PDA

View Full Version : Heads Rolling, Staff Shake-up at Lehigh?

ngineer
January 12th, 2019, 06:38 PM
Word today at Lehigh's big wrestling match with #7 Cornell was that new HC Tom Gilmore was letting a 'number' of coaches on Lehigh's football staff go. Not sure on who and the number of casualties, but we shall see.

clenz
January 12th, 2019, 06:40 PM
A coaching change almost always comes with massive staff turnover

NBD

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RichH2
January 12th, 2019, 06:53 PM
So far Anthony Dimichele RB/DB coach and Charlie Noonan DL coach reportedly hired by TG. Dimichele played for TG and he and Noonan were hired by TG and kept by Chesney.

ngineer
January 12th, 2019, 07:18 PM
So far Anthony Dimichele RB/DB coach and Charlie Noonan DL coach reportedly hired by TG. Dimichele played for TG and he and Noonan were hired by TG and kept by Chesney.

So Don Roberts is gone? I think the players like Don a lot. Will be interesting to hear of any reaction if so, unless kept in another capacity.

Franks Tanks
January 12th, 2019, 07:27 PM
Shocking, new football coach dismisses assistants.

RichH2
January 12th, 2019, 08:04 PM
So Don Roberts is gone? I think the players like Don a lot. Will be interesting to hear of any reaction if so, unless kept in another capacity.

On Cross board Noonan to be LB coach.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 12th, 2019, 08:14 PM

Roberts has been a great program guy but his DL's have been a disaster the last 5-6 years. He has to have some sort of tenure at the university. Not sure if that matters for coaches...lol

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 12th, 2019, 08:16 PM
A coaching change almost always comes with massive staff turnover

NBD

I agree! Given the Coen situation, there was a lot of belief the staff/coordinators were running the team for the most part anyway. While there were some good guys in there, a reset I think was needed for everyone.

I would like to see one or two Lehigh guys get a shot. You need that from a cultural standpoint imo.....

ngineer
January 12th, 2019, 08:36 PM
We have typically had at least one or two alums on the coaching staff.

Go...gate
January 12th, 2019, 10:45 PM
New broom sweeps clean.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 12th, 2019, 10:56 PM
New broom sweeps clean.

I'm interested to see how the defense turns out. The Gilmore-Kashurba combo at Holy Cross was hot garbage. This will test the twos defensive prowess.....

Likewise the offense if Brisson remains the OC. The "O" had zero creativity this year despite plenty of skill talent.

Neighbor2
January 13th, 2019, 07:05 AM
No question Lehigh’s Offensive attack the past few years was “offensive” to longtime Lehigh fans who have enjoyed more creative stuff in years past. The players at Lehigh are capable of handling a thicker playbook, I think. The recent few seasons have been UN-inventive, UN-remarkable, and UN-inspiring. That Lehigh under Gilmore needs a fresh look . . . . . UN-deniable.

RichH2
January 13th, 2019, 08:40 AM
No question Lehigh’s Offensive attack the past few years was “offensive” to longtime Lehigh fans who have enjoyed more creative stuff in years past. The players at Lehigh are capable of handling a thicker playbook, I think. The recent few seasons have been UN-inventive, UN-remarkable, and UN-inspiring. That Lehigh under Gilmore needs a fresh look . . . . . UN-deniable.

Innovation has been absent for Lehigh for a while. Our best Os over the years have had talent but their success was based mostly on out scheming Ds. All the versions of AirLehigh utilized all the skill players. LU has been stuck in an offensive rut for a while. A one back spread with 4-5 WRs. TEs are for decoration only. RBs rarely get thrown to. WR screens are the go to play. The O requires exceptional talent. When we have that, it works.
TG had some great Os at Cross with Pujols and Randolph. Without that talent at QB , the O was at best pedestrian with little imagination.Cross could not mount a running attack. Result very little scoring.
My question is what is the plan going forward. Their is a lot of talent on the O. Our only true needs are a capable QB and much improved offensive schemes and play calls.

Lehigh'98
January 14th, 2019, 08:18 AM
I would hardly call that heads rolling. Seems like the same coordinators are still in place besides Sutyak. A house cleaning was in order and we dusted off the tv screen.

ngineer
January 14th, 2019, 12:02 PM
I would hardly call that heads rolling. Seems like the same coordinators are still in place besides Sutyak. A house cleaning was in order and we dusted off the tv screen.

