PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbits TC replacement?

Schism55
January 11th, 2019, 10:30 AM
https://twitter.com/JackIllustrated/status/1083733893113659393

CappinHard
January 11th, 2019, 11:29 AM
It will either be him or one of the 2 freshman, Gibbs or Connors. This makes me feel better about next season knowing that if we go with one of the freshman, they had to beat out a quality QB.

JacksFan40
January 11th, 2019, 11:32 AM
I thought it’d be Gibbs but Walding will shake things up.

TheKingpin28
January 11th, 2019, 12:17 PM
If I was SDSU, and I mean honestly, I'd go with the Freshman and let him take his bumps and bruises his first year and then have 3 years to spin it and build continuity and confidence. It's why I'd rather have NDSU start Trey Lance over Zeb Noland, but if Zeb can prove he deserves the #1, then I am good with that.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
January 11th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Some people think NDSU signed Noland just so he couldn't go to SDSU. :)

CappinHard
January 11th, 2019, 02:28 PM
If I was SDSU, and I mean honestly, I'd go with the Freshman and let him take his bumps and bruises his first year and then have 3 years to spin it and build continuity and confidence. It's why I'd rather have NDSU start Trey Lance over Zeb Noland, but if Zeb can prove he deserves the #1, then I am good with that.

If a Freshman is good enough, sure... but I don't want to just throw him in there for the sake of having continuity for 4 years if that's going to be at the expense of a year. We have a pretty solid team coming back, and we need to play the best QB for next year, regardless of long term ramifications imo.

Redbird 4th & short
January 12th, 2019, 11:23 AM
If a Freshman is good enough, sure... but I don't want to just throw him in there for the sake of having continuity for 4 years if that's going to be at the expense of a year. We have a pretty solid team coming back, and we need to play the best QB for next year, regardless of long term ramifications imo.
with so much coming back for SDSU .. combined with NDSU losing so much ... agree 1000%. MVFC teams need to go all in next year .. this is the year to over-take NDSU, moreso than 2014 IMO ... it is not the year to think long term and develop a FR for sake of 2+ years from now.

mmiller_34
January 13th, 2019, 10:39 AM

Lol. Ok. Pretty sure the Bison coaches are smarter than that and don’t mis-use a scholarship. That may happen with PWO offers but there is no way the Bison would waste a scholarship like that.

Bisonoline
January 14th, 2019, 12:42 AM

Then they are idiots.

Thumper 76
January 14th, 2019, 08:27 AM
I guess we will see how this pans out, I’m pretty middle of the road on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2019, 11:00 AM
I guess we will see how this pans out, I’m pretty middle of the road on this.

I see you got rid of the avatar that made you look better. xsmhx

Thumper 76
January 14th, 2019, 11:04 AM
I see you got rid of the avatar that made you look better. xsmhx

Well the bet was over so I can post without feeling ashamed for a while

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2019, 11:22 AM

Until your team takes the field again and realizes the trophy cabinet is still missing a few things. xcoffeex

POD Knows
January 14th, 2019, 11:23 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhy don't you use this pic for your avatar.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29876&stc=1

Thumper 76
January 14th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Until your team takes the field again and realizes the trophy cabinet is still missing a few things. xcoffeex
*football cabinet*

Why don't you use this pic for your avatar.

That’s not nice

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2019, 12:45 PM
*football cabinet, that doesn't exist*

That’s not nice

FYP

Thumper 76
January 14th, 2019, 01:16 PM
FYP

Nah, we got a boatload of the MVFC highest team GPA awards, so there’s that.

IBleedYellow
January 14th, 2019, 02:08 PM
If he's good....yikes.

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Nah, we got a boatload of the MVFC highest team GPA awards, so there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot that hard when you don't consistently miss 4 weeks of class due to the playoffs running into December. xthumbsupx

uni88
January 14th, 2019, 07:21 PM

I think he was hurting physically and wasn't quite right in the head on that play. The fact that he was getting the crap knocked out of him and kept on playing says a lot about his toughness (and makes me question wtf was the SDSU training staff doing).

dewey
January 14th, 2019, 10:13 PM
I think he was hurting physically and wasn't quite right in the head on that play. The fact that he was getting the crap knocked out of him and kept on playing says a lot about his toughness (and makes me question wtf was the SDSU training staff doing).

I am sure people will just dismiss my question since I am a Bison fan but i was shocked to see TC get knocked out and then go back into the game.

Someone should be questioning the coaches and medical staff at SDSU after that.

