PDA

View Full Version : Yale vs. Penn, 1984

DFW HOYA
January 18th, 2019, 10:11 PM
Yale wins before 36,975 at Franklin Field. Who did the broadcast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jjZCD0b2Z0&index=2&list=PLGRXuAl3XEH7-NcuQD7TnWuTc-kpLvhVj
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jjZCD0b2Z0&index=2&list=PLGRXuAl3XEH7-NcuQD7TnWuTc-kpLvhVj

Sader87
January 18th, 2019, 10:55 PM
Upton Bell is the analyst I believe....game was broadcast on PBS channels I think. Sean McDonough did side-line reporting.

Franks Tanks
January 18th, 2019, 11:15 PM
Upton Bell is the analyst I believe....game was broadcast on PBS channels I think. Sean McDonough did side-line reporting.

You are correct. I watched a bit and those two were on the broadcast. The other guy in the booth is Dick, but didnt catch the last name.

Tom Gilmore has his name called a time or two.

32counter
January 19th, 2019, 10:15 AM
You are correct. I watched a bit and those two were on the broadcast. The other guy in the booth is Dick, but didnt catch the last name.

Tom Gilmore has his name called a time or two.

Dick Galiette,WTNH New Haven sports anchor,and later did radio for Yale Football with Carm Cozza. Over 33 seasons during two different eras – 1963-87 and 1997-2005 – Galiette became a fixture in the press box as the play-by-play man or Yale football radio broadcasts.

Galiette was a seven-time winner of the Connecticut Sportscaster of the Year Award and served as the sports director of WTNH-TV for 18 years in New Haven. He also worked the broadcast call for ABC college football games on occasion and during its beginning, anchored ESPN’s SportsCenter in the early 1980s.

Son of Eli
January 20th, 2019, 07:21 PM
Penn won 34-21

bulldog10jw
January 20th, 2019, 07:32 PM
Yale did not beat Penn in 1984. I was at the game.

bulldog10jw
January 20th, 2019, 07:38 PM
Dick Galiette,WTNH New Haven sports anchor,and later did radio for Yale Football with Carm Cozza. Over 33 seasons during two different eras – 1963-87 and 1997-2005 – Galiette became a fixture in the press box as the play-by-play man or Yale football radio broadcasts.

Galiette was a seven-time winner of the Connecticut Sportscaster of the Year Award and served as the sports director of WTNH-TV for 18 years in New Haven. He also worked the broadcast call for ABC college football games on occasion and during its beginning, anchored ESPN’s SportsCenter in the early 1980s.

Dick Galiette was not only THE voice of Yale football, but he had a Sunday program, "Yale Football Highlights" on WTNH (which was WNHC in those days), with Carm Cozza and one of the seniors on the team showing the previous days highlights. I miss those days.

bulldog10jw
January 20th, 2019, 07:47 PM
One play I'll never forget occurred at 2:27:40. John Zanieski, who was a great player for Yale, was called for a late hit (I've seen worse not called). He picked up the flag and kind of backhanded it towards the ref. Yale was penalized 30 yards, Penn scored, and that was it.

Ivytalk
January 21st, 2019, 06:38 AM
Penn drew over 36,000 at Franklin Field for a Harvard game that I attended back around then. Nowadays, you have to take the 3 off to get Penn’s average “crowd.”

Ivytalk
January 21st, 2019, 09:24 AM
One play I'll never forget occurred at 2:27:40. John Zanieski, who was a great player for Yale, was called for a late hit (I've seen worse not called). He picked up the flag and kind of backhanded it towards the ref. Yale was penalized 30 yards, Penn scored, and that was it.
Did you watch the whole thing, or did you fast forward until you got to the double penalty?xlolx

bulldog10jw
January 21st, 2019, 10:11 AM
Did you watch the whole thing, or did you fast forward until you got to the double penalty?xlolx

No, I didn't watch the whole thing. I knew just about when it happened and actually came pretty close just clicking near the end. Funny thing. In my memory Zanieski had picked up the flag and thrown it at the ref. It was actually a little more subtle.

Son of Eli
January 21st, 2019, 03:29 PM
Yale had a pretty good team that year. If Curtain hadn’t missed the game with an injury they may have won that game and captured another Ivy Championship.

Stewart played QB that game. Later in his career he was a RB. Question: was he a rb at the time and pressed into duty as a QB in an emergency or was he recruited as a QB and later switched to RB?

Another question. I remember the Stewart RB on the 1987 team, which would have made him a freshman in 1984. Is it the same player?

Son of Eli
January 21st, 2019, 03:59 PM
Penn drew over 36,000 at Franklin Field for a Harvard game that I attended back around then. Nowadays, you have to take the 3 off to get Penn’s average “crowd.”

If you’re wondering where all the fans went look to the 43 minute mark where they interview a Penn alum from the class of 1925!

bulldog10jw
January 22nd, 2019, 10:04 AM
Yale had a pretty good team that year. If Curtain hadn’t missed the game with an injury they may have won that game and captured another Ivy Championship.

Stewart played QB that game. Later in his career he was a RB. Question: was he a rb at the time and pressed into duty as a QB in an emergency or was he recruited as a QB and later switched to RB?