Oh, I don't think we're finished with the staff review....I think there will still be some more moves.

ngineer
January 14th, 2019, 12:08 PM
If people recall, John Loose, for DC for Lafayette for 14 years, and now at Army, was mentioned as a possible candidate to be the new HC at Lehigh. Another 'defense oriented' guy. Well, if we made a run at loose, I see why we were not successful as Army promoted him yesterday to Defensive Coordinator, of which he was interim for their bowl game, as their former DC left to become the new HC at UNC. Being the DC at Army can very well lead to some bigger openings at the FBS level. Plus, the Black Knights are on a pretty good roll right now.

Lehigh'98
January 14th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Oh, I don't think we're finished with the staff review....I think there will still be some more moves.

There will be more position moves, but I'm pretty sure Kashurba & Brisson will be the coordinators for next season. Very curious as to how much assistant salaries and retention played into this hire. Guessing more than I had hoped.

RichH2
January 14th, 2019, 01:44 PM
There will be more position moves, but I'm pretty sure Kashurba & Brisson will be the coordinators for next season. Very curious as to how much assistant salaries and retention played into this hire. Guessing more than I had hoped.

Available salary funds are always an issue. AD has not seen any significant budget increase in quite a while. For now only way to increase assts pay is by endowing HC as soccer just did. Have no issue with Kashurba as DC. Brisson?? Upside is he is an excellent recruiter. When he was announced, I was enthusiastic. Trained under Cecchini and Folmar. Not much better around as mentors. He fell well short of expectations last year. Perhaps not a fair assessment given the OL catastrophe. That is all we have tho so far. TG, Sterrett et al are aware of what the O failed to do last year. I would hate to think they have decided to keep him solely for budgetary reasons. If so,better off IMO to go short another asst and get capable OC. For now,I'm going with last year was an anomaly.I hope. :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 14th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Sounds like Sutyak is officially out as DC. Thank Goodness! OL coach gone too?

I just pray the Gilmore-Kashurba "South" combo works better than the Gilmore-Kashurba "North" combo did....

clenz
January 14th, 2019, 02:44 PM
I'm being serious:

Any time there is a HC change, and it isn't an internal replacement hire, and more than like 3 guys keep their jobs it's pretty damn amazingly rare.

Hell, NDSU went with an internal hire and still turned over over half the staff.

It's always understood the assistants contracts are tied to the HC contract. Once that HC contract doesn't exist anymore the assumption is always the assistant no longer has a job - even if it isn't quite official yet.

RichH2
January 14th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Sounds like Sutyak is officially out as DC. Thank Goodness! OL coach gone too?

I just pray the Gilmore-Kashurba "South" combo works better than the Gilmore-Kashurba "North" combo did....

Agreed.
A thought. Roberts on DL. Likely still paid at co-DC level. A move there and a bit more $ to spend on assts

RichH2
January 14th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Per scoop
Sutyak and Bandy are gone.

PAllen
January 14th, 2019, 05:28 PM
I'm being serious:

Any time there is a HC change, and it isn't an internal replacement hire, and more than like 3 guys keep their jobs it's pretty damn amazingly rare.

Hell, NDSU went with an internal hire and still turned over over half the staff.

It's always understood the assistants contracts are tied to the HC contract. Once that HC contract doesn't exist anymore the assumption is always the assistant no longer has a job - even if it isn't quite official yet.

The difference here is that TG is sort of an internal hire with a 15 year interlude.

clenz
January 14th, 2019, 05:34 PM
The difference here is that TG is sort of an internal hire with a 15 year interlude.Which means he isn't an internal hire.

ngineer
January 14th, 2019, 07:46 PM
I understand keeping Brisson for the recruiting consistency, but not impressed with the play calling or creativity (or lack thereof). Not sure how much of a QB mentor he is. Special teams needs attention. Kickoff coverage was horrible last year. Devine made improvements, but he's no Mish. I note we have a highly thought of P/K coming in August. I think a new HC usually keeps a couple around for transition and "institutional memory" purposes. How they perform that first year determines if they remain thereafter. I see Tom keeping Roberts, Ward, and, perhaps, Brisson for these purposes.