Dewey

uni88
January 14th, 2019, 10:52 PM
I am sure people will just dismiss my question since I am a Bison fan but i was shocked to see TC get knocked out and then go back into the game.

DeweyI agree. Have you ever had a concussion or got your bell rung? Your thinking often gets "fuzzy" and you can misinterpret situations and make odd decisions like that slide.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
January 14th, 2019, 10:54 PM

Dewey

Not one person checked him out.

POD Knows
January 15th, 2019, 07:27 AM

DeweyThey have let people play with concussions before, I think the TC slide short of a first down was the perfect image for that program. xcoffeex

Bison56
January 15th, 2019, 07:50 AM
I agree. Have you ever had a concussion or got your bell rung? Your thinking often gets "fuzzy" and you can misinterpret situations and make odd decisions like that slide.

I have played with a concussion, I don't remember a thing that happened after I was hit, but I have seen the film and I was on the field for a bit, had no idea what I was doing. By the time I came around I was confused that the game was almost over.

Redbird 4th & short
January 15th, 2019, 07:50 AM

Thumper ... some Jack Fan (maybe you ?) once speculated that TC was playing with concussion againt JMU in 2017 playoff game when he had all the turnovers. Was there any unofficial concensus about TC playing that game with concussion .. as explanation for all the turnovers.

Thumper 76
January 15th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Not that hard when you don't consistently miss 4 weeks of class due to the playoffs running into December. xthumbsupx

I think you were going for January, but sure.

Thumper 76
January 15th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Thumper ... some Jack Fan (maybe you ?) once speculated that TC was playing with concussion againt JMU in 2017 playoff game when he had all the turnovers. Was there any unofficial concensus about TC playing that game with concussion .. as explanation for all the turnovers.

Nobody speculated concussion for JMU. That was hand/wrist.

TheKingpin28
January 15th, 2019, 05:07 PM
I think you were going for January, but sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Seasons for SDSU ended here:

2011 - November 12
2012 - December 1
2013 - December 7
2014 - December 6
2015 - November 28
2016 - December 10
2017 - December 16
2018 - December 14

Average margin for days missed between end of season to Championship game is 33.38 days between the end of the season and when the championship occurs, so you have an extra month to study. Case and point as it is closer to 5 weeks instead of 4. Hell take away 2011 and the number is still 31.57 between the end of the season for SDSU and the championship.

And yes, I meant the championship.

Thumper 76
January 15th, 2019, 05:28 PM
Seasons for SDSU ended here:

2011 - November 12
2012 - December 1
2013 - December 7
2014 - December 6
2015 - November 28
2016 - December 10
2017 - December 16
2018 - December 14

Average margin for days missed between end of season to Championship game is 33.38 days between the end of the season and when the championship occurs, so you have an extra month to study. Case and point as it is closer to 5 weeks instead of 4. Hell take away 2011 and the number is still 31.57 between the end of the season for SDSU and the championship.

I see six years going into December. But, I would get real specific after a previous point being wrong xlolx

But hey, whatever you gotta do to belittle getting a higher GPA. Personally I would have gone after school ranks and such, but your route is good as well.

TheKingpin28
January 15th, 2019, 05:30 PM
I see six years going into December. But, I would get real specific after a previous point being wrong xlolx

But hey, whatever you gotta do to belittle getting a higher GPA. Personally I would have gone after school ranks and such, but your route is good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNever kick a man when he is already down.

Redbird 4th & short
January 15th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Nobody speculated concussion for JMU. That was hand/wrist.

I should rephrase .. someone here wondered about TC concussion out loud, might be better way to put it .. and I'm not recalling who .. anyway ...

Still interesting that TC was left in that game too if he was hurt enough to implode like that .. that was surreal as it happened .. and I'm a TC fan.

clenz
January 15th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Seasons for SDSU ended here:

2011 - November 12
2012 - December 1
2013 - December 7
2014 - December 6
2015 - November 28
2016 - December 10
2017 - December 16
2018 - December 14

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkFinals are like the second week of December.

NDSU also has always had a first round bye.
Then played at home

You're players aren't missing class time.

And at the FCS level if they are letting football get in the way of their grades...well...then...the GPA being lower may indicate why it's lower without needing to go any further into why it's lower.

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Finals are like the second week of December.

