PDA

View Full Version : Bucknell HC Joe Susan steps down

Gangtackle11
January 14th, 2019, 05:43 PM
https://bucknellbison.com/news/2019/1/14/joe-susan-steps-down-as-head-football-coach-at-bucknell-will-assume-role-in-department-of-athletics.aspx

RichH2
January 14th, 2019, 05:49 PM
That is a Wow. Asked to step down??

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2019, 05:54 PM
The Daily Item article is below.

The longest tenured coaches in the PL are now Rob Sgarlata and Dan Hunt, at five seasons each.

https://www.dailyitem.com/sports/joe-susan-steps-down-as-bucknell-football-coach/article_4edcede6-1852-11e9-816c-b78d0bb40026.html

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 14th, 2019, 06:07 PM
I feel like this was forced. He had a couple of good years but overall his time in Lewisburg was pretty ugly. With that said, I'm not sure if anyone can win at Bucknell unless the school itself changes how they view football.

kdinva
January 14th, 2019, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure if anyone can win ......unless the school itself changes how they view football.

cough...cough.....hint....hint.....Lexington....co ugh....cough.....

RichH2
January 14th, 2019, 06:30 PM
I wonder if the PL is actually waking up from the nightmare of the last 5+ years. Would be a nice, if unexpected, developement. A real rehab or just a new paint job?

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 14th, 2019, 06:36 PM
I wonder if the PL is actually waking up from the nightmare of the last 5+ years. Would be a nice, if unexpected, developement. A real rehab or just a new paint job?

Time will tell!

If there was ever a program in the PL that needs to hire a young, energetic coach it's Bucknell. That program desperately needs a coach to come in with ambition and passion in order to stir the masses.

Or go the Bryant route and hire Jim Roth. Maybe he could coach both Southern Columbia and Bucknell and just create an 8 year program? Stone Hollenbach (QB headed to 'Bama) and Julian Fleming (5 star WR) would be one helluva duo in the PL....

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2019, 06:47 PM
I wonder if the PL is actually waking up from the nightmare of the last 5+ years. Would be a nice, if unexpected, development. A real rehab or just a new paint job?

The last three hires (Conlin, Garrett, Gilmore) are not changing the PL's continuing trajectory. Hard to see why Bucknell would be different.

P.S. Can someone in these athletic departments stop using the phrase "a national search"? When was the last PL coach hired outside the Northeast corridor? Does anyone seriously think that Bucknell is getting the OC from New Mexico State or the head coach at UC Davis to Lewisburg?

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 14th, 2019, 07:32 PM
The last three hires (Conlin, Garrett, Gilmore) are not changing the PL's continuing trajectory. Hard to see why Bucknell would be different.

P.S. Can someone in these athletic departments stop using the phrase "a national search"? When was the last PL coach hired outside the Northeast corridor? Does anyone seriously think that Bucknell is getting the OC from New Mexico State or the head coach at UC Davis to Lewisburg?

Garrett was a bit of an outside of the box hire. He went to Princeton but his coaching experience was mostly NFL and with some college stops sprinkled in. Chesney wasn't your typical PL hire either. He was local but his background certainly didn't scream PL.

Gilmore was about as parochial as it gets....

ngineer
January 14th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Seems like a force retirement to me. I he was thinking that route, he would have announce leading up to or after last game. Mid-January is a bit late. Middle of recruiting, now have to restaff. Tough. Lewisburg a tough place to turn around. Not the location or the school, but the culture. Does not seem to be any interest. Every time I've gone to Christy Mathewson we outnumbered the home team.

RichH2
January 14th, 2019, 07:54 PM
Seems like a force retirement to me. I he was thinking that route, he would have announce leading up to or after last game. Mid-January is a bit late. Middle of recruiting, now have to restaff. Tough. Lewisburg a tough place to turn around. Not the location or the school, but the culture. Does not seem to be any interest. Every time I've gone to Christy Mathewson we outnumbered the home team.

Quick look on Bison board. Other than the announcement, zero reaction on board .

ngineer
January 14th, 2019, 07:57 PM
Quick look on Bison board. Other than the announcement, zero reaction on board .

