help immensely (like Marist). Maybe Holy Cross/Marist could work instead.

Filling out the Ivy schedule, Penn would play Brown the end of the year.

Seriously, wouldn't this be the best setup from a rivalry perspective? I know Holy Cross/Marist wouldn't set the world on fire (though HC/BC would), but I thought the rest were pretty good.

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM
#1 is highly overrated. The Grizzly-Bobcat game was played in October for several years and held just as much importance as it does now. The gamedate is insignificant.

#3 is wrong. I don't see need for expanding the playoffs as 16 is enough and four weeks is a burden/five weeks would be an unreasonable burden.

Just my opinion. xwhistlex
I understand what you are saying because we would want to kill the catamounts anyweek but... what he is saying is that he wants all the games on the same weekend so that the nation can get excited about fcs rivalry week and bring attention to the product as a whole

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I understand what you are saying because we would want to kill the catamounts anyweek but... what he is saying is that he wants all the games on the same weekend so that the nation can get excited about fcs rivalry week and bring attention to the product as a whole

That's what I'm talking about. App State/WCU, Richmond/W&M, Montana/Montana State, Lehigh/Lafayette, Harvard/Yale, Grambling/Southern, maybe even Furman/GSU... it all represents what's great about college football. For us, it's the pinnacle of the regular season for FCS right before the playoffs start. For the NCAA's, it's a way to push the historic rivalries in the lead-in to some of the other FBS rivalries, making ALL the historic rivalries look better. IMO, a win/win for everyone.

lizrdgizrd
April 12th, 2007, 11:36 AM
That's what I'm talking about. App State/WCU, Richmond/W&M, Montana/Montana State, Lehigh/Lafayette, Harvard/Yale, Grambling/Southern, maybe even Furman/GSU... it all represents what's great about college football. For us, it's the pinnacle of the regular season for FCS right before the playoffs start. For the NCAA's, it's a way to push the historic rivalries in the lead-in to some of the other FBS rivalries, making ALL the historic rivalries look better. IMO, a win/win for everyone.
I don't know that I'd call App State/WCU what's great about college football, at least not lately. xnonono2x

April 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM
No I haven't but since he keeps politics out of it and sticks to football I hope he stays on the air. It sounds like a great show.
Do have a link to it that you could provide?CSN WAVES gets a negative! Not the first one but at least listen. Recent archives are here:
http://iaawaves.libsyn.com/

No, CSN WAVES is not a political show, it is an FCS talk show.

In fact about 2% of my posts on AGS are about politics outside of football. I know you're new here and I have been here almost eight years so you might have a skewed idea of what folks are about. It is the so-called off-season so members tend to post a bunch on the other topic boards at AGS. Politics just happens to be of interest to me and has been since I was a kid. I also post a bunch on football and that is the reason we are all here at AGS in the first place (I hope).

lizrdgizrd
April 12th, 2007, 12:51 PM
CSN WAVES gets a negative! Not the first one but at least listen. Recent archives are here:
http://iaawaves.libsyn.com/

No, CSN WAVES is not a political show, it is an FCS talk show.

In fact about 2% of my posts on AGS are about politics outside of football. I know you're new here and I have been here almost eight years so you might have a skewed idea of what folks are about. It is the so-called off-season so members tend to post a bunch on the other topic boards at AGS. Politics just happens to be of interest to me and has been since I was a kid. I also post a bunch on football and that is the reason we are all here at AGS in the first place (I hope).
I think that's only technically true during football season. xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM
A fair point. You know what would be best, for a Patriot League rivalry weekend? Move some of those regional rivalries to the third week in November. That would spice things up:

Lehigh/Lafayette
G-Town/Bucknell
Fordham/Columbia
Colgate/Cornell
Holy Cross/Boston College

Just kidding about that last one (I think).

Of course, an eighth member would help immensely (like Marist). Maybe Holy Cross/Marist could work instead.

Filling out the Ivy schedule, Penn would play Brown the end of the year.

Seriously, wouldn't this be the best setup from a rivalry perspective? I know Holy Cross/Marist wouldn't set the world on fire (though HC/BC would), but I thought the rest were pretty good.