Then played at home

And at the FCS level if they are letting football get in the way of their grades...well...then...the GPA being lower may indicate why it's lower without needing to go any further into why it's lower.
not losing any sleep over this one ... but further consider the 1st round is almost always (maybe always) the weekend right after Thanksgiving. ISU gives students the whole week off .. got to eblieve many schools do same or at least given them Wed off with little/no homework over holiday. So that 1st playoff week is a wash too .. not that NDSU ever plays that week, but most others do.

Preferred Walk-On
January 18th, 2019, 01:56 PM
Finals are like the second week of December.

Then played at home

I was going to say this from the point of view of the Jackrabbits, in that by going to mid-December and playing first round games, and with finals/graduation being mid-December, they are missing as much, if not more "study" time than Bison players.

CappinHard
June 6th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Walding is no longer listed on the roster. Not sure what happened, but apparently he's not going to play football for SDSU this year. Looking like Gibbs will likely be the guy. Dual threat guy that had an offer from Eastern Michigan and interest from Purdue, Illinois, NIU, and WMU. He's been described by many as a "grown a$$ man (https://twitter.com/Fickbohm/status/1066542247888457728)", even in his redshirt year. Definitely has the physical traits to be ready to go this year. As long as he has it mentally, he could be really good.

Hammersmith
June 8th, 2019, 12:38 AM

Interestingly enough, I believe NDSU won the MVFC academic trophy this year. Just thought it was funny considering the direction this thread took.

Thumper 76
June 10th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Walding is no longer listed on the roster. Not sure what happened, but apparently he's not going to play football for SDSU this year. Looking like Gibbs will likely be the guy. Dual threat guy that had an offer from Eastern Michigan and interest from Purdue, Illinois, NIU, and WMU. He's been described by many as a "grown a$$ man (https://twitter.com/Fickbohm/status/1066542247888457728)", even in his redshirt year. Definitely has the physical traits to be ready to go this year. As long as he has it mentally, he could be really good.

Loads of potential and a lot of weapons to work with, can’t ask for a much better situation to be able to start with. Hope he takes advantage of it, should be the difference between a decent and great year.

Thumper 76
June 10th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Interestingly enough, I believe NDSU won the MVFC academic trophy this year. Just thought it was funny considering the direction this thread took.

That is about the way it would go with me opening my mouth.

CappinHard
June 10th, 2019, 03:47 PM
That is about the way it would go with me opening my mouth.

From experience, I would say that you opening your mouth drops the intelligence level of the conversation you enter, but I doubt it dropped SDSU students' GPAs... don't be too hard on yourself. xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
June 10th, 2019, 05:07 PM
From experience, I would say that you opening your mouth drops the intelligence level of the conversation you enter, but I doubt it dropped SDSU students' GPAs... don't be too hard on yourself. xdrunkyx

Oh, no, it definitely did that as well xlolx

clenz
June 11th, 2019, 12:49 PM
What was NDSU's team GPA?

Given the bragging by Texas about their all time GPA record being set with a team GPA of 2.98 I've been curious about other teams GPAs.

UNI didn't release football team GPA but in the press release they were in the category of "teams over 3.0" but they weren't the highest mens team meaning they were somewhere between 3.0 and 3.3

Hammersmith
June 11th, 2019, 08:12 PM
What was NDSU's team GPA?

Given the bragging by Texas about their all time GPA record being set with a team GPA of 2.98 I've been curious about other teams GPAs.

UNI didn't release football team GPA but in the press release they were in the category of "teams over 3.0" but they weren't the highest mens team meaning they were somewhere between 3.0 and 3.3

2.99 fall, 3.03 spring.
(NDSU football semester record is 3.06 - set in spring 2017)

Not everything was released, but this is what was in the paper:

Fall 2018
3.65 - women's basketball (record)
3.60 - softball (record)
3.32 - average student-athlete GPA
3.31 - wrestling (record)
3.17 - average NDSU GPA (undergrad)
2.99 - football
2.90 - men's basketball (lowest)

Spring 2019
3.78 - women's basketball (highest) (record)
3.67 - softball (record)
3.42 - average student-athlete GPA
3.13 - average NDSU GPA (undergrad)
3.09 - men's basketball
3.03 - football

https://gobison.com/news/2019/1/11/general-bison-student-athletes-combine-for-3-3-gpa-in-fall-semester.aspx
https://www.inforum.com/sports/1339960-Bison-athletes-knocking-it-out-of-the-park-on-the-academic-side

In the MVFC, NDSU football had the highest APR, the 2nd most President's Council Academic Awards(after YSU), the most Commissioner's Academic Excellence Awards, the most Honor Roll Awards, the most MVFC all-academic team selections, and tied with SDSU for the most national Academic All-American selections. I don't know if NDSU had the highest team GPA; there doesn't seem to be an award for it, and I didn't see a news release from anyone saying they had the highest.