Exactly. Yawn. Amazing that BU excels at a lot of other sports, but football has been in the crapper for 20+ years.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 14th, 2019, 10:02 PM
Exactly. Yawn. Amazing that BU excels at a lot of other sports, but football has been in the crapper for 20+ years.

Talk about a place I never venture.....as of 11 P.M. there's still only 1 post. That's sad. And the crux of the problem....

Bucknell legitimately plays second fiddle to Lewisburg HS in their own stadium. The apathy is reaching new lows out there and that's saying something. I dug a little deeper and found posts earlier in the year that suggested Bucknell should consider dropping the program.

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2019, 11:20 PM
Bucknell legitimately plays second fiddle to Lewisburg HS in their own stadium. The apathy is reaching new lows out there and that's saying something. I dug a little deeper and found posts earlier in the year that suggested Bucknell should consider dropping the program.

While unlikely, that would be a death knell to the PL. Why? League bylaws require a minimum of five full-membership schools to sponsor any sport; therefore, if anyone other than Fordham or Georgetown drops out or changes conferences at any time, PL football is defunct.

That being said, I find it discouraging that people trot out the "they should drop football" argument to any PL school. Each of these seven schools have played for over 100 years and they want to play, or they wouldn't be in the PL.

Sader87
January 14th, 2019, 11:30 PM
Bucknell beat Holy Cross in football this year....there were probably about 300 posts on the HC board on what the hell happened...maybe 5 on Bucknell's board on how they won....they just don't seem to care, and maybe we care too much?

Go...gate
January 15th, 2019, 02:11 AM
I cannot see Bucknell dropping football. Does the program need a shot in the arm? Hell, yes. It has never been the same since the death of Tom Gadd, who really had the program at a high level in 1996 and 1997.

Go Green
January 15th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Probably just a coincidence. But yesterday, Dartmouth got a commitment from a guy whose only other offer was from.... Bucknell.

Franks Tanks
January 15th, 2019, 08:49 AM
I hope it’s not a medical issue. Otherwise the timing is very poor. He was probably let go rather than a true resignation, and if so the timing is horrible.

Justin Lustig would be a great get for them if he’s still interested. Susan was hired over him last time around.

crusader11
January 15th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Why is this "retirement" happening now, and not a week or two following the conclusion of Bucknell's season?

RichH2
January 15th, 2019, 09:09 AM
Why is this "retirement" happening now, and not a week or two following the conclusion of Bucknell's season?

Simple really. Football is barely an afterthought at Bucknell. No urgency to deal with issues. We'll deal with it when we get around to it. Hence, he is forced out now. Absent an almost immediate hire, recruiting will be hamstrung. No doubt staff will keep trying.While academics are a central part of PL recruiting,the lack of a Head coach will severely limit prospects interest in Bucknell. Kids can get the same or better academics at the other PL schools.

DFW HOYA
January 15th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Absent an almost immediate hire, recruiting will be hamstrung.

They signed 11 in December and probably have another half dozen on the short list. Not much ham-stringing at this point.

carney2
January 15th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Perhaps a bit of a surprise - He's "only" 63 and could have continued for a few years. and Not many people in Buffalo give a crap about what goes on in Christy Mathewson. It would be a real surprise, under the circumstances, if he was "asked to leave." Lack of success in football is a time honored tradition in Buffalo.

RichH2
January 15th, 2019, 10:25 AM
They signed 11 in December and probably have another half dozen on the short list. Not much ham-stringing at this point.

Perhaps not but given status of the program, they need players who can help not just bodies.

BucBisonAtLarge
January 15th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Since I know just about as much as everyone else here I will guess about events too. It has been obvious that Susan hasn't had the tools to turn the ship, whatever his commitment to the program and the institution. Moving him into the administration will shore up the new, young AD (a college football player himself). Beyond the field, I suspect that he had begun to slip in fundraising after what appeared to be a bunch of initial success. Football remains successful relative to other sports in direct fundraising campaigns among alumni and parents annually, more than basketball. Basketball has a many other revenue streams.

I don't post much about football on the 'Bucknell' board. I have heard the crickets and the basketball advocates just dismissing the program. It is a basketball board. All other sports get short-shrift. I believe that football belongs on campus and that the program and the student-athletes that it attracts are a vital part of the University. Lewisburg HS has outdrawn Bucknell in its stadium for over forty years. That isn't a useful metric here.