I know the Patriot is a younger league in comparison to others and besides the one obvious match up, doesn't have rivalry games that jump out at you. But you're never go to develop these type of rivalry games unless you start playing them on that last weekend of the regular season. To this outsider, Colgate-Bucknell and Holy Cross-Fordham seem like the most obvious match ups to attempt to build. They are full PL members in relative proximity, HC and Fordham probably were rivals back in the days when they played at a higher level. And don't folks consider Bucknell, Colgate, Lehigh and Lafayette as the core foundation of the Patriot League?

Now maybe the PL could get the Ivy to participate? For starters, Yale-Harvard is obviously continuing as long as there is college football. Don't Penn and Princeton play that last weekend? Actually, Princeton might play Dartmouth that weekend which would also be a huge tradition game. Colgate-Cornell would make a great rivalry game and a Holy Cross match up with Dartmouth would probably work pretty well too. As would Fordham-Columbia too. Poor Brown could be left out in the cold though because I'm not sure URI would want to play them that last weekend. Not sure anything but Colgate-Cornell is worth pursuing. Then you could still have HC-Fordham and G'Town-Bucknell.

But to me, the best thing for the Patriot League and FCS would be to develop more season ending rivalry games among its own members.

Oh yeah, JMHO but Holy Cross-BC as a rivalry game is his-tor-ree! The Beagles would resurrect the series with the UConVicts if they really wanted a New England Rivalry Game or with Syracuse if they wanted a Northeast rivalry game.

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I think that's only technically true during football season. xlolx
I would have to agree... and I bet it is more like 30% politics in the last couple of months!!!

CopperCat
April 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I'd like to add one thing to the list of five: get some national media attention. The playoffs are already being televised on the ESPN network, so I would like to see some games on the big networks during the regular season. This might come down to scheduling a wednesday night game (if the networks even went for it) but I think it could help. Putting the rivalry games on the smaller networks is good too (I think this is already happening, but it needs to happen more) even if the bigger TV stations won't go for FCS football. I dunno, its a hard game to play with big TV and all, but putting more games out there would help us all.

danefan
April 12th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I think you'd get a lot more people watching Montana v. Montana State than you would Toledo v. ( insert crappy MAC school here ).

LUHawker
April 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM
A

I know Holy Cross/Marist wouldn't set the world on fire (though HC/BC would), but I thought the rest were pretty good.

LFN - I love your stuff, but please, please PLEASE stop bringing up Marist as a school to round out the Patriot League. There may not be a perfect school available right now to increase membership, but let's not squeeze a square peg into a round hole.

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I think you'd get a lot more people watching Montana v. Montana State than you would Toledo v. ( insert crappy MAC school here ).
you know i would... i see those crappy MAC v. MAC mid week games and keep on flipping the channels... there are numerous annual matchups in fcs football that could draw pretty decent attention from a national standpoint IMO

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Ralph has been pretty mum about this one:

So Mr. Wallace, are you denying the rumors? xeyebrowx xrotatehx xlolx

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I think he took care of that a few posts ago???

DFW HOYA
April 12th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Now maybe the PL could get the Ivy to participate? For starters, Yale-Harvard is obviously continuing as long as there is college football. Don't Penn and Princeton play that last weekend? Actually, Princeton might play Dartmouth that weekend which would also be a huge tradition game. Colgate-Cornell would make a great rivalry game and a Holy Cross match up with Dartmouth would probably work pretty well too. As would Fordham-Columbia too. Poor Brown could be left out in the cold though because I'm not sure URI would want to play them that last weekend. Not sure anything but Colgate-Cornell is worth pursuing. Then you could still have HC-Fordham and G'Town-Bucknell.

Georgetown-Bucknell is not a rivalry for either school.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 12th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Georgetown-Bucknell is not a rivalry for either school.

Did you miss my main point about developing rivalries within the PL? And my opinion that Colgate-Bucknell and Fordham-Holy Cross appeared to me as the best candidates for said rivalries?

Just curious, who are your candidates for Georgetown's big rivalry game?

carney2
April 12th, 2007, 07:35 PM

This is all very interesting, but that whole final weekend of the Ivy League schedule has been locked in... well, forever. My wife's uncle has talked about going to Cornell-Penn end of season blizzard games back in the leather helmet days. Princeton-Dartmouth has been the season ender for these two in all but about 5 years since WWII. The Ivies will participate in the CS playoffs before they will play OOC on the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

DFW HOYA
April 12th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Just curious, who are your candidates for Georgetown's big rivalry game?