RichH2
January 14th, 2019, 07:51 PM
I understand keeping Brisson for the recruiting consistency, but not impressed with the play calling or creativity (or lack thereof). Not sure how much of a QB mentor he is. Special teams needs attention. Kickoff coverage was horrible last year. Devine made improvements, but he's no Mish. I note we have a highly thought of P/K coming in August. I think a new HC usually keeps a couple around for transition and "institutional memory" purposes. How they perform that first year determines if they remain thereafter. I see Tom keeping Roberts, Ward, and, perhaps, Brisson for these purposes.

Ford looks like he is on the keep list.

ngineer
January 14th, 2019, 07:59 PM
Ford looks like he is on the keep list.

If so, hopefully more than "TE's Coach"....Another bitch about the play calling last year....

RichH2
January 14th, 2019, 08:24 PM
If so, hopefully more than "TE's Coach"....Another bitch about the play calling last year....

If there was ever a coaching position with zero purpose, TE coach last year was it. Wouldnt mind seeing Matt coaching OL.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 14th, 2019, 09:56 PM
If there was ever a coaching position with zero purpose, TE coach last year was it. Wouldnt mind seeing Matt coaching OL.

http://hellophd.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/li9lzmp.jpg

ngineer
January 15th, 2019, 11:21 AM
http://hellophd.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/li9lzmp.jpgxbowxxdizzyxxthumbsupx

UNHWildcat18
January 15th, 2019, 02:35 PM
I still can't believe you guys hired TG out of all of the possible coaches to hire.....

Lehigh'98
January 16th, 2019, 08:54 AM
I still can't believe you guys hired TG out of all of the possible coaches to hire.....

You are not the only one

DFW HOYA
January 16th, 2019, 09:42 AM

Lehigh and Lafayette now have two coaches with more questions than answers. May be a long run ahead for the Red Raiders.

Neighbor2
January 16th, 2019, 10:34 AM
I continue to believe Patriot League rules and restrictions that hinder competitiveness OUTSIDE the league is a turn-off to many potential coaching candidates coming from a level above Division 2 ball.

Believing a Patriot League position IS seen as a stepping-stone by most candidates, wins and losses DO matter. This means a coach needs to win most every league game and 2-3 games outside the conference on a regular basis to build an impressive overall winning percentage. As it is now, even the Ivy League has an upper hand on our teams.

ngineer
January 16th, 2019, 12:57 PM

While Joe said there was a lot of interest (reported 70+ applications), I think once a lot of them saw what they would have to endure with the PL restrictions, which could result in a hinderance on any plan to ascend up the proverbial FCS to FBS ladder. Very difficult to consistently (~80% of the time) be going 8-3 or better, which is needed to get attention, unless one has other connections. So while I think all of the PL schools have an "attractiveness" about them, once prospectives do some digging, I think a good number look elsewhere. Salary is also another restriction.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 16th, 2019, 01:39 PM

Ohh I think most people are still scratching their heads and will do so until the 1st game. At this point it's water under the bridge. I'm trusting the strength of the program will allow Gilmore to succeed at a much higher level than he did at Holy Cross. If things go sideways hopefully he doesn't stick around too long. He's inheriting a skilled roster. There's clearly flaws on defense but overall 1-60 there's guys who can ball. The team/program was in a tough spot with Coen's health situation. Better direction and less strain on the assistants should result in immediate improvement. No Princeton, Fordham and Holy Cross debacles in 2019.

RichH2
January 16th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Ohh I think most people are still scratching their heads and will do so until the 1st game. At this point it's water under the bridge. I'm trusting the strength of the program will allow Gilmore to succeed at a much higher level than he did at Holy Cross. If things go sideways hopefully he doesn't stick around too long. He's inheriting a skilled roster. There's clearly flaws on defense but overall 1-60 there's guys who can ball. The team/program was in a tough spot with Coen's health situation. Better direction and less strain on the assistants should result in immediate improvement. No Princeton, Fordham and Holy Cross debacles in 2019.

+1

ngineer
January 16th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Word on Lehigh forum is that Roberts is out as DL assistant, Bandy out as OL assistant and Sutyak out as DC. No direct announcements on replacements. Supposedly, Roberts taking position in AD office. The trenches is where it's won, so hopefully Gilmore will be able to replace with some people who will elevate the game. Roberts well liked by the players, so new guy will have work cut out in several areas. Bandy dealt bad hand having just come in and then hamstrung with all the injuries on the OL. Seemed like a decent guy, but such is life in college football coaching ranks.