The trustees should directly speak to the commitment of keeping the program to stifle the nattering. It is intolerable that any program is allowed to languish. Bucknell, for its frugality in the era of scholarships (across the board), prides itself on its level of competition. Institutional commitment has got to be addressed.

Personally, I hope we keep a decent defense and find some vision on offense. We also sent a couple of guys to the NFL over the past two years. Good things can and do happen in the Bucknell football program.

Bring on Greg Schiano.

ngineer
January 15th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Since I know just about as much as everyone else here I will guess about events too. It has been obvious that Susan hasn't had the tools to turn the ship, whatever his commitment to the program and the institution. Moving him into the administration will shore up the new, young AD (a college football player himself). Beyond the field, I suspect that he had begun to slip in fundraising after what appeared to be a bunch of initial success. Football remains successful relative to other sports in direct fundraising campaigns among alumni and parents annually, more than basketball. Basketball has a many other revenue streams.

I don't post much about football on the 'Bucknell' board. I have heard crickets enough and the basketball advocates just dismissing the program. It is a basketball board. All other sports get short-shrift. I believe that football belongs on campus and that the program and the student-athletes that it attracts are a vital part of the University. Lewisburg HS has outdrawn Bucknell in its stadium for over forty years. That isn't a useful metric here.

The trustees should directly speak to the commitment of keeping the program to stifle the nattering. It is intolerable that any program is allowed to languish. Bucknell, for its frugality in the era of scholarships (across the board), prides itself on its level of competition. Institutional commitment has got to be addressed.

Personally, I hope we keep a decent defense and find some vision on offense. We also sent a couple of guys to the NFL over the past two years. Good things can and do happen in the Bucknell football program. Bring on Greg Schiano.

My daughter went to Bucknell in the late 1990's and I used to laugh when I went out there that if the school just spent a little less on landscaping and horticulture and added that to football, they might be able to do something! Even with the stadium on campus, there is no 'juice' with the students. Don't know the answer.

BucBisonAtLarge
January 15th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Just how much juice is there in the PL student bodies, period?

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 15th, 2019, 08:31 PM
Just how much juice is there in the PL student bodies, period?

A good number of 'Gate students turned out for the playoff game against JMU. They certainly don't flock like the old days but give the current student a reason to have some beers, chance to be seen and heard and they'll make an appearance.

Since I finally found my way to the Bucknell board there's been some dialogue regarding football and the state of the program which is good. Any word on potential candidates? Maybe a disgruntled Lehigh candidate who might have gotten "overlooked" for Gilmore? Penn State has a couple of guys on their staff with PL ties.

I feel like this is critical moment for Bison pigskin. For the sake of the league it would be nice for Bucknell to have a legitimate pulse. They've NEVER been to the playoffs.

Pards Rule
January 16th, 2019, 10:57 AM

Prob didnt want to force this long timer out before holidays I imagine and maybe then he and/or AD was on vacation in a sunny clime? Now back and fricking, um, retired...fired!

Lehigh Football Nation
January 16th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Greg Schiano

I just wonder if the timing of this "retirement", and Schiano's availability as of January 8th, are related.

BucBisonAtLarge
January 16th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Bring on Greg Schiano.

My new tagline.

ngineer
January 16th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Don't see if he would be seeking 'market price' for someone with his name and experience. Only way someone like him gets hired is with a substantial 'hometown discount'.

Franks Tanks
January 16th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Ha, Schiano is absurd.

He was making a million plus at Ohio State. He was technically hired as the head coach at Tenn last year. At worst this guy is a DC in the NFL/Big time college program, or an FBS head coach. He may have to take a year off to get the job he wants, but it appears he still has much higher aspirations.

ngineer
January 16th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Ha, Schiano is absurd.

He was making a million plus at Ohio State. He was technically hired as the head coach at Tenn last year. At worst this guy is a DC in the NFL/Big time college program, or an FBS head coach. He may have to take a year off to get the job he wants, but it appears he still has much higher aspirations.