Ideally, it would be Villanova, but as long as Andy Talley is coach, that won't happen.

Years ago, Fordham used to be a game that could draw big crowds to both schools, but you can't sell a rivalry with Fordham to an alumni base that grew up with Syracuse and UConn in basketball. That's why Villanova would be a game people could get interested in, but I think the CAA as a whole is about to distance itself from any games with the PL going forward and move to schools in the SoCon and Big South instead.

And in looking back, that's one of the things that's never developed within the PL--Georgetown is in the seat Towson and Davidson once held--the team that doesn't fit the others. It's like the days Miami was in the Big East--sure they were in the league, but not really in the league because they were not in the conference footprint and there were no strong ties between the schools. But hey, it still beats the MAAC!

Lehigh Football Nation
April 13th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Ideally, it would be Villanova, but as long as Andy Talley is coach, that won't happen.

Years ago, Fordham used to be a game that could draw big crowds to both schools, but you can't sell a rivalry with Fordham to an alumni base that grew up with Syracuse and UConn in basketball. That's why Villanova would be a game people could get interested in, but I think the CAA as a whole is about to distance itself from any games with the PL going forward and move to schools in the SoCon and Big South instead.

And in looking back, that's one of the things that's never developed within the PL--Georgetown is in the seat Towson and Davidson once held--the team that doesn't fit the others. It's like the days Miami was in the Big East--sure they were in the league, but not really in the league because they were not in the conference footprint and there were no strong ties between the schools. But hey, it still beats the MAAC!

Another possibility is Georgetown/Holy Cross...

Personally I think you could sell moving back Penn/Cornell a week if it means Cornell/Colgate is the final weekend of the year. I don't think Penn would have too much of a problem playing Brown instead that weekend, and Brown/Columbia is the weakest of the "final day" rivalries to me. To me, Fordham is the closest thing Columbia has to a real rivalry.

Georgetown/Bucknell is only separated by something like 2 hours (I think) so it's probably the closest "rival" that either team has. It may not be a fantastic rivalry yet, but I think it has potential. It's interesting since they're both option teams as well.

If you actually went further with this, you could add Villanova/UPenn and Brown/URI the same weekend... which are bigger games than their alternatives, IMO. Of course, Villanova ain't going to give up Delaware that weekend.

appfan2008
April 13th, 2007, 08:59 AM
i think the point is to take current rivalries across fcs and play them on the same weekend... no need to create any

henfan
April 13th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Of course, Villanova ain't going to give up Delaware that weekend.

VU & UD don't have much of a say in the matter, as game placement is typically dictated by the conference. It would take VU or UD moving out of the CAA for the date of that game to ever change. IMO, as the years go by and Wildcat-Blue Hen rivalry grows even more, there's less chance of that happening, regardless of who's patrolling VU sidelines.

Proud Griz Man
April 13th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Please explain how scheduling the Griz/Cat game the same day as Lehigh/Lafayette benefits App State fans, etc. and is a win/win for everyone? xcoffeex
I would argue that it is detrimental to schedule the Griz/Cat game that last weekend because we have competition from the other rivalry games (sports bars telling us we can't have much space because of Michigan/Ohio State fans, UCLA/USC fans, etc.). This is in addition to the poor travel conditions for in-state Montanans, and severe weather and poor field conditions sometimes encountered.
Truthfully, how many Lehigh/Lafayette fans rush home to their TVs to watch App State/WCU or Montana/Montana State after watching their teams play? xcoolx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Please explain how scheduling the Griz/Cat game the same day as Lehigh/Lafayette benefits App State fans, etc. and is a win/win for everyone? xcoffeex
I would argue that it is detrimental to schedule the Griz/Cat game that last weekend because we have competition from the other rivalry games (sports bars telling us we can't have much space because of Michigan/Ohio State fans, UCLA/USC fans, etc.). This is in addition to the poor travel conditions for in-state Montanans, and severe weather and poor field conditions sometimes encountered.
Truthfully, how many Lehigh/Lafayette fans rush home to their TVs to watch App State/WCU or Montana/Montana State after watching their teams play? xcoolx

When playoff bids are on the line? I recall driving back home from Lehigh/Lafayette and calling Ralph getting the latest updates on the "Brawl of the Wild." :D

Remember, I am not saying crowd them all on Saturday. I'm saying spread them out over several days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and maybe even Sunday and Wednesday if necessary) and make it an event that promotes all of FCS.