(only pointed out the other stuff because I found it while looking for the best MVFC GPA and was going to find some way to use it after spending all that time :) )

https://valley-football.org/news/2019/2/14/football-mvfc-announces-2018-academic-honors.aspx
https://valley-football.org/news/2018/11/27/football-mvfc-announces-2018-all-academic-team.aspx
https://valley-football.org/news/2018/12/10/football-six-in-mvfc-honored-as-academic-all-americans.aspx?print=true

Redbird 4th & short
June 12th, 2019, 09:53 AM
2.99 fall, 3.03 spring.
(NDSU football semester record is 3.06 - set in spring 2017)

Not everything was released, but this is what was in the paper:

Fall 2018
3.65 - women's basketball (record)
3.60 - softball (record)
3.32 - average student-athlete GPA
3.31 - wrestling (record)
3.17 - average NDSU GPA (undergrad)
2.99 - football
2.90 - men's basketball (lowest)

Spring 2019
3.78 - women's basketball (highest) (record)
3.67 - softball (record)
3.42 - average student-athlete GPA
3.13 - average NDSU GPA (undergrad)
3.09 - men's basketball
3.03 - football

https://gobison.com/news/2019/1/11/general-bison-student-athletes-combine-for-3-3-gpa-in-fall-semester.aspx
https://www.inforum.com/sports/1339960-Bison-athletes-knocking-it-out-of-the-park-on-the-academic-side

In the MVFC, NDSU football had the highest APR, the 2nd most President's Council Academic Awards(after YSU), the most Commissioner's Academic Excellence Awards, the most Honor Roll Awards, the most MVFC all-academic team selections, and tied with SDSU for the most national Academic All-American selections. I don't know if NDSU had the highest team GPA; there doesn't seem to be an award for it, and I didn't see a news release from anyone saying they had the highest.

(only pointed out the other stuff because I found it while looking for the best MVFC GPA and was going to find some way to use it after spending all that time :) )

https://valley-football.org/news/2019/2/14/football-mvfc-announces-2018-academic-honors.aspx
https://valley-football.org/news/2018/11/27/football-mvfc-announces-2018-all-academic-team.aspx
https://valley-football.org/news/2018/12/10/football-six-in-mvfc-honored-as-academic-all-americans.aspx?print=true
not that I have never contributed to thread drift here and elsewhere ... and in most mtgs I attend at work ..... but how we go from TC replacement to NDSU GPA is bit of stretch even for me ... you might move this to the NCAA FCS APR for MVFC thread I just started, which I initially was going to post here .. then let the silly banter begin in earnest !!!!!

Bisonoline
June 12th, 2019, 03:23 PM
not that I have never contributed to thread drift here and elsewhere ... and in most mtgs I attend at work ..... but how we go from TC replacement to NDSU GPA is bit of stretch even for me ... you might move this to the NCAA FCS APR for MVFC thread I just started, which I initially was going to post here .. then let the silly banter begin in earnest !!!!!

How? Somebody asked.

Redbird 4th & short
June 12th, 2019, 04:12 PM
How? Somebody asked.
i know ... but it's a good topic that I thought deserved its own thread.

uni88
June 12th, 2019, 08:25 PM

I wonder what the statistics are on how many posts there are in a thread that isn't about NDSU before 1) there is an NDSU specific post and 2) the thread is completely hijacked to be about a topic that is complimentary to NDSU?

My apologies if this is question is perceived as unfriendly or chippy. xslapfightx

Redbird 4th & short
June 13th, 2019, 06:14 AM
I wonder what the statistics are on how many posts there are in a thread that isn't about NDSU before 1) there is an NDSU specific post and 2) the thread is completely hijacked to be about a topic that is complimentary to NDSU?