Another question. I remember the Stewart RB on the 1987 team, which would have made him a freshman in 1984. Is it the same player?

SOE, I'm pretty sure that Stewart was a recruited as a QB but was considered for split end and RB in 1984 as a sophomore. He also sat out a year which was why he was a senior in 1987. He ended up as a RB because he wasn't going to play ahead of Kelly Ryan.

Son of Eli
January 22nd, 2019, 05:01 PM
SOE, I'm pretty sure that Stewart was a recruited as a QB but was considered for split end and RB in 1984 as a sophomore. He also sat out a year which was why he was a senior in 1987. He ended up as a RB because he wasn't going to play ahead of Kelly Ryan.

Thanks. It was a pleasure watching this game again as it shows the greatness of Cozza. Penn had the better team, but Cozza made it close by improvising and inserting Stewart into the game when the back-up QB struggled. It was also fun to see an offense that featured the fullback in action. The huge shoulder pads on everybody looked ridiculous though, especially on Luzzi.

Pards Rule
January 23rd, 2019, 01:01 PM
I was going to say my God when did Penn ever get these attendance numbers!

UAalum72
January 23rd, 2019, 02:25 PM
I was going to say my God when did Penn ever get these attendance numbers!The 1940s, when they’d announce 70K vs Penn St, Army, Michigan, Wisconsin etc

DFW HOYA
January 23rd, 2019, 06:19 PM
“The [Yale] Bowl was a tremendous place, we were drawing really well then,” Cozza said. “The smallest attendance we had in the 60s or 70s would have been 35,000 or 40,000.

We filled the Bowl [over 72,000] for Harvard, we’d have 56,000 for Dartmouth, 47,000 for Cornell. When we went to I-AA it definitely affected the attendance … we were not on major television as much. That probably hurt the league more than anything else.”

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2016/11/04/football-a-division-decades-old/

Go Green
January 24th, 2019, 05:30 AM
“The [Yale] Bowl was a tremendous place, we were drawing really well then,” Cozza said. “The smallest attendance we had in the 60s or 70s would have been 35,000 or 40,000.

We filled the Bowl [over 72,000] for Harvard, we’d have 56,000 for Dartmouth, 47,000 for Cornell. When we went to I-AA it definitely affected the attendance … we were not on major television as much. That probably hurt the league more than anything else.”

What he doesn't say is that attendance was already trending downward for a decade prior to the I-AA move. Indeed, while Yale would have qualified for I-A membership based on attendance numbers, the rest of the Ivy did not.

bulldog10jw
January 24th, 2019, 10:34 AM

I think Carm's recollection was a little generous, even in the sixties. In my memory 50-60k was normal for Princeton and Harvard along with 40-50k for Dartmouth. The other Ivies were in the 20k-30k range. Out of conference, UConn would draw well, Colgate not as much. And attendance started to decline all through the 70's as Go Green said.

Also, in the Ivy tradition, rain would cut attendance in half even back then. One of the drawbacks to having a big stadium is that most people bought their tickets on game day.

DFW HOYA
January 24th, 2019, 10:39 AM
One thing Cozza said that does hit close to home:

"We were not on major television as much. That probably hurt the league more than anything else."

Out of sight, out of mind. (And no, ESPN+ doesn't count.)

Sader87
January 24th, 2019, 01:07 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29955&stc=1

3OK+ at the Bowl that day I think I've read ovah the years. Parents were there....a rare W for the Saders ovah the Eli and Calvin Hill that day. xdrunkyx

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Those vintage programs are freeze-frames of our athletic past. I bought several old Harvard programs on eBay back when eBay was cool. One has the old Dartmouth Indian on the cover. Now, instead of gathering dust on some old alum’s shelf, they’re gathering dust on my shelf.

bulldog10jw
January 25th, 2019, 10:40 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29955&stc=1

3OK+ at the Bowl that day I think I've read ovah the years. Parents were there....a rare W for the Saders ovah the Eli and Calvin Hill that day. xdrunkyx

32,300. I have a book that shows most of Yale's attendance figures through 1972

bulldog10jw
January 25th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Those vintage programs are freeze-frames of our athletic past. I bought several old Harvard programs on eBay back when eBay was cool. One has the old Dartmouth Indian on the cover. Now, instead of gathering dust on some old alum’s shelf, they’re gathering dust on my shelf.

I collected Yale programs for a while. In addition to all the games I attended, I searched for and bought several very old programs that I found at sports memorabilia shows where they mostly sold baseball cards, etc.

My oldest is Army-Yale 1922

Son of Eli
January 25th, 2019, 06:55 PM
I collected Yale programs for a while. In addition to all the games I attended, I searched for and bought several very old programs that I found at sports memorabilia shows where they mostly sold baseball cards, etc.

My oldest is Army-Yale 1922

My oldest is Harvard-Yale 1922. You beat me by four weeks!

bulldog10jw
June 16th, 2020, 09:15 PM

https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2020/6/16/zanieski-85-on-2021-nff-college-football-hall-of-fame-ballot.aspx

Zanieski is on the 2021 College Football Hall of Fame ballot