You're telling me this super-lineup wouldn't get people excited?

Wednesday 8PM: App State/WCU
Thursday 8PM: Richmond/William & Mary
Thursday 10PM: Sacramento State/UC-Davis
Friday 7PM: Lehigh/Lafayette (of course, Murray Goodman would need lights first... :D )
Friday 9PM: Citadel/VMI
Saturday 12PM: Harvard/Yale
Saturday 3PM: Montana/Montana State
Saturday 6PM: FAMU/B-CC
Saturday 9PM: SFA/Northwestern State
Sunday 4PM: Grambling/Southern

Cobblestone
April 13th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Another possibility is Georgetown/Holy Cross...

Personally I think you could sell moving back Penn/Cornell a week if it means Cornell/Colgate is the final weekend of the year. I don't think Penn would have too much of a problem playing Brown instead that weekend, and Brown/Columbia is the weakest of the "final day" rivalries to me. To me, Fordham is the closest thing Columbia has to a real rivalry.

Georgetown/Bucknell is only separated by something like 2 hours (I think) so it's probably the closest "rival" that either team has. It may not be a fantastic rivalry yet, but I think it has potential. It's interesting since they're both option teams as well.

If you actually went further with this, you could add Villanova/UPenn and Brown/URI the same weekend... which are bigger games than their alternatives, IMO. Of course, Villanova ain't going to give up Delaware that weekend.

We did play Brown on Thanksgiving morning one year in the early 1980's. The only down side to that was it stole some thunder from the high school games. It's not that high school football is a big deal here in R.I. but it is a nice Thanksgiving morning tradition that has been going on for decades. Because of this we never played Brown on Thanksgiving ever again. I think the Friday or Saturday after turkey day would be fine though.

LUHawker
April 13th, 2007, 09:28 PM
but I think the CAA as a whole is about to distance itself from any games with the PL going forward and move to schools in the SoCon and Big South instead.

What? Lehigh has got a series locked in with Villanova. Richmond has been playing Lafayette and Bucknell, Colgate has a series with UMass and Fordham has a series with URI. Plus Lehigh has played Delaware periodically and Holy Cross plays Umass this year. I don't think the CAA is moving away from games with the PL.

appfan2008
April 13th, 2007, 09:51 PM
We did play Brown on Thanksgiving morning one year in the early 1980's. The only down side to that was it stole some thunder from the high school games. It's not that high school football is a big deal here in R.I. but it is a nice Thanksgiving morning tradition that has been going on for decades. Because of this we never played Brown on Thanksgiving ever again. I think the Friday or Saturday after turkey day would be fine though.
high school football on thanksgiving morning just sounds really wierd to me

bulldog10jw
April 13th, 2007, 10:03 PM

It was a tradition in CT going back to the 1920's. I remember as a kid going to the Thanksgiving Day game(Milford-Stratford), which was always at 10:30 A.M. with my Dad and getting home just as my Mother pulled the bird out of the oven.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 14th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I think it's a tradition that goes all through the northeast. When I used to live in CT there were local HS games, and my father played in ones when he was a boy in Mass. Also, the Easton(PA)/Phillipsburg(NJ) game traditionally is played that morning... last year, this game is on ESPN.

All this talk is obscuring the fact that I want to move the game to the week BEFORE Thanksgiving. xlolx

Umass74
April 14th, 2007, 07:35 AM
The Turkey Day football game was the biggest game of the year! Everybody played their biggest rival on Thanksgiving.

Everybody mom or grandmother would be cooking the Thanksgiving meal with the game on the radio.

In my town 5,000 people would show up at the field that had bleacher seats for 1,200... :)

thirdgendin
April 14th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I wish Furman would play The Citadel in its last regular season game. When I was growing up, that was always the last game of the season, and The Citadel was definitely our biggest rival. What I had always heard was that the Bulldogs asked the SoCon to move the game to the middle of the season. Does anyone else have any better recollection of why the game was moved?