My apologies if this is question is perceived as unfriendly or chippy. xslapfightx

all we need to do is get a "word cloud" app, ask ursus to slap it on this forum for a week and see what we get

https://aptgadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/word-cloud-makers.png (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi81efpqebiAhVOmK0KHdUZBHUQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Faptgadget.com%2Fword-cloud-makers%2F&psig=AOvVaw1p0iDjdJTYBpoR4PbBdsHM&ust=1560510600365890)

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2019, 10:13 AM

Clenz (a MVSU fan) is the one who brought it up.

clenz
June 13th, 2019, 12:53 PM
So, I copied every single word in this thread and put it into a word cloud app. I didn't alter this at all....****ing rofl at the results

http://i64.tinypic.com/2wreplv.png

Redbird 4th & short
June 13th, 2019, 02:31 PM
So, I copied every single word in this thread and put it into a word cloud app. I didn't alter this at all....****ing rofl at the results

http://i64.tinypic.com/2wreplv.png

Too funny... and we still dont have a clue who TCs replacements might be.

Thumper 76
June 13th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Too funny... and we still dont have a clue who TCs replacements might be.

Well on that note it very much seems that Gibbs will be the front runner heading into fall camp after the Arizona State transfer decided he didn’t want to football anymore. He and Gibbs were supposedly neck and neck headed out of spring ball.

Gibbs seems to be a bigger version of TC with people describing his ball as a more catchable type of throw with more air under his passes instead of the flatter trajectory TC had that led to some of the massive overthrows that people were familiar with. He has all the physical tools but at one point was supposedly working out with the receivers for a while. It must have lit a fire under him because it appears he’s really come along well during spring ball.

Edit: here’s a good article on the current departure and qb situation from Zimmer
https://www.argusleader.com/story/blogs/mattzimmer/2019/06/10/arizona-state-transfer-quarterback-kurt-walding-leaves-sdsu-football-team/1415230001/

clenz
June 13th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Well on that note it very much seems that Gibbs will be the front runner heading into fall camp after the Arizona State transfer decided he didn’t want to football anymore. He and Gibbs were supposedly neck and neck headed out of spring ball.

Gibbs seems to be a bigger version of TC with people describing his ball as a more catchable type of throw with more air under his passes instead of the flatter trajectory TC had that led to some of the massive overthrows that people were familiar with. He has all the physical tools but at one point was supposedly working out with the receivers for a while. It must have lit a fire under him because it appears he’s really come along well during spring ball.

Edit: here’s a good article on the current departure and qb situation from Zimmer
https://www.argusleader.com/story/blogs/mattzimmer/2019/06/10/arizona-state-transfer-quarterback-kurt-walding-leaves-sdsu-football-team/1415230001/No one cares.

Someone get me Misery States team GPA

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
June 13th, 2019, 06:54 PM
No one cares.

again ! can we please stay focused on the point of this thread ... all things NDSU !!!!!

clenz
June 13th, 2019, 08:31 PM
Not until I get a full gpa report comparing TA and Steck at MSU

uni88
June 13th, 2019, 08:35 PM
again ! can we please stay focused on the point of this and every other thread ... all things NDSU !!!!!

FYP

We need to make sure Thumper doesn't stray too far from party doctrine or he'll be sent to a gulag near Minot for reeducation.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 13th, 2019, 08:45 PM

https://www.argusleader.com/story/blogs/mattzimmer/2019/06/10/arizona-state-transfer-quarterback-kurt-walding-leaves-sdsu-football-team/1415230001/

After some growing pains, he'll be a good one.

Thumper 76
June 13th, 2019, 08:47 PM
No one cares.

again ! can we please stay focused on the point of this thread ... all things NDSU !!!!!

FYP

We need to make sure Thumper doesn't stray too far from party doctrine or he'll be sent to a gulag near Minot for reeducation.

I am very sorry, I take it all back

uni88
June 13th, 2019, 09:50 PM
I am very sorry, I take it all backDon't you live in Fargo? Good God you're in the belly of the beast and need to be careful. Now say "the Bison have no flaws, they're the best thing since sliced bread" repeatedly so that the listening devices pick it up. ;)

Green1
June 13th, 2019, 10:18 PM
(imagine Yakov Smirnoff saying this)

In Fargo we have two TV channels. One shows only Bison highlights. The other has a man telling you to turn it back to the other channel.

cx500d
June 14th, 2019, 05:31 AM

It’s very similar to Godwin’s Law....perhaps a corollary

Thumper 76
June 14th, 2019, 11:39 AM
After some growing pains, he'll be a good one.

I hope. The college fb world is full of players who had a ton of potential that didn’t pan out.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 14th, 2019, 11:49 AM
I hope. The college fb world is full of players who had a ton of potential that didn’t pan out.

Kid definitely looks the part like Trey Lance does. They both could flop but I doubt it. No QB is polished right away. Both have good supporting casts so they don't need to be all world to win.

Both NDSU and SDSU will be fine.