Agreed. Every now and then a 'name' coach will 'go down' to a lower level near the end of a career, when the money and 'lights' aren't important, but one just loves to coach and keep their hand in the game. There have been a few over the years who have done that as their 'glide path toward retirement', but Schiano is not looking to retire. He should have banked a ton of money over the past years t be able to take a year or so off until the right big time opportunity comes along.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 16th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Agreed. Every now and then a 'name' coach will 'go down' to a lower level near the end of a career, when the money and 'lights' aren't important, but one just loves to coach and keep their hand in the game. There have been a few over the years who have done that as their 'glide path toward retirement', but Schiano is not looking to retire. He should have banked a ton of money over the past years t be able to take a year or so off until the right big time opportunity comes along.

Lehigh will face one next year, Dan Hawkins. He was the one who brought Boise State into the national spotlight then coached at Colorado for a few years. Now he's the coach at UC Davis.

I do think a guy like Al Golden would succeed at the FCS level. You need someone who simply likes coaching football and leading young men yet doesn't want the stress anymore of crazy expectations.

ngineer
January 16th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Lehigh will face one next year, Dan Hawkins. He was the one who brought Boise State into the national spotlight then coached at Colorado for a few years. Now he's the coach at UC Davis.

I do think a guy like Al Golden would succeed at the FCS level. You need someone who simply likes coaching football and leading young men yet doesn't want the stress anymore of crazy expectations.

The one game on the schedule that could be a disaster. The way UCD almost took down EWU was impressive. Our defense had better be improved, or we'll need a calculator.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 16th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Another way of thinking of this is that Schiano has enough money and might be up for the challenge of making Bucknell into a great FCS-level football program. By all accounts Schiano still loves his alma mater and there have been quite a few Schianos that have been there recently. I get the impression he is already active about the program, so, why not, maybe, be head coach?

crusader11
January 16th, 2019, 03:29 PM
At first I thought Schinao's name being thrown around was a joke, but I guess it's not.

You're absolutely nuts if you think Schiano would even entertain this job. Come on, guys.

Bucknell will likely hire a position coach from an FBS school or a D2/3 head coach from somewhere in the area. Let's get real.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 16th, 2019, 03:58 PM
At first I thought Schinao's name being thrown around was a joke, but I guess it's not.

You're absolutely nuts if you think Schiano would even entertain this job. Come on, guys.

Bucknell will likely hire a position coach from an FBS school or a D2/3 head coach from somewhere in the area. Let's get real.

Maybe, but the timing of both announcements doesn't at least make one have to consider the possibility? As folks have mentioned on here it's highly unusual to have a retirement announcement happening right now just as the quiet period ended.

The Boogie Down
January 16th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Obviously it would be beyond cool if Schiano (even for just 2/3 years) returned to his alma mater & turned it all around but Tom Masella is way more likely.

Bill
January 16th, 2019, 04:32 PM
Maybe, but the timing of both announcements doesn't at least make one have to consider the possibility? As folks have mentioned on here it's highly unusual to have a retirement announcement happening right now just as the quiet period ended.

Guys,
Seriously - word from the coaches' conventions I was just at have Schiano possibly becoming the Patriots DC if/when current guy leaves. Foxboro might be a tad more lucrative than Lewisburg...

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 16th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Guys,
Seriously - word from the coaches' conventions I was just at have Schiano possibly becoming the Patriots DC if/when current guy leaves. Foxboro might be a tad more lucrative than Lewisburg...

That makes a lot of sense!! BB and Schiano have been close friends for a long time! The Pats have relied on a bunch of Rutgers guys over the years. I get the sense BB is nearing retirement. Maybe much sooner than some are thinking...

DFW HOYA
January 16th, 2019, 07:29 PM
Bring on Greg Schiano.

My new tagline.

Maybe Bucknell follows Lehigh's lead and looks up some PL alumni...Andrew Breiner? Kevin Kelly? Tom Masella? xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
January 16th, 2019, 08:18 PM
Maybe Bucknell follows Lehigh's lead and looks up some PL alumni...Andrew Breiner? Kevin Kelly? Tom Masella? xlolx

If Tom Masella is the new head coach, he will have been a football coach at three different Patriot League institutions.

ngineer
January 16th, 2019, 08:24 PM
The guy at Kutztown, Clements, would be ideal. He has been a winner where he has coached. D3 to D2 to..FCS.

carney2
January 17th, 2019, 08:00 AM

John Garrett? Lehigh whiffed on this amazing opportunity so Garrett is still available.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 25th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Been 11 days since the position opened. Is there any word on potential candidates? Has anyone actually applied?