In 1993, Chattanooga became our last game and stayed there until recently when Georgia Southern (2006) and Western Carolina (2007) took those slots.

citdog
April 14th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I wish Furman would play The Citadel in its last regular season game. When I was growing up, that was always the last game of the season, and The Citadel was definitely our biggest rival. What I had always heard was that the Bulldogs asked the SoCon to move the game to the middle of the season. Does anyone else have any better recollection of why the game was moved?

We wanted to play VMI last and then they left and the game has never been moved back. I don't care when we play Furman i hate them as much in Oct as I do in NOv! Let's all just face the fact that Furman truly sucks on the testicle satchel!

UNHWildCats
April 14th, 2007, 08:46 AM
in Manchester, NH The two top city schools (out of 4) play each Thanksgiving for the City Championship. The teams are decided soley on there records vs each other not there records as a whole .

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 14th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Most of you from other parts of the country would be surprised at the passion and size of crowds for Thanksgiving Day football games in the Northeast. In most cases the games are against crosstown rivals or border town rivals. Many a losing season has been salvaged with an upset win on Turkey Day!!

The tradition of these games is so strong that rival schools often continue to play even though one of the schools has grown significantly larger and plays in an enrollment class or two higher.

McTailGator
April 14th, 2007, 09:09 AM
xtwocentsx

#1 The SWAC would have to do away with the SWAC Championship game to get a true representative in the playoffs. It'll be a RARE case if the second place team in either division would have a good enough record for consideration. The only time I can think that would have been possible was 2003, and even then those two teams (Southern and Grambling) couldn't go because of the Bayou Classic.

#2 The Turkey Day Classic and the Bayou Classic being moved is a sticky situation. Moving up one week wouldn't hurt but people have been conditioned to having those games around thanksgiving.

I think the NCAA needs to push back the playoff's by a week to accomidate the Bayou Classic, unless State Farm and NBC are willing to move the game up a week, which would allow the SWAC to play the Champ Game. OR, the NCAA could make the SWAC a 2 AUTO bid league and have the two SWAC divisions play in the first round with the winner advancing to round 2.

#3 The SWAC needs to STEP UP and improve the product that is placed on the field. This includes scheduling and coaching. I think the hiring of Coach Comegy (Jackson St) and Coach Broadway (Grambling) could go a long way in helping this. Coach Jones at Alabama A&M is doing a great job building the program there. I think everyone knows the scheduling situation. I would like to see scheduling return to the 1990's-early 2000's where the SWAC participated in better out of conference games. The end of the nine game mandate is key and the ADs need to start thinking out of the box.

#4 SWAC administration is poor and until the leadership gets it's act in shape there is no way this league will prosper.
Just my xtwocentsx

The only way to improve the level of play on the field is to schedule games with perenial top 10 FCS teams.

After Southern pays us back the home and home you owe us, xsmiley_wix than I would propose a Labor Day weekend Classic between the SLC and the SWAC with McNeese, Southern, Grambling, and Northwestern in Shreveport. Each school would be resposible the sale of their minimum allotment of 12,500 tickets at $35 each, which would guarrantee their $437,500 minumum revenue for the game. Sponsorships, Parking, and concessions would help to pay event expenses such as stadium rental, security, game admin, etc., and promotions. The 4 schools could then vote on what to do with any additional revenue such as use it toward next years expenses and promotion, or just split it up among the schools. xrulesx

The event could start out with an all day Saturday tailgate party xbeerchugx complete with bands, commedians, a cook-off, concerts, and other events, with a battle of the marching bands in Indy Stadium starting at 8:PM. Both of those events would generate money from parking and the gate as well. The first of the double header football games could start at 2:30 on Sunday, and the night cap starts at 7:PM. The $35 tickets gets you into both games. Schools that can't sale their 12,500 allotment could broker their tickets to the other schools, if needed, or sale them to the general public on-line.

GAD
April 14th, 2007, 11:28 PM
The only way to improve the level of play on the field is to schedule games with perenial top 10 FCS teams.