RichH2
January 16th, 2019, 09:02 PM
According to TG interview at 1/2 time, coach assignments will be announced next week.

RichH2
January 21st, 2019, 10:06 AM
per Footballscoop.

Chrs Zarkoskie has been hired as the new OL coach. A UNH grad in 13. Coached TEs at UNH until hired by Brown last year as their OL coach. A 3 year starter on the OL for UNH.

carney2
January 22nd, 2019, 09:07 AM
Lehigh and Lafayette now have two coaches with more questions than answers. May be a long run ahead for the Red Raiders.

Fewer and fewer questions at Lafayette. Garrett is simply unfit to be a head coach and nothing will move forward as long as he is in the position. That leaves very few questions.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 22nd, 2019, 12:09 PM

For Lehigh I think its "trust the program". There's a track record of legitimate success with each of the previous 7 hires. I think Gilmore will have success at Lehigh. But I'm not sure if he can notch playoff victories, have a presence in the Top 25 and put together a run of 8-10 win seasons.

Don't forget about Fordham. They're bringing in reinforcements for 2019. The Rams greatly underachieved in 2018 relative to their talent level.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 22nd, 2019, 12:57 PM
No coaching candidate coming into a PL school in January would have had more experience recruiting PL players than Gilmore, and with the aggressiveness he and the staff appear to be taking in recruiting during this secondary period that seems to be paying off so far. To me he has definitely infused the program with energy on the recruiting trail and kept some of these great recruiters (like Ford) on the staff that were doing well before he arrived.

RichH2
January 22nd, 2019, 02:31 PM
per Footballscoop.

Chrs Zarkoskie has been hired as the new OL coach. A UNH grad in 13. Coached TEs at UNH until hired by Brown last year as their OL coach. A 3 year starter on the OL for UNH.

No coaching candidate coming into a PL school in January would have had more experience recruiting PL players than Gilmore, and with the aggressiveness he and the staff appear to be taking in recruiting during this secondary period that seems to be paying off so far. To me he has definitely infused the program with energy on the recruiting trail and kept some of these great recruiters (like Ford) on the staff that were doing well before he arrived.

He also brought in 2 of Crusaders' best recruiters. It has been a few years since I've seen this much recruiting activity nationally for us.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 22nd, 2019, 04:09 PM
He also brought in 2 of Crusaders' best recruiters. It has been a few years since I've seen this much recruiting activity nationally for us.

This staff has clearly been active in recruiting. Hopefully they land at least a handful of these standout guys.

Of the PA PL schools Lafayette and Bucknell are in way way more trouble right now than Lehigh. Gilmore has the platform to succeed. If he's calmed down at least some and can improve his late game rationale Lehigh will be good. How good is TBD....

RichH2
January 22nd, 2019, 04:26 PM
This staff has clearly been active in recruiting. Hopefully they land at least a handful of these standout guys.

Of the PA PL schools Lafayette and Bucknell are in way way more trouble right now than Lehigh. Gilmore has the platform to succeed. If he's calmed down at least some and can improve his late game rationale Lehigh will be good. How good is TBD....

Hard to say how Pards and Bison compare. Agree that LU has a much more solid base of talent. TG does seem to be building a good staff. Love Tom's fire and intensity. Hopefully he has learned to leave late game play calls to his assts. I am sure he picked up more than few lessons from 2 of the best in Clawson and Higgins.

ngineer
January 29th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Heard that Brisson had interviewed for some open HC positions (FCS/DII), but after meeting with TG decided to stay at Lehigh. As a person, I think he's a great guy and has good rapport with the players. He's also reported to be a very good recruiter. I have not been enamored with the play calling/lack of creativity. Now, perhaps that was do to this year's problems with the OL and the lack of confidence for needed blocking to do 'more', but I am still waiting to be convinced that he's "the guy" for our offense.

RichH2
January 29th, 2019, 09:49 PM
Heard that Brisson had interviewed for some open HC positions (FCS/DII), but after meeting with TG decided to stay at Lehigh. As a person, I think he's a great guy and has good rapport with the players. He's also reported to be a very good recruiter. I have not been enamored with the play calling/lack of creativity. Now, perhaps that was do to this year's problems with the OL and the lack of confidence for needed blocking to do 'more', but I am still waiting to be convinced that he's "the guy" for our offense.

Me too.