RichH2
January 25th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Been 11 days since the position opened. Is there any word on potential candidates? Has anyone actually applied?

Crickets so far owl. Havent seen anything on footballscoop. I assume Bison have posted for new coach but I havent seen it.

RichH2
January 25th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Buckies posted for HC on 1/16

aceinthehole
January 25th, 2019, 09:37 PM
If Tom Masella is the new head coach, he will have been a football coach at three different Patriot League institutions.

Masella just named OC at Bryant.

Fordham
January 25th, 2019, 10:49 PM
Masella just named OC at Bryant.. OC or DC?

DFW HOYA
January 26th, 2019, 02:04 AM
Masella just named OC at Bryant.

He replaces Vinny Marino, who followed James Perry to Brown.

crusader11
January 28th, 2019, 10:43 AM
The timing of Joe Susan's resignation, coupled with the very little news/interest of Bucknell's next head coach really speaks volumes about how football is an afterthought in Lewisburg.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 28th, 2019, 03:36 PM
The timing of Joe Susan's resignation, coupled with the very little news/interest of Bucknell's next head coach really speaks volumes about how football is an afterthought in Lewisburg.

The fact there's not even a candidate being thrown out is bizarre. There's more buzz when local high school jobs open up. Bucknell has been an easy target for years given their blatant apathy towards football. It's now gone from "glad it ain't us" to "you're dragging the league down even further".

Georgetown will be running laps around them. They're starting to figure out the need base model in DC.

ngineer
January 29th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Crickets so far owl. Havent seen anything on footballscoop. I assume Bison have posted for new coach but I havent seen it.

Some posters up on I-80??

RichH2
January 29th, 2019, 06:15 PM

xlmaox
Thanks ngineer. Perfect timing for a few guffaws.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 29th, 2019, 09:58 PM

Which is more hopeless, Bucknell football or Penn State basketball? I think parallels can be drawn between both program's struggles.

I get offered PSU bball tickets all the time but have zero interest in driving out there. Even when they play a top team like Michigan, Michigan State or Wisconsin I can't bring myself to do it. I rather pay $20 and make the 2 hour drive to the Carrier Dome to see the 'Cuse. I feel like you could pay a local Lewisburg/Milton/Montandon resident $100 to attend a Bison football game and they'd turn it down. Instead they rather pay $20 to drink beer and watch PSU at a local bar.

ngineer
January 30th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Which is more hopeless, Bucknell football or Penn State basketball? I think parallels can be drawn between both program's struggles.

I get offered PSU bball tickets all the time but have zero interest in driving out there. Even when they play a top team like Michigan, Michigan State or Wisconsin I can't bring myself to do it. I rather pay $20 and make the 2 hour drive to the Carrier Dome to see the 'Cuse. I feel like you could pay a local Lewisburg/Milton/Montandon resident $100 to attend a Bison football game and they'd turn it down. Instead they rather pay $20 to drink beer and watch PSU at a local bar.

Heck, I think we'd kick State's ass this year in basketball. I wouldn't drive out there for a football game.

Franks Tanks
January 30th, 2019, 02:21 PM

PSU must be the only school in the country where men’s basketball is the 3rd most popular winter sport. PSU wrestling is a dynasty on par with nearly any in NCAA history across all sports. PSU hockey is a consistent top 20 program at this point and plays in a tremendous arena. Nobody wants to watch crappy basketball with those other options available.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 4th, 2019, 10:20 AM
PSU must be the only school in the country where men’s basketball is the 3rd most popular winter sport. PSU wrestling is a dynasty on par with nearly any in NCAA history across all sports. PSU hockey is a consistent top 20 program at this point and plays in a tremendous arena. Nobody wants to watch crappy basketball with those other options available.