After Southern pays us back the home and home you owe us, xsmiley_wix than I would propose a Labor Day weekend Classic between the SLC and the SWAC with McNeese, Southern, Grambling, and Northwestern in Shreveport. Each school would be resposible the sale of their minimum allotment of 12,500 tickets at $35 each, which would guarrantee their $437,500 minumum revenue for the game. Sponsorships, Parking, and concessions would help to pay event expenses such as stadium rental, security, game admin, etc., and promotions. The 4 schools could then vote on what to do with any additional revenue such as use it toward next years expenses and promotion, or just split it up among the schools. xrulesx

The event could start out with an all day Saturday tailgate party xbeerchugx complete with bands, commedians, a cook-off, concerts, and other events, with a battle of the marching bands in Indy Stadium starting at 8:PM. Both of those events would generate money from parking and the gate as well. The first of the double header football games could start at 2:30 on Sunday, and the night cap starts at 7:PM. The $35 tickets gets you into both games. Schools that can't sale their 12,500 allotment could broker their tickets to the other schools, if needed, or sale them to the general public on-line.

Sounds like a good idea have you tried to pitch it to your AD, it would probably work, Louisiana Lottery, Zapps potato chips, Abita beer, Kentwood water, and Manda meats might be interested in sponsorship.

Mitch Landrieu at the Lt. Gov office might help with promotion

April 15th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Ralph has been pretty mum about this one:
So Mr. Wallace, are you denying the rumors? I have no plans at this time, I have not made any plans, my plans are not in place, my place is not planning, I am 99.9% sure I won't be... ummmmm errrrr... no Sherman statement yet... xlolx

813Jag
April 15th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I agree with you. But first our AD needs to grow a sack and get back to scheduling better games and of course that means going to Lake Charles. But with Southern you never know some times.

appfan2008
April 15th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Sounds a little ambitious to me but would be great for fcs football

JohnStOnge
April 15th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I like the idea of expanding the playoffs to five rounds, whether it be 24 teams with a bye for the top 8 or 32. As far as the concern over 5 weeks being two grueling, 24 of the teams of a 32 team field would be eliminated after two. I don't think the 8 that would still be around for the third week would mind that much.

But I think the reason for doing it should be to allow every conference that mees some minimum structural criteria an automatic bid. I think the regional autobid thing would decrease interest rather than increase it.

I agree that the SWAC and IVY participating in the playoffs would be beneficial.

JBB
April 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM
regionalization ruined the D2 football playoff system, but it was more rigid than the system being suggested here.

All good suggestions. Some caution though, I think the playoff field is large enough. How the auto bids are handled could change and will if another conference like the GWFC became eligible.

Seawolf97
April 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I have to agree with Dbackjon when the major conference shake out occurs in few years playoff bids will have to expand.

April 15th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I have to agree with Dbackjon when the major conference shake out occurs in few years playoff bids will have to expand.Let's see, there have been conference shakeups this year!

Big South, Colonial, Great West, Gateway, Metro Atlantic, Mid-Eastern, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Pioneer, Southern and Southland have all had changes.

That's 11 of 15!!!!

UAalum72
April 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Let's see, there have been conference shakeups this year!

Big South, Colonial, Great West, Gateway, Metro Atlantic, Mid-Eastern, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Pioneer, Southern and Southland have all had changes.

That's 11 of 15!!!!
But nothing major, that's going to put pressure on for an autobid change - except for the future of the Big South by getting its sixth team.

April 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM
BIG CHANGES:
Big South
Great West
Metro Atlantic

Didn't know we were only talking about AQ changes.

Husky Alum
April 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
It was a tradition in CT going back to the 1920's. I remember as a kid going to the Thanksgiving Day game(Milford-Stratford), which was always at 10:30 A.M. with my Dad and getting home just as my Mother pulled the bird out of the oven.

Thanksgiving football in CT and MA is about as big as it gets. 10jw and I are from the same home town - just a few years apart.

The game 10jw refers to was a big game - for that area, until his high school was closed (there were 3 in town, now there are two) - then my high school replaced his as the rival game. Now the Milford schools play each other and the Stratford schools play each other.

His timeline is impeccable - my dad is a sportswriter in Southern CT and covered all of those Milford-Stratford games back in the day, and we would eat a little later (usually at halftime of the first game) as my dad would have to file his story for the morning paper.

As for the CAA playing the PL - Rumor has it that NU and Colgate are looking to do a home/home for 2010/11 or 2011/12, and NU played HC this year with HC returning the game to NU in 2009.

I'm not a big fan of that "rivalry week" thing - who would NU play? UMass would play UNH. I don't think NU-URI or NU-Maine would be anything of a "rivalry" that would draw more fans than normal. It's like inter league baseball - for the natural rivalries it works but for games like KC-Pittsburgh, who cares.