PSU womens basketball has been consistently solid over the years, too!

carney2
February 4th, 2019, 12:36 PM

Very strange. PSU is one of those schools where football is king and they usually can't put together a decent intramural basketball team. Of course, there are some (Indiana and Kansas come to mind) where it is the exact opposite. I even remember a time at PSU where it was almost impossible to score a ticket for a men's gymnastics meet, but you could just about walk up and pick your seat for a basketball game.

Go Green
February 4th, 2019, 05:09 PM
Very strange. PSU is one of those schools where football is king and they usually can't put together a decent intramural basketball team. Of course, there are some (Indiana and Kansas come to mind) where it is the exact opposite. I even remember a time at PSU where it was almost impossible to score a ticket for a men's gymnastics meet, but you could just about walk up and pick your seat for a basketball game.

In fairness to Penn State, they are geographically disadvantaged for basketball. With Philadelphia and Pittsburgh offering several good basketball options to Key State players, it's not surprising that Penn State has struggled in basketball.

Not saying that they can't do better. And with their resources, maybe they should be doing better. But it's easier said than done.

DFW HOYA
February 4th, 2019, 05:59 PM
In fairness to Penn State, they are geographically disadvantaged for basketball.

What about Syracuse, then? Or for that matter, West Virginia?

Go Green
February 4th, 2019, 07:21 PM

Those guys aren't competing with five or six other in-state schools for top local talent--most of which is clustered around said other schools.

NDSUtk
February 4th, 2019, 07:43 PM
PSU hockey is a consistent top 20 program

Well, since there are only 60 hockey programs that's not quite as impressive as basketball or football...

Sader87
February 4th, 2019, 08:24 PM
Any news, not about the travails of Nittany Lion hoop, on this subject? Getting late, no???

DFW HOYA
February 4th, 2019, 09:24 PM
Those guys aren't competing with five or six other in-state schools for top local talent--most of which is clustered around said other schools.

A better example may be Texas A&M--rural, football centered, no significant hoop tradition. The Aggies have made six NCAA's since 2008. Penn State has made six NCAA's since 1955.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 4th, 2019, 09:42 PM

Syracuse is able to draw from a fairly large metro area. Plus, attending a game at the Carrier Dome is a unique experience. Then there's the history of success.

Penn State basically has to rely on the local State College/Bellefonte community to support the team. Getting to State College in the winter for the vast majority of Pennsylvania residents (population is largely concentrated along the east and west corridors) is an not easy task. Especially for weeknight games. Temple faces the same issues with their 7 P.M weeknight tips. Getting to North Philly around rush hour is torture.

I vividly remember some of PSU's better teams (there haven't been many) dating back to the Bruce Parkhill era. The John Amaechi team in the mid 90's was Final 4 good imo but rank into an experienced, but underachieving Arkansas team in the tournament. PSU use to be a regular visitor to Stabler Arena before they joined the Big 10. I kind of wish I got to see a game at Rec Hall. That place was pretty cool for bball from what I remember on TV. I noticed this year they no longer open up the upper deck of the BJC for Big 10 games. As a result the capacity is reduced to about 8k. Around the same number Rec Hall held.

The apathy and low expectations the permeates throughout the PSU bball program very much exists 40 miles down the road in Lewisburg when it comes to Bison football. At least PSU bball has had moments of national relevance in the last 25 years. Outside of the 10-1 team in 1996 and a close loss to Fordham a few years ago I'm not sure what other times Bucknell football did anything of note in FCS football.

The Super Bowl is over and Bucknell still does not have a football coach! And no one seems to care in Bisonland....

Go Green
February 5th, 2019, 06:52 AM
Any news, not about the travails of Nittany Lion hoop, on this subject? Getting late, no???

According to a guy on the Ivy Board, it was posted on footballscoop that Yale offensive coordinator Kevin Cahill accepted the job. But that report has since been deleted.

Mocs123
February 5th, 2019, 03:31 PM
No coach on signing day....why would an AD let this happen? I would think the loss of a recruiting class would be quite damaging to the program for several years.

DFW HOYA
February 5th, 2019, 04:10 PM
No coach on signing day....why would an AD let this happen? I would think the loss of a recruiting class would be quite damaging to the program for several years.

Bucknell signed 11 in the early signing period.

Most PL schools filled up early. Georgetown signed only five, but that's a different situation.

grizband
February 5th, 2019, 11:31 PM
Bucknell signed 11 in the early signing period.