The Natural Rivalries would draw fans if you played them at 9:15 am on a Wednesday if you gave people enough notice!

Cobblestone
April 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM

If you ever played on Thanksgiving morning you wouldn't feel that way. Actually from a spectator point of view its good to. It is the one time of the year that high school football up here draws a big crowd. Many schools have rivalries that go back decades. It's great to see grandfathers watching their grandsons play for their alma mater against their old rival. It's also a nice way to kill a Thanksgiving morning before sitting down to dinner. Besides, WTF else is there do on Thanksgiving morning?

DFW HOYA
April 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Besides, WTF else is there do on Thanksgiving morning?

Pro football, at least in Detroit and Dallas.

There's no Thanksgiving high school football in many states because of playoffs. This seems to work better in smaller states or those that don't have state-wide playoff systems (for example, sectionals).

Lehigh Football Nation
April 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Pro football, at least in Detroit and Dallas.

There's no Thanksgiving high school football in many states because of playoffs. This seems to work better in smaller states or those that don't have state-wide playoff systems (for example, sectionals).

Personally, if I wasn't helping my family on Thanksgiving create the meal and skedaddling off to watch three hours of high school football, I think my mom would have smacked me. You'd think women's lib would have killed this tradition. xcoolx

SU Jag
April 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
xtwocentsx
Just my xtwocentsx

Yep!xnodx What he said!xnodx

McTailGator
April 16th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Sounds like a good idea have you tried to pitch it to your AD, it would probably work, Louisiana Lottery, Zapps potato chips, Abita beer, Kentwood water, and Manda meats might be interested in sponsorship.

Mitch Landrieu at the Lt. Gov office might help with promotion

Already have... With our last AD

It's in your AD's court.

GSU AD is ex-McNeese guy, he'll go for it as will NSU's.

McTailGator
April 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I agree with you. But first our AD needs to grow a sack and get back to scheduling better games and of course that means going to Lake Charles. But with Southern you never know some times.

I think not having to play so many SWAC games should help you guy's in the scheduling department.

But the SACK issue is something you guys as fans need to address.xeekx

813Jag
April 16th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I think not having to play so many SWAC games should help you guy's in the scheduling department.

But the SACK issue is something you guys as fans need to address.xeekx
I agree it's time for the fans to say how they feel. I have no problems writting letters to the university to state how I feel. I believe this year is the last year of the nine game mandate.

Cobblestone
April 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Personally, if I wasn't helping my family on Thanksgiving create the meal and skedaddling off to watch three hours of high school football, I think my mom would have smacked me. You'd think women's lib would have killed this tradition. xcoolx

The tradition killed women's lib.
xlolx

andy7171
April 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM
In Baltimore, there used to be a double header on Thanksgiving. City-Poly used to play on Thanksgiving, but that ended when City schools were allowed into the State playoffs, they play each other during the season now. The other game, dubbed the Turkey Bowl is still played between Loyola and Calvert Hall. Both Catholic schools which aren't allowed into the State playoffs anyway. I think this last year was the 95th meeting. They've played in the Ravens Stadium for the last couple years since tearing down old Memorial Stadium. It's always @10am and on TV.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 17th, 2007, 10:15 AM

FWIW, CT and MA both have state-wide playoffs that start the week after Thanksgiving.

CID1990
April 17th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I figured the SOCON alone would want the Myrtle Beach market just for yearly meetings and golf, much less and up and coming football program.

They already have Charleston.... better golf, better meeting spaces, less rednecks, less big hair.

Coastal would be instant rivals with The Citadel, Wofford and Furman, though. The Stony Brook move just baffles me.

CopperCat
April 17th, 2007, 04:17 PM
You know, something that has certainly helped get FCS (formerly I-AA) some attention is the dynasty concept. Appy got the attention of the media when they won it the first time, but the second time they bolstered that media coverage by the way they won it all. Maybe dynasties in FCS would be good?

That being said, I HATE dynasties because they create a stagnant sport. I love watching David slay Goliath.

SIUallDay
April 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM
maybe consistant winning against 1-A schools would help some

CopperCat
April 17th, 2007, 04:32 PM
maybe consistant winning against 1-A schools would help some

That it would.xnodx