Most PL schools filled up early. Georgetown signed only five, but that's a different situation.Is 11 a full signing class?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Franks Tanks
February 6th, 2019, 06:55 AM
Simply amazing that Bucknell does not have a head coach on signing day. I don’t believe they even officially designated someone as an interim coach. Firing a coach in mid-Jan or so, and not having someone else lined up is just incredibly dumb. Other than medical or other unforeseen issues, I don’t recall any programs being without a head coach on signing day.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 6th, 2019, 08:47 AM
FootballScoop just reported that Dave Cecchini is going to be the next head football coach at Bucknell. I am stunned.

PAllen
February 6th, 2019, 08:49 AM
FootballScoop just reported that Dave Cecchini is going to be the next head football coach at Bucknell. I am stunned.

If true, I am pissed.

Franks Tanks
February 6th, 2019, 09:22 AM

Wow, great hire for the Bison. I still can’t believe Joe Sterrett conducted a 6 week search and ended up with Tom Gilmore.

bison137
February 6th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Simply amazing that Bucknell does not have a head coach on signing day. I don’t believe they even officially designated someone as an interim coach. Firing a coach in mid-Jan or so, and not having someone else lined up is just incredibly dumb. Other than medical or other unforeseen issues, I don’t recall any programs being without a head coach on signing day.

I don't have a full story, but it was not nearly that simple. There were ongoing negotiations where he might have returned for one more year. No agreement was reached and he stepped down. Unclear if he was fired or just told this was his last year. No extension. It is possible there were some health concerns as well, but I don't know.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 6th, 2019, 11:40 AM
Noon has come and gone and there is no official announcement yet from Bucknell on whether the rumor posted on FootballScoop.com is true or false.

ngineer
February 6th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Right now, just a rumor. I would be surprised if true. While I can understand Bucky wanting to hire someone offensively minded, I don't see Chick leaving Valpo, where he just got a contract extension a year or so ago, is well liked and respected with starting to turn their program around. Another year or two of progress I would think result in much better opportunities. His wife is also a coach at Valpo. We shall see.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Right now, just a rumor. I would be surprised if true. While I can understand Bucky wanting to hire someone offensively minded, I don't see Chick leaving Valpo, where he just got a contract extension a year or so ago, is well liked and respected with starting to turn their program around. Another year or two of progress I would think result in much better opportunities. His wife is also a coach at Valpo. We shall see.

Disagree. An opportunity to kick Lehigh's ass after they hired Tom Gilmore?!? He'd relish the opportunity. Bucknell would be getting a highly motivated Cech imo. That's what that program needs right now...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 6th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Chick's Twitter account is retweeting Valpo commits, FWIW.

Laker
February 6th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Noon has come and gone and there is no official announcement yet from Bucknell on whether the rumor posted on FootballScoop.com is true or false.

All that I've seen is from Football Scoop.

http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-bucknell-hire-active-fcs-head-coach/

Go Green
February 6th, 2019, 02:54 PM
Chick's Twitter account is retweeting Valpo commits, FWIW.

Valpo is not commenting (i.e., not denying) the story either.

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/report-valparaiso-football-coach-cecchini-leaving-for-bucknell/article_dd83b930-2e88-5559-a445-ee6487e954bd.html

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 6th, 2019, 03:44 PM
It's official!

I love it! These Lehigh-HC games and Lehigh-Bucknell games are going to be great! Gilmore better be ready to roll!!

BucBisonAtLarge
February 6th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Ray, Bucknell

Now, some offense, please...

https://bucknellbison.com/news/2019/2/6/dave-cecchini-named-head-football-coach-at-bucknell.aspx

Laker
February 6th, 2019, 04:42 PM
http://valpoathletics.com/football/news/2018-19/18816/valpo-football-coach-dave-cecchini-accepts-position-at-bucknell-university/

PAllen
February 6th, 2019, 08:35 PM
Good luck to Bucknell, you chose a good one. If you have a better season than Lehigh, then Joe Sterrett should be gone before Christmas. He won't be, but he should.

Go...gate
February 6th, 2019, 10:51 PM
Great hire by Bucknell!